Speaker 1: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Peanut to Himan, and this is the NFL Player's Second Acts podcast with me, as always my chursity co host.
Speaker 3: This Roman Harbor. What's up baby?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 3: Dog? I like that shirt? Thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Man, just learning that you can't count because you went from one, two to ten and it's easily just to say three and then start, but you don't like to do anything that way. So let's just jump right to I guess uh yeah. He is an Alabama guy. He's from Alabama. Introduce the introduce you're stepping on my toes. I don't even have my nose in front of me. Okay, all right, I'm gonna make you do this one.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: He's a defensive back that played for the Cowboys, Broncos, Bills. He is in the University of Alabama or u A B. All right, University of Alabama, Birmingham's Hall of Fame, and he's now CEO of RCX Sports, which is a leader in you sports in all different sports. Welcome to the podcast Isael Reese and fellas.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, thank you. I like that shirt too, man, I might have to.
Speaker 2: I get you off my back when I'm done. I'm that type of guy. You are that kind of guy I am. All right, So isaill kind of kind of go through your path, your journey.
Speaker 3: You walk on at UA B, you earn.
Speaker 2: A scholarship, and then you end up playing seven eight years in the league.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, man. It was called it the Cinderella story if you will.
Speaker 1: Man. Yeah, going to U A B. People didn't even know what had a program.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, because this was this was because you're in the nineties.
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, yeah, you ain't be in the nineties. Was very very much so startup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I blame in the nineties ninety nine. Yeah, I mean, but they were around, but they still were early days, that's right, That's right. Yeah, they were recruiting me in two thousand and one. Why don't you It was well, you know what happened Alabama for me, and like they didn't have like a makeshift gym, like it was already done.
Speaker 3: It was like he knows, Yeah, yeah it was they were still building. You didn't want to be a part of that, no.
Speaker 1: Yeah it see see then you could have joined that history train. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: It's fine. I'm I'm in I made another Hall.
Speaker 4: Of Fame, right but uh but no, man, walking on there was you know, it was a great experience, you know, and making a trail, you know, trying to open up some more doors and playing in college and not getting that opportunity, especially being from a state like Alabama.
Speaker 1: You know, I was thinking about two schools, and so when.
Speaker 4: UAB called me, it was just like, hey, would you be interested in coming here? And then I was about to go into the military. Oh, I couldn't afford to play, couldn't afford to go to college, and so I was like, you know, I want to go to college. So I was going to take the military route, and uh, days away, the coach from U A B.
Speaker 1: Called their quarterback had.
Speaker 4: Just transferred from Southern miss His dad was my high school coach, and he's like, I got this guy out here. I don't know how he's still here. You should just call him. So they called me up. It was like, hey, we love to have you.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: We don't have no scholarships for you, but I heard a lot about you.
Speaker 4: If you want to give it a shot, and you know, I said, man, I don't want to leave myself with a what if let me just try and see where it goes. And so that was kind of how it all started for me, man, and then I just had a phenomenal career. Started as a freshman.
Speaker 3: You walked on and started.
Speaker 4: Walked on, started all four years and recruited.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah man.
Speaker 4: So it was, uh, it was a good journey man, and then it got drafted by the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Nobody ever been drafted from U A. B.
Speaker 4: You the first first pick me, and then another dB Dana and Sidney he went to uh, he went to the Titans. So me and I both came out ninety eight, so we both came out the same year.
Speaker 3: That's so good.
Speaker 2: And so I got to know this too now because so when you get there and you walk on, because you probably have zero expectations where you're a little nervous and you're like.
Speaker 3: I'm just happy to be here. Yeah, then that what point do you get out there like, man, I'm better than a lot of these dudes out here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well I honestly, man, I went in with that mentality because I didn't feel like I should have been a walk on. You know, I just kind of got caught up in that whole journey of recruiting and this and that and not really knowing where it was gonna go. But I knew I could play, and so I kind of went in more with a chip on my shoulder of wanting to prove myself versus being nervous.
Speaker 1: And so I was, I was. I was out for it, man.
Speaker 4: I was like, look, I got nothing to lose and so and everything the game, because if I can show myself then hopefully, you know, they can give me some funding so I can afford this, you know, so I can get my education. So and I just I just left it all on the line, man. And it just as soon as I got out there, you know, it was it was pretty evident I knew I could play.
Speaker 2: What would you say one of your best characteristic characteristics were you know, that that hot that guided you along.
Speaker 4: That journey man, just you know, being a defensive player. Yeah, I think at aggressing into that competitiveness of the game and wanting to just compete, man, wanting to prove yourself. I being a dB. You know, you get out, you get out on the island, you out there free safing you that last line of this fence.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I just I've always had that kind of mentality, and so I would say just the competitiveness of just want to compete, you know, and just you know, wanting to prove yourself. So for me, I think that was that was the biggest thing for me.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: It just it showed on the field and everything. I've been able to put myself on and off the field too.
Speaker 1: Man. I kind of.
Speaker 4: Still take those characteristics with me in terms of business life and how I go about things too.
Speaker 1: So well have.
Speaker 2: So No, you you clearly have shown the mentality and that what you're doing, right. You told us about this, the sense of who you are, this mindset of going to you a b walk on getting drafted that year, to the Cowboys first, right, yeah, right, go to the Cowboys first? And how do you how do you take that in? You're a small school guy that a lot of people have not even heard of. They've heard of schools in Alabama, but it probably wasn't yours. Yeah, and then how do you stick? So what is that mentality? Because now you're like, dude, I'm right back at it. Yeah, I gotta get right back into the mud.
Speaker 4: I don't know how now, If anything, that's what the nervousness was Okay, you get draft, you go to the league. I'm going to the Cowboys as a dB. You got Darren Woodson, Kevin Smith, Dion Sanders, George t You know, they don't want my guys, man, But to walk into that, I'm like, I just want to make this team, you know, like, and that was a six round draft pick, and so at that point, you know, you're already just going like, look, I don't have nothing to lose. I'm just gonna leave it out. But I got some great guys in front of me to learn from from. And uh, you know, fortunate, you know, to have that kind of secondary in front of me playing with to learn from. And man, they treated me like a little brother. So I mean, so just to take that in as a dB, man, I couldn't have picked a better secondary to be a part of coming out.
Speaker 2: Then the uab's education piece, I think people understand how hard.
Speaker 3: Of the school it is.
Speaker 2: It is academically, academically, it's top notes. It's the best school in the state, especially as far as like the medicals, the medical school.
Speaker 3: The hospital, that whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all that.
Speaker 2: You take the educational piece from ua B, how do you think that that helped you apply yourself as far as like in the NFL as well, Like, could you just feel more confident that I could confidently learn and take on anything that this thing has.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean that whole thing of being a student athlete and going to a program like UAB. I mean I was an honest student in high school, so so going into colleging and getting in and getting that opportunity to do that and also be a student athlete at a collegiate level, it just it's set such a good foundation for me. And then coming into the league and they handing you a playbook this big yeah, you know, and you're trying to learn it and so forth. So just being a student of the game as well. I prided myself on that. I was my main position. I played virtually every position in the league in the secondary, but I was a free safety.
Speaker 1: I mean that was my position.
Speaker 4: So being that kind of quarterback, if you will, in the secondary and learning the game, I was able.
Speaker 1: To do that.
Speaker 4: I had a very good dB coach as well to kind of teach me the game, John Neal, coach of Oregon Fever too.
Speaker 1: He was my dB coach man. So just I prided myself on just.
Speaker 4: Knowing the game, not only knowing what DB's were doing, but what are the linebackers doing, what are the front line doing, and just you know, just being a student of the game as well, so.
Speaker 2: Being a being a six round draft pick and trying to make that team with what you just mentioned are the Deando Darren Woodson's Did.
Speaker 1: You have to play special teams? Oh yeah, oh yeah, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 4: When when you first go out, that's the first thing they say, Hey, you want to make this team.
Speaker 1: Make a name for yourself on special.
Speaker 2: Teams, just like that, no more, man, Yeah, they really don't make guys.
Speaker 1: They don't well. And then in Dallas, I mean.
Speaker 2: Have respect for guys that don't play special teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this guy right.
Speaker 2: Here never played a special team in the NFL a day in his life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he don't know. So Avazono, people know that they had the long hair recorded. I mean special teams, coach Man, we had the number one special teams across the board. So you didn't have a choice. In Dallas, then you didn't have a choice because you had you had Darren Woodson on a punt team Pro Bowl on the punt team. So so you know you come into that. That's just that's just the way Dallas culture was.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love that culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that culture.
Speaker 3: Kick me.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, you're not sorry. I'm sorry, you're right, So don't even.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Sorry, he totally missed out.
Speaker 1: Being on a kickoff team, the real kickoff team. Back in the day.
Speaker 3: I did some kickoff coverage.
Speaker 4: Okay, well you like the safety man in the back, they don't count. Yeah, if you if you ain't like the two to the five, yes, you know, and I was the five.
Speaker 1: So we're coming right down the middle. Wedge bust, wedge buster.
Speaker 3: Well, when you're fast five, you're actually.
Speaker 4: Exactly you're getting it before the Yeah, you gotta beat it because you get it.
Speaker 1: You cam that got me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So just take it back to your rookie man, I'd be your rookieer.
Speaker 1: What was we all have that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Dang, this is the league?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was your welcome to the NFL moment?
Speaker 1: Man? It was it practice. I'm welcome to the NFL moment.
Speaker 4: So again, I played at Dallas, so uh, I'm laughing because Larry Allen is in it. So my my welcome to the NFL. Is the La moment at practice. And so I'm playing safety at the time, and you know, you got to come down for run support. You know, they kind of run. LA is pulling on the play and I gotta you know, I gotta turn the run inside.
Speaker 1: Right. So I'm getting this. I mean when I say.
Speaker 4: Low, I mean my elbow on the ground low and hic come La coming around the corner, man and he just like a Ronald, just plows me up.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: And I go skirting back like twenty thirty yards. And so I'm sitting on the ground laughing, everybody laughing. But that was my La come pick me up because La was my homeboy.
Speaker 1: Rest in peace.
Speaker 4: He was a good dude, man, and another guy that you know, kind of took me in as a little brother. But that was my That was my welcome, welcome to the league moment. It was their practice. Yeah, but that was funny, man. That was That was a moment man. But again, Larry was a good dude too.
Speaker 2: So we always like to talk about numbers, you know, or football players like we like numbers.
Speaker 1: I do, all right.
Speaker 2: I wore forty one, all right. I got that number in college because it was my dad. I first of all, they gave it to me. Then I found out was my dad's number, and I was like, okay, I'll keep it.
Speaker 3: But I enjoyed forty one.
Speaker 2: Why because the four is big, but the is slimming, and so it fits my body type. Slimming made it work. Yeah, forty three though for you for Tray, Yeah, used to making it sound cooler than what I think.
Speaker 3: For Tray, it does feel better and naturally already feel to.
Speaker 2: It already, Yeah, Tray, I like it. Yeah, Okay, you're already selling me on this because because the four is big and the three is another big number.
Speaker 4: Big numbers, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, well, we got a similar story. Okay, they gave it to me, and being a walk on, I don't get to pick a number. Here you go, here, you go, walk on, And so they handed me to it. Man, I wore forty four, and uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's so's I's heavy like a full back.
Speaker 1: I played linebacker in high school. I could hit.
Speaker 4: I could hit and uh me and Kevin Jackson you know that now. I do know Kevin Jackson, Kevil, Alabama for a long time.
Speaker 1: Kenya from Dothan we played together. He and I were the linebackers.
Speaker 3: I didn't know you played with keV.
Speaker 4: Yep, yeah, yep, yep. He's back in Dothan coaching high school coaching. So yeah, we were the two linebackers together. Kevin was a little bit before me and so we were just two small linebackers that could just hit, you know, basically DB's trying to play linebacker. And I can't remember Kevin was seven. I think he always wore seven. But uh, yeah, I wore forty four.
Speaker 1: Man. I think that was another number that was handed to me as a freshman.
Speaker 2: So you kept it through college.
Speaker 4: I know I kept I had forty four, but when I got to college and asked for forty four that I was like, no, no, it's just taken. We're gonna give you forty three, closest thing next to it. And my dad never told me similar story. I got forty three. He didn't actually tell me this until I got draft. I don't know why I waited so long. My dad told me I war forty three in high school, so I didn't know that either. Man, So I had just made a name for myself with that number. Man got used to it. They used called me for a trade, and so when I got to Dallas, they had it for him. I already had handed it to me, so I was like, yeah, and I kept it. Keep it through a league.
Speaker 2: History is way better than yours.
Speaker 3: Well, it sounds better when he calls it for That's.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It sounds way better, way better than for you.
Speaker 2: Just say forty one. It's real slimming.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: That's the only thing you got.
Speaker 3: The one is slimming, the four is big, the one is slimming.
Speaker 1: It's ok.
Speaker 3: It's okay, Yeah, it's okay. I accepted. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you played both corner and safety. Yeah, I did play. I played both. I'm a corner safety. Yeah, which one was harder to.
Speaker 4: Play corner for me? So, you know, I natural free safety that was my position. Could play some strong you know, you always got to be an interchange with the safety position. But getting out on that island was it was different. And then not doing until you got into the league. Yeah, so different animal, But again being trying to be a student of the game and learning from prim them and those guys. It definitely kind of that's what got me into playing corner because I mean, I had such good guys playing in front of me, and you're always trying to learn as much as the game as you can. But man, just watching watching Prime, watching Kevin Smich, watching those guys play the position and constantly coaching on the field. I think that had more to do with me going into the corner position a little bit as well too, So because I could always we were unique too because I could. I could cover the slot yep. And so at one point we played a forty two defense the whole season, and so here it is. We had five DB's and that was our natural defense. Mike Zimmer was our dB defensive defensive coordinator at the time, and so I would come in and so me and t were the safest, and Woody was so big Darren Woodson, he could come down and play week linebackers. So we played that as our standard package for a whole year one year when I was in Dallas.
Speaker 1: So and that was man.
Speaker 4: We were able to do a lot with Dian you just left him on the island and I always have to come over in motion with slot man.
Speaker 1: It allowed us to do a lot of different things with a pretty solid secondary.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, you ain't ever play no no special teams.
Speaker 3: So you were in Dallas with Langham too, I'm not Laygham. Sorry, T. I apologize yeoh with T. Yeah, you weren't there when the whole t O fight thing.
Speaker 1: I was on the field when it happened.
Speaker 2: This is exactly what I was anticipating. Let's talk about that. So the first time it happens, Teo gets a touchdown. First of all, I'm a forty nine Ers fan, so I'm elated.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm big.
Speaker 3: T O fan.
Speaker 2: He gets an end zone, does his thing. Then the Emmett comes in, goes to does his thing, takes his helmet off, adds a little bit more juice to it, yep, before the Emmitt rule. Yeah okay, and then Too scores again, said you know what, I'm gonna one up. And I've talked to Tig about this since. Then te runs down H's too on the star Yeah, and all hell breaks loose. Okay, So what are you thinking? How are you going to respond to something on the sidelines go off? Where like, bro, if this happens again, We're gonna do something. Some of those things, it's.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's already brewing. I mean, that's one of those match ups, you already just dislike each other. Just it just goes with the territory, so you can feel it. During the whole game. Woody had already got kicked out of the game, Darren Woodson, so me and Tigue were the safeties. So when t I didn't even see the play. I kind of saw. I saw the touchdown, and then I turn around and I just see t taking off and I couldn't even see too. And you know, just natural instinct. You see your teammate running, you start running.
Speaker 1: So here it is. I'm running.
Speaker 4: I'm probably ten yards behind Tea. I don't even know why I'm running.
Speaker 1: We just running.
Speaker 4: So and then I see him just lay Tea out on the Star Man. I turn around and I just look behind me.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. I'm glad I did.
Speaker 4: And here's one of forty nine ers, Liman just just barreling down at me, and I just kind of olaid him and he went on his face. So that whole play was wild, man. So it was other things happening besides what just happened on the Star were else. The bench is about to clear, it's about to get ugly, man, and I'm glad it kind of came out, man, because it was it was about to be a.
Speaker 3: Were there any words said that, like, you know, if he does that again, we're gonna go get him.
Speaker 4: There was no word to He didn't say a word, man, He just took off. I was like, man, you gotta tell us, you gotta let us know what your game plan is.
Speaker 1: But no, he just it just like a switch hit and he just took off after it. Man.
Speaker 2: So the true definition we must protect this house.
Speaker 4: That's right, yeah, protect the star man. So that was Yeah, that was a funny moment. But uh yeah, so I almost got oldlaied already been a second highlight on that, so that that lineman caught me.
Speaker 1: So that would have been really funny if you would have been hilarious.
Speaker 3: She was like, bro, I wasn't even doing nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, I didn't even know what was going on.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take a short break and we'll be right back. Tell me this.
Speaker 2: So did you get right into youth sports right after retirement? What kind of inspired you to kind of take that path. I'm pretty sure youth sports was a big thing in your life, But what made you say, all right, rc X, this is where I'm going this is what.
Speaker 4: I Yeah, yeah, I think I think we all experienced it when we played. I mean just you know, and even after, but just being being a role model, you know, going and speaking with kids, working with kids in any type of camp. I'm sure you all have done a lot of those as well. I just I thoroughly enjoyed it. And even when I was in Dallas and Denver, Buffalo, I would always do things within the youth in the community. It was just, you know, something I was passionate about. I never thought about it as a career or a transition into that like what I'm doing now. But I enjoyed doing it.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 4: You know, when I hung up the cleats, if you will, I started doing it a little bit more. One thing led to the next. I was actually working with this organization called Next College Student Athlete, and so it actually think of like guidance counselors for student athletes, if you will, just kind of helping them find their path, find the right fit for them. And I joined the organization because I walked on in college and I just wanted to help kids find their path because you know, here it is I got to live out my dreams and be a college student athlete make.
Speaker 1: It to the pros. And I said, all right, I want to do this.
Speaker 4: I want to I want to get involved with this, and that kind of spurred and opened the door. NFL called a couple of years ago, said hey, can you want to camp for us at the Super Bowl? And you all probably remember this rivals camps and combines what they ranked kids for I've been running rivals camps and combines for ten years. So I took over running and running rivals camps and combines for years. And the NFL saw that and said running camp for us, you get one hundred kids. It was during the Super Bowl. Five hundred kids showed up. You know, we created great experience. Next thing you know, they call about NFL flag that door opens and then I get a call from the NBA as well.
Speaker 1: Wanted to do things.
Speaker 4: Man, it just kind of it just kind of skyrocketed there. So now as CEO and founder of RCX Sports, I work across six pro leagues, so NHL, NBA, Major League Soccer, NBA, w n b A, you name it. And then I also just partner with USTA getting more kids involved with tennis. So I'm running all these different youth initiatives and youth programming across multiple pro leagues.
Speaker 2: Now, can you play tennis a little bit?
Speaker 4: A little bit, man, I got I got a little bit more involved with tennis. I wish, I wish somebody gave me a tennis right growing up. You know, you started thinking about it. My kids are really into tennis and they actually start playing during the pandemic. Now there was nothing to do with It was a tennis court down the street and we all were getting chubby. I was like, all right, let's go do something. So and they fell in love with it. They still play. My son is thirteen. I think he plays football too, but they've really gotten involved with it and he as far as hopefully playing college one day, if not football. So it's it's been cool to see man and get more kids just involved with the game. A lot of kids get priced out of certain sports. Ten has been one of them. And so you know, this has given me now an opportunity, and that's what that's what tenant Usta wanted to see, how do we get more kids involved? And I said, well, we've got to break down some of these financial barriers and so, and you know, to get more kids involved, So I said, tign me up.
Speaker 1: I love to do it.
Speaker 2: So so I've got I've got four kids, three girls, one boy. I thought my son was going to play football. I struck out with that one, which is cool. Now they got flag football in the schools, right, So we got flag football in the state of Illinois and you can put or they have flag football or for like varsity. There's a jv and a varsity for girls. And my oldest excuse me, my number two, she plays awesome linebacker. Got a couple of touchdowns it. Yeah, my twelve year old. She's just like a little female Randy Moss, like just gos up against the ball. Goose is just a complete athlete. Bad shout out to you. What do you feel and what are your thoughts on the Olympics hosting flag football?
Speaker 1: Now I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it so so I've been I've been overseeing NFL flag for five years now. For the NFL, we just hit eight hundred thousand kids participating in KFL flag boys and girls.
Speaker 1: It's massive.
Speaker 4: But I remember when, you know, when I first got that opportunity in the NFL, said, hey, reimagine what NFL flag and what flag football could be in and put a strong emphasis on kids in under resource communities and girls participating. And I remember I remember giving I called Troy Vincent actually with this. I remember giving Troy a call a couple of years ago, and I said, true, I got it. You know, because I'm spinning my wheels. How am I gonna get more girls to play football? You know, flag is cool, but I'm gonna get more girls to play? And this was about four years ago. I said, I got it. I said, we need to make flag of college sport. He looked at me like.
Speaker 1: I had three heads.
Speaker 4: He was like, okay, I said, just tell me the league will support it if we can get colleges to play. And uh so he said, He said, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Support the idea, support the idea, and that everybody else will fall in line.
Speaker 4: And put resources to build it. That's right, that's right. And so I called him about a week later.
Speaker 1: So you started this, I did, I did. You gotta give them a little bump on that one.
Speaker 3: Another, but Alabama change in the world for him.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: So so so you know, we get everybody in the room. I said, all right, try I got everybody lined up, and he said, well, I said, when you come to me and said, yeah, he said, going to beat us at NCUBA, NAI in JCAA, so junior colleges, all the collegiates associations. I said, I can already tell you who's going to be the first one. It's going to be NAI. And so sure enough we lead that meeting. NAI says we're in. You know, because high school flag had already been played. Florida has been playing at gosh fifteen plus years. I mean they've been playing it a long time, but it was only three or four states playing. Now we just hit our fifteenth. Mississippi Louisiana just sanctioned, So there's fifteen states that have now sanctioned.
Speaker 1: For girls to be to play.
Speaker 4: But it's now because of NAI and JUCO came on board. Then n c DOUBLEA, Division three, Division two, and Alabama again showing some love. Alabama State just became the first D one and also HBCU to offer flag football for women in college. So this year we're looking at sixty plus colleges and universities that would be offering women the opportunity to play in college and counting is that's big?
Speaker 2: You You created that you you planted that seat, and it.
Speaker 4: Was I planned to see NFL you know, back then, put some resources to it. The collegiate associations all came on board. I had a lot of good, strong relationships and mine, y'all was in recruiting before, so my collegiate association relationships were strong. Uh So, you know, so we've opened that door. And then we just recently submitted the application to the n C double A for flag as an emerging sport. And that's the step you take when you want to get flagged to be a championship sport. And so they called and asked us if we would submit application for that. We uh, we did a couple of months ago. So we may get the news any day now. And that's where sports sit, that's trying to go through the path. So a lot of women's sports, women's wrestling, beach volleyball. You know, I followed the path and took notes of these other sports that went in and got into a championship status. So those doors opened, man, And to your point early in LA twenty eight, and that opportunity of now seeing it in Olympics too, which is huge.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like that. I say, oh man, look we've got to know you more and more just by sitting here, You've accomplished a lot.
Speaker 1: I mean you went.
Speaker 2: From walk on to NFL player, to getting out, finding a passion in U sports, building it out at your own hometown. Then all of a sudden, now planting that seed of what we just heard, the story which none of us knew. Now yeah, so yeah, now we have d one women's flag football. Yeah, all of these things. Is there anything that you take more pride in saying? Like, man that maybe you don't take pride in it now. Maybe not because you're still in it. Yeah, still grinding through your heads down, But like, man, I want you to come up out of it, come up out of it a little bit and say look back and like what do you look back and say, Man, I'm really proud of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, it would. It would definitely.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: You know, our individual accolades playing the game, uh, you know, you never forget that moment and it's a dream come true.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: But helping to open this door for women to be to play college athletics, that's that's that's man. I remember when I sat down and told my my family, you know, my daughter's seventeen, my son is thirteen were sitting at the table, and I knew it was about to happen. And for my daughter to reach over and pat me on the back and say, Dad, I'm proud of you that that man, I had to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: My eyes got water. You know, it was one of those moments. So and that that to me.
Speaker 4: Man, So so to your to your point, yeah, that that meant something that you know, to to truly make a difference in this game, yes, and giving women an opportunity we had, you know, to say, I played football and now I see girls you know, on social media and there there's signing day and so forth, and then going watching college games and uh. But but to your point though, still writing chapters, Man, I can't wait to see the UAB Alabama everywhere and they're getting four rids everywhere and playing at every university. Man, And it has that kind of momentum. So it's fifty thousand girls playing in high school now for.
Speaker 2: The high school, well my high school probably, I think we were in the state championship this year in flag football. Yeah, yeah, so we had a really good this year. It's Banana's to me. When I was growing up, all you had was the opportunity to maybe playing the powder.
Speaker 1: Puff game the same there too, man, And now.
Speaker 4: To see that's it, that's it, that's that's it. So and it's and just trying to break these doors down. And Alabama is another, you know, great example, because it wasn't a high school sport in Alabama and US being from there. So I asked the Falcons would they supported and they were like absolutely, So the Falcons helped support it with Alabma High School Athletic Association so that they could get funding to start it and make it a high school sport and sanctioned. So so just breaking these doors down, man. So the goal is we were on every state to offer it and the goal is to get all the way across the board. D one on down, HBCUs, n ai juco. Just keep doing it, man.
Speaker 2: Keep a huge advocate for Olympic flag football. I know there was talks maybe a few months ago, and I forget the gentleman's name. He was the quarterback and do se everyone was tripping on him and you know, I can't you guys can't play this sport. What are your thoughts on professional athletes that are already in the NFL wanting to go to the Olympics and play flag football.
Speaker 4: I think they should. I hope they get the chance. I wouldn't be surprised if some former players don't get more actively involved, but I hope the active players get that opportunity because what it what it reminds me of is the dream team. Absolutely, when you think about Michael Jordans and seeing that, and uh, you know you we always think like, man, it'd be cool if we could do that and meddle and represent our country. So I think they deserve that opportunity. It'll only elevate the game. But for them personally, I mean, who wouldn't want to see that, you know, and on the men's side and just see that opportunity of you know, NFL players and everybody won't see how well they can play. At the end of the day, man, NFL players will crush it. I mean I'm around the flag game a lot, and man, you start you start putting the NFL player. It's still football at the end of the day. It's just like girls getting involved. They backpall and was covering. You know, it's quarterbacks. It's football, you know, So you know it would be good so I hope that they can get in. I hope they give them an opportunity. But I wouldn't be surprised when LA twenty eight hit if you at least got some notable NFL names on that list are vying for that opportunity to represent Team USA.
Speaker 3: I just think it's cool because we didn't know what.
Speaker 2: The ninety two Dream Team was going to do to the world what it did for basketball.
Speaker 3: Right right, it changed, that's right right.
Speaker 2: So, and but once these people get to travel and all of a sudden, somebody gets to see the best of the best in football and another country. Maybe it's not twenty twenty eight. Maybe it's gonna be something after it where all of a sudden we implant or we go into another country and where people can actually see them, touch them.
Speaker 3: They because that's what it really was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got to see these players and they were like just enamored, and all of a sudden, now we look up thirty years down the road, and this basketball is a global sport. The best players are not always in America. It is dominated by foreign players outside of America that now all come here to play with the best of the best. So I would look forward to seeing like what that part of it would do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And I actually think to your point, I think flag football is definitely gonna evolve the game. You know, NFL continues to play NFL games in other countries, and it's a constant, you know, track to try to get more tackle football globally and participating. But flag has that opportunity to be to do that for both men and women, so and you know, and kind of level the playing field, if you will, a little bit, especially on the women's side. But what I've even seen in my own son, and what I'm getting to is he played flag before tackle. So my son is in uh, he's going to the ninth grade. Now I can see what flag helped him before we before we put the pads on. So you start thinking about teaching the game in that way. And I just I saw him he learned the game a little bit more, he learned it slower than you have to learn everything at once, and it just it helped tremendously. So I think it's said, I think it's that part of the game too that can on the male side anyway, definitely help and grow in the game truly globally by getting flag involved in the Olympics because it's just gonna only help the growth of that side.
Speaker 1: And of course you know women playing the game as well too, So.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no's eight, let's let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's do let's get on his flag football journey next to.
Speaker 3: Go, all right, if you really want to know.
Speaker 2: So in the lockout year in twenty ten or twenty eleven eleven, Malcolm Jenkins and myself got bored and we played flat football with the quarterback. Do said he was my wide receiver because I'm like, dude, I'm only playing quarterback. Yeah so yeah, right, so I was throwing dimes to him like in twenty eleven. Yeah, playing quarterback in the Flag Football League. Even God rest his soul. Joe Joe McKnight came out there and played too. Were just all out here, all these NFL so it can be done. It can't be done. And it was like, you know, it was competitive. We didn't know what we were doing because you know, it's rules to it, and the way they play the game is can definitely speed up speed.
Speaker 4: I got a how about how about y'all put a team together versus Team USA, like we just current Team USA.
Speaker 3: Like we construct the team, let's play the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, player and coach owner like George, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It'd be exciting.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: And y'all heard what Goodal dropped the other day? Right? No pro Flagle? Oh lord, did y'all hear that news?
Speaker 3: My knee is gonna be so sah pro flag.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what, if we do this, I'll play more golf. I'll go buy some clubs right now. You know what, let me tell you something. You have accomplished a ton, You've done a lot, You've seen a lot, and you continue to do that. Are you naturally like just this entrepreneurial mind like where does this mindset come from deep down to where you continue to have these growth processes or or do you just accomplish then go to the next goal?
Speaker 4: All right, man, I I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I feel that I feel like this is my calling and especially being in youth sportsman, And that's the only way I can explain it. But to your point of entrepreneurial mindset, I definitely have that, always have, and but but doing that and coupling it with youth sports and kind of being in this position. And and also you know, again we talk about the business aspect, but but also looking at it from a standpoint of like I don't I don't look at it from a financial growth standpoint as much as I do the participation in making sure all kids get the opportunity to play the business side of it to take care of itself. But uh So, it's more of a cause based business man. And I just I'm really passionate about what I do. And I got a great team that I've been able to mass that have been working with me years and believing in this pie and the sky vision that I had. So uh So, yeah, man, it's it's been good. It's been a blessing just to be able to do it and employ people, uh and open up doors for kids for women. Uh Man, Now a day feels like work. I know that's cliche, but uh man, I'm I'm I'm.
Speaker 1: Loving what I'm doing. I'm loving what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome. You've got a great journey, You've got a great story. Uh You're personal Mount Rushmore. You know this is people that have had influence, Coaches, teachers, family members. Just if you could pick four people that have helped shape you and mold you into the man you are today. Who would those four people be?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man, man, it's start with my parents, my mother and father first and foremost.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: You know, that's that's that's where it started. I could just stay in the family tree, h easily.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: But I would say, also, man, you know I had some college teammates because I was going through some some some difficult times.
Speaker 1: Man, we all we all do. And uh, they're like brothers.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, you get to college, you get the pro So I got some uh, some guys, Ron Sigler, Chris Daniels. Man, these uh, these are my two dudes that you know, brother from another mother. But uh, you know we mold and we you know, we look after each other.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: So they they've been strong enough. I mean, that list could go on beyond four. But man, you know I was fortunate around some good brothers and one as a high school coach now as a cardiologist, and we all play ball together, you know, and we just were formed a good bond. It's still strong to this day. So but but again I start my parents, go to my grandparents, and beyond we're just being deeply rooted in family too. Man has a lot to do with who I am and the man I am today.
Speaker 2: So I appreciate you to us and I'm so glad I asked that question because I did not know you're the man responsible for getting flagged football into college. I'm telling everybody's like, I know the godfather who put it in college like.
Speaker 4: That, I'm like the guy behind the curtain. Man, I'm putting going.
Speaker 3: I'm putting you out there.
Speaker 2: This is the man who got women's flag football into the college.
Speaker 3: Like I'm putting your face out there, like, let it be known. It's black. You want to.
Speaker 2: Come on now, creator, innovator, Yeah, motivator. I just think it's in firing. So it's a beautiful thing. And this is one thing I'd want to make sure I highlight. And it has nothing to do with all your accomplishments. It kind of goes under the radar. But just think about this for all those kids and people and parents that are listening to how important your education is. Because this man was an honor student in high school whose coach knew that he could make it in at you ab number one, and before a coach can recruit you, can he get in So the fact that you had your grades right then is what allowed you to be able to be able to say, hey, go get this guy, walk on, become a starter, go to the NFL, and then continue to pour it and change this game right now. But it all started with getting your grades right and being that person first. So you truly are all about timing. You're blessing your bright guy, I can tell, and your parents raise you right down there in doting brother.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I appreciate it. Man, Alabama, Alabama. You know we send that shout.
Speaker 2: Out just what we do baby three through four dogs.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks,