Speaker 1: Welcome to Desperately Devoted.
Speaker 2: Think of us as your favorite neighbors as we chat about life and relationships, all.
Speaker 3: While we revisit the iconic show Desperate Housewives together.
Speaker 2: I'm Terry Hatcher, I'm Andrea Bowen, and I'm Emerson Tenny. Hey, everyone, we hope this finds you well. So we started doing this Desperately Devoted podcast because we knew that the fans of the show were like community. We feel like family, and sharing stories from the show and themes from the show has been our way to connect with you, to share joy. But we're coming on here today because it's a really special episode for us because something important is happening in our country and we don't feel like we can ignore it. It's very strange to not come on here and acknowledge it, and so we wanted to do that with you, especially since some of our family, Ricardo Shavera and James Detton are right smack in the middle of the heart of Minneapolis. We are witnessing acts that are illegal and horrifying, and I'm going to have trouble not crying. Heartbreaking, really really heartbreaking, And so I think, as any good neighbor would do, and we'd like to think of ourselves as good neighbors on Wisteria Lane, no matter what kind of crazy stuff we get up to. It was important to us to just, you know, ground this and have a reality check with some of the people we love and care about and see how things are going in their community, and most importantly, learn what we can do to be supportive, to be supportive neighbors.
Speaker 3: So far in twenty twenty six, the news cycle has been dominated by controversy and public outcry tied to a large scale federal immigration enforcement action in Minnesota that authorities are calling Operation Metro Surge. ICE and Border Patrol agents have been on the streets of Minneapolis allegedly in search of undocumented immigrants.
Speaker 1: Local and national protests around the operation have greatly escalated after the two recent fatal shootings by ICE officials. On January seventh, Renee Good, a thirty seven year old US citizen and mother, was shot and killed by a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement ICE agents, and then again on January twenty fourth, Alex Pretty, also thirty seven, and an ICU nurse, was fatally shot. It feels very important to us to say their names and find out what we can do to help where we can. And so this leads us into today, and we are so lucky and grateful to have both Ricardo and Jamie here with us.
Speaker 2: Hi, guys, welcome Should I be saying welcome back? And by the way, don't be shy to talk. I know everybody was don't talk over each other.
Speaker 4: But we're being so good not talking over each other that it's the most boring silent zoom call. Hi.
Speaker 5: Happy to be here. Yeah, thanks for having us back. Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 2: I mean I was going to explain to Andrea and Emerson also that like Ricardo and James, both of us and we kind of keep in touch, like we text each other often. And so of course when everything started happening in Minneapolis, I immediately thought of both of you, because Ricardo, you're actually there on the ground, living there now, and James, you have lived there for many years after Desperate Housewives, and I would imagine a lot of your family and friends and maybe even you still have a house there. Can you Why don't we start with I mean, since Ricardo, since you're there, do you want to just you know, I tell us what's in your point of view, what's happening, what you're witnessing, what you're feeling, and I think ultimately what people who are out of state, out of the country, fans of yours can do to help.
Speaker 5: Wow. Okay, so I've been pretty active as best I can. I went out to a couple of different marches. Recently. I did the Lake Street protests that were lining the street from Lake Bedema Costa, which used to formerly be Lake Calhoun, all the way to the Lake Street Bridge. I don't think that they were that successful with it because it was a Wednesday night, but there were points of contacts, so like at Lake and Bloomington, at Lake and at Lake and Lyndale, these are very major intersections. Those intersections were very full, so that was good. And I was at Lake in Bloomington because that's specifically at Latino part of the community. I wanted to be there just for that. A lot of people out there protesting, a lot of I got some video, Terry. I think I sent you some of that video. I've also been trying to do just like little things, and it really started with you know, there was that big, beautiful march that happened from US Bank all the way to Target Center with twenty five thousand people in like negative ten degree weather, and it was just like it was so peaceful. These were not people that were paid. These were not paid protesters, Okay, I mean that would have been a shit ton of money twenty some one thousand people. So and these are not paid agitators. These are people that live in this community, that work in this community, that reside in this community, that are fed up with what is going on and are tired and are willing to put themselves out there to let it be known that we don't want this occupation here anymore. So that was a beautiful day. And then Saturday morning, you have getting shot and I woke up to that. I woke up to my neighbors sending me the text, and I was just like, wow, Renee Good had gotten shot, and so I was like, what is just You're like, what is happening? What is going on? And then my neighbors are like, they're saying for everybody to get out on as many street corners as possible in protest. And so we did that in our neighborhood over here in like Columbia Heights and Northeast, And I mean we started with four people by the time we finished, we had about fifteen to twenty people out there in the street corner, and people were honking. I mean, there were so many people that were honking. I mean there are also people who were giving us the finger. I think my absolute favorite one was this little old lady that drove by and gave me the finger wag of shame. So that was kind of interesting. Well you yes, ye.
Speaker 2: Here because I think, you know, and I don't know if this is interesting to people who do not live in the US, because I do feel, like, you know, political divisiveness and right wing swings are happening all over the world, so I can't imagine that it's it's just us that are seeing these extreme, horrible, illegal, you know, behaviors. But like, what what would possess an old woman to wag her finger like, I mean, obviously desperately devoted? Is not a political show. And and I'm not a political expert, although I don't. I think I'm a smart person, and I think I'm a reasonable person, and I and I you know, so I think I count as much to discuss and tear apart like trying to figure out what is happening as anybody. But like, what is she wagging her.
Speaker 5: Finger at you for?
Speaker 6: This is the interesting thing about Minnesota.
Speaker 4: People think, you know, probably you know it is the land of Hubert Humphrey and Walter Mondale and now Tim Walls. But Minnesota, as Ricardo will at test. I lived there for twelve years. I do still have a house there. My son was actually out at the protest and he's still waiting for his check, by the way, if he was paid to be out there. And I know everybody I know just about was out there. Ricardo, good on you, because that's all you can do right now. And I have a mutual friends who knew Alex Pretty who's a nurse ps one of the nicest guys in the world, peace loving guy in case you doubted it. But it's Middle America. It's not like they picked on some super progressive liberal state. Minnesota is as purple as it gets. And I got I got flipped off in my old pickup truck two times. When I first moved on, I was like, what is what am I doing? I'm not driving what happened in Minnesota?
Speaker 6: Nice?
Speaker 4: And I realized I had a Biden bumper sticker on my truck and literally waiting the middle finger at me as they passed me. I thought, oh, did I cut that guy off?
Speaker 6: What did I do? So it's not super progressive.
Speaker 4: I think Tim Wallas is one of the reasons that that Trump is picking on it.
Speaker 6: And it's also the humong and Somali populations.
Speaker 4: They are a lot of Somali immigrants, and I think because they're brown, you know, they're easy to spot and pick because Minnesota is pretty lily white, so it's easy to find these people for them and to target them.
Speaker 6: And it's really horrible.
Speaker 4: But people think about Minnesota as being you know, Mondale Humphrey, and it's very purple, and there's plenty of people that are far right maga people, so it's it's kind of a hot button place right now, which I never would have thought of, you know, just a few years ago.
Speaker 1: I want to jump in and say that, you know, you're talking about the protests, and obviously over the last twelve plus years there have been so many protests and it feels like one of the things we can do, but it often feels like not enough of something to do. But we see these signs all over social media and the internet, and there's so many beautiful sentiments that people are holding up, and I think one of the ones I've seen recently that really struck me as a succinct way to talk about what's happened is it's the Sign. And I'm sure you all saw it that said, if you're not heartbroken for America right now, then you don't love her enough. And I thought that is a really beautiful way to state something that should be bipartisan, right, because if you are politically active at all, if you are passionate, whatever your political affiliation is, it should be rooted in a love of country, right and the hope that America can be the best it can be. And I feel like we can all look around and acknowledge that this is so far from the best that we can be. This cannot be the best. And so I thought that that statement was a really good example of saying, this is what These are the conversations we need to be having, because yes it is political, and yes there is a giant divide, but shouldn't we all be trying to live in a country that we can stand proudly behind and this can't be it.
Speaker 6: You're exactly right, and it's anything.
Speaker 4: You read by An Applebaum is a great author as far as autocracy books about you know, the slippery slope and with the way it happens, and you know, you change the refs, which are the Supreme Court judges, and then you ignore the guard rails and all those things. And there's a certain amount of tolerance that's that's imperative. And when you have any kind of a republican representation or democracy where you have to legitimately believe the other side is human and they have a right to do their thing and they're gonna win sometimes, and that tolerance is just completely gone.
Speaker 6: And and you know, I am.
Speaker 4: A prejudice and that I have ended up on the left side as I was born and raised Republican. I think, Terry, you might have been raised conservative too, are you. Yeah, and the party just has disappeared. But so yeah, I'm a little biased now on that side. But it's frustrating that my friends that are still very conservative Republicans and Trump supporters seem like they don't want there's no tolerance. That we're these horrible, these sort of caricature cardboard cutouts that they've been presented on from Fox News.
Speaker 6: And I hope I'm not being too tough, but it's it's it's the truth.
Speaker 4: And then they they And so it's been tough because I can't even have a conversation anymore. And uh and obviously that's a that's not a great place for to start.
Speaker 5: You know, I wasn't raised conservative. I mean, my my father my mother were met uh you know, they were They both joined the Peace Corps in the sixties. My father to avoid Vietnam, my mother to find something better for herself. I mean when they came back stateside, they both marched with Caesar Javas in Crystal City, you know, in the early seventies. My father was was one of the members of the La La Rossa you need a party, So you know, this is this is something that for me, it was like, this is this is a no brainer. I go out there and I do this, you know. And I think the thing is is some people say, well, you don't you don't want to do that. Well, I'm not putting myself right there at ground zero. You know. I have you know, I have things that obligations, and I have children, I have this kind of stuff. But I think that it's important that and and look, man, I am Terry, you and I talked about this. I'm not trying to do this so that people pay attention to me and so that I'm getting likes. And it's like, dude, I don't If I can come up with an idea or if I could put my face out there and it provides a solution, that's all that That's all that matters at this point, you know what I mean? And I and I and I really truly believe I think more people like bigger names, bigger faces, with bigger voices and bigger platforms need to put themselves out there. I mean, we're at that point where it's like it's it is a necessity, like my thought I saw and I did this little reel about it for for Instagram, But it was you know, the the NBA canceled the game te Wolves versus the Golden State Warriors on the day that Freddie was shot. Now they just moved it a day. But it's like, why not go further with that? Why not start canceling games in general? Why don't you guys get you guys are massive leaders within these communities that you that you represent, your teams represent. You know, It's like, are we just and and we have an economic relationship. You know, you guys rely on us to buy tickets and support your teams. You know, come on, get out here with us, get out here with your community. Sorry, that's it.
Speaker 2: I agree with you on a lot of points you just suggested. I mean, I think it's tricky whether you're famous or not. I think there's a you know, there's a question of if you're obligated to speak out or you know, if there's a place for you to be holding space and support in some private way.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: I try not to be too judgmental about that. I also feel like it can be exhaustive for people to have the sense of wanting to be able to do something and not being able to know what to do. I mean, you even have a lot of push right now with the call your senator and tell them not to fund ice, which is a great idea. But Alex Padilla in California is very clearly a left supporting you know what I mean, Like like I can call him, but it's and I will and and but I don't know, you know that that probably isn't the thing that's going to make a difference, because he's already not supporting ICE, and he's already been out there very clearly about it.
Speaker 5: On my side, my two senator is because I still you know, my my my homestead is Texas. So my two senators are John Corny and Ted Cruz. I mean, really, you think they're going to listen to anything I say about defunding ICE.
Speaker 2: You know, But although although that would be the senator, when you have that connection, that's the senator that is the important call to make.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just I want to jump in and just say that in terms of calling your senators, this does especially matter if you are in a red state. And if you're thinking about if you're a listener of ours and you're thinking about calling your senator, the national switchboard is the number is two zero two two two four three one two one two zero two two two four three one two one.
Speaker 7: And you can look this up to it.
Speaker 3: Like I mean, I understand it can feel like potentially it's not that useful if you're in a blue state. But I do think that there is power in numbers, certainly if you're in a purple state or a red state. And also right now, with specific regard to Minnesota, it feels worth mentioning that you can look up stand with Minnesota dot com for a whole host of local organizations and aid groups that are accepting donation right now, in addition to if you're able to get out there on an actual street corner.
Speaker 5: I was just going to say, so, I had a friend of mine, I'm really tied in with the theater community over here, and I feel, like I said, again, I've got the imposter syndrome where I've only been here for three years. So I reached out to my like several of my people. It's like, you guys are native here, give me a list please, and I have it if you'll allow me. The big ones, uh, so U neiedos Minneapolis or Minnesota. So it's you and I, the d O S DASH m N dot org, uh, the Immigrants Defense Network which is all one word immigrants, Immigrant Defense Network dot org. Also Monarca which is Monarica m N dot org. Mutual aid efforts you can d h H Church and Burnsville have been providing food for weeks to people that are staying indoors because they don't feel safe going outside. And that's www dot d h H m N dot com. Backslash Operations South High School has a fund for food and rent for terrified families. That's www dot gofund me dot com, backslash support DASH South High School Families, Minnesota Rapid Response Coalition www dot Minneapolis dot org, backslash, mp LS, dash f o R dash mp LS, backslash And I can provide you this whole list, Jerry. I'll make sure so you guys can put it on there.
Speaker 2: Well, put them all up. I wanted to tell our audience, not because again, like you, I'm not really about telling people what I do or what I don't do in some sort of, you know, boastful way, but something people know who listen to this podcast, they know my love of food. They know how every time we've done an episode, I'm making peanut brittle or you know whatever, you know, fried chicken or whatever it is. And so I went and found a couple of ways to adopt restaurants in Minneapolis, because what happens is people are afraid to go out, and so therefore small businesses are not getting their normal revenue. And so that's something else you can do and will include all of this stuff. But I think, as I was going back to saying, I think sometimes I wasn't trying to any way belittle the calling the senators move, even if you do live in a blue state, because I agree with you Emerson, numbers matter. But you know when you can actually put money in somebody's pocket, When when that you know, in real time it will be effectual, that that feels good to be generous to help people. Like that's going back to what you said, Andrew. I mean, I'm going to cry now because it's just like I don't understand, Like I listen to you say that list of people in need and organizations that it's really great to hear you say at Ricardo, because I think sometimes people don't trust if an organization is vetted or whatever, and it's nice to hear it right from you, So thank you for that. But like you make it sound like, you know, like a war zone, and that's and that's that is what it is. And we've done this to ourselves, the federal government, the people who elected these people, like we've done this to ourselves, and it's just insane to me that we can't get past the politics in order to just see the humanity.
Speaker 5: I'd like I'd like to share something very personal, if I may so Rene Good was shot. My son was up here with me. We did a fishing trip right after that, went up to northern Minnesota, then came back. I went away into the short film in Vegas and then I got back here. So it's gone for about a week. The day that she was shot. And first off, I have a very large white Chevy truck Okay, with very dark tinted windows and Texas plates. So the day that she was shot, we were driving on Central near my house and a woman looked at my truck, scowled and picked up her phone and took a photo. Since I've been back in the past week, I've been actively followed seven times. I've had multiple people give me the finger and dirty looks as I'm driving, and have videotape or taken pictures of my truck. My neighbors have gotten my truck a picture of it as well as the plates and given it to all the active observers and volunteers in the area so that they know that my truck is a safe truck. But I mean, like literally, just yesterday I had somebody I saw the car, I saw him look and he turned and followed me and followed me all the way home, I had to flag him down and be like, I see what you're doing. I totally understand it. I absolutely support it. And it's my misfortune that this is my vehicle right now given the state of affairs. But I am not ice, and I just want you to know that, okay, And and and I look, look I'm fine with that, and I really am. But it's like, this is what's going on, this is where we're at. That like the state of Minnesota, the city of Minneapolis, if you're driving a car that looks like an ice vehicle with dark tinted windows or with out of state plates, people are actively watching you, writing your license plate down, creating a list and finding out and yes, absolutely good, absolutely good. But just today, like after I finally saw another person following me, the weight of it just I was kind of like, like, this sucks, but that but this is where we're at.
Speaker 4: All specifically, and not only him, said get your cameras out, because we would not have heard about Alex pretty if it weren't videoed. We would they would have never I mean we would have heard the name. Nobody would have known. They would have lied about it, which they did, and we would never known better. But get your phones out. And that's what's making Terry.
Speaker 6: I'm with you.
Speaker 8: I'm so frustrated because nothing seems to make a different runts.
Speaker 4: But that makes a difference because those people Rene good never would have been recognized.
Speaker 6: So just get out your.
Speaker 4: Phones and be part of the you know, the broadcast journalist, because it matters.
Speaker 6: It's it really is.
Speaker 4: It actually got the Alex pretty cell phone videos have gotten I pretty much out of Minneapolis because they got run out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the biggest, the biggest threat to this type of behavior is being witnessed to it and showing it.
Speaker 2: The New York Times did a really good post where they broke down all the video from that murderous frame by frame, and I think what's worried about it is I just I mean, it's so hard to watch and and but everyone should watch it because you can't. And this is where I'm talking about the politics again. I don't know how you show that to the wagging finger woman it Maybe she won't look at it, but if she could look at it, and when you see it the way the New York Times did it, you can't look at that and say anything other than this is not what should be happening. This is totally this guy had nothing, did nothing wrong, Like there's there's no fault on his.
Speaker 1: Part at all.
Speaker 2: Like this, We've got to change this behavior of this enforcement.
Speaker 5: You know, it's you know that the woman, you know, she's gonna sit there and tell you this is fake news, this is this is not real. This is you know some that's AI generated. You know, well, well Fox News told me this. I mean it's like you know that, and and Andrew, I see her head. I mean, that's that's We're so divided at this point. We are this and there are certain entities in this country that are so gleefully happy that we are this divided, you know, because this is their opportunity to get exactly what they want, you know, you know, just to go back real quick. You know when when I said get out there in March and put these faces out there, I mean it's also like do as much as you can that you're comfortable doing. You know, I'm comfortable putting myself out there. I don't like, what what do you dude? I grew up a certain way. Please, I'll be fine, you know what I mean. Like I've seen a lot of shit in my life. I can put myself out there on the front line and be there and be a face in the protest. But if you're somebody that's not comfortable with that, there are absolutely other ways calling your senator or getting onto one of these organizations and donating, donating time. I mean something as small like going for me. I went the other day and spent time with a friend of mine who's been shut up in her apartment for weeks because of her cultural background. You know that she's a part of you know, she's she's afraid to go outside. So I said, Hey, I haven't seen you in a while. Can we grab a coffee? Do you mind coming near me? There's a coffee shop I feel comfortable with. I was like absolutely, And so I sat there and we sat there for two hours, and afterwards she sent me a text and she was like, thank you so much for coming. It meant a lot to me. And I was like, absolutely, And let's not forget that.
Speaker 4: In addition to all of those things you mentioned, vote work on a campaign, because if we don't change if the mid terms, if the House doesn't flip in the midterms, it's just gonna get worse because it's gonna give a stamp of approval to those guys, and they're just gonna it will escalate even more, and then of course that fire hose of Greenland and all of that craziness continues. But it's the House is very gettable, and so work on a campaign. Donate to you know, any kind of candidate that you believe in, even if they're Republican. There are good Republican candidates. I mean, there are good candidates all across the board. But work and vote and flip the House. Because once the House is flipped, then of course you'll have Trump will be impeached. May not be removed, of course, but at least it will check it. You know, Christy Nolan will be impeached. They can start, We'll have some voice, you know. And I'm not for smoke screening and like rampant impeachment, but there's got to be some guardrails have to be thrown up, and we can do that.
Speaker 6: We can do that in the.
Speaker 1: Midterms and do what we're doing here, which is talking to each other. I know that in this space we all feel very much aligned. But continuing to try, even though it feels impossible, it's certainly challenging to engage in conversations with people who feel like they are not aligned with you. But we have to. And I know that we all struggle with feeling like you know, with our podcast and with our platform and things like that. We certainly don't want to come across performative at all, which is what can happen. And I know we've even touched on that here in this conversation. But it doesn't matter what you do. It doesn't matter in this case that we're actors, or that we know each other from a TV show or that we have a podcast. We're having this conversation because we're citizens of this country, because we care, because we're people, And it doesn't matter if that conversation is happening across your fence line with your neighbor, or at your dinner table, or at your supermarket or on a podcast. Have these conversations. We have to be talking to each other.
Speaker 2: Can I ask, like just a tiny bit tangentially for again, I think the benefit of many people who might be listening to us that obviously this is heavy and hard and exhausting, and you know, it pulls the life out of you. The emotions some people are so sensitive and they're just paralyzed. And I'm wondering maybe to start with you, Ricardo, since it sounds like this coffee, even something that small, is sort of a good example of this, but like, what can people do to take care of themselves and each other in times in the world where this is what's in front of us?
Speaker 5: You know up here? One thing that I've learned in this beautiful state that is Minnesota, the one thing that they still value is they value the concept of being a good neighbor. And I think that that's something that's like, you know, whether it's the person that's right next to you or the person that's in front of you in line, or just just to show that that that sense of kindness and also that sense of wanting to be neighborly by saying just a simple hire Hello. There's a lake that I go and walk all the time here, and I see so many familiar faces on that lake all the time, and usually we're ninety percent of the time you're just walking by each other as you're doing your walk. But as I've gone out there the past couple of times, everybody, everybody's like, hey, Hi, Hi, Hello, Because it's like making sure like I see you, you see me, we are familiar people with each other. You know that that whole sense of being a good neighbor, being an attentive neighbor, being a communicative, communicative neighbor, I think is something that we all can do right now.
Speaker 7: I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that. I used to call that the power of good mon That like when you like walking along and you just say, say, you know, I do that on my walk sometimes, and it's hilarious actually to me that I would say, three percent of the people ignore you completely and you just go like you know, like you're walking mind you go good morning, and they just go and you're like, wait, you know, and when somebody says back to me, good morning, and there's like this real acknowledgement and energy in two words of connection, you just you do have like this deep, deep, you know, heartfelt sense of oh that's humanity, we're connecting. Do anybody else have thoughts on that?
Speaker 7: I was going to say, I'll just share.
Speaker 3: I mean, I had a dinner last night actually with two of my best girlfriends, and normally we would go out somewhere or like go to a restaurant, and I think right now and maybe it was subconscious, but then we talked about it content this idea of wanting to just have these safe spaces.
Speaker 7: They just came over to my house.
Speaker 3: And we ordered in food and we opened a bottle of wine, and we ended up having some really long conversations about how to continue to live a life while you're grieving and while you're afraid, and while there's so much cosmic and global heaviness, and like then and then even you know, forget about whatever you have going on personally in your life, if that is personally heavy also.
Speaker 9: And by the end of the night, you know, we didn't come up with solutions, but just getting to sit together and share and be like, I'm going through this too, and you have a place of community, and we said, we said, you know, we're gonna make a point to do this once a week right now during this time, and we can invite however many friends we.
Speaker 7: Want over and it's not a party.
Speaker 3: It's just a place to gather and to witness each other and to really remind ourselves that we aren't alone.
Speaker 7: I think it can feel so easy in.
Speaker 3: Our houses and in our lives to go I'm alone in this experience or I'm alone in this fear and in this grief, and just to reach out and say, like, hey, come over, we can do nothing next to each other.
Speaker 7: We can just sit next to each other and do nothing. I think is so.
Speaker 3: Important right now. And it was really soul restorative last night. So I will offer that if it's helpful, and sort.
Speaker 6: Of on that same idea.
Speaker 4: And I know it's like a broken record, but part of the problem and the pain of this is the helplessness. Right you watch this happen, Terry. You're in tears because you see it happening. How is it happening? And I can't do anything. But what we can do is we can change the entire change the attitude of the country by voting and by working on campaigns or you're talking about Emerson, what you did, We used to do that.
Speaker 6: And while you're there, you.
Speaker 8: Can fill out cards for a candidate.
Speaker 6: Find the Canada.
Speaker 4: Look, we flipped Minnesota four and five and twenty eight because we were so I right, we couldn't believe that, you know, Trump had won and both four and five were red districts, and we got Dean Phillips and Angie Craig elected in that big wave literally handfuls of us that we're going to roll up our sleeves and flip these districts and we did.
Speaker 6: Granted Trump being elected.
Speaker 4: Helped, but it felt so good because you didn't feel powerless, you know, and you don't have to go out and if you're not uncomfortable going knocking on doors or you don't have to do any of that.
Speaker 6: There's so much to do that you can do in a small group over wine or lunch.
Speaker 4: And you also had that sense of community, but you don't feel powerless anymore.
Speaker 6: And it really is.
Speaker 4: It was the most rewarding thing I've ever done, flipping those two districts that we did, because you felt we did something, you know, we actually put our God off our couches and went and made something happen. And it feels so good to not feel helpless.
Speaker 1: Andrew oh Man, I just keep thinking about I'm obvious a freshly brand new mom and and so the thing that propels me forward and to maintain hope right now is to just look at my sweet little girl's face and know that I am going to do what I can to try to create a better world for her, and I owe that to her. I brought her here and and so that is my biggest propeller obviously right now into action. And I agree with everything that everyone has said. There are small ways to do things that are personal, that are just reaching out to the people you know that are in Minneapolis or that the people you know that feel scared wherever they are. And then there are bigger things that you can do. And you can write letters. If you don't want to make phone calls, you can obviously phone bank. I've done it a lot. It is so much easier. They streamline that process. You know, they give you a script and you can just you know, there's there's so many things that you can do locally. I love your idea, Terry of adopting a restaurant. I think supporting small businesses, especially those of minority groups right now is a huge way to help and direct your intent, you know, attention and your your resources. And I just i'm I'm I'm so glad we did this. I'm grateful to all of you for doing this and for you know, gathering together and using our voices and our relationships to talk.
Speaker 6: Me too.
Speaker 2: And this is you know, what family is, and like what Ricarda was, what you were saying about being neighborly. I mean, we're we're the neighbor We're the O G neighbors. CHRISTERI late, we got We're the exact right people to be having this conversation about how to be neighborly. And you know, just because you're here and because I'm sure fans of the show would love it and maybe we can have the tiniest bit of levity to the So the two of you, I know you you stay in contact. I know your friends. I don't know if like fans know who's actually friends in real life, so that might be interesting for them to know. But I was wondering if you guys have any memories of with Syria Lane that you want to share.
Speaker 5: I look, I mean, you know, my my memory is always the time that they they had my character go and stay over with with James's character.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 5: And we became like kind of like the odd couple bosom buddies. Uh and you know, sitting there watching football and drinking beer. And then like I think one time I had my character had a lady friend over and he kind of walked in on that if I remember correctly. But I always, I always wish that that could have like got it extended a little bit more because I realized just how much fun James is to work with, you know, and and and just a wonderful human being an actor. Uh and and that we've we've just we've kept in touch the whole time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's your reboot. That it's your reboot, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's pretty funny after all these years. You know that Ricardo and I we every now and then.
Speaker 4: You know, we call each other peanut, butter and jelly because that's what we were when we live together on the show. So I do think people are surprised and terry, you know, with us when I tell people that we're still friends, They're like, really after all this time.
Speaker 8: But yeah, some people you just can relate to really well, and you.
Speaker 4: Bond with and and the show was just such a gift that I just look at the idea that we're so all of us. Andrew, I haven't seen you in forever, and it was so great to reconnect to the podcast. So yeah, it's a real special it's kind of a special bottle. And we went through a lot of stuff together. It was a real life changer.
Speaker 2: It really was, well thank you guys for joining us, and we're going to make sure for everyone listening, we're gonna put up all of the ways that you can contact and support and you know, donate or get involved. And Ricardo, we just send you you lots of love and strength to you and to the entire community of Minneapolis, and and please do keep in touch. If new things come up in new ways that people can help, please let us know, because I really do love that personal connection. You feel like you can a family, or adopt a restaurant, or adopt a person, or adopt a church, or you know, like get involved with something specific and small that needs help.
Speaker 6: So thanks for doing.
Speaker 5: Very much. I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and we just want to say if any of you are listening in Minneapolis, our hearts are deeply, deeply with you. For the rest of us, let's please keep helping where we can and supporting those who need our voice and our strength. There's there's so much that we can do right now, and sometimes just telling people that you're there with them and insolidarity with them means the world.
Speaker 1: And looking ahead, we hope you will join us next week for another episode of Desperately devoted. We have an incredible guest with us, and I'll give you a little tease. She is the longest running cough cough not desperate housewife on television, so you will not want to miss that.
Speaker 2: I'm so grateful for this podcast and for the idea that we get to be neighborly with you, because being a good neighbor is sometimes the best thing you can be. And we will see you and talk to you and be there for you to listen to you next week because we are always desperately devoted to you.