Speaker 1: It's Me Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Brody, Corey, Nate, Omar, Sarah and John. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking. There's a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winner's choosing. We're starting today's show with a mail bag question. If you want some, if you want the crew to answer your question, send an email to Trivia at the medeater dot com. The subject line mail bag. This is from Eric from York. He says, any advice for staying warm on a cold winter hunt without overheating. I hunt Northern Pa and I usually walk one to two miles in then have long cold sits usually posted up in some sort of downfall. Any hips or gear suggestions to keep you warm without fully overheating. First, John, you work at the Flagship store downtown Bozeman. If Eric from York came into the store and told you his conundrum, what advice would you give him.
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing I would say is to Pa Guy, Yes, Yes, grew up in Spring Mills, Pennsylvania. I would say, pay attention to that next to skin layer. First, you have to keep yourself dry, and I just know from my experience, as soon as that next to skin layer gets soaked, it's game over for pretty much the entire day. So my recommendation would be whatever you're going to a tree stand or a ground blind, hike in with the least amount of stuff possible. Keep your body dry. It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be uncomfortable. But once you get to your stand or wherever you're hunting. I think he said he was sitting in like a pile blowover, downfall falls downfall, yep. Once you get there, take a second, let your body kind of dry out, vent.
Speaker 2: And then put on your heavier clothes.
Speaker 3: It's it's easier to be miserable for one hour hiking in than for the entire twelve day.
Speaker 4: Six.
Speaker 3: I would also recommend driving to your spot, whether you're leaving from camp or anything, don't put the heater on full blast when you're going from point A to point B. On going to a trailhead or whatever that makes your feet swet. And I've learned that the hard way as well.
Speaker 2: That catches up to you pretty quick. Brody. Any advice for this other PA hunter?
Speaker 5: No, I think John got it.
Speaker 6: I mean the main thing is hike cold, like and you're not even gonna be cold for that long unless it's like minus forty degrees or something like. You can hike in twenty fifteen twenty degree weather with like a base layer as your upper layer and you know, maybe some ljs and pants.
Speaker 1: But like, hike cold.
Speaker 5: And the other thing I would say is that don't be afraid to build a fire man.
Speaker 6: My dad and his buddies used to hunt the mountains in Pennsylvania all the time and they would stand around a fire often and they killed bucks doing it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And don't be afraid to pack an extra set of bass layers with you too.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think if you.
Speaker 3: Absolutely think you're not gonna make it through the entire day without sweating, have a dry setup and with bass layers to.
Speaker 6: Go like, it's just like a fact of life. If you're sitting still for ten hours, you're gonna get cold, Like. I don't think there's any like amount of layering, and that's gonna get you around. You're gonna get cold, so you're gonna have to get up and walk.
Speaker 2: Around now and then any other advice.
Speaker 4: For Eric A big proponent of taking the truck heater thing a step farther and never driving in the socks that I'm gonna wear into the field. Change the socks to the truck before you leave. You're gonna get sweaty.
Speaker 7: You're driving croc shoes coming handy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well, yeah, you gotta you gotta have the driving shoes, the hiking shoes.
Speaker 1: Big muff guy, put a muff on.
Speaker 2: I love a hand dude. I thought held when First Light and Fachef both came out with one.
Speaker 8: I'm an Fachf guy, big fan. But whatever, muff keeps your hands warm and then your fingers are nice and dexterous when you need to pull.
Speaker 2: Tryer, especially if you're like bow hunting or yeah, turkey hunting, we feel like you really need your fingers. Hand muffs are great. As the other folks said, layers so important. I love hand until warmers. I know some people like col absolutely hate them, like created by the devil himself, but they work and and they're cheap and effective and I find you know, toes and hands are the first thing to get cold, and those will get you through like a bad thirty minute stretch. They're also not heavy. There's rechargeable ones that exist.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my dad used those.
Speaker 2: Rechargeable Yeah, like Zippo has one. Yeah, there's one that you just plug a battery into or they are a battery.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if they still make them like that actually light them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I got a crazy one. What about using it.
Speaker 9: I'm not recommending this, but Tom Brady and his games and cold Game would use a wet suit, and I'm wondering if that would be interesting at all.
Speaker 10: The wet suit has to get water in it to sweat. You could sweat so much to run doesn't work.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: The last one I would say is I had a beard for like eight years and then I got rid of it like two years ago. And what a difference that made. Like a beard genuinely keeps your face warmer when it's really cold out. It made a difference. I don't know what your facial hair situation is, Eric, but like a beard in the fall is much better than doesn't work for any other advice from Eric or for Eric.
Speaker 7: Yeah, think about a down kit, down pants and down jacket packs.
Speaker 1: Tight and light, really light.
Speaker 7: A little bird, he told me first Light might be coming out with a new white tail specific pants and maybe eating something for your feet this fall.
Speaker 1: All right, to be on the lookout for that.
Speaker 2: Or we have some house key being there's one week left in the auction house of oddities. We have up for bid of kayak, bear hide, handmade boat dinosaur earrings, a boat motor, sign books, signboard games, and more. All the money goes to the Meat Eater Land Access Initiative, which creates more public access for hunters and anglers. Go check out the auction block at the meadeater dot com slash auction.
Speaker 5: Did you get a bid on that boat motor?
Speaker 2: Yet? There's one bid, a singular bid.
Speaker 1: That's the last great deal in that auction it is.
Speaker 2: I think it's even still a good deal. It could go a few thousand dollars and someone's still gonna come away feeling like they won. All right. The Shelby index for today is a four, so our winners should get eight correct answers. With that, we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop fill. Look, I need to know what I stand.
Speaker 10: To win everything?
Speaker 1: Just tend to win everything.
Speaker 2: Game on, Suckers should won. The topic is natural history. This first great question is via Titus McKenty. According to the National Drought Mitigation Center, which of these states was hit hardest by the dust Bowl? Is it Illinois, Oklahoma, Wyoming or Ohio? Quick answers from Nate Brody Corey According to the National Drought Mitigation Center, which of these states was hit hardest by the dust Bowl? Is it Illinois, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Ohio? Quick answer today?
Speaker 5: Are you bringing the vibes like.
Speaker 1: I'm bringing the heat?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I was thinking just like you, just like locked locked in. Dude. I'm gonna be real bummed if I get this one wrong.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 8: I feel like the first question, when you feel good about it and you get it wrong, you might as well just leave again.
Speaker 2: Your four states Illinois, Oklahoma, Wyoming, which was hit the hardest by the dust bowl? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers? Corey and Sarah and Omar. The whole room says Oklahoma. The whole room got it right, Well done, room. The correct answer is Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Was that our reading anybody else in reading club.
Speaker 2: Grapes wrath, oh Steinbock. He loved right about ye.
Speaker 1: That's why I got that right.
Speaker 2: Although the dust Bowl was felt across North America, the six states hit the hardest were Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico. Those six states became known as the dust Bowl States. It's estimated that two point five million people migrated out of the dust Bowl States during the nineteen thirties, creating one of the largest migrations in American history. Here's a map from National Geographics showing the driest areas. The general dust Bowl zone stretches from like Lubbock, Texas, to Denver, Colorado, to Lincoln, Nebraska. But ground zero is the Oklahoma pan Handle and in just that general region. Question two the topic is fishing. This next great question is via Garrett Houston. This morbid term is defined as quote a fishing technique where the bait, lure or fly flows naturally with the waters current. Sarah and Corey and Brody all like their answer. This morbid term is defined as a fishing technique where the bait, lure, or fly flows naturally with the water's current.
Speaker 5: Overrated.
Speaker 2: There is going to be some controversial language here in the flavor text, then you guys can duke it out. Got something here that would say it's not overrated. This morbid term is defined as a fishing technique where the bait or fly flows naturally with the waters current angler, Nate, do you have this one right?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Of course not, dude.
Speaker 8: I feel he does think about this after I got just drags the last time, I think I should get double. You know, when you see someone like like Brody goes and runs a marathon, you're like, cool, bro, that's really impressive. It'd be like running a marathon without legs, Like, that's how whatever. I'm playing trivia, that's how it is.
Speaker 2: Well, you just.
Speaker 1: Grow some legs.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna sea legs. No, it's everybody readyby man's nobody else.
Speaker 5: It's nobody else.
Speaker 1: I can compete without a whole bird.
Speaker 6: Listen, it's nobody else's fault that you're like an incomplete outdoorsman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just a victim, dude. My dad never took me fishing. How about that?
Speaker 6: God daddy issues over fish?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answer.
Speaker 5: No way, dude, let's go and Sarah.
Speaker 2: Say dead drift. Oh, Mar's got an answer, John Nate and Brodie say dead drift. They got it. The correct answer is dead drift.
Speaker 1: Three to two.
Speaker 2: Other names to this fishing technique is drag, free drift or natural drift. Dead drifting could be could describe a walleye angler using a bottom bouncer, or a fly fisherman throwing a dry fly. Hatch Magazine says that mastering the dead drift with any presentation is quote the ultimate challenge in fly fishing.
Speaker 6: How is dragging a bottom bouncer around a dead drift?
Speaker 2: If you were just going with the current, if you were just like letting the wind push you, I call that a dead drift, just naturally going. So Hatch Magazine calls it the ultimate challenge in fly fishing. Brody and Sarah disagree with each other.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 6: I think it's I can tell you that hundreds of uh, not very skilled clients cut thousands of trout without using a dead drift.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that you.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I would be like, don't mend it. You don't want to drift.
Speaker 4: Okay, It's not that you don't catch trout without a good drag free drift, but with the majority of like if you're fishing small flies and light tackle, like dead bugs don't swim mm hm, and you.
Speaker 5: Know, like like dead bugs don't swim, the live ones do.
Speaker 7: There's one they like it more rare than they overdone.
Speaker 4: But like, if you're fishing like two little tiny nymphs and light tackle, any little tiny drag your fis leave the column in which your flies should be.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 7: I would agree that that could be the pinnacle of a fly fishermen's ability to get a perfect dead drift, But that doesn't all always work.
Speaker 4: Like with bobber fishing, I think the difference between like lucking into fish and consistently catching fish is a really really.
Speaker 7: Good emerging nymphs.
Speaker 6: I would say that I didn't wait guide much and I hated nimp fishing.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's the.
Speaker 6: Majority of I would say, Like, looking back, half the strikes when I had people nimping with a bobber, half the strikes came after the drift like ended and the stars.
Speaker 11: Oh they starts. Yeah, absolutely, But like.
Speaker 5: That's not a dead drift.
Speaker 4: It's not a dead drift. I think I think most fly anglers just lucked their way into fish relatively.
Speaker 2: Question four. Excuse me, question three. The topic is foraging.
Speaker 5: You're holding your tongue.
Speaker 2: Foraging. The blank cherry, which is known for its extremely tart taste, is the state fruit of North Dakota.
Speaker 1: Sorry, fast, dude, I told you I'm locked in.
Speaker 2: And that's that's one word. The blank cherry, which is known for its extremely tart taste, is the state fruit of North Dakota.
Speaker 1: Shoot what Nate.
Speaker 4: I feel like instead of asking for extra points when you get fishing questions, right, you should just learn how to fish and then no one's gonna give you any.
Speaker 2: Sarah is begging to teach you how to fish. I feel like I've seen this play out in multi episodes.
Speaker 4: That's wrong.
Speaker 10: Don't listen real, just dude, if I had all the time in the world, I would love to go fishing.
Speaker 4: It's like, it's such a good shoulder season thing.
Speaker 5: What else it's great for? Tell me you're gonna have a little kid and just take see.
Speaker 1: I've been thinking about that, dude.
Speaker 6: That's the only thing sunfish and they'll be all excited.
Speaker 7: Yeah, don't do it, dude.
Speaker 1: Maybe I can stop the cycle.
Speaker 2: Man I'm telling you from the blank cherry, which is known for its extremely heart taste, is the state fruit of North Dakota. John, do you have this one right? I don't think so. Omar, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I don't think so either.
Speaker 2: Corey without an answer, Oh that's not true, Okay, Nate, Sarah and Brody like what they have.
Speaker 1: I something came and we'll see.
Speaker 2: The blank cherry, which is known for its extremely tart taste, is the state.
Speaker 9: I just had some cherries too, but I think they're from Washington.
Speaker 2: Or Risk. Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. Corey says, black cherry. Sarah choke, Omar black, John Black, Nate choke, Brody choke. The correct answer is the choke cherry.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Nate and Brody and Sarah got that one right. The taste of a choke cherry is described as being dry, sharp, sour, and bitter. They are rarely eaten raw, but can be turned into jellies and syrups. Natives would put them into pemmican and pudding, with the inner bark being used in tea to cure sore throats. Choke cherry trees are native to forty one states. Here's a picture of a choke cherry right there.
Speaker 5: He does things raw, and you wonder what bears are thinking.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, yeah, I have a choke cherry in my yard. It's one of the most common trees in my whole neighborhood. And they taste awful. Ye say, it makes your mouth dry as legitimate your Your mouth has never felt drier than after eating a choke cherry. Question for the topic is biology. Get ready to fill this next great question is via Tim Alleno. This eleven letter word is defined as quote a scientist who studies the movement, distribution, and quality of water across the Earth's surface.
Speaker 1: Aren't you married to one of these?
Speaker 4: Not married?
Speaker 9: But yes?
Speaker 2: M dating? Living with fiance to dating? Okay. This eleven letter word is defined as a scientist who studies the movement, distribution, and quality of water across the Earth's surface. I got this wrong. I would no longer be getting man.
Speaker 9: I met him too, and I remember one part, and I don't know if I'm going to get this right.
Speaker 2: Is this how he would introduce himself, Sarah. He'd say, I'm a yeah, okay, No, he did this for the forest service for five years. Tough look for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, one of one of my top ten favorite conversations I've had in the past year talking about the subject.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll get the other night.
Speaker 5: I want to see that list.
Speaker 4: He knows a whole lot, you know, salt and valley water, a.
Speaker 1: Ski lift mechanic. That dude was one of the most interesting guys.
Speaker 2: That Okay, now we know two of the ten. This eleven letter word is defined as a scientist who studies the movement, distribution, and quality of water across the Earth's surface. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. Cory and Sarah and Omar. No omar, says hydrochemist. Oh, rest of the room, says hydrologists. Oh, the rest of the room that rights answers.
Speaker 1: Vegas.
Speaker 2: The job of a hydrologist is vast. They analyze the water cycle, manage water resources, monitor water quality, and forecast natural disasters like floods and droughts. The average salary of a hydrologist in the United States is ninety two thousand dollars per year. Is there anything you want to add about dating hydrologists or what.
Speaker 1: His exact salary is?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know if I should disclose his exact salary. He not yet work in that way. No, he works for the Gallatin County Department of Environmental Health doing groundwater and surface water monitoring in Gallatin County.
Speaker 2: An important job.
Speaker 5: Is he wrapped up in that stuff up at the y c up there.
Speaker 4: No, he's not he. I think they're just out of his monitoring area and they he does, like well, testing stuff down in Big Sky.
Speaker 5: Some water trouble making going.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of water troublemaking.
Speaker 2: If you're not from here, you don't know this. But there's just not enough water in the Gallatin County as for a lot of the country. And so Sarah's boyfriend is going to fix that for us. Question five. This Colorado brand, which is named after a big mountain, was created in two thousand and one and is best known for its lightweight camping gear.
Speaker 5: Man, they make some good stuff, they really do.
Speaker 2: Brody and Sarah locked in their answers fast as we've seen all game. This is question where are they?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: This Colorado brand, which is named after a big mountain, was created in two thousand and one and is best known for its lightweight camping gear.
Speaker 4: It's another one of those great, homegrown, small outdoor brand. Man, they're kind of crushing.
Speaker 2: Are they making a lot of time hot?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 11: I will know.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna say are they hot right now?
Speaker 5: For years?
Speaker 4: Maybe it's kind of It's kind of one of those if you know you know things I.
Speaker 8: Think I I think I'm with you, man, Corey, Do you think I think I know?
Speaker 1: Why you think you know?
Speaker 2: We'll find out.
Speaker 9: If it's the same brand I'm thinking of. I'm in the market for a nest for my TP.
Speaker 2: This Colorado brand, which is named after a big mountain, was created in two thousand and one and is best known for its lightweight camping gear. How do you like your answer, Nate.
Speaker 1: Not great. No, I might change it. I don't want any I don't want any of your facial.
Speaker 5: I guarantee you'll show no emotion and whatsoever.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing it. I'm not doing it all right.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of it was pretty emotionless. This Colorado. I've been taking.
Speaker 6: Acting lessons from Phil and he told me how to do like just dead pans straight face.
Speaker 1: You're making a great program.
Speaker 2: Named after a big mountain, was created in two thousand and one, and is best known for its lightweight camping gear. We'll get a scoreboard update from Phill the engineer after this. It's everybody ready.
Speaker 1: Give me, give me like five ten more seconds, man, I think mine's wrong. We're gonna try it, though.
Speaker 2: We have to put those acting lessons to the test here. Pretty soon. There's a new podcast coming out where you'll have some acting from Phil Brody, Corey, Me Randall very excited.
Speaker 11: I was only yeah, I only recorded for me, and I don't know what he's talking about right now.
Speaker 5: That sounds funny.
Speaker 2: I thought I saw in the in the.
Speaker 11: Screen he did it did some I did good fighters.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a secret.
Speaker 2: We can say, oh, I don't know how okay the Gunfighters podcast. You didn't do a script reading for them.
Speaker 5: I was supposed to, but uh, what's his name?
Speaker 7: Jake?
Speaker 5: Just like couldn't get my scheduled line up?
Speaker 1: Nate ten seconds?
Speaker 2: All right, go ahead and reveal your answers. Cory Big dang It, Sarah big Agnes, Omar seek outside, John Climate, Nate Durston crossed out, Big Brody, Bignes correct? Is Big Agnes? What did Nate have written down when you looked at his whiteboard, Brody Durston, I don't know what that is. Big Agnes is known for their ultra lightweight tents, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, camping furniture, and backpacks. The brand is named after the twelve thousand foot Big Agnes Mountain, which sits thirty miles north of downtown Steamboat Springs, where the company is located. Phil scoreboard update.
Speaker 11: Here at halftime, I got Omar hanging on with one.
Speaker 4: We're in it.
Speaker 11: John's got three. Corey and Nate are now tied up with four and tied up in first place with perfect games are Sarah and Brodie.
Speaker 1: Wow five points.
Speaker 2: Very exciting.
Speaker 5: Question Donald McDonald.
Speaker 1: No, that's our guy from New York with a snowsuit.
Speaker 2: Pennsylvania. Question six, the topic hunting. This dog breed with a feminine name is described by ak S as being quote smaller than setters, but leggier than spaniels. The room is stopped. This dog breed with a feminine name is described by ak S as being smaller than setters, but leggier than spaniels. Corey the only player to come up with an answer so far. Maybe really now, Sarah Brodie joining him. This dog, read with a feminine name, is described by A k C as being smaller than setters but leggier than spaniels. Sarah, do you have this one right? Brody? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: Got an answer that makes sense?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Corey? Does your answer make sense in my head?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 11: You got it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Ok you got this one right.
Speaker 1: Und with some of these this past year, a lot did you know.
Speaker 2: A lot.
Speaker 1: Cool dogs?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It rather actual spaniel.
Speaker 2: But you know this still described by A case as being smaller.
Speaker 4: Than unless all you do is I'll.
Speaker 1: What bohunt big old bowl? No, you're right, little bulls and cows, I.
Speaker 2: Don't omar John? Are you ready give up? Go ahead and reveal your answers? Corey says Collie. Sarah Brittany omar John without an answer. Nate and Brody say Brittany, they got it. The correct answer is Brittany. The A k C. Calls the breed a quote stylish and versatile gun dog. They say Brittany's are quick and rugged dogs that require a lot of exercise. Gun Dog Magazine calls intelligence their strongest trait, but warns that it can work for and against you. All right, what do we got for a review for hunting with a Brittany Nate?
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 8: I mean, I love my dog, but he still kind of sucks, mainly because I suck at hunting, and.
Speaker 1: Those dogs were great.
Speaker 8: Like that we shot a pheasant, it dropped and four dogs couldn't find that pheasant, and that Brittany just ran right over and grabbed it.
Speaker 4: I just think if if you're pheasant hunting, like specifically, there is no better tool than an English springer's band.
Speaker 5: That's why I got one.
Speaker 4: They're the best. LA springers are like labs, but more fun.
Speaker 2: Question seven the topic is fishing. This next great question is via Josie Vandenberg. You can. Idaho Salmon River was given this nickname because it's powerful currents and dangerous rapids make it impossible to row back upstream. Corey, this is fishing Idahose Salmon River. I was given this nickname because it's powerful currents and dangerous rapids make it impossible to row back upstream. Cory, you got this one right, No idea, that's where that name came from. Good question, Spencer, Thank you, thank you. This is via Josie Idaho Salmon River was given this nickname because it's powerful currents and dangerous rapids make it impossible to row back upstream. Nate now joining them with an answer with a guess. With a guess, Corey, have you ever been on the Salmon River? I have not. Brody, No, Sarah, No.
Speaker 6: Are three that where you fly in an airstrip and then you float down.
Speaker 4: The middle fork?
Speaker 1: Think?
Speaker 2: I think so? Cory and Brody think they have this one right. Nate, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not.
Speaker 4: You have said that for the past couple.
Speaker 2: Well, this is question seven. Idahos. Salmon River was given this nickname because it's powerful currents and dangerous rapids make it impossible to row back upstream. It's everybody ready, Sarah coming up with an answer. We're gonna flip over the white boards after that. Go ahead and reveal your answers. Corey says River of No Return, Sarah says Hell's Canyon, Omar River of No Return, John Hell's Canyon, Nate Waterslide, Brody, River of No Return. The correct answer is the River of No Return. Early settlers in the region gave the Salmon River this nickname because it was considered a one way street. Once boats entered the canyon portion of the river, they would only travel downstream, and when they'd reach their destination, the boats would be disassembled and used for lumber. The River of No Return is known for its steelhead, schnook, salmon, cutthroat trout, bowl trout, sam, smallmouth bass, and white surgeon. Question eight, the topic is gear f FS, which stands for bank blank blank, was called quote the most polarizing topic in the fishing world by Outdoor Life in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: It's a fishing question to get question fishing.
Speaker 2: Also fishing f FS, which stands for blank blank blank, was called the most polarizing topic in the fishing world by Outdoor Life in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Do you have this one?
Speaker 5: Do I have it right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, Nate and Brody like their answers, closing the gap with Sarah or oa.
Speaker 1: How do you know that because I'm smart? Because you fish?
Speaker 4: Is that why you're asking for extra points if you get questions right?
Speaker 1: No, that's because I have no shame.
Speaker 8: I think I think we should also implement a squaring dimension like points, non resident points and stuff.
Speaker 1: So when I get the second fishing question right, I actually get plus four there you go.
Speaker 5: One of those f's should be pretty obvious.
Speaker 2: F FS which stands for blank blank blank.
Speaker 7: I mean I was in the fishing world and this wasn't pol.
Speaker 2: Was called the most polarizing topic in the fishing world by Outdoor Life in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Hard to see and think because of this was going on.
Speaker 5: I don't know if we're thinking about the same thing.
Speaker 1: Watch it. Fishing Buddy over there.
Speaker 2: FFS, which stands for blank blank blank, was called the most polarizing topic in the fishing world by Outdoor Life in twenty twenty four. We'll get a scoreboard update from Phil after this. Corey, do you give up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. Corey says, fish blank blank, Sarah, fish finding sonar, Omar and John without an answer. Nate and Brody say, forward facing sonar. They got it, the correct answer, y, forward facing sonar.
Speaker 7: That's almost as cheating as dragging your flies around.
Speaker 5: Yep, exactly.
Speaker 2: Forward facing sonar is unique because it provides a live, real time look at what's happening underwater. It's legality varies by tournament. The National Professional Fishing League has banned the technology. The Bass Elite series flips a coin to determine which events will allow it in which will not. Major League Fishing lets anglers use it once a day during a selected time slot. All right, Phil, scoreboard update, two questions to go, Damn, He's got.
Speaker 11: Things a change a little bit around here. Omar's got two now. John's still sitting there sitting pretty with three. Corey's got five now, Sarah and Nate are tied up with six, and Brody has pulled ahead.
Speaker 1: He's two points ahead, actually with eight.
Speaker 2: Brody can get question nine right, he'll wrapped up the victory. Oh see if you can get the perfect game.
Speaker 1: Oh, Mark, you came in real hot the first time you're on here. I don't know what happened. Man's resting now a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Question nine. The topic is conservation. About half of North America's two hundred and fifty native orchid species are found in this state. Brody and Nate rest went over whiteboards over there, so you can write their answer quicker. About half of North America's two hundred and fifty native orchid species are found in this state.
Speaker 5: Interesting, that'd be about one hundred.
Speaker 2: Does that help you?
Speaker 1: It helps?
Speaker 2: Sitting over here so I can stare it. If Brody gets this wrong, but Sarah or Nate get it right, we'll still have a ball game going into number ten.
Speaker 8: Oh, I feel like we should combine forces because I'm fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: On this MM. Yeah, if you guys can take to take states, that would help your odds. About half of North America's two hundred and fifty native orchid species are found in this state. Hold on, Brody, how many states do you have a narrow down to?
Speaker 6: I had three, but really like I'm just going okay, not really, don't know, don't know, not feeling great.
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready, John doing some writing.
Speaker 11: Brody's hot streak over the last few months has seemed exceptionally hot.
Speaker 2: He's been very good, and we haven't gone to overtime I think in months now, and that speaks to the dominance of often Brody sometimes Randall usually not dominant. At the same time, Do you guys have the same answer?
Speaker 5: No, it's cheating, Sarah.
Speaker 2: Are you ready go ahead and reveal your answers? Corey says Hawaii, Sarah Georgia, Omar Washington, John Florida, Nate Florida, Brody Florida. The correct answer is Florida, giving Brody the victory, But we still have one question to go. We'll see if he can get the perfect game. South Florida's warm, wet, and humid climate makes it the continent's most orchid rich place. Half of the state's orchids are considered endangered, largely due to habitat destruction. Florida's most famous species is the ghost orchid, of which there are about one thousand left in the state. It's believed that their only pollinator is the sphinx moth. Here's a picture of a ghost. People go travel there from far away to get a glimpse of one of those. They only bloom for like a week.
Speaker 1: You got that on your list of curiosities.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would love to, but I don't think it's gonna I can't plan a whole trip to the Everglades just to you know, be there for the one week when these things are open.
Speaker 8: Is that a group of people like birders, is their flowers gotta be?
Speaker 2: I think orchids specifically have a very religious fault.
Speaker 1: What do they call themselves?
Speaker 2: I don't know what that person would knights. Here's a correct answer. Review so far. One was Oklahoma two Dead Drift, three Choke Cherry four Hydrologist five, Big Agnes six Britney seven, River of No Return eight, Forward Facing Sonar nine Florida phil scoreboard update.
Speaker 11: As he already said, Brody has secured the bag, but Nate is two points ahead with seven. Question excuse me?
Speaker 2: Question ten. The topic is public lands, and if Brody can get this right, Media will double that donation two one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Well heads together.
Speaker 2: This is our lesser question of the week, which was won by Jim Natole for sending this great question. Jim is going to get a one hundred and fifty dollars First Light gift card. If you want a chance to win the listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the medeater dot com.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: The topic is public lands. This president had a tunnel system constructed in nineteen thirty five at New York's Whiteface Mountain so that those in wheelchairs could reach the summit. This president had a tunnel system constructed in nineteen thirty five at New York's Whiteface Mountain so that those in wheelchairs could reach the summit. Brody, do you have this one.
Speaker 1: Right, pretty sure?
Speaker 6: Okay, I feel like that there's a big clue in this guy.
Speaker 2: He voted for him, yep twice actually just before.
Speaker 6: Talking about this ageism stuff before in here. Maybe you weren't present, but you know there's an HR department upstairs.
Speaker 1: We're real.
Speaker 2: This president had a tunnel system constructed in nineteen thirty five at New York's White Face Mountain so that those in wheelchairs could reach the summit. Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Corey saying FDR. Sarah FDR, Omar says, Hoover, John says LBJ. Nate and Brody say FDR. The correct answer is Franklin D. Roosevelt fd R. Face. That means you got that one right, giving him the perfect game. Well done, Brody, Thank you, Thank you. FDR was the thirty second president, serving from nineteen thirty three to nineteen forty five. He caught polio in nineteen twenty one at the age of thirty nine, which paralyzed his legs and put him in a wheelchair. In his thirty years president, he mandated the construction of an in mountain elevator system and pedestrian tunnel at White Face Mountain, one of the tallest mountains in the Adirondecks. Now visitors with mobility issues can reach the summit via four hundred foot tunnel and three hundred foot elevator.
Speaker 4: It's pretty nice because hiking up White Face Mountain is like about as opposite from a pedestrian friendly tunnel as you can get.
Speaker 2: Oh you've been there. Oh did you go in the elevator? No, I walked up that hardway.
Speaker 4: It's like, I think it's like fifteen hundred feet again in a mile or something.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting. Cool our Brody thousand dollars donation today. What are you gonna do with all that, Modey.
Speaker 6: It's been a pretty tough wildfire season already, and it's probably only gonna get tougher. So we'll donate to Wildlandfirefighters dot Org I think is the name of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, thousand dollars going their way from Brody and Meat Eater. I think that's one of our first perfect games of the year, probably the first time we've donated to those folks.
Speaker 5: I think I hit them one.
Speaker 2: Give a thousand dollars more. Join us next week for more meat Eater Trivia the only game show where conservation is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Spencer from South Dakota.
Speaker 3: He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays them questions down.
Speaker 1: He likes taking those two and three year old bucks.
Speaker 5: It is an avid amateur