Speaker 1: Hey, ann yo, Ty, listen if you haven't already joined stitch your Premium, it's the perfect time. You get completely ad free episodes of hundreds of good ones like Comedy Bang Bang, I Know You Like That? Love It WTF with Mark Maron How Did This Get Made? You also get twenty one thousand hours of exclusive content damn. New exclusive originals like Marvel's Wolverine and Isa Ray's Fruit are launching every week for Stitcher Premium. If you love podcasts, you are truly missing out if you don't get in on this right now. When you listen to ad free episodes on stitchr Premium, your favorite podcasters also get paid, yes, which is a big deal. Help support your favorite shows and join Stitcher Premium today. Get a free month of listening by going to Stitcherpremium dot com and use the promo code verbal. Welcome to the Solid Verbal. I'm that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say what I want to be happy? You want to be happy?
Speaker 2: For day?
Speaker 1: Edith State is that? Whoo whoo and don and tie. Welcome back to the Solid Verbal, Boys and girls, my name is Ty Hildebrand. Joining me over there and beautiful and why see my man Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how's it going?
Speaker 2: Coach Ben Waugh wants to know before we get into anything, whoa WHOA come in hot, before we get into where you can find the solid verbal, what we're doing the rest of the month in summer, what places you can follow us. He wants to know what is Tie's pregame ritual before the podcast. He always starts strong with great energy, wondering how he gets so jacked up. Tie, This is me speaking, Yeah, be four right, be truthful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, did I tell you I made the switch over from Lacroix to Bubbly spark Water.
Speaker 2: Well, Lacroix does have sparkles, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think they're basically the same thing. But I'm drinking a Bubbly right now, an Apple Bubbly, which I've never tried before, and it tastes pretty good.
Speaker 2: Is that a full routine?
Speaker 1: Well, there's not really a routine. I'm always excited to speak with you, Daniel. Okay, what did you do today to Oh? I see where you're going with this. Yeah, there may have been a bathroom situation prior to hitting to hitting record today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is going to be a great show. I have so much faith in the entertainment value and just the freedom that you're feeling right now.
Speaker 1: The impurities are out. I am ready to roll. I feel liberated. How about you? What is your pregame ritual?
Speaker 2: I had half a box of crackers, some Trader Joe sushi, and a lot of water. And listen to is it Camille Cabello? I think it's Camilla Camimila Cabello. Yeah, I listened to Havana eight and a half times. Camila Cabello, you're into this. I don't like pop music, tie, I don't like modern I don't like the youth music. But when I do, who do I like it?
Speaker 1: Well? Now I'm in you may, by the way here a little bit of an echo on my end because the studio, the new studio in the new place, is functional but not acoustically treated in the manner that we demand here as the pre eminent college football podcast. So I'm I'm in the new digs here. And because I am where I am, I've got a little bit of a longer commute to the mysterious day job, which means more time to imbibe ingest and really think about the pop music that the youth are listening to nowadays. So I'm hoping that in a few short weeks I can be back up to speed where I need to be. So you've moved in, just about moved in? Yeah, just about. You're sleeping in the new house, sleeping in the new place.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, you get the always like fun like first wake up, like wait where am I?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, had one of those.
Speaker 1: I'm still having those exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what are people listening to right now?
Speaker 1: Why do not? It's what I'm saying, I need to get myself back up to show you need your bearings.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're listening to the Solid Verbal that's ty. I'm Dan Soliverbal dot com. There will be a new website probably in the next month ish.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's coming.
Speaker 2: Yes, there will be merch up in the next hopefully two to three weeks ish. That's the goal. We've got all sorts of fun shows. Plan soliverbal at gmail dot com, Follow us at solid Verbal, like us on Facebook Solid Verbal. We have spillover Q and a too many questions. Last time we asked for a couple more so we have more questions there. We have some news to go over. We have housekeeping to address. Yes, you moved into a new house. I was just in Mexico City. It's all happening. George is dead. This is Jerry's Call me back, George Steinbrenner, Jerry, call me back. Yeah, So that's all I have.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, thank you everyone out there for tuning in when we last left our hero. That's you, Dan, Dan Rubinstein. You had a great show that you put together with Mike Gould Junior. Big thanks to him for being a good sport, not only in dealing with our secret verbal madness, but also in coming on and answering what I thought were some really personal questions about gaining and losing weight as an offensive lineman. You really cut to the deep stuff there, man. So that was a good show. Hope everyone appreciated it. As Dan mentioned, we've got pages upon pages from our last Q and A show. We just didn't feel right about not addressing as many of these questions that remained after our last Q and A broadcast. So here we are also late May. It's late May. Yeah, we're getting into, as I said to you earlier this week, the territory where we can actually see a pathway through to the start of the season.
Speaker 2: Speak for yourself, ty, I am, I'm just looking for a pathway to a water park at this morning. Well, I just want to enjoy my summer. I can see all of you at the what is it? It's the Wisconsin Dell's. Do you know about the Wisconsin Dell's. Sure, it's like a water park city. So that's all I care about right now. College football will be there in late August.
Speaker 1: We will get to our housekeeping stuff here in just a little bit, as well as our present thing sponsors for the evening. But Daniel, let's talk. I'm not going to play the breaking news sound if only because of two reasons. A. I don't have the soundboard, I don't know what box it's in, and B I don't think this quite warrants breaking news. Let's say it's just talking points that we want to use to lead into Yeah, we'll wear Q and A. Well, you put these together, so I'm gonna I'm gonna ask you to elaborate, because my guess is you've got more formed thoughts on the matter. But as we know, with Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan football program, they've been doing this international tour thing. Mm hmm. At the start of now, the last two seasons it went to Italy year ago. Just got back from France. They've made their selection as to where they're going to be going in twenty nineteen, and that country is It appears to be South Africa. South This is cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this Johannesberg and Cape Down. I guess it came out that a booster, I forget who the booster was paid for the trip to roam. It's pretty cool. This seems pretty sweet to me. But yeah, that's he He went on the radio and said that's where Michigan's gonna head next year. And I would love to go to South Africa. I would. I mean this is it can only be a positive thing. If you're a college kid, you get to go abroad. So I'm a fan. Have you been to South Africa?
Speaker 1: Did you?
Speaker 2: Have you gone abroad in college?
Speaker 1: I've never flown over the Atlantic Ocean.
Speaker 2: Wow, Ty, we got to get you as a stowaway.
Speaker 1: I'm not yet. That'd be great.
Speaker 2: I'm not a Michigan trip.
Speaker 1: I'm not against it, by the way, I'm just saying it's never I know, I know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Solid wife Kate just gotta get on kayak, get to get on Google flights.
Speaker 1: I don't know if South Africa would be my first selection, and that's no disrespect to South Africa. I'd probably take a trip if I were a Michigan player it were given to me for free. Yeah, that's a great opportunity. But I think I would probably want to knock out Europe before I moved to other continents.
Speaker 2: Will you go to Europe this summer?
Speaker 1: This summer? This summer, dude, I bought a house. We're staying. We're staying put for the duration of you know, the summer here.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, we'll go over the other ocean. Because a Wisconsin nose tackle, if he's not a nose tackle, God bless. But I'm pretty sure a Wisconsin nose tackle over the Pacific Ocean is from Hawaii. Did you see the slow motion backflip from a three hundred and thirty six pound man on the beach?
Speaker 1: Incredible? Absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: I it is basically I will. I know I will never be able to do the other physical feat that I find to be impossible. I could probably do a backflip with some training, but the the videos of guys jumping out of pools onto the deck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that I.
Speaker 2: Can't get enough of. I am nowhere near a backflip. I'm nowhere near three hund than thirty six pounds. I guess that would be God. I waited at about bucks seventy two the other day. What how much time would it take you with something important on the line to learn? How much time would it take for you to train and complete a standing backflip?
Speaker 1: Well, the answer to that your current weight. Yeah, the answer to that question is contingent on how close I can get to a backflip.
Speaker 2: Now, I assume you would just jump up and flop back.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I don't. I don't. Gosh, I don't know if I could make it ninety degrees, let alone three hundred and sixty. If I give you a month, Oh God, could I do it in a month? I could probably get pretty close in a month. Okay, I don't know. How about you?
Speaker 2: Big where its No, it would take me like six or seven weeks, eight weeks, a couple months.
Speaker 1: That's an excellent question, tweet us. That's solid verbal.
Speaker 2: How long would it take you?
Speaker 1: Maybe there's like a physical trainer or a former g that listens to the show that can offer some insight on this one. How long would it take me to go, for my current state into about place where I could do a backflip?
Speaker 2: That is so, I don't know if this will serve him. Obviously, there's a huge degree of athleticism from this nose tackle. If he is able to backflip over a goal line situation to do like a reverse LeVar leap, it's all worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'll be roundbreaking to go to that to that extent, and let me add something else here. It's a totally different league when you're talking about just doing a backflip versus doing the thing where you jump out of the pool. I just wouldn't make that. I'm not equating the two. I think jumping out of a pool is an alienability. I don't know how anyone's able to do that, right.
Speaker 2: I think this standing backflip is so much cooler. Last year the big thing was quarterbacks throwing to guys on jet skis or water skiing, whatever it was.
Speaker 1: This is so so so so much better. Tie.
Speaker 2: It is impossibly better. So that's all I have with backflip stuff I do. There is a serious story if we can get into it real please please. A jury ruled that Todd McNair, former running backs coach for USC, who was singled out in the nc DOUBLEA sanctions, he was given a year show cause. He has then now in turn sued the NCUBLEA, and it made its way past the number of panels because the NCAA has wanted to throw the case out, but it finally made it to a trial. And of course his accusation was that he was unfairly singled out and that he the NCUABLEA acted recklessly and defamed him and caused him to not work since twenty eleven, and he was suing the NCUBLEA for acting recklessly in their imposition of sanctions as it relates to Reggie Bush and Lloyd Lake, the marketing guy, and he was suing them for twenty seven million dollars.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of money, by the way, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: Of money, saying it led to depression and it hurt his finances to a crazy degree, all of which seem like within the realm of possibility, given that he hasn't been able to work and had worked his way up to USC. There was an issue there was a lot that was in the case that was shown that the nc DOUBLEA was acting in a negligent fashion. I think, with the benefit of hindsight, it is very clear that the NCUBA acted crazy, harsh towards USC given the evidence that they had or didn't have, and USC should not have received the degree of sanctions that they've received. But I guess his attorneys were not able to prove to you know, to hit that burden that, because defamation is a very difficult thing to reach, that he was indeed worthy of receiving the award that he was seeking. So I think that the jury said that they felt bad and in no way sort of blessed how the NCUBA acted, but the burden was too high and he was not rewarded for twenty seven mili.
Speaker 1: I have a couple streams of thought on this matter, none of which are as serious as they probably should be. The first is that this is still going on. Yeah, it's still going on. Todd mcnaer has been out of football since like twenty ten, twenty eleven, yeah, something like, I mean, it's been a while since this whole thing. First off, it makes me feel old, mm hmm, you know, because this stems back to the whole Reggie Bush thing, which of course was a very big deal for a while, and I tend to agree that USC really got the short end of the stick on that matter. But the fact that it's still going on, I'm sure is going to be news to a lot of people if you didn't already read this. Yes, there were aspects of this whole thing that were still going on. The second is that twenty seven millions a lot of money. By no means that my skilled in the ways of you know, legal things, legal eues, if you want to call it that, sure the law, I would just like more information on how you come to that figure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a calculation of you know, if he had continued to move up the coaching ranks, how much he potents much he could right, Lloyd Lake did not testify, which I think it seems hurt his case that, you know, his lawyers could debunk a lot of what Lloyd Lake might have to say, and he was interviewed in a sort of misleading way. So it sucks to hear because I really had hoped that he would have received some sort of settlement for the way everything was handled. By a pretty terrible committee of infractions on the NCAA's front.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious as to how you get to that number. And I'm not criticizing the number. I'm just genuinely curious as to how you get there. And then my final point, you sort of stole the thunder a little bit, But does Lloyd Lake does a gentleman by the name of Lloyd Lake not sound like a marketing guru. It does sound like if you were going to invent a fictitious character that was going to be a marketing guru, a name like Lloyd Lake would have to be on the.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean it does.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a fake name too, right, exactly like you were pulled over and sir, what's your name? And you look at something and you look at a magazine in your car that's like, oh, it's Lake Michigan, right, and you're next to a lake. And yes, it does sound a little bit misleading, but man, it's a tough break for Todd MS.
Speaker 1: Tough break, tough break, all right. The other news that we mentioned a couple shows ago, quarterback transfers were in full on quarterback transfer season. Mm hmm. I don't know if there have been more lately or if we just hear more about them now, but the grad transfer thing has obviously been a pretty big deal, not just grad transfers, but transfers in general. Five star quarterbacks, highly regarded quarterbacks go to a school there's a logjam at quarterback. They obviously want to play, so they move on. The two names that we have spiked out here are Joe Burrow, who transferred away from Ohio State and is now going to LSU.
Speaker 2: Yes has our will grad?
Speaker 1: Yes? Correct? And Hunter Johnson. Hunter Johnson a former five star quarterback recruit, he signed on with Clemson. Clemson's quarterback situation has obviously gotten very very muddied now given the fact that Trevor Lawrence has gone there. Kelly Bryant is presumed the starter as of now. Hunter Johnson, native of Indiana, really had no place on that totem pole at least if reports are to be believed. And it sounds as if he is considering either Purdue or Northwestern as his next stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he has some connection to Northwestern, but yeah in Indiana, Native Indiana just got a grad transfer. I think it's a full grad transfer. Maybe it's such a transfer. Transfer from Brandon Dawkins of Arizona Purdue would make sense given what Jeff Brohm has done with quarterbacks over the course of his career. Will he be long for West Lafayette. I wouldn't bet on it at this point, but yeah, and it sort of. And the Joe Burrow thing makes sense obviously, Ohio State's recruited number of talent the quarterbacks. He did not win the starting job. It appears Dwayne Haskins is in the driver's seat for that after Burrow got hurt as the onset of twenty seventeen, and Dwayne Haskins did look very good against Michigan in relief of j. T. Barrett when he went down briefly. So Louisiana State University is where Joe Burrow ends up. Joe Burrow fight be good. Nobody really knows people are winning the spring game stats. But the good news is that I don't think anybody at LSU was all that confident in what they had in the quarterback room. You know, there are names that were recruited with certain cachet, but Joe Burrow, at least in terms of adding numbers to just you need to take as many shots as possible to find a quarterback that will work out. And LSU has, you know, gone through some things these past couple of years, a lot of that that roster has been overhauled, you know, a lot of attrition, especially some struggles on the offensive line, losing a couple of big names at receiver, at running back. So it's a new look LSU team, whatever the case is, if Joe Burrow starts or not. But I think it seems like a good move for all. There's a lot of hype around his name. I'm not it's good positive why goodbye association. Yeah, we talked about this a couple of weeks ago. Hey he went to Ohio State. Mm hmm ls.
Speaker 1: You could definitely use a shot in the arm in the quarterback department. It's been lacking for a while.
Speaker 2: What's sort of interesting at the same time is grad transfer quarterbacks. People are going to just immediately point to Russell Wilson, who was good, I wouldn't say excellent at NC State, but maybe that was the system that he was in with Tom O'Brien. But he obviously had an enormous, enormous year leading Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl and I think was the most efficient quarterback in the country. Vernon Adams moving up a level was obviously very successful for Oregon, but by and large, grad transfer quarterbacks after spending three or four years at a school and then jumping to a new place. It is not a situation littered with successes.
Speaker 1: Do not besmirch the name of malikue Zaire Dan exactly, ty exactly.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting. I mean Max Brown not not exactly world theater at pitt So, I you know what, listen, hoping for the best for everybody involved, but yeah, it's not an automatic thing. And then now people are saying Jalen Hurts might take another year, hopefully graduate early, and then leave if he doesn't get this job. And there was a story about did you see the Tuas story? Yeah, came out if he didn't play in the National Championship. And you know, when he arrived at Alabama, there was some some growing pains. And he's from Hawaii, He's going to Tuscaloose, Alabama. I know his family moved to Alabama. But it's it's tough, man.
Speaker 1: A lot of hot takes out there, Dan, a lot of hot takes.
Speaker 2: The only thing I will say, and I tweeted this out, is that I hope on some level, because I have no problem with quarterbacks committing somewhere and then realizing that the situation isn't great and doing whatever they can to better their own situation, hopefully of their future, and going somewhere else, I hope that maybe there's more time and maybe they speak to more people in trying to find the best possible fit instead of just the best possible name.
Speaker 1: Well, we talked, We talked on our Howe Recruiting Work show about that. Right, that was one of the key tenants. Budd talked about that. Yeah, Bud talked about it. Lindsay Theory talked about it. Weah McQuay talked about it. There really is this romanticism involved with going to the biggest school out there, and for many kids it may not be the best selection. You got to pick the school that's right for you. You got to pick the system that's right for you. We talked a little bit to Todd Boyd about that very topic. He didn't want. He was very very set on the kind of system he wanted to play in. That helped guide his recruitment. Now changed. It changed once you got on campus. But the point is he at least had a sense of self. He knew where he wanted to go and thought he might be able to apply his skills in a certain way. I don't know if that always goes on. I think some kids really get taken by the process, and that could be part of why we're seeing so many transfers as of late. I don't know, but to your point, yeah, I think a little bit of due diligence up front to help counsel these kids in proper direction might be best for all parties involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still remember I think Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger were in the same class yep at Georgia.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: And that's fine. And like I understand the will to compete and the belief in yourself that nobody is better than you. But you also, you know, you have to look at certain realities. I want to say at this point, Washington has four blue chip quarterbacks, great problem to have. Don't blame Washington for taking that many. I think Texas may have four blue chip quarterbacks on its roster right now. They obviously Sam Ellinger and Shane Bochelle. Then a couple of freshmen incoming. But it's interesting to me that there isn't a little bit more of a pragmatic attitude about you know what, there's a senior there, there's a good quarterback coach there. You know, maybe instead of going to USC, I go to Cal. Maybe instead of going to Texas, I go to Kansas State. There that they're you know, if if Kansas State is a place you want to go, if Cal is a place you want to go, I'd be interested to know if guys are going to be a little bit more careful about.
Speaker 1: The situations they put themselves in. Don't be Nate Montana. Don't be Nate Montana. Don't be Nate Montana. For transfers, I think, if memory serves, that was at the final he started at Notre Dame. Then he went to a small school. Then I think he went back to Notre Dame, and then he actually did go to Montana, and then he went somewhere else. Uh, West Virginia Wesleyan.
Speaker 2: Is that where he ended up.
Speaker 1: I think that's where he ended up. Don't do that, Okay, don't you want to go to a question. Let's go to a question where should we start all right.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's go to I like this quotquestion just because we are probably not going to address it in nearly the detail.
Speaker 1: Paul rache Reich.
Speaker 2: Once probably anticipates what is the upside downside of Stephen or Stevie? He calls it Monteze. I like that, Stevie Montes.
Speaker 1: I am rolling back that all year long.
Speaker 2: The cornerback of Colorado. Is he capable of being a top four or five quarterback in the PAC twelve.
Speaker 1: So the qualifier here is in the PAC twelve. In the PAC twelve, a top four or five quarterback in the PAC twelve. Let's talk about the quarterbacks in the PAC twelve. Let's all right. So we've obviously got your boy Justin Herbert up.
Speaker 2: Okay, So in order, who would you say is the best returning quarterback in the PAC twelve right now? I think it's obvious it's a Jake Browning.
Speaker 1: An it's Jake Browning. Yeah, it is Jake Browning. But we've also got Justin Herbert up there in the north. The Stanford quarterback situation's up at either Kaja Costello mm hmm. So that's three right there.
Speaker 2: I'd say Manny Wilkins is Anny Wilkins ahead is interesting. It's still in Tempe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Arizona quarterback situations intriguing to me.
Speaker 2: Khalil Tate, I think is probably ahead of Justin. Herbert's probably the second best right now, the best quarterback in terms of the Heisman potential because of his all around ability. So if there's a one A, one B situation with Tate, Browning, Herbert, Wilkins, Costello, the problem with Stevie Montes.
Speaker 1: Definitely going to be Stevie all year.
Speaker 2: I would have expected him to have a better year last year if he were capable of being up top four or five, because of what he had in the backfield with Philip Lindsay, the receivers that returned last year. Obviously, the defense took some hits with the loss of a number of big players from that twenty sixteen squad, but I would have expected more given what he had around him last year. So I will probably say also depending on what happens at UCLA with Chip Kelly and Wilton Spade or whoever ends up playing the majority of the year under center for the Bruins with JT. Daniels or you know, Jack Sears, whoever starts for USC. It's it's going for him to be tough to crack that top half of the conference.
Speaker 1: Is he in front of Ross Bowers in the Bower Hour? Yes, he is in front of the Bower Hour. Then you know, obviously a tragic and unknown situation at Washington States with you know, Luke Fox moving on to the NFL and the tragedy of Tyler Helenski and their uncertainty. I know they've got a freshman coming in that they're pretty high on it. I think his name is Camon, not Cameron, right, I think it's Cammon, Camon. I think it's Cammon.
Speaker 2: He is ahead of the Bower Hour. And then Utah situation, the Tyler Huntley started out really nicely, and I know they've got a pretty promising true freshman coming in who stuck with Utah blue chip kid, but that's nothing I can really count on at the moment.
Speaker 1: So I think I put Huntley in front of in front of Stevie, in.
Speaker 2: Front of Stevie Montes. Yeah, ah, he got kind of sloppy with the ball light, but that's fine. So yeah, I'd say top six seven somewhere in there.
Speaker 1: Stevie Montes, I love you Paul.
Speaker 2: That's Stevie Montes. We got another question about I think divisional quarterbacks this time. Oh, this is from Matt. I put this in today. We got the question today, when was the last time the SEC's quarterbacks were this good? I actually first read this as SEC East quarterbacks, which I had an answer for. But when was the last time the SEC's quarterbacks? And the quarterback situation? I mean there's across the conference. I'd say it's pretty good. Jared's did Amuel?
Speaker 1: So what do we got? We got Tua at Alabama presumed Tua or Hurtz. Yeah, Drew Locke at Missouri. I saw there was another question about Drew Locke for Heisman? Is that could that be a thing? I guess, I mean it's may Why not Jared Stidham had I thought a pretty good campaign last year. Nick Fitzgerald at Mississippi State, who for me is the sleeper given their coaching turnover and what could go on down there? Jake from at Georgia, where do we go next? I get like Jake Bentley or Jordan Tamo at Ole miss Or intriguing.
Speaker 2: I mean those are totally Yeah. I like both of those players. I like Tambo maybe a little bit more.
Speaker 1: We got a bunch of names here that I think Cole Kelly is like six foot nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we've managed to hit all of the good quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's a not a big Kyle Shermer guy. It's a much improved situation, is the answer to this question. And it's been a while since I thought we could go at least halfway through the conference feeling as confident as we do at the quarterpot.
Speaker 2: I would say it's probably twenty thirteen. With the collection of guys who were strong, I would say strong in the SEC. So that's doctor Bow yep, Johnny Manziel, right, I had to start with doctor Bow. Johnny Manziel had a ridiculous year the year before, Aaron Murray was a senior. In twenty thirteen, Aj mcchaeron was a senior. Zach Mettenberger was really good for LSU. Connor Shaw had a fantastic year. I think he had. I'm looking at the numbers in front, so I don't have to say I think eighteen touchdowns to one pick was efficient doing it. Nick Marshall not a huge thrower, but maybe underrated thrower for Auburn as they won the SEC. And then yeah, the duo casual address James Franklin and baby Matty Mock when he was still good.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they combined twenty twenty or twenty touchdowns to four picks. That was a good year.
Speaker 1: Did you say it that? The Baby Matty Mock when he was still good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a freshman and he was still good because he did not go in n upward trajection.
Speaker 1: On the way we expected.
Speaker 2: Did it? No, it did not. And then you also had an underwhelming deck and an underwhelming Josh Dobbs. So even the guys who were underwhelming, and Brandon Allen didn't have a particularly good year that year. So even those three guys who were underwhelming were still throwing a ton of passes in the SEC. I think twenty thirteen is the time.
Speaker 1: Arkansas built their whole offense around Brandon Allen. Like hell yeah later, so great, Okay, good question.
Speaker 2: I think that's the answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where are we going next?
Speaker 2: Let's go to Oh some guy asked us about ties. We'll get to the non football questions questions, how do you feel about Virginia Tech and Notre Dame or the Virginia Tech Notre Dame game, given the similar questions starting both programs returning quarterbacks the year this year, excuse me, and the game is in October. Do you think that it will have a market impact on the course of each team's season? Well, without knowing what happens before then, sure, a little bit difficult, But I actually it's a it's a particularly interesting question because those two teams at the outset. You know, at the at the end of last year, we went into the season saying, oh, this new quarterback real intriguing. You know, Josh Jackson had a good game against West Virginia to open the season. Brandon Wimbush looked pretty strong opening up the year, and then, for whatever reason, these two quarterbacks coached by what are known to be pretty good offensive mines, got worse over the course of the season, despite also having what I think we're both really good defenses.
Speaker 1: On the other side, I feel better about Josh Jackson at quarterback. If I could trade Wimbush for Jackson, I would take that trade, and a heartbeat, really I would. I would. He at least looks comfortable throwing the football. Wimbush never did. He never got any better on the whole, though, I have fewer questions about Notre Dame than I do Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech turns a lot over on both sides of the football Notre Dames. Notre Dame's defense should be really solid. They lost their defensive coordinator, which hurts, right. I think They've got the talent to again perform at a very high level defensively, so I'm fine with where they're at as a defensive unit. I think they'll be very good. But Virginia Tech lost some headliners really at all three levels of their defense. Bud Foster will get them whipped into shape before long, but I have more questions on that side of the football because of those losses. I have questions offensively. They haven't really used their running back position that well in I don't know, five years. I'm probably mixing up my years, but it's been a while since I felt good about what they did at the running back position consistently year in and year out. So I think that that's some questions to answer on that front. They lose a pretty big piece at wide receipt I think is going to take some time to sort out, and Josh Jackson to your point was not any kind of model for consistency in his first season, so I.
Speaker 2: Have surprisingly similarly years statistically. Yeah, yeah, I think verse. I want to say this is verse, yeah, versus winning record FBS teams. Josh Jackson had a rating of one twenty one, Brandon Wimbush one nineteen. Josh Jackson seven point two yards per attempt, Brandon Wimbush six point eight. I'm still on still Randon, which had more touchdown pass.
Speaker 1: I'm still taking Josh Jackson, Josh Josh Jackson, excuse me because I had to watch Wimbush all last.
Speaker 2: Year, So you're just going more of the unknown. Yeah, at least you don't know what you're getting into.
Speaker 1: Wimbush is probably a better runner, I'll give him that, Oh definitely. But Josh Jackson is pretty mobile, and I at least know that he looks a little bit more comfortable in the pocket. I know that. So I watching the Virginia Tech football So yeah, I and look the other. The only other point I'll add here is I don't know how it affects both teams moving forward, but I know that the situational play would be to go Virginia Tech in that game. I don't know if there'll be a home dog or not.
Speaker 2: Where are they playing the game? That in Blacksburg or is it in like DC or something.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure where the game's at, but it is the week after Notre Dame is home against Stanford, and that game's.
Speaker 2: Always coo ooh, bodyblow theory tie.
Speaker 1: Exactly a week after Stanford comes to town, then Notre Dame goes on the road to somewhere. Whether it's Blacksburg or somewhere else, I don't know, but the smart money would be on Virginia Tech in that game if they're a home dog of some sort.
Speaker 2: Mike and Houston years it takes for Chad Morris to get a winning record at Arkansas. Or the number of tacos Dan eight while in Mexico City.
Speaker 1: How long were you in Mexico City.
Speaker 2: I was in Mexico City Thursday night, Friday, Saturday, most of Sunday.
Speaker 1: So you at least eight three tacos. I didn't check the Instagram feed, but you at least date three in the period of time you were there. I had many tacos. Yeah, he's saying number of years versus number of tacos. Yeah, I would I would put tacos ahead of the years. Oh, because they might have a win. It here four years, three years, it might be gone. They might have a winning record this.
Speaker 2: Year they very well met. I think their schedule is particularly impossible.
Speaker 1: It's tough. They're on the cusp this right, like seven to five. I think is is a reasonable goal for twenty eighteen. I probably had.
Speaker 2: If you're also going to include times where I was served a dish and then a side of tortillos tortillas with the option of making tacos, which I always took, I probably had no less than a dozen fifteen.
Speaker 1: Why why did you go to Mexico City, By the way, did we talk about this? Sure?
Speaker 2: I went to Mexico City because it's great. Okay, it's inexpensive to fly there and back. I played under three hundred dollars. My friend Dave had never been, obviously, camera guy Dave. It's inexpensive to stay there. The people are super nice, the weather is great. It's seven thousand feet up, so there aren't bugs, or at least they're not mosquitos in the way that there are other places when it's warmer in Mexico. The food is tremendous. The the exchange rate is great, like an uber across town is like three dollars. But I can't recommend Mexico City an off tie.
Speaker 1: Interesting and you know Spanish that I usually do you know Spanish?
Speaker 2: See of course of West though. Next question, I seriously go to Mexico City. If you haven't, you should. Let's go to Let's go to l elle hi l. This is particularly relevant because you are in the midst of moving and setting up your new studio. What's the best piece of advice you've received about running a podcast.
Speaker 1: That we've received? Yes, ooh, I've always been asked this question sort of the other way around. What's the for you to give it? Yeah, what's the best bit of advice that you would give? Would and the best bit of advice is always to buy the best microphone you can afford. That's that's the best advice you can you could.
Speaker 2: And record consistently, be dependable.
Speaker 1: The best advice that we've received about run the podcast.
Speaker 2: You're in a lot of different secret paid for podcast forums looking about bit rates, right, we know a good number of podcasters.
Speaker 1: It's kind of hard to pinpoint it because we got rolling on this train very early. We were doing this literally before podcasting was a word, So it's it's kind of tough to pinpoint one thing we've grown up with it. I think the one that I always come back to is just be authentic, you know. I think I think for the people that have met us or will meet us in the future, you will find, maybe to great dismay, that Dan and I are very similar in person than we are when we're recording the show. Sure, and I like to think that on some level that has played into the success that we've had with the verbal you know, being ourselves has really worked out for the better. So I if I had to pick something, I guess just be authentic. That usually that usually tends to come through.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember twenty eleven when we were at grant Land. Dave Jacoby was our producer, and we'd send episodes and sometimes we'd hear back, sometimes we wouldn't, just in terms of getting feedback, and I remember early on he said he laughed hysterically when we started doing Nick Foles and a Losing Effort, right, and he was like, you don't need to read stats. People can check box scores. That's fine, but like if something is like a thing to you, like, go into the brevity of the sports. So I feel like we've done a good job with that, just making fun of ridiculous things like Nick Foles and a losing effort, or how to talk to your kids about an undefeated Iowa. You know, everything that you know can be a thing. We try to make it a thing that if it makes us laugh.
Speaker 1: Also, don't buy a yetty. I don't know if it.
Speaker 2: Do not buy a blue Yetty.
Speaker 1: No, that's my advice, all right.
Speaker 2: I don't feel particularly strongly about that, but I does.
Speaker 1: I feel very strongly about that. We have sponsors here that we need to discuss, dan Oh, who do we have. I don't know if in your current situation this would be useful or not. Okay, But as you know, every business needs great people always, and everyone is in search of a better way to find them. That's where zip recruiter comes in, dan Oh. You don't want to be a business out there where you're posting your job online. You're praying that the right people see it. Zip Recruiter has built a platform that finds the right job candidates for you. They identify people with the right experience. It invites them to apply to your job. Dan. So theoretically, if you were looking for work, if you post a resume, you might receive an invitation. Hey, apply for this great job. That's what zip recruiter does, Dan. Their invitations have revolutionized how businesses can find their next hire. Eighty percent employers who post a job on ZipRecruiter will get a quality candidate through their site in just one day. The even spotlight the strongest applications you receive, so you never miss a great match. The right candidates are out there. ZipRecruiter promises to help you find them. Businesses of all shapes and size use ZipRecruiter for their hiring needs. Our listeners can try it for free. Try it for free just go to ZipRecruiter dot com slash solid. That's ZipRecruiter dot com slash solid, ZipRecruiter dot com slash solid. It is absolutely the smartest way to hire. Also brought to you tonight by our new friends over at light Stream like shream Dan, tell me more. When do you want to start paying less interest on your credit card debt immediately? Yeah? How about now? Damn it? Get a credit card consolidation loan from light Stream the reward customers who have good credit with a great interest rate no fees. You hear that, no listen, then get a credit card consolidation loan from five point four to nine APR. With auto pay, you can save thousands of dollars in interest. Application is one hundred percent online. You can even get all your funds as soon as today and get this, our listeners are going to get an additional interest rate discount on top of light Streams already low rates. The only way to get this discount is go to lightstream dot com slash Solid so l I d Okay, light Stream l I g h T S t R e a M, Lightstream dot Com slash Solid course. As with all things financial, subject to credit approval, The rate includes one point five percent autopay discount, available only when you select autopay prior to loan. The funding terms and conditions apply, offers us to change without notice. Visit lightstream dot com for all the important information about limits on their loans and same day funding. You know the drill, but it's a pretty good deal. You get a at a discount by using our offer code Whitstream dot com slash Solid Do it Where are we going next.
Speaker 2: Gary wants us to deep dive Navy football. Okay, Hi, I'm gonna give you the platform. You said you had a long, extended, detailed monologue.
Speaker 1: Can I may make a mission on the program?
Speaker 2: You may?
Speaker 1: How big is the show that we do? You don't have to give numbers, but we're relatively big podcast, right sure. For whatever reason, over the course of the last decade, we've gained a certain amount of credibility talking about college football. People actually listen. They they they sometimes say we have expert opinions, right, Uh huh. I still cannot say the name of the Navy head football coach, can you monololoone? I cannot say that word Neil. We've been doing this since two thousand and eight. I cannot say that that.
Speaker 2: Word Neo Nieu mata mata lolo lolo Neo matalolo.
Speaker 1: Neiu matalolo. That was pretty good, I can. I can do it phonetically like that, but you can't do a conversation now. Well, we're going through the rigors of the show that we do. I will not get Nia matalolo correct when I have to think about it quickly. I've never been able to say it.
Speaker 2: On the big stage during the season. If Navy blows out UCF or something in a crazy upset, you will not be able to say credit to Kenya Montolo. No now prepared, he got the middies.
Speaker 1: We're show about honesty here. I've always had trouble with that word. I've also had trouble with words such as globe tomatoes, which is neither here nor there. Sure I had to issues with words, but yeah, that's a pretty big one for me.
Speaker 2: So Navy season last year was super weird. They started five and oh they lose six to seven. They blow Virginia out in their bowl game. They lost a bunch of close games, which is fairly unusual usually a team like Navy, or specifically Navy, you know, as we've seen them, especially against better teams a couple of years ago against Houston edging them out in an upset in Annapolis. Navy doesn't generally lose close games, and they ended up losing a bunch of close games last year. Butt Tye, so he's a butt. They have Malcolm Perry. Malcolm Perry is real good. He played like a versatile role last year. You know, slot back running backs took some under center he's like the no brainer quarterback coming in this year. The defense improved last year, should be fine this year. They've got some pretty decent teams on the schedule once again in the in the American but they should be like they have Notre Dame and they're due to beat Notre Dame. That's just how it works. Ye, when you watch Navy football, they're due. I don't remember where they're playing that game this year, but it's probably not Annapolis. They have Army in Philly coming off that weird snow game last year. U SEF with a new coach they have I don't think South Florida's on their regular season schedule. But outside of that, Houston is a good defense. That's a defense that can hang with them. And outside of that, Cincinnati should be improved. Lehigh is always dangerous tie you know that. I know that you can get into that game for nineteen dollars right now. Temple should be improved, but this should be a comfortable Bowl team in twenty eighteen given the talent that they especially return at quarterback.
Speaker 1: All Right, I'm gonna go with they.
Speaker 2: Need to complete more passes. They were really kind of garbage through the air. Last year, and.
Speaker 1: Let me credit ken Neo Matalolo. Boom Neo Motalolo. It's too easy for the model of consistency that he is implemented at Navy football. You know, it might not be the kind of program gonna go like ten wins every year, but they are way more consistent now than I think a lot of people expect it when he took that job over. He's done a tremendous job.
Speaker 2: An I am genuinely bough. We have not seen him at a bigger place. That Oregon State didn't hire him, that Arizona didn't hire him, buckling to alleged buckling to pressure from some of the players the didn't want to play in that system or a system or any system that ken Neio Modolola may have been coaching because of his background with the sort of flexbone triple option. I think that was short sighted. I think he could succeed, excuse me, on a huge, huge level. I really am rooting for him to get that opportunity somewhere.
Speaker 1: All right, where are we going next? Let's go to also Gary. Let's stick with you so many Gary's here.
Speaker 2: He's getting married in a few weeks. Suit is all figured out, except he's undecided on a tie bar versus no tie bars. You wear a tie bar?
Speaker 1: A tie bar? I did not know?
Speaker 2: Okay, neither did I.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: At your wedding, I've been told they're out of fashion, but then I still see them here and there. He's wearing a three piece suit. Should he be wearing a tie bar? The answer is a clear no.
Speaker 1: I think we're team no tie bar.
Speaker 2: I'm okay with a tie bar ordinarily. But if you have the vest on which keeps your tie, you know, secure to your person tucked in, it's it's redundant.
Speaker 1: You don't need the tie bar. Go go clean with it. Yep, next question, tie We.
Speaker 2: Got some really good ones here, because this is still a spillover from last last time we did these.
Speaker 1: Oh, you want me to pick a question out?
Speaker 2: I want you to pick a question. Oh, okay, let's.
Speaker 1: Say buh buh. This one from Zach A very easy one. In your wheelhouse? What is the worst tailgate food?
Speaker 2: Anything that's not handheld? Okay, I do not want to hold a plate and utensils, because then I have to find a place to put down my drink. I want to be able to pick up burger, chicken, fingers, ribs, whatever, without having to worry about a plate and silverware and putting my drink down and then losing my beer or losing my water or losing you know, my bourbon. Whatever has to be handheld. Give me a breakfast brito, give me a burger, give me a dog, give me a you know, a brisket sandwich. Whatever it is has to be handheld.
Speaker 1: Has to you disagree, not entirely, not entirely, Okay, what.
Speaker 2: Is the worst? No, I think that really isn't a specific thing. That's when the only.
Speaker 1: Qualifier I would add is that a side, you know, like a good potato salad or macaroni salad, some other side dish would be an exception where I think it's okay as a complimentary addition to the tailgating meal. But the meal depends.
Speaker 2: It depends what your tailgate is actually like, how much seating is available. But when I think about tailgate, I think about, you know, a spread of food being put on a lot long card table or something like that. Everybody grabs something and you know, is wandering around with a beer and talking to people and watching games on a giant screen on the side of somebody else's SUV or whatever the RV. Yeah, anything. I don't want fish at a tailgate. I just don't. I don't want.
Speaker 1: The worst tailgate food that I've come across.
Speaker 2: I can tell you the best tailgate food I've come across was a steak sandwich in Nebraska. The worst one. Yeah, we've had specific.
Speaker 1: We've had this question before, and we had a tremendous answer, but I forget what it was. It was like three years ago. Okay, I forget what it was. On the same lines here, let's go to our friend Peter, who asks a remarkable question. I would have thought for sure that we had we would have addressed it by now ten years into this podcast. But what is your favorite grocery store smell? Oh smell? My answer is the bakery. The bakery. He pausits a couple theories here. He says his top five are the cheese section, the deli counter, the coffee aisle, food court, and he spikes out Chinese food in particular, and the dog food asle smell is very specific and he happens to love it now. I would counter that a little bit. The cheese section sometimes, yes, does have a spell. I don't know about the deli counter. The deli counter, to me, at least at Wegman's, where they keep things nice and tidy, does not always have a smell. And I'm surprised here quite frankly, Cristmas a coolness. I'm a little offended he didn't go bakery. The bakery isle has to be like Alabama in this question.
Speaker 2: I disagree. I think the prepared food, especially if there's a fried chicken element, the fried chicken scent odor overwhelms the case, and that can smell enticing.
Speaker 1: The only answer here is the bakery, because the bakery includes not only the fresh breads. Not everyone's lucky enough to have a fine institution like Wegman's nearby. I understand that in that category, that's so, it's through no fault of your own, really, right, But where they've got fresh baked breads, they've got fresh desserts, they've got all of those fine smells permeating the air that you breathe. The only answer here is the is a bakery?
Speaker 2: Is there a pizza oven?
Speaker 1: There's all there is a pizza oven? Are is it an.
Speaker 2: Open pizza oven?
Speaker 1: Uh? Like?
Speaker 2: Are they bringing pizzas in? And out of like a wood burning oven.
Speaker 1: They are, it's not always open, and there's like a I think there's like a lid or a cover to it. Sure can't use my a door whatever the word ish, But no, it's bakery. The only answer here is bakery.
Speaker 2: Well, in a way, a pizza oven is a bakery, right, yeah, I would. I actually am going to change my answer from prepared foods too. If you go to a nicer supermarket, your your Whole Foods, your Weagman's, your Gelson's, and and there is that open wood burning pizza oven. I think that's my answer.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I sort of changed your mind for the first time in the history of the podcast.
Speaker 2: In the history of the show. This comes to us from Dennis. Since it's the off season, he's been watching a lot. I think this is no Dennis asked another question. We'll get to Dennis in a moment. I don't have who asked this question, but it's a great question. Since it's the off season, I've been watching a lot of classic games. What is the best quarter a team has played against a top five team in the last twenty years? And you can think about Notre Dame games. If you want because that's going to be the most emotionally relevant to you. In my opinion, it's between between two different options. The two thousand and eight Oklahoma against Texas Tech game when they outscore Tech thirty five to seven. I believe that would have been a Sam Bradford team or Alabama versus Auburn in two thousand and nine when Alabama outscored Auburn twenty one to nothing and didn't let Cam and Auburn gain a first down. I think that was the twenty ten season. I'm almost positive it was there for a year, and that year was twenty ten. That was the camback game. Okay, do you have them? I have I have an answer for Oregon against the top five team because I was there and I remember the glee that I felt.
Speaker 1: He's saying the last twenty years, the last twenty years. That's going a little too deep into the's till like ninety eight, a little too deep in the database for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, so in the last few years minus minus four years ago.
Speaker 1: Last few years. I don't know if it was the first or second quarter, but let's just say the whole first half of I want to say the twenty sixteen. Okay, Notre Dame Texas game with Maleague's air twenty fifteen. I guess it was twenty fifteen, the opening Stanza to that Notre Dame Texas game where Maleague's air just went off and everyone kind of instantly dubbed him a Heisman front runner. In that opening game against Texas, remember, no one, no one knew what to expect. People thought Texas might be good Texas right, not good that year. No, that opening first half for me was just mind blowing how good Notity looked and how good Movia Air looked.
Speaker 2: Sure, I think my answer is so for Oregon. As relates to the Ducks the twenty fourteen Rose Bowl against Florida State. That third quarter they outscored them twenty seven to seven. Florida State. It was eighteen thirteen at half time, and it was completely out of hand by the fourth quarter. And that culminated with that, like Jameis Winston slip on a banana peel rko Tony Washington scooping up the fumble and running it in from like sixty yards. That to me was because Florida State at that point, I think was the number three team in the country. That is my personal answer. I'll go with the big twelveth theme. I'm trying to remember if this was twenty fifteen or twenty sixteen. It was I'm looking at the schedule right now, Yeah, it was twenty fifteen. The I want to say it was the opening quarter of TCU Texas. This was not against a top five Texas team, mind you. It was against a one in three or one in four Texas team. But in terms of like the blowout ability of a game, I think TCU went up thirty one nothing or thirty to nothing in the first quarter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was kind of magical. That was a Trevon Boycan team. That was a fun, fun horn Frogs team. All right, So that's my non top five answer.
Speaker 1: I have I have a question at the end of this show that I that I really do need real world advice on. I don't want to okay the waters here, let's do Let's do like two more non football ones here before we get in quickly, Yeah, quickly.
Speaker 2: Dennis wants to know the best pop punk albums for a half hour on the treadmill. I'm gonna say no bummers, so we can't go too deeply Emo right, because we need that energy level high. We don't need you thinking about past loves, past wrongdoings. I would say, take this to your grave is a great answer.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good Fallout Boys, fall.
Speaker 2: Out Boys original or at least their first big release. That is, it's high energy, it's it's mostly positive sounding. I don't know remember all of the lyrics, but it moves quickly. It'll get you to the place you need to be. I would make something on Spotify. I wouldn't say you need a specific band's album like I would put Fat Lip on there by some forty one if I needed a half hour treadmill mix full of pop punk. There's there's a lot of options I would pull, you know, I'd pull some Yellow Card into there. I'd pull some Newfound Glory.
Speaker 1: Hey, are we going to do a show with Bill Barnwell this summer? Are is that gonna do late July? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, we're gonna do an off topic show with Bill again. Of course, I'm very excited for that show. We've we've kind of got a thing going with him now, these late July shows. Sure. So we've done EMO and we've done nineties video games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, what other now starting line could be a little bit bummery I'm trying to think of Uh could go reliance that but royan little preachy, lill preachy, but it do get a little preachy usually.
Speaker 1: Positive sunny with the high seventy five. Yeah, MxPx is pretty good for that.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna go a little bit older. Damn, that's a good question. You know who's a good band for this? Cartel is a really good cartell rely pop punk band. I think that's always underrated. Yeah, they had a good EP and then they released an album right out. I think that's the move it honestly yes that whatever album has honestly yeah, or say anything else whatever that's I think that's a good option as well.
Speaker 1: All Right, one more non football and then I have a real question. I promise these are all real tie Yeah, no, mine is real though. This is a real role question where I need help.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's so, we've got a good one from Kelly. We've got you want non football?
Speaker 1: Right, non football? Give me non football?
Speaker 2: Uh, let's scroll down.
Speaker 1: Here's one. Here's one I got.
Speaker 2: You want to go Collin from Omaha, I want.
Speaker 1: To go Nicholas okay, right underneath it. We can get the colin quick too, we can get the Okay, Nicholas says, I just spent over one thousand dollars on five pairs of jeans. Uh huh, Am I a dumb ass or a guy who appreciates quality clothing that fits right? How many? How many pairs of jeans are in your closet at the moment that you wear in my closet, in my rotation, in your rotation? How many different pairs of gens do you own right now?
Speaker 2: So just the denim material, different colors, I will rotate two and a half.
Speaker 1: I believe I may own three total pairs of jeans.
Speaker 2: Over the last couple of years, I've gotten much more with with Chino's.
Speaker 1: Okay, I own three pairs of jeans at the moment. Okay, so I'm five. Five might be more than I'm now. Well, you don't know what Nicholas. We don't know what Nicholas does. Maybe he's a cowboy. True cowboys gets there, They get their jeans dirty time cowboys drop two hundred to pop though on jeans.
Speaker 2: Super wealthy cowboys, Troy Aikman. Probably because the real cowboys, the real cowboys. I would say that's probably excessive. But if you have the money to spend, and you like, by any like any shadow of a doubt, that these jeans fit your probably and possibly strange body better than any other pairs of jeans right, and they're comfortable, have the cash right, and they make you look good, I say that's fine.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not judging if you want to spend your hard earned cash on five pairs of jeans, but.
Speaker 2: You could probably buy one hundred dollars pair of jeans and spend twenty dollars getting them tailored perfectly, and you'll save a good amount of cash. That's my guess. I generally spend about fifty bucks on jeans.
Speaker 1: I usually go about fifty bucks. Yeah, yeah, fifty bucks here.
Speaker 2: That's my answer.
Speaker 1: You're not a dumb ass, and you clearly are guy who appreciates quality clothing that fits.
Speaker 2: Go gators is what he says.
Speaker 1: Go Gatersgators.
Speaker 2: So not a cowboy.
Speaker 1: Now what was this from Colin? We'll go to.
Speaker 2: Colin quickly wants to know a long time first time. He's from Omaha, underrated city. I like Omaha. Yeah, I'm the best man in a wedding this summer. We met in near Omaha for the first time. I'm a best man in a wedding this summer and was curious if you had some advice or strategies for being strategies for being the best man. Also, what is a great joke to start the speech off with? See to the speech?
Speaker 1: Have you been a best man? I have. I'm not big on the whole joke thing. I'm not big on I'm not big on the whole joke thing in the best man's speech. I think you aim for center cut here. Don't get over aggressive, don't get too cute. The best bit of advice I ever got on giving a best man's speech was to compliment the bride early and be honest, it's not about you.
Speaker 2: I think I gave you that advice. Did you compliment the bride early?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I feel like I read that on those like self help posts.
Speaker 2: Oh it might be both, but yes, that is one hundred percent of the move and I did at my own wedding. I complimented the bride.
Speaker 1: And how compliment the bride early win over the crowd. That's the best bit of advice. And don't get too cute. Trying to come up with the best joke. Just be honest, be it, tug on some heartstrings if you have to. What you don't want to do is be the guy who tells the joke and it bombs. It's very hard to be funny. Very few of our emailers are dead on comedians exactly, so I would veer away from telling a joke altogether. Compliment the bride early, be honest, tug on some heart strings, and you'll be fine.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, after complimenting the bride, make sure you're as drunk as possible, like push past what you feel like is an appropriate level of drunkness.
Speaker 1: I was at a wedding once, Dan, I'm not kidding. The best man gave a speech that was eighteen minutes long.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. Do not do that, Colin, Please give yourself. I wouldn't go over three minutes, honestly, because being brief, being specific, being complimentary, you know, being able to edit. You don't need to tell three stories, tell one great story. You don't need to go on and on. You don't need to sort of make inside jokes. Inside jokes the worst thing to listen to. You're not giving this speech for the groom. You're not giving the speech for you. You're giving the speech for an audience. So get up there, compliment the bride, and whatever you talk about, make sure it's about the two of them.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, Mick.
Speaker 2: Don't say like, oh, when we went to Cabo bra you remember the golf cart? No, yeah, you remember. That's awful to listen to. Think about your audience, So compliment the bride. Get up there and talk about why they're great for each other. Illustrate that with a story. If you really want to get a joke off, there's like the tried and true. You know, Brent and Lisa are getting married, and let me tell you something. Brent has amazing tastes. Just look at Lisa. Clap clap, clap, clap, and you know what else, Brent, you could not have had better taste in selecting a best man. And then something like that. Yeah yeah, then just like get past it the cheap way, make it under three minutes, tell everybody why they're great for each other, and while you love your buddy and you love his new wife, and then thanks everybody, see you on the dance floor.
Speaker 1: The other strategy, The other advice that I would give you, Colin. Let's just say, for hypothetical purposes here that your wedding, the wedding that you'll be speaking at as one hundred people. I don't know, one hundred people. Keep it nice and round. Of those hundred people, Dan, what percentage do you feel really care about what you're saying as the best man?
Speaker 2: I think it is over fifty percent. Yeah, I think it's over fifty percent, but I think it goes down every thirty seconds exactly.
Speaker 1: So my point is, don't if you're the type that gets nervous in front of a group, but a lot of people do, and that's totally normal. Don't don't put too much weight on how you think other people are going to feel about the speech, like it really does go down into hurry, keep it short, don't worry about, you know, being too heart stringy or anything like that. Like, just get it over with You'll be fine. Most of the people there are more interested about when they can go to the open bar.
Speaker 2: This is true. And it never hurts to do a callback during your toast. If you make some comment about Brent how he met Lisa because she was, you know, her grocery bag broke and Brent stopped to talk to her or whatever, and that's how they met. And they met in a cute way. When it comes back to the toast, and everybody raised a glass and you toast their love and then to Lisa getting stronger grocery back. You know, that's always good.
Speaker 1: That's always don't love that just basically don't be Rachel McAdams and wedding crashers that. So, look, I have a question that I need to have answered.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: I have to sell two couches in the next eight days or else, or else I probably have to pay to have them removed. Okay, because my old house that that least that agreement is coming due at the end of the month. H I have two couches that I must sell. Why by the end of the month, because we don't want them in the new house here. They're they're sort of old, they're showing a little bit aware, still in relatively good shape. But we would rather sell them than either A have to pay to have them removed or b move them on our own in any capacity. Because one of them is a sleeper sofa and it is heavy as freaking hell. Ask you.
Speaker 2: Is one or both of them are one or both of them couches that pre date your relationship.
Speaker 1: Yes, is one of them or both of them yours? No? Okay, no, neither is mine. They're they're both. Yeah, they were solid, solid wife Kate brought these over. They were holdovers from her old apartment. Did you so your current couch is something that you bought together? Yes, okay, And so you definitely don't need more couches in your house. No, we don't. I I have we have no place to put these. And I'm really struggling with trying to sell it because it's an older model, older model couch, and I've tried posting it on various boards. I tried Craigslist. Someone tried to scan me. That didn't work.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think I'm going to sell it on there, So I'm I'm I'm deliberating between actually having to call the one eight hundred god junk people and paying to have it removed, or find some way that I can go all West Virginia on it, and just said on I.
Speaker 2: Would say Pennsylvania's next to West Virginia if my geography is correct, right.
Speaker 1: I know some people have gone the round of just ordering the state leaving it along the interstate. I don't think I want to go that route. It won't that's a college tactic. Yeah, So I'm really at a loss here, Dan, I could use some real advice here. What do I do?
Speaker 2: So when Jody and Jody with and I and I moved a couple months ago, I had a holdover couch from both of my apartments that predated our last one, affectionately called brown Beauty, very soft, excellent. Lot of memories on that couch.
Speaker 1: Tie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know where this is going, sure, but it was. And then we got a new couch at our last place, and Brown Beauty was in like the side room that I had, and at a certain point it was time to get rid of Brown Beauty. But we lived in an apartment complex, and the super we said, if you can take it, you can have it, because we didn't want to deal with trying to sell it and deliver it or whatever. So that's what we did with our couch. He just took it. He had a dolly and brought it out. So I assume there's nobody like that at your old place. I'm not really hmmm, Yeah, I would just offer it up for free. I'm getting to that point, Dan, Yeah, you just have to offer it. You got to get it off your hands.
Speaker 1: This is causing me undue stress more stress, can be more stressed than branded wimbush, Dan, getting rid of these damn couches.
Speaker 2: Damn, I'm sorry. Well, color, it's like an off welight, an off white sleeper. You've got a lot of old people in your neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Come on, not that many that you can get rid of that?
Speaker 2: Sure, Yeah, you just have to. I don't know what. Like Facebook? Have you tried Facebook?
Speaker 1: I haven't just put up free couch.
Speaker 2: If you can pick it up, it's yours, I guess, and somebody will tag some weird friend of theirs, probably named Brendan, right, and Brendan will pick it up and he'll be weird, but you'll deal with it and you'll forget about them.
Speaker 1: If anybody is in the area and wants a couch, just let me know, give me a holler at T and you.
Speaker 2: Can meet Tie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can meet me, and probably not Kate. I'll autograph it. Yeah, Kate will not be there.
Speaker 2: As part of the transaction. Kate will not be there.
Speaker 1: Kate will not be there. Okay.
Speaker 2: So if you are in Eastern PA and you want a free couch and you want to meet Tye, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Say free, you said free. I'd still like to try and get a couple bones for this thing.
Speaker 2: If you want to bring Tie a sandwich and you want a couch, Tie hilden Brandts are just solidverbal at gmail dot com, right sure, or it's Tie hilden Brandt on Twitter or whatever.
Speaker 1: I am desperate. This is a game used solid verbal. Couch Ty will let you run your hands through his hair in like a non creepy way, but like you can experience it, and you get a couch. Like if I put your words verbatim on Craigslist, Yeah you know, you get a couch and you could run your hands through my hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah you get responses would be.
Speaker 1: More successful than the scam message that I got this morning?
Speaker 2: What is the scam message?
Speaker 1: Will you take a cashier's check? How much you're trying to sell an off white sleep used sleeper. There's two of them. It's a it's a set like a queen size sleeper sofa and a love seat.
Speaker 2: How much you're trying to get for a used couch set?
Speaker 1: I start like four hundred or best off. Come on, I don't know we paid? She paid?
Speaker 2: Your mind?
Speaker 1: Well, what what's in approch? Maybe it's the dollar figure you have eight days tie? I know, well the price comes down every thirty seconds, But I know what? What what is a proper asking price here?
Speaker 2: I would just if you need to get rid of them and you don't care about the money, it's free if you want. If you want something that will give you at least a couple of bucks, but will seem cheap. I don't know, one hundred.
Speaker 1: Bucks, two hundred bucks, price is right? One dollar?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Just get rid of them.
Speaker 2: You don't want them, don't have no value?
Speaker 1: Really dressing me out, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 2: Move beyond the off white tie, Move beyond all.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, fun show. Thank you to everyone who wrote in a couple of weeks ago. As we address our backlog here of questions, soliverblare.
Speaker 2: We're nose to tell with our questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got a lot going on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. Can also find us on Reddit, iTunes, Spotify, Google, Stitcher, all the usual hotspots. What do we have in the housekeeping variety here? What are our housekeeping notes? Okay, do you address before we move on.
Speaker 2: So we're going to be locked in on designs for I think we're settled on shirts, hats, and mugs. We're going to be locked in on designs this Monday, which means we're going to start speaking with the store we're going to use right correct. We'll have those designs on Monday. The hats will take a little bit longer because of some embroidery, which is fine, yep. So we're hoping for early to mid June that our store will be up and ready and we'll be selling some items. I'm really excited. I think you like what's in store. We have that we have the Chicago show in mid August. We have a very good idea of what the date will be. We just do not have a confirmed place as of this requit.
Speaker 1: We had some people asking about a date, and believe me, I want to give that date. We've said time and time again, it's going to be early to mid August. You could draw your own conclusions, probably on the weekend right more conclusions that you can I think probably draw as soon as we have a date. We will let you know. Cool absolutely, let you know. We're working on venues right now. We're going to find a place before long. We're very excited about the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we have that show. We'd like to do one or two additional shows outside of Chicago, but that means more venue selecting and we just need to we need to get on it. But we have an idea of the cities we'd like to be in, most likely DC in Austin, Yes, I think so, maybe New York again, I don't know. New York is very easy for us that has.
Speaker 1: Anyone out there ever planned a live tour for either a low level rock band or maybe another podcast, look us upsolivermail dot com. That would be very helpful in our.
Speaker 2: We're admitting to being I like the venues we've used in the past. I haven't loved all of them, so we are struggling with literally one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: It should be easier, So we'll get that all situated. Chicago's a done deal in terms of we are definitely doing it when we want to do it, and that's where we want to do it, and we will be doing it there. Outside of that, nothing is locked in, but we're learning. We're learning this process.
Speaker 1: That's right. Trust the process, Dan, Yes, trust.
Speaker 2: It'd be very easy to just book like a hundred seater, but we're going to places where we know we have a healthy number of listeners, so we want to make sure everybody can get in and have fun.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, on that note, thank you to everyone who canntinues to interact with the show. We will be back in a week. I guess it'll still be May when we record our next show. But as we get into June, as we get into July, and certainly as we get into August, Dan and I we promise have a lot more planned than just Q and A shows. Not that anything's wrong with Q and A shows. People love the Q and A shows. Believe me. The survey we learned about survey results bear out that people love the Q and A shows. That's cool, We're cool with them. But we've got big, grand plans for the weeks and months ahead. Keep it locked in on the Facebook, on the Twitter, on the Instagram accounts. We've got a lot of fun stuff that is certainly on the way. Daniel, you enjoy the rest of your weekend and weekend. Okay, hey, thanks you too for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubenstein. For myself, Ty Hildebrand. We will catch you all in a week. In the meantime, stay solid pace,