Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we always mind the gap.
Speaker 2: I am Greg Rosenthal, and I am here.
Speaker 1: Excited to be joined by Neil Reynolds of Sky Sports. Neil, every week I picked games against the spread with my friend Cynthia Frielan. She's back in Los Angeles, so you're filling in for her.
Speaker 2: She's like a statistical expert.
Speaker 1: She has models that are spitting out who is going to win and who is going to lose. I assume you have done equal amount of preparation to tell me who your picks are going to be.
Speaker 3: I've written three picks down on a cult.
Speaker 1: Okay that works, so yes, I struggled again last week. It's really going getting out of hand. I went one and two. I felt confident about my picks, so my record for the season is under five hundred. I'm not feeling and good, but every week at the end of the show, I give a few little extra picks, and I am thirteen and three on those extra picks. So my main picks have been bad, my extra picks have been good. So just keep that in mind if you are listening as our guest. Neil Reynolds of course of Sky Sports, will be the main presenter, the main host on the Sunday coverage of Jaguars Bears and every Sunday. If you're watching the NFL in the UK, you know Neil Reynolds, he's there with you. He's just like a I was going to say, a warm glass of milk, but that doesn't sound very exciting. More like a cold pint of beer with you alongside every week.
Speaker 2: Why don't you give me your first pick to get us going?
Speaker 3: So I see that I'm sort of learning about spreads. I'm not very good at this sort of the whole thing. I think I've got it. So Detroit are favored by three yes against the Dallas team that I think Dallas look like at times, they look like they're imploding. It looks like there's a crack in the cd L Dak Prescott relationship. Dak blows hot and cold, They've got injuries on defense, yet they still find a way to win in Pittsburgh. So I feel that Dallas can certainly cover those three points against the Detroit Lions soon Cowboys at home.
Speaker 1: Now, I like that as sort of a that's gonna go against what the public is doing. That's like always a smart way to back essentially. And I know we're we're not allowed to as NFL employees, but we are just picking up, like what games we like. And that's one where everyone's gonna look at that line and everyone's gonna say, oh, the Lions are coming off of.
Speaker 2: A bye Yep, the.
Speaker 1: Cowboys are more banged up than they've ever been. It's actually written.
Speaker 2: Down on my list.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to opposite you. I'm going Detroit minus three. Partly because of the injuries, yeah, that the Cowboys had, Partly because of the running game that you just it's sort of hard to imagine this, this Dallas defense stopping them. And then you think about this game last year and the Cowboys are not the same team as they were a year ago, whereas the Lions feel like they are. They've kept it pretty simple for Jared Goff. He's not had to do a lot of work into tight windows, whereas Dak Prescott has to.
Speaker 2: And so that's why I'm going Lions.
Speaker 1: Right. All of that said, they always say like there's a reason why the house always wins. Whose beautiful whenever it looks too obvious, right, And it's like a home underdog by only three, But they have actually a good quarterback. That's where you tend to see some surprising results. So you are maybe on the sharp side of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'm hoping that that is the case. I think you've always got that potential for big seed LAMB game. Now, I'm gonna talk myself out of it a tiny bit here because I don't know what the plan was with Dallas bringing Zeke back. That's a concern with the running game. I like how Detroit have I like how they've handled being in the spotlight. Dan Campbell said they're gonna have a target on their bank, and they've handled that pretty well. But I'm just I'm literally just going based off that can have hot games. It's in Dallas. He's got one of the best wide receivers in the NFL. And as bad as it was last week, they won on the road.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's go to my second pick. So yes, I'm Detroit minus three. I'm gonna go Giants plus three and a half. We talked about this game on the previews show. Yeah, and I felt smarter being on the Giant side when Ali Connolly was kind of like, yeah, the Giants look good in this game. He's such a smart mind. I'm like, okay, I feel even better. It helped lock it in. I look to the lines, and I don't mean like the spread. Although again, a home underdog three and a half points at home to a team that's one and four and as one of the worst defenses in the league. At some point you have to just say, like, this really is one of the worst defenses in the league. Now, I'm talking about like line play. I think the Giants offensive line I've been banging this drum has in one of the most underrated groups in the league. They've protected Daniel Jones pretty well. You saw last week the running Game traveled to Seattle. I think it'll work absolutely at home in this game, and so that's a mismatch. We're taping this earlier in the week than I would like. I'd love to know if the Lake Neighbors plays in this game. But I think you saw last week Brian Dable can cook up a scheme getting Darius Slayton over one hundred yards. Theo Johnson had a nice game. Wando Robinson's getting the third down. So can they beat up on a bad defense, Well, they beat up on the Seahawks last week. They were pretty dominant last week. I don't know if they win this game three and a half points, though, I think Brian Dable right now, that's a mismatch enough that when I look at the other side of the ball, I see the Giants defense. They've been playing pretty good up front, and that's a good matchup. That's a tough matchup against the Bengals offense. I'm not saying they're gonna slow them down that much in the secondary, but they could maybe get some heat on Joe Burrow that Burrow hasn't seen.
Speaker 2: And so I just like that as we're.
Speaker 1: Of a closer to a tas up of a matchup, and I'll take the three and a half points.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, I think that last week was the best I've seen the Giants play in a long time. If that's carries on, Daniel Jones is going to ruin some narratives because that's been that he's a struggle and he's a problem. I still look at the Bengals, though, I would go the other way. I would go Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Even with the three and a half points.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I just see so I watched that game against Baltimore last week, and I still see the best two teams in the NFC North AFC North. And the reason is because this is still a quarterback league, and Joe Burrow is special and Jamar chases up to speed. T Higgins is back, he looks good, and so I believe that the Bengals, even though they're one and four, are actually not just a team that can win this game. I think they could be a playoff team. So I think they're not dead because of Joe Burrow.
Speaker 1: I think that's our fair and I think Chase Brown has been quietly a really nice addition to their offense. Good un passing downs, has a lot of explosion, so they have a running game. I don't think they really missed Joe Mixing. The offensive line for them has played well too. I think they are actually two of the better offensive lines in the entire NFL. And I hear all that, and yet I still will take the three and a half points.
Speaker 2: I just don't.
Speaker 1: I just think it's going to be close at the end, and so maybe they win, but it's a it's a it's a Harrison not Harrison Bucker and Evan McPherson type of field game.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget doing.
Speaker 1: Bengals Packers with you actually in the Sky Sports studio in a total field goal fest a couple of years ago, and it was actually the coming out party of Evans, just like we're studio Toham.
Speaker 2: Who who is crazy? Yeah? Those are those are long days, all right? Give me your second pick.
Speaker 3: So green Bay a favored by five against the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: I think the Cardinals. I don't think they win the game at lambeau Field, but I think they cover that love it so again. I always look for splashy playmakers that can upset the form book, and that's Kyler Murray can do that. Marvin Harrison Junior stepped up on a big four and five last week. I think Kyler can He can make enough plays to make this uncomfortable for the Packers, and Green Bay are making it uncomfortable for themselves. Jordan Love needs to take better care of the football. I mean that's been the thing for me since he's come back from the knee injury. Is like that that shouldn't affect your decision making, but for some reason that has been the case. So I think there's enough mistakes in Jordan Love and enough good stuff from Kyler Murray to make this close. I still think green Bay get the win, but I think the Cardinals can go in there. And we're still trying to figure the Cardinals out. But when you're trying to figure somebody out, where a team out. If you've got a playmaking star and now Kyler can have some bad plays as well, but he'll give you those highs, then I think you've always got a chance.
Speaker 1: I think they're running him has got and go in the Cardinals the last couple of weeks. I think that's where Green Bay is really vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Defense lead.
Speaker 1: They need more out of Rashaan Gary, out of Kenny Clark. They're players that they're giving a lot of money too. Yeah, it's a pretty average defense, below average defense, and so this Cardinals group going up against them, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: They were on my they're on my extra picks list.
Speaker 1: You actually have a couple that are on it, So they're on my kind of extra picks that the plus five that's too much. Kyler Murray is at the point now where you're right, both of these teams, I'm not totally sure what I'm getting out of. But then I'll take the five points, and that the Cardinals are one of those teams. And I do think they are an underrated coaching staff that's gonna throw a lot at you, and it's not gonna work every week. Sometimes it's gonna like you're not gonna throw the dice. Well, you're gonna get yatzi or whatever it is, because they get very creative what they do and and occasionally you'll get blasted like they did against Washington. But I think in other games you can have a coaching advantage, and I think they will when they have the ball and offense, I think they'll throw enough at the Jordan Love offense to muck it up.
Speaker 3: And that's the biggest thing I'm looking forward the Packers over the next couple of weeks is that progression to see the Jordan Love that we saw at the second half of last year, tidy all of that up and be the star you were at the back end of last year. And we've seen that yet.
Speaker 1: It's an exciting game, it should be a fun one, should have a lot of points. I'm changing mine mid show. So we did the previous show with Ollie Connelly and your friend Nat Coom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your friend of me and.
Speaker 1: They kind of got me off of going Patriots plus seven. Okay, I just think that's too much, so I'm gonna put that in my extra picks. But I do feel a little better about Pittsburgh minus three in Las Vegas this week. This is just one where you're trusting the organization. You're looking at what's happening in Vegas. Injuries, Yeah, on the defensive line, losing Christian Wilkins. Obviously DeVante Adams is out for this game, probably will never play for the Raiders ever. Again, you're changing quarterback. I think it's a downgrade. Here's a reason they chose Minshew in the preseason. He looked better. I was at training him. I've never seen a quarterback struggle more in a single practice than I saw Aiden O'Connell's struggle.
Speaker 2: And he struggled. Last week.
Speaker 1: He came into the game, he played worse than Minshew. And so you're going up against the Steelers defense that is banged up, but they're coming off of two losses.
Speaker 2: They really need a win.
Speaker 1: I just trust the Steelers more to grind out a victory. They have the better quarterback in this game. Justin Fields has played pretty consistently.
Speaker 3: I would agree with you. I think it was telling in the summer when it took so long for Antonio Pierce to decide who was going to be the quarterback. I think he settled on the right one. But it was kind of the lesser of two. Now, I'm not calling them evil. I'm talking it's just I.
Speaker 2: Think the lesser of two evils is fairer.
Speaker 3: I know you're very like, yes, so the lesser of two evils, Man, I just don't. I just don't see this franchise going anywhere the right until they fix that position. We know it's a league of haves and have not and they have not.
Speaker 1: So you're very polite like on the air, Yeah, but I know those elbows can be pretty show.
Speaker 2: So how do you get into that Roger Goodell dinner? You know, like you gotta be doing something right behind the scenes. I want a little more of that.
Speaker 3: Got to invite yourself, Greg.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Actually, no, I'm with you on that one. I think that's the strong.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me your last pick.
Speaker 3: So I checked with you when when I wrote this one down there, I had it the right way or not the right way round, but it was this big Baltimore By six and a half against Washington. Maybe this means I'm buying all the Washington hype, but I think that's that's generous to the to the Ravens, and I think Washington can cover again. I think Baltimore for me, are and they were even when they were owing to Baltimore for me, are one of the best teams in the league. So they were my pick to go to the Super Bowl. I would still say that's the case. But I'm believing in Jayden Daniels. I'm believing in Washington in the way they help him out. Now he contributes as well. He had like over eighty yards on the ground last week, but they've been rushing for over two hundred yards, you know, and it's it's Brian's Jeremy McNichols, and then there's passes to the Army Brown Terry McLaurin. I mean, it looks like a complete offense. Looks like I mean, that's this Ostin Eckler breaking tackles and then not breaking away, but like breaking tackles and getting into open fields. So yeah, I think it's a I think it's a dangerous offense. I think it's a very promising offense. I didn't Baltimore win the game, but I think Washington gonna make this a close one. And I like the fact that this is a you know, this is Lamar Jackson against potentially the next Lamar Jackson. That's that's I know.
Speaker 2: It's on one hand, it's like a basic comparison. On the other it's true.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I mean, like I think people have been afraid to make it because it's like, Okay, here here's another running quarterback. Here's another like exciting young black quarterback who's a dynamic runner but wins from the pocket, which is an underrated part.
Speaker 2: And the way they came into the league.
Speaker 1: Now, Lamar had to wait seven or eight games before he came in, but if you look at those first games, the efficiency and the occasional deep pass, there's a lot of similarities to be had. I think there's similarities with RGC three certainly as well. The difference that Jayden Daniels has because I and I think it's because he's twenty four years old, and you talked about it on our Thursday show about Caleb Williams and his leadership. I'm really impressed with his leadership too, But I think Jayden Daniels as a twenty four year old.
Speaker 2: Is so much. I think he probably was a.
Speaker 1: Mature twenty two year old too, not that I knew him then, but he's so mature and he commands such respect, and I think he understands the big picture on the field and off the field in a way that's really unique among quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: And I think it makes sense.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's literally three years old older than Drake may right, and he's played at multiple different colleges and been in different situations, and I think, you know, that is a big deal.
Speaker 3: I think it matters. I agree.
Speaker 1: I think it matters too, like understanding defenses and understanding like your strengths and weaknesses. Like it totally makes sense to me that he can get out there are guns ways.
Speaker 3: I think you get a job like that, which is one of the toughest jobs in the world in terms of sports, and you learn three more years. You know, look compared to you compared Jayden Daniels at twenty four to sam Donold coming in at twenty one. Right in New York. I mean, you know, Washington's another market that grabs a lot of attention. So it's not like he's gone to the middle of nowhere, not.
Speaker 2: Like they will, but it's almost been like I feel like that, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I feel like they've grabbed attention for probably the wrong reasons. Yes, so they've grabbed that. They've been the talk of various things in the NFL, and I think so people pay attention to to Washington. I think he's and he's just one of those players that can do what Lamar does, which is defy logic change a game, you know, and we saw we saw that with Lamar and the Sam Hubbard stiff arm and everything last week, which was one of the most amazing players I've ever seen. So, you know, we and it is an obvious comparison, but I work. I'm not trying to. I'm saying because I know because on TV, like I work on Sky on a Sunday night, and obviously we sell the quarterbacks. These quarterbacks will sell themselves on Sunday because they are box that they can once got the potential to be box office. And we already know. The other one absolutely is.
Speaker 1: We're living in a golden age of quarterbacks. Like really, I know people are like, oh, there's not enough quarterbacks. Like when I was young, who did I like the most. I like the running quarterbacks. Randall Cunningham helped me grow my love of the game. And now we have a great era of running quarterbacks, except they can all win from the pocket right to justin even in showing that and so it it's a diversity in game style and one just like kind of hardcore thing. I want to mention this Ravens secondary is not playing up to their capability. That's why they brought Dean pas In and old trust in hand as a coach this week. Nate Wiggins has certainly struggled. Their safety position has struggled. That Marcus Williams and Eddie Jackson duo looks like, ooh, they they've taken on some years and maybe this is the year that it's it's not working too much. And so that's why the six and a half points. They're on my my extra pick list as well. Now, we started out talking about talking about basic picks. You were going the basic pick was Detroit Early That's the one I took.
Speaker 2: The public.
Speaker 1: I don't even know the public will be all over your side because the average person is going to look at that and say, why would Washington be a six and a half point favorite, and history has told me to be wary of those situations, like whenever the public is on one side. So I think a lot of people will agree with you. I agree with you. I think that's disrespectful for how good this Washington offense has been to give them that many points. But usually when the public is on one side, we'll see, like the Ravens are a great team. Maybe this will be a come down to earth game for Washington. I don't agree. So I mentioned how I've done better with the extra picks every week. That's one reason why I'm throwing in that Patriots pick and my extra picks. So Patriots plus seven. You already mentioned Arizona plus five. I like that too, and then let's go with Washington plus six and a half. And if can I ask you a question, if I was truly bloodless, I would also take the Browns plus nine. But at this point I am on a not picking Deshaun Watson under any strategy because I just didn't enjoy the.
Speaker 2: Experience so much a couple of weeks ago. It was against the Raiders.
Speaker 1: But nine points is an incredible amount for this version of you, So that is not one of my extra picks. My extra picks will be the Patriots, the Cardinals, and the Washington Commanders, all as pretty good sized underdogs.
Speaker 2: Those are my extra picks this week.
Speaker 3: You know I asked questions for list. Please ask you.
Speaker 2: I know you got to go.
Speaker 3: So, Drake May, are you excited?
Speaker 1: Very not expecting him to play that well this season? But I'm expecting to watch the tape by the end of the season and see progress and see enough plays within a few weeks time to be excited, right. Not excited about Alex van Pelt, their coordinator, right, I think I don't think he's the right guy. I'm worried that they don't have the right infrastructure around him as a coaching staff or talent, and that's you can only play so well.
Speaker 3: The Jackson Patriots next week at Wembley Stadium. Got a lot more interesting to watch, Drake May, because I just like you, I'm the same. I want to see the physical tools can create a Sometimes you see that quarterback change that it's going to be hard because there's not a lot of people you can spark there in New England, but we can see that with a quarterback, and I'd just like to see is there going to be growth by the end of the year, and so you know going into year two there's something to build.
Speaker 1: I think Caleb Williams is really instructive the way his season started against some tough opponents, and how Allie Connelly talked about they almost put too much on his play early and they had to pair it back down and then start building him up, and now you're seeing the Caleb Williams. Drake may could have that sort of progression where it's a little rough against bad opponents early, like the Texas this week, but then you look at the schedule, including the Jaguars in London, and I see, okay, those are some games he could get some time. And he was in a similar situation in college at UNC where he was outmatched in terms of his team was not as talented as the team he was playing. His offensive line couldn't really protect him. So I think that was good practice for him for the NFL, and he was such an exciting prospect. I had him solidly over Jade and Daniels. Maybe that's gonna look bad, uh in time. Certainly, Jade and Daniels is proving he's the man, But I think Drake may is going to have an awesome career and it's going to be a great quarterback.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited to see our future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking forward to watching him. It just makes that scenem more watchable straight away. So I hope there's a spark there.
Speaker 1: Listen and listen to me say an hour that was that was bad. I'm really not at this point. I'm a little just like disconnected, but I'm in. I'm all in on the Drake May Express, I'm all in on Neo Reynolds. Everyone check out his podcast of course, every week who.
Speaker 2: Doeside inside the Huddle?
Speaker 1: He does it through Sky and then obviously check him out. I'm going to be on your podcast this week actually, so just check me out there and check out uh Neil every week on Sky Sports.
Speaker 2: He does a great job.
Speaker 1: And yes, when when I'm over here and I get to have my uh Neo Reynolds quality time once a year, uh, that's when.
Speaker 2: You know that football is back.
Speaker 1: We will be back on Sunday doing a recap show. I'm really excited to this do this. It's gonna be crazy one am in the morning. I'll be there with a great gang. Phoebe Scheckter from Sky's going to be there. Alli Connelly's going to be there, Will Gavin from talkSPORT who's fantastic, is going to be there with me. We're going to be loopy because it's going to be at one in the morning. So that'll be the next podcast you hear in this feed, and then I'll be back stateside as they say here, and back to our normal schedule.
Speaker 2: It keeps going. Very excited.
Speaker 1: Thank you again, jo Ned. We will see you next time.