THERÉSA: Welcome back, Hauntos. You can probably already tell, but we're not in our usual digs today. We're in Hudson for my ex friend's wedding. Long story short, but I got invited before I died. Then after some unimportant drama involving a brand partnership with Mudwater, I was uninvited. I was going to attend spitefully as our mutual guy friends plus one, and now we're here. I tried to take today off from work, but because of my ironclad eternal podcast contract, I'm multitasking and I had to bring Len as my date.
LEN: I love weddings.
THERÉSA: The tuxedo T-shirt wasn't necessary.
LEN: [MUMBLES]
THERÉSA: I know, it seems insane to attend a wedding from beyond the grave, and I want to hate this, but the flowers are some of the best I've seen, and the venue is stunning, especially this time of year with the foliage. Merlin's having a field day in the woods. But whatever, we're just getting started. There's no way all the bridesmaids are pulling off a yellow floral. Here we go, and yup, that is an awful shade of yellow. Yikes! Okay, Len, keep an eye out for a groomsman, tall like six two, six three, green eyes. Him, him! We dated in college and oh wow, he used to have a lot more hair. Time has not been your friend, Mark. He didn't take our breakup well. And whoever's been spreading the Ozempic rumors does not seem to be the case. This feels good. I'm so glad we came. The best part of weddings is getting the scoop on everyone you knew in college. The friends you make in those four years really do last a lifetime, or in my case, even longer. And I was bounced out of USC after only three semesters during that college admission scandal. Obviously, I was never on the junior bobsled team. I grew up in Los Angeles. That's on them. But we've all got our demons, like Kat and her college friends, whose demons were yeah, literal.
KAT: I've never felt anything like that previously, and I've never felt anything like that after the fact. Just all of the worst feelings you can put into one. Instant fear, dread, darkness just consumed me. I screamed bloody murder and ran down the stairs, out of the house and down the block. My name's Kat and in college I lived in a really haunted house in Savannah, Georgia. Stacy was my best friend at the time. The two of us were really really close. Our families lived pretty close to each other in Manhattan Beach, LA Area. My freshman year of college, I moved into this house down in Savannah, Georgia. We show up at the house and it's me and Stacy. We had driven together from California. At the time, Savannah was known as the most haunted city in America. But I didn't really have any expectation to see any of that. I'm going to art school. I'm not even worried or bothered by any of the history. I don't even know if I really believed in ghosts per se. The first thing that our landlord said to us was this place is haunted, but she's like joking and laughing about it, Like, yeah, I don't know. It's an old, historic Victorian house. It feels haunted, but who knows. But we didn't really believe it. The house is two stories and it has two beautiful old bay windows, and then it's got a red porch, a little porch swing. It's got that kind of Victorian roof style, which is like pointy. There's a huge Spanish moss tree right out front that has this moss hanging down on the roof. The windows are covered in ivy and different plants. It would be a place where my mom would look it up on Airbnb and then be like, I think I'm going to try and find a newer build just because of spooks. But we didn't really care. We just were so excited. It's four girls, one house, Like we are going to party, We are going to have so much fun. I already had been planning that I really wanted to get a dog. The first week we were there, we went to the Animal Shelter and we adopted my first dog, Cookie. She was so sweet. She was a Golden Retriever and the happiest dog on the planet. We're there for probably a month or two and we start noticing small things. Three of us lived upstairs. Stacy lived on the bottom floor, and she started complaining about hearing noise at night, swearing up and down that she couldn't sleep. She described these noises as like an old man grunting, walking on the floor. She started getting pissed off because she thought it was us, like what are you guys doing? Are you guys having boys over? Like someone is screwing around at night and I cannot sleep. We're all swearing up and down we don't know who it is, we don't know what it is. This is not us. It started to freak her out a little bit, like I feel like I'm going crazy. I swear this is happening. And we all kind of were like, Okay, maybe she's really stressed out, homesick, whatever. And then all of us start hearing these noises, both on the bottom floor and on the top floor, really just everywhere in the house. It almost sounded like muffled voices or footsteps. We just kind of chalked it up to this is a very old house. The windows rattle, you know, the floor's creaked. It just is what it is, and so we didn't really take much note of it. But then, a few months down the line, all of us are in a terrible mood, not being able to sleep right. We are all at each other's throats, and the four of us were best friends, so it was really abnormal that our moods had shifted this drastically but we were just completely drained. I remember having conversations on the phone with my mom being like this is crazy, like I don't understand why I feel so awful all the time. And my Mom's going, well, you know, you're living with three other girls. You guys are all young women, like this stuff happens. Finally, we have a roommate meeting because we're being absolute bitches to each other. We are all sitting in the living room. All of us kind of coming into it with a little bit of angsty energy. We're talking about our feelings and kind of discovering that we're having a lot of the same issues sleeping, and we're all kind of looking at each other like something's going on that is sucking the energy and life out of us and making us feel crazy. And I was like, are you guys having weird dreams? We figured out that we are all having the same reoccurring nightmare. A man in a white latex gimp suit with a mask over his face crawls through the doorway and up to the base of the bed and put his hands up on the bed, and then he would pop his head up and he'd be looking at you. It felt so vivid and real. There were nights where I was like I just won't let myself even go to sleep because I don't want to experience this. Every single one of us was having this dream with this man crawling in in a white latex suit. We all were like, oh my god, Okay, this is weird. We started talking about, okay, are you guys getting bruises and scratches too? Because I'd wake up and I have like a giant purple bruise on my upper and inner thigh. I usually wore pants to bed, so I didn't really know how that was happening. I didn't think it was my dog accidentally laying on me wrong or anything. On top of that, I had scratches down the middle of my back, but they weren't human hands. It was not five fingers scratching. It was always three scratches, almost like a claw. We're all waking up with bruises and scratches and we don't know where they're coming from. We're really freaked out.
AJ: These were huge, black and purple, painful bruises. I don't think we would be able to sleep through someone causing that sort of bruise. It would have to be someone punching us. On top of that, these scratches were always three claw like scratches. We did our research later and apparently three scratches in a row is a sign of a demonic haunting. We were like, oh, that's not good. This was something that was over our head. We need some help. So we decided to go down to like a little witch shop. It's a cool little shop that in the middle of some random neighborhood in Savannah. While we're shopping around, the four of us are really taking our time because we don't know what we're doing, and the woman who runs it is a very eccentric woman. She's like Savannah's witch doctor, is what they call her. But she came over to us and started asking us about the issue. She sat with us for probably thirty minutes. Came up with a plan, and then came over to the house, did her ritual, and then set us up with exactly what we needed going forward. She went through each room yelling at spirits. She went through each corner of every inch of that house, saltings and incense and chanting, and then for us, she had told us, the main thing is this salt that she had us make. We'd put it on the outside of our front door on the outside of our back door, and we'd put it on all of the windowsills everywhere in the house. The house was always covered in salt. If we felt anything, she would have us shake our hands as if like wafting things away from us. She was like, that's energetic clearing, Like you're telling things that they can't come near you and she would also just have us yell at any spirits that we thought were nearby, just told them, no, you can't be here, get out, you're not welcome. And we're like, okay, We're feeling prepared and the house just in general feels better and things are getting back to normal. Until I was sitting in my upstairs office one night with a friend, AJ.
THERÉSA: Sorry, pause! Len, I can't hear the ceremony and our listeners can't hear the story over your blubbering. You need to get it together.
LEN: [MUMBLES]
THERÉSA: You don't even know anyone at this wedding. We're gonna take a break so Len can collect himself. We'll be right back. Just take a lap or something. We're back. Len's regained his composure and to catch you up, the bride is in a gorgeous strapless drop waist dress. No surprise there. She's always had impeccable taste. The best man, on the other hand, is definitely drunk. He's uh, yep, he's wobbling. But the ceremony is winding down now. They just read their vows. She called him pooky and he said, I'm so glad I swiped right. Just when it seemed like they were losing the crowd, Merlin perched on the chuppah and everyone started freaking out, calling it a good omen. The photographer is going crazy. Even in death, I know how to steal focus. But anyway, when we left off with Kat, things were looking up, until they weren't.
KAT: We're like, okay, we're feeling prepared, and the house just in general feels better and things are getting back to normal until I was sitting in my upstairs office one night with a friend AJ.
AJ: We were sitting in her upstairs studio office area, the one that connects to the balcony in her room.
KAT: AJ had been a close friend of mine for a while now. She was doing a class project and came over to my house to work in our office space upstairs. This office space was fairly small, and me and AJ are seated together at my computer. It's late at night, probably around ten pm, and all of a sudden of the room gets really cold. It was like a bone chilling temperature.
AJ: And out of the corner of my eye, I see the trash can lid start to swing.
KAT: It was moving back and forth on its own.
AJ: And then I see on the floor that there's a picture on the ground. In my head, okay, the picture fell off the wall to hit a trash can. I pointed at the picture on the ground and make a joke like, oh, it's a ghost just kind of mocking this situation. And Kat looks at me. She goes, oh, no, that's been there. I've just been too lazy to pick it up. Okay, but why is the trash can lid swinging? It was super weird. I feel icky
KAT: AJ didn't really believe in ghosts. But she starts getting really freaked out. She's like, Kat, can you do what you do when this stuff happens? So I go in my room and I grab some incense and I grab a lighter. I'm trying to light this incense and it will not light. No matter how long I hold the incense with the fire, I can't get it to light. I'm just standing there really confused. AJ is across the room and AJ starts going,
AJ: Hey. Kat, Kat, what's happening to me? What's happening to me?
KAT: And AJ starts doubling over in the chair holding her head, and I'm going, what's going on. I wasn't sure if she was fainting. I didn't know if she was having a seizure. I didn't know what was going on.
AJ: I'm freaking out at this point, I am scared.
KAT: AJ looks up at me, and the minute that me and her make eye contacts.
AJ: I just get this horrible, horrible feeling rushing over my body. I don't think I've ever been actually terrified in my entire life until this moment. It was the definition of terror.
KAT: And the instant that the two of us made eye contact, I have a feeling that goes throughout my entire being that I have never felt and I hope I will never feel again. It was the worst feeling in my life. I felt dread, dying, anxiety, every negative feeling combined in one. I feel dizzy, and I have this intense tunnel vision.
AJ: I could not speak, and I have tunnel vision. My body went into a fight flight freeze and I froze. I couldn't move. I felt like there was this tinglingness behind me. I was so scared and I couldn't do anything about it. So I think I'm gonna cry. I don't know if I want to throw up. I just feel horrible. The tingling behind me felt like an old school TV static, or when you're in a science museum then you're touching that orb and that statickiness is like on your hands and it makes your hair stand up. It felt like it was standing over me like that static. That energy was right there behind me.
KAT: The only way I could describe it is a feeling of, oh my god, you are in the most danger you have ever been in. You're gonna die if you stay in this room. You need to get out of this room. I screamed, bloody murder, ran out of the room, and my dog followed right behind me.
AJ: I hear Kat run downstairs and yell for her roommate. So I'm stuck there all alone. I don't know what to do. The most terrified I've ever been.
KAT: I'm screaming at Stacy, like I don't know what's going on. Can you get to AJ? I can't go up there. I don't know why I can't go up there.
AJ: Kat's roommate runs up the stairs and is trying to help me. She goes, are you okay? And I just couldn't respond.
KAT: Stacy picks her up out of the chair. I was like, we gotta leave the house right now. I grabbed the dog leash and we booked it. We ran down the street frantically trying to get away, and at that point we're kind of starting to feel better a little bit. This feeling that we both had. Aj and I described the same thing, just terrible, terrible energy, this feeling of darkness, dread, fear, and particularly the same experience of tunnel vision.
AJ: And I'm trying to come to terms with what's happening. I still feel like I have a brain fog. Kat and I still feel like whatever just happened isn't over. We walk around and we're headed back towards the house.
KAT: Me and AJ are still really really freaked out. I did not want to go back, but we start crossing the street to go to the house, and my dog will not walk. She will not cross the street. We are trying to pick her up. She's growling,
AJ: And Cookie is just standing there. She will not go, no matter if you tug on her leash, no matter if you're trying to bribe her. Cookie does not want to move.
KAT: Stacy goes inside to do like the cleansing rituals that the Savannah witch doctor had told us to do, and when she came outside and said Okay, it's done, my dog ran back inside totally normal, like nothing had happened. I grabbed my stuff, even the dog, and slept over at AJ's for that night. At that point, I was like, never going back in that house I'm done.
AJ: Kat and I slept at my little apartment that night. We tried to do like the cleansing rituals and just calm down. I felt a lot safer than anywhere near a Kat's house, but it still felt like it was attached to us for days afterwards.
KAT: That was the worst feeling that I had ever had. I decided that it was not worth my mental health to try and put up with that anymore, so I moved out on my own. I'm not a Christian, I don't really subscribe to a religion, but that was demonic, Like whatever it was was something really bad.
THERÉSA: They should have put the witch doctor on the payroll. Who has the time to clean their own home, let alone energetically cleanse it. Of course they were cranky all the time, but there's nothing like a little demonic trauma bonding between friends. Those girls will definitely be in each other's weddings. Let's take a break. Well, the ceremony is over. Turns out bringing Merlin was a huge mistake. Who was I supposed to know that after the kiss they'd be releasing a dozen white doves? Merlin, the apex predator that he is, snatched one out of the air and disemboweled it right there on the chuppah. Blood splattered everywhere, all over the bride's dress. Needless to say, the pictures are ruined and everyone is a little shaken up, but all in all, not bad for our first Haunting field trip, and Len's been having a great time. You guys know I love to dish, so if you want to share your musings on love and weddings, email us at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com. And of course, if you've ever had to salt a demonic entity out of your home like Kat did, we'd love to hear about that too. I'm going to see what world of drama is going on in the ladies room and don't let Len have any more Champagne. He's a lightweight.
CREDITS: If you have a Haunting story to share, email us at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com, and if you like what you hear, please like and subscribe. You can also follow us on social media by searching for Glass Podcasts or by visiting glasspodcasts.com. Haunting is a production of Glass Podcasts in partnership with iHeart Podcast. Haunting is created and executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning, Ben Fetterman, and Lauren Lapkus And it is hosted by Laura Lapkus as her character Therésa. Producer Len Walker is played by Trey Morgan. Haunting is written by Aleah Welsh, with additional writing by Nancy Glass, Trey Morgan, and Ben Fetterman. Editing and sound design by Matt Delvecchio and mixed by Dave Saia. Operations and production support by Kristen Melchiorre. Additional production support by Curry Richman and Todd Ganz. Haunting's theme and original compositions were composed by Oliver Baines and Dorry Macaulay of Noiser. Music library provided by Mybe Music. Special thanks to Speakeasy Sound Studios in Burbank, California. For more shows from iHeart Podcast and Glass Podcast, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.