Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys Straining live from.
Speaker 4: The Dallas Cowboys World Head Course.
Speaker 2: At the Star in Friscous Dotson Touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Stanback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: It's an off season edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star and Frisco, Texas in the SWBC studios.
Speaker 6: Welcome in, everybody.
Speaker 5: We only got a couple of things to talk about today, Cowboys Nation. Just one or two or three or a million possible different scenarios surrounding your head coach. And one of them that we know is not going to happen is that Mike McCarthy will not return as the head coach in Dallas. Got the full cast and crew ready for you to rock today. Patrick Nocy, Walker, Josh Roderiguez, Isaiah Standback, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeoman's glad you're with us. It was about eleven o'clock yesterday Monday morning that Tom Pellissero from the NFL Network tweeted the breaking news the Cowboys and head coach Mike McCarthy have agreed to part ways. Very shortly after that, the Dallas Cowboys media team has confirmed and we have been off to the races since then. With all these speculating, all the speculative thoughts and conspiracy theories about next head coach, don't spill my business on the air, okay, till we got a long way to go about how it unwinded though, conspiracy theories about how the whole thing happened, and then conspiracy theories about what's next and where are the Cowboys going to go from here? So we'll start with Patrick here little news and notes and you and I had the Breaking News podcast yesterday, but just for our talking viewers, I listened outlined too.
Speaker 1: It was a good podcast.
Speaker 7: It was really solid.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, you guys went over your time. I mean, but it was we definitely went over.
Speaker 3: M not.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: I was definitely on kid pick up duty and listening at the same time. I'm dedicated.
Speaker 1: Well done. I like it.
Speaker 5: It's good for you to make up after missing last one, got the story.
Speaker 6: Shows left to come to make up. Then you missed this.
Speaker 9: Pastor you're gonna pickle down take that NFL network on tom So teammate.
Speaker 8: Obviously, like how said we know Karthy and the Dallas Cowboys are partying ways going forward. The Cowboys did say in their statement that they were going to commit their search immediately, and boy, they were not kidding around. Jerry Jones put in a call to none other than Colorado head coach Sanders from a former Dallas We're.
Speaker 5: Sure Jerry actually dialed the phone and called or did Colorado possibly or Dion possibly.
Speaker 1: Call the other way around? So saying.
Speaker 8: I'm saying it was probably c like they probably had a little yeah, a little bit of both.
Speaker 1: There's more on that.
Speaker 5: I want you to continue before I get it. Yeah, I think it's all.
Speaker 1: Oh no, absolutely, we're gonna talk about that.
Speaker 4: I hear this.
Speaker 8: As far as who sent the hey, big head text, you know, I'm sure Jerry probably big You know that that you up going keep going, So we don't rumor has it reportedly it was Jerry Jones and the Cowboys who reached out to Dion Sanders and uh with primary interest and UH.
Speaker 7: Prelimit primate Mary primary Mary.
Speaker 8: Mary preliminary is the better word, preliminary interest with interviewing him possibly interviewing him. No formal interview has been set between the two. No formal interview has taken place. It was just a back channel conversation to gauge interest. Reportedly there is mutual interest, and now we're gonna circle to the opinion part of it.
Speaker 1: Stop it. My opinion is it is your opinion has stopped. My opinion is stopping. I get it.
Speaker 8: It's the headlines, it's fun, yeah, Eon, it's all the things. But what's going to ultimately happen is it's gonna go nowhere and Colorado's gonna up the bag that much more for Dion. So you could arguably say this is a leverage move by Dion. And that's where I'm gonna leave it with my opinion.
Speaker 6: Dion doesn't want to be here.
Speaker 5: Let's let's let that completely know Dan, why not Kyle, Because he wants full control of what he does to build a football team, and that's what he did at Jackson State, That's what he did at Cedar Hill Trinity Christian That's what he did here now currently with the Colorado Buffaloes. He doesn't want that at the NFL level, plain and simple. He's good friends with Jerry. They have a relationship back and forth and it has been since he played here in Dallas. It makes storylines, but he's amidst a contract negotiation for an extension in Colorado before that phone call happened.
Speaker 1: It's a leverage movie.
Speaker 7: And these two men of the same idea when it comes to business one.
Speaker 1: They knowsating, they know.
Speaker 10: How to market themselves, and they know how to make headlines. I'm not saying that's a big part of what you're seeing now.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying it would would not be fun. Oh my goodness, the media circus would be unbelievable. It would be the most entertaining thing of all time.
Speaker 1: Is it a great X's and O's move. Maybe, who knows.
Speaker 5: We don't know really what's gonna happen out of the next head coaching higher It could be a terrible X's and O's move outside of of Deon Sanders. But man, I just don't see this one a mutual agreement of let's do this.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 8: I think it's it's headline driven and as far as the news and notes, let's give the objectivity. And here is Deon Sanders' response to the reports quote to hear from Jerry Jones is truly delightful and it's intriguing. I love Jerry and believe in Jerry. But after you hang up and process it and think about it, it's intriguing. But I love Boulder and everything there is about our team, the coaches, our student body, and the community.
Speaker 1: End quote. He's not leaving Colorado.
Speaker 7: It would be really fun, though I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: It's not real.
Speaker 8: It'd be fun as far as just roller coaster without the harness coming down and it's like, wow.
Speaker 1: This is really dangerous and I might die, but we're gonna have fun.
Speaker 7: It would be a really fun offseason.
Speaker 10: However, I think your excitement would kind of roller coaster all the way down when it comes to, like, you know, a week one, like oh god.
Speaker 7: Gonna play, Oh this is happening, This is happening. It would be a fascinating officer.
Speaker 8: Well, first, let's start with this because irs and and Josh, you guys weren't on the emergency pod, and I know that you were agreeents that we agreed that I would bring we would bring Mike McCarthy back. My thing was all four of us, all of us were. My thing was and that were we wanted that we wanted wanted.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was. I did not think he was going to come. I don't. I think you and I were in the same agreeance there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was going to and this is where it and I'm hearing the same whispers, So I'm going to go ahead and say this is confirmed. So the reports initially were that the Cowboys and McCarthy were kind of not at odds, but they were not on the same page as far as length of contract is concerned. If that's the case, I understand what McCarthy did.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 8: I would not have given him more than a two year deal, and I said that. I said that, but I also said in the same breath, he's not going to accept the whole year deal or a one year deal or a one year deal. So it sounds like more or less that's kind of what happened. The Cowboys approached him with something less than a four or five year deal. McCarthy was like, I want a four or five year deal, and if you're not going to give me that, then I'm going to have to head out. And Jered even were like, all right, So the next uber is coming in about twenty So for me, it was a McCarthy decision.
Speaker 1: Both sides wanted it to work.
Speaker 8: Jerry Jones, they wanted him back, but McCarthy wanted more years, and even I was not comfortable with another four or five years.
Speaker 1: So not about money, It was about tenure. It was about tenure, Okay, I think it was about you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because I do believe McCarthy was probably, especially given who his agent is, was probably looking for a pay increase because inflation is a thing too.
Speaker 1: From twenty twenty to twenty twenty five.
Speaker 8: Absolutely absolutely it is, so I can almost guarantee McCarthy was looking for a bump and pay. But I think the priority for McCarthy was stability over the pay versus someone like a Ben Johnson, who, yes, Ben Johnson wants some stability, but Ben Johnson wants the megabag. Also, people need to understand when you say Mike McCarthy, you're saying every other coach that is under his own umbrella. That's what I don't believe that people are understanding about these negotiations. In these conversations, he's not just negotiating on behalf of Mike McCarthy and Mike McCarthy's household. It is literally every other coordinator, every other position coach, every other assistant, strength coach, everybody, everybody, everybody, everybody three rs. That's who he's speaking on behalf of so even outside of himself where he I can't speak for him right, but he may have been willing to take a lesser year contract, but he I don't believe he was willing to put his staff.
Speaker 1: In that situation as well.
Speaker 7: Again again, by the way, just again, can you get into this year already with it being on?
Speaker 10: But why would he want to go through that same roller coaster again with the same questions, the same type every year.
Speaker 7: It's the spotlight is.
Speaker 10: On him yet again with a longer term deal. You don't have that spotlight as hot on you for this season. You know, it's at least it lets you breathe for one.
Speaker 8: Well, he's faced something every year exactly outside of the first year, which was a COVID year, He's face something every year. He said he brought dan Quinn on. They had success. The question was, oh dan Quinn gonna be here? Is Jane Quinn gonna take his job or they gonna swap right, then it was Keller more conversation right.
Speaker 1: Oh, like every year it was something right, every year was a threat to him.
Speaker 7: Comes with the title man, yeah, weight.
Speaker 8: And with that comes Okay, once it comes time to negotiating, I now need to roll all of that up and turn that into dollar signs so that I can bear that weight.
Speaker 1: Agree.
Speaker 8: And we've said it a hundred times. Free agency, it doesn't matter if it's a player, assistant coach, or a head coach. Free agency is a two way street. And this is not was not a Jason Garrett situation that were not teams interested in interviewing Jason Garrett as he was exiting the Cowboys organization. There are teams interested in bringing on Micha McCarthy as he exits the situation. So that means that he was able to walk in and have some demand and if his demands were it met his deal breakers is non negotiables, and if they couldn't meet his non negotiables, then you get where we are right now, which is the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: You're looking for their ninth head coach.
Speaker 10: And just really quickly, when it comes to the Cowboys denying Mike McCarthy interview with the Chicago Bears earlier last week. To me, there's a lot of backlash from that move because now people are like.
Speaker 7: Well, why did you let him? You know, because they were if why would you why would you give them that opportunity?
Speaker 10: Like to me, that that's a silly argument at this point to say, after the fact, of course, hindsight is twenty twenty, but of course you don't let him interview because you're still in negotiations at that point.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 10: Granted you're not in contractual negotiations, but you're still trying to figure out what the future of your team is.
Speaker 7: Why would you give Chicago the opportunity to interview this guy before you need to? This is a business man. Yeah, people are like, oh, petty by the front office, that's stupid.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I just think that's it's people trying to get clicks, not saying.
Speaker 10: That the Cowboys have handled everything correctly this offseason by any means, yes, by any means yes.
Speaker 7: However, in that to that point, why would you do it? There's no benefit to you to do to doing that. Wait a week, bro, it's a week the offseason. We got a long way to go.
Speaker 5: Nobody's getting hung out to drive. From a McCarthy's standpoint or a McCarthy's staff standpoint, because he waited a week to negotiate the rest of this contract, that's just playing something.
Speaker 1: The only thing.
Speaker 6: Nobody's left out the drive.
Speaker 1: There was no petty means in that capacity.
Speaker 8: I agree, because it's just the Kyle and I have some business to discuss and we're sitting in a room. It's just Mono with Mono, and Isaiah has some business that he wants to talk to Cal about and he comes in. Yeah, taps on the glass and want to be hold on a second. Let me let me see what we all finished before Kyle and you start having these conversations, cause I don't know what you're going to say to Cal and that might completely derail what.
Speaker 7: He and I the business that we're trying to So just hold off.
Speaker 8: So that didn't negatively impact McCarthy at all, But it did negatively impact the cowboys by waiting that we to part wait. No, that's different reason being because example Ben Johnson, Aaron Glenn, those requests windows closed in that week that it took you to decide, or it took McCarthy and you to decide you were going to part ways, and now you can't talk to those two guys until after their season concludes, and if their season takes them to the super Bowl, then you got to wait until after the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: It's almost like before the final game, before the season was even over, that there was a podcast that outlined the importance of making a decision, what might one way or the other?
Speaker 1: I just I think there was one. It was called Talking Cowboys. Yeah, that one the most of that pod. Really.
Speaker 6: I tried to stand it.
Speaker 1: Now, I wasn't.
Speaker 7: I tried to stand on a table. Nobody heard me though.
Speaker 1: It's fine. Isaiah's making faces. I need it, Coy Isaiah, is he back?
Speaker 6: Do you make the trip back for Vegas?
Speaker 8: I just want people to understand that when we start talking about coach McCarthy and the leverage that he gained after understanding that there was going to be a market for him, negotiations get a little bit more more fair, right, and then the tides kind of turn a little bit, and there's a lot of a lot of games that are played and negotiating, So we don't know, we don't know how these conversations went.
Speaker 1: We don't know who was taking who we don't know who was taking the time.
Speaker 8: It very well might have been McCarthy drawing it out to ensure that they couldn't talk to her.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 8: There's all kinds of different leverage moves, and this chess when you start talking about contracts, this chess man. I've dealt with this for the forever many years now. All right, y me, let me go ahead and draw this out a little bit, because again I am not Jason Garrett, and I got options, and and to turn down offer that's in front of you.
Speaker 1: You know that there's an option that you can take it. What Chris Rock say, only faith l options? Yeah for real.
Speaker 5: So it all kind of boils down to what happened in twenty twenty four, I mean the season that was you were given a one chance, given a one year opportunity to try and take this team to the level you were anticipated to take them in the previous years, the.
Speaker 1: Twelve and five, twelve and five, twelve and five.
Speaker 5: That was the that was the bar, that was, let's make it at the beginning of the year exactly, and you did not get there, safe to say, so that was part of the decision, was the one in three record in playoffs, the way you lost to Green Bay was a legitimate contributor to the decision making process. And really, if the front office was not reluctant.
Speaker 1: To bring back Mike McCarthy, Mike McCarthy would.
Speaker 5: Still be here playing and simple everybody that's saying, and I completely agree with how it happened where it's length of the deal and there's just a disconnect there. If there was any sort of buy in from the front office that Mike McCarthy was indeed the right person for the job, he would still.
Speaker 1: Be here because they would they would have made the deal possible.
Speaker 5: But there was a reluctant side from the front office. There was a reluctant side from Mike McCarthy, and because of that, that's why they ended up parting ways. Mike McCarthy did not tell Jerry Jones in the front office, nor if anything. Jerry Jones said, it's on our terms. If anything, if you're coming back, it is going to be on our terms, And it wasn't on there.
Speaker 8: They both said the same thing, yes, but correct and every windows and whatever came after that.
Speaker 1: Ellipses, that's what that's that's.
Speaker 10: What came to the crossroads. Well, that's why he's not here one hundred percent. I think whenever we were talking about him after the Bucks came and we were all very much in agreement, like, all right, he needs to come back, like that's that was the That.
Speaker 1: Was the final hourrah.
Speaker 7: That was the final hurrah.
Speaker 10: That was you know, you saw the team galvin Ies behind him and like all of the positive things that were saying. However, I think I had said, or one of us had said, after that game, it's like, okay, but if you do if you play like you did against Baltimore, if you play like you did against the Story against UH, for any of these last two or three games, right, I would reconsider the thought that we're having now, which was like.
Speaker 7: Why would you go back? Why would you go back?
Speaker 10: And then Phill And then Philly happened, and then that that happened, how it happened. You fought against the Commanders, which was a decent game, you've lost at the end. I don't think that necessarily played into the idea of it all. It was that Philly game that really broke it for me and ultimately for me, if if it were if it were up to me, I would have brought McCarthy back, but I would have demanded he not call plays That.
Speaker 1: Would maybe, but that would have been a.
Speaker 10: Sticky point for me because time and time again in the red zone, when you saw his situational awareness when it came to the red zone, I had no confidence that we were going to score touchdowns.
Speaker 7: It's like, okay, this is the Brandon Aubrey show.
Speaker 10: Now once you get past you when you can ridiculous, man, ridiculous To me, that is a yeah. But for McCarthy because he's like, why would I give up calling place? This is my team, this is how I run, And felt like that was a slight comes not here anymore.
Speaker 7: So yeah, not exactly what what I said.
Speaker 8: Not.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well he wouldn't have been back with macarthy.
Speaker 5: I speaking of now that Mike McCarthy is on his way out the door, wherever he ends up next to, I mean I personally want to wish him best.
Speaker 7: Yes, of course that's not really good, dude, excellent.
Speaker 5: So wish him best wherever he does end up, whether it's as a coordinator, head coach, or wherever it may be.
Speaker 6: Uh, well, I'm sure we'll see.
Speaker 7: Him down the line, because he will be in the NFL about this table.
Speaker 1: Will he get a job? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, I have a know good for you.
Speaker 7: He takes another stands say what he thinks he's going to get one?
Speaker 1: He's not.
Speaker 3: It's there's only right now, there's only six spots, correct, So tell me where he's going, New.
Speaker 1: Orleans, New Orleans.
Speaker 6: So Aaron Glenn's I can get that job. No, that's where he came from.
Speaker 1: That's fine, that's where he was right. Party also has history dominator in New Orleans as well.
Speaker 10: Another year, guy Mike mccarthy'll say, yeah, I think Aaron Glenn's getting that That's that's what I think.
Speaker 6: I think Eric Glenn's getting this job.
Speaker 5: Now at the U, there's a lot to talk about in terms of who is that next man up at the head coaching position, and could it be a guy that recruited Isaiah standback one time.
Speaker 6: We'll talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 1: More talking cowboys right after this.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee Today. Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 11: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 4: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See atd dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 3: It's the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 1: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 3: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whiftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 1: That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 7: Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 12: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 1: To the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Back here on Talking Cowboys, This portrait of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven. My oats on the Internet using the quake r code in the left hand corner.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, today, I did not. By the time I got here, the oats had been pulled. They pulled the oats before nine. It was black rifle was I didn't get a black rifle today. I did not.
Speaker 8: If I had a black rifle today, I would. I didn't think I should come off the top rope today, you know, with the understanding of what just took place. Yeah, of course people need to be able to hear us and digest exactly exactly what we're saying. I feel like it might have been a little bit too to regress dies. Just it takes a little bit, you know. Yeah, break down, slow, breakdown, anybody pancake.
Speaker 1: So let me get this straight.
Speaker 5: So you're saying on a show where we encourage Cowboys Nation, say it.
Speaker 1: With your chest. It's a lot of information to take in today to the information.
Speaker 5: Is pretty much there. He's not coming back, and there's a lot of guys that could come here. I want to know what you're coming off the top rope.
Speaker 8: With you want to know, come off the top ro people, since you guys want to go a little on Netflix.
Speaker 9: I mean.
Speaker 1: Someone like Cage Cage Match everything.
Speaker 8: Whenever these conversations come about. Whenever these conversations come about, I'm usually the the guy that's the odd ball, you know. I'm the one who says something to everybody's like you're crazy, and then, like you, later on, you find out that the person is getting interviewed.
Speaker 1: Last year, my crazy take true? What was Rex Ryan? I said, Rex Ryan was should be the defensive coordinator here last still on television, He's still on.
Speaker 8: Television, but I still stand behind that. I feel like he should have been a defensive coordinator this past year.
Speaker 1: Are you going to say it? For this year? He's going to I think he's going to New York. Yeah, I think. I think. I think he's good.
Speaker 5: But he's he's so vocal about that. On the on the broadcast, like yeah there was. They were showing a play of Josh Allen going into the Bills game and Josh Allen threw it like on a dime off balance deep into the New York Jets secondary and he goes that going to happen next year, hopefully I'm there, Like in the middle of his analysis.
Speaker 7: I feel like he has ten toes in the ground.
Speaker 1: And probably he likes toast. But yeah, in the game, suit what you did there? So this year my hot tape, right, I'm not a hot take guy.
Speaker 8: Last year was Rex Ryan. Obviously that did not pan out. But following that comment, Kyle laughed at me. I did on air, But then we found out days later that he was being interviewed and considered.
Speaker 1: Did he get interviewed? He did. I don't think he did.
Speaker 5: I think I thought they've just talked money and he said no. If that was from his part, there was never an official he.
Speaker 8: Lost to Mistah. Granted, I'm not gonna sit here and see the wrong decisions.
Speaker 1: I'm not conceiting he was considered.
Speaker 8: He was considered for the position BOO this year and now with the Mike McCarthy, and it was obviously following the last game. On the first word, I said that I don't believe that Mike McCarthy was going to return, but I've been very adamant that I was hoping that he was going to return.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately he's not here. I think that I don't think this will happen. This is my who I think should come.
Speaker 7: In it's a good feeling.
Speaker 1: If it's a good feeling, I think. I think I think John Gruden is the black sheep. I think he's.
Speaker 8: Obviously there's a lot of speculation around, you know, the stuff that he had that went down.
Speaker 1: That caused him to lose his job originally.
Speaker 8: I think that stuff's kind of getting swept under the rug, like things happened to do. Yeah, I think when you think about somebody who's going to come into this organization with everything that you have to bear as a head coach here, I think coach McCarthy felt the weight of a lot of that as well. I don't think that he necessarily wanted to do all the things that came with being the head coach of the Cowboys, but he did them right because that's what the job and you know, required. But I don't think it was a willingness. I think John Gruden will welcome all of those things. I think John Gruden is a great spokesperson in terms of forward facing. I think he can stand on business at all times. I don't I think he can handle the media very well.
Speaker 1: Very well.
Speaker 7: He's been in the media.
Speaker 8: He's been in the media prior to that. He knew how to handle the media. He just knows how to win as well. I like his his grit and the determination in terms of what when you start talking about a coach and what everybody underneath him embodies that that team embodies the spirit of the coach. Right, we talked about a dan Quinn Right, the whole, the whole state of this of this team changed when dan Quinn came out because people started embodying what DQ had. Now you're seeing it in Washington. I think John Gruden is one of those guys. I don't think that you're allowed to be soft and allowed to not have high effort if you're on.
Speaker 1: A John Gruden team.
Speaker 8: I think that's just one of the things that's just you just know, right in terms So that's culture, right, somebody who's got to bring a culture with them. You're not wondering if they're going to establish a culture. You're not wondering if they're capable of it. You're not wondering if they're just a good play caller. You know you're gonna get culture. You know you're gonna get disciplined. You know you're gonna get wins, right, and you know you're gonna get somebody who can handle the weight of the star. Those are all things that I believe that John Gruden possesses. Whether it happens or not, I don't know, but that's somebody that I know for sure to say, Hey, that dude right there can handle being the head coach of the Dallas Colbal.
Speaker 7: You can handle the weight Isaiah right now for sure.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, sir, hand up, Okay, fantastic points. Everything you said is a fantastic thank you, sir.
Speaker 7: So I'm not laughing at you. So my question just I wanted to let I wanted to let it be done.
Speaker 1: Laughing. So my question isn't necessarily for me.
Speaker 8: This is me playing Devil's average, going to be a Kyle Yeomans, nice right kid, So Devil's Advocate.
Speaker 1: Everything you said is absolutely correct.
Speaker 8: Okay, So if you're going to go that route with Grooden because of all of those things, the media portion notwithstanding, because who I'm about to say wasn't necessarily didn't have any TV broke, so he didn't move throughout the weeds and the TV world like that.
Speaker 1: If you're Jerry Jones.
Speaker 8: Why don't you just look at Mike Zimmer for those for everything that you talked about now this, no, this is not me saying I would.
Speaker 1: I'm asking why, advocate I see and I still stand behind this.
Speaker 8: I've seen Mike. I've seen Mike Zimmer throw his quarterback under the bus before before.
Speaker 1: Okay, his name is Kur. I can't look past that. Yeah, I can't look past that. It was it was during a time that was that tumultuous, crazy time.
Speaker 8: Nobody knew what was going on. Somebody was standing on their beliefs or somebody was I hear you. That's that's different though, take right, So, so attacking my beliefs and attacking what you feel I should be doing or too because of completely different things, and then to throw somebody under the bus who was supposed to be the leader of your team publicly, I can't look past that.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair.
Speaker 8: Now let me tell you who if because we talked about this on the emergency podcasts and go to Dallas Cowboys dot com. I have my twenty plus candidates that the Cowboys will have interest in, either somewhat or wholeheartedly.
Speaker 1: That's up right now one Dallas call.
Speaker 8: I sectioned it off between the nflers, which a year old guard kind of in the John group. So I got John Gruten in there, and then you look at the in house guys Mike Zimmer, Al Harris Bones Fossil, and then you look at the collegiate guys.
Speaker 1: So go check it out.
Speaker 8: Sure, So right now we're talking about the box of the nflers is what I call them. John Gruton is an nfler. For me, I'll see you at John Gruton.
Speaker 1: I'll raise you. Pete Carroll in that box, all for it in that box. So for me, I don't.
Speaker 8: Disagree with anything that you're saying as far as Gruton is concerned, but I feel like turn the knob just a little bit, and I'm more in on Pete Carroll than I am on John. I understand that, especially when you're talking about more recent success at the NFL level. Also proficient with how to handle the media. You talk about someone who's been under the brightest of lights, whether it be at the USC program, and not just USC, but the USC program that's he orchestrated, came through that controversy mostly clean, went to Seattle, won a lot of games, won a Super Bowl, helped design that the Legion of Boom with Dan Quinn. So you got, you know, a taste of what Pete Carroll's tree can do for you. Why not go get the root of the actual tree.
Speaker 10: To that point, though, I am I'm curious though. If Will McClay is staying that to me informs me whether or not I go with Gruden or if I go with Carol. If it's Gruden, I need Will McClay because I've seen what Gruden has done as far as draft prospects, draft picks, picking guys that are very flashy. Will McLay has found diamonds in the rough, and you don't have as many draft picks as you would like going into this draft.
Speaker 7: Of course, that fourth round pick.
Speaker 1: Is, yes, the big one.
Speaker 5: They've got a lot of cop picks coming, because that's true the lack of offseason they had last year.
Speaker 6: But that fourth round pick missing.
Speaker 7: That is but you're gonna miss that.
Speaker 1: I love where you're going with this finish up.
Speaker 10: But with Pete Carroll, I think you do have an opportunity to still be successful as recruiting.
Speaker 7: Because of recruiting, people want to play for him.
Speaker 10: I think that is a huge tell whether if those are your two candidates, which way you're leaning. If you don't have Will McLay, I don't want John gun in that case.
Speaker 8: How about this? I don't why is it a situation? And you're right, but I don't feel like it should be a situation where you have to choose. Again, we're just talking about this box. We'll get to the Ben Johnson's and the other in the Kellen Mooreris we'll talk about that, but just speaking in this box, why not dragon Ball?
Speaker 1: Why not do a fusion dance?
Speaker 8: Pete Carroll and Will McLay fantastic recruiting, fantastic scouting, doubt Why force yourself into a situation where you have to choose between one and the other?
Speaker 1: YEA, just fuse.
Speaker 8: I've played for Pete Carroll and heruited you, and he recruited me heavily harder than any body.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't see for sure it didn't work. But my first.
Speaker 8: My first day of practice in Seattle after he has signed me, was he came up to me a stretch line and said, I told you I was gonna get you. I don't see Pete Carroll living in Texas. Wow, I think that's a geographic decision for Pete Carroll. What I mean, honestly, you're saying this as somebody who knows him personally, but got you got to give him.
Speaker 7: But things have changed for Pete Carroll.
Speaker 8: Things have changed, Things have changed, but there is still a job on the west coast. M miss what's the west coast?
Speaker 6: Vegas?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is that considered the west Coast's definitely west coast.
Speaker 6: I mean like three hours.
Speaker 1: Drive to l A.
Speaker 5: Are we on the bulf of Mexico in Dallas because they're about the same amount of drive.
Speaker 7: Calveston's right there.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 8: I mean saying I think he's more Las Vegas than he is Dallas. That's not to say that the Cowboys want to talk to him. That's not to say that he wouldn't work here. I think he would. I think Coach Carroll can work anywhere because he's a He's a culture guy. Right, you talked about the DQ's of the world and all these they came from his tree. He can make it happen, for sure. I just think that if he had a choice, I think he would prefer Vegas over Dallas. Now here's what I think could overcome that. What we talked about yesterday on the Emergency Pod. This is a Cowboys team that has cornerstone pieces, yes, already in place. You got your franchise quarterbacks. He's an All Pro and a former MVP front runner. You got your franchise wide receiver record center in Ceedee Lamb. You got an all world generational pass rusher that you're in all for all intents and purposes. You're about to give him the super bag. Okay, you have two All Pro corners, so for to Marvin Overshoon once he comes back from injury, you have Bandre and you got an All Pro kicker. You got an All Pro returner. So yeah, Cayle made a wonderful point yesterday. Spots eleven through fifty three, there's a lot to be worked out there, Spots one through ten or eleven. Vegas can't boast that there's a lot of teams in the Chicago can't boast that.
Speaker 1: Jacksonville can't boast at New Orleans can't boast that.
Speaker 8: So if if the breaking or the deal breaker for Pete is simply Texas versus Illinois versus Florida, I can overcome that.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, look at what we have and what they don't have. It's not just that I.
Speaker 8: Understand how and height of a relationship and those state texts that Coach Carroll had with Snyder when he was in Seattle.
Speaker 1: Those guys were like they were like attached at the hill. They agreed. So understand how in symmetry he has to be with the gym or Will McLay. Will McLay, maybe the symmetry just needs to exist with Will McClay. Right. So so that's the nfler's box.
Speaker 8: In the NFL's box, we got John Grutin, we got who do we say, Pete Carroll. But then of course the elephant in the room is the coordinator's box. So now Ben Johnson, Aaron Glenn, Kellen Moore, who that's a big one. He's a front runner, whether you like it or not. And I'm going to say that I'm not in on that, but speaking from the thought process of the guys upstairs, Kellen Moore is absolutely from.
Speaker 6: He I know you don't like it, and you don't see it.
Speaker 1: I don't either, and I don't see it, but they see it, but I.
Speaker 8: Just I don't When you start speaking on the Ben Johnson's, the Aaron Glens, I think Top Monkin, I think Aaron Glenn. You have a better idea of the culture that you would have underneath Aaron Glenn than you would of the culture of Ben Johnson. I don't know him well enough to speak on him, but I don't I've never heard of culture or the environment that he's created. There you hear about his play calling, I haven't heard much about the culture that he's kind of created.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so he's a.
Speaker 5: Little bit more soft spoken and timid than Dan Campbell's not a little a little yeah, I mean, like today one A lot of times coordinators will elevate to the inner level.
Speaker 8: So for sure, that's so that's my That's always my fear. That's always my fear when it comes to head coaches, is you could be a hell of a play caller, a hell of a coordinator. I don't mean that you're gonna be a great head coach. Yeah, right, And if you're soft spoken. Through my experience and for what I've seen around the league, even just the coaches that I had and the coaches that i've seen now, quiet and timid or not, whatever you might want to call it as a great play caller. You have to manage the coaches. Your job is to coach the coaches. That's what a head coach's job is, coach the coaches and manage everything else. You're the executive other coaches. I don't know Ben Johnson's leadership skills. I don't I play with with Aaron Gliss. I have an idea of that. I don't have an idea of who's the other person? You got said killing Moore, Benja.
Speaker 1: I mean killing Moore. I don't see. I'm Kellen Moore is a good play I don't see him as a lead leader man. I just don't. So that's when I think of a head coach. That's why Gruden pops.
Speaker 8: Up immediately to immediately to me, I think, obviously, Ron Rivera, that's gonna go about I pushed back there from a lot of people. But you talk about leader of men, leader of men, that's what you're trying to come in. Yeah, I feel you, But like that's what you're coming in and asking of a coach. Yeah you want to win, Yeah, okay, but what goes into that, right? Who's your staff that you're bringing in? Do you have command of those coaches. Are you going to be able to tell those coaches this is the culture that we're running, and they're gonna say, okay, right, those are all things. Does your strength and conditioning program match up with your style of play?
Speaker 1: Right? These are all things that go into that leadership.
Speaker 8: And if you don't have a good sense of that person coming in with that all wrapped up, now you're hoping.
Speaker 1: Now you're guessing. Now you just don't know, right, Kellamar what culture does he bring? I don't know. Ben Johnson, what culture does you bring?
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Your office line is gonna be catching the ball?
Speaker 8: I don't know, right, Aaron Glynn, Okay, you know there's gonna be some discipline there, right, These guys are gonna be They're gonna be butting up, right, They're gonna be butting up.
Speaker 1: But when I think about that's why I lean towards in.
Speaker 8: Terms of this organization, I lean towards the people who have done it before, right, Yeah, to say, okay, you know what, organ I'm not running the risk, right, I just let go on, McCarthy. I'm not about to run the risk on rolling the dice and seeing who may or may not work out like they have this this box check, but I don't know about these other boxes.
Speaker 1: That's why I lean towards Gruden, right or the RIVERA.
Speaker 8: Rivera is the guys that are more established, because like, Okay, I've seen them lead, I've seen them get to the big games, or I've seen them do these things, and i know what I'm going to get and I'm hopeful that I can get it again or get more out of them.
Speaker 1: Right, But I know for sure that I have a baseline there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it gives you at least some level of confidence going into it, and you don't necessarily have that outside of that.
Speaker 6: Now, we got to take our second break.
Speaker 5: When we come back, I want to talk about who this could affect from an assistance standpoint, and I want to throw one more name out there that was talked about yesterday during the emergency pod that I want to just go ahead and cross off the list entirely. I want to cross with yeah, all right, when we come back with more talking cowboys. Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah.
Speaker 11: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 4: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals. They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker. Back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys, and we're going to overtime Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 14: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of AMERICAP mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com slash aericup by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Allas Cowboys. Erica respondses to me. Very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap maybe recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: All right back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment of the show is brought to you by and Vis Line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Patrick Nocy, Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah standback, Chris Pian in the back, Kyle.
Speaker 6: All right. There were a couple names yesterday. I want to cross one off.
Speaker 5: Patrick wants to cross one off in terms of names that the Cowboys could think about. We had a conversation yesterday of what it would take to bring Sean McVay into the building, and a lot of that results around a first round pick.
Speaker 1: I'd give it up, I know you would. Would La give it up?
Speaker 7: Would they give up Sean McVay up at the second.
Speaker 8: As of a couple of months ago? Inside I had Sean want it. He still is open to get He wants to get out of there.
Speaker 5: Sure, I'm looking at that game last night. I think that's an absolute pipe trick. Oh yeah, I don't know what they have a thing anymore. La doesn't want to get rid of him. He he may not one out anymore. He may one out, who knows, But it's really not.
Speaker 1: Up to him at this point, this after next weekend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I I just don't think it's going to be a thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's highly probable. I think it's impossible. I would impossible.
Speaker 5: I would stake a bet like I would do a hot Chip challenge if that ends up happening, I would one hundred.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I'm not good with spicy, Okay, so I would do it. I would die. So that's your strike through it at the probability.
Speaker 6: I'm striking through Sean McVay, it's not happening.
Speaker 1: Happening.
Speaker 8: I'm striking through Bill Belichick. Yeah, got a job number one, he has a job. But yeah, things can pivot and things can change. Like Isaia said, nothing impossible.
Speaker 13: But.
Speaker 1: Stop it. Jerry Jones is not going to pay the ten million.
Speaker 8: Dollars it would take to buy Bill Belichick out and then pay the exorbitant salary that would then be required by Bill Belichick, who also, by the way, what's that sea word that Janet used to say?
Speaker 1: Control? Oh okay, Yeah, it's not happening, right.
Speaker 8: For the same reason that Jerry Jones is not going to pay eight plus million dollars to buy Deon Sanders out of the contract to Color.
Speaker 1: It's not going to happen. So strike through Bill Belichick.
Speaker 8: I think that he's really setting up himself for the University of North Carolina and that's just going to be a thing.
Speaker 1: So strike that, and for me an add on, strike.
Speaker 8: Jason Whitten as a viable head coaching candidate. Okay, we talk about lack of experience and how and I agree with you. You don't necessarily have time for a guy who doesn't have the NFL experience. But there's some You can make an excuse for Ben Johnson, you can make an excuse for that. Erin Glynn, you can make an excuse for that. If they want to make an excuse for Keller Moore, they will find a reason to make an excuse for Kella Moore. But what you can't just is pulling a guy up who has only two to three years of coaching experience period, and all of that is at the high school in Jason Whitt. So strip through that. But I would love to have Jason Witten as a position coach. We talked about what that would mean as far as the shake up that's coming within the assistant coaching ranks.
Speaker 1: Let me be clear.
Speaker 8: If hiring Jason Witten as a position coach costs you Lounda Wells, then it's not worth the hire. If hiring Jason Whitten keeps Lounda Welles, but maybe you put Lounda Wells in a different position, like an offensive line coach, which he's done before. But that also allows Lounda to still be in the building helping Jason Witten with the tight ends again fusion dance.
Speaker 1: I'm with that.
Speaker 7: Well, what about the people that are i mean, obviously, Jason Witten.
Speaker 10: Is a beloved figure in Cowboy's history, right, what about the people that are saying, well, look at what Dan Campbell's done.
Speaker 7: Look at a former player turn head.
Speaker 1: Coach and in a bottle.
Speaker 8: And also you have to Isaiah made a wonderful point. I'm going to circle right back to this. When you're assessing the Dan Campbell situation, you can't look at it as a vacuum and say, oh, well, they hired Dan Campbell. He was a four I'm a Cowboys player. He went up there and he changed the whole culture.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Changing the whole culture? Right? He was given the control to be able to pull in a Bill Johnson and Therey.
Speaker 8: Glenn and those other positional coaches to move that Titanic away from that iceberg.
Speaker 1: Will that all of those variables.
Speaker 8: Exist in the exact same way, in the exact same fashion here in Dallas.
Speaker 1: The answer is no.
Speaker 8: So you can't hope for another Dan Campbell. You gotta go with what probably fits you best in the right now. So if you want to go youthful and a guy he wasn't a former cowboy, but former Pro Bowl caliber guy who's helped turn some guys around, Al Harris is staring you right there in the face.
Speaker 1: If you want to roll some dice, If you want to roll.
Speaker 10: Some dice as NFL head coaching or NFL coaching experience coaching.
Speaker 8: And you've seen his ability to develop exactly You've seen he's a guy that players will run through a wall for, you know what I mean. So if you're gonna roll dice, though, that's the name, that's justifiable to roll dice. For as much as I love Jason Witten, we're talking to head coaching conversation, I'm out on that respectfully.
Speaker 1: Respectfully, of course, that's just for say whatever you want to say, respectfully.
Speaker 8: I know I have such reverence for Jason as a man, as a father. You know, if you know his story coming up, it's.
Speaker 7: On Deep Blue Dallas Copples dot com.
Speaker 8: Everything he overcame to become one of the best to ever do it. I do think that he will be a sensational NFL coach at some point. That point is not right now. He needs more grooming and it starts with coming from high school. Give him a position to job, and then let him work his way up over the next several.
Speaker 5: For every Dan Campbell, and that is more so the exception and not the rule. For every Dan Campbell, there's also a draw Mayo. Yes, there's also Jeff Saturday. There's guys that are making that quick transition in the league that don't have success because of whatever parameters they're given, the roster they're given, and all of those elements.
Speaker 1: Jeff Saturday in Indianapolis, no where to go.
Speaker 5: He was the head coach there for a hot set after that. Yeah, he was just on the broadcast with Everybuddy restaurant.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Again, Dan Campbell was lightning in the bottle and he had they gave him the control, Yeah, to turn that.
Speaker 1: So he's the leader of men.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you gotta have the right person.
Speaker 1: That he was the right person. It was everything, no, everything else.
Speaker 8: But I'm saying, like, the one thing is, like, you have to command a room full of men, and they have to listen to you and believe in you, and whatever you're pitching, they have to literally embody it.
Speaker 1: You have to be willing to write.
Speaker 8: Like, I don't think people understand how difficult that is to walk in a room and tell everybody what your vision is and everybody says, okay, I'm on board.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not the easiest thing in the world.
Speaker 7: A lot of people don't want to hear you out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, your natural instinct is to be like trying to hear this cat. That's your natural instinct. But then you have to sit back and you gotta watch how this person moves, How does this person operate? Is this person consistent?
Speaker 1: Do they waiver? Right? Do they are they passionate? Do they love they?
Speaker 8: Do they genuinely love everybody? How do they treat the janitor? Like all these things matter, right, that's all culture. That's all culture, man, And like you don't just walk into that, right, and especially when you've been in the league as a culture coordinator for a number of years. You have a body and work to look back and be like, yeah, I don't know who followed you, Is anybody following you?
Speaker 1: Or did you just do a good job calling plays?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 8: And that's why if you're going to go into let's say the coordinator's pool, right, I find it difficult to believe that, and I could be proven wrong.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 8: I find it difficult to believe that Kela Moore can walk into a room full of NFL players defense and offense and get an immediate buy in like a guy like a Pete Carroll or like a John Gruden. But if you're looking at coordinators, you look at what Demiko Ryan's was able to do with the Texans. But that's because that's the type of aura. When Demiko Ryans walked in the room, and he's such a player's coach buy in.
Speaker 1: Can't give an example.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I don't know how how smart this is me to say so in off season list. Upcoming off this previous offseason, I was doing Rise to Vote. I was working with a nonprofit organization that goes and talks and presents all the voting information. Right, these are all. This is how you do it is how you sign up. This is all the information that you guys need to know. While I was doing that in affiliation with the NFL. So there's a number of organizations, no number of teams that I went.
Speaker 1: And presented to. The Bears is one of the organizations.
Speaker 8: When I went in there and I talked to when I talked to the team, I was introduced by Ibra Flus and I was like, no, like just just really just in the ten minutes that I was that, I wasn't sitting there. I think he'd be a great coordinator again, and he was best, but coming from a former player who retired twelve years ago, right, I was in that room, I was like, not a head coach saying it, no disrespect to the man, but like, you're not commanding these guys just from him, how he how he addressed the team. In my head, I kept it to myself, right, and obviously that's worked his way out, but I knew from them.
Speaker 1: I was like, he's not going to be able to get these guys on board. Yeah, let the aura tough immediately. That's just as me, that's me sitting in a room as a former player and be like he doesn't. He doesn't. It doesn't mean, it doesn't mean he can't call plays, he can't command.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, we'll see lots to talk about.
Speaker 1: This will not be the final time we talk about this head coaching vacant. We'll be back. Yeah, it'd be interesting.
Speaker 6: Uh, that'll be We'll be back Tuesday at eleven or.
Speaker 1: No ten am.
Speaker 5: On Tuesdays from here on out. We'll talk about it again next week. Maybe we'll have some more names and we'll be able to cross some others off the list as we go along.
Speaker 6: For Patrick No.
Speaker 5: See Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Stanback, Chris Beave in the back of Kyle Yoman saying so long, we'll see you next Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.