Speaker 1: Frasier Friday, and I mean it's not really Broctober yet, but Brad Brock with us too, and Todd Fraser of course it's Scottie Braun. What's up, guys, Todd father? So I want to start this way. Okay, you guys played with each other a little bit on the Mets. You know how you get a phone call or teams or players or somebody could get a phone call around the trade deadline? Hey, what do you got on this guy?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: Good people? Give me anything else?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So, and you can't. You can't say just a great dude. You have to give me a little bit more. So tell me what you would have said if you got a quick call on Brad Brock, and then Brad can answer what he would have said about you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean for me, it was simple. Balls of steel is what my first three words would have said. We would have went on from there. Jersey guy takes pride in what he does. He's gritty, he's gonna he's gonna wear his heart on his sleeve out there. He's gonna get angry when he's not doing well. But that's the grit inside of him. That's what he's born to do and that's where he's from. So you want a guy that's gonna be calm, cool and collective, or you want a guy that's gonna be balls to the wall. I'm gonna dominate you, let you know, and I'm gonna get pissed off about it because I feel like I got more in the tank even after he does really good.
Speaker 2: I want you. I like that.
Speaker 1: If I'm the gym on the phone, I'm like Todd mids midway through your soliloquy, I actually already traded for him. That was beautiful.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We got Brad Brock. Okay, Brad. Now I'm looking into Todd Frazier.
Speaker 2: What do you got?
Speaker 5: Oh man?
Speaker 6: What can't you say about Todd? He's uh, he's gonna go out there. He's gonna play every day, same thing. He's gonna wear his emotions on his sleeves. But at the end of the day, he's gonna play hard every single day in the clubhouse. He's gonna ruffle some feathers. Good and Dad both. Uh, you know, just kind of get the guys together and just everybody as a team. You're either gonna love him, hate him, or somewhere in the middle. But either way, you're gonna respect the way he plays and the way he goes about his business. So I found my GM. I want him on my team, and he's gonna help you win ball games.
Speaker 1: It'd be like our current club. Ass it's a little quiet, nobody sings this will help.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he definitely. Uh. He gets it loud, that's for sure. When he came over again in twenty twenty. Obviously he knew all the guys at the Mets, but cloud Clubhouse got a little bit louder as soon as he showed it back up.
Speaker 2: That's good. I love him hate him in between. Man, that one hurt a little bit.
Speaker 5: Damn, it's all you know.
Speaker 2: It's you. Andy, are gonna have a little talk after that.
Speaker 1: You didn't like that portion of the scouting, Well he didn't.
Speaker 2: He didn't like me, that's what he was saying.
Speaker 5: That's not true.
Speaker 1: That's media immediate. If they're media love, because I know you. If there's tough love, you're gonna you're gonna give it right to a youngster that might need to hear. Hey, hey buddy, you got to show up on time. Okay, we're all here. I need you to come here. So somebody might not like that, but they need to hear it.
Speaker 5: That's all.
Speaker 6: I mean, you missed the part at the end about you're gonna respect him regardless.
Speaker 5: So it's you know, it's not.
Speaker 2: I didn't hear Yeah, not my white thing went off, my fault.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well let's get into some ball talk then, shall we. Let's see what you guys have for me on the Ale East. Let's charge.
Speaker 4: Let's charge out.
Speaker 1: The Red Sox are so smoking hot right now, Todd Father. So they've won eight in a row. They picked up another little sweep against the White Sox in a really fun back and forth battle. Since July third, they're twenty six and three. We are over a month from July third. It's August seventh, as we're doing this, twenty six and three since July three. Nobody saw this coming, And if anyone thinks they saw it coming, they're lying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is incredible. I gotta be honest with you.
Speaker 4: I mean, I remember before they all start breaking, know, they went on their little run, but like even before that, we're like, man, talk about a disappointment.
Speaker 2: And now you're looking.
Speaker 4: This, this is incredible and they're beating good teams, and they're going out there and dominating and they're finding ways to win. I mean even the close games with a lot of runs scored. Yesterday was a key example of that whole thing, not giving up, you know, going down four runs, coming back, finding a way to get it closer, even after a couple of mistakes, and you know, they go in extra innings.
Speaker 2: And win the game.
Speaker 4: This is the team that would never do that two months ago. I don't know, they're just finding ways to do it. Jaron Duran, there's been a lot of talks about him, and you know what his problems are.
Speaker 2: I think they like it.
Speaker 4: I think that online Contreras having fun being relaxed now after the whole big thing. I think that kick started everything once he got upset, you know, over a pitch and you know, a little trash talk. I think that woke them up. And you're seeing it right here. They're five games out of the Rays. I never thought that would happen the wild Card. They're doing really well there and this is a team that you probably if you're facing them right now on the plus, you don't want to see this team, you know, barring no injuries, as they move forward, and the guys are still cruising. This is a team you don't.
Speaker 6: Want to see, yeah, And I think it just kind of starts with the pitching side of things when you look at this starting rotation.
Speaker 5: They've kind of pitched.
Speaker 6: All year long, and they've really gone to another gear here in the second half and right before the All Star break, and I just think that's where it kind of starts. And the offense has met them, and I think when you put all that together, it puts.
Speaker 5: A good team out there, and they just.
Speaker 6: When you watch them play right now, it's almost like you have to turn their game regardless of the score, because they're either if they're behind, they're going to come back and tie and take the lead, or if they're ahead, you just want to buy how much they're going to win. And the back guys in their bullpen right now are just pitching lights out also, so.
Speaker 5: The game gets in the sixth inning, you have a Steve Hill to climb to come back.
Speaker 6: So Garret Crochet if he comes back before the season too, you just add another formidable arm in there. Adley Rushman just got traded over, so you're gonna be adding a great bat and a good leader. Behind the plate there also, So I just I don't see this team slowing down. And like I said, I just think it comes down to the pitching. You can see the stat there third in MLB in pitching er and I just think they do all the little things right. They play good defense, they run the bases well, they have speed, they can hurt you in stolen bases, they can take the extra base when they need to, and I guess that you when you kind of put all that together, it's just a winning ball club.
Speaker 5: And they're just they're fun to watch right now.
Speaker 1: And Todd Father, we were just showing the stat line on on base percentage for some of their leaders. And Wilson contrast, didn't play yesterday. I think he's got some sickness something that stay to day where he'll be back soon. Three ninety five on base percentage. The first baseman for the Red Sox can pick it too. He's become a really good defender, and he's just overall now one of the best first basemen in baseball. It was a brilliant off season pickup. I remember when we were talking about it, I think around winter meetings, because when we were discussing the Mets and how they can recover from a Pete Alonzo departure I brought up. I was like, man Wilson Contreres could fit a spot. They ended up going more of the Jorge Polanka ro out. My gosh, look at the difference between those two players. Planco. I mean, he's been hurt a bit, but is nothing close to what Contreras is contributing to this team. Emotionally of course, but also on the field. I mean he gets on base four to ten times.
Speaker 4: And think about this, like we talk we I don't know now, but talking about this back in the day, you see catchers all the time take ground balls during batting practice and fundamentally sound. They're digging in their dirt, they're getting their cleats in the dirt. They're knocking balls down. They're not afraid of getting in there and knocking a ball down. And think about first base, hot shot, find a way to knock the ball down, get the guy out picking baseballs. They do it all the time on pitches, and Wilson Contreras has been phenomenal. Not the tallest guy. I would be looking for a taller guy. But if you know how to throw the ball, across the diamond, you're good. And he's proved that height doesn't matter over there. He's plenty fine of doing his job and making the plays and knocking baseballs down. So kudos to him too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Brad, I know you mentioned the pitching first time around, but next go around here the offense has completely changed. I mean we were looking at their offense like where's the pop, where's the scoring at home? All of that has gone away, and we've seen guys like Rafaela take off, Willi or Bray is really clutch for them. All of this, plus I know we're not relying on it. Roman Anthony could come back at some point this year. I know it's taken him a super long time to sit out right now, and it was kind of a weird injury diagnosis, but he could come back right It's much quicker in terms of the progress for a position player than it is for a pitcher. If a pitcher is in trouble at this time of year, and they're not even getting going with progressions, like they're not going to be giving you six innings in October. But Roman Anthony was supposed to be the best hitter on this team. Entering twenty twenty six, they in fact, probably were relying on him too much and now they haven't had to. But if he does come back, that changes things.
Speaker 6: Yeah big time. I mean, you think about what he did during the WBC and you had that bad to this lineup and is the World World Series contender. I can't help but keep thinking about that, I know, back in April, and may you be like, you're crazy to think that, But this team has really turned it around. I mean, Femway Park last night, if you haven't to turn that game on, it was absolutely rocking and the players just did everything to win that game. And you know, they get down by two in the tenth and come back and score two to tie, then they score one in the eleventh and then the twelfth. It's just it's incredible. Right now. You just think that they're always going to come back and they always are there. But like you said, if you can add Roman Anthony to the middle of that lineup, man, this is a scary team to look at here moving towards October.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's finish with this, Todd Father. How good are they?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So we're seeing them play their best ball at this point. In the season. They're very firmly in a nice position for a wild card seat. At the moment, they have an outside chance at the division. Do you think this is a team that's going to be a problem in October in an American league that's really down in general this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 4: I mean, coming in, you thought the Yankees were the team to be as usual, you know, looking at numbers, looking at teams, you thought the Orioles were going to make a move.
Speaker 2: That's not happening. The Tiger is not happening. The Mariners, you know, we talk about them all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is gonna be This is gonna be really hard to decide. You've got to see who's healthy come playoff Game one. But again, I think this is one of the top teams.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: It's so funny how we're talking like this. The ebbs and flows of the years, people wrote this team off and now it's like, whoa, you don't want to be facing this team anymore. They're clicking at the right time. So yes, you want to. You face this team opening round, You're in for a dog fight. So I think there is an opportunity for this team to make a run a big run.
Speaker 1: And Brad for you the same question, but also to add to it, just because you've seen him, You've got your Birdland territory show, you're covering the Orioles more than any other team. Can you tell me what you think the impact could be from Adlee Rutchman when he returns. And also, I know you're not going to play doctor, but you know, just giving us a rundown of what he's been going through this year. I know, I think this is his third I Elston right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think when he comes back, it's just gonna add another lineup guy, but also somebody who knows how to handle a pitching staff, starters, relievers, everybody. He's such a leader back behind the plate and he's got a canon, so you pretty much eliminate the running game and that's huge. Come October baseball, and I think he's he's on the way to recovery.
Speaker 5: He's had a couple of weird injuries this year.
Speaker 6: He had a concussion where an Aaron throw hit him in the helmet as.
Speaker 5: He was running the first base, so that was unfortunate.
Speaker 6: This last one is kind of a risk injury that there was really no details.
Speaker 5: It just said they were it was kind.
Speaker 6: Of bothering him for a little bit, and that's kind of where they left it up until he got traded.
Speaker 5: So it sounds like.
Speaker 6: He's getting ready to do his rehab and I just think when he gets over there, he's going to be in the lineup every day and being a switch hitter at Fenway Park, especially if you're a left you can hit it off the monster. If you're righty, same thing, you can hit it over the monster. So I just think that ballpark really plays well for his style of baseball and especially his hitting side.
Speaker 1: Hey, last thing, so, Craig Wrestler received a ton of heat. We've given him heat on this show, and there have been stories about how he has evolved into the role. Sometimes you judge people on the role a little bit too soon. Well, some radio stations up in Boston were given it to him, and one of them received a little bit of a mic drop.
Speaker 2: Back, Craig.
Speaker 7: There are some who listen to this show who believe that I have not issued a suitable enough apology for a brief period of skepticism about how you do your job. So first and foremost, I have apologized that wasn't good enough or should I go deeper.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to.
Speaker 3: Stand in the way if you want to continue.
Speaker 7: I mean, there are some who after last week felt like you actually don't like me and I I.
Speaker 5: Just I don't think you like him at all.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't get that feeling.
Speaker 7: I enjoy Thursday mornings when I got to grab a cup of coffee, sit at the desk and call in. So listen, I apologize for not believing. There was a point where I didn't believe. I believe now I apology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an error message.
Speaker 1: That's the Greg Hill Show on wee I that's fun. I love that little personality from Craig. I've pointed this out his quotes. They're changing too sometimes, like yeah, like the intel here and the way that someone slicing up the Curtis meat for Connolly early trade. Okay, and I know me got hurt, but he's like, we had a need. Same thing with Retchmond. Imagine showing this to a Red Sox fan back in April this week, tweeted out yesterday slaying Giants last thirteen games against division leaders, they're thirteen to oh over seven runs per game. They have been ridiculous right now, really in every facet of the sport. Hey, Todd father, back to you. We're just going to mix in during the breaks. Here some other thoughts on teams. So the Reds just swept the A's as it's been a mess. They lost eight in a row and tumbled out of this. I'm not saying the Reds are in the wildcard race. They are four games back. I just think it's funny. They got smashed to pieces for doing nothing at the trade deadline, and I think that's fair right because they're like, oh, well we kept guys going, feel like the offers were enough. Well, the guys are going to be free agents. So if you're selling, then sell the guys, and even saving money is important to them. But but there are four games out of a wildcard spot, the Pirates spot. They're four and a half games out. I know the Cardinals sold their three and a half, Marlins are three. I get it. It's not likely that they're going to catch up to the Diamondbacks of the Padres, but it's not out of the question that they could do it. So it's funny their lack of being able to sell it the deadline might actually like keep them close in the wildcard rains right.
Speaker 2: Keep them relevant of course. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean the Hunter Green thing is oh god, that's killer. I mean, I love, I want this got to be healthy. Him and Chase Burns together are going to be absolute dynamic duo.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're there, they're there.
Speaker 4: But again, when there's three or four teams in front, there's a lot that has to go. But again we've I've said this over and over. If you worry about yourself, you go on a fifteen game, twelve and three or a thirteen or yeah, or a thirteen and two like something crazy, you're going to be right back in it.
Speaker 2: There. Do they have the firepower? I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: You know, they got to win these close games. South Stewart has been phenomenal. Eli de la Cruz keep on kind of getting there. He's going to be a superstar eventually. And until he figures just a little bit more out. A couple guys got injured, Steer Matty McClain man, we need we like I say, I'm on the team, they need him to get going more. I mean, I think the injury bug has got to this team. But again, with Tito Francono over there, there is no way I would say this team is ever out.
Speaker 1: Hot corner time. Let's hit the Braves for a moment. The fan base Braves Country has been livid in regards to their trade deadline. As far as the on field production, pretty good. They've won fifteen of twenty since the All Star Break. They've won eight games in a row, so they're fighting for one of those by spots in the National League. Right they've got a chance at picking up a bye. You know them, the Brewers and the Dodgers seem to be the teams the most in the mix here. But they pummeled Miami eleven three and they swept them. Akunya hit two home runs. Brad, curious to get your thoughts on the Braves now and the Braves in October. It's great to go on a run like this. I think the Braves are one of the best teams in baseball. I think most people would agree with that. Do you think that the rotation will be enough? And we did learn that they were looking into Schoogle. They would have given up guys like aj Smith, Shauber and Jare Ritchie. That was included in Ken's notes that he just spoke to us about they went for him, They went for de Grom. They didn't really like anyone else. I mean, they like Tyler Maley. So he's gonna start for them against the Yankees to open up that series. But where are you at with the Braves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's gonna be interesting to see.
Speaker 6: I think obviously you have number one with Sale, he's gonna pitch the first game. You hope you get the win from there. But from there, Bryce Elder really good young pitcher. He's had a couple of really good years these last couple of years, so you got to think he's gonna pitch Game two. But once again, I think it goes down to their bullpen. I think they're gonna be more of a the Star is gonna go out there and hopefully get us one one and a half two times through this lineup, and then we're gonna hand the ball over to the bullpen. I think those guys that they have down there can pitch a lot of multiple innings in high leverage spots, and I think it's just gonna be more of a try to piece the games together from there. I don't think they're gonna lean too heavily on the guys in the rotation outside of sale. So I just think it's go out there, give us as many outs as you can, and we'll get it to the big arms in the bullpen and let the offense kind of do their things. So I just it always seems to be the way with the Braves. They don't make these big, splashy trades, but they had these guys that somehow show up in October and it's just a team you can never right off.
Speaker 5: And it's just funny.
Speaker 6: Because they had a little a little bit of a bad stretch here during the season, but they're one of the best teams of baseball and they have been record wised all season long. And I just think it goes to show with the ebbs and flow of the season, and I just think in October now it's such a sprint to the finish that you get guys hot and you get a couple of rotation guys and you're set for October.
Speaker 5: And that's basically what the Bravest seemed to do every single.
Speaker 4: Yearn Yeah, I mean I think he said everything of the nature. It's a team that you can't take lightly. You don't hear much about Ronal o'cunya junior as much. You know, it hasn't been you know, from injuries, but a two homer game. He had that awesome home run that you know, two outfielders ran into each other yesterday and the ball popped out of the glove, which was really cool way of hitting a home run. But yes, he hasn't even hit his full stride. I mean, there's guys there that have been there before. This is a really veteran based team in my opinion, and I love everything about that. Knowing that they're winning their games, They're doing just fine. They're cruising right now. When I need to step up, I think as a veteran team, I think they will.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, this weekend they're going up against the Yanks. They got Molly on Friday, Chris selgo Saturday. Just give them an extra day there, and Grant Holmes, I mean Todd when they won in twenty twenty one, it's not like they were loaded with starters, so they had Freed or with Freed hurt that year. I'm forgetting No Freed was good. Charlie Morton got hurt during the World Series, right, and then you had Tyler Anderson the Tyler Anderson. Am I getting the name right there? Why am I blank?
Speaker 2: Tyler Anderson was the left.
Speaker 1: Now that's the gosh, I'm already forgetting the name. Somebody in life, please help me out pretty quickly, or don't. Who's the dude that freaking shined that year?
Speaker 2: Somebody while you at the end.
Speaker 4: No, but while you're thinking about that, they they just it's about getting hot at the right time. It doesn't matter the players you have. Once you get hot, you want to step up, whether you're pitch or a hitter. You kind of cling to that all my turn. Hey you're next.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: I hit the ground out and got the guy over. Now pick me up. Those little things that all of a sudden you're like, oh, yeah, we knew from the get go this team was going to be like.
Speaker 2: This, But no, you didn't.
Speaker 4: They got hot and they figured out a way to be the best team in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ian Anderson. See I was close, I kept saying, Tyler ian Ian Anderson who at the time. I mean, they had a lot of promise and just kind of fell off and that was that was the time though, when they needed him. Game one was more in Remember he got hurt, Max Freed Game two, Ian Anderson Game three, Freed pitched Game six when they won. In between that bullpen game with Dylan Lee and then that was game four, bullpen game with Tucker Davidson. That was game five, right, So had I guess the Braves are looking at recent pass and know it was five years ago, but it wasn't fifty years ago, and said, hey, we kind of had two and a half starters there come World Series time and we still won.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure. And I know being there.
Speaker 6: I was there in eighteen when they won the first Division title and it was kind of the same thing. It was just we're gonna piece something together here and hopefully get through it. It was those guys were really young at that time, so we struggle with the Dodgers in that first series. But all these guys have gotten older and they're still they're still there, so it's not like they need to go find something crazy to find the formula to win a World Series. It's like Todd said, it's getting hot at the right time and having your offense get enough runs and just get a couple innings from each guy, and that's really all it comes down to.
Speaker 5: You don't have to.
Speaker 6: There's really I think the days of seeing the starter go seven shutout in the playoffs is almost gone. So really, when it comes down to starters, we keep talking about starters over and over again, but we have rarely seen teams throw their starters out there seven eight innings in the playoffs anymore, or so I just think they they're they're in a spot that they like, and the way they do things in Atlanta is just what.
Speaker 5: They've done forever. You go out there, you play the game.
Speaker 6: We're gonna have the same lineup every day, and we need our guys to hit and our pitchers to get outs when they're when they're called. And it's kind of been their formula, I feel like since the early nineties. So it's really not much has changed in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're doing this, You're right, Todd Father, with what eleven home runs this season from Ronald Acuna Junior. So yeah, the whole thing with them has been, you know, they've tried slow playing it at times because the first time he came back from the major knee surgery, they felt like they, you know, maybe he rushed. He's one of those guys I will say that loves playing, he loves being on the field. He's trying to raise his hand and play winter ball.
Speaker 4: All that, right, So they playing over the fall and winter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when they're like, I don't want touch of baseball at all.
Speaker 1: Slow down, slow down, but whatever, I mean, it doesn't matter. Now we've got two months left in the regular season and October coming through. Can we get the Ronald that we're used to seeing here?
Speaker 2: I hope. So it's good for baseball for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talking Orioles for a moment here, because we've got our Orioles specialist today in Brad Brock. So tell me where the teams at. We'll get to more of the big picture in this next conversation, but tell me where the team's at here. So zach Nato hit a big three run homer helps the Angels take down the Orioles in the game and in the series where we at on Baltimore post trade deadline with some key guys gone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think they they won this series.
Speaker 6: That's all. That's the positives that come through that. With a lot of emotions. I mean, all the players were pretty candid about how emotional they were about everything that was going on with the trade of Adley, and this group has really been together for six, seven, eight years now through the Miners and the Major so I just think it's gonna be more of a long term answer. It's gonna be you're gonna have to wait to see the fifty games to kind of judge what group they have left. I don't think it's gonna be a you know, one, two, three series thing that you're gonna understand what kind of team they have. There's just there's pieces missing right now. There's been a bunch of injuries this year, so I mean, at the end of the day, they're still there with the standings and the American League is kind of allowing that this year, So I think trading away of those pieces, getting some of the prospects that they were pretty excited about is exciting moving forward, But we just don't know where it's going to leave this team for the rest of the season. But standings are dictating that they're still in it. But they have a couple of big series coming up here against the Rangers and the Twins that I think are really going to determine which direction this team is going to move for the rest.
Speaker 5: Of the year.
Speaker 1: And yeah, they won this series against the Angels, dropped the prior series, lost two out of three to the Phillies. So yeah, I mean Baltimore is still in the wildcard Max, who you like it in the wildcard mix right now? Todd Father, we went over this yesterday because Krats and AJ were kind of making fun of it, like, well, most of the wildcard contenders in the American League sold or held.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't like Baltimore, that's for sure. I mean Lesson and I don't want to meet. I don't want to come off rude or arrogant. But Scotty, you know how I was a couple of years ago they should have got rid of all their prospects. Then they got a plethora of guys and I'm like, wow, they're they're doing some stuff and now, oh man, here we go. I'm like, you know, it is, it is what it is. Love Peter Alonzo. He's one of my favorite players that ever play with. I like the Red Sox. I like either Yankees or raised Red Sox, whoever wins that division. The other two I think are getting in and then we yeah, this one, this one's tough because there's a whole bunch of teams. Did the Blue Jays find a way?
Speaker 2: Yes? What do you think run?
Speaker 1: They might finish stronger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know they don't count it out Mariners, I'm not sure. It's hard.
Speaker 3: Show me the money, all right.
Speaker 1: So let's go over this article from Brittany Gioli and the title is competitive windows don't always cooperate. MLB teams should act like it. Apparently it really resonated within the sport. There are many people that work in front offices besides just the leader of the front office or the owner, right, And sometimes you work for a team and you're like, are we going for now? I thought we were waiting for this moment? And it's fickle too, like it could pop up, it could go away, it could come back again. Right. So, using the Blue Jays example, Todd fil they made it to the World Series. He got as close as you could get to winning a World Series. And this year things are on the rocks. They might not make it. That doesn't mean that the window doesn't open back up again.
Speaker 2: I guess the.
Speaker 1: Point is when you look at where you're at during a season, you got to push chips in. Sometimes the Red Sox are a good example. Of that, right, they pick up Addley Rutchman, we talked about them earlier. But also even a guy like Eric Miller, and you trade away Marcelo My I haven't seen a ton of him in the big leagues yet, and the Red Sox decided, you know what, we have a chance to get a guy who can really help us in the playoffs. The San Diego Padres. We talked about them a few times this week.
Speaker 2: Todd. Yeah, I mean the teams.
Speaker 1: Will look at them and be like, oh, well, they just traded all their dudes away, so they can't stay competitive. We've been saying that for a while now. Have they won a World Series with it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But but have they stayed competitive the whole way through despite trading away a lot of what they have in the cupboard cupboard?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, they definitely have. And I think they're they've given it a good try. I mean, you think about the best closer in baseball in Mason Miller, they picked him up. I just love everything about GERROLI. I think she's hysterical. I think she understands, you know, when to be serious and what not to. She talks about small market teams and I think for me, This is what I say all the time, like why why can't they make a splash?
Speaker 2: Some of them have.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, you can't blame it on being a small market team when everybody has an opportunity to pick up everybody else. So the deals they make, they can get rid of some prospects, if not some of the best, to get you know, some veteran or a guy that's been in Major League Baseball and knows what he's doing to help the team out, club morale, culture, all that kind of stuff. There's no excuse. And I think in the article she kind of understands that and hits that.
Speaker 1: Very well, Yeah, Brad, I mean we're gonna rely on you for the Orioles help. Here Brittany is dialed in on the Nationals and the Orioles among other teams, but that's like her area, right, And she pointed out, you know, four years ago, the Orioles said, hey, it's time for liftoff. They did the five year scrap it all down to the absolute studs, go through the pain, one hundred plus lost seasons, and then I feel like the window opened a little bit sooner than they thought, and then it's not closed but it's never like banged completely open and put them in a position where they feel really comfortable. And they have not won a playoff game during this run, So what's the what's the feeling out there among the fan base. I'm trying to focus on them too, Like the fan base was waiting. They were promised something, and it's not like they haven't been competitive, but you look at really one shiny season and then the rest has looked disappointing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think that's kind of the sentiment from all the fan bases. That's just disappointing. It's frustrating. They're just where are we going? And now it's back kind of to the you know, Fangrass came out this week and now they have the number two ring system, but I think they're just kind of sick of hearing about having the top rated farm system and not having wins at the big league level. They went out, they got peda lines of this offseason. They signed Chris Bassett, so they're started. They put more money on the field, and the results just haven't been there, and I just think they're just kind of disillusioned. Almost at this point, it's you've told us this one plan that's supposed to happen. They go out, they win the division. You think it's going to be this five year period where they win the division every year they have a shot to go to the World Series, and they backtracked every single year. So I just think it's at this point they don't know what, like what they're saying, is it true, is it false? Like I think they're just kind of and especially after this week, I think it's really hard to get a feel for what the fan base is feeling because I just think they're all over the place. They don't know what to think, they don't know what the feel, and I don't know if the GM and the front office is helping them at all, because I think it's kind of like a, well, we kind.
Speaker 5: Of reloaded, we're good moving.
Speaker 6: Forward, but you said that five years ago and now we're at the same spot we were even before that. So it's just kind of a very confusing and frustrating part in Birdland right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the team feels like it's in the middle, and even leading up to the deadline, Brad, I don't think anybody really had a good feeling of where they were going. And I get it your sub five hundred nine and by game or two whatever it was at the time, four games you should sell in most cases, although this year the Ale wild Card is going to just be at least the third one, probably an up for grab situation for Baltimore. I guess my problem is that sometimes I feel as if the comments have more to do with what they can get back into trade versus what they want to do. You know, I'll try to This is probably not a good analogy, but you know how, sometimes it's like a pitcher is going I'm going to use my best stuff to get this guy out, or I'm going to play to the weaknesses of the hitter, and that could be two different things.
Speaker 2: To me.
Speaker 1: I kind of feel like that with the front office, where it's like, wait, are you going to play to your strength in your time to shine as a team when you're self evaluating, or are you going to say, what does the market think of my players? They like them, Okay, I'll trade a few of them away. And what that does is, yeah, it adds up prospect to the prospect covered or even the major league team, right, the projected wins and all that, But does it add up to where you are at as an organization right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's a great way of putting it.
Speaker 6: It kind of put it almost feels like they're playing on their heels as opposed to making the moves to be aggressive to make their team better.
Speaker 5: And I think ADLEI the Alley trade was a perfect example.
Speaker 6: It's it was, we're going to put feelers out there and if we get a deal that blows us away, then we'll make it. It wasn't like we're going to add to this team and stick to that plan regardless of where the record's at, because the thing is a lot of these guys were under contract moving into next season too, So even if you were able to add at the deadline, this is going to help for this year and moving forward. But I just think of that at the end of the day, they wanted to do a shake up, and I think trading Ali kind of put a stamp on this era of baseball in Baltimore that was supposed to be the you know, comeback after kind of tanking there those couple of years. And uh, the way your analogy was perfect, though, I just think it's a lot of times, well let's see what we can get as opposed to let's go out and get it and try to win. So it's it's definitely got to be a different, uh, you know, just philosophy that they might need to start using now if they're really going to start trying to win ball games at the biggest level.
Speaker 1: Well, then you know, I'll ask this question of both of you. Todd, First, you both know the race pretty well in the American League East. They picked up a catcher who can hit. Liam Hicks actually hasn't caught as much, but a catcher who can hit. Right, They picked up Freddy Peralta. Not a good first start, but I think most people feel as if that was a nice pickup for the team to add to the rotation. And then Tyler Wells maybe yeah, maybe Todd father's disagreeing with me here. Do you feel like, okay, well, do you feel like the Rays did what they should have done at the trade deadline? And do you think this is maybe the best chance for the Rays to win a World Series title in a while. Yes, they were in a World Series in twenty twenty a COVID shortened season, a little bit of a different world against LA. But right now, you look at the Rays they're in control of the division. The American League is down this year. They've got star power in the rotation and at the top of the lineup. Do you feel like the Rays did everything they could at a time when right now the organization is really humming?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is this a case of less is more?
Speaker 4: They were doing so well, did they really need to make that many moves?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, of course you need to bolster your lineup when needed. Definitely. I'm not saying they shouldn't have.
Speaker 4: But the way they were playing, is is it something that maybe we should have just left left the way it was, you know, maybe picked up a reliever or a pitcher there, which they did. I don't know. I think they got better for sure. I love Liam Hicks, love him. You know, he wasn't really catching, as you said, he was kind of the backup, maybe even to the backup over there with the Marlins.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Freddy Peroulta, I mean, this is a team.
Speaker 4: That can figure things out with a guy who's been struggling, and I think once they do, hopefully he comes back and is the number one guy that he was with the Brewers at some time. So is it a case then less there's more. Is this going to help or hurt? It should help, But at the same time, the Race have a good culture there and good understanding of how to win with the team they've had. But again, they did pick up some really good nuggets there, so we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 1: Let's hit on Deck presented by a Fox one and look at some games this weekend you can find on Fox and the Fox one app. So there's that Guardian's White Sox, a little back and forth that will also include Ozzy Gian in the booth for an inning. AJS on that game. Ken's on that game. I want to start actually with the Orioles and Rangers. First, it's Kyle Bradish scheduled to go against Jacob de Gram. That's a pretty nice looking pitching matchup. And where are the Oriols at with their rotation? I know they locked in Bradish and Shane Boz for the long term Brad, so this is one of the good ones there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure, Kyle brad As she came back from Tom and John looking really great and they locked him up. It's one of the first times Oros have ever done that in team history. So to get him solidified here for five years after this year. He's a great move, but the starting rotation has been the strength of this team. It's been a surprising lack of offense for this team so far. And Kyle bradsh is kind of at the head that Trevor Rodgers has been pitching phenomenal for two months.
Speaker 5: He went through a little bit of a.
Speaker 6: Stretch early on in the season where he struggled, but he's right back on the top of his game. So it's been a very heavy starting pitching strength for this Orioles team, and Kyle Bradis is right at the top of that. His stuff is among the best in the big leagues. He throws unbelievable breaking balls and it's he can just spin the ball like anybody I've ever seen. So that's an interesting matchup with de Gram on Saturday, that's for sure. You get two of the better stuff guys in the league. And Jacob to the ground. We all know what he's gonna do and has been doing it for a long time now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then top five that you get the two players in my mind who I think the Mets should not have let go facing off. That's Pete Alonzo, who's quietly putting together a Pete Alonzo season. I mean, he is right, he's probably gonna end up with thirty five forty homers, one thirty ops plus. I bet he'll end up with I think he's into the one twenties right now. And then he's going up against Brandon Nimo, who leads the Rangers and hits Ribby's in some other categories. So those two were doing their thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you take it guys like Plays Alexander and Gunner Henderson. It's like you gotta find the team to come together and everybody clicking on all cylinders. One guy can't just keep doing it, so you know, there's that happy medium you got to find. And a couple guys just haven't really stepped up the way that you know, us fans and people that love the teams have seen before.
Speaker 2: So that's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one more game that you can also find on Fox and Fox one app Fox depending on where you are, but Fox one App's got all these games that were going over if you've got a subscription. So Jackson job is going to make his debut. It's been fourteen months. He was one of the top prospects in the sport and he's coming back from the good old classic Tommy John surgery, top father. So fourteen months. But this is what Ken was talking about with us earlier in his segment. He said, here comes Jackson job here and then Drew Anderson, who's pitched pretty well out of the bullpen for the Tigers and is showing some swinging myths. They've wanted to develop him into a starter, so they put those two into the rotation. Of course, they subtracted Trek's schoogl in Casey Mize. But the Tigers can't say it this way. They look at the third wildcard and they go, is it crazy to think that we could sell again and then at least catch up enough to be a third wildcard like we did a couple of years ago in twenty four when they sold.
Speaker 4: If there was a manager that could figure that out, there's one in aj Hinch, for sure. He's he's a mastermind and understands his players. They got rid of two of their top guns. It's going to be very hard. But guess what, as you're a player and a team that have an opportunity, But are you gonna just sit there and lay down?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're a Tiger team that understands. You know, we got rid of some guys, but guess what, we still have guys that have been here and understand our culture and atmosphere and what we need to do to win. You know, they just they just kick some butt over over his last couple of days, and you know they're not going to go down without the.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I just think when you look at this offense, they didn't subtract any pieces, and this team scores a lot of runs. So yes, you subtract two guys from the starting rotation, but they obviously felt that the guys they have stepping in are gonna be able to do the job. And Kennon mentioned also before they're second in the American League and run differential. So it's just something wasn't adding up early on. And you know, maybe analytics is kind of right on this team that they should be performing better than they are, and even losing those guys, you put these guys in the rotation and you just got to let the offense keep doing their thing. They got a ton of bats from one through nine in that lineup, and they've got some guys who've been through playoff races before. So I mean the American League is did the standings are kind of dictating where they're at and they're right in it, so it's just kind of go out there, play the games, don't worry about the standings, and kind of see where we fall come September and.
Speaker 1: Then the Marquee matchup this weekend at least on Saturday, is Gavin Williams and the Guardians taking on Anthony k and the White Sox. Todd Fathered. Did you have any interactions with Gahan when you were on the White Sox. Did you get to see him at all? Was he around at all or not? Really?
Speaker 2: Rarely? Rarely? Okay, Well, he's a character we love. I love him. I thought he was an awesome guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, very funny and he'll get honored the numbers getting retired this weekend. What about you, Brad, did you have any run ins with Ozzie in life?
Speaker 5: We got him on the interd you never did.
Speaker 6: Just seeing some of the clips and you know, watch him getting tossed and videos and stuff like that, so it seems like it seems like a great player's manager though, even though some of those clips seem a little crazy, but he had his guys backs everybody that talked that was on those teams. Anytime you see a clip talking about Ozzie, they said that if you went out there and do what you were supposed to do, he had your back, and that's all you can really ask for from a manager.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is I mean most managers nowadays are in the position, Brad, where they'll have your back publicly to the media. They won't necessarily have your back with the front office. The front office has a lot more then back in the day when someone like Ozzie was running the dugout. It's funny Ozzie was kind of the reverse, right. Ozzie will fight to the death with the front office and tell them, hey, this is my guy, you're not trading him or we're not optioning this player. Publicly to the media. Sometimes he would roast him, but the guys liked it. I mean, at least for me. I'm sitting next to AJ and he just sometimes it was funny, right, because jokes are mixed in. The only person I can comp right now that does even as semblance of this that I can think of is Pat Murphy. Sometimes he'll roast a player a little bit publicly, but it'll do it in a fun way where you either kind of making fun of him, like you know, this guy's this guy's short, or he kind of stinks lately, but I'm going to talk to him and we're going to get him back on, you know, Like they do it in a way that I think, psychology wise, still works. Most managers are too worried about that nowadays, right because they're too worried about a clip going viral that they call the player out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think you knew where you stood with him, So I kind of respect that really, Like either he's gonna say to your face or to the media, but you're gonna find out one way or the other. And you want guys that are gonna fight back, And to me, that's the guys you want on your team. And I think that's how he kind of wea guys out. If you couldn't handle what he was gonna say, you know, to the media, then maybe you weren't one of the guys he wanted on the team. And I respect that, and I think that's an awesome trait to have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's the White Sox side. And then real quick on the Guardians, Todd Father. I mean, I think Joe Adell could do some things for them. Down the stretcher. They made two moves. They actually did more than I thought they were going to do, and we'll see. I know Foster Griffin didn't have a great first start, but we'll see how he fits into the rotation. The thing is teams like the Guardians picking up Griffin, the Rays picking up Freddy Peralta, the Brewers picking up dustin May. Those are three of the pitching machines organizationally right now. You got to give them a little bit of time to work with a new arm. If there's something they want to suggest, it's not necessarily going to happen on day one. Same thing with the Padres in Casey mis.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And for the Guardians, you know, they just got to hit more, and I think that's been their big buggaboo is getting after it with the bats. They've been really struggling there and there's still an opportunity for them to you know, win that division and find a way, which they did last year. So don't count this team out, you know, playoff team for sure, but don't count them out of you know, taking over that division too, because the White Sox haven't been there in a long time. They could fizzle. I'm not saying they won't. A lot of time left for UH to make some noise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they have on hell Hanau who they just called up the Guardians. That's a good name to watch this weekend if you're looking to see what they're up to. One of the better prospects in the sport. Okay, you can catch all those games on Fox and the Fox one app. That's where you can find all of them no matter where you are right the Fox one app can hook you up. The race October starts now, this is the spot. You've got the Fox Saturday games all on that app at home or on the go live orund demand. Never miss a moment stream. Now start your Fox one three day free trial today dot com. Hey, let's slap first off, shout out to Josh Harrison. He's officially retiring as a Pirate today is going to be honored in a pregame ceremony and they're giving out a shirt to the first twenty thousand fans at the ballpark in Pittsburgh. Also, Happy birthday to Alana Rizzo tomorrow and today, Happy birthday to Danny Graves former Red's great and and your boys Tommy Kanley and Mike Trout.
Speaker 2: Nice. I'll be sending out thanks.
Speaker 4: Reminded me I got to send out a nice text to both of them. Two really good cut all our opposites, but both great people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and good show, Brad, good stuff, Happy weekend.
Speaker 2: Everyone appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Hey that no sweat home run token could be yours and your bet MGM account get your stake back in bonus bets. See all the terms there in the bet MGM app. And also you know, if that player doesn't hit a homer and you follow what you're supposed to do on there, you could get your stick back in bonus bets. So see more info.
Speaker 2: In the app.
Speaker 1: Gambling problem or concern, there's help called one eight hundred Gambler