Speaker 1: Hi everyone.
Speaker 2: I'm Holly Robinson, pete, actor, author, advocate, do it All mom, and I'm also a caregiver. And this is care Walks, a podcast from iHeartRadio and Voltaian Arthritis Pain Gel. It's a show for family caregivers who give everything to everyone and need to make time for themselves through movement. Every episode is designed for you to walk as you listen, so just think of me and my guests as your weekly walking buddies.
Speaker 1: We'll hear stories.
Speaker 2: From caregivers and gain tips and insights from health experts and advocates who know how important it is to take care of yourself and manage joint pain due to arthritis that often a companies being a caregiver.
Speaker 1: Welcome to our very first episode of care Walks. Everyone.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you're here and I'm so excited to be here with you. You may not know this about me, but my own journey as a family caregiver started when I was just nineteen years old. My father, Matt Robinson, who some of you may remember originated the role of Gordon on Sesame Street, was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. I loved my dad so much so when I was a freshman in college and his health started to deteriorate. The choice was very clear to me. While I was in school. I chose to also be my dad's primary caregiver. It was not an easy road, and I took care of him for twenty pretty challenging years, but I will never regret being able to spend that time with my dad. It gave us the chance to repair some of the issues we had in our relationship, and I was able to see him in a totally different light. And it was just such an important and influential time in my life. I only wish a show like care Walks was around then. There was so much I didn't know when I was starting my caregiving journey with my dad.
Speaker 1: I felt so lost at the start.
Speaker 2: So my goal is to make sure this podcast makes you feel a little little less alone in your caregiving journey and gives you some valuable resources to help you also take care of yourself. Now, a couple of things to note about our show. As I mentioned earlier, this show is meant for you to take a walk as you listen, So right now you're listening to the full version of this episode, which means you'll get a decent walk in if you're moving with us the whole time. But if you don't have time for a full walk today, then go check out our bridged version of this same episode. It's like cliff Notes for podcasts, so no matter how much time you have, you won't miss out on a great conversation. All right, now that that's settled, let's dig into this episode today. We're talking about taking care of ourselves when we're taking care of others. How do you make yourself a priority in it all? You know, I think this is honestly the hardest thing about being a caregiver. You give, and you give so much, and everyone relies on you to take care of things, and then when it comes to taking time for you can almost feel selfish. But the reality is self care is so important when you're a family caregiver. You cannot fill from an empty cup. Remember that you cannot run yourself into the ground and be the best version of yourself for the people you love. Taking time to care for yourself and do things that are good for your health, like taking a walk, will make you that much better at everything you do for others. To help us better understand the importance of self care for caregivers. I'm gonna chat with Nadine Robert's Cornish later. Nadine is the founder of The Caregiver's Guardian, and she's gonna help us get over the idea that we need to always put others first and give us advice on easy ways to start taking care of our needs. But before we get into today's conversation, let's begin our walk every week. I'm going to help you start your walk with a mindfulness exercise, So let's get started. First off, celebrate yourself and your body for showing up today and finding time to get active when you're a caregiver. I know it can be really tough, but it is so important, and I want you to keep telling yourself this every time a thought pops up, reminding you of other things that you have to get done today.
Speaker 1: So when you have a moment.
Speaker 2: Take a breath, a deep breath in through your nose and let that air fill your lungs. Feel the sensation of your stomach and your chest rising with your breath, and now breathe out through your mouth and let everything in your body relax as you release that air. Self care is what lets us refuel to be the best.
Speaker 1: Version of ourselves.
Speaker 2: Now, I want you to find a good pace to settle into for the rest of the show, And as you do that, I'm going to share my conversation with our guest, Nadine Roberts Cornish, and together we're going to keep you company and learn more about how we can take better care of ourselves as we care for others. Today, I'm joined by Nadine Roberts Cornish, the founder of The Caregiver's Guardian LLC. She founded the organization after her own experience of being a caregiver to her mother for fifteen years. Nadine discusses her story in her book Tears in My Gumbo, The Caregiver's Recipe for Resilience. Nadine, Welcome to care Walks.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Tally, It's great to see you. Great to be here.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love the title of your book, Tears in My Gumbo. Can you tell us a little bit about what your experience as a caregiver has been like?
Speaker 3: Absolutely so. My personal experience of fifteen years caring for my mom was the experience of a lifetime one. It was an opportunity for me to give back to the person who gave me life right. But it was probably the most challenging and difficult experience I have ever encountered. And as a result, my fifteen year experience caring for my mom, it literally prepared me and set me up for the work that I was placed here to do. And so it's been a heck of a journey. It's been now almost twenty five years of supporting caregivers across the country and helping caregivers recognize that they must, in fact make themselves the number one priority in their lives. What I tell all of my caregivers is that none of us choose this path, and we're having to wear hats or step into a role that we didn't see coming, and in some instances we did see it coming, but we still weren't ready for It is the most transformative journey you're ever gonna travel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's so many caregivers we expect you, We really expect the journey to be as we anticipate it, or we expect that who we are and how we show up is good enough. But it really requires us to change who we are.
Speaker 2: It does, and you're never really prepared for how that manifests itself. Now just kind of have to go with the flow, and that is one of the hardest parts, at least for me. What would you say caregiving means to you? What does that term mean?
Speaker 3: So what's interesting is that probably for my first six or seven years of caregiving, I didn't see myself as a caregiver. I certainly didn't think I was wearing the caregiver's hat. I was a devoted daughter doing the best I could for the best mom in the world. It probably took a good six or seven years before I really recognized that term as being applicable to me. One I thought I was too young and too cute to be a caregiver, okay, and so I wasn't really ready or willing to embrace that title. But when I really came to understand what it was that I was doing, especially from an advocacy perspective, I was my mother's number one advocate. And when I think I was more willing to embrace that than I was the term caregiving. Because of the stigma associated with with caregiving and the fact that I just really didn't see myself as a care giver until my mother suffered a stroke and then I began the twenty four to seven journey of caring for her around the clock. Then I began to feel and identify as a caregiver.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the stigma of caregiving.
Speaker 2: I'd like to talk a little bit about that and what actually is that and how has that evolved over the years.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of people, especially professional women, don't want to associate with the term caregiving because they feel like it could have an impact on their professional life, their career, the trajectory of that career, and so we reject those things that we don't want to self identify with. And many of the caregivers that I've worked with over the years have rejected the term and they will say, I'm a care partner. They will say, you know, look, I take care of my loved one, but I don't wear the caregiver hat or I don't identify as a caregiver. The unfortunate part about that is that when you don't identify as a caregiver, you oftentimes will close the door to resources that are available to you, very necessary resources that will support you through the journey, that will afford you the opportunity to do the best possible job of caring for your loved one as you navigate the journey.
Speaker 2: Nadine, what do you wish you knew before becoming a caregiver? What would have helped you on your journey?
Speaker 3: That is a great question. I wish I had known that saying yes to the caregiving journey meant that I would be required to change in such a way that I would be able to grow and to meet the demand of the journey. And that meant that means giving up some of the things that I thought were so important to me, being willing to do that so that I could change and find and meet a better version of myself. I had this idea that my life was set in terms of what it was that I was doing professionally. I had met my husband, and I was pretty good, and I didn't need any new scenario. I didn't need a new episode. I was really feeling good about where I was, And the need to change means that when life changes, you have to be willing to change as well. You don't get to play the same mode recording. You have to learn. You have to be open to the idea of learning and doing things that you never thought you'd ever do.
Speaker 2: You mentioned becoming an advocate for your mother as you took on the role of caregiving, But how did you approach advocating for yourself at that time? How did you find your own voice during a time. And that's just it's very hard to speak up for yourself.
Speaker 3: This is good because it's so necessary. I had an advantage with a background in public health. I knew how to advocate for my mother. What I didn't know was how to step back to take care of myself, to let other people take charge so that I could recharge, so that I could really do the necessary work on myself, so that I was ready. Yes, oftentimes we get really, we get it really twisted. We think that we are supposed to give and give and give and do and do until there is nothing left.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And we also have this complex around stopping to take care of ourselves. Yes, this guilt associated for so many people, and this this warped idea that self care, taking care of yourself is a selfish act, when in fact it is mandatory. Yes, and my book I talk about it not it being non negotiable. Yes, you cannot take care of someone else if you are not making yourself a priority. In the program and if you are not finding a way, and I don't really subscribe so much to balance, because balance, to me is a fallacy. Yes, harmony, however impossible, You can find harmony, and creating harmony when you are caring for a loved one is absolutely essential, and sometimes that means giving up on the idea of who's supposed to support you along this journey. A lot of us get really caught up in the idea that our siblings are supposed to help carry the weight, and many times, in many families that simply isn't the case, but because the sibling isn't willing to do it, we say no to everyone else in community that would be willing to support us. And so really releasing the idea of who it must be and accepting whoever it is that shows up to support you in the journey is essential.
Speaker 2: That is a word right there. I have a brother and after my father passed, my brother said to me, you know, wow, you know you did a really good job taking care of him. I said, it was really hard. I needed a lot of help. And he said, well, why didn't you ask for it?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I didn't ask, but could you see how hard. I was working, and you you didn't offer.
Speaker 2: And so I'm always telling people who ask, you know, ask for the help, because a lot of times we don't. We think that somebody sees how hard we're working and how stressed we are, and they're just supposed to step up and out of the goodness of their heart do it. But a lot of times they don't know how. And he said, I thought you had it. You look like you had everything. So it's interesting when you mentioned siblings. That's the first thing I thought of.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, that's so good. And I appreciate that he told told you that, and you're sharing that with us because it is essential. It's essential to ask for help, and in some instances it's necessary to demand help. Yes, demanding my families. I say, hey, it's your time or your resources that are needed. This responsibility, especially as it pertains to siblings, should not fall on the shoulders of one individual. Yes, it takes a community, takes a village.
Speaker 1: It definitely, definitely does.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back with more from Nadine Roberts Cornish And now back to my conversation with Nadine Robert's Cornish. How do you recharge Nadine, what are your most vital self care practices?
Speaker 3: Prayer and meditation?
Speaker 1: Now, okay, good, good, good, talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 3: If you don't have a spiritual practice, if you don't even know what that is, caregiving will demand that you seek it out. You have to tap into something larger than yourself in order to adequately complete this assignment. And for me, that is prayer, that is meditation, that is writing and journally. That is my recharge. And that's a daily practice. That's not something that's done on an occasional basis. It is a discipline, a discipline around and making sure that I'm recharging and I'm filling my cup because caregiving will empty it every single day. There will not be a drop.
Speaker 1: Left, Yes, it will.
Speaker 2: And how important movement as a part of your own self care. You talked about journaling and praying, meditation, but how important is movement And what are your favorite ways to stay physically active?
Speaker 3: And movement is essential? I am now knocking on the door of sixty two, and I'm on that being active, being physically fit is really important to me. Dancing is a regular part of my regiment. I love music, I love moving my body. I can't necessarily do all of the latest moves, but I can give it a whirl.
Speaker 1: Right, I'll bet you can do most of them. Hey, I give it a good try. That's for sure.
Speaker 3: Getting to the gym, and when I can't get to the gym walking, I'm a power walker and cycling with something that I never saw. I didn't never saw myself as a cyclist, but during the summer months, I live in beautiful Colorado and we have some of the best mountain paths and trails in the country, and I take full advantage of it. I'm a cyclist, so I move my body. It is absolutely essential.
Speaker 2: You know, you've been very open about the challenges of caregiving and how hard it can be to prioritize oneself. How do you convince other caregivers to take time for themselves.
Speaker 3: So every Monday I talk to caregivers across the country, calling all caregivers is the call that we hold twelve noon Mountain standard time, and we welcome caregivers from across the country and we hold court around the necessity of self care and why it is non negotiable and what it is that a caregiver must do, especially for those who are especially challenged with the idea of taking care of themselves. In addition to that, we do consultations and coaching calls specifically for caregivers around this issue because it is such a foreign concept unfortunately for so many caregivers, women in particularly to make themselves a priority. So that's one of the first things that we teach our caregivers is we teach them the concept of a color coded calendar and to take whatever your favorite color is and make sure that that favorite color shows up every single week. Schedule yourself, make yourself a priority on your own calendar is the first step in making time and creating time for self.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love the calendar idea. I think that's great. These are things that when I was caregiving, as I started caregiving at nineteen when my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's and I was young. Okay, I wasn't fifty seven like I am now, so I didn't have to worry about.
Speaker 1: Arthritis and my knees or any of that stuff.
Speaker 2: But I never thought that I should stop to take care of myself. My job was to take care of my dad, and that's what I was going to do, you know. And so what would you say, this is the simplest thing you would recommend to others to practice self care? And how do you help others find their self care practices?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we talk about separating who you are from your caregiving responsibilities. And the first question we ask is what is it that you love to do before you became a caregiver, And so we start from there. You know, what are the three things that you love to do? Those things were important to you, then why are they not important to you now? And oftentimes people realize, wow, it's still important to me, I just don't make the time for it. Yes, one of the things that tends to go by the wayside as relationships. Ah, I used to you know, take time and I would spend time with my girls. Well, no, you don't have the time to do that like you did, but certainly you could probably find a day in the month where you're able to have that girl's night out. Mm hmm, right, if that's important to you. For some people, it's going to church. I would go to church and that would give me such an uplifting experience and I would feel so much better. And so it's like, Okay, let's figure out how we can get and find support for you so that you're able to go to church, so that you're able to do that thing that's most important to you.
Speaker 2: Could you maybe share a mantra that caregivers can use to start or even add to their mindfulness and meditation journey.
Speaker 3: One would be caregiving is what I do, It is not who I am. It's really important for the caregiver to separate themselves and not to be so incredibly engulfed in the caregiving experience that they confused the role of caregiving with their being.
Speaker 1: Oh, I absolutely love that.
Speaker 2: I love that when you started to really understand the importance of self care, How did that practice change caregiving for you?
Speaker 3: Well, when you feel better about yourself, you feel better about what you have to do, you feel better about the task of caregiving. You show up as a better version of yourself. You're not quite as miserable, not quite as grumpy or unhappy as you become when you don't make self care priority. I was really fortunate in having my husband as my monitor. He would constantly check in to say, Hey, you're looking a little tired or more so than usual. Your voice, you know, there's a little edge to your voice. To time out right, go and take a couple of hours, right, And so I was fortunate to have that, and I really believe that was absolutely a seed for me and the work that I do, because I understand how important it is for the caregiver to have that monitor, to have that support person who says, you know what, it's time for you to take a time out. You have earned a rest, you need to take a day, plan a couple days, plan a weekend, what have you?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And so as the caregivers guardian, that is very much.
Speaker 1: What we do.
Speaker 3: What I do every day with caregivers is that reminder that monitor.
Speaker 2: Nadine Roberts Cornish, thank you so much for being a part of care Walks today. Your book tiers in my gumbo the caregivers Recipe for Resilience is out. Everybody should get that. I really appreciate having this conversation with you today. Thank you for being an amazing care giver.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Holly. It's been great and I really appreciate all that you are doing for caregivers across this country.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I want to thank Nadine again for being my guest today. I really appreciate our conversation touching on the stigmas of caregiving, learning to prioritize your self care and being mindful of burnout to avoid losing your identity and caregiving, I for one fully relate to the struggles around making yourself a priority. That's it for today's episode. Thank you once again to Nadine Roberts, Cornish and don't forget to come back next week for another walk, where our guest doctor Amanda Nelson will share how movement and physical activity can help us take better care of ourselves and combat joint pain. And remember keep walking and don't forget to take care of yourself too. Care Walks is Pretty u by iHeartRadio in partnership with voltairean Arthritis Pain Gel and hosted by me Holly Robinson Pete. Our executive producer is Molly Sosha. Our head engineer is Matt Stillo. This episode was written and produced by Sierra Kaiser, with special thanks to our partners at GSK Platform, GSK, Weber, Shandwick and Edelman