Speaker 1: Welcome to the Tutor Dixon Podcast. I think that we are now going to just start like a faith series here because we had Chris Tomlin and now we are blessed to have Kirk Cameron with us. Kirk, thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 2: Hey you had Chris Tomlin on the on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was our last episode.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know how great is Mamay just sends me into worship here in his name And in fact, I just had lunch with him maybe a month and a half ago, and we were talking about how his daughter was is really talented actress and she has these really cool opportunities to do some stuff.
Speaker 2: So he was looking for a little, you.
Speaker 3: Know, little navigation through some of the minefields of childhood acting since that's kind of you know.
Speaker 2: The yeah world as a kid. Yeah that thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: No, that's funny because when he came on, I was like that song. I told him that was one of my labor songs when I had my first daughter. So it's funny that that's the song you brought up because that was also my song. But this is I mean, it is really I think it is a time for rebirth and faith. So This is exciting to have him on and then have you on because I know that faith is first and foremost for you, and you are a great advocate for Christ out there and talking about families, and you're passionate about our kids and our families. And because of that, I mean that kind of leads into his daughter is into acting. You grew up here, but you're going back there, which I think is fascinating because I'm in the situation of having four kids and I felt like I had nothing good for them to watch. So tell us what's going on?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 3: I mean, has there ever been a better time where we have needed a mister Rogers for our kids?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 2: And I just became a grandfather. I don't know if you can believe that.
Speaker 1: We congratulations, Mike.
Speaker 2: Sever just became a grandfather. And it's been really hard.
Speaker 3: I've been trying to pick out my grandpa name because I don't want something that's cheesy, you know, like and then I just moved to Tennessee and everybody here's got these real, you know, these like southern grandpa names like pap Paul, p Paul, Pat Paul, and I'm just not ready to go full Cracker Bret. Oh Yet, So I'm thinking I'm going with Chief. I'm thinking my grandkids are gonna call me Chief.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 3: I want to lean into the kinds of media and educational content for my children and my children's children that's actually going to be good for their little hearts and their little minds. So much of children's television today has become perverted and warped and twisted and bent. Is such filth and pollution and confusing kids about who they are, their gender. It's making their add worse. And we think, wait a minute, what if we could go back to a modern day version of something that's wholesome and healthy and entertaining like Mister Rogers and Sesame Street. Only make it like beautiful animation, real stories that kids can relate to, clear moral lessons and develop their souls by teaching them faith in God.
Speaker 2: That's what we're doing. And it's called Iggy and Mister Kirk.
Speaker 3: It's going to be free on YouTube, it's going to be everywhere around the world, coming out next month, and you're absolutely gonna love it.
Speaker 1: So, first of all, I want to say that my mom also thought that she would have a clever name because she said she didn't want to be grandma. So she would come into our house and she would say she wanted everybody to call her Coco. So I was the first one to have a grandchild. Yeah, she wanted to be Grandma's.
Speaker 2: My wife's grandma name is Coco.
Speaker 1: That is so funny. So she has to remember that because my mom told everybody she wanted to be Coco. And then she would walk in the house and should go, grandma's here. And I was like, Mom, if you cannot remember your Cocoa, you're not and she's not. She's grandma, she's grandma. You have to come in. Remember your chief. You gotta come in. You gotta declare it.
Speaker 2: It's Cocoa and Chief. And I tell her all the time.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, that is hilarious. So yes, you have to you have to instill that in the kids. Okay, So this show. I love this idea because I have to tell you that I grew up watching things like Growing Pains, and I felt like it was really shows like that really had life lessons in them. And then I watched the shows that my kids have that are offered to them. They actually go back and they watch the original full House. That's what they've been like. That's they've been watching that for a couple of years now and they keep going back and real watching it. But they the shows that are on these big networks now for kids are anti parents, they're anti discipline, they are a pro bad behavior, and and you're right, there's all different kinds of value sets and kids changing gender and everything, and they are they're confused. It's not even comfortable for them to watch, which I think is funny because on their own they found the television shows from when I was a kid to engage in rather than from their childhood.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And it's so hard to be a parent these days because you feel like everything's working against you. Your public school's working against you. There's even some churches that working against you because they're not staying faithful to the Word of God.
Speaker 2: And then media, of course, you can't trust that.
Speaker 3: You can't trust Disney, you can't trust Nickelodeon, you can't trust the government, you can't trust the medical industry.
Speaker 2: It's like, who do we even trust anymore?
Speaker 3: And so that's why I wanted to be a part of a team of people who have the right mission, and that is we want to invest in the hearts and minds of children for the good. We want to utilize their incredible imaginations for what is true and beautiful and good. And that's what Idian Mister Kirk is all about. And one of the ways that kids will benefit from the show is it's not cuts every two to three seconds and blinking lights and ridiculous sounds that don't match up with the things that are happening on the screen, making their add worse. This is actually healthy for their cognitive development, their relational skills, clear moral lessons, and it engages their imagination for good. One of the ways that kids learn the lessons is by relating to an adorable green iguana named Iggy that I'm raising in my treehouse in the backyard, and he's got to navigate through the very relatable challenges that every five year old, every six and seven year old can understand.
Speaker 2: While he's listening to some friends who are telling the truth.
Speaker 3: And then there's others like a vulture named Culture who is always deceiving him and lying to Iggy and making him question his identity and who really loves him and who he can trust and what's true, and he's got to rely on the wisdom that's given to him by his dad and his mom and by trusting in God and praying.
Speaker 1: So you know, there are ways of learning lessons through TV. And I think that that's what we've been forgetting for so long on the conservative side, is that our kids are learning lessons the wrong lessons. TV has infiltrated everything, and part of that is what you actually said about add I never thought about that before, but the idea that you have to be constantly entertained, something has to constantly switch in your mind, and then you get kind of into that mode. But I mean, I can remember even when I was a kid watching Charlie in the Chocolate Factory, and still to this day, I'm like, what would I have done with that cob Stopper? Would I have given it to the bad guy?
Speaker 2: I just watched it the other night. It's so good. It's such a great movie, and you know, it's funny.
Speaker 3: This is a completely random tie in, but you know, the Gobstocker and Willie Walka, you know, when he handed out those five golden tickets, It just that's all I could think of when I just read in the news about how Trump is now.
Speaker 2: Offering the gold card for five million dollars.
Speaker 3: For people in other countries to get instant citizenship in the United States.
Speaker 2: I'm like, he's the Willy Wonka of immigration.
Speaker 4: Really, here's your gold card, five million dollars please, And I thought, Wow, this guy's pulling ideas out of aware and creating opportunities for America.
Speaker 2: It's just it's pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: We've got more coming up with Kirk Cameron, but first I want to tell you about my partners at Preborn. When a woman faces an unplanned pregnancy, she is often pressured to end her child's life. She wants to make the right choice, but society and those around her are telling her that her baby is not a life. That's where the Ministry of Preborn steps in. Preborn and their networks of clinics offer compassionate, loving care to mothers and the support they need to help them choose life, including a free ultrasound. Once a mother hears their child's beautiful heartbeat, she is twice as likely to choose life. If you consider your self pro life, it's time to join forces with Preborn. Together we can empower women to choose life. Empowering the truth of motherhood transforms families and futures. One ultrasound is just twenty eight dollars a month, and one hundred and forty dollars will help you rescue five babies. When you donate monthly, you'll receive story and pictures of the lives you help to save. Please dial pound two fifty and say the keyword baby. That's pound two fifty baby. Or visit preborn dot com slash dixon. That's preborn dot com slash dixon. This message is sponsored by Preborn, and we've got more coming up after this. You start from little kids to show what leadership is, and you make such a great point of there's constantly going to be people pulling at you saying and culture pulling at you saying this is where you should be. And you can lose your identity really quickly in this world. But if you are grounded in Christ, then you know your identity that so is that at all tied into the show.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't characterize our show as a religious show, like you know to your point about Christ. Neither would I talk categorize it as a political or racist or a racism show. I would say that it's a show about what is true and beautiful and good to help children be healthy. And it includes issues like identity, like purpose, faith in God and in His word we pray together. And it deals with issues even like warning about the dangers of socialism with an episode called an Island of Free ice Cream. But like I said, it's not couch. It's not couched as a political or religious show. It's a good show for children and their parents that they can trust.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I keep hearing that these are hard things to do though, because you're kind of fighting against this Hollywood machine. And you were a part of that machine when you were a kid, so you saw the other side of it. But what's it like now? How much do you think it's changed from when you were a child, And how do you fight against that? How do you fund something like this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well media, God wasn't surprised by media when it came in. You know, like we talk about how media has infiltrated homes and stuff. Well, I would say that media has always been God's idea. These things don't just happen out of the ether, and they're not random.
Speaker 2: And God has a purpose for all of these.
Speaker 3: Things, and he's working it all together for good, for those who love him and are called according to His purpose. Scripture says, So what Christians and good people need to do is infiltrate media, not just say oh, media bad, and we end up becoming professional whiners about the influence of media. No, no, no, we need to become winners of the media. Rather than complaining about the culture. Let's be creators of the culture. Actually get in the driver's seat and drive the bus where we want it to go so that our children's future is hopeful. And so I would say that with the advent of good technology, there are people who can create content just like we're doing right now. The Tutorddiction Show is not funded by Warner Brothers or by Disney. We can do stuff like this and create content and watch it on YouTube or wherever. And so I think good stuff is coming out. But cancer doesn't get better on its own. It just wants to grow bigger and bigger. And so the rotten root of wickedness, evil, perversion, and greed that characterizes so much of media and children's content, it is not going to get better.
Speaker 2: It just needs to be replaced. It just needs to be beaten with good. So rather than joining in with evil.
Speaker 3: We just got to overcome evil with good, and that's what we are attempting to do.
Speaker 2: It's what you're attempting to do.
Speaker 3: And I believe that God multiplies what he loves and so we're on the winning team, so are you.
Speaker 1: I mean, there is cost in doing something like this, though, So we've seen a lot of kind of I guess I would say traditional American values and even traditional faith values popping up in television shows and in movies. I mean, I talked to you about The Last Supper, we just talked to about We just talked to Chris Tomlin about that movie. We have seen that faith and values are really coming back into place. So when you produce something like this on YouTube, is there a place where you're asking people like, hey, help us out or are you just wanting them to watch?
Speaker 3: So the quick answer is you can watch it for free. You can go to watch Brave. I believe you can go there right now and you can see the trailer and maybe even an episode or two. The first five episodes are going to be free on YouTube, coming out later in March, and.
Speaker 2: To edit that if that's already passed.
Speaker 3: But the idea is that we also are looking for help and support because it costs a lot of money to make a television show. We're gonna do it either way, but we give people an opportunity to be a part of it, and we can go to the website to check that out.
Speaker 1: Give us the website just so people know it keeps changing.
Speaker 3: The website is watch Brave dot com. Watch Brave dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, watch Brave dot com awesome, and then people there they can learn about this. That's do you see I mean, do you see a lot of conservatives getting together in this space right now? You're on a tour. We can see that. You're in a bus, You're on a tour. You're out there talking to people about this stuff. Tell us what you're doing right now.
Speaker 3: So, tutor, can I go back and just answer something that you had asked me in the previous question?
Speaker 2: I forgot to answer it.
Speaker 3: Yes, we are seeing pro America, pro conservative, pro Christian values popping up in media and movies and television shows more now than we maybe we did three years ago. And I think because of the election and what people are seeing is happening, people are being embolden. It's wind in our sales. This is gas in the tank. And I think that in the mercy of God, the very the kindness, and the undeserved favor of God, We've been given four years of air cover so that we can advance the good and the beautiful and what is right, what we should have been doing for decades but have not done or not done well.
Speaker 2: And I think now is our opportunity to do this.
Speaker 3: And if we blow it now, after everything that we have been through and all the kindness and mercy that we've been shown, and our eyes being opened over the last four years, it will we ever turn back to God and to the Constitution and to the values that lead to our kids blessing Or are we really asking for communism to come in and just take.
Speaker 2: Care of everything for us.
Speaker 3: That's the question I think we need to ask ourselves as Americans and particularly as Christians. So I'm thrilled and I think I'm hoping that this is the appearances of more good and godly values.
Speaker 2: Is not just the pendulum swinging way back.
Speaker 3: To the right, because that's the nature of a pendulum, It just swings back to the left again and then back to the right again. What we want is a revival that swings it, not to the right or to the left. I wanted to swing that pendulum straight up and point toward Heaven and stay there right, because that's really all there is. Ronald Reagan said it. Look, it's not really a choice between the right and the left. It's a choice between up to maximum freedom under God and under law, or down to the ash heap of totalitarianism.
Speaker 2: And that's what we've got to decide.
Speaker 1: So when you do, when you are making something like this, do you think that this will be a daily show? Is this a weekly show? Is this something that you expect the kids to come down and get down on the family room, huddle up on the carpet and say, we got to watch our daily episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I hope So, I hope that this becomes a staple for decades and decades, just like Mister Rogers, or just like Little House on the Prairie, or just like Happy Days or I Love Lucy, or just like growing Things in Full House. I'm hoping that for little kids, five year old, six, seven year olds, this is going to be a tool in parents toolbox that the kids love and that parents can trust. And you can watch seasons at a time with the streaming services that it's platforming on.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, and this is not the only thing you're doing. I was saying, you're honest. You're on a bus right now, You're touring around the country. People love to see you out there doing this talking to them. I mean, you're you really are I think a trusted voice because we know your faith. But we also know your face. You know, we've seen you for years. So what are you out there talking about when you're on the road.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, you can see half my face because Mike step grew a beard. And as far as being a trusted guy, you know, I'm also an actor and I could be fake in the whole thing, So beware of Hollywood celebrities always.
Speaker 2: But thank you. That definitely encourages me.
Speaker 3: And I'm on the road because we want to let people know about our new TV show for kids, Iggy and mister Kirk. We want them to know about a new book that I just wrote called Born to Be Brave, How to become a part of America's spiritual come back. And people are leaving I think encouraged, full of hope and a vision of victory for the future, not pessimistic and escapist, but victorious because.
Speaker 2: The gospel and doing what's right has victory written all over it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, I've heard great things. I've heard all these stories about the children's events that you're doing, and I hear what you're saying about you have to be cautious of people. I think you've proven yourself. I think that you are clearly working on behalf of our christ like values and we appreciate that. Stick around for more with Kirk Cameron, but first let me tell you about my partners at IFCJ. After more than a year of war, terror and pain in Israel, all of Israel is broken hearted after learning of the tragic deaths of the Babist children who were held hostage in Gaza, and there are so many still hurting throughout the Holy Land, where the need for aid continues to grow. The International Fellowship of Christians and Jews has supported and continues to support the families of hostages and other victims of the October seventh terror attacks. With your help, IFCJ has provided financial and emotional help to hostages and their families, and to those healing and rebuilding their broken homes and broken bodies. But the real work is just beginning. Your gift will help provide critically needed support to families in Israel whose lives continue to be destroyed by terror and uncertainty as Israel remains surrounded by enemies. Give a gift to bless Israel and her people by visiting SUPPORTIFCJ dot org. That's one word, it's support, IFCJ dot org. Or call eight eight eight four eight eight IFCJ that's eight eight eight four eight eight IFCJ. Now stay tuned. We've got more coming up right after this. What you said earlier I think is so key is that like this isn't just because we have been frustrated with the media. Just because we've been frustrated with shows and TV programs that are on for kids, that doesn't mean you shy away. And that's why projects like yours are so important. So you go to the website help support because it's up to us. I mean, when you talk about the church, the church is really us. And so even though there are may be some buildings where there is a person who might be a false teacher leading you awry, the church is us. So look at the things that you can support, and this is one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you for saying that. I think you're exactly right. So many people have turned into you know, as conservatives, we look at the left and we say, boy, you know, you guys are just maxing out this victimhood mentality stuff, right, you just make everybody feel like a victim. And then union is the government need to come in and you need to fight for them. But as conservatives we have the same heart. Ultimately, unless we're set free by the Gospel and changed on the inside, we make ourselves victims of the culture.
Speaker 2: And we say oh, we say, oh my goodness, like all of.
Speaker 3: This culture, this media, public schools, they're just working against us. We're victims of this nasty, dark culture. And I want to say, wait a minute, hold on. Nobody told you you had to send your kids to the school you're sending them to. You have options. You can homeschool your kids, you can send them to a private school if you can't afford that.
Speaker 2: There's churches and schools and networks and co ops.
Speaker 3: More than ever before, information has been democratized and distributed all over the internet. You can learn just about everything from YouTube, and there are so many things that we can be doing. We don't need to be whining and complaining about stuff. So look, we have great opportunities right now. This could be the Family of Faith's finest hour in the history of America and turn things back. Maybe our setback culturally has really been all along a setup for a comeback led by the Family of Faith.
Speaker 1: That is honestly one of the most important messages I have heard on our podcast for sure, Seriously hearing you say that it was so convicting. Yeah, we have been victims, and we've created an environment where we actually pay people to complain on our behalf and you are doing the complete opposite.
Speaker 3: And then we pay with our taxes for public schools to turn our kids against the family, against God, and against America.
Speaker 2: And we say, oh no, this must mean that.
Speaker 3: The rapture's coming by Thursday, and so we'll get out of here and it'll all be over, Like are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Can you imagine, if.
Speaker 3: You know, the Pilgrims had that attitude when things were far worse than they are now, Or go back fifteen hundred, two thousand years when Christians are being thrown to lions and lit on fire to light up the nighttime games at the coliseum guys, it gets much much worse than this, And the only reason it's not like that now is because people had an optimistic view of the future and they built the world for their children. They weren't looking to be rescued and escaped by God just taking care of it for them.
Speaker 2: They said, no, God worked through me. I am your hands and feet.
Speaker 1: So if this is anything like what the show is like, I encourage people to definitely go there, watch it, have your kids watch it, because you are exactly the voice we need right now. The idea that someone is going to come with positivity, optimism and christ and light is so important and that's what we've been looking for. So I so I appreciate you so much. I think you're awesome. I think what you're doing is amazing and I'm so glad you came on today.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Tutor, keep up the great work. Your voice is so important.
Speaker 3: Your producer is doing such a great job, and let's keep working together. And again, I believe that the Lord multiplies what he loves.
Speaker 1: That's right. Absolutely, well, Kirk Cameron. We appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thanks, I have a greatful.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and thank all of you for listening. To the Tutor Dixon podcast. Check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts, and join us next time. Have a bless day.