Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: In this Wednesday Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show looking at some of the celebrities who have submitted their brackets. You can be involved with the Celebrity Bracket Challenge right now at Foxsports Radio dot Com Howard by NetSuite. It's ready for you if you want to send in your brackets. Adam Sandler, Bryan Cranston, Joey Vado, Caroen Top, Brady Quinn, Peter King, Ross Tucker, Jim Beheim, Mike Golick, Senior, Chase Daniel, mad Dog Russo, George Brett, Josh Dumel, Jerome Bettis, j J. Wadd, Dan Levitard, Brandal Shambley, and the Masters Is Stiller, A Keeper's Heart Brian Nation will also be taking part in the Celebrity Bracket Challenge. We'll have more who will submit their brackets later on today that we will give you hours by the end of the day. I think by tonight we have to have our brackets in stat of the day. Rod To was always by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. We have covered a lot of ground here. The first two hours of the show. Spend some time talking about baseball's opening day in South Korea, the Dodgers five to two winners over the Padres. Also, the First four continues tonight, and you have Colorado versus Boise State, Grambling versus Montana State Virginia. They didn't go in like a lamb, out like a lion. They got kicked to the curb by Colorado State last night. And Wagner gets its first ever NCAA Tournament win as they hold on to beat Howard don Staley, the South Carolina head basketball coach, will join us. Coming up a little bit. Spend some time with RG three, the former NFL quarterback. He explained his logic behind saying to Caleb Williams, don't go to the Bears. And I think the biggest reason why was Matt eber Loose is in the final year of his contract the head coach of the Bears. You don't want to put him in a situation like that. And RG Three's right. If I'm Caleb Williams, you want to go in with some kind of stability there. You don't have that unless you extend your coach. He's going in and you Caleb Williams will decide if he keeps his job. If they go seven and ten, Matt Eberflus probably gets fired. If they go ten and seven, Matt Eberflus probably gets an extension. Can Caleb Williams be to the Bears what CJ. Stroud was to the Texans last year? Can you get him to the playoffs?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Seven wins last year?
Speaker 2: But they had the number one pick because of the trade with Bryce Young in Carolina, and Bryce Young was in a situation that is reminiscent of what Justin Fields was in. You know, you get this guy, you give up stuff to get him, and then he failed. It's difficult you get rid of his top receiver and you expect him to be the savior. And Bryce Young is a complimentary kind of quarterback. He will need help. But with that help, he as we saw when he was at Alabama, he can make plays and he has poise. But without it, it doesn't matter. You know, just didn't matter. They weren't threatening, and that's the Bears will be a good team, I think Now would they be a playoff team? I think that will probably decide if their coach gets a contract extension or not. But phone calls are welcome eight seven to seven to three. DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp show. The Jets snagged wide receiver Mike Williams and it's a one year deal for Aaron Rodgers. The college football playoff deal with ESPN that is finalized yesterday. Clemson is suing the ACC.
Speaker 4: What a mess this is.
Speaker 2: Now, Florida State. You know, college football landscape looks a whole lot different than it did a decade ago. So you got Big ten SEC, Big twelve ACC dominant conferences. But the ACC agreed to this new contract for the college football playoffs, but they get twelve percent less than the Big ten in the SEC. And maybe it's panic mode time in the ACC. The exit fees for Florida State and Clemson. Now there's a lawsuit. They're suing their own conference. And you know, the PAC twelve has already fallen victim to other larger conferences gobbling up their teams with USC, Oregon, UCLA, and Washington. The ACC is facing some real concerning issues here. But as I've said before, if I know, my conference gets two automatic bids to be in the twelve team or fourteen team playoff. Why would I want to leave that? Granted they're getting twelve percent more money in these other conferences, the Big ten in the SEC. What is an easier path trying to win the ACC or trying to win the Big Ten or the SEC. Surviving in the Big ten in the SEC or the ACC. I'd stay in the ACC. I'm in the playoffs every year I can dominate. Maybe my seed will be even higher. We could go undefeated, get a first round by then you get a home playoff game. That to me makes a whole lot of sense. But it felt like Florida State got snubbed. Therefore Florida State wants out. Well, Florida State's not going to get snubbed. If they have that kind of year this next year, they would make the playoffs. Clemson, make the playoffs. That's all you want to do, and what gives you an easier path playing in the ACC as opposed to the SEC of the Big Ten. A couple of phone calls in here zul ten in Florida. Hopefully I got that right.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Dan, how are you on this beautiful morning?
Speaker 4: Great? What do you have for me?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Just a quick question. How come a year or so against baseball starting in Korea, but Dublin was awesome for college football.
Speaker 4: Well, they don't have an opening day in college football.
Speaker 3: All right, don't comeback now.
Speaker 4: I don't know what he was taking a drink of.
Speaker 2: Take that, Patrick, Yeah, I mean this is there's baseball's opening day. College football, you have schools that start earlier than others. Notre Dame wanted to play over there against Navy. Okay, but baseball. How many times do you go, oh, I remember who you know opening day and who played the first game. In football, chances are you probably don't. But with baseball, the fact that it's over there, at least you could watch it when it was in Ireland.
Speaker 4: I mean time on this.
Speaker 2: You couldn't three am West Coast time playball six am East Coast time. That's all just I think if you're if you're going to do it, do it for the right reasons. He's a Dodger. Have it available for the West coast and they didn't.
Speaker 4: That's him.
Speaker 2: So I've said my piece on it, and maybe I'm in the minority here. I would just I think we got to be careful with what we do and trying to have global expansion while we forget about you know, the people here, the people who buy the tickets here all the time. Let's see Mitch and Michigan. I'm Mitch, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 8: But hey, the first time six foot two and twenty five pounds a twisted steal sex appeal? Okay, and hey, I've gone off topic here, but I know everybody steals your show ideas I was learning about you steal somebody else's. And with your retirement here in a couple of years, what about you hosting on Mondays and letting the dan Nettes do Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday Friday, kind of like what The Daily Show does with John Stewart.
Speaker 4: Haven't even thought of that, Mitch.
Speaker 2: I just knew that I was going to retire on Christmas Eve of twenty twenty seven. But as far as what I do after that, I have no idea. I just I'll move aside and somebody else can take up the airspace here, whether it's the dan Nets and another host or they go their separate waves waves. I don't think anybody's at that point making that decision, but I made the decision. I wanted to make sure I was going out on top or at least what I perceive is going out on top and you know other things that I'd like to do.
Speaker 9: Yeah, poem John Stewart, he left the Daily Show for quite a few years decade ors right, and then he he's coming back in a not emeritus. That's not fair to him, but ay once a week's status.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very cool of him.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: We will see how this all plays out, see how I feel, see if we still like each other. Four years long time, Lebron James has got a podcast, Mind the Game podcast with him and JJ Reddick and Lebron James talked about a couple of players and why they're so influential.
Speaker 7: Alan Iverson and Steph They were just so relatable and kids felt like they could be them. They were there. They were guys that was not always counted on. They were small in stature and they just defined the odds. So you got Ai, who's like unbelievable crossover corn rolls armsleeve.
Speaker 4: We wear armsleeve. Everyone wears arms.
Speaker 7: Sleeve now because Alan Iverson and now you have Steph who's shooting over the Empire State Building. Those two are the two most influential. When you say the game, how they changed the game and the kids, and like, those are two guys that you just wanted to watch every single night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we've talked about that. Culturally, Alan Iverson he related to a lot of people and was probably idolized by a lot of these kids growing up.
Speaker 4: And saying, oh, you know, I can relate to that.
Speaker 2: Having tattoos, the way he played, the way he dressed post game, he'd have throwback jerseys on corn Rose. And then Steph Curry maybe the most influential modern day player. I'll factor in Jordan or maybe I just take him out because that's been cultural as well and performance, but Steph changed the way people think about playing the game. You can want to jump like Michael Jordan, but you can't. You can want to shoot like Steph Curry, and chances are you got a better chance at that. I can attempt where Steph shoots. I can't attempt what Mike was doing.
Speaker 4: Just can't.
Speaker 2: But culturally, Alan Iverson left a you know, a long, solid impact that's still being felt on the game. It's like there's certain teams and there's certain players like Georgetown basketball. I mean, that was that was an impression that was left and what John Thompson and Patrick Ewing and the way they played and you know, took no prisoners. That left a lasting imprint on the sport. UNLV the running rebels, you know, Duke with Leytoner and Hurley, that left a lasting impression. Like there's certain teams where you go not going to forget them for a while because the way they play or how they played or who was playing for them. And I think when you have players like this, what Mahomes is doing now is going to change how players play that position, just like Steph Curry. Not everybody can do it, but that doesn't mean they won't try to do it. Because Mahomes doesn't have the strongest arm, he's not the fastest guy, not the biggest guy, but he has this nuanced ability to be able to figure out what to do, when to do it, how to do it. He's clutch and there's something to be said for that. Are you born with it? Can you develop it? Does it take experience? But he is one of those guys culturally who's left an impact on his sport different than Tom Brady. Brady is recognized the greatest quarterback of all time, but I don't know, if you have quarterbacks going, I want to be like Tom Brady, they want to be like Patrick Mahomes. Even quarterbacks in this draft. Caleb Williams, Oh, he's the next Patrick Mahomes. Jaden Daniels, he can be like Patrick Mahomes. So that athleticism and really it's just enough athleticism with Mahomes. He has just enough. You know, it's almost like Luca from a standpoint of man, how does he do that?
Speaker 4: You're watching and you're going, He's not fast, not.
Speaker 2: Strong, but he does everything in an intelligent way, and there's something to be said for that. The way you know, kids are playing the game now and the way they want to play now. You've had quarterbacks who've had, you know, side arm deliveries. Rogers has been doing that for his entire career. But Mahomes throwing left handed across the field.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean some crazy things that he's done. But it helps when you win, because then Michael Jordan, he's not selling these shoes. If he doesn't win those championships, he'd be like, he'd be Vince Carter, He'd be like, man, that guy is unbelievably athletic. You go okay, and then he wouldn't be playing for a championship, but playing for a championship and then dominating winning those championships.
Speaker 4: People want to be like Mike. One of the great ad campaigns of all time. Be like Mike.
Speaker 2: Let me see Matt in Iowa. Hi, Matt, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Yeah, first time caller, six foot two hundred, I figured this. This is my first time calling into your show, and no better time than to correct an Iowa fan about that Caden kid. They did collect one hundred thousand dollars, but they did not pay him any. The president of the Swarm was actually on the leading show, the local leading show for you on KX and O, talking about how they did raise the money, but he had to go to events and at tend events before they would actually pay him out any of the money. So the Proctor kid didn't actually get paid anything from this warm Okay.
Speaker 4: Let me get and thank you.
Speaker 2: I know this a big deal in Iowa today, but Caden Proctor was a big deal. Early commit to Iowa and then last minute decided he was going to go to Alabama to play for Nick Saban. Saban retires, then he gets in the Portal. Now he's coming back to Iowa. Gets back to Iowa. The report was he was offered one hundred thousand dollars. He goes on spring break with some of his friends at Alabama. They committed, convincing to stay at Alabama come back to Alabama. So now he's going back to Alabama. So people are up at arms saying, what about the one hundred thousand dollars? If you sign an NIL deal, it should be a contract. It should be year to year. In what you're signing. There should be a legal bonding between you two, between the school and the athlete. I think that's only fair to both sides. So let's say you get there and you're not as good as advertised, they want to demote you, they still can't take away your NIL money. Or if you go there and then decide you don't want to stay and you want to leave after three games, then they should be able to collect the rest of the money. I mean a lot of this is just grown up stuff, But there are no grownups now. It's just like we're learning something new every day. Where you go, well, what do we do or how did that happen? Yeah, Paul on KXNO Radio.
Speaker 9: This morning, the CEO of Iowa Swarms Collective, the people who handle the NIL, said that this young man, Caden Proctor, was never paid anything from them. They had an agreement in place, but he had certain things he had to meet, whether be going to a charity event or doing something for a local business. He did not do those yet because he really hadn't got into being an Iowa player yet, so he did not get paid by them.
Speaker 2: And that's what I wanted to know. You know, when somebody comes up, they got an opinion. I'm like I said to Paulie, I said, well you should get some context here, just to be fair to the kid. And you know, we're finding out, you know, some other details there that people are leaving out. Got to be tough for that kid to go back to Iowa. I mean, just to go back home. I imagine Hawkaie fans got to be a little frosty about that. You were going you go to Alabama, Now you're coming back, okay, And now you decide you're going back to Alabama. That Christmas break has to be a little difficult if you're going back home.
Speaker 4: Hey, Cayden, how are you? Eh?
Speaker 8: Yah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, pul and.
Speaker 9: That Iowa offense needs every bit of ca. Yeah, doctor, they need like him a couple more of them.
Speaker 4: All right, More phone calls coming up each seven seven to three.
Speaker 2: DP show email Addressdpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a TP show. Join the bracket challenge. You can go to Foxsports Radio dot com say good morning. If you're watching on peacock, thank you for downloading the app.
Speaker 8: Up.
Speaker 2: Next, we'll talk to the Hall of Fame coach Don Staley, South Carolina head coach.
Speaker 4: That's next.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 13: Pollie Fosco here with Tony Fusco. You know, as the host of the number one rated Paully and Tony Fusco Show. We get tons and tons of fanmail every day.
Speaker 1: Piles of it.
Speaker 13: In fact, Tony, why don't you open up one of those letters right now and read what's inside?
Speaker 14: Hey, listen to this, Dear Pauli and Toni, your sports takes the dumbest and most terribly Why open this other one? Dear Pauli in Tony, you suck more than anyone. Wait, try this one? Are you Paulie and Tony? You guys are the absolute best? There you go coming up with the stupidest take.
Speaker 1: For get.
Speaker 13: Just listen to the Fall and Tony Fusco show on the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yes, Marvin, Oh no, I was just ready for Dawn. She was on an episode of Martin.
Speaker 4: Oh she was. How long ago was that?
Speaker 10: Probably ninety five ninety six? I want to say, okay, probably ninety six. Okay, the Olympic team.
Speaker 2: But is that one of those where somebody's at the door and then everybody applause when they see him like that?
Speaker 4: Do you have the episode there? Yeah?
Speaker 9: So when down Staley was a star player, she was on Team USA. Bunch of times whatever. All right, and so there's an episode of Martin and Martin. Martin's character it's gonna played basketball versus his girlfriend and her friends, and all of a sudden, her friends open the door say, let's welcome the Olympic to women's Olympic team, and here comes Don Staley and Rebecca Lobo and other players.
Speaker 4: Okay, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Don Staley head coach South Carolina women's team. What do you remember about that episode.
Speaker 15: That I'm that I'm more famous for that episode than actually my my basketball career.
Speaker 4: No, it's not, but do you.
Speaker 11: Absolutely I actually spoke with Presbyterian, a team that's going to play in set a Sacred Heart in the playing game tonight. That will be our opponent on Friday. I met with I'm actually met with both teams. But when I met with Presbyterian, the Martin Show came up.
Speaker 4: And what did they ask you about?
Speaker 15: They asked me, did I appear on it?
Speaker 11: Number one, they knew I did, and then they just asked me about, you know, the whole production of it, because it's a lot.
Speaker 15: Different than what we do every day.
Speaker 11: It's it's a sitcom, so you're there the entire week and then you're just one day you're you're reading your lines and that's it, and the next day you just you get into different segments of the sitcom. And I just thought it was a pretty who processed when when we were on that show Martin, it was by far the number one show in the country. So that's that's one of my highlights.
Speaker 15: Of my career.
Speaker 2: Well, you've been a Hall of Fame coach and basketball player. So your second career, you've done a pretty good job there.
Speaker 4: What do I need to have? The one thing that I absolutely have to have if I'm going to play for you is what.
Speaker 15: Discipline?
Speaker 4: How do you know if I have it or not?
Speaker 11: I mean, just a conversation with with your parent, Okay, that's how you tell. Is that relationship that you have with your parent is a tell tale sign of whether or not a young lady can play for us here at South Carolina.
Speaker 15: Because we we're going to ask you to do some things that.
Speaker 11: Are are hard, hard, hard, And if you have a disciplined parent, they've asked you to do some things that's hard that you don't like, but you do it because they're asking you to do it, and somewhere down the line, you'll appreciate it. Like I had a disciplined mother that I didn't like growing up. I didn't like her, but I am more like my mother right now than anything, And now that I'm responsible for eighteen to twenty two year olds, I'm incredibly grateful for the way I grew up and the way my mother handled me.
Speaker 4: What did you learn from last year's loss to Iowa.
Speaker 11: I learned sometimes you gained by losing, and that's hard, that's hard to take. Last year was hard to take. But then you come back this year and we're in the same position as far as being undefeated and having undefeated under regular season and then conference championship tournament season. I mean, basketball is a game that you know it's it gives, It gives to those who's loyal to it, and I've sacrificed friendships, I've sacrificed a lot, and the game continues to give me and how it's God given uncommon favor like I couldnt have scripted any better than how our team turned out this year until the third weekend of the third weekend of our tournament.
Speaker 4: Of course, how do you explain Caitlin Clark?
Speaker 15: How do I explain it?
Speaker 11: I think she's the greatest of her time, of her time now, and I don't I don't want to rough for anybody's feathers, but I also don't want to. You know, we got a rich history of women's basketball, rich rich We got to play in Brandon Stewart who won four national titles, and you cannot you cannot forget it. Well, all the contributors of our game, like Kitlyn Clark's got brought a lot of eyes to our game.
Speaker 15: And I'm really grateful for her talent. And I do think she's.
Speaker 11: Incredible, like remarkable, eye catching. I mean, she's got great IQ. So I got to give it to her, like she is definitely a woman that continues continues to grow our game.
Speaker 2: And I go back to Ann Meyer, I go back to Nancy Lieberman, Cheryl Miller, you know, Shamik Holds Claw. I mean, they're Cynthia Cooper. There's just so many of those players. But I do think because of Caitlyn Clark, like we're bringing back some of those names because now, which is good and they should be. So when somebody says is she's the greatest of all time, Well, if I'm going to take the person who wins Breonna Stewart won four titles and was the most outstanding player in all four years, you can't do any better than that.
Speaker 14: You can't.
Speaker 11: So And it's nothing against Caitlyn Clark and all the people that love her. Like I'm a basketball enthusiast, I love her like I love what she's doing for the game. I love when she hits logo threes. I love when she hits game winning shots. I mean, all that is is tremendous. I watch like I spend a lot of time watching Big ten basketball because of her, And that's got to be a lot of responsibility for her and a lot of pressure for her, and she's handled it incredibly well.
Speaker 4: Did you think you could play in the NBA?
Speaker 15: The NBA?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for how long.
Speaker 15: I can play a game like I can play a game and hold my own.
Speaker 11: It's just the long stretch of an eighty two game season and the wear and tear. Those guys are big and strong, and they're the very best for a reason.
Speaker 4: But you had to play against these guys, I'm going to guess yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean I played a bit against some NBA guys, And I mean you you go up in Philly, you think you can do anything in North Philly particularly so.
Speaker 15: So I can say that now sitting here being over fifty. You know, after be an Urban Legends.
Speaker 2: Uh, the skirmish with LSU, what role like in the moment, what role do you play as a coach?
Speaker 8: You know, I.
Speaker 11: Obviously look at the skirmish a number of times, and I looked at myself and I something's off about me, because I was totally shocked and I stood there and I didn't do anything, and I'm looking at like activate like this is kind of you're you're You're supposed to be the protector and the peace maker of all things. And I was like, it's called off guard.
Speaker 15: I mean, it happens. It happens. It happens in every every sport, every sport.
Speaker 11: It just got heightened a little bit because of it was a championship, it was on ESPN, and and and the officials had to assess the situation and come up with a solution. For for me, I just have to make sure that one in the moment we had to go with what the official said, and then you and then you Monday morning quarterback it.
Speaker 15: And I just thought that that that they got some things wrong.
Speaker 11: I do all of it because Camilla Cardoso, it's the only one that is really paying the price for it, when there should have been a you know, a dark cloud on a couple of other people as well. If we're gonna deem what she was disqualified for, because you just can't be disqualified, uh, just as a one woman show. If there's if it's deemed the fight. Then the fight is not just with one person, it's with the with the at least another person, and then you got to find out who incited it. But I'm speaking more about it than I than I have since the incident, and I really want to put it behind. But I also want to address the fact that it happens in every other sport.
Speaker 15: Don't don't hold women's.
Speaker 11: Basketball to a higher standard than the other sports because it's happening there. Unless unless you want to hold us in a unless you want to hold us as a sport, because a lot of people don't think we are a sport. If you're going to hold us to the level of everybody else.
Speaker 15: Then it's then it's just what.
Speaker 11: It is, an incident that happened in a highly competitive, physical basketball game.
Speaker 2: Talking to Don Staley, Hall of Fame head coach, uh a former college player of the Year, Nate Smith coach of the Year, I think three times, that's a hell of a resume you got there. South Carolina will win the national title.
Speaker 4: If what.
Speaker 15: If we don't beat ourselves?
Speaker 4: Did you beat yourself last year?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 11: Yes, I mean listen and again, as coaches we debrief, we talk about all the things that contributed to a win and a loss. Okay, and I'm gonna bring up some things that people probably don't know about. Like we were the number one overall seeded. We played on Saturday Monday. The other number one seed, which was Virginia Tech, played on Saturday Monday. The final four is played on Friday, Saturday Monday. In the Sweet sixteen Elite eight, the final four and National championship game, they're played on Friday Sunday. So those other teams playing on Friday Sunday, they got one extra, one extra day of rest going into the biggest weekend win. If there's if there's any advantage, it should go to at least the number one overall seed and at least the number one seed if they're if those are the only two that's left.
Speaker 15: So I we did get a rule change with that.
Speaker 11: Now the overall number one seed will play. If there's an advantage, we'll play Friday Sunday throughout the entire tournament. Now, we we gracked about that, not knowing if we will ever beat the overall number one seed again, and we find ourselves in that position. So that's that's one thing. Another thing, Caitlin Clark did what exactly what we were supposed what she was supposed to do in our game plan. Now, who who killed us is and I'm probably gonna jack up. Her name is sir Na News, sir the big I mean, she had about eighteen points and we just didn't factor in her being that that productive against us. And and then and then Aliah Bossy got in a little bit of foul trouble that that to play without her for any significant time really hurts our basketball team.
Speaker 4: How's your jumper?
Speaker 15: Fifteen feet? I'm deadly, yeah, fifteen feet, don't know, ask me to go further than that.
Speaker 4: But if but if I have to leave you open too, no, no, no, I can.
Speaker 15: Create my own shot fifteen feet and then I'm good.
Speaker 4: Are you breaking ankles? Still done? Nokay?
Speaker 7: No no.
Speaker 11: I don't even get in competitive competition with our team because they don't.
Speaker 15: They can't control their bodies. You could get hurt easily, easily.
Speaker 2: Good luck in the tournament. Great to catch up with you, Thanks for joining, Thank you, appreciate you. That's Don Staling, Hall of Fame head coach. She won three gold medals, three as a player, one is a coach. WNBA All Stars six times, College Player of the Year twice, College Coach of the Year three times. It's up to find a resume that's better than that in the history of basketball, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 4: And she's still adding to it.
Speaker 6: Yes he is.
Speaker 4: That team is legit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They lost every their starting five from last year and got a whole new starting five and here they are undefeated, number one seed. Be interesting though, if they do run into LSU again or IOWA again.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marv, Now, would you be offended if you were her and your most known for a cameo on a sitcom?
Speaker 2: I think she's joking a little bit there, I think so. I hope so, because she is well decorated and one of the greatest player coaches combination of all time comes up.
Speaker 4: Though. Yeah, you know, you know.
Speaker 2: John Wooden was an All American as a player and then became one of the greatest coaches of all time, but his resume is not the same as Don Staley's. We'll take a break last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com. And within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live, last.
Speaker 2: Call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow, all of that in the next fifteen minutes. Here we were talking about when proathletes would appear on a sitcom, they you would always open the door and they'd be there at the door, and then the crowd would start applauding, and then they.
Speaker 4: Say, look, it's Joe Namath of the Jets.
Speaker 2: Who's here? Who are some of the other cameos that we saw. Yeah, Paul, well, exactly what you said.
Speaker 9: Like when Don Staley and the other players from the team Martin Lawrence and is going to go, I'm gonna take you down to the court, and I brought some of my friends with me.
Speaker 4: It's the USA.
Speaker 9: National basketball team, and the place goes berserved, and so the players have to wait to their opening, like Rebecca Lobo has We're here, you know, but she has to wait till the applause dies down.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marv, And there's a difference between when people know you and when they don't. Because if it was the Notorious Big had a cameo Martin, he could just open up the door. Market just opened up the door and they would see that it's Biggie and you start to get applause. But for the women's team, it's like, all right, we don't know them, so we have to announce who they are so they can get an applause.
Speaker 2: Get some phone calls in here Bob and Seattle, Hi, Bob, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Ady b.
Speaker 17: Right lead microfracture surgery survivor.
Speaker 8: Okay, and.
Speaker 17: Great interview. By the way, the Caleb Williams subject is very interesting, especially by RG three, because he was drafted in a really great organization and I don't think he was utilized all that great. So I have to respect the Bears for actually trying to put a structure in place for him. I think it's not such a bad place for him to go.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: RG three was going to Washington.
Speaker 2: That wasn't a great organization because you start with the ownership there and then he remember, he got hurt and they played him and I don't think he ever really recovered from that. So he was in an organization that was dysfunctional. The Bears that the problem I have is the same as RG three had, and that's your head coach is in the final year of his contract. If I'm a rookie quarterback going into a situation, is that guy going to be around for, you know, the first three or four years of my career. Bill in Chicago, Hi, Bill, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Hey Dan? Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 16: Oh great interview with Don Staley. That was interesting. Her take on MBA. She could put in one game. So will I love your take on Opening Day in Korea? Because I mean, why are we growing the sport in a country where it's bigger, a bigger sport than in the US. Like they don't need growing baseball. We need to grow baseball. I think you're ready.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it is big.
Speaker 2: It's their national pastime, and it's truly their national pastime. But look, maybe I'm in the minority. I know I've been ranting about this, and I shouldn't be ranting. It's about global expansion. I understand all of that. That's why part of the reason why the Dodgers signed him, because he is a global superstar and you want to take advantage of that.
Speaker 4: I just play a couple of spring training games over there.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers deserve, the Dodger fans deserved to have opening day in La Wish show. Hey with Tunning and so Anthony and Florida. Hi Anthony, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: First time?
Speaker 18: Long time one eighty.
Speaker 1: So I'll tell you.
Speaker 18: I'll tell you one person that agrees with you.
Speaker 12: Damn mad Dog.
Speaker 18: He was on a rant yesterday about the Dodgers playing over in Korea. He was on a rant like he so, mad Dog's in your corner. So they So I want some tickets to the Masters. I won the lottery thing where I get the ticket four.
Speaker 16: Tickets to go to the Master.
Speaker 4: I've never been awesome.
Speaker 18: So what's the one thing. What's the one thing I need to look at? Go do around the course?
Speaker 2: Well, if you can get there early and set up your chair, I would go to one hole. Now, if you're there for the entire weekend, I would walk around the first day. And it's a lot hillier than what you think. It's not flat, and just be prepared. You're going to put in steps. If you want to go walk the entire course, you'll be tired by the end of the day. But I would encourage you. I would always put a chair over on sixteen the part three and then you saw everybody come in coming through. They were important shots because it was the sixteenth pole. You could see them teeing off on the seventeenth and you know, a friend of mine, you know, we would get there early and set up shop there. There's restaurants. T Bones was always a favorite of mine. I don't know if you can get in. It's always crowded. There's always celebrities there. Golfer's there. But I would say get there early, set up shop, and load up on souvenirs because they don't price gounge you on souvenirs. Everything is really really reasonable there Brooks in South Carolina, High Brooks.
Speaker 4: What's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Good morning DP. First of all, that's sexpal music while you're on hold, that's just jamming.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 6: Definitely adds to the show there, but just a different perspective on the Clinton Sue and the ACC. Yeah, they do have kind of a quasi automatic path to the CFP. But just think about a pitch to the recruits. You know, Hey, you know the three biggest schools around us in South Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee. South Carolina's possibly playing Alabama on Saturday. Georgia's possibly playing Texas, on Saturday, Tennessee's play in Texas A and M. Well, Clinton, you're playing Wake Forest and I don't know, just it just seems like jay V to me just to kind of stay in the ACC if FSU is going to leave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well how does it sound to recruits when they go did you make the playoffs last year?
Speaker 4: And you go, no, we didn't.
Speaker 2: If you're in the ACC, you're making the playoffs. These kids are playing in the playoffs, maybe playing for national championship. You may not get that opportunity because of the competition in the SEC or the Big Ten. Yeah, Florida State one's out. Okay, good luck with that. You're going to be more highly regarded if you go have that kind of season. You go undefeated and you're playing in the SEC of the Big Ten. But you're not going to go undefeated in the ACC. With the new playoffs, you're going to be in the playoffs, the expansion you'll be in, so there won't be any more. Hey, we didn't get any respect because we play in the ACC. You're guaranteed two spots. Pauli dis Day and sports history.
Speaker 9: Got a few. Nineteen sixty eight, Will Chamberlain became the first center in NBA history to lead the league with assists eight point six average for the season. Nineteen eighty nine, it was announced that Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Rose was under investigation for gambling doom. Nineteen ninety, the LA Lakers retired Kareem Abduljabar's thirty three tough decision there, sure they will, that's one of the how how long is that meeting? And then last, Lebron James in two thousand and five, at age twenty and eighty days, scored fifty points in a game. Fifty six points in the game, youngest player to fifty.
Speaker 4: You know who the first guard?
Speaker 2: Well, he's not the first guard to lead the league in scoring, but in nineteen sixty eight, this guard became the first in twenty years to lead the NBA in score. It was Dave Bing, one of my favorite players. Underrated the average twenty seven a game, Syracuse guy. On this date in nineteen sixty five, Gail Goodrid scored forty two. UCLA beat Michigan. The Bruins went back to back with national championships. And let me see, Oh here's one I did not know. Babe Diedrichson Zaharias in nineteen thirty four, pitched a hitless inning for the Philadelphia As in a preseason game against the Brooklyn Dodgers. Alrighty you go, babe. Another babe who was a great athlete, Todd would you learn today?
Speaker 10: John Staley says you must have disciplined to play for her and acknologist Kaylin clock is the greatest play of her time.
Speaker 2: Seat O'Connor college basketball coaches, varied interest in music.
Speaker 9: Marvin don Staley her jumper still deadly Yeah from fifteen. Paulie Hubert Davis loves the little Dirks. Tire rack dot com the official tire expert of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to ti rack dot com slash stand try the easy to use tire decision guide. See the full lineup of Yokohama tires special offers, free road hazard protection and mobile tire installation. Tire rack dot com. That's the way tire buying should be. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, the all around support. Sign up for the bracket challenge. We'll talk to you tomorrow.