Speaker 1: Now Really.
Speaker 2: Really Real Hello, and welcome to Really Know Really, with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, who note that subscribing to our show has improved the health of our subscribers, or at least it seems that way, because as much as we'd love you to subscribe, it might just be a case of the placebo effect.
Speaker 1: A recent YouTube video shows.
Speaker 2: College freshmen acting obviously intoxicated after drinking what they were told were several beers, but the beers were completely non alcoholic, hence the placebo effect, which refers to a fake treatment of ailments by administering sugar pills in place of an actual medication that is nonetheless successful. So how does it work and how can it be so powerful and defective? To answer that and other questions, we sought out the world's foremost expert on placebos, doctor Luana Coloca, And what we found out is a prescription for a fascinating episode or a viable substitute anyway.
Speaker 1: And now here are two guys who are almost as good as the real thing, Jason and Peter.
Speaker 3: There is a product that Jerry Seinfeld does a great routine about that actually is a good pick me up for me, is the five hour energy shot works? I find it works. As Jerry said, why five hours five hours of energy? You need an hour, two hours, four hours, six or eight hours? Who needs five hours? They probably did research that said, oh people, people will like the title.
Speaker 4: Five five hours, five.
Speaker 5: Hours, seven hour energy drinking. I don't have, Yeah, I don't doing anything that long.
Speaker 4: Six hours hard to say.
Speaker 3: Two hours, you know, one hour, two hours you barely get through late. I'm just thinking if they told me it was a five hour energy shot, and I drank it and it was grape juice, but I go.
Speaker 6: Well, and that discussed. Today's episode is about the power of nothing right placebo effect, which basically started. I should mention that it's being recognized as powerful enough that the American Medical Association considers it ethical to use placebos to enhance healing on their own. I was trying to find something to denote how powerful this can be. So a twenty six year old man was taken to an emergency room after arguing with his girlfriend. He attempted suicide by swallowing twenty nine capsules of an experimental drug that he obtained from a clinical trial that he was testing on antidepressants. When he arrived at the hospital, he was sluggish, shaking, sweating, had rapid breathing. His blood pressure was extremely low eighty over forty, and his pulse was one ten doctors who are finally successful at raising his blood pressure. Over the course of four hours, they injected him with six leaders of saline solution. His blood pressure increased to one hundred and over sixty two, which is at the lower end of the normal range, but his pulse remained high. On six. What finally cured the patient wasn't anything the hospital emergency room staffed it. Instead, a doctor from the clinical trial arrived at the hospital. He told the patient that those antidepressant tolls weren't antidepressants because he had been randomized into the control arm of the trial, he had overdosed on placebos. Within fifteen minutes, the patient's blood pressure stabilized at one twenty six over eighty and his heart rate dropped to a perfectly normal eighty beats per minute, which shows you the power of thinking you've taken something that he can actually physically manifest itself. An overdose of placebo. The guy thought he was going to die, and it actually took yeah pretty pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: So that's that's a power that cut in all directions, Like if I if I want to tell myself that the chocolate cake I ate was really just a placebo, will I not Will my insulin level not spike? Will my beltline not expand?
Speaker 6: But the placebo effect, And they're also said there's a no cebo effect, which is the opposite, which is about believing that something's bad for you.
Speaker 3: Well, I have a question for our guess because I was once in a desperate situation given a drug that was the only thing that solved it. But I want to know if it could have been solved with because it is a pain management thing, and that is an area that pusedly. Placebos have had a great deal of efficacy.
Speaker 6: And by the way, seventeen ninety nine is the beginning when a British physician named John Hagar set out the test this quack remedy. It was expensive metal rods named perkinstractors that purported to draw disease in the body, and he pitted the metal rods against wooden rods that looked the same. Four or five patients with rheumatism reported that the pain improved.
Speaker 3: Well, that is supposedly the science behind natural healers or shamanistic healers, and a.
Speaker 4: Lot of it is.
Speaker 3: You know, there was one one thing I read in the research you sent me that said, left alone nothing, you don't do anything.
Speaker 4: Three out of five times people just get better.
Speaker 3: Nature takes nature. So if you if you say, oh, oh, I'm making.
Speaker 4: You better, I'm making gaha making you better.
Speaker 3: Along with natural feeling, the mind goes, oh, I do you know what?
Speaker 4: I feel a little better?
Speaker 3: And that that that is you know, I say what acupuncture may be or acupressure or reiki or shaman is.
Speaker 6: The minerals that you take forever. But man, I say something, I feel a little better. Whatever you did, what I just did to you, I feel a lot of that.
Speaker 3: That's the ancient practice of BS.
Speaker 6: But it is fascinating how the mind, the mind actually can heal itself.
Speaker 3: So we went out and found a placebo expert.
Speaker 5: Yeah, why wouldn't we do that?
Speaker 6: Why wouldn't we Why wouldn't we could stop in this?
Speaker 4: Why would they agree come on our show?
Speaker 5: Hey, we have said every episode I.
Speaker 4: Know we have with us today.
Speaker 3: Doctor Lewana Coloca is an empowered distinguished professor at the University of Maryland and the director of the Placebo Beyond Opinions Center, which I need to find out more about. It's at NIH funded, internationally recognized expert. Doctor Klocha and her team research human pain modulation in patients suffering from chronic pain, hoping to deepen understanding of placebo and no Cibo effects, which is what we've been talking about. She has an MD, a PhD in neuroscience, a master's degree in neuron Oh my god, she's done postdoctoral training at the Brain Imaging Center in Stockholm, Sweden. And it is a pleasure to welcome you, to really know, really, doctor Lewana Kaloka.
Speaker 4: Nice to see you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: So I wanted to just alert you the fact that I just told a story that I thought was one of the better examples of the guy who overdosed when placebo went to the hospital and because he took all the antidepressants and his blood pressure, everything responded as if he had overdosed until the doctor said you were in the placebo group, and then within fifteen minutes to adjust it. And that kind of is the most dumb down way, easiest way to show the power of the brain that the brain believes something, it can actually create physiological response to something that's not happening, which is insane.
Speaker 7: The brain is very powerful and still one of the organs will know less. So we truly excited to use plusy boats as a tool to understand how the brain can influence body responses.
Speaker 3: Was there a particular bit of research or an event that because you really this is like part of your full time work in research, was there something that just made you go, oh, I just want to know more about this placebo thing.
Speaker 7: Actually there is. I was a fresh PhD student and I had to finish my medical degree since a few months and I started starting plasive effects with Parkinson patients receiving a very complex surgical procedure that we call diffibent stimulation. I was very skeptical. I even told my.
Speaker 8: Mentor I wanted to do science that really matters, and I didn't feel like Placibo is exactly that in those science until I was in the interpretative room and we started recording neurons from a patient with only local ants teacher, so it was collaborating with pass and so on, and then we gave a Placibo that was subercutaneous injection of the fake doose of dopamine.
Speaker 7: Actually it was just a selling solution, and we started recording and the spike of the neurons decreased as if we had given the active treatment. They add apomorphine, which is shocking.
Speaker 5: It was shocking.
Speaker 6: So you're saying instead of dopamine, you gave it fake dopamine.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 7: The patients heard better, they said, oh, I feel better, might remor disappear. A neurologist enter into the room to assess the rigidity and was also decreased. The most important for me as neurophysiologist, I was on the left side before the equipment. See the spike of the neurons, and the spike become flower and as if we had given the active treatment.
Speaker 4: So it wasn't just the patient's experience.
Speaker 3: You could actually see that the body was responding neurologically as if it had received.
Speaker 5: The real thing.
Speaker 7: I love that you say that, because as a NEUROSCIENTI I want something changing in the brain for me as much as as physician opinion of a patient. The release of I want something true, you know, so objective, and that objective sign was the reduction of the spike and the neuronal activity as if the patient had receive an active treatment. So for me, when we go wine all the results, the clinical evidence and the objective evidence, but me pujective evidence it's real.
Speaker 3: So you mentioned something in that example that I that I want to ask about. Years ago, I started getting kidney stones and the first time I got one, I was I was on a set and I was being treated with vicodin. I it wasn't working, and eventually I was rushed to the hospital. Now, I have never in my life prior to this moment, had morphine.
Speaker 4: But vicodin wasn't helping. Nothing was helping this pain.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, they gave me morphine and instantaneously my pain disappeared. My question to you is if they had just told me I was getting morphine, would I have had the pain reduction? Even though I don't know what morphine feels like.
Speaker 7: Some patients respond very well even if they never had the experience. Some other patients may not. But the Blasibo research started with beech Air that was an anesthesiologist working with saltiers in Sicily during the Second World WARLD and it odd soldiers this is morphine your pain will be released, and the observe that some patients were able to manage their pain, do not feel pain, whether some patients do not do that, and that is one of the main line of research in my lab currently. We are interested to know where this lucky one and those people a little bit less if.
Speaker 6: People, yeah, well you also did you did the thing that was fascinating to me where I know you did the pain experiment where you would show a red light when you when you hit people with a certain voltage, and a green light when it was low. And after a while you started messing with it and doing the high voltage but showing them green, and they didn't feel the pain that they had registered that they felt when it was a red light. So the mind was told to associate low with green and it adjusted.
Speaker 7: We observe the fifty five percentage of people responding to that. It's a huge number. We don't even get this proportion of responder when we run a try and or pharmacological treatment of paint. Five is a very large proportion and it may explain why many trials for pain, chronic acute pain pain because the placebo response is so relevant. That's somehow creating what we would call it sell effects. It masks the effects of the active treatment.
Speaker 6: If the results are so good, do doctors ethically can they prescribe a placebo.
Speaker 7: We call this open labeled placibo, telling patients we give you placypo And over the last you know, five seven years, several labs have published that even placibo and telling patients they're taking placibo improve different kind of pain disorders, no back pain as their tritis, irritable bowel syndrome related the pain. And we felt too bad to let them go without anything. So what do we start doing was telling a patient, look, that is how you respond in this cant while we were running this brain imaging experiment, and we offer you the possibility to continue to benefit in another way. The only way we have to give you placimbol. And you understand this are placibo that you will bring home and you will take for forty five days. So we start doing that. The results are amazing. Their clinical pain decrease when they receive open label placibo, and they understood, they verbalized get it. They still respond that's that is not one day, you know.
Speaker 6: So you're sending a home with forty five days of sugar pills and their pain is still gone, even though I know that it's sugar pills. Is it is it? Is there a guess? Is it the attention they're getting? Is it the treatment that they're getting.
Speaker 7: We have several control groups and still they receive the attention because we were monitoring people without we call no LP without any placibo. So the people that is the more were, you know, monitoring daily the information and the interaction with my team, they didn't improve. So there must be something in the action of choosing to take up placbo that trigger probably again this endogenous mechanism more healing.
Speaker 3: After Could has anyone tried or do you do you speculate that this could work the other way? So, for instance, if you have a patient who is now addicted to an opioid, is there has anyone tried a placebo opioid to sort of get them off opioids where their mind is thinking, well, I'm still getting this thing, but in fact they are not.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 3: Has anyone tried a placebo opioid to sort of get them off opioids where their mind is thinking, well, I'm still getting listening, but in fact they are not.
Speaker 7: This is brilliant and it should be the next line of research to try to use placebo to taper the opioids or help those people. So today we don't have any trial begin done with open label placibo, and it is still an open question. And the challenge has been and the offer this podcast will help to be contacted from many patients who use opioids to manage their pain. The challenge is to enroll patients who use oois and that has been the you know, difficulties so far, but we do want to do that. We do to enroll patients to work with us because this is literally an alliance, a partnership where we want to see how the brain can play a or in helping managing given situations that are very difficult.
Speaker 6: Does this have to do also, because again there's a novel effect, which is if you're negative and you believe it's not going to work. Does this have to do with a level of I mean there are different levels of positiveness in people and dourness and sadness and depression that other people are more apt because they're more positive, they're more hopeful.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, What do we consistently see is that those people who tended to be distress fearful tend to have lower expectations of benefit, and often they also have lower plasive effects. But what is interesting is that place ebo somehow, or even in people without any of we see people that.
Speaker 8: We ask you know, how much do you wish to improve? As well?
Speaker 7: Letter everything? I have zero, there is nothing that can help me. Well, when we do this rhet the green exposure to reduction of pain, we can observe plasive effects even in hopeless people, people who don't believe, people who don't have anymore desire a drive to.
Speaker 6: Improve our people are doctors right now writing prescriptions for policles for people.
Speaker 7: No, I don't think so not yet, So I.
Speaker 3: Can't go to the CBS yet.
Speaker 5: I'm generic.
Speaker 7: Some of my colleagues hope that that will be the next step that at least in the States, we're not there. You can't prescribe about as.
Speaker 3: There is something that I have done for years that I discovered I could do and it has been very helpful to me.
Speaker 4: So I don't get migraines.
Speaker 3: But you know, like anybody, I get a headache now and then if I take a pain reliever it's great. It knocks my headache out, but there are times when I don't have it nearby. So I have been able to mentally change the sensation of pain to a sensation of pressure. And when it's pressure it it doesn't. I just say to myself, Okay, where does it hurt. Okay, it hurts right there. So don't think of it as like this throbbing, radiating thing that's irritating your nerves. Think of it as literally someone is pushing from the inside, like a massage from the inside. It's just pushing on that spot and what you're feeling is the tenderness of the spot.
Speaker 4: And by doing that.
Speaker 3: Emotionally, I don't go oh something, you know, it's like when you Sometimes it can actually take the headache away. What it can certainly do is keep me at a place where I'm very comfortable until I can get to a place where I can lie down on a massage ball or get to a pain reliever.
Speaker 7: The experience is shed is so important because in chronic pain patient or those who have even acute pain, this scene can be amplified by the level of attention with pain. So when you describe the lack of ability to have the drug. You know, the logos of control. You want to be in control, so you say, okay, in one hour, I will be home. I can lie down and I feel better. And many times we take up and kill immediately because we want Somehow, this feeling of pen reduction and the response also can occur quite fast, even before you know we metabolized to that medication. Feeling that how the placebo component is power fully. You know, many time we experience an lgsmmediately after taking appeal. That is a ready deplasible component. Also, it is interesting that we panic when we don't have access to a bankiller. Unfortunately, for many patients this sort of ability to tackle the inner mechanism of descending modulation of a pain become a very unusual or difficult because they never tried or they never were told of, and so the action of them is taking appill immediately and then if the first doesn't work, taking two or three or four and then escalating to the next more powerful pain medication that mechanism can create. You know, this sort of need of escalating and multitaire be and so on. That is why I still believe that even treatments that may work by virtual of placbo mechans so important as long as they empower a patient to be able to harness what I love to call informacy.
Speaker 5: We all have that.
Speaker 3: Has anyone this is good? This is my last question, because you're gonna all judge me. I don't want to judge you anyway, because I don't want to be judged. So we've been talking about Placibo's primarily for pain management. For a patient that would have to take viagra, mm hmm, if you give them a placebo viagra, do they get the desired effect?
Speaker 5: Probably they will.
Speaker 3: I mean, has anyone to your knowledge as anyone, don't don't research on that because I also think I have to assume a large part of that result is psychological.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, there are studies showed that side the effects of treatment for prostate cancer that actually, you know, delifless the physician described have reduction of a libido and sexual dysfunction. So those patients who are alect about the side effects of cancer related the therabists tended to experience a larger amounts of side effects for dysfunction compared to those patients who were taught in a different way or even not told about the side effects related to sexual functions. So they're literally the mind somehow influence in both the positive and negative way, and the azybol the bar between of the placebo works in a more you know, effective way. I mean when we need that. If someone tells us you will experience the science of defense, this will become self profit most all the time.
Speaker 6: Belief is the oldest medicine known command. So thank you, thank you very much for coming on, and work faster and harder.
Speaker 5: Would you please or at least believe you believe you are.
Speaker 6: Yes, we believe you are and that will that will help Jason, And thank you for coming on.
Speaker 4: Thank you doctically.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your work than you you.
Speaker 6: Just inside you may you may need to placey of us for the for for little j Why.
Speaker 4: Can't I can I not be spec with it? Why do you know what I see?
Speaker 3: I knew the minute I said started talking about sexual dysfunction you were going to make it.
Speaker 5: Excuse me?
Speaker 4: And when you assume.
Speaker 6: Would yeah, you're pretty right here, You're right based on a Plazero fifty, you would have done the same to me.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 6: It's really interesting how powerful the mind can be and what what it can do.
Speaker 3: You're right, there was so that that whole thing I was sharing with the doctor about that notion of turning pain to pressure for me came from when I watched and an old Star Trek episode, And there was a Star Trek episode where they get sucked into this galaxy and they they are back in the Old West.
Speaker 4: They're actually at the the.
Speaker 3: Ok Corral, and they're going to be replaying this moment in history where they're going to be in the gunfight.
Speaker 4: And what Spock realizes is the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Everything though it feels real and tangible to their senses, all of it's an illusion, he says, when you know that, the illusion is ineffective. So if you know that the bullets are not real, when they get fired at you, they won't hurt you. And the humans are going, well, that's.
Speaker 4: Great for you. With your vulcan brain, you can do that. But if we have even a shadow of a doubt, we're dead. And so he does the Vulcan mind mold on them, convinced that the.
Speaker 5: Bulletin reload. Now they of.
Speaker 3: Course the bullets don't hurt them, and the aliens go, oh, you're fascinating.
Speaker 5: I love you.
Speaker 6: Bring up Star Trek, and every time we have Star Trek, I'll say, why do they have to go to the transporter room?
Speaker 5: Anyway?
Speaker 3: I just so that that got me to, you know, the same thing. And then the other thing that was true for me is years ago, I used to have a kind of a bad ssiatic thing. I would might, I'd tweak my back all the time. And we were in Vegas. This happened when you and I were in Vegas and we were doing the Donnie Clay Show and my back was bad, and you know, and then you're in Vegas and you're keeping weird hours and you're not sleeping in your own bed. And I get up one morning and I already bad back tweaks again. And a friend of mine had given me this book called Healing the Back by doctor John Sarno.
Speaker 4: Now John Sarno is a backstort.
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 3: Howard talked about around and you know, he's a back surgeon, so he knows that there are mechanical reasons why people have back pain and back failure. But he also had done a lot of research about patients that were stressed, patients that were exhausted, patients that you know, just where a lot of this pain could be psychosomatic or self inflicted. And I was reading the book and my my friend, who gave it to me, said, just read the book. I said, I don't have time to do a program. She said, no program, Read the book. I said, what do you mean, read the book. I'm gonna have to do a thing. There's exercises. She said, just read the book. So I had read when this thing happened. I had read only about five chapters, but I understood the gist of it, which was, you know, there's a psychosomatic component. And I got up that morning I retweaked my back and in the room I yelled out, all right, I got.
Speaker 4: At I'm exhausted, I'm stressed, I'm this.
Speaker 3: I'm not pick something else, pick something else other than the back pain. By that night, the back pain was gone, and I have never tweaked my back again.
Speaker 4: And that was how many years ago?
Speaker 5: We were doing that? A long time ago.
Speaker 6: And I've heard how we talk about other people talk about unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Did they have a cliff notes version?
Speaker 4: I just gave it.
Speaker 3: But it's it's that a lot of people experiencing true pain, real pain, debilitating pain in their back, were having it exacerbated by the fact that they were holding onto a stress. They were holding on to which is really dangerous stuff. Unce you decide to let it go. Look, I believe that's why we had her on. It's fascinating to me the advance was going to make But somehow it's a learning a part of the brain. So if you could stimulate that part of the brain yourself without having things that If we could do that, there's a whole area of things that I've thought about where they could be placeboie things and we'd still have a like imagine a placebo vacation, not an actual vacation, but you think you're on vacation. Imagine placebo foods. You're eating a sandwich, but you placebo it's a steak. Imagine a different career. You're you're digging a ditch, but you're imagining that. You know, sexual partners that I just always wondered about that. David, what's happening to.
Speaker 4: David in your imagination? How are you feeling, sir?
Speaker 1: My imagination? I feel great.
Speaker 9: But did you tell the end of that Vegas backstory?
Speaker 1: Because you were.
Speaker 9: Saying pick something else, pick something else, or was that just went to the viager question.
Speaker 4: No, it's actually what happened.
Speaker 3: But is by the end of that day, that chronic backman that I had been having for weeks was gone.
Speaker 4: I mean, was was so gone to the point that it was not.
Speaker 3: An issue for me. It wasn't inhibiting anything. And over the next few days it was completely gone. And I've never tweaked my back again.
Speaker 5: Is he still around that off?
Speaker 3: Because for a while was out there and all the book is still very much available, Healing the Back Doctor John Sarno. But it was, it was remarkable, and it really I think it was this sort of violent expulsion of emotion where.
Speaker 1: I went I got by the way.
Speaker 6: You realize we're kidding and joking, but when you say a place of a vacation, you know what that is. That's meditation. Yes, it's taking a different place. So and that pot that's only been around.
Speaker 3: Or some people call it a staycation where you suddenly look at the place you are in a different way and take it in for its beauty, take it in for what's positive and wonderful about it, rather than going it's the rut of you know, it's the same, you know, I believe.
Speaker 5: That, David, what do we have or virtual reality?
Speaker 9: No mistakes? Today, you guys were really hitting it out of the park. But the thing that occurred to me was that that a placebo of course, is anything that seems to be a real medical treatment that that isn't. I thought that I'd sort of looked for a few of those things that most of us considered to be facts but are in fact not true, okay, all such.
Speaker 1: As, Oh, I don't know, how about bagpipes?
Speaker 4: Where were bagpipes invented?
Speaker 3: Not in Ireland, not in Scotland, not in Scotland. I think they were probably if I had to guess, I would say it was someplace like a Turkey or you know, something like, Yes.
Speaker 9: Ancient Turkey and Egypt have have found in fact they were made from dogs skin and boats.
Speaker 4: So that I did not know.
Speaker 6: By the way, can you imagine who's the first guy to sit around and go, I bet if we're blown to death, we got a high g.
Speaker 5: I mean, seriously, you always want.
Speaker 4: Reverse a little hole in each We'll get four notes.
Speaker 5: You got it?
Speaker 6: You gotta get busy still, Hey mo, how's still talking about?
Speaker 5: From there in the dog?
Speaker 1: So yeah, all right, ancient Egyptian.
Speaker 4: How that's an interesting.
Speaker 1: And and who said, boy, we've done a great job that.
Speaker 4: We've really you're knocked.
Speaker 5: Everybody, all right.
Speaker 1: Napoleon not short?
Speaker 9: He was.
Speaker 4: He was like five seven.
Speaker 1: There was a there is not short.
Speaker 6: No, but they picture him Billy Bardy. They say like that, he's this really small person. He's not that small.
Speaker 4: Five seven is not short.
Speaker 3: Well, because I'm very not short, adjacent that's short.
Speaker 4: I'm five five.
Speaker 5: Well that's short.
Speaker 6: You know, when you go to the musement park, if you can't go into tilted world, I can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: The thing, yeah, no, the rumor, the myth is that he was five to two. But apparently back then there was something called French inches, which were a different measurement.
Speaker 5: Five years.
Speaker 4: Well, we're all aware, we're all aware.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, they went back.
Speaker 1: Two more quick ones. Drinking milk does not produce mucus.
Speaker 9: So if you're sick and you're mucacy and stuff like that, you could drink milk, not gonna not three products don't don't produce.
Speaker 5: No generations of Tilden's are not wrong with that.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: I cannot alter my belief system. There mere scientific studies I'm going to.
Speaker 9: And the last one that got me was, it's quite likely that Vincent van Go did not cut.
Speaker 1: Off his own ear.
Speaker 4: Who cut it up?
Speaker 9: Well, uh, they think that it was Paul Gogan who came at him with a rapier of some kind, and they they came up with this story when the authorities showed up and and van Go didn't want Gogain to be a risk.
Speaker 3: That would be an incredibly dexterous lunge to come at a guy, and you know that's like a surgical strike to lop off an ear.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think the whole thing was lopped off.
Speaker 3: I think the whole thing was not lopped off. In a matter of fact, there was I saw what I do in my spirit time. There was a huge documentary on van Go about the controversy of.
Speaker 5: Of the ear.
Speaker 3: They they have presented what seemed to be ample proof that it was self inflicted.
Speaker 4: But that what he did is he didn't take the whole year.
Speaker 3: It was kind of on a diagonal and he left sort of the top ridge and got.
Speaker 5: Them based on this. What was the reason that he did.
Speaker 4: He was madly in love.
Speaker 3: It's this prostitute that he was seeing and she was not leaving her life to make her way.
Speaker 5: We don't.
Speaker 3: He was he and he was you know, uh, clinically depressed, and and then that was the kapper and so he as a gesture of he's dying, dying love or or despair. Didn't want to despair. Did it turn the prostitute around?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I think she went what they called the geen darns.
Speaker 5: Did they say? I'm sure? Did they save the ear? Did try to reattach it or I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, but there was I believe I'm remembering this very sporadically. I think they made a death mask of van Go and that's how they know.
Speaker 6: That part of his ear was still there, because all the pictures him with the thing that right, dirty not pictures dirty rot.
Speaker 5: You put you put some clean on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they didn't know that back they didn't know from David Snyk you very much, It's very welcome. I think the amazing thing was he took up Placebo for the Pain of the Year and was still screaming and was still he was actually the model for Munches of the screen Placo.
Speaker 5: The first experiment in place above failure.
Speaker 4: So there you go exactly.
Speaker 6: No, thank you, David, very good and she was fascinating. Thank you, And I hope she's doing her work so we can get plus cibos sooner rather than later. And one last thing would hell, because you have asthma. I do, And she's absolutely right. If I leave that, I never have an asthma problem. If I leave the house without the inhaler, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 6: In twenty eleven, one group received an inhaler with albuterol. Yeah, another group gun inhaler with a placi about third group got a sham acupuncture before it's got nothing to study. Authors evaluated lung function on two metric software port from the patients on the asthma symptoms. Yeah, if you go by software, it looks like the placebo, a butterol, and the sham acupuncture are all equally effective.
Speaker 5: That amazing act.
Speaker 3: I know, I know from when I have had I know I don't get asthma attacks. But there are times when I go ooh, that feels tight. And if you start to panic, it makes it word, it makes it worse. And if you go all right, so stretch open an up, take a couple of deep breaths.
Speaker 5: It's amazing.
Speaker 6: With all the research, we still don't know a lot about the human body.
Speaker 3: What do yes, I know a little more about.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being I need to forget next time, producer, Laurie.
Speaker 6: Thanks for even hanging and not walking out on us. We really appreciate that, and for producing the day that. Thank you the most importantly. Thank you for watching, listening, and contributed. I made the contributing part up. I don't know what they contributed.
Speaker 5: They contributed, that's.
Speaker 2: Another episode if Really Really comes to a close. I know you're wondering about unusual examples of the no cebo effect, in which people experience symptoms without actual cause.
Speaker 1: Well, you bet your sweet sugar pill. There are plenty.
Speaker 2: But before I share some of those, let's thank our guests to doctor Luana Kaloka. You can watch doctor Koloka's fascinating research with her many videos on YouTube and ted Talks. Additional contact infolk and we found in our show notes at Reallyno Really dot com. Our little show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and threads at Really No Really Podcasts, And of course, you can share your thoughts and feedback with us.
Speaker 1: Online at Reallynoreli dot com.
Speaker 2: If you have a really some amazing fact or story that boggles your mind, share it with us and if we use it, we will send you a little gift. Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts. Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell. So here updated when we release new videos and episodes, which we do each Tuesday, So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. And now to answer the question, are there any unusual examples of the no cebo effect? Well, recently, a man in his twenties was rushed to a hospital after accidentally jumping onto a sharp, six inch long nail which went.
Speaker 1: Right through the soul of his workboot.
Speaker 2: The nail proved to be so painful that he had to be given major painkillers before attempting to remove it, But when his boot was finally removed to doctors discovered that the nail was actually located between the guy's toes. Apparently, the man's excruciating pain was created by the belief that the nail had gone through his foot. In another reported incident, a kitchen worker accidentally got himself locked inside a walk in freezer unit and sadly died of hypothermia several hours later. However, the report claims that the freezer was actually not working at the time, and whatever chill the man perceived was left over from when the motor had been on. The freezer was actually warming up while he was in there, but he apparently succumbed to the belief that the cold was severe and as bizarre as it sounds, Indigenous people of Australia practice a ritual called pointing the bone, in which a sharpened bone that has been endowed with a curse is pointed at someone condemned to death. As reported, once the unfortunate soul realizes they have been quote unquote boned, they usually die within three days from no other obvious reasons. So while it seems that placebos and no sebos are active and have a place in this world, I'm just going to say categorically, I like my meds the way I like my friends as real as possible. So by for now, my unseen unknown podcast listening piles, you guys are my besties? Really No Really, is a production of iHeartRadio and Blase entertainment,