Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to some troubling developments with regard to this OpenAI whistleblower.
Speaker 4: We can put this up on this screen.
Speaker 2: He was a former researcher at OpenAI turned whistleblower, and he has sadly been found dead in his apartment in San Francisco. According to authorities, they ruled his death to be a suicide. They say police found no evidence of foul play. In October, The New York Times had published an interview with mister Bology. His name is Suchier Bology and he alleged that open ai had violated US copyright law while it was developing chat gpt, and he became so disturbed by what he learned about his you know, his allegations about their copyright violations, and how unethical this was and how damaging it ultimately was to the entire Internet ecosystem. He felt he could no longer remain at open ai, and then you know, came out as a whistleblower. We can put this next piece up on the screen, which includes some of his writings and thoughts. This is something that he posted relatively recently, says I recently participated in New York Times story about fair use and generative AI YM skeptical fair use would be a plausible defense for a lot of generative AI products. I also wrote a blog post to give some context. I was at open ai for nearly four years, worked on chat GPT for the last one and a half of them. I initially didn't know much about copyright, fair use, et cetera, but became curious after seeing all the lawsuits. When I tried to understand the issue better, I came to the conclusion that fair use seems like a pretty implausible defense for a lot of generative AI products for the basic reason that they can create substitutes that compete with the data they are trained on. I've written up the more detailed reasons for why I believe this in my post. Obviously I'm not a lawyer, but I still feel like it's important for even non lawyers to understand the law, both the letter of it and why it's actually there in the first place. That being said, he goes on to say, I don't want this to read as a critique of chat, GPT or open AI per se, because fair use and generative AI is a much broader issue than any one product or company.
Speaker 4: And I also went.
Speaker 2: Back to read the New York Times story that he references here that he was you know, he was really featured in and was kind of the main character in. And one of the things that he told the Times was quote, if you believe what I believe, you have to just leave the company. He had not taken a new job at that time. Back in October, he said he was working on what he calls personal projects. Was among the first employees to leave a major AI company and speak out publicly against the way these companies have used copyrighted data to create their technologies, and he believes the threats are more immediate than some of the you know, some of the things we've talked about on the show, like the potential extremely dystopian possibilities that have been raised by some of the people who are concerned about the AI future.
Speaker 4: He says the threats are more immediate.
Speaker 2: Chat GPTO and other chatbots, he said, are destroying the commercial viability of the individuals, businesses, and internet services they created the digital data used to train these AI systems.
Speaker 4: And obviously, if his view were to hold in let's say, a court of.
Speaker 2: Law, it really would fundamentally disturb, disrupt, undercut this entire now massive industry that all of Silicon Valley is effectively placing gigantic, multi billion, if not trillion dollar bets on the amounts of money that are at stake at this point in you know, AI development that are that already have manifested themselves are quite astric which is why you know, police say it was a suicide. We have no specific evidence to indicate otherwise. But when you see someone who is a key player blowing the whistle on these practices, who could potentially be a danger to a multi, multi hundreds of millions of dollar industry, billions of dollars industry. You have to raise questions about what exactly happened here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And you know, if you look at the circumstances too, Like you said, at least the medical examiner or the police, they claimed that there was no foul play. But I just think in the context of what you were just saying, there is obvious that we should at least take it seriously like we did with the Boeing investigation. Let's put this up there on the screen. Open AI has a lot of steak right now. Right now, Sam Altman is donating one million dollars to the Donald Trump Inaugural Fund. The Financial Times and others have reported by the way that his feud with Elon Musk is like a potential existential threat to the company. They have talked about how he has made you know, and look, it's actually true. There is a huge divergence between AI theory of some of the people like David Sachs, Elon Musk, Mark Andresen around open source AI versus the closed quote unquote responsibility AI systems that open AI and Microsoft want, which is basically a monopolistic like gateway over their current systems. There are billions of dollars at steak, just personally for Sam Altman. There are trillions of dollars at steak, for Microsoft for its market cap, and for the entire tech industry. Put the next one up there on the screen, for example, open ai is quote Sam Altman quote worked for love. Now he's going to make ten point five billion. This is something that Elon has also talked about. It's like, oh, it's miraculous. You start out as a nonprofit and then you eventually hit paydirt. Then you just go through all of this fake legal you know, maneuvering to convert yourself to a for profit organization that's worth one hundred and fifty billion dollars, and now you're a multi billionaire on paper who's already quite well with Yes, he already.
Speaker 4: Was, but you know, I mean multi never hurts, right, And.
Speaker 3: Look, I don't think it's about money per se. It's about power. It's about control. And so if a single individual in this organization feels that this is a threat, yeah, look we got to take it seriously. There's just way too much here at stake and in a sense, I think we should take some of these people at their word. I don't even one hundred percent believe like AI is going to be the one hundred percent know the future, the determiner of everything, It's going to change the fundamental relationship of humanity to each other, et cetera. But if we take them seriously and they believe that to be true, then the stakes couldn't be higher. I mean, you know, it's like being in the forefront of the smartphone. It was a multi literal trillion dollar industry. So that's what they believe at the very least. Take a look at this whistleblower. I mean, there's a lot of sketchy people involved in these companies, Saudi's, you know, they've been investing in Silicon Valley, all these other foreign agents, governments, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So a lot of people have a lot of money.
Speaker 2: This is a big money, high stage game that's being played, and you can see it too in the contours of this election. I mean, with both crypto and AI, which kind of like you know, linked as a certain sense, is like these technologies allegedly of the future, astronomical record breaking amounts of money spent you know, Elon, he has a lot of different motives, but certainly with him and Risen and David Sachs and others making sure that they can have a free hand to develop these technologies and benefit from these technologies in the way that they want was certainly a motivating factor in the way that they participated in this election. So Sam Altman right now is in is in suck up mode. You know, that's where the million dollars to Trump inaugural comes from. He also was asked about Elon and Tojin he was.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm sure it'd be great.
Speaker 2: Sure, no problems there. Elon the magnificent. I never had a bad word to say about him. Love the guy, he's he's wonderful. So he's you know, the vibe is panic, right. The vibe there honestly should be definitely penny. Yeah, because Elon now is probably the most powerful person in the world, in addition to already being the wealthiest person in the world. So you know that he's on the wrong side of him is potentially this is White devastating his own personal goal.
Speaker 3: At least my hope is because I think it's outrageous what they have done. You take a nonprofit, develop a consumer platform, you convert it to for profit. You sign a partnership with the largest tech company in the world. You lobby the government to create guardrails so that no new entrance can enter the space. You've created all these fake licensing agreements, incorporating it into Microsoft's like office environment. And you know, now we're talking about tech what was it, We're talking about Pentagon contracts and all this other stuff. I mean, the acceleration of this and it's its power in the United States in just the last five years is extraordinary. So yeah, oversight great, open source absolutely the less power these people have the better off in my opinion, especially again if we are to believe them. But any Yeah, that's the one thing I think Elon is one hundred percent correct.
Speaker 2: I think I differ on this because I don't think open source is the answer, although I think it's better than monopoly control from like a Microsoft, so I think it's superior to the sam Altman moder model. But I think there has to be significant government regulation to make sure that these new technologies benefit humanity rather than benefiting just you know a few.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with you or like total private I actually for like a set standard, as in, this is our problem with social media and all these problems with moderation. It's like, okay, listen, we just pass a law that says you moderate per.
Speaker 1: The First Amendment.
Speaker 3: It's like, that's it. Take all this crap off the table on AI. It's like, no political interference with this. You have to have a copyright compensation, right, let's figure all this out first and not fall into the same trap as Section two thirty, like with the Internet in nineteen ninety six or whatever. And we're like, oh, yeah, you know this bill click. I was at the White House Christmas tour and they have a photo of Clinton sending the first email in ninety six.
Speaker 1: On this like brick laptop.
Speaker 3: But you're like, I mean this thing is gigantic. I was like this this thick.
Speaker 4: Oh you don't mean literally, no, no.
Speaker 3: Like like a literal It looks like a brick from nineteen ninety six. And you could see him hunched over like this. He can tell he doesn't even know how to type, which is hilarious, you know, like the classic boomer the boomer fingers and yeah, and I was look at it.
Speaker 4: It's crazy to think typ like on like actual typewriters.
Speaker 1: It was, you would hope. So I don't think so.
Speaker 3: From what I saw, he's got the classic like chicken peck thing going on. I think he sent it. I forget who he sent the email to. Anyway, My point is I was alive for that, right. So what we've seen, that acceleration happened, and at that time, nobody could have predicted with the Internet, you know, would have become. At that time, they called it the Information super Highway. So let's just set the standards now and then we don't have to worry as much and you can actually be better off for every everybody. We're going to have more entrance, etc. But instead, what's going to happen. You're gonna multily.
Speaker 1: You know already what it is.
Speaker 3: We've got lobbyists in Washington, we got a multi billion trillion dollar industry, you know, basically the S and P five hundred. If a single one of these stocks goes down, I think it's like the majority of the gains of the S and P five hundred is seven stocks. If Nvidia, which already by the way, didn't meet expectations in its last one, if it has a couple of down quarters boom. The whole US economy can go like that. So there's a lot riding on this, and it is very terrifying, Crystal, what are you taking a look at?
Speaker 2: Well, in the wake of their stunning defeat, Democrats and legacy media have been unusually receptive to hearing a little bit from Bernie Sanders and his assessment of what went wrong. Of course, this openness comes oh, roughly a decade too late, but it is much deserved. He's been cracked on many things, from our disastrous wars, to Wall Streets impunity, to the Democratic Party's disastrous abandonment of working class people. And now, in a viral clip, Bernie Sanders is sounding the alarm on America.
Speaker 4: Can oligarchy take a listen?
Speaker 5: We are moving rapidly into an oligarchic form of society. Never before in American history have so few billionaires, so few people, have so much wealth and so much power. Never before has there been so much concentration of ownership sector after sector, power of Wall Street. And never before in American history, and we better talk about this, have the people on top had so much political power?
Speaker 1: We can't go around the world.
Speaker 5: Take Oh, well, you know, in Russia, Putin has an oligarchy. Well, we got an oligarchy here too, And in this last election, in both parties, billionaires spent huge amounts of money to elect their candidates.
Speaker 2: Now the pathway too, this oligarchy was paid with many things. You had Supreme Court decisions opening the floodgates of unlimited campaign contributions. You had the Republican Party's long held position carrying water for the wealthy, any of the Democratic parties, Clinton eir capitulation to these very same forces. All of these developments led to the money over everything nature of the recent presidential election, in which Kamala Harris raised record breaking amounts of cash in a record breaking amount of time, and where Trump openly prompts billionaires he would do their bidding if he was elected. Now his campaign received extraordinary bribes one hundred million dollars from Miriam Adelson over a quarter billion from Elon Musk. Musk's donation was of a size that, at least as far as we know, has never before seen in history. And Trump is already rewarding his big donors with consequential roles and what amounts to a brazen selling of government positions According to a CNN analysis, nearly three dozen of Trump's key administration picks were donors to his campaign. Now, of course, rewarding supporters with positions that is also nothing new, but the size and scope here are truly without parallel. So for comparison, Joe Biden staffed his admin with twelve people who had previously donated to his campaign or affiliated groups.
Speaker 4: But where those.
Speaker 2: Twelve combined for contributions of about one hundred thousand dollars, Trump's key picks they combined for thirty seven million dollars and contributions. And that's without including Elon Musk, who put two hundred and sixty two million dollars in and now has this powerful hole of government position to remake the entire federal government to suit his personal whims and desires. Yes, American oligarchy has been a long time in the making, but in the incoming administration it is in full bloom like never before, and you can see the telltale signs both in government molding itself to serve favored oligarchs and in the behavior of wealthy elites who are vying for status as favored oligarchs. Toward that end, we've already been witnessed to some shameful billionaire groveling. According to NPR, major Silicon Valley executives like Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, and Sam Altman, who had previously been Trump adversaries, are dishing out millions to the Trump and operation in order to curry favor with the incoming president. Salesforce CEO Mark Bennioff says he is quote turning the page on his Trump relationship, and I'm sure it doesn't hurt that Time, magazine owned by Bennioff, just declared Trump Person of the Year. Silicon Valley historian Margaret O'Mara told NPR, quote, taken together the donations and other celebratory gestures showcase and industry kissing the ring of an incoming president in hopes of something in return. It's just a recognition that there's not much to be gained in opposition, but perhaps there is something to be gained by being very clear about your support and hope.
Speaker 4: That Trump does well.
Speaker 2: Trump himself yesterday I actually commented on this shameless groveling.
Speaker 4: Let's take a listen to that.
Speaker 5: Did you talk.
Speaker 1: About terrors in that meeting at Hole?
Speaker 6: CEO Tim Cook, I did have a dinner with Tim Cook. I had dinner with sort of almost all of them, and the rest are coming. And this is one of the big differences I think between we were talking about it before, one of the big differences between the first term. The first term, everybody was fighting me. This term, everybody wants to be my friend. I don't know my personality changed or something. But I had, as you know, I had Sundar from Google, but I also had Sergei.
Speaker 7: Nobody reported that Sergey is the owner the primary along with his friend, as you know, and Sergei was here also. I can't believe you didn't pick that one up. Nobody picked that up. But I will tell you now. It's a big difference. The big difference is that the first time, everybody was fighting me.
Speaker 2: No, mister Trump, I don't think your personality changed, but apparently their.
Speaker 4: Self interested calculus did.
Speaker 2: And they all went in on the spoils of government largesse and to avoid getting crosswise with the new regime. So what does rule by a Cabala billionaires actually look like? Well, effectively, the project is.
Speaker 4: A familiar one.
Speaker 2: It's rugged individualism for you and pampered coddling for the favored few. They want to strip away all powers of the government to curb corporate access while juicing their own tax cuts, subsidies, and contracts. For a more granular view of how this project will operate, one person you should pay attention to a Silicon Valley investor, Mark Andresen.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Andresen says that he has been spending half his time in Florida with Trump, helping to staff and guide the incoming administration.
Speaker 4: He is also a close buddy of.
Speaker 2: Elon and ally, having invested hundreds of millions in Elon's Mary Spenser's and having backed him in his Twitter takeover. In a podcast with Barry Weiss, Andresen confirmed that he's advising Trump on tech, business economics and the quote success of the country, and is also helping staff up Musk's DOGE Commission. Andresen and Musk have both been upfront about their plan to undercut any government regulator that has ever stood in their or their portfolio companies. In the case of Andresen's way, they are taking aim at the CFPP, which has been inconvenient for some of Andresen's Scammi re portfolio investments. The SEC, which has had the gall to check Elon on alleged stock manipulation, and furthermore, has tried to protect people from crypto scams and the NLRB, which allows workers to form unions. In addition, the incoming Trump administration is taking aim at specific regulations that the ascendant oligarchs find inconvenient. Reuters has reported that the Trump transition team is recommending elimination of an automated vehicle crash reporting requirement that has proven irksome to Tesla. You can see why Elon might not be a fan of this particular privision. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, forty out of the forty five fatal crashes that were reported to the agency under this provision involved a Tesla, including an accident where a driver using autopilot careened into a tractor trailer, and another where Tesla hit a fire truck, killing the driver and injuring for firemen. The Trump transition team describes this data collection as quote excessive, but it proved extremely valuable in agency investigations, which led to twenty twenty three Tesla safety recalls. In other words, the data collection was good for public safety, but it was bad for Elon public didn't give Trump more than two hundred and fifty million dollars, did they, So Elon apparently wins. Now this is a comparatively small example, but if it's your loved one behind the wheel of a Tesla car an autopilot, it becomes a little more significant. And there is no entity outside the government with the power to make sure that as autonomous vehicles become mainstream, drivers, passengers, and bystanderds are not put at undue risk for profit. Now that applies obviously, not just with vehicles, but with every sector, including the burgeoning AI and crypto sectors, which threaten the global financial system, systems of ethics, nation states, and potentially humanity itself. These billionaires are driven both by ideology and self interest to make sure that their power is unlimited by any pesky checks of representative democracy. Now, such a project requires a continuation of the war on New Deal programs, which in fairness, Republicans have been waging since the advent of the New Deal itself. Now that's important to oligarchs for a few reasons. First of all, a secure social safety net and financially stable working class is less desperate. They have more leverage, more ability to tell an abusive boss to piss off and negotiate for higher wages and better conditions. What's more, a government that delivers for people in a meaningful way builds trust. It earns the confidence of the public that imbues it with more potential power to check those oligarchic excesses. So it should be no surprise that, in a recent interview with Chris Williamson Andreson announced his desire to dismantle the remaining vestiges of the New Deal, pining for what he calls a reverse FDR.
Speaker 4: Take a listen.
Speaker 8: The other lens on this that I think about a lot is Curtis Yarvin. I was also a good friend of mine, and he the way he describes the American system that's running the people, the way he describes it is we are we are living under FDR's personal monarchy eighty years later without FDR right and the reason he describes that. He says, Look, when before FDR, the federal government was actually very small, Like the tax rates were like super low. The federal government didn't do very much. The FDR dramatically, you know, my orders of magnitude increased the size of the scope of the federal government. He did that for two reasons. One was the New Deal and then the other was World War Two. And so the federal government that Franklin Roosevelt left behind in nineteen forty five when he passed away was the government that he had built, which he had run the entire time from nineteen thirty three to nineteen forty five himself, in which he had staffed himself, and he had overseen himself and everything. And he built this basically this giant structure, and as Curtis basically says, as long as you had FDR running that it could run really well. And you know, we won World War two and save the free world and like it weren't and pulled the USIUD of depression, like the whole thing working.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 8: But if you let an organization of that size and scope run without its founder CEO for eighty years, you end up with what we have now, which is just like basically an out of control bureaucracy, like an out of control system in which people can't even make positive change even if they want to. Yeah, and again that's why you could have in the US, you could have reason for optimism, which is Okay, what do you need, Well, you need another FDR like figure bit in reverse, right, you need somebody and a team of people around them who's actually willing to come in and like take the thing by the throat and make the changes, by the way, make the changes that FDR would probably make if he were here to make them. But he's not right, and so somebody else has to step up and do that. It has to be a president because nobody else conceivably has the power to do that. But you know, we will see how much this president can do. But like that, that's a lot of what this administration plans to do.
Speaker 2: So what you're hearing there, in spite of the modern technochine the Trump was branding, all of that is a bottom old school Koch Brothers right now style Paul Ryan esque austerity economics, austerity for you anyway, not necessarily for them. Also noteworthy Ann and Dreeson's response is the name checking of his friend Curtus Jarvin. Now Jarvin opposes democracy outright, He would say that himself in favor of either overt monarchy or sort of feudal corporatism with CEOs functioning as effectively kings. Doubtedly a pretty cool philosophy if you are in line to be one of those corporate god kings. Not so much for those of us who would like to continue having some say in our governance and social contract. Now this raise another important point which helps to illuminate some of the early Trump administration moves. These guys hate democracy, and again this isn't new. There's a long strain of elite opposition to democratic governance that stretches all the way back to the founding fathers. And the biggest bulwark against an anti democracy ideology is a capable, democratically elected government providing clear material benefits. FDR understood this well. He understood how critical that was in his fight against fascism. In one of his fireside chats, he proclaimed, quote, history proves that dictatorships do not grow out of strong and successful governments, but out of weak and helpless ones. If by democratic methods, people get a government strong enough to protect them from fear and starvation, their democracy succeeds. But if they do not, they grow impatient. So if you believe in democracy, the best way to see at flourish is to build government capacity to deliver for people. And if you hate democracy, the best way to undermine it is to attack the most popular and successful elements of that government, to starve it, to shrink it, to make it incompetent, to make it corrupt. That's why Social Security and Medicare have long been targets for the right and for anti populace in general. Is not in spite of their popularity, but because of it. And the same logic for our government's most popular agencies applies, such as the US Postal Service. Now, the USPS does honestly a truly markable job delivering mail to every single location in the country, no matter how remote, on a daily basis. It's a marvel and it is second only to the National Park Service as America's favorite agency. So naturally it's now being targeted by Trump for elimination. That has a dual benefit for oligarchs. Not only does the destruction of a popular government function further undermine popular commitment to democracy, it also gives an immediate sop to corporations like UPS and to FedEx. In spoiler alert, delivering to a remote village in Alaska or a mountain hamlet in the hollers of West Virginia, it's not profitable so many rural Americans will almost certainly be cut off from pustal service entirely, or there be price gouge, charge exorbitant fees if Trump allows profit to become king in mail delivery, cut, deregulate, privatize, but keep the goodies flowing always to the top. That's the playbook, pain and sacrifice for the masses, bonanza.
Speaker 4: Of large s for the favorite oligarchs.
Speaker 2: Bernie is right to sound the alarm about American oligarchy because we are watching this project reach new levels of brazenness and control with few checks insight.
Speaker 4: And to me, this is my central concern.
Speaker 3: And if you want to hear my reaction to Bristol's monologue, become a premium subscriber today at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 4: All right, Sager, what do you take a look at?
Speaker 3: Well, At the risk of sounding like a college junior who just got back from study abroad, I'm about to regale you all about the country of Japan. It's been about two weeks since I got back, and it still feels like a dream.
Speaker 1: That's why I can't shut up about it. Going there genuinely made.
Speaker 3: Me questions some pretty foundational myths about the United States. It's the only place on Earth I've ever been where I would easily consider leaving the US for maybe Switzerland.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: But since I'm a loyal American and I'm never going to give up on this place, I thought I would take a look at why is it such an amazing place?
Speaker 1: What can we learn from it?
Speaker 3: First, this may sound tried, but it is perhaps the most remarkable thing about it.
Speaker 1: There are no fat people in Japan.
Speaker 3: This is remarkable because of how much it cuts across the grain of every other developed society. Japan, by all accounts, should be the opposite. It is a G seven nation, the third largest economy on Earth. It has a population rich enough to afford the creature comforts of life. It is plenty consumerists, and yet they somehow defy the trend in an opposite way to the US and the entire Western world.
Speaker 1: Japan has an obesiitie rate of four percent.
Speaker 3: Compare that to the US of nearly forty percent, with the vast majority of our population clocking in it at a classification of overweight.
Speaker 1: So how do they do it?
Speaker 3: The answer that Johann Hari arrives at is basically culture. Japan has a food culture that prioritizes simple food, high quality ingredients, lots of nutrition. Children are taught and encouraged at a very young age to not eat to access. Schools can go as far as banning outside lunches to encourage healthy eating that they provide. Furthermore, the government actively penalizes people for being fat. In two thousand and eight, they enacted something known as the Metabo Law, which said that once a year, every workplace and local government in Japan has to bring in a team of nurses to measure the wasteline of adults between the age of forty and seventy four. If your measurements are too high, you are referred to counseling and workplaces that must actively help you lose weight. Companies that have too many employees that are fat are then subject to fine. Beyond that, though, is what Johan gets to They just have a better lifestyle. Elderly Japanese people gather in public parts almost every morning for group exercise. Day to day life in a city like Tokyo requires traversing several flights of stairs walking from one place to another. My average step count when I was there was sixteen thousand per day. Now, of course I was a tourist, but I could see easily just living, going to work, and going out to eat would require a ton of walking, way more than most Americans do. And what's amazing is that this does not require anything crazy. The Japanese eat plenty of seed oils, they have plenty of candy, they have a lot of junk food, They've got red dye in their cereal.
Speaker 1: They just don't eat that much of it. If you do, you're publicly shamed.
Speaker 3: Instead, they just eat variations of fish, meat, rice, fermented vegetables, and broth. It is incredible how full that you can feel on such a meal, and just how much weight you can lose if you do. In a sense, as Johan writes, this solution is staring us right in the face. It's lifestyle stupid. Building on that is carrying over the reverence for respect of the body to then respect for each other. I cannot tell you how astonishing it is to feel as physically safe in a major city as you do in Tokyo.
Speaker 1: I have traveled the globe.
Speaker 3: I've probably been to almost every major city in the United States and arguably every major so called global city. Absolutely nothing compares to Japan. It is difficult to describe, but perhaps best related anecdotes. I witness children as young as seven or eight years old taking the subway by themselves, walking home in the dark. Their parents have no fear anything will happen to them. You board a train, the conductor doesn't even check your ticket. The assumption is you're just sitting in your assigned seat. You visit a store, there are no smile, you're on camera stickers, there is no fear. People don't steal anything. Take a look at the Apple store in Japan.
Speaker 9: All the iPhones displayed aren't attached to any security device. The phones just sit on a mag safe charger, which means you can literally pick them up and.
Speaker 4: Examine them without any restrictions.
Speaker 9: And this doesn't just apply to iPhones, but the other things in the store, like headphones, Like I could totally just pretend these are mine and walk out, which is crazy. But you know what's even crazier. Even their most expensive devices like iPads and MacBook pros are only connected to one thing, which is the charging cable, so you can literally just unplug the devices and pick them.
Speaker 1: Up as you please.
Speaker 9: The absence of security just goes to show how much trust and honesty is part of the Japanese culture.
Speaker 3: The level of safety is so high much of the general nuisance of life is removed entirely. When you feel true peace in an urbanment environment, amazing things can happen. You can send your kids to school without fear. You can open a business without thinking that people are going to steal from you. Your transaction costs go down because you don't fear being cheated. All of it comes back to respect to a culture. We're at a crosswalk. Nobody absolutely nobody well jaywalk because it is understood such a high quality of life is attainable only if everyone mutually agrees not to disturb.
Speaker 1: The peace and to follow the rules.
Speaker 3: But that when finally, what really changed my American heart was this idea. What if the best place in the world is not a place that invents something, but instead refines it. Japanese culture is built on refinement. Its own history is incredible. It was a place entirely closed off from the world for centuries. It woke up one day and was shocked to find itself the potential prey of the imperial Western powers. Instead of succumbing to the imperialist West. They decided to do what they do, but even better. They sent envoys across the globe. They gathered information about technology, railroads, banking, education, and in a single generation went from a peasant farming, feudal society to a rival industrial power capable of destroying the Russian Colossus. Their major crime actually was accelerating imperialism and militarism past what even the West would dream of in its conquest of all of East Asia. Eventually, of course, that became their downfall, and yet even then, from the literal ashes, it rises up to do it all over again. In the last seventy five years, it went from a place raised to the grid to the third largest economy in the world. They did it again by not inventing things per se, but by refining them. The Japanese didn't invent the automobile, and yet today Toyota is the best selling car brand in the world. Why by refining the car to be cheap, easy to fix, and reliable for the most major pursose purchase that most people on Earth will make. This extends to consumer electronics, to fashion, to food, to everything. While I was in Japan, I was just amazed at how the so called best of anything, it's there. Best men's fashion Japan, no question. The level of attention to detail, the cultural reverence of craftsmanship means you can find the highest.
Speaker 1: Quality clothing in Tokyo.
Speaker 3: If you like coffee like I do, you will find yourself oceans away from South America and Africa drinking the best cup that you will ever find.
Speaker 1: If you want the best pizza, it's probably in Tokyo.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know it sounds crazy to the millions of people who flock to Italy every year. Don't take my word for it, take it from the people who tried it. The Michelin Guide for Tokyo boasts dozens of non Japanese restaurants, although if you have me, there's no reason to go and not just eat Japanese food. The same applies for basically every subcategory of Western life that requires any attention to detail and craftsmanship. In fact, one way that you know Japan is amazing is that their own population, which is very wealthy by any global standard and can easily afford to travel, has no desire to leave. Only fifteen percent of the population has a passport, less than eight percent speak English fluently.
Speaker 1: They don't need to or care. They live in a great place. So I'm going to end with this.
Speaker 3: If you look for a through line between everything that I've discussed here, it's a culture is more important than anything else. That's why we are absolutely subject to the pressures of our environment. When you have a strong culture and a strong foundation, you can mold that environment to what you.
Speaker 1: Most highly value.
Speaker 3: In Japan, they have decided to mold their environment around mutual respect, prosperity, and dignity. That is a very hopeful story that all of us should consider as we decide what type of country that we want to live in.
Speaker 1: So that's it, Krystal, I love that place.
Speaker 2: And if you want to hear my my reaction to Sager's monologue, become a premium subscriber today at breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys so much for watching. We appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Counterpoints will have a great show for it everybody tomorrow and we will see you all then.