Speaker 1: So it's kidding, Leana. I want to be the one asking the questions this time.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jojo coming in hot today, I wasn't ready.
Speaker 1: Do you use me? It's Jose Antonio and then come in hot every day. Thanks. Anyway, my question for.
Speaker 2: You, hum, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: How do you bring that bad bitch energy to a situation that needs it?
Speaker 2: Well? What kind of bad bitch are we being? Are we being somebody that needs a raise? Are we trying to break up with a boyfriend? Are we trying to cut off negative energy? I think it depends on what our situation calls for. Because I think you have to temper the bad bitch energy in a direction and channel it.
Speaker 1: That's good. And also here's the thing, like, so what do you think, do you like pump yourself up to get that bad bitch.
Speaker 2: Girl or oh yeah, I feel like you have to be like very Sasha fierce about it, you know, because I think naturally people probably aren't that way when they just like open their eyes and wake up in the morning. So I think whether you need it, I mean, okay, most of us that don't have your special energy or not like that, So I think, listen, sometimes you need a liquid courage. Sometimes you need a pump up song, I mean, or you could always just close your eyes and picture Daliah, because last time we checked in on her.
Speaker 1: She was sitting on the desk of De La Visa's president, casually checking her French manny and telling him I want to be famous, world famous.
Speaker 2: Now we don't actually know that she sat on the desk, nor do we know that she was rocking a French but this is the late eighties, so it is one hundred percent possible. Here's what we do know. This girl made her ambitions known in no uncertain terms. Bitch was direct power.
Speaker 1: Moves, honey, make them feel like you're sitting on their desk and looking at them like they're netting.
Speaker 2: It is indeed giving boss, bitch, And after starring in a smash hit team telenovela and becoming the most popular member of Mexico's top teen pop band, Dahlia had more where that came from.
Speaker 1: This rising star showed no signs of slowing, so Delivisa president Emilio Askataga did the smart thing and buzzed his assistant Rosita, I'm going to need you to book this girl a one way ticket to Holly.
Speaker 2: As an actor and a singer, Dalia had maxed out her time inside the Laisa's talent incubation machine.
Speaker 1: And when you stop seeing gains Hun, that's when you got to look into a new trainer.
Speaker 2: So Dalia spent much of nineteen eighty nine in la studying English and taking singing, dancing, and acting courses at the University of California, And she also reinvented her look. Remember how much Ardalia loved Sandy and Grease the musical, Well, Dalia dropped the stylish child from the wardrobe of Finbriice and donned a ruffled, braw and studded leather.
Speaker 1: Jacket aka good bye miss Andrad and hello Sandy.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess that is one way to go back to your question, Joseph, to channel your inner bad bitch, Like, if you want to be the part, you should dress the part.
Speaker 1: I'm putting on some leather right now, Hane.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's amazing to me that this girl went from like teen wholesome pop to like straddling a motorcycle in a full leather outfit worthy of sons of anarchy.
Speaker 1: Well done.
Speaker 2: I'm not seeing any chaps in these pictures, Those come later, don't you worry. Dalia was showing skin and she wasn't shy about it. In Christina Aguilera's terms, she basically went from reflection to dirty in half the time. But at this time, think back, this move was risque, and much like with Ekstina, the press had something to say.
Speaker 1: Because when you bring out your inner bad bitch, you bring out all the jumps. Want to bring a bitch down.
Speaker 2: Facts. But remember, Balia wasn't alone. And while she wasn't exactly flying off to happily ever after in the passenger seat of a T bird grease reference, yep, she wasn't about to let a couple of scandals dim her light. Wait, a couple of scandals, of course, this is the telenovela episode. There's gonna be Escandalo after escandalo, But you gotta wait for that because that's coming up after the break. I'm your host, Lilianavoscaz.
Speaker 1: And I'm Joseph Carrio and this is Becoming an Icon.
Speaker 2: A weekly podcast where we give you the rundown on how today's most famous LATINV stars have shaped pop culture.
Speaker 1: And give it the world some extra level.
Speaker 2: Sit back and get comfortable.
Speaker 1: Because we are going in the.
Speaker 2: Only way we know how with Buena buenasriesas and a lot of opinions as we relive their greatest achievements on our journey to find out what makes them so iconic. Dhalia's self titled solo debut was a buzzworthy affair. Before saying goodbye to t Medicin, she had appeared with the group on their seventh and eighth albums, both of which had sold a cool million copies.
Speaker 1: And after her in Boulina Rubio's very public fight on stage at at Timidice concert, it was clear who was the most popular member of.
Speaker 2: The group, so all jokes aside. Her new look for the album was a big swing, and she struck gold two times gold to exact at two hundred thousand units sold.
Speaker 1: Within two weeks, the record had completely sold out, and we're talking Vinyl's CDs and passetts.
Speaker 2: And that's despite one of her promo singles being banned from the radio.
Speaker 1: Because Dali's Bad Girl debut didn't stop with her looks.
Speaker 2: First, Dalia's lead single Unpacto Andreoss was attacked by critics for sado masochistic lyrics. Should we read reverse.
Speaker 1: Salucelo razrunyao yerrelo, gosas lololo enojate or yallo.
Speaker 2: H ya translation for all of our non Spanish speaking listeners seduce him, scratch him, cut him, enjoy his pain, scold him, get angry, hate him. It's getting hot today. The controversy would build to the point where the album's second single, Saliva, would be banned from several radio stations, but.
Speaker 1: The rest of the album singles were uncontroversial. There's the ballad Amara Sul and the final single Pienzunthi, which.
Speaker 2: Is a ballad dedicated to her producer and romantic partner Alfredo Diaz or Thas Scandalo.
Speaker 1: Those two Nasty Girls singles were co written by Talia and Ordaz over days in the studio that probably felt more like steamy knights in the studio, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Ordaz was introduced to Talia by Televisa's president as the producer on Talia's debut. He and Talia worked closely together on every track, and.
Speaker 1: As production on the album neared completion, Dalia and Ordaz were seen in public together more and more.
Speaker 2: This would be enough for tabloid fodder on its own. But the bigger piece here is that Ordaz was about twice Dalia's age.
Speaker 1: Double is Scandalo, And when she wasn't being hounded about her spicy new look, Dalia was fielding questions about that or daddy.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you just called him that. And even though her solo debut was a resounding success, all the negative attention from the press about her racy new persona, as well as quote unquote concerned parents who took her first singles as proof of Satan worship, eventually wore Aaliyah down.
Speaker 1: Listen always with the Satan, these.
Speaker 2: People latinos man, it's always, it's always in the devil there is. Dahlia was hit hard by depression.
Speaker 1: Quote. I didn't want to go out anymore. I didn't want to sing. I didn't want to promote the album nothing.
Speaker 2: We've said it before, we will say it forever. Fame will test a bitch, even a bad one, but especially when you're twenty years old.
Speaker 1: But as we've also said before, Dahlia wasn't alone. Your Landa, Dalia's momager and most trusted fam dropped an okay, yeah and gave her daughter.
Speaker 2: A choice quote if you want, we'll stop everything artistic. We'll pack our bags and leave the country to study to become a lawyer, a doctor, a psychologist, whatever you want. Or option two, if you want to continue being an artist and make a name for yourself in this industry, we'll fight tooth and nail and nobody is going to break you. But right now, you have to tell me what we're going to do.
Speaker 1: Would you call that a pep talk or like, is that more of an ultimatum?
Speaker 2: I would say that is empowered decision forcing that. I do it a lot with my toddler. If you want to do this or when you do this, we can do this. I think it's kind of how you have to talk to your children when they're right on the border of being not just kids but also adults. Right like, you're saying you want this, but how bad do you want it?
Speaker 1: Do you really?
Speaker 2: You know? And by the way, I will love you unconditionally regardless of the choice, which I think is the most important piece of the conversation. Do whatever you want, no skin off my back, because I love you no matter what. But I have to know who I'm supporting in this. So are you gonna be a bad bitch. Are we going home? Are gonna be a doctor? You decide, Max, and I think in these conversations, Yolanda reawakened her daughter's confidence.
Speaker 1: But not long after that, Dalia's relationship with our dogs would hit some rough waters. For reasons we'll get into in just a bit.
Speaker 2: Dalia was still determined to become her words, not just famous, world famous, but between the press and the personal drama, she needed to get away. So Dalia and her mother found a two birds, one stone solution christ Trip.
Speaker 1: Dalia Joli hopped on a plane and zoomed to Espana, and after meeting some of Spanish television's movers and shakers over unaskanyas they landed, Talia a spot on the Spanish variety show vip Nocee.
Speaker 2: Telia quickly became a fixture in Spanish household, charming audiences nationwide and showing off that Hollywood grade singing and dancing.
Speaker 1: That girls trip turned into a six month engagement in Spain, and that six month engagement in Spain led to one of Dalia's most iconic eras.
Speaker 2: It's nineteen ninety one and Dalia's mother receives.
Speaker 1: A phone call, well can we say for funzies that they were sleeping in after a long night of.
Speaker 2: Tatpath Yes, sure, Okay, It's nineteen ninety one. Dalia and her mom are sleeping in after some wild, crazy, kind of raunchy knight fueled by vermouth and choriso.
Speaker 1: When the phone rings, Yulando's arm creeps out from under the duvet, gropes around the night's den and finds the handset. She musters a graghy alla and listens to the voice on the other end.
Speaker 2: But she's not really listening until she hears the following name, Valentine Pimstein.
Speaker 1: Dalia and Yulanda joel to wake and sit up, pill marks on their faces, hair spray, all as the Valentine Pinstein see signor the Valentine Pinkstein, the man who would come to be known as the father of the pink telenovella.
Speaker 2: And you might be asking yourself what the fuck is a pink telenovela? Well, all the craziest tropes and images you might think of when you hear the word deelenovela basically come from the pink delenovela.
Speaker 1: Melodramatic romance check plot twist like amnesia and an evil twin siblings. Check crazy fight scenes, a woman going blind after witnessing her husband cheating.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, check double check.
Speaker 1: Talking dogs, evil witches, poison check check check.
Speaker 2: Valentine was a Chilean producer of more than sixty such telenovelas, including Los Ricos, Tambien, Joran, viv Rumpoco, and Chucco el Roto, and he wanted Talia to start in not one, not two, but three felenovelas known as Las Marias.
Speaker 1: These three telenovelas were each inspired by Cinderella. So poor girl meets rich boy, they find forbid in love, and that's basically all they have in common with Cinderella, because from there they get absolutely Craig Gray.
Speaker 2: And for Joseph to call something Craig Gray, you know it's got to be off the rails, okay. And this turned out to be the opportunity of a lifetime for Talia Valentine. Pimstein's tele novelas had helped launch the career of none other than Veronica Castro.
Speaker 1: Aka the actress slash singer slash interviewer who added Diane Sawyer sit down with Talia and paulin Arrubio after their on stage throwdown.
Speaker 2: Aka Dalia's own hashtag goals. Dalia immediately said yes, when do I start? But there was one holdout in the conversations that followed. The l'visa president, Emilio Askataga, the very same man who had sent Dalia to Hollywood. Emilio's objection Dalia was too young for the project.
Speaker 1: Okay, gay, she's too young to please Cinderella, but she's not too young to parade around in a brawl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and parade around? Excuse me? When did my co host turn into Abraham Vania.
Speaker 1: Don't get interested. I'm here for the parading. What I'm not here for is a big daddy Emilio calling the shots.
Speaker 2: I mean, I am not here for men making decisions about women's careers. How about that bo But don't worry because one day that the le Visa president got a buzz from his secretary. There's someone here to see you, she said.
Speaker 1: Or for funzies. Can we say he was trying to take a nap off of a double whiskey soda.
Speaker 2: I mean, we just went from Cinderella to madmis so let's go for it. Okay, this guy's definitely a power luncher. Okay, so he was slumped over his desk. Emilio Groggiley asks the secretary who's there, and the name he hears makes him bolt upright with a fountain pen stuck to his face. The Valentine Peinstein, the Man, the Myth, the Legend, and mister Beamestein convinced Askataga to let the Lia star in the first novella of the trilogy, Maria Mercedes, the.
Speaker 1: Story of a poor girl supporting her broken family by sellaring lottery tickets on the street. Abandoned by her mother and scorned by her alcoholic father, fate throws young Maria a curveball, or perhaps a lifeline, when she falls in love with a young millionaire Josse Luis del Lmo.
Speaker 2: Dahlia basically threw her life into the production of this show. She arrived at the studio at six am and left at midnight, totaling an eighteen hour workday.
Speaker 1: Dang Theyan't got no sad in Mexico.
Speaker 2: No for real. Dalia even rented a house across the street from Televisa in order to always be on call for filming.
Speaker 1: This all sounds like a hard hitting Hollywood Reporter article or.
Speaker 2: Another podcast add it to the list. iHeart to be clear, very few people can actually survive or work like this. Under most circumstances, this would feel untenable. But when you're young, and when you have the right mix of people, sometimes you can get lucky and actually have a lot of fun on the grind.
Speaker 1: True, and Dahlia did have the right mix of people. Specifically, she got to work with her big sister. That's right, big Sis.
Speaker 2: Laura Sabatta, Dalia's original inspo, played the evil stepmother to Talia Cinderella, and because this is Dalia, her character had a rebellious streak. That means that this Cinderella collapped back at her evil stepmother, leading to some of the most iconic fight scenes in telen novella history.
Speaker 1: Let's watch one right now.
Speaker 2: Auviy okay, So let's set the stage. First. Of all, the hair, so much hair, so curly, so big, so dramatic. The clothes. I will never forget this French's mustard yellow suit.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, away she pulls up those raggety sleep.
Speaker 2: Oh no, but she's not messing around. They are about to throw down, down, down, down.
Speaker 1: Oh she does and they're slapping each other and it's just so insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Maria Mercedis is synonymous with a slap like Bill Smith. Will Smith has nothing.
Speaker 1: Oh sh keep my wife's name out your mouth slapping.
Speaker 2: They should have watched this before. They're big moment at the Oscars. According to Dahlia, she and her sister would break into fits of laughter for twenty minutes at a time on set, sometimes breaking repeatedly over the same line.
Speaker 1: Dang, thank got no iatzi in Mexico.
Speaker 2: Seriously, though, big ups to whoever was holding the boom mic through all of that. According to Talia, though it was good vibes all throughout the set and throughout the cast.
Speaker 1: According to the actor who played Dalia's love interest, arthurro Pnicice, Dalia loved to have lunch at a seafood restaurant close to tell Visa and would show up to set a reeking of garlic.
Speaker 2: The day of their very first kiss scene, Dalia went soul brat and ate fish with extra garlic sauce, purely to troll arturo When arturo Ka went to this, he staged a counter attack by snarping down a red onion and blowing in her face during their kiss. When the director called action, they locked lips and both wanted to hurl.
Speaker 1: That was our first on screen kiss.
Speaker 2: Well, in the show, Maria doesn't want to kiss Josse Luise, so it actually was a happy onset accident.
Speaker 1: Wow. Tele novela magic y'all. Maria Mercedez would become an instant hit in Mexico and was broadcast in one hundred different countries. Cut to President Askaraga calling out Valentine.
Speaker 2: Pinstein, Askataga simply told Pimstein two words, all three, and so Talia starred in the next to theelenvelas of the trilogy, Marie mar and Maria La del Barrio.
Speaker 1: Marie mar is basically the same story as Maria Mercedes, except it takes place on the coast.
Speaker 2: I mean that is so classic. They're like, we don't need a new story, we just need a news backdrop. Just get me another soundstage. The show is remembered for Thalia's coastal accent and for Talia's best friend and confident on the show, a talking dog. Oh yes, a la, Look who's talking now?
Speaker 1: You mean the movie with the talking babies?
Speaker 2: No, The sequel to the sequel with the talking dogs.
Speaker 1: Ugh, wait, you mean the movie where the two dogs the cat or trying to go home?
Speaker 2: No what, that's homeward bound.
Speaker 1: You know what, Let's just stick to Dalia girl.
Speaker 2: Great call. Next in the trilogy, Maria la del Barrio storrying Talia as a poor girl wearing a homemade jughead crown. Yes, like jughead from the Archie copics. Just roll with it, you guys. I promise I am not trolling you and making this up. I promise this is actual facts, like you can google this. Okay. So this is Dalia as a poor girl with her jug head crown and hanging out with even more animal friends because Talia, I don't know. I guess she just loved animals.
Speaker 1: But more importantly, it featured La Rena Itati Cantrel as the villain Soria Montenegro, who you may know from.
Speaker 2: My aka the notorious iconic. Positively a that shit scene where Soriya walks in on her Levernando aka Maria's adoptive son of fifteen years because the show has a time skipp duh kissing Soria's wheelchair bound adoptive daughter Alicia, whom she's stuck taking care of after marrying and murdering Alicia's widow or father for the money, and then just goes absolutely apian on both of them.
Speaker 1: The story is bananas and we love it for that point is. Punters are thrown, hair is pulled, the wheelchair is knocked over. Find it on YouTube if you've been living under a rock.
Speaker 2: Dalia threw down in several scenes with Ita, and the two women gave each other a full permission to really truly slap the shit out of each other, closely choreographing where their hands would land.
Speaker 1: Sitalia, we slapped each other so hard that our jaws almost almost almost came off.
Speaker 2: I mean, between both of these fights, our girl likes to take a punch, like she likes to be hurt. Now I understand the lyrics for the first song, and now that's some pat shit and we don't have time to get into the story. But it's also worth noting Dalia got bitten by a monkey while filming this show. And listen, we love a queen who will bleed for their art.
Speaker 1: You mean, got rabies for their art.
Speaker 2: Look a little rabies is worth it when you're reaching all of Latin America, parts of the Middle East, Europe, and East Asia. Fun fact, one of the biggest fan bases for Marimar. The second show in the trilogy was the Philippines. Dalia even went on a tour of East Asia in the early nineties, and fans swarmed her for autographs. She was even invited to meet the country's president.
Speaker 1: Dang so like. Dalia told the president of Fela Visa that she wanted to be world famous in nineteen eighty eight, and.
Speaker 2: Five years later she did it, and she was still releasing music even as she was working eighteen hour production days. But even as the music went on, the heartbreak that Dalia went to Spain to escape would look awfully small compared to what was coming. Let's rewind a bit. Remember why Talia skipped out of Mexico City for Spain in the first place. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: The press was coming after her. Things reading complicated with her Silver Fox Boo and collaborator Alfredo Diaz Ordas.
Speaker 2: Right about that complication. One of the questions the press loved at Tahlia was about Ordas popping the question.
Speaker 1: Art imitates life, y'all, and Talia's life was dramatico no tucking dogs or poison.
Speaker 2: Though Ordas had indeed asked Talia to be his bride after the release of her self titled debut, and you can guess how Dalia responded, Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Don't skip town on a girls trip because you want to show off the rock on your finger.
Speaker 2: Still, Dalia's situationship with Ordaz continued despite her rejecting him, as did their professional partnership. Dalia's sophomore album, nineteen ninety one's Mono dec Gristal, was entirely produced by Urdas.
Speaker 1: The album kept two things going from Talia's debut, the iconic pop rock sound and the resounding success the album's lead single, Soulor broke the top ten in Mexico El Sa Lalor and Latin radio stations based in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: With Mundo de Cristal World of Glass, Dalia again netted a gold certified album, but it would be her last album working with Ordaz because a couple years later, in nineteen ninety four, her world was shattered.
Speaker 1: In the two years that followed Mundo de Cristal's release, or Doaz again popped a question, and this time she said yes.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't meant to be Ordas had been fighting a battle with liver cancer caused by complications from hepatitis, and while working on the second entry in the Mariaz trilogy, Marie mad Balia received word that her fiancee had died.
Speaker 1: Dalia would share in an interview that upon hearing the news, her soul was detached from her body, yet somehow she kept on working.
Speaker 2: Apart from finishing out the madai Est trilogy, she recorded a third album, nineteen ninety three's Love and poured her grief into a trap dedicated toward of that sung you know, I.
Speaker 1: Kind of feel like if I was in the situation where, you know, I had just lost someone, I think I would definitely bury myself in work. I think that's who I am.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. I don't think that you would be one to kind of like couch raw with Emily and Paris playing in the background. I feel like you would be doing so much. You'd be doing the most to create a distraction from the pain and trauma.
Speaker 1: But like, you know, here's the thing, I think that sometimes people could see that as not caring. Yes, and it's not that I don't care. I care so much, but it's just, you know, I like for people. I wonder if people talk shit about Bellah because you know, she was just doing doing more and more, and it's like, dude, your fiance just died. Bro, Like do you care?
Speaker 2: I am going to say this and I say it all the time. Grieving does not look the same for everybody. And this idea that people should do this or do that to grieve or feel is like, just focus on you, boo, focus on you.
Speaker 1: It's so hard. So so it is focusing on you. But how do you bring that bad bitch energy when you're when you're grieving, Like, how do you do it?
Speaker 2: Maybe you just channel it all into the art. Maybe it becomes even more deeply personal and healing in a way. I think you just have to work. I mean, I think that's what separates like, you know, an artist from an icon, Like she goes down in these people's lives and you never know it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I always think about that, like.
Speaker 1: Damn, that was good what you said.
Speaker 2: You know, Like what happens when Taylor Swift is having a bad day? Like what happens when like Travis like goes missing and does a text her back that night? She's kissed, but she has to go up on stage and she's still got to perform.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they can't.
Speaker 2: They cannot have a bad day. They can't have a bad day.
Speaker 1: Dalia's tribute to her late fiance was the lead single off of Love. It was one of her highest chart toppers, yet.
Speaker 2: So was the album Proper, which exceeded her earlier LP success in Mexico and benefited from Talia's version in global audience. Case in point, the album went gold in the Philippines and the theme song to Maria Mercedes, sung by Talia, was added to later editions of the album.
Speaker 1: All Talias Telenovela's theme songs were certified bops and they've got the chart history to prove it. But still to reach true global superstardom, Dalia had a bit more climbing to do, and in.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety five, at the Acapulco Music Festival, she would meet the man who would help her do it, none other than Emilio Estefan. At the time, Talia had wrapped up her contract with Fonovisa de la Visa's record label.
Speaker 1: Emilia was taken with Elia's friendliness and kindness and with her voice. He told her, if someday a record company signs you, I promise I'll do at least two songs for you.
Speaker 2: A few months later, Dalia signed with none other than EMI International, Home to Selena, among others. And that's when Emilio received a phone.
Speaker 1: Call for fun these can we say that he and Gloria were lying asleep at the huge Miami mcmanson next to an infinity pool.
Speaker 2: I think this predates infinity pools because it's the nineties, but okay, we can go with it. So Emilio gropes for the phone, and the voice on the other end makes him sit bold upright.
Speaker 1: It's Yolanda Sodi, the Yolanda Sodi.
Speaker 2: And she told him my girls on a major and you've got a promise to keep.
Speaker 1: That's next time, I'm Becoming an Icon.
Speaker 2: On the next Becoming an Icon, Dalia's skyrockets to the top, stays there and finds new love.
Speaker 1: But like a telenovela, it only gets crazier from there.
Speaker 2: Becoming an Icon is presented by Sonoo and Iheart'smichael Durda podcast network. Listen to Becoming an Icon on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcast