Speaker 1: The Boston Strangler gripped a community. From nineteen sixty two to nineteen sixty four, at least eleven women were found murdered in the Boston city limits and surrounding area. Albert DeSalvo confessed to the eleven crops. He was murdered in prison. Later, the family of Mary Sullivan got DNA from her exhumed body.
Speaker 2: Two DNA tests.
Speaker 3: One was taken from the exhumed remains of Mary Sullivan and the exhumed remains of Albert de Salvo. The DNA found inside Mary's body did not match Alpert de Salvo. A decade later, the Boston Police Department conducted DNA testing on a blanket that was found inside Mary Sullivan's apartment, and that didn't match the DNA of a bloodline relative of Albert to Selbum.
Speaker 1: When I got involved in twenty ten, that's kind of what we said, Hey, you know, you've got a family here that got DNA from their relative, Mary Sullivan. They've done half the work for you. Exhume him, cross check it, and that's it. Then in twenty thirteen, three years later, that's what they allegedly did. They got a water bottle from a nephew and then exhumed Albert DeSalvo and said there was a match. But y'all listen to me. Now. We have a guest today. And when I tell you nobody knows this case better, I don't think anybody knows this case better. I met our guests in two thousand and nine, and at that time we talked about the geographical area of the crime. We talked about DNA tapes, families working on the case. You know. I went to Boston so that I could meet with him and meet with the children of the lead detective. I've even talked to Flee Bailey about this case when he was alive. And I'm just so excited today because you are going to be able to hear this story like you've never heard it ever and again for us. In twenty ten, after I met with our guest, Kasey Sherman, and I'm going to get to his intro in a minute, I met with the kids that were the sons of the lead detective. They allowed me to see their dad's in tire case file. There was really no other option, in my opinion, than to take the DNA from Mary Sullivan and cross check it with Albert Salvo. That was it. Forget whether or not he admitted to it. Forget what each family thought. That to me was the easiest plan. I had an opportunity to go to Boston. Number one. It's a great town. It's fantastic town. And when you've got somebody like Casey Sherman, who is a New York Times best selling author, y'all, He's written over thirteen books. Two of them are my favorite books of all time, one being The Finest Hour that was made into a motion picture with Casey Afflak and Chris Pine. The second one Boston Straw, that was also made into a film, Patriot's Day with Mark Wahlberg. So when I tell you this man can tell a story, honey, he can tell a story factually but not losing the heart of it. Y'all, remember the bombing at the Boston Marathon. Casey Sherman is the one that came up with Boston Straw. He wrote about it as only a son of that town could. I'm telling you gifted, brilliant. But when I met with him, he says, Okay, you know, come here, we'll talk about it. I will meet with you. But he didn't just meet with me. He said, Yeah, let your students read the book Arose from Mary that he wrote. Now, Casey Sherman again, y'all. He's a writer. He's written for Time Magazine, Esquire, The Washington Post, the Boston Harold. He is a family first person. He is gifted, he is smart, he's a storyteller. But I'm going to tell you he's also one of the most devoted investigative reporters I've ever dealt with. So I just want to welcome him to his own seven. Casey Sherman, thank you, Thank you for spending any time at all with us, and before you even really get rolling, thank you for telling this case like nobody else can.
Speaker 2: Oh, CHERYLT.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you having me on the show today, and you know, I'm very excited to talk to you and talk your white audience about, you know, one of the biggest cases in the history of American crime.
Speaker 1: And you know, I remember our first meeting. You were like, Hey, meet me at the you know, Prudential building. We're going to have lunch at Legal Seafood. I have never had a more sophisticated lunch with any meeting person on a gold case. Best clam chowder I've ever had in my life. But you know, I found you to be so open and so willing to share and so just upfront with this is what needs to happen on this case, and you cannot look at it black and white. You told me that then, even though I was like, Casey, look sitting with you, you have convinced me it's not Albert de Salvo. But when I sit with the sons of the lead detective, I'm convinced it was Albert de Salvo. So again for me, let's cross check that DNA. But here's what happened, y'all. I'm just gonna tell y'all straight up. I followed Casey after that, became a huge fan because of the way he writes and the way he tells stories. And it's undeniable when you sit with him on any case, the bombing, no matter what he's talking about, he's gonna captivate you. But again, Boston Strangler, we did what we did the Cold Case Institute. We were satisfied. We moved on until Casey Sherman, we're speaking at a conference. You're speaking ahead of me. So I thought I'm gonna go to his talk. This will be fun. I can't wait to see, and you freaking knocked me out. I could hardly even concentrate that I had to speak next for wanting to hear every word coming out of your mouth. So again, today means a lot to me, because in any cold case, y'all, there's gonna be twist, there's gonna be turns, there's gonna be things. You don't know. What I think fault was black and white might not be so, Casey, Why don't you take us just a little bit of background of how you got involved with Mary's case and then what you did with it and kind of where we're headed today.
Speaker 2: No happy to Sherylyn.
Speaker 3: You know, as an investigative reporter, you're always learning new information, and I think that is the responsibility of an investigative journalist, of an investigator, to continue to pour over evidence because there might be something that you missed that somebody else missed, that might make that tangible connection that hadn't been made years prior. So the reason why I got involved in this case, cheryln as you know, but for your audience, my aunt, nineteen year old Mary Sullivan was you know, for much of history, was considered the youngest and final victim of the Boston Strangler case. She was nineteen years old. She was murdered Insider apartment in Beacon Hill, one of the safest places in Boston, on Janie fourth, nineteen sixty four. Now, Cheryl, I didn't even know my aunt Mary. I was born in nineteen sixty nine, five years after she was killed, but I knew know the whole that her murder had left in my Irish Catholic family. Murder is multi generational, so it has a ripple effect going down generations. And my mother was seventeen when Mary was murdered nineteen sixty four, and she kept this, these questions that she had about the guilt or innocence of Albert ta Salvo for several years. And I remember seeing the Boston Strangler movie, the first one with Tony Curtis and Henry Fonda, when I was a teenager about to go to journalism school, and I thought I knew the story. So I asked my mother to tell me about Mary the next day, and she said that she had doubts about the guilt or innocence of Albert Tsalvo because not only was Mary my mother's sister, Mary was my mother's best friend, and they had planned to live their lives together. They were going to grow old together as sisters, and all that was stolen from my mother. So at that very moment, you know, I made it my mission to dig into this case and take me where the evidence led me to be able to kind of find out what really happened during those years in the nineteen sixties. And for years, you know, as I was researching this case, in literally interviewing every key witness that was still alive, including many of the murder suspects, the one key piece of evidence that had always been missing Cheryl was Albert Tsalvo's confession. He had confessed to the murders. He was already incarcerated for unrelated crimes in nineteen sixty five, and nobody could corroborate or contradict the confessions because nobody had ever heard them publicly before. In fact, they had been stolen from the evidence flocker at the Boston Police Department, and they went missing for forty years until I tracked them down, and they're sixty hours worth. They're now the subject of a brand new documentary on Hulu Peacock called The Boston strangler unheard confession and for the first time the viewers can actually listen to Albert T. Salvo talking about these murders in detail. The question I had was was he giving correct information in his confessions? And absolutely he was not. He was confessing to events that never happened. And I'm so glad, Cheryl, that you mentioned DNA because in two thousand, not only did I have the confession tape, which to me exonerated Albert de Salvo from at least the Boston strangments. He was a bad guy. He was a sexual predator, he was a con man, he was a thief. What was he a killer? I then exhumed my aunt Mary's remains for DNA testing, and I also exhumed the remains of Albert de Salvo for DNA testing. I've actually held Albert de Salvo sculling my hand, Cheryl. That's how close you know I got to this case. And we were able to find DNA evidence of Mary's killer inside her body. And when I say we, Cheryl, I'm talking about doctor Henry Lee, I'm talking about doctor Michael Biden. I'm talking about doctor Professor James Stars. Rather, these are the top friends of investigators in the world that worked on this case and they found the killers of DNA and it did not match Albert to Salva.
Speaker 1: Let me go back with one thing, because I do want my audience to know this. It is not unusual in high profile cases and unknown cases that things go missing. A lot of times, a detective or somebody else associated with the case or that has access to an evident troom may take something. They may think they're going to write a book, they may think they're going to use it at the academy for training. They may take it because it's a part of American history and they want it. It's not uncommon for things to get misplaced, taken, or stolen. So I just want that out there. That is true.
Speaker 3: It's not uncommon, Sheryl, but it is illegal. And you know this was the evidence in the strangle. The case wasn't taken for future research.
Speaker 1: No, I understand. I understand. And the reason I laughed is because the way you said that is just so succinct and so correct. I mean, obviously, you should never take evidence, no matter what your logic may be. You may think, hey, this could help you know, show young detectives a better way, the wrong way, a right way, you know. But you can copy something, you can you know, make a prop. You don't have to take the actual evidence of things. So here's the thing casey two with me, you're putting in not just the work, but you're doing it scientifically, using no question the best in the country. I mean, doctor Boden hands down no reason to even question his credentials. So you know, you're not just going to your best friend from college, Fred, I mean, you are literally going to the best that there is to make sure that you have the most correct information.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean you always want to bring people in to an investigation, those people that have skill sets that you don't have. And certainly I did not have a background in forensic examination. So I reached out to the best in the business who did have that background and that expertise, and they were willing to work on the case pro bono because they didn't want to be beholden to whether it was my family or the family of Albert Salve or anybody else. They wanted to be beholden to the truth.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what they did.
Speaker 1: Same with the Colgate Institute. We don't accept money from families. We're going to give our opinion, and that's it, based on what we find what we believe to be the most likely to move this case forward. The solvability factors are either there or they're not. When you got the DNA back and they said it does not match Albert Sullivan, was anything done with that DNA like ancestry.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing, So that DNA this was before ancestry dot com was even a thing at that time, or twenty three and meters. This is two thousand. We're at the cutting edge of forensic science at that time. And the DNA that was found on my aunt's remains matched the DNA of the actual prime suspect in her murder from nineteen sixty four. That man was not Albert DeSalvo, but he was a young nineteen year old Boston University student who was now living in northern New England. And I was able to get his DNA surreptitiously and provide it to the forensic experts and they ran the testing came back in match.
Speaker 1: Now you have all this information, you're getting pushed back from law enforcement, You're getting pushed back from the family of the lead detective but you stay the course. I mean, you keep coming even though they've had a press conference that they've solved it, that Albert Defalvo's the Boston strangler. But you're not done. So kind of where did you go? You've got this DNA. It's not a match. You've got now a match of one of the other suspects. What is happening? What are you doing with all this?
Speaker 2: So you know, for the prime suspect and Mary's murder, what I did is I owed him his story. I knew where he was.
Speaker 3: He was actually working at a golf pro at a golf resort in northern New England. Had I gone to his home, he could have taken a gun or a knife or something and you know, done bodily harm to me and goodbye, Casey Sherman. So I had to confront him in a public place. I learned that he was a golf pro. So I booked a golf lesson under an assumed name and I met him on the golf course. I was wearing a disguise. I took the disguise off and it was like the ghost of Christmas past had come back to haunt him. And we spoke for about an hour, he gave me his alibi that I was able to eventually disprove, and I walked away that day knowing that in my heart I had found the killer of Mary Sullivan, my aunt. Now did Boston or Massachusetts law enforcement want to hear that? Certainly they did not. What people don't realize and you do, Cheryl, is that Albert Disavo was never even charged with any of the Boston strangler murders. They're still considered open but not active today. What I've learned subsequent to that time, Cheryl, and this is the most frightening discovery of all, is that you mentioned eleven strangling victims at the beginning of the show. Well, I now can point to at least forty seven women strangled with Boston strangler stuff, murder techniques and tools now across a span of years from nineteen sixty two to nineteen sixty nine, across the United States. Now, people compare the Boston strangler case to Jack the Ripper, but I think it's more comparable to the Salem witch trials. And what I mean by that, Cheryl, is these murders created a hysteria amongst men in the United States who wanted to commit Boston strangler style murders. The most terrifying thing of all, Cheryl, is that these murders weren't committed by one man. They were committed by over a dozen men across eleven states.
Speaker 1: All Right, I told y'all he was going to knock you out. So let me ask you. Of the forty seven, do you believe five twenty might be copycats? Do you think it might be Hey, somebody realized I want to start killing women. There's no better place than Boston right now. If I use Stockings, just strangler, they'll blame it on that guy.
Speaker 3: So Boston was the epicenter for sure, Cheryl. And there were actually more victims in Boston than just eleven. I always thought my aunt, nineteen year old Mary Sullivan, was the youngest victim, when in fact, the youngest victim was only five years old, a young girl named Ellen Gamage, who was abducted from a playground, strangled, assault, and then left in a blueberry patch forty miles south of Boston. And while that murder was happening, Albert Salva was already incarcerated on unrelated crimes, confessing to the Boston strangler case. You had a number of teenagers younger than my aunt Mary murdered all over New England, and the newspapers and the police departments at the time were investigating these homicides. Then these homicides start to happen outside of New England, Oakland, California, Upstate Michigan, Austin, Texas, Hollywood, California, Cincinnati, Ohio, were five women were strangled in nineteen sixty six. There is actually a Cincinnati strangler. If you do your Google research, you can come up with all the newspaper reports at the time, Pensacola, Florida, even Paris, France. It was an hysteria, a strangle mania if you will, that took hold of men, you know, who wanted to do harm against women. So, yes, most of these stranglings were copycats.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're looking at multiple people, multiple states, even countries that knew enough of the Boston strangler's mo because it was in the newspaper, it was celebrated, and.
Speaker 3: Youreraise a good point. Now, today's news media does not get that explicit in their reporting of homicides because they can't. But back in the nineteen sixties, every detail of a murder was basically reprinted in the newspapers, and oftentimes journalists, looking to get a hea line or to have more people read their newspapers, would invent information and put it in the newspapers. And why I mentioned that is because when Albert Tsalvo began to confessing to these murders, he was regurgitating misinformation that had been printed in the newspapers at the time. Now, you mentioned the family of the lead detective and John Denatally or fildan Itally, who was one of the detectives in the strangler case.
Speaker 2: He wasn't the lead detective. He was just one of the detectives.
Speaker 3: You look at families like that, and I think that they don't want to necessarily, you know, revisit the past because their entire you know, family history has been based on their loved one catching the Boston Strangler. But that's a myth. Nobody caught Albert de Salvo. He was already in jail and he was confessing two crimes that didn't happen. The person that actually took the interrogation wasn't a seasoned investigator at all. His name was John Bottomley, and he was the assistant Attorney General of Massachusetts John Bottomley's history. He'd been an eminent domain lawyer from Massachusetts, a real estate lawyer, who had no experience ever investigator or investigating or interrogating a suspect in any criminal matter. And here he is confronting what, you know, some believed at the time was the most dangerous serial killer in American history.
Speaker 1: So how did Albert DeSalvo get all this information? I've heard it from you, but I want the audience to hear how he started confessing and how he got any of the facts.
Speaker 3: Well, you mentioned definitely Bailey, who you know had been one of my arch nemesis, you know, during the course of my investigative career. But we actually later became dear friends, and I wrote the prologue to Lee's last book before he passed away.
Speaker 2: Well f Lee.
Speaker 3: Bailey was representing a young, cold hearted killer named George Nasser in nineteen sixty four. Nassar was one of the real Boston stranglers who had in fact murdered maybe four to five of the murder victims in the general Boston area, and George Nasser was cellmates with Albert Tasalvo and Naser needed money to support his defense because he thought he was going to be getting out of prison for murdering a gas station attendant, so he needed to pay flee Bailey, and the only way he could do that was getting a guy like Albert Tasalvo to confess to the crimes because there was what they believed one hundred thousand dollars reward for information leading to the Boston strangler arrest, and so DeSalvo and Nassar had kind of dollar signs in their eyes. DeSalvo confessed with information handed to him by Naser. He confessed to the crimes and oftentimes went off script giving false information in his interrogation, which is one of the reasons why he was never charged with any of the murders, because they would never have been able to convict him in a court of in a criminal court because all the information, or most of it, was inaccurate.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, you have done the line's share of the work gathering, collecting, and reporting on this case. What do you think is the most critical piece of evidence to show there was more than one killer? Just one thing?
Speaker 3: There are several things, you know, not only the DNA test of my aunt's remains, but going back to the original case files, looking at these cases, going back to the original reporting and the public statements made by police at the time.
Speaker 2: I worked with.
Speaker 3: One of the Boston Strangler homicide detectives, Jim Mellon, who was adamant that Albert Salvo was not the killer. In fact, a Salvo told him he was not the killer, and he had serious suspects in at least six of these Boston homicides. Now, as I mentioned, there are dozens of unsolved homicides across the United States, Boston Strangler type murders that still need to be judicated and solved. There's no statute limitation on murder Cheryl, so these cases are still open and should be looked at with a clear eye. I would press your audience to just go on to NBC Peacock or the USA Network and watch Boston Strangler Unheard confession and here DeSalvo in his own words, and make your own judgment on whether or not he was confessing to events that never happened, or whether he was the killer.
Speaker 1: Do you have a prosecutor open to listening to you.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, it's ancient history. As far as the prosecutors in Massachusetts are you know how they believe things are happening. So and what they're I think afraid of is lawsuits. Lawsuits not by my family but other families that will come up and say, you knew you got the wrong guy in the nineteen sixties and you let my you know, loved ones murderer go free. So I think there's a lot of political pressure to keep this case kind of under wraps a little bit. But as I say, you know, we're all students of this case. Even I'm a student of this case. Yes I'm an expert, but I'm learning new things every day, and I would just ask your audience and ask any investigator be open to new material that may change your mind on you know, how you think these cases were not only investigated at the time, but how they may have also been covered up over the last fifty years.
Speaker 1: So I know you've lost your mama now, but I know what your work meant to her. I mean, you showcased her sister, you talked about her. We didn't really know anything about all the victims like you presented Mary to us. I can tell you my students reading a Rose for Mary changed the way they investigate cases. And now at their respected departments. So you know that had to mean so much to her that you would do that.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you did, and I appreciate you saying that, Jeryld. You know, you know she wanted justice for her sister. My mother is the real hero in this story. It's not me and I maybe the conduit of some of the information, but she was the person that didn't back down, that refused to give up hope that at least should find some answers to the murder of her, of her beloved sister. You know, and you talk about, you know, Albert DeSalvo being stabbed to death in prison in nineteen seventy three, Well he was stabbed to death just days before he was going to recant his confession to the entire world. So this was really to keep him quiet. I interviewed the actual prison guards who were on duty in November nineteen sixty three, and I'm sorry November nineteen seventy three, and they were paid to look the other way. They saw the killer get in and get out of the prison infirmary with a knife covered in blood, and nobody saw a thing.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I also uncovered Ryll dozens of letters written by Albert DeSalvo in his own hands in one of the smoking guns. That also leads me to believe he wasn't the killer is that he wrote a letter telling people that he was going to recant the confession, that he was going to name names, that he was going to blow up this entire case, and within days he staffed it in.
Speaker 1: You know, we both have mentioned Flee Bailey. When I talked to him about this case, I said to him, well, you know, this case kind of elevated your fame, and you even bought a helicopter and he granted and he said, I bought a hellic copter company.
Speaker 2: Yeah that sounds like.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I mean it did elevate him. There's no doubt it made him famous.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I mean he became an international name.
Speaker 2: At the time, he had just defended.
Speaker 3: Doctor Sam Shepherd, which was inspired the TV show in the movie The Fugitive, But the Boston Strangler case really put him on the map. And as I mentioned, he and I battled on cable TV for years. Finally we get together for lunch. A mutual friend of ours put us together and I said, well, when hell Freeze is over, am I ever going to sit down with me, Bailey and Scar Enough we did, and you know, we each learned a little bit from each other and help that we were drinking heavily at that time, and two Irish guys start singing Irish fight songs and we're stumbling out of the bar with our arms wrapped around each other. And as I said, we became great friends after that. Bailey is a crafty, crafty attorney.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I had to give him his props in terms of how he was able to kind of manipulate this case, you know, in the nineteen sixties and elevate himself and doing so for his own reasons. But you know, do I believe what he was doing was wrong? Certainly, and I told him that, and so there was never any dancing around how he felt about the case with each other. We did become friends, you know, unlikely friends, if you will.
Speaker 2: After that.
Speaker 1: Well, it's hard not to get drawn in by just his charisma and his stories in his life. I mean, he I mean, you know, let's face it, I mean, he was who he was. But as far as American history and famous crimes go, his name is there a lot.
Speaker 2: There's a tribute, No, And he was as you mentioned a very charming guy.
Speaker 3: You know, I kind of you know, I thought of him as my crazy uncle by at the end.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Well, let me just say one thing about Zone seven that I love is I try to have something that a young detective or a rookie can take and just kind of put in their mental toolbox. And one thing you said that is just hauntingly accurate is the case the investigation doesn't end. It doesn't end at arrest. It doesn't even necessarily end after somebody's convicted. If there's any loose ends, anything that needs to be tied up, you need to tie up. And I am telling you, in twenty ten, this was the biggest case the Cold Case Investigative Research Institute had ever worked on. When it was quote solved in you know, twenty thirteen, we thought this is awesome. You know. We said that they need to a zoom him and cross check the DNA. We thought that's great. We had an action plan, we had a solvability factor, and we were done. And it was and I'd followed you. I mean, I've seen all the movies, I've got all your books, but I had not heard you talk, honey until we were at the Hampton's, and I'm like, what have we missed. I've got to get him on the Zone seven because people need to know there is more of the story. And I also love the fact that you keep saying, listen to his words and make your own mind up. And that is to me one of the best things that you can tell anybody, whether they're detective or not, make your own mind up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, one hundred percent. And you know this this documentary that is out now. I actually asked the producers, I said, interview John Dinna Telly. He's got a different, you know, viewpoint than I do. You know, I want you know, I want these different you know, conversation is productive. As long as it's productive, it's great. You know, let's agree over the evidence again and again. There may be something I missed early, maybe be something you missed, but be open to it. Be open to, you know, a change of the parrot if you will. That's what separates the real investigators from you know, the not so real investigators.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, Yeah, and I believe in going to the source. I don't care who the source is, whether they're a criminal or a police officer or a prosecutor go to the source. And you know, when I met with John, he said, of all the movies, all the books, all the magazines, he said, do you know you're the first person that's ever coming here. And I said, well, that's what I'm saying. You got to look at it. And when I looked to that file, I was so impressed by just the you know, seene drawings that their dad had done, and the painstaking work that he had put in sitting at their kitchen table that he drew by hand like it was insane. And uh, you know when I've said that at every police academy that I've talked about cold cases, I said, you know, y'all like y'all can't do a sketch, it ain't got to be good, But you act like you can't do one much less what he did to scale with no computer equipment that we have today. So it's all a good lesson. But you know, Casey Sherman, I appreciate you. I appreciate you being a part of my Zone seven. I appreciate you answering the phone in two thousand and nine. I appreciate you buying me lunch because that was I'm telling you all, the best time chowder I've ever had, and I just appreciate you sharing Mary's story. I think it's powerful and important.
Speaker 3: Same here errel Well, thank you, and again thanks to your audience for listening. And as I said, make up your own mind, whether it's the case that we're talking about today or a case that somebody might be investigating.
Speaker 1: On their own. I'm going to end Zone seven the way that I always do with a quote. There was not a single serial killer. There were several. Casey Sherman, author and nephew of Mary Sullivan. I'm Cheryl McCollum, and this is Own seven