Speaker 1: Do you surf? Have we talked about this? Do we talk about this during johnny Tsunami? We no?
Speaker 2: I think we mainly talked about snowboarding because he didn't he really really didn't see a lot of surfing in Johnny'sunami, And we.
Speaker 1: Haven't seen back on the board yet, which is probably, Oh, we've.
Speaker 2: Got to it's coming to summertime. We got to put that on the list. So my parents had like a timeshare in Hawaii, So that was our summer trip that we did for a lot of years. And so I would do a lot of surfing there and I was, you know, being in southern California. I actually had a friend who's I didn't have a ton but I had one friend, Crystal, whose dad was a surfer like right, like Lloyd was a big surfer guy. And her brother also I mean total just like you know, Rip Curl felt like the family was sponsored by them type of thing like okay, and they would surf all I'd get to go out with her and learn a lot from her dad and her brother who was so cute and I had a giant crush on Oh yeah, he would that That was my type in that in that day like that surfer, like sandy haired, crazy tan, you know. And then I remember it being so cool because he actually moved out after high school to Hawaii and he lived in a treehouse. He lived in a treehouse and was he animated?
Speaker 1: Was this a real guy?
Speaker 2: So cool? No, it was my friend Crystal's big brother, like it was that living in southern California. That was like a thing, like you know, like the man I married Jordan. He was a surfer like you know, like it when I met him, Like his backboard of his bed was a big surf board. So that was know something that I loved. I did it. I can't say I never got past along board, so I was not I don't consider myself a surfer because I was not a great surfer. I didn't get to do it a ton, but I did love to get out in the water. Now you you will have to cut my right hot hand off. In the ocean. I hate the ocean. I'm so scared of sharks.
Speaker 1: And oh really, yeah, they're more scared of you than you are.
Speaker 2: Then, Oh, okay, I'm sure that's true. Really, you know a lot of sharks they've told of.
Speaker 1: Course, friends with a bunch of sharks. They're ye pretty skinnish.
Speaker 2: Now now the ocean and the beach it's sandy. It's I mean, even wango tango. I didn't go out into the actual audience. I stayed on the platform.
Speaker 1: Can't do the sand.
Speaker 2: Oh my.
Speaker 1: I've only been Hawaii once. It was in twenty nineteen. Is the first time I've ever been at first Hawaii. Okay, I tried surfing once. I stood up once. I'm basically a pro. I don't ever need to do it again. I'm sure I even have a video of it, so that's all I need.
Speaker 2: Is so fun, It's so but it's it's what people don't realize until you actually get on the board. How hard is it? Like your shoulders, your your body is scraped up from the wax and the sand and the salt water and all that. I mean, it is so much harder than what you would ever really imagine, even just getting out there. I mean, it's like stuff you to work out. You paddle, and you paddle and then you ride, especially when you're like a beginner, which I don't think I ever advanced from that state.
Speaker 1: I did, I didn't do it enough.
Speaker 2: But you ride one wave in then and you look back and you're like, I gotta go the way back.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's that's the old seinfeld joke. Seinfeldt said that surfing is just the ocean continuously kicking you out of it, like I want you in here, keep getting out.
Speaker 2: Take your ass over and over again, and for some reason you just need to get back out and try to do one more wave, and you're.
Speaker 1: Still not good one. I was great. I was a pro when you were pro. I love video. That's all I need.
Speaker 2: That's the thing about you, Will is that you just like you just master everything I do.
Speaker 1: I conquer. I do things once, I'm professional at it, and I never have to do them again. And I try to go.
Speaker 2: You'll never surf again.
Speaker 1: I don't need your good I surfed a wave. I've got it on video.
Speaker 2: You got the award, got the medal.
Speaker 1: On video, exactly. Thank you very much. On to the next as we are onto the next film. Look at that brought it right back. Welcome back to Magical, rewind the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart. The waves. Tsunamis and the High School's musical. I'm Wilford Dell.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sabrina ready to rip it up?
Speaker 1: Nice? Oh, I like it. I like it. Well, it's eating up here people, because summer's here and we're celebrating at the beach with our newest d com. It's two thousand surf family drama, rip Girls, or as we've been calling it here Julie Tsunami. Yes, I had joked about that last week when I teased up. But reality, rip Girls not a good title. We've seen this a few times now, Sabrina, Am I right here? This I didn't get it. I thought it made me think. So I'm not going to get into what we thought about the movie yet, but it made me I'm just gonna put it this way. It made me think the movie was going to be one thing and then it was something else, which always disappoints me in a way.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, of course that's incredibly disappointing. But what did it make you think it was gonna?
Speaker 1: I thought I was going to be watching a surf movie, a good ROMP surf movie, a kid Disney Channel surf movie, which this was at all.
Speaker 2: You don't think that was it?
Speaker 1: I do all God, No, surfing had almost nothing to do with this movie was about surfing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I let me be okay, let me be clear of this. I auditioned for this movie. And if you saw Sabrina and this era with my brown hair and I was always tan.
Speaker 1: But they cast that other guy to play ConA, you would have been great.
Speaker 2: I would have been great as ConA. I swear to god, ConA.
Speaker 1: You would have been great. But they cast out.
Speaker 2: So I auditioned for it. And this is one of the Channel movies that I got like I kind of got down the line, you know, close to it. Remember watching it super excited. Like I said, although I wasn't a surfer, surfer, surfing was a big part of just being in so Calend growing up. Sure loved it and I remember going there wasn't that much surfing. And this was at a time when this big surf movies came. I'm trying to think of the names of them, like the Blue Crush. Blue Crush was out. This was during that era that like especially girls surfing rocks. It was a huge brand that was like, yeah, killing it in the game. And I remember going, well, this Disney's take on it like kind of hit or miss, kind of you know, just not a great one. It was not soon Johnny.
Speaker 1: I just no, I just want I just thought it was going to be a surfing movie and it kind of wasn't a surfing movie, which again it wasn't. I didn't mind the direction it went. I just don't like if something's called Johnny and the Ghost Squad and there's no Ghost Squad, then you've mistitled your thing. You know what I mean? If I go to a Hamburger joint and they only serve spaghetti, then.
Speaker 2: It's not actually a Hamburger j and girl cheese. Yes, okay, okay. So I went into rig done, like what would this have been?
Speaker 1: I don't know, it would have been something more of you know, the Yeah Hawaii or or something with your history or something with a mom relationship. I mean, something that did Rip Girls makes it sound like, you know, if it's called BMX Bandits and there's no bmxing in it, it's misnamed. So Ripped Girls to me, I was like expecting a surfing movie. It was coming in going like, Oh, it's gonna be those great water shots, it's gonna be tons of really beautiful surfing it's going to be the good team of surfers against the bad team of surfers. There's going to be some kind of competition. There's obviously gonna be version exactly at the end, and they both got a chance for the waves and.
Speaker 2: Had a ton of snowboarding. So yes, me think it makes me think, though, what is it? Was it the difficulty of being able to try to because again, surfing is a tough sport, and maybe it was like a difficulty of trying to find young enough.
Speaker 1: I just think I was misnamed. I think this was always the movie and always the attention. They just they they and I don't again, I don't know how this was touted back in the day. I don't know how they actually promoted it. But I mean, if they promoted it as it's just shots of surfing and then you see this movie, it's disappointing. If they promoted it as a young girl going a kind of fish out of water, going to a new place and struggling internally with her family and learning about that kind of journey, then it's a great movie. But if you go and expecting a surfing movie, yeah, so yeah, again, if it's called Milton in the Parachute Gang, and there's no parachuting. It's misnamed. So anyways, Jo, by the way, don't you want to see Milton in the Parachute Game? Now, great film, We're gonna have to watch that. Yeah, ironically, no parachutes in the entire movie. It's exactly like that. This movie debut on the Disney Channel on April twenty second, two thousand, and was filmed in Queensland, Australia, Doublings, Hawaii. It is a rare international film location, but I guess it makes sense if you're looking for some beautiful beaches. But I never understand it's got to be a money thing, because I don't understand how flying everybody, the whole cast, the whole everybody to Australia is cheaper than doing it to Hawaii. But I don't know. It's obviously things in the industry that I know nothing about, tax stuff and where they can shoot, and obviously it makes a difference. But it seems like could be more expensive to go to Australia. But what do I know.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's got to be location areas something to film.
Speaker 1: And another rarity. Much like the original Zombies movie, this one did not include any previous Disney stars in the cast. They employed all unknown actors and I think they all did a pretty good job, and frankly so to our friends at Complex. On their list one that we commonly reference, Rip Girls placed number twelve on their list of the twenty five best d Coms, and we've got more here. It's number twenty nine on Entertainment Weekly's list of Top thirty and number fifty four on Collider. All impressive place, especially for a movie you don't really hear mentioned as one of the greats. And to add to that, it has never been released on VHS or DVD, which is amazing. But on the other side of the spectrum, Tim Ryan of the Honolulu Star Bulletin called it unrealistic, and we kind of have to give his opinion some weight, considering Hawaii is supposed to be location for the film and its culture plays a major part in the story. So when somebody from Hawaii goes not so much, you gotta listen. So you talked about this. You grew up in Orange County, you were around surfers, all that kind of stuff. Was your friend's older brother your kna.
Speaker 2: I mean no, because he did not talk to me.
Speaker 1: Ah, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: Was a lot older from Afar. From Afar, Yeah, he was much older. I mean okay, she was a year older than I am, and he was probably three, four or five years older. So he was like, yeah, does he still in tree house? No, he does it, I think, but he did live in Australia. Like his whole life is still like was for a long time last time I checked in, still very much around surfing his serfs and he's total life. It's a total lifetle baby surfers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, it's a total life style. One of my favorite shows ever is one hundred Foot Wave. Go check that out, yo, It's amazing. And yes, like most films we watch, Rip Girls is available to stream on Disney Plus right now, so you can watch it before listening to our recap or wait until after and see how much we got right. We're just wringing it here, so honestly, the fact that we nail any of the details is just a blessing. Let us know in the comments, although we have disabled our comments and we'll never ever see them. All right, Sabrina, did you know Rip Girls was well? Of course, we talked about this auditioned, so of course, you know, rip Girls.
Speaker 2: I very much aware of this movie and was very excited when it came out to see Like again, okay, what was you know when I auditioned? How you know, it's like you start kind of like using them as like education for yourself when you're trying to nil one of these roles? What could I have done better?
Speaker 1: You know, you gotta let us do what your audition scene was?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I remember I auditioned for the lead, and then I also did audition for Gia too. Once they once I went in, they said, also, can we would love to hear you? So I know her audition scene. I don't remember what the leads auditions.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha?
Speaker 2: Gotcha didn't spark a memory? No, I uh, when you auditioned for ConA.
Speaker 1: When I auditioned for ConA, my frosted tips apparently were too frosted. I was told mine was like frosted flakes, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: And I thought, I from here, I want to make statement. Thought she did a great job.
Speaker 1: Thought did the cat The acting was not? Again, if I knew what I was getting into a little more with the title.
Speaker 2: You would know I irritated. Was it like a little irritated.
Speaker 1: Like you just go in expecting.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 1: I just you go in expecting one thing and you end up with something else. Again, if I go to a burger joint and all they have is spaghetti, even the best plate of spaghetti is not going to change the fact that I was expecting a burger. Yes, so I was expecting Rip Girls to be exactly what I even said to Sue. I'm like, oh, man, tonight's movie. I don't know what it's going to be about, but it's surfing. There's going to be some sort of contest. There's going to be the bad team, there's going to be the good team. None of that happens. So I was like, oh, okay, I get it. But now let's paddle out into the waves. And it's actually called duck diving to go under the waves. See, I'm a professional server and we're going to get into the synopsis, thirteen year old Sidney Miller must travel to Hawaii with her father and stepmother to settle the estate of her deceased mom. By connecting with the island, learning how to surf, and making new friends, she discovers a deeper connection with her heritage and must decide between selling her mom's land or preserving it for generations to come cultivating in a giant contest at the end, where we get to see some awesome surfing between a good team and a bad team. I'm kidding. I added that last part, which would have been you wanted, Yeah, Well, we know you've been to Hawaii lot. Have you been to Australia.
Speaker 2: I haven't, and it's definitely on our list of places we want to go. I've heard such funny things about Australia.
Speaker 1: It's fun. It depends where you go. I enjoyed it. The people are super friendly. A lot of it's very pretty. But I remember distinctly being on a plane for fourteen days landing and being like I just was on a plane forever. To land back in California is kind of like what it seems like, but again it really is where. It seemed very much like we were in a city in California, super nice people. It was a lot of fun, it really was. I'm glad I went. It was a lot of fun. But I need to see more of the country, is what I.
Speaker 2: Okay, problem, one thing I did hear and know that I would never drive there because they are very crazy about their like getting a ticket in Australia is so likely if you Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it's also everything in the country wants you dead. Have you not seen these videos where it's like people have to flush their toilets because the spiders are the size of your head and there's just in your cereal bowl.
Speaker 2: And like that, like its spiders.
Speaker 1: Yeah that build their own houses and knock on your door to try to lure you out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, that is the part of it that I would I mean I have friends. There was a huge like you know, study abroad things at Chapman and Australia was like a big thing, and they came home with these like insane stories. But they were also living like in someone's like back house, like where there was like no like legitimate like walls.
Speaker 1: I'm like what, Yeah, it's everything.
Speaker 2: I travel and go to oaked El's like I'm not going into a cabin of any.
Speaker 1: Sort, especially there. It seems like, yeah, everything wants you to do. Yeah, the people are super friendly.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The movie is directed by a new name to us, a woman, yet another rare occurrence for Decom's her name is Joyce Chopra and right after college, all these stories are so cool. Chopra and her first husband opened a European style coffee shop in New York that turned into a music nightclub called Club forty seven. Everyone from Bob Dylan to Joan Bias performed there and would later get its own documentary called for the Love of a Music The.
Speaker 2: Club of forty seven.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh my godness, It's amazing, wasn't it. Joyce Chopper was a feminist filmmaker focusing on documentaries. One from nineteen seventy four was an autobiographical film about her own pregnancy and how it affected her career in movie making. The labor also put her in the record books as the first person to ever give birth on live TV. Crazy. I don't even want to know who sponsored that. She transitioned into full length narrative movies like The Lemon Sisters starring Diane Keaton and Carol Kane. She also direct TV shows like Law and Order, Crossing Jordan, and Everwood. And then Camilla Bell plays Sidney Miller, the main character of Rip Girls, part of the good team that's got to fight the bad team for note none of that happened. Camilla had the most experience on the set, having already appeared in movies like Practical Magic, where she played Inn eleven year old Sandra Bullock, The Lost World, and a Steven Sigall movie called The Patriot. Must be one of his later ones, because I've never heard of it, But being the lead character of anything was new territory for She would go on to appear in movies like two thousand and six Is When a Stranger Calls Push and ten thousand BC. Dwyer Brown plays Ben Miller. He's best known as playing Kevin Costner's dad in Field of Dreams, but he also appeared in movies like To Live and Die in La Great Chase, Scene, The Cutting Edge, Red Dragon, and cult horror classics House and House two. This time it's personal, that's right. I added that part. And this guy did a ton of TV from Er to Rozolian Isles, and his last credit was from twenty sixteen. And honestly, everyone else was a total newcomer, well except for one actor, someone who we recently interviewed for a awesome Pod Meets World episode. He's character actor legend Keone Young, who plays bo Keoni was not only on Boy Mets World, but has hundreds of TV and movie credits. If we seriously, if we started his IMDb back when we started Podmeets World, we would still be listing his credits. Just Ben and Everything, Men in Black, Three, The Crank Movies, Honeymoon in Vegas, TV shows like The Golden Girls, Websters, Cheers, plus all of the above. He is a voiceover Legendarah, if I read ten percent of what he voiced, we'd be here for three hours. But to highlight a few Gi Joe, World of Warcraft, Miss of Panderia, Star Wars, Rebels, and high high puffy Ammy. Umi. Okay, let's get this out of the way right now, because it's important. The movie runs eighty seven minutes, three below the ninety target, so they could have held a shot of a wave maybe for three more minutes, or had some kind of surfing contest that would have been fine.
Speaker 2: Congrats to them, though three minutes contest, heys.
Speaker 1: Three minutes more than they had. Historya will look back on them positively and the movie was written by Jan Rosenberg, who has kind of a crazy career, making for a very rare female director and writer team. Rosenberg wrote a Disney Live action classic starring a young Meredith Salinger and John Cusack called Journey of Natty Gan. She also directed nineteen ninety one's White Fang and eventually Bambi two. This time It's Personal, a movie that recently surprised us both during one of our games about sequels. I've never seen it. Hopefully Bambi's dad doesn't die in the start of this one, like his mom died in the start of the first one. It's still traumatized. She also was the script supervisor on the original Piranha movies Rock and Roll High School with the Ramones So Cool and the Howling. Okay, it's time to make a decision. Are we selling the land for millions, honoring a Hawaiian tradition by keeping the house, or just getting into the movie. I say we start with rip Girls and go from there. Here we go. We open with our main character, Sidney, flying into Hawaii, peeking out the window at some amazing island views. She's coming home, well sort of. She was born there but doesn't remember anything because she left when she was really young. And her dad, Ben, who we also learned as a bit of a worry wart with his daughter never wanted to come back after her mom died. Sydney isn't sure she even remembers her mom anymore without thinking of a photo. But also she has a new step mom she likes very much, named Elizabeth. The family eventually lands and they drive through the island as the opening credits role. When they eventually arrive, we see a quick POV from someone hiding in the bushes watching them with binoculars. And so far, this could be a pretty good horror film where Sydney and her family are haunted by the ghost of her mother hell bent on killing the new stepmom. Also, keep this stalker in mind, we're gonna talk about him later. Sidney then walks around the beautiful house in the woods around it, taking photos. She stumbles onto a beach where she sees kids surfing and takes pictures of them shredding too, And I was still optimistic at this point. She admits she's more into art and computers, so she normally wouldn't try something like hanging ten Back in the house, Sidney is cautious when entering. She finds her way into her dusty bedroom, which seems untouched for quite some time, except for a stray black cat that gives us a little jump scare see horror movie. And then a colorful local named Bo enters. He's impressed with Sidney and puts a lay around her neck. He's the lawyer of Sydney's grandma's will, who has recently died. He explains, since Sydney is the last living heir, everything including the entire plantation, goes to her, but the only condition is she must stay in Hawaii for two weeks. Bo explains the Mackai Kuau and I'm apologizing to everybody through this entire episode for all the misprenunciations, because there will be a ton. The Mackai Kuau have been ranching on the property for five generations, and even though the house is run down, the land is very fertile. But Ben doesn't get it. This is high end beachfront property. Why would they keep it for farming? Bo tries to explain, even though there have already been offers on the land, there is still value in tradition. As the old argument of value over money begins, Sidney finds her way to a cabinet that magically opens by itself, clearly still in a horror movie, none of that made sense. Inside, she spots a bound book which looks very similar to the necronomicon Ex Mortis from the Evil Dead. It's an album filled with old timy pictures of her family. She runs it over to her dad, who instantly notices a picture of his deceased wife, Sidney's bomb, holding a surfboard. He's clearly stung with sadness, and Sidney is very interested to learn more. That night, amidst the storm, Sydney unpacks her room and returns to looking at the photo. She decides to put it on her vanity mirror. The next morning, landscapers are already working on the property and Sidney sees that stray cat again. It runs off, so she follows it into the jungle like you do. Eventually right to a wooden She opens the door, awakening an owl and getting her first glimpse inside. It's run down and filled with sharp tools. Then she jumps and reveals a surfboard, just before another jump scare from the owl. So this is it's basically a Stephen King book. At this point, Sidney decides to take the surfboard, which is let's not be a you know, it's theft it's petty theft. She runs off, stumbling into it, which she doesn't pretty well, that's come on, she doesn't know all the stuff that's in there. Come on, can't just be taking stuff? Was the truck hers too? I guess? So, yes, she does, I guess it is hers. She runs off, stumbling into a girl on a bike, causing a brutal crash. It's a local girl named Gia, who for good reason, is mad about the run in, but she quickly changes her tune when she sees Sydney's sick board quote unquote. When the now healed Gia ask how it rides, Sidney fibbs, implying it's awesome. The local quickly realizes who Sidney is, the long lost relative here to read the will the island a small and news travels fast. Later that night, Ben says he was thinking about taking a hike tomorrow, but Elizabeth suggests a nearby quilt exhibit, which, yeah, awesome, sounds like a blast for a kid. Sidney revealed she was thinking about maybe going to the beach alone. She wants to meet up with Gia and her friends, but Ben is clearly not comfortable with this. Sidney prophi says she'll be careful, but he says no, she argues, she's thirteen, not a baby. By the way, for the first time in a good long while, look thirteen, Yes, actor, look thirteen. Everybody seemed to be very appropriately age wise cast. It wasn't like, wait, she's supposed to be eight or you know something. It was all very They all yeah, looked their ages, which is great.
Speaker 2: And by and by the way, I don't hate Sydney's dad going I like, you're too young to go.
Speaker 1: Off, but especially when your mom died the same way, I could see being freaked out about going to the beach, which even just going to the beach in general.
Speaker 2: But still we're on like an island. We don't know anyone. You certainly don't know anyone little girl, Like, no, you, no, you might not act.
Speaker 1: Thirteen when walking down to the beach. Be that big a deal for a kid you're thirteen. I'd been sued by the time I was thirteen.
Speaker 2: No, honestly, yes, I that is not I feel like they're no no really no, no, I mean maybe I'll feel different, but at this point, no.
Speaker 1: At thirteen, you you weren't able to just like walk to a beach. Again, we're talking about kind of a closed off island. You're walking, She's not like grabbing a snorkel.
Speaker 2: I was allowed to like ride my bike up to like the shopping center that was, you know, outside of the neighborhood and across like one major street.
Speaker 1: And that's way more dangerous than going to the beach.
Speaker 2: But will, what were you doing at thirteen when you had time on your own? I already know because you have told me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm not a good example. I'm a very good example. What were you doing that at thirteen when.
Speaker 2: You would that I was around people that that were but you did definitely, Yeah, but that's because I was.
Speaker 1: I was a bust, like I'd been smoking for years by thirteen.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. But like the beach to me again, the ocean puts a whole other factor in it, Like how would I ever know if you went into the ocean and got like he was not being mean? Like honestly, like, how am I gonna know?
Speaker 1: I don't think he was being mean. I think though he was being overly cautious. I think a thirteen year old on a small island walking to a beach by his again.
Speaker 2: If he was with the friend. Okay, but no, no, I don't even like when my song leaders when we're at Disney World go to the restroom on their own. Take a buddy, okay, take somebody with you to make sure that you don't venture off and die somewhere.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, and nobody takes you, And nobody takes you because you're cute. Okay, people are looking to take you. Got a cute things.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's different with girls, because I mean again, at thirteen, we were riding our motorcycles in the woods and camping out all the time.
Speaker 2: And we knew where you were at. This is different. She doesn't know where she is.
Speaker 1: We will disagree agree. She's kinna knock because it's like right down anyway. Okay. Sabrinas is clearly team her dad, Team Ben. She argues, though, that she's thirteen, not a baby. I would argue that as well. Elizabeth even tries to get Vince Ben, but he's scared of riptides and currents. Okay, that's fair. Sidney tries to compromise. She won't go in the water, she'll just take pictures. And so the next day we see the plan. She's given a cell phone and case on emergency in two thousand, which I'm surprised didn't have to be carried in a backpack. Sydney leaves for the beach just as two real estate agents arrived to talk about selling the house. While they're busy with introductions, she sneaks into the shed and takes the found surfboard with her. Uh oh, she might be a rule breaker. When she arrives at the beach, Ga and the gang are already catching some waves. Happy to see her, Gia encourage her sort to jump, but Sidney wants to hang out a little and survey their little homemade beach house. Sydney meets Gia's pals Linnea and Malay, then they're joined by some cute surfer boys, including one frosted tip punk named ConA, who broke his arm trying a skateboard trick. He's stuck in the sand for now, so Sydney immediately starts taking pictures of him, and he explains everyone surfs on the island unless they're a major dork. Okay, question do you think do you remember reading the script?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Do you remember most things about the script?
Speaker 2: Uh? Not most things? I remember this.
Speaker 1: Did ConA have a broken arm in the script? Yes he did, Yes, you're sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm almost positive because what kept him on the sand. Otherwise he would have been out in the ocean and she wouldn't have right.
Speaker 1: But but he's still skateboarding, he's still swimming after her, all that kind of stuff. It just seemed like, like why he could have still stayed and had a conversation where the fact that he had a broken arm meant nothing to the story.
Speaker 2: Later Yeah, yeah, he just didn't need to.
Speaker 1: And so in my head, I was like, does he did? They have to change it because the actor broke his arm right before they were going to start.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: You remember he had a broken arm in the script, Okay, Because to me, I was like, it makes no sense that this kid has a broken arm, Like it just it did nothing for the story. He's still doing all his skateboarding stuff. So they want to keep him on the beach. That's fine. They can keep them there to talk with her and he can still run in and catch a wave or two. Yeah, because it just didn't I didn't understand why he had a broken arm. It just was completely and totally unnecessary, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean feel like I remember friends that would break their arms and they would still skate versus like, you can't go in the water with your count.
Speaker 1: He went in several times. I guess he's trying to save people, but still I don't get that I understood.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like it's like he's not going to not go in to save someone, but like, I know, it just.
Speaker 1: Didn't Yeah, it didn't seem it didn't seem like it did anything for the story that the guy had a broken arm. Frankly, I just.
Speaker 2: What beached him, Like, yeah, I mean to go into the water and get them to be able to have time away from the friends.
Speaker 1: Which easily could have done that without him with the weird story of having a broken arm. Anyway, he says longboards like Sydney's are for relaxing cruises, but a short board is extreme. She's impressed and calls him a poet, which honestly seems undeserves His words weren't poetic at all.
Speaker 2: But I thought she was going to finish the sentence. It's like, you're a poet. You don't even know.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. I swear.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh God, oh, oh, oh, is.
Speaker 1: That where we're going? Oh my god, Yeah, I didn't think it was poetic, but to each his own. He also quickly realizes she's never served before, so she admits a little secret between Chicago and her nervous dad. She's never even thought about surfing before. We cut it later and the girls are having a small tutorial for Sydney, and now she's ready. Uh, you didn't lose sound in your podcast. I'm just pausing because I have no idea how long the scene was supposed to represent in real life. But in the run of the movie they teach her for about four seconds. I don't see how. And then Ga says having fear is part of the fun, and Sydney gives in and walks into the water. And guess who we see as now after the quickest montage in film history as she walks in the water, the creeper from the beginning of the movie, still with binoculars. And then this is something again. I wanted you to keep this in mind that everyone forgot existed. And then guess what. It never happens again. We never see this again. It's never dressed again. It's it's this guy's broken arm. Why the hell would they even do this?
Speaker 2: It never very Sabrina sees what happened to the box?
Speaker 1: Where's where's Johnny binoculars? Like?
Speaker 2: What happened? Did we ever find was that the real estate people don't know her mom's best friend that we find later? Was it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's a guy on the other side of the beach where there are surfing competitions. Yeah, because it was so weird and he just never comes up again, was it?
Speaker 2: I mean, do you think that there was a scene that ends up getting explained and that's just what hit the floor? That was the three minutes we lost for me?
Speaker 1: Maybe it's three minutes about binocular john Like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know either.
Speaker 1: Never happens again. Sidney now paddles out into the ocean and falls off, then gets back up and tries again. At the end of the day, She's frustrated, but Gia tells her not to worry. She'll get it, but Sidney reveals she's only in Hawaii for two weeks. She is confused. What about the house, isn't it hers?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Sidney says they can't move because of her parents' jobs. But you can tell she wishes that they could back at home. Elizabeth asked Sidney about her day. Sidney says taking pictures went great, but she's concerned about how weird her dad has been acting lately. Elizabeth is as sure Sydney it's not her Adults sometimes get lost in their own boring adult problems. Sidney thinks he's worried too much, especially because she's very careful in life. Elizabeth actually agrees and praises her, and it's a very nice parenting scene, something we really see in d com So congrats to keep saying rip girls. Can we please buy the end of this podcast? Come up? They better name than I will say.
Speaker 2: This stepmom dynamic has been one of my favorite parenting relationship. She was a great character seeing she was a great character all the way through the movie. Loved this character and I was so great, so so grateful that this relationship was represented. And this is one of the things that I love about Disney, and y'all know this even listening to this podcast. This kind of representation of being seen is why Disney had such great fans, is because this spoke to a very big group of people and kids. And how I think I mean it was awesome, like the step parent awesome in this.
Speaker 1: I agree percent. Could it be something with Home Coming, Home Waves Home. I don't know. Oh I don't ride, but it's even that it's like you're still that it's a surfing movie. I don't know, because there was.
Speaker 2: A little bit of surf. There's a little and they talk about culture and why of course.
Speaker 1: But they didn't show it. Why not call it skateboarding ConA skateboarding movie. There's basically as much of that as there is a surfing. I mean like two or three little surfing scenes. That's it. This was not a surfing.
Speaker 2: Movie to be called rip girls, right right.
Speaker 1: Anyway, We cut to Ben and Sydney now with Bo at the real estate office. The agent's explained that the current offers from someone who wanted to buy the property years ago, but Sydney's grandma wasn't interested in selling. She loved her land and didn't even look at the proposal. But Sydney and her dad do want to look at it. It's from a company looking to build a new resort, but the historical house and shed would have to be demolished, but they'll keep the name Horden Resort. At Plantation Mackay. The agents say they can talk to Horden about keeping the structure, but also the beach is currently set to be for just resort guests. It's all very concerning to Sydney. What do you think the offer was for? I mean beach. It's supposed to be two thousand, talking.
Speaker 2: Two thousands, your two thousand, But.
Speaker 1: It's probably in the millions, don't you reckon? I mean, like, oh, for sure two million bucks? Maybe No, I bet you one point five.
Speaker 2: No, I would think it'd be closer to.
Speaker 1: Ten even in two thousand you think, I guess it's beach front.
Speaker 2: It's a plantation and it's beach front.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's true. So ten to fifteen mil. Yeah, that it's tough to turn down.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It could have been called rich girls have been called rich girls. Yeah girls, Yeah exactly. You're offering me twenty five million dollars. It was nice to meet you, Johnny. It's gum whatever.
Speaker 2: So to like again, I'm on this dad's side so hard because it's also Liken your team. Ben Ben is like, I'm like, okay, because you put me on, you give me a resort or you give me this big piece of land that I have zero idea of how to maintain, like the mountain.
Speaker 1: You just give me a farm, can't do it.
Speaker 2: Myself, Like my my cousin bought a two hundred acres in uh West Virginia, and I like my first thing was like, how do you.
Speaker 1: Gonna do who?
Speaker 2: Who does it? Like? Who do you do? Who does that for you? And she's like We're gonna do it?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, yeah, you work the land? No, all right? So that's the movie would have ended right there with just Sabrina signing the papers exactly.
Speaker 2: Would be yes sign sign sign like also, like it didn't look like they had staff doing it, like who is maintaining this land?
Speaker 1: That well, they had some people that were out there. They did show the people cleaning up the resort and cleaning up the land. They showed a kind of a crew out there cleaning up. So that part my.
Speaker 2: If it was people had jobs, I'm not trying to get anyone's like livelihood and situation, so then like that might be a part. But like ten million dollars.
Speaker 1: I thought you're called seriously, the movie would have been it would have been a short film about Sabrina going and signing papers to become rich.
Speaker 2: I would love to inherit something. Let me tell you when Sabrina Brian is not inheriting anything. But if it was, it was worth.
Speaker 1: Ten million signing on the dotted line.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, stamp nails, son.
Speaker 1: And movie over, thank you very much. Nice. You wouldn't have met any of the other people on the island. I would have gone, I would have gotten a sandwich. I would have signed the papers. I would have been, We'll find you a nice boy somewhere else. We're now worth twenty five million dollars.
Speaker 2: We have just upped our auntie. Wow.
Speaker 1: Later, well, some people who don't think on that, don't think like that, are staying on the island. So later, Gia and the girls are back out surfing kind of. When Sydney returns longboarded hand, Gia encourages her she'll own waves today and as a result, this is another thing. We get a loud song and said the nervously paddles out and catches a wave. She gets up and almost makes it all the way to the shore before wiping out. She's thrilled, what a success. Great. Did the mix of this movie seem really off? To you. There was background music that was so loud at times that I had to put on the subtitles.
Speaker 2: Oh really, because it was like, wow, I could.
Speaker 1: I was like, I can't hear some of the dialogue. The background music is so loud.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't. I didn't know. I didn't, but I did. Like this was like a true right in there with Brink and Johnny's Sunami, like the vibe of the ska music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and show us more of that as you're studying. You're about to do the final surf off, like I'm wait on god, why is that not happening?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the big race down Death Valley Hill or whatever.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I already saw that in Brink. They can't do but we saw it and everything and break my god.
Speaker 1: If they had the even Buffalo Dreams had a race, it's like, oh my god. So anyway, even ConA saw it while carefully skateboarding nearby with his broken arm for no reason. Ga says ConA is her best friend and realizes Sydney likes likes him, oh double. Like time she encourages Sidney to say something to him, he'll be stoked. She says, ConA is a good listener and an incredible artist, and now I kind of want to date ConA. But for now, they've got waves to catch. Sydney paddles out again and ready's for the next wave. But at the last minute, g yells don't catch this one, but it's too late. Sydney has thrown off the board immediately and thrown underwater. Ga and ConA are concerned and rushed to save her. She's still struggling in the current when ConA, who's underwater cast and all pulls her out, saves her life. Back on land, Sydney's bleeding. She's cut her head. How's she going to explain this to her parents? Gea has ConA get her mom for help, and then Sidney finds herself lying in a hammock in a small house filled with scary looking masks. It's been a while since we've been in a horror movie, so this is a welcome return. And they really they shot it like that, I mean they shot it it was like scary, Matt It's like, wait, aren't these these are like historical religious almost artifacts? And the way they shot it was almost like scary scary, and it's like, I get she's supposed to be waking up from it, but these are also supposed to be like their ancestors, spirits. I think so. I feel like they made it a little scary for no kind of reason. But yeah, yes, we are back in a horror movie. Gia's mom, Malia, helps Sidney up and gives her a secret cure ta Sidney admits she doesn't remember much. Malia says to Sidney, you're so much like her, but before she can explain what she meant, Gia returns. She says Cona's cast is soggy because it got all wet, but he's a hero. Now he wants to know when she'll be back surfing, But Sydney's instinct is to quit, good instinct. Something's hard just quit, especially when she notices her surfboard is wrecked. But Gia's mom can fix it, just like she can make healing tea. And now I want to date She's mom. Who Frankly, I love these kind of characters. It's the slightly older, still really good looking. It's kind of a trope. It's really good looking, slightly spiritual. Uh, you know, guide for lack of a better turn, Tea makes weed. Yeah, first of all straight up by aahuasca. She was tripping balls for hours. That's a woman. So yeah, because you're a woman that's a big, big crush on her, big crush on her.
Speaker 2: Does make weed tea for you?
Speaker 1: She does not? So does not make weed tea for me? Nor do I drink weed tea? She does? She does not. But that kind of spiritual like I love that almost hippie vibe. You know, I grew up in a town with a lot of hippies, so like almost hippie vibe. Older woman probably smells like pechuli. She's gorgeous. She yeah knows, is like connected to the land. Big fan of that.
Speaker 2: I can't handle that. You assume what people smell.
Speaker 1: Like, Oh yeah, but I'm also right. That's the thing. I'm also right. I know exactly how she smells. She smells like it's like kind of lavender, kind of petuli and happiness.
Speaker 2: We bring our guests on. When now I'm going to ask from here on out, what do you think they smell?
Speaker 1: What do you think that? I'd be happy to, I'd be happy to. Malia reveals the surfboard was Sidney's mom's. They were best friends since childhood and that's who she meant. Sidney looks so much like Malia wants to show her something, so they drive off on an ATV to hike up a mountain, finding a beautiful view of another beach. Malia says, this time every year, whales land here with their young and it's a sacred event. The first time she saw the whales was with Gia's mom at a magical ceremony. Sidney hopes the whales arrived during her trip so she can go to the ceremony herself. Malia brings Sidney back home, where her parents were scared sick, but only Elizabeth is there. Her dad is actually out looking for her. Still. Elizabeth notices the cut, but Sydney hides how she got injured, and that's when Ben returns. He's happy she's alive, of course, but very concerned and she can't lie. She admits she wants to be part of something always has, and so she went surfing. Now her dad is furious, I understand this, it's literally how we live wife. He sends Sidney to her room and blames Malia. There, old friend, It's actually not Malia's fault so much as Gia's. But anyway, old friends, Ben and Malia argue as Sidney leaves her room. Ben thinks Malia's encouraging her to serve, but Malya's focus on how little she knows about her mother. Good adult conversation where they're both kind of right. She thinks the ocean is a great healer and Ben thinks it's a great destroyer. On her way out, Malia encourages Ben to live again. He needs to heal and now a long with her husband. Elizabeth agrees. Ben says once they're back in Chicago, everything will be better, but Elizabeth knows he's wrong. If you end this speech she gave was really great. If you and so adult, If he was having an affair, she'd know what to do with that and fight through it because she believes in them as a couple. But the grief is too much. How can she fight a ghost? And to top it all off, Sydney has heard everything. And it was another really good scene between adults, very well written, very well active.
Speaker 2: It wasn't too heated, It wasn't it was literally to the point.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was so good for people like again Disney showing like there are other people out there going through this same situation of how do you how do you mourn the loss of one person and move on? Like all of this was just so good.
Speaker 1: It really was, And it's one of those things where it does best they do, they do it great, and it's it was. It wasn't man's plaining, It wasn't woman's plaining. It was a real conversation between adults and very well written, very well acted.
Speaker 2: And how it would be as a young person to listen to your your parents having this conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the complexity too, yes, grief and the guilt you feel when you move on and you can't fully move on and I'm not I can't be in love with somebody else when the person I love is gone. It's very very deep and really well done.
Speaker 2: I would like, do you do you think we'll come across a dcom that goes through not at being someone has died, but like literally just a divorce and a new relationship.
Speaker 1: Maybe that could be world's richest ca at. You never know, it could just be there could be another poorly named d coom that's really about this horrible divorce and the struggles.
Speaker 2: Because I hope we do. I hope you'll do the like a positive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe in some of the newer ones, because in the older ones they don't do that. They don't do that.
Speaker 2: It has the one one side has to be gone.
Speaker 1: What was the one that we saw not too long ago with the co parenting that they were divorced. He dropped the dad is kind of has to learn to be a better dad. She lives with her mom. We just saw it. I can't remember what it was. He's coming to pick her up at the house. He's always doing other stuff. Oh, I can't remember. We'll remember what it is. Yeah, we gotta do a rewatch rewatch. Yeah, we'll have to do that. Later that night, out on the patio, Sidney looks through one of her mom's old yearbooks and sees pictures of her in front of another house named Kala Loa. The next morning, she rushes up to Gia and the girls in the each who are meditating praying to the quote unquote original surfer Chick above while braiding each other's hair to bring better waves. While they concentrate, the surferboards playfully attack them with super soakers and guess who's backskating. It's Hero pretty boy. Kona Sidney finally gets a chance to thank him for saving her life, which I was like, yeah, it's about time you go over and be like, hey, thanks for saving my life. And he made something for her. It's a theme park like caricature drawing of her surfing and taking photos at the same time. Did you get one of these done as a kid where they take the thing you hate most about yourself and make it three times the size form nineteen dollars?
Speaker 2: I have. I've gotten it done a couple times. But the craziest part when I watched it, because I watched it last night. We just went to SeaWorld and passed one of those, and my mom's like, you should get that done at the kids, I'm like, you and Jordan, the four of you should do it. And I was like, no, they always make my nose look so like this because it's not super Why I beat every time I've done it, how they do my nose like it's so annoying. I will not do it again.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: That's how I look when I get photographed, So I don't even forget somebody drawing me. It's just not bad.
Speaker 2: Uh do?
Speaker 1: What do you think this drawing still exists in real life. Do you think somebody has this drawing frame somewhere because I would love to have this, Yes, actual drawing from the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure, I bet, I hope. I hope that Camille has it.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna have to find out because I want to get I want to get somebody to send one of us an awesome dcom Memorabiliay. I mean you have some because you're in it, but and I have some from my wonderful World of Disney days, but I'd like something like, you know, super yeah, skateboard I do is?
Speaker 2: Ask Lisa.
Speaker 1: She's got some.
Speaker 2: She's got too crazy. We got to wear the camp rock hats. Hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, us, Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: We'll figure out some cool memorabilia out there, for sure.
Speaker 1: There is. Sydney asked ConA about this Kaalaalola house in her mom's picture, and he knows all about it. He says it's on the plantation, abandoned and kind of spooky. She's determined, but he has one question, how well do you ride? And we cut to Sydney, Conah and Gea on horse. It's the only way to get to this plantation. Apparently, we get some beautiful scenery shots, and eventually they get to the house, which is not only apparently haunted, it's where all the cool parties used to be. Once they enter, Sidney immediately feels the presence of her mom. She stumbles into her mom's childhood bedroom. Back at the realtor's office, the agents have called in Sydney, her parents and Bo the Hordens have upped their offer. Now, see, Sabrina, had you not signed, you would have gotten more money with a seventy two hour window for response, and it's apparently such a good offer. It's an easy decision to sell. But back at home, Sydney still seems torn. See. I would have added the line to show how much money it is. When they say to her, hey, I hope you've picked your IVY league college, I would have had the other realtors say, because now you can afford to buy it, just to show that it's a ton of money. Yes, because I get it's a tough you know, it's supposed to be a tough decision. But if you make it so ridiculously life altering in money that the decision is crazy, then it makes it for a tougher decision. But anyway, yes, I think it would be good.
Speaker 2: I mean, it wasn't tough for me to begin with.
Speaker 1: No. I know again, you would have sold it in the phone call. You never would have even been on the plane, been like who died? Yeah, fact, fact it's two thousand, Fax me the stuff. I'll sign right now, right back, man, We're not even done with the conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I can afford the good paper.
Speaker 1: The see, had you just held out a little bit, you would have gotten a better offer. But back at home, Sidney still torn, and while thinking it over, she hears some noise outside. It's Gia and Kona. They were sent by Malia. It's time. We're now at the big Whale ceremony at the beach and what looks like a very festive luau, very pretty scene. Upon arrival, Sydney is greeted by Malia with a flower for her ear, taught how to hula by Kia, and treated to Hawaiian delicacies. One elder is telling the story to a group of kids about a boy and a girl and a tsunami and forbidden love. And not only is there a happy ending this story, but ConA and Sidney.
Speaker 2: Kiss, and it was a kiss.
Speaker 1: It was good, but it was like it was age appropriate. I thought, yes, again, it was not what I think we should start referring to as a c C. K. It was not a Christy Carlson kiss.
Speaker 2: Not a Christy Carlson because Christy Carlson is the only person in Disney history to get a makeout such and which she took it to the next level.
Speaker 1: I mean, she took it to the next level. This was a nice kiss, though, the next level. I also really liked this scene. It's been done in a bunch of movies, but I like the scene where the guy is kind of or girl is translating and whispering the story into the ear as somebody else tells it. It's just very sweet. I'm a big fan of that and I love it. So it was very very nice. But there's no time. There's no time to celebrate here because the whales are here. Sydney watches on with Malia. It's very impressed by the beauty of just a horribly computer graphic single whale.
Speaker 2: What you didn't think that was all it was? I thought it was.
Speaker 1: I only had the money to do one. It was like supposed to be this big thing one whale.
Speaker 2: And then the Lincoln memorial.
Speaker 1: Exactly suddenly I'm in the movie again.
Speaker 2: Suddenly Will pops up.
Speaker 1: It was not good.
Speaker 2: It was it was, it was.
Speaker 1: It was again.
Speaker 2: We're on a Disney Channel budget.
Speaker 1: You can't cut to just stock footage of whales.
Speaker 2: That's the one they found.
Speaker 1: But I mean, there's I could cut. You could google whales right now, and even in two thousand, you could have just gone to stock footage of whales. They had to have had it. This was just this was not good. But she has one big question for her mom's friend. Was she there for the accident. Malia says that she was, and it was on a perfect day in the ocean. They took their first waves together with huge miles on their faces, But when they got tired and started coming back to the beach, a huge swell with waves stacking up on top of each other, caught her off guard and swept her towards the rocks. Melia says her dad didn't even want to know the story. He just wanted to leave and take Sydney with him. But Malia wants Sidney to know her mom fought through those waves. As hard as she could to get back to her daughter, but Sidney's still angry her mom should have been there for her. Now, Malia wants her and her dad to release that anger for their own sakes. And then we see the fake whale again doing exactly the same jump with exactly the same thing. They just hit repeat again on the same bad shot, and after a very nice scene there was that, and it was like, man, there we go.
Speaker 2: You just kind of like wonder Like when the editors, the director, all of that are like watching this back, Wow, can we know what?
Speaker 1: I'm sure they did, but it was like, what do we do? What can we do? It's like just pre hit return and run it again.
Speaker 2: I didn't repeat? Yeah pretty much so close together, there's not even enough time to get it the first time you can.
Speaker 1: It's even the whale was like in bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that whale was like I'm sorry, I'm ready to do this again.
Speaker 1: Sorry it's me again. The next morning, Sydney returns home once again to find an angry father. She left him a note, but he still seems worried. She doesn't have much to say to him other than you should have told me. It shouldn't have been some deep, dark secret, which is true, and he knows she's talking about the accident. She storms off to her room and rips up the picture of her mom that was on the vanity.
Speaker 2: I hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it hurt me too. In the kitchen, benis spiraling. He tells Elizabeth he keeps thinking he should have saved Leilani, his wife that day. He didn't think he could ever love anyone again, but then he found Elizabeth. It never seemed fair to him that he can be so happy now and yet she's dead. But Elizabeth knows she would want him and Sydney and even her to be happy. And this might be the most loving character in the history of dcom She's a great character. And now I just want to date Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: And she never makes it about her, No, she really does it. Like what an amazing I mean, how hard it would be to have to do this situation with your husband who you know, it's such a sensitive thing and you're also helping raising their child, and like it's.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, wow, yeah, great character.
Speaker 2: Was an amazing character, A great character. Love to get some of that great characters.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was great, she was great. Your sign check Yeah again you Sidney wouldn't have been allowed. Your daughter wouldn't have been not allowed out of the house. You're not you are. We are here for one reason. You're gonna sit in that room until I signed the papers and then we are out. I can't believe we even have to be here. I've called door dash. Sit you here out there, We'll be right back. That is a much different movie starring Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry. I wish I could be you, but I can't.
Speaker 1: Great character. Ben takes his advice and asks Sidney on a walk. Sidney says she just doesn't understand why she knows nothing about her mom, But now Ben is an open book. He tells Sidney how beautiful her mom was and how similar they are, the way she moved, the way she laughed. Being in Hawaiia has made him think things through. Makai is her heritage, and so the decision to sell the property is hers and hers alone, even though she's a kid. She needs to find it in herself. And this I love this other conversation too, because she's like, well, we could use the money, right, and he's like, yeah, yeah, we could definitely use the money. But you know, but some people Disney a typical Disney thing would be like, hey, don't think about money, it's not about that. You've got to follow your heart. But he was like, yeah, no, we could really use the money, like we that would be helpful. Yes, but that's not important. Whatever Sidney decides, Ben and Elizabeth will be there for her. But let's be honest, Elizabeth is really the important part here. Sidney wonders if they could live in Hawaii, and Ben actually appears to be open to the idea. Back home, Sydney uses photoshop and the most perfect tape job in the history of the world. She puts one piece of tape on and the picture looks I mean, I was like, oh my god, she's a tape champion. She is. It's incredible. She's That's what it should have been called. That's what it should have been called. Tape Champion Girls. She uses photoshop, which might be one of the first times in two thousand we get to see photoshop early you on her mom, and they created an image of the two of them together. It was very, very sweet. The next day, Sydney finds Gia's friends near the beach, and now everyone's ignoring or even says she smells like dead fish.
Speaker 2: Which I felt was like a really harsh.
Speaker 1: That's super harsh.
Speaker 2: Like you can't to me, I would assume, I don't think I had a friend at all or anyone close to me that had a parent that had passed away, But I would assume using that word around them at all.
Speaker 1: Is just inappropriate, not cool. I agree, I agree, And you just met her.
Speaker 2: That says she smells like fish, I guess if you're trying to hit but she doesn't need to be a dead fit.
Speaker 1: Like that is like gorsh Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: I wanted to pop this girl in the face, like, yeah, come on, get get a little little bit of grace back, Give her a little bit of grace Like that's.
Speaker 1: Now, with the millions of dollars you just got from selling the plantation, you can hire someone.
Speaker 2: To friends to be honest. Exactly see what your name is, knew you for two minutes by now check get out with wealthy.
Speaker 1: Sydney does not get what's going on. Then she sees a newspaper headline about the resort buying the property, so everyone thinks she's already sold it. Sidney runs off to talk to Gia and Malia. Instead, she finds ConA clearing a surf cleaning a surfboard and listening to Hawaiian rap music. Gia isn't home, and ConA doesn't seem to be mad at her. He's shaping and painting a surfboard for her. It has that theme park image of her surfing and taking photos on it. Very cool. She tells ConA that she hasn't even decided on selling yet, and ConA reveals that Gia has been standing up for her to everyone and is currently at the beach. Sydney runs off and finds her in a quiet place sitting on a rock watching the waves. We learned that Gia's dad is a deadbeat businessman who doesn't even call her for a birthday, so she sees surfing as a release. By the way, if this movie was called talking about Surfing, perfect title, They talk about surfing an awful lot chat, surf Chat. There you go, surf chicks Chat, something.
Speaker 2: Like that surf chicks Chat.
Speaker 1: So she uses surfing as a really Sydney reveals that the resort has promised to add preserves for the whales and regulations to the purchase so that a lot of the plantation will actually stay intact, but Gia isn't sold. It's becoming a resort, so everything will change. The whales won't come back once the lagoon is filled with tourists. It was, in all fairness, one whale, and it was badly computer generated, so she could just hit a button and have that whale back anytime she wants. Sidney says she's worried that Gia and Malia are only friends with her because of the inheritance, and the whole thing was planned out to save the land. Gia admits that that was sort of the original idea. I was like, oh it was, but it changed once they got to know each other. But Sidney doesn't believe her. She thinks she's been worked, which she kind of has. Gia brings up the lies Sidney told too, like being a surfer chick, but that seemed a bit like gas lighting, But Sidney points out an important technicality. She never actually lied. She just admitted the truth and let her assume, which is never really a good argument. They're both kind of wrong, but one seems like, hey can you surf? And you're like well, and the other one is like, I'm going to pretend to be friends with you. So you don't sell this important land, don't seem it seems like Apple's and I'm going to be friends with you, So you don't intel this important land. It's just like yikes, yeah, anyway, Yeah, I'm one of those. I thought Ga was wrong there, frankly, yes.
Speaker 2: And it got escalated very quickly. Yes, girls around thirteen.
Speaker 1: Boys too, fan so quick like boys too.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh man, it's it's a rough.
Speaker 1: Age, it is, but you know what was missing, which is more exciting is a good on the beach fight scene like in point Break. Yeah. Something in point Break they're smashing each other's surfboards.
Speaker 2: Just running. Yeah, so hit the shoulder.
Speaker 1: Eana Reeves fights back like, yeah.
Speaker 2: The beach sands flying everywhere.
Speaker 1: That's I'm in for that. But it all escalates. Gia calls her a fool and a stupid love sick puppy, eluding to the idea that KNA was also in on the plan, and so Sidney says she is going to sell the land and hurries back home. Yikes. I hate you, yeah, and I hate the people I met here, and I mean it.
Speaker 2: Was like everyone can go suck it. I'm out, sign the check, give me a pens.
Speaker 1: Go suck it nice. But that night in bed, she's unable to sleep. She wakes up early to get to the real estate office with the agents, have the contract ready as well as some sparkling cider.
Speaker 2: Didn't look like sparkerling cider? Is that look that they were that minor yep alcohol? I agree, and that is a no no on Disney Channel.
Speaker 1: On any channel, don't serve miner's alcohol.
Speaker 2: But especially Disney Channel. That did not look like sparkling cider.
Speaker 1: That wasn't good.
Speaker 2: Wait, that look like Shandan. You are out of here, guys, get you gotstal That's right some dom betti on? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: As the paperwork is prepped, she sees Gia, Malia and friends hopping into a van and she's still obviously weighing the whole thing out. They toast the sale and all that's left is the first thing Sabrina would have done the movie, and that's the sign. She takes the pen ready to complete the purchase when she sees ConA skating alongside the van and then she moves pen to paper. We cut to Sydney running to Gia's house. Malia is there painting why are all these people so artistically talented? Malia assumed Sidney would be packing by now, but Sydney has news. Malita doesn't want to hear the details. Sidney did what she had to do. She gets it, but thought that maybe if she came home and saw it all again, then it would touch her and connect her to her mom and the land. And with that, she hands Sydney a locket and encourages her to open it. It's her mom's necklace with pictures of them together inside. The next thing we see is Sydney running up to someone she thinks is Gia at the skate ramp. The person ends up being it was it a guy? It looked like a guy.
Speaker 2: The oh yeah.
Speaker 1: It was a guy, right, yeah. I think it was a guy that from the from behind looked like Gia. So that was they cast somebody that looked like Gia from behind, but it was I think actually a guy. Apologize if it wasn't, but I think it was. And then ConA arrives and he seems pretty frustrated with everything that's been going on. He says Gia was really mad at Sydney, and yet still doesn't just blurred out her news instead, she storms off. She's concerned that Gia is surfing alone, so her and Coda decide to go search for her and make sure she's safe. After slowly climbing down a hill, Sidney spots of Gia's closed near her quiet place from earlier, and then spots her surfboard no longer attached to her friend. Uh oh, and then the movie turns into Baywatch. Sidney grabs a board and takes to the ocean to save Gia. She's immediately slammed by the waves, but notices Gia's arms flailing in the distance. Perfect timing, Sidney dives under water and grabs her, picks her up out of the board, and saves her life. Gia's arm is really torn up from the reef, so Sydney helps her swim back to shore, where COONa is waiting again and gets his cast alsagi again. This thing is never gonna heal, so they helped Gia walk back to the beach. Now resting on the sand, Gio wonders why Sidney even came back first. Sidney says she didn't mean it when she said she hated Gia or Hawaii, and Gina says she didn't mean all the things she said to her either And now finally Sidney has one more thing to announce. And for some reason, I get why they're doing this, but it was unnecessary. She pulls out the contract. She actually brought it with her to show that she didn't sign. She could have just said I didn't sign kind it's like, and let me show you the entire cut. So if you look at page sixty two.
Speaker 2: Here, I also wait right here, I'm gonna go run three blocks down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at page sixty two, subset B. You'll notice I did an initial line sixty one right, just say you didn't sign it. She won't be selling Makayah after all. Her family is going to stay there. Gia and ConA celebrate, running down the beach screaming and apparently Gia's arm is fine. Now back at the house, Ben, Elizabeth and Malia are on the patio talking about what's next for the family. He's got to look for a job because they just gave up twenty five million dollars. Or he's going to write a novel. HM always a good plan. He doesn't really know he'll figure it out, but he knows. He's proud of Sydney, which is very nice. We now cut back to Sydney sitting on her board in the ocean. Oh, that's right, surfing movie. She places a lay in the water to float away. She says she's not sure if she's saying hello or goodbye, but she knows her mother is watching over, so either way, it's all aloha. And then she joins her friends for another day of surfing and taking photos to a loud guitar solo again, And that is our film. Can we do some real reviews, Sabrina, you've got the five star this week? What do you what do you got for us?
Speaker 2: I've got a five star from Sophia l. I loved it and I want to own it. In other words, it's good, thank.
Speaker 1: You, sure to the point, and right away I have the one star review. It's from It's einhard one, but I was hoping the one was actually an exclamation port and it was einhard, but it's not. It's einhard one and reads as follows, dear God, could it be any worse? Having three kids, I've seen more Disney Channel movies than probably any man alive. I'm guessing I'm in that category now with you einheart and I should sue the Walt Disney Company for the time wasted watching this Turkey. My daughters even thought this movie was bad. The acting was stuff I bet you meant stiff, the writing was poor and it isn't even bad enough to make fun of while watching like Plan nine from Outer Space or they Saved Hitler's Brain. Wow, yikes. We've got our feature presentation this week, Sabrina's favorite and it's from producer Jensen once again, and this one is called Hawaii. Five yes or no. We will be given a question about our beautiful fiftieth state, Hawaii. We have to guess with multiple choice answers. If it's what's one's correct, we get three out of five right, we win. Producer Jensen, are you with us today?
Speaker 3: Yes, I am here.
Speaker 1: Okay. I'd like to also thank you for me having to pronounce a lot of these words, which there's no way in how I'm gonna get right. And I'm gonna get hate mail because I'm mispronouncing these.
Speaker 2: Beautiful words they are.
Speaker 1: They're gorgeous words, and I'm gonna get them wrong and I feel bad. Okay.
Speaker 2: Number one best well, and you're so much better than I am, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: I doubt.
Speaker 3: I mean, they did make Australia Hawaii here, so we're not We're not like trying to.
Speaker 1: I know, fair enough, okay. Number one, which island is the only one with a royal palace in the United States? Is it a maui b o wahu see Kawhi or d killigans. I'll guess first. I'm gonna I'm gonna say it's a wahoo.
Speaker 2: A royal palace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there was a royal family in Hawaii, so there's obviously there's no royalty in the United States, and you've been there.
Speaker 3: It's b O Pallas is located here.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: Like the tone and the happiness he gets when it's someone I'm wrong, It's just I mean, it's just like.
Speaker 1: What happiness when you can.
Speaker 3: Get it get if I can't. I can't hide a smile.
Speaker 2: I know you can't. I can literally hear your smile in your tone, like it's just it's just so rude.
Speaker 1: I just I love it. Number two, What is the meaning of the word Hawaii in the Hawaiian language?
Speaker 2: So many luls I should.
Speaker 1: Probably I would think a homeland be eternal paradise, see Place of the Gods or D Howie oh oh.
Speaker 2: I think we're gonna I'm gonna go with the Eternal Paradise.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with A Homeland.
Speaker 3: It's C Place of God.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, okay, gotcha. What is the name of the channel between the islands of Maui and Molokai. Is it A Kowala Kai channel, b Ellen Huhaha channel, Paleolo channel, or the E channel? Nice Jensen.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with A because that's the only one I recognize.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with A.
Speaker 3: Two getting destroyed. It is cy.
Speaker 1: Palolo Paleolo Lolo. Okay, yeah, channel channel, that's pay Lolo okay. Number four. What astronomical facility is located atop Mona, Kia taking advantage of the mountains, high elevation and clear skies. Is it A the Ford Solar Observatory, be the Mazda Observatory, see the super Telescope, or D the Toyota Observatory.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with the A.
Speaker 1: I think it's D the Toyota Observatory.
Speaker 3: You guys are getting destroyed. It is C Suberu Telescope. I'm so excited. I also thought that just making that wh the telescope was gonna Thrownna.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is what is? Finally? Just thankfully ending this number five? What is Hawaii's official state tree? Is it a the CoA tree? B the monkey pod tree, see a Banyan tree? Or d the giving tree. It's a CoA tree, right? Isn't it a a co tree?
Speaker 2: It might be the monkey pod tree? Okay?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 3: It's a The will comes out on top.
Speaker 1: Neither of you win.
Speaker 3: It's a good change up from you winning all these though. I'm happy about that.
Speaker 1: Ah. That was that was hard.
Speaker 2: That was good information to find out about our great state of Hawaii. To favorite places to visit. I love all the islands.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a question, Producer Jensen number two alan Oui, haha channel Is that a real Hawaiian word? Yes? It is?
Speaker 3: Okay, wow, I.
Speaker 1: Can say humhumunukua. That counts.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Can we do some Sabrina sease?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So we I unfortunately said quite a few of them already, so that's not great. But one of the first things that hits me at the very beginning is like, how distant was this? Mom? And you kind of this is again this comment that I'm making is at the very very beginning, we're talking a couple of minutes in when we when she looks at this picture and doesn't recognize her at all, Yeah, Like, is this mom? I mean, I feel like, I mean, my mom looked incredibly different. She had bright, like bleach blonde hair like you know. But like, there's no picture that someone would put, even a baby picture of my mom that I wouldn't be able to go that's my mom right there, right.
Speaker 1: I think they're trying to really say that he never spoke about her ever. But it's weird that there's no photos.
Speaker 2: There's photos, and it's not again, it isn't a divorce that was you know, angry and awful. Right, this is a woman who has passed. This is her mother, and she doesn't know pictures. But then like later on, then she recognizes a room that she was in at one point, which was just feel just by the feel of it, and she remembers it a two year old remembering anything as a little big of a stretch. I feel like, but okay, but this picture that really bothered me, Like, how is this possible? I again, binocular is coming out. My worst nightmare.
Speaker 1: Especially where this person is.
Speaker 2: And then again we saw them twice and I went at the very end, my very last one was what happened with the binoculars? No, it was crazy. There was a couple of times where this is one of the things that they do because I remember, you know, lines being thrown at us and trying to make them feel natural or whatever when it's just kind of not how kids really talked a lot. But there was a couple of them when they were first getting initially into the group and was like, go boy, like and you could tell that the actor that threw it out it was her friend, Like you could tell she wasn't comfortable saying it either way.
Speaker 1: I don't like this, go boy?
Speaker 2: Oh? Was that well it's like this like you just kind of like, yeah, what I don't want to know?
Speaker 1: Say here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, uncomfortable. And then like the information for me that they were kind of throwing back and forth at the beginning was just a little off. I was having a hard time at the beginning like that. There was some information that was clearly obvious known when you're like, wait, how did we know that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Things? Throughout the movie they were kind of just like throwing at us, like we that that everyone's understanding and that didn't make sense, And it was a lot about again this like history with the mom, history with the plantation. Like I also was thrown off of how this is the only ancestor that's getting this entire plantation, Like it just to me with the line yeah, yeah, she's the last of the line. But also like again, this woman passed away, so like in a trust, we just did our trust. So I know a little bit more. I'm feeling a little a little bit diny bit educated on it, diny diny that they're so difficult and complex, but like it was like, but they were married, so then the trust would go to him, but also to her. So like in my opinion, like he would have My assumption would be that he would have the dad, Ben would add a little bit more of a say than just this thirteen year old girl, right, like I.
Speaker 1: Think he did. I think they kind of set it up where it's like again he then said, we're going to leave it up.
Speaker 2: To you, okay, but okay, so yeah, because I mean it was like yeah thirteen first of all, too, in most trust, nothing gets done until you're like the miners eighteen oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, she wouldn't have been able to sign any kind again as the parent of the son of two lawyers. As they hand her the pen, it's like if thirteen year olds can't sign anything, their parents have to sign it's a Disney movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're going wait a minute, like that's not actually whatever.
Speaker 1: They're not going to hand the pen to the thirteen year old. They also handed her champagne.
Speaker 2: So that's my last one. I go, well, we're handing miners champagne nowadays, So like, okay, yay, Disney Channel just threw the rolls up in the air. There's paper flying everywhere. We're just gonna just wing it everything not masse.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: We'll say this this movie I on Like I remember again, this was in the time where I was watching DCOM after decommination, sure, loving them, loving most of them to be honest at that time. And this movie again, like you said, like there was enough enough of the surfing tiny bit, but even when we see her friend who's struggling, like how first of all, what was going on because she was treading water? But was she stuck under.
Speaker 1: Her I don't they don't, they don't explain it. I think there's see I think she's supposed to be in the what I think she's supposed to be in the rip current, I think is what they're kind of showing.
Speaker 2: And I guess because it's not an animation movie, it's like definitely hard to like film something like that. But like she's not moving, she's so if you.
Speaker 1: Go back and you watch it again, I'm not I think they show I know, but fair enough. I think they show her being sucked under the water, as if she's being held under by the rip and then they cut to the rocks, which is how her mom died. Oh, so I think they're showing they're trying to show that Gia is essentially in exactly the same position her mom was and she was able to save my momn.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been stuck in a ripra I have, and you're like humbling, You're like tumbling. It's the waves coming oceans, the waves coming over and you're getting pulled in like it's like you're like going like that's what's the scariest part of it is your feet, your legs are going over you and you're doing these like summersaults in the water and.
Speaker 1: That's just to spin you closer to a shark's mouth. That's it. Yeah, I know, but the she was just like, yeah, it wasn't. I also, honestly, the the the picture she was taking, especially at the beginning during the movie, where they just freeze frame and it was usually kind of out of focus and bad. I was like, Okay, they're just showing bad pictures. And then there's some that are clearly taken from the water where she's supposed to be in the water looking up at the surfers, and then they cut to her like still only in like half an inch of water, and I'm like, okay, who took that shot? Yeah, so there were some interesting choice. Yeah, there was some interesting acting choice directing choices.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And again I think it's like, to me, I just kind of equivalate it to just being like the limitations of what they had.
Speaker 1: I've got to imagine they went through this with Johnny Ssunami, and they went through this with all all their movies. Like this, shooting in the water just adds a whole nother aspect of shooting a film. I feel like that's.
Speaker 2: Gotta be the biggest reason of why they did not have more surfing elements. Now they could have thought of a better name.
Speaker 1: I guess you don't make it a surfing movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, And then like I said, the last thing was you know that that part was my last thing with the friend, Like I didn't understand the drama of like trying to reach out and go get her, like obviously she was underwater, but it was like we could have had.
Speaker 1: I think it was too tough to show because they wanted to show that, so I think they also tried to explain it because she hit the re so she couldn't use her arm, so she couldn't swim with her arm. But then afterwards she's like jumping up on the beach and grabbing hard. Then she's fine. So yeah, it was there was some anyway. Okay, well, thank you Sabrina. It's now time to rate the film, and I think I go first this time, do I not? Yes? We went first? Okay, all right, our options this week, and I say we do one out of ten. Okay, let's just will keep it easy and we'll make one the worst and ten the best. Our option this week. One out of ten horror movie d coms, one out of ten sick Boards enthralling quilt exhibits one out of ten, soggy casts which sounds like a sex thing, one out of ten. Julie tsunamis, one out of ten computer graphic whales, dead fish smells, or one out of ten unexplained peeping toms. Which would you like to do this week's Brina, I'm gonna let you.
Speaker 2: Pay think it, you know, give a little nod to my fave, my favor movie. Let's dude you Julisnami's.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got it. We're gonna do one to attend. Julie sunamis, okay, I go first, you go first. The title threw me. I can't get over it. I'm gonna be totally honest. I can't. Don't set me up for a surfing movie. If it's not a surfing movie, do not call it BMX bandit's if they're neither bmxing nor bandits in the movie. That's not you know again, that's if call it something else. If you're not going to show war amongst the stars, don't call it star wars. So I was expecting a surfing movie. I was expecting a Disney Channel typical Girl out of Water comes and joins this cool click in Hawaii, they teach you how to surf. There's the good surfer, there's the bad surfer, there's the locals that don't want to have everything. It ends in the big surfing competition DCOM. That's what I'm expecting. It wasn't that. No, it wasn't bad. The first of all the good things. It was pretty to watch. The the the landscape looked incredible. The acting was good. I thought some of the characters were very well written. The adults were great. I loved the relationships. Was not expecting this movie. That being said, I think I'm being fair all the way around in giving this movie a six point five. Julie Tsunamis. I think that's a pretty fair score. They had I known what was going to happen, and it was going to be this and not a surfing movie, it probably could have been a seven or a seven and a half. But some of the stuff, the whale thing was really bad. Not her not knowing anything about her mom was really strange. Yeah, so yes, I think I'm fair at a six point five. I could go a soft seven, but I'm going to keep it a six point five. Julie tsunamis what about you?
Speaker 2: So for me, I'm literally just a tiny bit above. You agreed there were not necessarily just things kind of just like brushed over very quickly that I would have loved a little bit more explaining or you know, things here in Yeah, Well, that I think was if they if they if there there was something that led up to it that they decided to cut, they should have cut those. It's not like it was it would have taken much. I mean it would have been to like eighty one minutes or whatever, sorry, eighty five, eighty four minutes or whatever. So it sound like they would have really cut a ton. It's just kind of weird. Again, I thought, I thought all the kids. To me, this was if you see this movie and then go, okay, put it in the timeframe of where Disney was, It's perfectly where it was shot and filmed and everything. It's right in that that that mecca. You can see it. Of course, we've seen Disney just explode and just build and be so much better than this. So this isn't one of the best d coms. But for me, it was the nostalgia. It was sure. It was the movies that I was watching all the time, and you know, there they aren't always great. Like I said, or like you said, I think what would have made this even better would have been more surfing, you know. But then I just don't know where they would have found those child actors to be able to do that, or because this was really well casted in her being thirteen, find doubles that age. Yeah, maybe you know what I mean, Like, we.
Speaker 1: Know there's got to be some thirteen year old killer surfers in Hawaii, in Australia, Ortia.
Speaker 2: There should there could have been, but that's not where we know that. That's not Disney's like place. They don't do a lot, so they don't have a lot of intel, I guess. So anyway, I thought it was good and it was really fun to rewatch because it was a movie that I saw when I was younger, and I enjoyed it, and the auditioned for and I auditioned for it, and I remember being bummed when it came out, going, Man, that would have been cool. I would have loved to like learn how to surfn more than what I know right now, and YadA, YadA whatever. I'm going to give it a seven. Julie Tsunamis because I did like it. I remember liking it. There were definitely some flaws. I wanted more. I would have loved to give this an eight and a half time.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree.
Speaker 2: I couldn't because I wanted more surfing.
Speaker 1: Yep, I agree with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But I could go to movie.
Speaker 1: I'm actually gonna change I'm going to change my vote. I'm going to change my number, which I don't think I've ever done before. And I'm gonna agree with you at a seven because the kids were good.
Speaker 2: The kids were and for the time how much adults we got in it too. It wasn't too adults, and it wasn't two kids where the adults just weren't involved. They were. The storylines of the adults were awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're right. I could give it a seven and live with that. So it's going to be seven.
Speaker 2: Guys, I'm starting to rub off on the you are you are?
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, Hey, I'm rubbing off on you. You dropped.
Speaker 2: Things are happened here on Magical Now, I'm telling you, we're rubbing off on each other. And I gave him a math bomb. Let's just let's just say that that's what it was.
Speaker 1: It did it boosted it up. Thank god. Our next movie O people, we are doing our first threequel ever. We're gearing up for the debut of Zombies four with our recap of Zombies three. We can't wait any longer. We need to catch up on the franchise. It is time for the newest installment and obviously this one is available to stream now in Disney Plus, so you can get ahead of the podcast now and check it out, and for more info, you can follow us at Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. Bye everybody, iye