Speaker 1: Hey, this is Bryce Harper and welcome to the Billy Show. It's Tuesday, August fourth, twenty twenty six. Let's look back at the trade deadline with my friends Ruben Tomorrow, Junior, Jim Salisbury, and I'm Todd's Lucky. It's time for first Pitch. First Pitch is powered by Monster Energy. Trade Deadline's over, guys. We talked about we had a little emergency pod yesterday, but now we're we've let it breathe a little bit. We've let it breathe. We've talked to Don Maddingley and Dave Dombrowski and Bryce Harper and Bryce and Stott and Jim. I saw you talked to with Alec Bohm briefly yesterday.
Speaker 2: Correct, he's got to clean little there you go.
Speaker 3: I spoke to Ball and he's fine with it. He's like anything to win, and he went out and got ready to play. Starts fine with it. Harper's fine with it. A lot of unselfishness in the moving part aspect of the defense, the defensive alignment to accommodate Arise. I like what it's done to the lineup, but what it's going to do to the lineup potentially I'm willing to take the defensive risk, but I'm very concerned they did not add starting pitching depth.
Speaker 4: You're rolling the.
Speaker 3: Dice that these five guys are going to stay healthy and effective the rest of the way and then into October when you can tighten it up a little bit, shorten your bench, as they say in hockey. But worried about not having that extra arm. I know they tried. In some cases the price, they thought the price was too high. In some other cases that the other team they just didn't match up on what the give was. But you hope that doesn't come back to bite them. Showed a lot of faith and Andrew Painter that he's made these adjustments and gonna be giving him innings and being efficient. So with every team, with every game, with every season, with every month, there's always a reel see element. There's never a sure thing, never a sure thing, and so this is a big wheel see on the pitching side. But I'm eager to see your eyes play and get him here because he's kind of a throwback old school baseball player and I'm looking forward to seeing a little bit of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I like the move. There's no question about it.
Speaker 5: It improves the lineup, I think pretty dramatically actually in a number of different ways. I think that there's a residual effect, not just the fact that he's gonna be hitting one and two and making contact and putting balls in play and getting hits, but I think his overall approach may help rub off on some of the guys. May they may view things a little bit differently. They may approach and it's they're not going to change them. But I did talk to John Cruck during the pre pre game yesterday and one of the things that we talked about was that, you know, I really feel like having a guy like this he had a Tony Gwynn.
Speaker 2: With him and watched him. Now was over a longer period of time.
Speaker 5: But any little incremental piece that or something that somebody, you know, Turner can pick up or even Schober or one of the younger guys can pick up from him as far as the overall approach, and it helps them improve. A guy like maybe Brandon Marsh who maybe been struggling a little bit lately, that can help get him going again.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 5: I think that there's a residual and compounding effect on by having this guy in the lineup, and I think that's an important element. I do agree with Jim that starting pitching depth is something we've been talking about since two spring trainings ago, I think, and particularly in this spring training where we.
Speaker 2: Just weren't sure who is going to pitch when guys go down.
Speaker 5: They had Taiwan Walker, they had Painter locked in all those things, but Taiwan Walker did not pitch all that well. Obviously in the previous year. You're trying to hope against hope that he can hang in there, Painter, You're hoping that he can make the adjustment to the big leagues. He did not, and now they had to wait till like halfway more than halfway through the season to get him back too closer to where he was prior to that injury. So yeah, I would love to have gotten a little bit more starting pitching depth and put certain guys in a certain position. I do believe that how Painter reacted to his last start coming back to the big leagues may have had something to do with them not really going that extra mile or giving that extra prospect to get that to get that rental arm. But listen, all in all, the fact that they got a solid, a couple of good relievers. I think at least incrementally better. I think that that's a positive. Listen, you would love to have a lockdown eighth inning guy. You would love to have all those a lockdown you know, left, You would love to have the starting pitcher and the bat But the reality of it is, you just can't do all those things.
Speaker 2: They just didn't have the ability to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they Dave did, Dave Dave Dombrowska did say yesterday on Monday that yes, they did not have the pieces to match up with certain teams to make deals. And then some examples some trades that they were talking, they just didn't want to meet the asking price. They did have the talent, but they didn't want to give it up. But yeah, I think the starting pitching thing for me.
Speaker 2: Guys is.
Speaker 1: That's kind of the concern. Now, there were fifteen starting pitchers traded right before the deadline. You can make the argument a little bit more if you want to throw Lance mccollors junior in there and and some of those guys, which I don't, but as Robbie Ray, Jose Soriano, CAZy, mis Clay Holmes, Foster, Griffin, dust and May, Spencer Aarraghetti Braxton Garrett, Chris Bubick, Kevin Gousman, Freddie prawl To Tyler Maylee, Trek's Scouball, Luis Castillo and Dean Kremer were all traded at the deadline, so there was no shortage of starting pitchers on.
Speaker 5: The move, no, no doubt. I mean there are out there guys out there.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I look at the Dodgers and you talk about the Trek scouble and this, that and the other, but the other moves that they made, man, I mean, these guys are no joke.
Speaker 2: Getting Chris Buberk basically for nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, is can can end up being really I mean, I know the guy is not pitching right now and he's coming back from from from an injury, but at some point he's going to be back and he's going to be an effective player, whether it's a starter.
Speaker 2: Or a reliever or whatever role he's in.
Speaker 5: I mean, for them to acquire that guy, I mean, those are the things that really impressed me about Andrew Friedman and the things that they do. I know this is not a La Dodgers podcast, but those little things outside the lines could end up being huge things. That guy's gonna get a huge out against a left tough left hander in the playoffs at some point, and and you know that's that's that's where the rubber hits the road as far as them separating themselves from other teams.
Speaker 3: But they're so good in scouting and player development that they add to the prospect stock inventory. And it's no big deal when I boob it comes down the uh pike and you say, Okay, we're gonna throw one more in, We're gonna we're gonna part with another prospect because we still get eight top one hundred prospects. And Phillies do not have that inventory, not even close. They have not injected enough talent through the draft, and then they have not developed them to the point where Dobrowski in the Phillies they can't even fill their own holes from within because of this system.
Speaker 1: That's a great point, you know, I mean, it's it's at the point it's.
Speaker 4: A good rip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true, it's true. Yeah, that's why the Dodgers can look so smart, no doubt. But have they have that prospect currency?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the the Phillies system, I mean, you know, Dave was saying yesterday, well, we're still getting calls on Alan Ron Hell, but I don't know what does that even mean?
Speaker 2: You know, the Phillies have guys.
Speaker 3: They have guys, they just don't have enough of them.
Speaker 1: Right, they have Gauge. You know a lot of teams would have loved to have Gauge, would But.
Speaker 5: I mean the guy that they moved, Marquez, He's going to be a pretty damn good picture.
Speaker 2: But he's the prospect. He's a prospect, and you don't know how great continue to develop.
Speaker 4: Thinks about him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we got more on the trade deadline coming up right after these words.
Speaker 6: Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Crats.
Speaker 4: We love our pups, we.
Speaker 2: Do, and I can't put Bella in a bubble, So you know what I'll do.
Speaker 4: I'll do the next best thing for her, That's right.
Speaker 6: The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, and that's your PET. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul again one more time, ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insuran and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 1: Right, we're back with Monster Energy's first pitch, still talking trade deadline. How do we feel about the bullpen? Guys, we're gonna go. I want to get into the position change and the lineup in a little bit, but uh, how do you feel about where the bullpen stands right now?
Speaker 4: Do you think I think.
Speaker 3: The key person in the bullpen well, obviously is Duran, but and right with him as Jose Alvarado, even with the acquisitions you've made, they need him to really get going here. But Raley's got experience. The other guy's pitched at the back of the games a little bit some something by necessity in San Francisco, but with relief. I mean, I'm unless it's you know, Eckersley or Mariano Rivera, I think there is some merit to bring it in inventory because it can be so mercurial up one month, down one month. And I think both these guys are worth a look and a chance, and I think they're both going to have the opportunity to help make a difference.
Speaker 4: So I'm fine with those additions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, solid editions, There's no question about it. Not nobody's a lockdown eighth inning guy that I wanted. That's that's what I wanted. I wanted somebody to uh, whether it's Mora Hone or someone like that who's been just phenomenal. He didn't get moved by the Padres ended up getting a couple of starters instead. But the reality of it is, uh, you Jim, you hit hit the nail on the head. You just don't know. From from outing to outing, these guys can can change. Unless you have a guy that's, you know, a Hall of Fame guy, It's it's hard to get real consistent players in that bullpen, and even from year to year, you never.
Speaker 2: Know what they're gonna do.
Speaker 5: But Brooks Railey was solid. Killian's got a really good arm. I like the strikeout to to two innings pitch ratio on Killian. I've looked at some of his stuff's. These guys can pitch, and they've got good stuff. Can they pitch in the tight? Can they pitch in situations where they have to get an out against you know it? Just Brooks rarely get Freddie Freeman out on a huge pitch in the playoffs At some point, I Kenny do that.
Speaker 2: Those are the questions, and hopefully he can. He's got the stuff to do it.
Speaker 5: But again, anytime you can improve your team incrementally, marginally, whatever the case may be, I think that's a good thing. And Brooks, Raley and Killian are definitely going.
Speaker 7: To be adding to to a somewhat weak bullpen and a bullpen that has concerned us, and hopefully they can they can do the job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those two guys bump out Seth Johnson, who got traded to the A's for a minor leaguer minor league outfielder Colby Thomas, and then I'm just speculating here, but I would think Kyle Bachis gets optioned back. So you add those out guys, you bump out Seth Johnson, you bump out Kyle Backets. It's better, but yeah, you know, Dave Dave Dobrowski compared Killian to Jonathan Bolan, which is great. I like the the idea of that, because Bowlan's really emerged. But also Bolan has not pitched in really, as Ruben you said, the tight, tight situations yet consistently. And he's pitched in high leverage situations, but he hasn't pitched in late September October situations where really find out. So what does that mean? You like, he's he's kind of you know, like I said, Dobrowski said, it kind of reminds him of Bowlin.
Speaker 2: Great, but we don't know what the Scots can do yet.
Speaker 1: When it's as Charlie likes to say, nut cut in time might allowed.
Speaker 2: To say that it is exactly what it is.
Speaker 5: Man when when when the ball starts to get heavy, I mean we saw it from Jeff Hoffman.
Speaker 4: A couple of years back.
Speaker 2: I mean this, this is.
Speaker 5: A guy that had an unbelievable back back, gets a chance to throw BP, impresses pitches his ass off, gets a huge contract. But prior to that, the man, you know, really pitched well in the like the eighth inning and sometimes the ninth of the Phillies, and then the playoffs hit and he couldn't. He really struggled to hit the broadside of a barn with that slider.
Speaker 2: It got really heavy on him.
Speaker 5: When I say heavy, that means you start squeezing that baseball and it gets really heavy instead of you know, being able to handle the moment. I love the guy, but you know, he did have some problems pitching in the tight.
Speaker 2: That's the tight. The tight took us.
Speaker 4: Where did he go? People went to the Twins?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he went to the Twins. So all right, well that was Oh wait, hold on, gotta I gotta do this, I gotta do this. Read here, guys, hold on, hold on, watch this.
Speaker 5: Watch.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 1: Monster Energy, Unleash the Beast, Bold Flavors Legendary Kick. Stop by your local retailer and grab one before first pitch tonight. I had one on the way to the ballpark yesterday because it was trade deadline day.
Speaker 4: Is that why you were you were floating.
Speaker 2: In he's a little he was a little fired up. Looked like.
Speaker 4: Sweat.
Speaker 1: Well that was on that I was in the It was hot yesterday on that reason.
Speaker 4: There's another It was stifling.
Speaker 3: It was only like eighty eight degrees, but where the airs you could chew it.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It reminded me of Wrigley Field many years ago, Jim, when Cole Hamils threw that no hitter and and you were standing in the visitors dugout with tons of back sweat. It was Jeff Frank Coore.
Speaker 2: On that team.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I was. They had a big fan, they had a big before the game, and.
Speaker 2: Down your back sweat. That was what it was like yesterday. It's in the Bank Park.
Speaker 8: It reminded me of Saint Louis in the middle of August, baby, and and coming off that freakin coming off that back when they had turf coming off that turf coming.
Speaker 1: In hot, you know, one hundred and thirty degrees.
Speaker 3: I remember being in when that place was like a pizza oven because the brick was so hot radiating heat in that ballpark.
Speaker 2: Dude, we we we clinched the playoffs.
Speaker 5: I think in Pittsburgh, I think when we went from Pittsburgh to Saint Louis, I think and that, And obviously I had to play that day because Dykester wasn't playing and Jim Fragosie, God bless him.
Speaker 2: Man, he got me out of that game because I was dying, dying in the center fields. I partied hard too.
Speaker 4: Now, bro.
Speaker 3: Those though, if you go in the dug out after the game, you see banana peels and empty uh insure you know that stuff. Ensure that you drink the electrolytes. Oh yeah, media like pedia lite. Yeah, he's media. You see those all over the place.
Speaker 1: Not sure, that's great. Hey, I want to mention this. If you're watching this on YouTube, please hit the subscribe button. We appreciate everybody's support for the show, and as always, go to the phillieshow shop dot com.
Speaker 2: Are we not at fifteen thousand subscribers.
Speaker 4: We're not.
Speaker 1: We're not. We're not going on blow and Steady wins the race, reuven.
Speaker 5: We have to have Jim, Yeah, we have to have Jim do some more, uh, you know, gardening tips or something.
Speaker 2: We got to do something.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Jim keeps Jim keeps telling us that the tomatoes are coming in.
Speaker 2: But I gotta he's a he's a tea.
Speaker 4: We don't see any photo.
Speaker 1: We don't see I haven't brought into the buffer yet.
Speaker 2: We've been We've been telling you about this forever. People are waiting with baited breath.
Speaker 3: He most up the garden right after we finished the show, and I'm gonna do a little weeding and a little you know, tying up things like that.
Speaker 2: Why'd you film yourself?
Speaker 5: Let's go get one of your kids to film it, or you know, get to end the film it so that we can, you know, get this on on film. It's important, Jim. We're trying to get to fifteen grand.
Speaker 2: Be doing the Lord's work.
Speaker 3: I don't think I don't think my Joe Carcioni Greengrocer invitation is gonna get us any fans.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling it will.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: So wait, let's let's talk about uh. A big part of this trade, and that was Bryce Harper getting this Louise getting Louise a rise here, you know, Don Mattingly, So flashback last week early last week in Miami, Bryce says that hey talked about a lot of things. Of course, one of the things he said is Hey, I got my upfielders love here in the back of my locker, just in case the Phillies made a trade. And a lot of people had a lot of different thoughts about Bryce talking about the trade deadline. But guess who read those comments. Dave Dombrowski said, he read those comments, and then he went up to Don Mattingley. He said, hey, uh, wyant you check with Bryce, just make sure he was actually being on the level there and actually would move out to right field. So Don Manningley approached Bryce last week sometime on the road trip and said, are you serious.
Speaker 2: About this moving to right field stuff?
Speaker 1: He said, yes, I am serious about moving to right field. Bryce then sent a text to Dave Dombrowski on Sunday night, a couple nights after they were having a nice little honest chat postgame post came on Friday night in Baltimore.
Speaker 3: Have a little odds chat inside joke.
Speaker 2: Inside joke. Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Then they make the trade for Luisa Rise and Dave Dombrowski said, Yeah, the fact that Bryce said he was willing to move out there open up some eyes and open up the ideas of maybe trying something a little bit different, open up their capabilities, I guess, or willingness to go out and get an infielder.
Speaker 4: So I thought that was.
Speaker 3: Interesting, and it widened deep into the pool of candidates because now you weren't just talking about outfielders, but he's been saying that for a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Credit jew his credit. He you know, he put his money where his mouth was. I mean it allowed David to have a little bit of ingenuity.
Speaker 5: You know, he put himself in a position to, you know, then think about doing some different things. And that's exactly what they did. They added an infielder to a team that had four infielders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you play, when you're moving around this many pieces on defense, there is a feeling of desperation to it all. But this team is desperate to win one. You're right, And I think they're good enough base Stot's a good enough baseball player to play third base. I think Bryce is a good enough and you know what he's gonna He's gonna screw up a ball out there. It's gonna happen. But I think he's a good enough baseball player to play over at and give him two three months out there and make it happen and Boom can play enough, good enough first base, it's worth a shot.
Speaker 5: I think there's guys are all three of those guys are gonna screw something up.
Speaker 2: There's no question they're not perfect. The question is do they screw it up at the wrong time.
Speaker 5: There's a cost in baseball games, and that's the concern that I have. I hope it doesn't. I do believe in Stop. We've talked about this a lot. His instinct and his ability to move and his reaction time, it's totally different.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I don't particularly like it.
Speaker 5: I would have loved to Rise and go to first and then Harper go to write Boom done deal. And if you really wanted to like changed things up and make yourself a lot better, I.
Speaker 2: Think defensively in the infield.
Speaker 5: Then Rise goes a second, Stott goes a short turner goes to the outfield, and that's that's what you go with.
Speaker 2: But that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: None of that, None of that was considered, None of that was talked about are considered. They no, they knew Arise wanted to play second. They didn't even broach the subject of first base with them. They got him as a second baseman. They know they've got a problem in shortstop. It was not even broached about moving, uh Turner, But we all know the elephant in the room. That's got to be a topic of discussion internally and with the player in the off season, and I expect it will be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I absolutely expect it will be addressed in the off season or discussed in the offseason in some way, shape or form. But uh yeah, I'm not worried about stop moving a third to me, he made his major league debut at third base.
Speaker 3: Wasn't he the opening day?
Speaker 1: I think he was the opening day third basement in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Bom had a shaky spring and they actually played him a few days over there. I remember him playing one day in twenty two in Dunedin at third base and looking good, and Joe Girardi basically opened the competition for the third base job if you remember, Yeah, and stot had Like you said, he debuted over there in twenty twenty two. He played three did he played three positions that year and he and mostly shortstop and was a rookie on the World Series team at shortstop.
Speaker 4: Pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bryce isn't the type of guy too that's going to go out there and thinking he can embarrass himself, you know, or wondering if he's going to embarrass himself. So I feel like he feels that he's pretty confident he can go out there and.
Speaker 2: At least be.
Speaker 1: A net zero as a poor as of a negative out there.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that he went he went right out there, and yesterday.
Speaker 4: He did and and started airing.
Speaker 3: It out because he hasn't been thrown that long for a few years, and he started conditioning his arm for a long throw right right out of the gate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and do One thing that.
Speaker 5: Does concern me as an ex outfield coach in the major leagues and an outfielder in the big leagues is the routes.
Speaker 2: And the angles and the reactions.
Speaker 5: It's been five years since he's done that, I would assume, and in this day and age, I mean, this is the reality.
Speaker 2: Guys don't shag anymore.
Speaker 5: They don't stand in the outfield, they don't see the ball off the bat, they don't watch. And since he's been in the infield, he's been locked in first base taking ground balls, So you know, the reactions watching the ball off the bat, your first step quickness, your stir first step, accuracy, your angles.
Speaker 2: It's a concern.
Speaker 5: I know the Paco figure out will be working his ass off to get him to the point where he's you know, back in adequate and getting used to those things again.
Speaker 2: But and he's an instinctive guy, good athlete, all that stuff.
Speaker 5: But it's different and uh, and there's gonna be some ball is right over his head and some angles to his right and left that he's going to have to make adjustments to and it's.
Speaker 2: Not going to be seamless. It will not be seamless.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm as excited for tonight's game as I've been for a Phillies game in a long time. I'm excited to see all these moving parts. I'm excited to see how the fans greet him when he runs out to right field. I'm excited to see Luis Urayes in this lineup. He never strikes up my prediction, he's going to strike out in his first at pat, get mocked, get booed, and then go three for three the rest of the night.
Speaker 2: It is likely that that will definitely happen.
Speaker 5: Ball though they're throwing a right hander against him, I can't imagine they'll strike out against this dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm kidding, but I'm looking forward to the tonight's game. And Hey, so Solizardo, who pitches really well on the road and not as good at home, needed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ruby, what's going on at oh up in Ben Salamie as you like to say?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, So, the Birds training camp is underway, my boys.
Speaker 5: And it's the perfect time to make your future bets on the upcoming Pro football season. The bet Parks online casino and sportsbook has you covered for future bets on Pro football and who will win it this year? Los Angeles, Baltimore and Buffalo. They are the top three favorites. A twenty five dollars bet on Los Angeles Pace one and sixty two fifty, A twenty five dollars bet on Baltimore page two seventy five, A twenty five dollars bet on Buffalo Pace two fifty, and a twenty five dollars bet on the Birds right now to win it all will pay four.
Speaker 2: Hundred and twenty five dollars.
Speaker 5: Live betting and all your favorite sports is better on the bet Parks app.
Speaker 2: Live bet on.
Speaker 5: Pro golf, MMA, tennis, soccer, or women's pro basketball. Please come join me and make your downtime your fun time all summer long with the.
Speaker 2: Bet Parks app. Plus.
Speaker 5: Bet Parks brings the casino to you on the beach, the boat, the lake, by the pool, right on your couch, maybe in your garden, if your gym. The casino is right at your fingertips. Bet Parks is the only online casino sportsbook app that I ever recommend. Play blackjack, craps, poker, and all your favorite classic casino games right on your phone for real money, or play thousands of online slots right now. Bet Parks has a great offer for new casino users.
Speaker 2: New ones. New users can.
Speaker 5: Get up to a five hundred dollars bonus back plus two hundred and fifty bonus spins on the hot online slot game called Sahara Riches, collect the max, play real casino games for real money, and bet on sports right on your phone the bet Park's online casino and sportsbook app, where there's always another way to win. You gotta be twenty one in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland or Michigan. And if you have a gambling problem, please call one eight hundred Gamble.
Speaker 1: All right, We're back Phillies. Derek Hill had a big, aggressive greed.
Speaker 2: That was an aggressive greed.
Speaker 1: Aggressive.
Speaker 4: You got to talk about Derek Hill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to talk about Derek Hill. Well, the reason why I want to talk about Derek Hill is because I also he kind of relates to Brian Daylor crew. But that was a trade. Yeah, But I mean, like the Phillies did not get that right handed bat at the deadline, and Dave acknowledged that. I said, you know, we were looking at a right handed bat and there were some right handed outfield bats moved at the deadline. Any of these guys, Elliott Ramos was traded, he would.
Speaker 4: Have been.
Speaker 2: Doing the junkies.
Speaker 1: Taylor Ward was moved high on base percentage guy, and he would have he would have helped out this lineup. Jo for you didn't like him, Joe him, yeah, Joe, Adell Tyrone, Taylor, Brenton Doyle, who's like, can't hit?
Speaker 4: Where'd he go? Brenan Doyle?
Speaker 1: Boy, I have to remember, I know he got to move somewhere. Though I wrote him down as a guy that got he did move.
Speaker 2: He did move. He can play defense, can't hit, can't hit, can't hit, can't hit. So Day basically said.
Speaker 1: The emergence of Brian de la Cruz made us feel a little bit more comfortable. And I and I understand, and I understand that is that How much of a risk is that though? I mean, you're basing it off what eight games in the big leagues, And I know he had a nice little season in Triple A, but something held him back down there for for longer than expected.
Speaker 3: I think that time held him back. They wanted to take a look at Otto camp. It didn't work. They wanted to. They end up taking a look at Right, it didn't work. They they've taken a look at rinconas you know, met some mess uh. So they had time because of his contract. Mind lea track with didn't have an out until July.
Speaker 9: So they're gonna go with two tunes out there, Marsh and Bailey, Cruz in the Cruse and Crawford and Hill.
Speaker 4: I think it has a chance to work.
Speaker 3: What we've seen of Hill, it's been pretty good and he's hitting for some popp He's made some great plays in the outfield. He is a totally team first guy. He's been impressive.
Speaker 1: It was funny we were walking down to the clubhouse yession. I think it was Ti Daubert from Phillies Nation. He goes, when you think about this season, like Derek Hill has like four to five of the top ten months of this season, go ahead Grand Slam on Monday Night, the catch. You know, it's these insane catches, like three or four of them. It seems like he had a couple go ahead home runs, big home runs in d C a few weeks, you know whatever, it was a month ago. It's like the Derek Hill Show. If you're the twenty twenty six Phillies yearbook, is gonna have Derek Hill all over it.
Speaker 2: Well, they were dead, it was.
Speaker 5: It was another lackluster effort by the offense. They had two hits through five innings with maybe a couple of walk, didn't have very many base runners.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a great pitcher. Alvarez is not great.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, he's not Sandy Kofax, and they were having horse crap at bats against him, and then all of a sudden, you know, a couple of walks. It hit battery. The Gnats let them in the game. And that's sort of how the Nats have been losing games. They've been sort of unlucky figuring out ways to lose. In the last five or six they've lost six straight now, like what seven or eight out of nine, and so you know, they kind of let the Phillies back in and then you know, they hang a little breaking ball out over the plate and Derek Hill becomes a hero.
Speaker 2: But I think Derek Hill's done a really good job in his role.
Speaker 5: I know he's won for twenty prior to that was struggling some, but he's a role player. It's hard to you know, it's hard to have rhythm, it's you know, it's a difficult thing. But he's done a very good job and his effort and he's sort of become a little bit of the Harrison Baier of twenty twenty five for them in some ways.
Speaker 2: And you sort of hope Dela Cruz adds to that in a lot of ways.
Speaker 5: He's been around the game, He's got some big base hits himself at a home run.
Speaker 2: He may fade into the mist after this, but who knows.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's he's been there and done it, has had some success at the major league level. Hopefully this he can carry it for another couple of months, maybe three.
Speaker 3: Well, That was an interesting game Monday night because Nola gives up two early home runs. He now leads the majors with twenty eight.
Speaker 4: Home runs allowed. It's a lot.
Speaker 3: The offense is dead through six innings and the Nationals hit a batter and walk to When you make when you make mistakes like that and give another team an opportunity like that, you have to jump on it, like like you know, sharks in the water, blood in the water. And that's what Derek Hill did. He made them pay in a big way and that's why the Phillies won that. I came and then Kirkering with a good inning and after that Hill with a big defensive play. Harper extendsive lead. I'm really I feel like Bryce is got's gonna have some juice here and maybe finish really strong. He's starting to starting to look that way.
Speaker 1: He's got three homers in his last seven games, so he's been he's been picking it up and yeah, go ahead. No I was gonna say, yeah, I Ruben, you made the point of Like. Hill's kind of got that Harrison Bader energy and he does seem to bring anything. Talking to me after the game last night, He's like, if somebody asked him about you seem like you're having funs like I'm in the big leagues, Like I don't take this for granted, like I'm I'm happy to be out here every day. I don't take it for granted. I just enjoy being in on the field. If I could pick any place in the world to be, it would be on a baseball field. So he's he definitely has the energy sans scooter.
Speaker 2: Scooter.
Speaker 5: I was just gonna make a comment a value you're talking about. Harper's really starting to starting to pick it up, start to juicing up a little bit, which is huge. They need him, But the other guy that they need is Kyle Schwarber. They have been struggling mightily offensively, and a lot of it has to do the fact that, for whatever reason, whether it's timing, whether it's health, Kyle Schwarber's lack of production over the last month, really over the last month has been has been difficult on the Phillies. He's a really important part of this ball club. He's punching out at an alarming rate right now, and I think it's you know, it's gotten to the point where it's time for him to come out of it, and when he does, somebody's going to pay. Somebody will pay for his struggles right now, because once he gets his timing and once he gets his help back to one hundred percent, I think he's gonna do some serious damage. But they need him and they need to get there soon, sooner rather than later, so they can kick it back into gear.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, Philly's Show, We'll be back later this week.
Speaker 4: Smelling Little Boys, Smell.
Speaker 2: You, James. If you made it this far, you'll love this next video. Check it out right here
Speaker 5: And make sure you subscribe to The Philly Show for more Phillies coverage like this, multiple times a week