Speaker 1: I Am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh that's just you.
Speaker 3: I Am all in Town meeting with Suzanne French Pan Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 4: Hey guys, welcome to another episode of I'm All in Town meeting with myself.
Speaker 5: Tara and Suzanne.
Speaker 4: Hello, all right, we're talking about season one, episode five, Cinnamon's Wake, which aired November second, two thousand.
Speaker 5: I thought this was a very sweet episode.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I loved how the whole town turned out for a cat's funeral, Like it just says so much about ill. I loved it. I thought it was great.
Speaker 4: It was kind of like, I think we're still so early into the series. It kind of we're still setting the tone of the town, right because I also loved where, you know, everyone's like, oh, it's a cat's like funeral. But then at the end, Emily's like, you missed work for a cat's funeral.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, Like Emily doesn't get the town.
Speaker 5: No, no, no.
Speaker 6: And so it's it's a good it's a good contrast between those two. But I thought it was good. I loved the kind of the the banter between Luke and Suki both in the diner and then at you know, when they were setting out the food and stuff. I just it was just a good episode.
Speaker 3: Accept she never washed her hands before putting touching people's food. That was my note.
Speaker 5: She just went back there.
Speaker 6: You know, you're right, You're right. I didn't even notice that, but that is a good point. And then there was also I think it was in the last episode where she had all those dishes of risotto and she's.
Speaker 5: Just at the same spoon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: She's not very clean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so maybe we don't eat Suki's food, but it's looks good though.
Speaker 3: You were talking about you had something right off the top.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so a couple things. So, of course, because I'm my brain is just super detailed. When in the opening when they were talking about Claudia's funeral and Emily said, it's your father's grandmother's sister's girl, so of course I had to figure out what that relationship was. That so Claudia would have been laurelized, first cousin, twice removed in case anyone was wondering, because if we assume so, we don't know if it was on Richard's mom's side or the dad's side. But I just assumed it was on the mom's side. Because that was easier for me to think through because the so father's grandmother, that means it's Tricks's mother, and then so her sister, So the TRIX's mother's sister would have been Trickx's aunt, okay, and then her daughter would have been Tricks's first cousin. So Claudia and Trix, the Claudia is the woman that died. Claudia and Tricks were cousins, So Claudia would have been Richard's first cousin once removed, because they're in He's like the next generation down and then generation below that, right, so it's first cousin twice removed. So anyways, I know that that was probably keeping everyone awake night, so I thought i'd clarify that.
Speaker 5: So that's why it made more sense to go to Cinnamon's wake than claudie funeral.
Speaker 6: Exactly exactly. It was her grandmother's cousin. Like, it's another way they could have said it, right, right, right, yeah, So and obviously you know she didn't remember. She would have been pretty young for the moon landing, so of course she's not gonna remember Claudia. But on the one thing that I did notice right after, I think It was right after the opening credits when they are in the kitchen and Laurela's watching TV in the kitchen, which was odd in and of itself. I don't think we ever saw the TV in the kitchen. Again, if you watched closely, there's the wide shot of her sitting in the kitchen. She's got her feet up, and Rory comes out of the bedroom, and then it cuts to a shot where the camera's behind laurel I looking towards the stove area. There was no TV in that shot. Oh funny, And I have the timecode. Well we'll get a screenshot of it. But you can see over Laurelly's shoulders she's just looking at an empty there was no television.
Speaker 3: So that's so funny.
Speaker 6: He must have like shot that angle on a different day or something. I don't know why to pick right exactly. I don't know why the television suddenly would have been gone, but funny, it's pretty funny.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 4: I was with Danielle Romo yesterday and we were talking about how I was like, oh my god, it's been so fun doing this with Suzanne. And then one of our coworkers was with us and she was like, oh, my god, did you see on TikTok they're comparing Chiltern's outfit to the uniform from Princess Diary's. Oh, and Danielle and I started looking it up because we've I mean, Princess Mary's is one of my favorite movies ever, and obviously I love Gilmore Girls, but they're very similar if you look it up. But I feel like I wore a uniform in elementary school, and I feel like my uniform also.
Speaker 3: Looks kind of similar. Mm hm, it is pretty close. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 6: So if you pull up, I'm gonna have to watch Princess Diaries again. I have not seen it in years, probably since it came out, so I'm gonna have to look for that.
Speaker 3: As it came out that was like two thousand and four.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was like twenty years ago. I'm gonna have to.
Speaker 3: I watch it.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna lie to you, like twice a month.
Speaker 4: It's like my comfort movies. Sometimes I don't even like listen to, like fully pay attention. I just turn it on and it's always on planes. Oh, it's like also one of my plane movies.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna have to watch it again. I did enjoy it when I saw it, but it's just not you know.
Speaker 5: Number one is great and number two is just as good.
Speaker 6: I don't think I saw the second one at all.
Speaker 5: It's fun.
Speaker 6: Since you mentioned Princess Diaries, I want to say I have read this. I don't remember where I've read it, but I think the books the house, well, the house, the house that they used somewhere in Gilmore Girls. There's a set that they used in Princess Diaries, and I want to say it was like the house that they used for that party at Madaline's house or Louise's house. I'm gonna I know everybody's going to correct me in the comments, and that's cool. I'm gonna have to research it because I didn't. I haven't looked into it, but I do remember hearing somewhere that there is a Princess Diaries tie in there with one of the sets that they used.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 5: I thought you're gonna say you read the books.
Speaker 3: I was like me too. By meg Abbott.
Speaker 6: Oh see, I didn't even know it was a book. Now thats something else I got to do.
Speaker 5: It's a book series.
Speaker 3: There's three of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Now I gotta add that to my list.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but anyway, that's a gilwork.
Speaker 3: Girls.
Speaker 6: Anyway, let's see what other little tidbits do I have on my list? Okay. In that same kitchen scene where Laane is in Rory's bedroom and she's dancing, I just have to point out the song Laurla mentions skanking to Rancid. So the time the song is time Bomb by Rancid and hep Alien actually plays that in season four.
Speaker 5: Funny, So it was a fun little callback.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So Cinnamon, obviously, Cinnamon is you know, the focus of this episode. And one thing I see get called out a lot. I did not come up with this one on my own. I see people mention it all the time. Is that in the two episodes ago, in episode three, Kill Me Now, when ba Bat comes over to their house and she's she says that Cinnamon is stuck under the porch. And in that episode, Cinnamon was a boy, and now in this episode, Cinnamon's a girl.
Speaker 4: That's so funny because it also it made me think of Kirk in this episode, is they still haven't found his place. Yes, they established his name is Kirk, but it seems like he's not like his quirky self, and it seemed like no one knows him.
Speaker 6: Right, Miss Patty doesn't have any idea who Kirk is, which is weird, and she calls him Kirk the jerk.
Speaker 4: And but at the wake she says something like, you know, I don't remember what I should have written it down.
Speaker 3: It was something along the lines of like, oh, you know, I'm messing with you or something like.
Speaker 4: It made it seem like they do know each other. But his way of saying, like, I didn't know you're the number one customer was.
Speaker 5: Like, so, you guys don't know each other, right.
Speaker 6: It was really confusing, and the scene in the store, uh was it seemed to indicate that that they didn't know each other because he didn't know who she was and he was. It was weird And so I had to look up have we met Taylor yet? And we haven't even met We know, we don't meet Taylor until episode seven, So it's it's interesting like we're in the market, we have these these doses market scenes, but we haven't even met Taylor yet. So yeah, it's still kind of that early, like we haven't sorted it out all the details of the relationship.
Speaker 3: The only thing we've established is that Dean were there.
Speaker 6: Yes, Yeah, because miss Patti from the pilot, Miss Patty recommend.
Speaker 3: Him a job.
Speaker 2: That job.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Everything else is kind of it's throwing me off of it because now I'm actually like really paying attention to it, and I'm like, this is all such.
Speaker 5: A jumbled mess in the beginning.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, it is kind of interesting considering.
Speaker 5: We know these people for seven more years, you.
Speaker 6: Know, right, right, Yeah, so that that was an interesting scene. There were a lot of people in that market. Yeah, they seems like there were like dozens of people in there, and there were lots of cashiers.
Speaker 4: I also realized like there's there was a lot going on in this episode between like the Chiltern bake sale, her seeing Max Medeine at the coffee shop, the wake.
Speaker 3: The grocery store, like they were all over the place.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there were a lot of locations in this episode.
Speaker 4: I just think that Suky's bake sale, it was like what it goes back to, like, well, the episode where I always think of the kid's birthday party when she's catering and she finds out she's pregnant.
Speaker 5: But I'm like, Suki, do you really think the kids want this big sale?
Speaker 6: I felt like the big sale was more for the parents.
Speaker 5: Like that's true. Rory wasn't even there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like the the stuff that the parents were bringing, you know, because they were all the tables were elaborate, and I felt like it was, you know, more for the parents to kind of shoot off, you know what they were doing. So when when Suki had all those super elaborate things, I'm like, oh, this totally fits in with the chiltern vibe because this is what all these people are looking for.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The other thing I noticed, and I think it comes up later because I think you've mentioned it, but the gnomes.
Speaker 5: There were the gnomes are known to be at Babette's house, right, Yes, there were a lot of a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like at first I noticed like that when they first walked up the porch steps, there are three, uh huh, and.
Speaker 5: I think by the end there was like ten.
Speaker 3: And I was like, but so do they do they pop up here? And they're like they.
Speaker 6: Do because they taught. I remember in the when Kirk wasn't Kirk but he was Mick and he came to set up the DSL and Babett was saying he kicked the gnome and Gnome kicking says a lot about a man like that was in the pilot, the pilot of the second no, the second episode, I think the second episode, And there is another one that's coming up later where she Babat mentions that sometimes she can late at night she can hear the Gnomes talking. I don't remember what episode it is, but I just remember I can hear her her saying that. So, yeah, Babat and her Gnomes, it's just part of the whole whimsy of Babbett's existence.
Speaker 4: I also texted you last night because I saw something a comment someone left on our Instagram mm hmm that someone says, start watching for the Scooby Doo figurines. Yeah, And I asked you if that's a real thing, and you said yeah, And I was like, what TV.
Speaker 3: Show have I been watching?
Speaker 6: It is a thing, but it's a minor thing. There's a few episodes, I want to say, probably no more than three or four it's and it was season one. Somebody I don't know who was responsible for it, but somebody left a little Scooby do figurine in a few places, so I know there's a scene where it's there's at least one scene possibly two where it's at Luke's Diner, and there's a scene where it's in Rory's locker at Chilton, So when I have to, I can't remember the exact episode, so as we go through, I'll keep an eye out for those. But it wasn't a very long lived thing, unfortunately, which because it could have been really fun to stretch.
Speaker 3: That out over right, so we do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know if it was like a set decorator or who exactly.
Speaker 3: Has to be because Scooby Doo is Warner Brothers and they were on The Warner Brothers a lot, so I bet it was something.
Speaker 6: Oh it could be yeah, yeah, So yeah, they're hard to spot, but they're they're out there, so we'll we'll point those out as they also.
Speaker 4: I don't know if your TV did this, but towards the end when loral I and Rory are talking to each other outside, the right side at my screen.
Speaker 5: Was like specks of white.
Speaker 4: Oh, and I wonder if that's from how they like it went to Netflix, like the way they trans I don't know how yeh from film like that.
Speaker 6: I couldn't notice that specifically, but it could have been like there might have been like a light on the side or something that you're picking up, like the light was shining on them or something. Yeah, yeah, I don't I didn't notice that interesting.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe it was just me, but I don't know it was. Now I have to watch it again well because and I also I read a lot of the comments, especially for our episodes, because there's things that you and I noticed, and everyone's like, I noticed that too, or watch this And someone said there are so many boom mics that are noticed because of the way that I think they said it was the way that we would we watched now compared to before. But I don't know the details of how and why. So if that was you commenting, please go into detail.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it has to do with today's the it's the it's like the ratio of the height to the width of the picture. And now watch on a wider side. And it's the same thing with Friends, and I'm sure you know Jackie can can attest to that too. Sometimes on Friends you can actually see the edge of the wall of the set and you can see like whatever is next door. It's it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: But that is so funny.
Speaker 6: You sure can.
Speaker 5: Jackie's like, I've only seen Friends millions of times.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: It just has to do with with you know, television. Watching it on a television is different than watching it like on a computer screen or an iPad or whatever. So what would have been cropped originally is now visible because we're watching it in a wider format. So it's interesting. There's all kinds of crazy stuff. And there's an episode the spring Break episode two, there's a scene where they're walking through the hotel and they walk past like they're in that little you know, spring Break hotel, and they walk past one of the hotel rooms and you can see like the room is full of equipment, like filming equipment that I've noticed if it was trimmed. So yeah, it's it's pretty funny.
Speaker 5: Those things are funny to look out for.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it probably happens like on every show that is from that era because now we watch everything in a widescreen format.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so one question I have, and maybe the viewers can weigh in on this, and maybe this would be good for Luke's diner segment when they're at the bake sale and Suki's table had that really elaborate.
Speaker 6: Carved swan Yeah, what was that made out of?
Speaker 3: I was wondering the same thing.
Speaker 6: Like, it looks like a watermelon inside it's red with seeds, but it's on the outside is white.
Speaker 3: So literally I thought it was watermelon with frosting.
Speaker 6: Oh I didn't even think about frosting that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I literally that's what I thought of. But I watch a lot. I watch a lot of those like Holiday Bake Off, those type of shows, and they always like, I mean, I always wonder, I'm like, do those foods taste do those cakes taste good?
Speaker 5: Because it's still like elaborate with details. Yeah, so I don't know, but I.
Speaker 3: Literally thought it was watermelon and with like frosting that wasn't fully covering the watermelon.
Speaker 6: We need to find like somebody who sculpts food and tell it.
Speaker 4: We also needed a screenshot of that, because now I go back and really look at it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I actually I grabbed a timecode for that too, because I'm like, we need to have a conversation about that.
Speaker 5: I thought the same thing because I was like, is it fruit?
Speaker 3: Is it cake? Like? What is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Right? And it was huge, so whatever it, whatever it is, it was either huge or there are multiples of them that they carved and then attached together. Like it looks like it's red inside, so it looks watermelony.
Speaker 5: It's definitely not frosting now the more I look at it.
Speaker 6: Maybe they just took off the green part of the rind.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that would be a lot of work, you.
Speaker 3: Know what, That's what I actually think it is. I think they took the green part off the rine. H. But then it's a bake sale. Why is it just like a fruit tower?
Speaker 6: I know, I think that's just decoration. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Oh there there's crimbrulet in front of it.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, that's right, because she had the torch. She was going to torch the krimberlay table on fire, but.
Speaker 3: The giant thing of fruit with three cups of cramberuley.
Speaker 4: Also, I have to say, I really like Max Medina, and I know why.
Speaker 6: You know, I had the opposite reaction. I generally don't feel one way or the other about him, but I was like, he's kind of creepy in this episode.
Speaker 5: This one.
Speaker 6: Yes, he was just weirdly aggressive.
Speaker 3: I thought this one he I like him in general.
Speaker 5: This one I could see why you think.
Speaker 4: That, But also I just thought that, like he showed up to her door and he's like, all right, we'll give me another shot.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, I just I liked it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The one, the one that I cannot stand is Digger, I have all I cannot stand him.
Speaker 6: See, I didn't mind Digger.
Speaker 5: I guess it's one or the other.
Speaker 6: I think is a sincere person, and I think he's a nice person in general. But I just it just bugs me that she's like neither one of them thought let's put the brakes on the It just bothered me that she's dating her daughter's teacher and they could have, you know, waited a semester or two until he wasn't over one month before, right, And then she puts she puts Rory in kind of a bad spot, saying, well, I won't date him if you don't want me to. Like what's Rory supposed to say to that? I didn't like that she put Rory in that position.
Speaker 4: I actually didn't like that either at the at the end when she they're in the kitchen in the bedroom, Yeah, I didn't really agree with it. But then I also realized that like Rory was in like Lollaland with Deans, so she didn't really carry either.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence. I mean, I don't I don't dislike Max. I think he was fine, but it just bugged me the way the whole thing started.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I am excited for the Dean stuff though, because I forget kind of forget about it after you go through like Jess and Logan and you forget about like the early days.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this was this was Dean's kind of golden period, Like he hadn't really you know, because they really changed his character once Jess came in. They had to really change Dean. But in season one he's still like the cool guy from the city and yeah, his character was a lot different. So I like Deane at this point too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did too.
Speaker 6: Uh did you notice the fake doll in the stroller?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 5: No, wait what stroll in the where the cat was supposed to be.
Speaker 8: No, it was in the scene where Rory and Lane are walking through stars Hollow and they run into they see Babbett and Maury with the cat and they're talking.
Speaker 6: That was when they were talking about they ate the the clams at Al's Pancake World. Somebody in the background is walking by with a stroller and there's very clearly a fake baby doll in the stroller, like not even trying to make it look like it. And yeah, I don't know. It was like they weren't even trying to make it look like a real baby.
Speaker 3: It's so funny, so funny.
Speaker 6: One other thing I noticed too in the market scene. So you know sometimes when when they have something a situation like that where there's actual product on the shelves but they don't want to reveal the real brand name of the product, that they'll like they'll black out a letter or they'll try to make a fake name somehow. There's a there's a shelf that has a bunch of crackers on it, and they they messed with the They turned like an N into a W or something on one box, but they left all the others the way they were, so it looked it looked really funny that.
Speaker 5: They wait, what was it?
Speaker 3: What did it say?
Speaker 6: It was? The brand was ry Veta, which I don't know if that's a real brand or not, if it's supposed to be like Rye Crisp or whatever. But they there were three or four boxes on the shelf, and they had taken one of them and messed with the letters spell something different, but they only did it on one box.
Speaker 5: That's so funny.
Speaker 6: So it's like, if you're gonna make that effort, like make the whole.
Speaker 3: Effort, or just move that one out of the main shot.
Speaker 6: Right, Like Yeah, And maybe that was again something that we wouldn't necessarily have seen it in the real episode when it airs, because it might have been off screen.
Speaker 4: But I wonder if these people who work clicks with set decorators go back and just like so mad at themselves for the things that we catch.
Speaker 6: I know, I know we're kind of we're picky sometimes, yeah, I know. And it's not it's not in a bad thing, like you.
Speaker 3: Know, it just is what it is.
Speaker 6: And you know sometimes you like we've talked about before, you're not at this point, you're not watching that act shouldn't anymore because you know what's gonna happen looking at like every single thing. That's a good point background.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, all in all, I like that. I thought it was a very sweet episode.
Speaker 6: Yeah I did too.
Speaker 4: I really enjoyed And the whole time I was wondering when is the birthday party episode? And I realize it's next.
Speaker 6: Yes, Yes, another classic episode.
Speaker 4: That's one of my favorites from season one. It's so next one we'll be watching is season one, episode six, Rory's Birthday Parties.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be good, perfect, all right.
Speaker 5: Well, thanks Suzanne and we'll see you all next week.
Speaker 1: Take care, Hey, everybody, don't forget.
Speaker 6: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com