Speaker 1: This is a special report from Bloomberg Radio. I'm Doug Chrisner in New York. Jimmy Carter, the thirty ninth President of the United States, has died at his home in Plains, Georgia, at the age of one hundred. Carter was the longest living former US president ever. In early twenty twenty three, he opted to spend his remaining time at his home in Plains while receiving hospice care. Bloomberg's John Tucker takes a look at the life and legacy of Jimmy Carter.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Carter served as a state senator and governor of Georgia before running for the nation's highest office in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 3: This man is Jimmy Carter, an uncommon man who is now running for the Democratic nomination for president.
Speaker 2: Carter grew up in Georgia, attended the United States Naval Academy, and then joined the Navy in nineteen forty six. He later became an activist against racial segregation and supporter of the Civil rights movement. He was a dark horse candidate for the White House with little notoriety outside of Georgia, defeating Generald Ford be Come thirty ninth President of the United States.
Speaker 4: I Jimmy Carter to sell them this sware that I will faithfully execute, that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States the office of President of the United States.
Speaker 2: Carter's tenure in the oval office was tumultuous, marked by inflation, a recession, and an energy crisis.
Speaker 4: Our dependence on foreign oil will be stopped dead in its truck right now.
Speaker 2: Carter encouraged energy conservation by all US citizens and created the Department of Energy. A key achievement of his presidency was mediating peace talks between Israel and Egypt in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 4: Today we've signed the peace treaty when both nations have won.
Speaker 2: Peace between Egypt and Israel has lasted since the treaty went into effect, with Egypt eventually becoming an important strategic partner of Israel. Leaders of both nations were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for their efforts.
Speaker 4: Good evening, the US Embassy in Tehran has been invaded by Iranian students.
Speaker 2: Carter's final year in office was marred by the Iran hostage crisis, when fifty two American diplomats and citizens were held in the US embassy in Tehran. Five months into the affair, Carter ordered an operation to free the hostages, which failed, leaving eight American servicemen dead.
Speaker 4: It was my decision to attend the rescue operation. It was my decision to cancel it when problems developed. The responsibility is fully my own.
Speaker 2: The Iran hostage crisis eventually contributed to Carter's loss to Ronald Reagan in nineteen eighty. After politics, Carter committed much of his time to peacekeeping and humanitarian efforts like Habitat for Humanity.
Speaker 4: Join us with Habitat for Humanity as we rebuilt homes and lives.
Speaker 2: Carter received numerous awards and accolades since exiting the White House, including a United Nations Human Rights Prize nineteen ninety eight. In two thousand and two, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his effort to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts.
Speaker 4: Or may sometimes be unnecessary evil, but no matter how necessary, it is always evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.
Speaker 2: The Nobel Committee also noted Carter's efforts to advance democracy and human rights and promote economic and social development. Jimmy Carter was the longest retired president and the first to live past the age of ninety five. He previously announced plans to be buried at his home in Plains, Georgia, John Tucker, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Carter was at his home alongside Rosalind, his wife of seventy seven years, when she died in November twenty twenty three at the age of ninety one. Carter lived long enough to fulfill a final wish to cast a ballot for Kamala Harris in the twenty twenty four presidential election. Jimmy Carter, thirty ninth president of the United States, has died at his home in Plains, Georgia, at the age of one hundred. For more on the former president's legacy, we go now to Bloomberg's Washington Bureau and Balance of Power host Joe Matthew.
Speaker 3: Joining us now to share thoughts on the life and legacy of Jimmy Carter or Bloomberg Politics contributors Rick Davis, partner at Stone Court Capital, and Genie Shanzano, political science professor at Iona University. Thanks to both of you for being here at this important moment. Genie, how will Democrats remember President Carter?
Speaker 5: You know, I think they will remember him as a president who took over the reigns of the White House at a very difficult time post Watergate, obviously post the loss in the Vietnam War. He was an improbable victor of that office, you know, running essentially zero percent in the polls in seventy four or when he started his campaign lived in Iowa, made the Iowa caucus what it is today, and went on to win, you know, shockingly against Ford in a close selection. And of course I think, you know, one of the things that I long say is that while his presidency he doesn't have, you know, doesn't register high in the anals of what historians categorized presidents, as I do think a re examination of it as we go forward were revealed that he was a much stronger president that he's given credit for, and potentially not as strong of a post president as he is given credit for.
Speaker 2: Rick.
Speaker 3: Republicans have a different view than Democrats, largely when it comes to the life of James Earl Carter, and usually not for the better, as I think Genie's referencing here frequently comparing him recently to Joe Biden, how would you describe the mark that he left on American politics.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean there are, as Genie said, lots of questions related to the presidency at Jimmy Carter, you know, Peanut farmer from Plains, Georgia who rose to the president's But I think one of the things that's most intriguing to me is how much the Middle East played in his presidency, both as a positive and a horrible negative. Probably his greatest accomplishments in president of the Camp David Accords in nineteen seventy eight, you know, that led to a treaty between Israel and Egypt and really created the framework for the Middle East that we know today. And yet it was the Iran takeover the US embassy and the hostages that were held that really I think, you know, signaled the end of his presidency. It was something that as much as he tried, he couldn't overcome, and people saw that as a mandate against his, you know, his ability to govern. And so it's just intriguing that this man from Georgia, you know, was so defined by a place that was so far away and so complicated at the time, and the minds of Americans.
Speaker 3: Isn't that right? Did he deserve to be defined in that way?
Speaker 4: Janie?
Speaker 5: You know, I think some of it is what has when we look at things in the moment, and as we look backwards, as historians do, I think we will revisit some of that. You know, I agree with Rick in terms of his foreign policy accomplishments. You know, certainly the Camp David Accords were a shining moment. It's interesting that Carter himself pointed to something different as a shining moment, although he did take credit for that, and that was normalization of relations with China, and as we think about it today, the global economy we have today would not be possible without that. And of course you can add to that on a foreign policy perspective the Panama Canal Treaty as well, So he did have some foreign policy victories really worth noting. Of course, the Iranian hostage crisis was a very very difficult time at his presidency and twenty minutes after Ronald Reagan has inaugurated, those hostages are sent home, So you know, it is it is his negotiations that get them back. But as is typical with Carter, he doesn't get political credit in the moment.
Speaker 3: For any of the symbol of Jimmy Carter's political struggles came on the fifteenth of July nineteen seventy nine and addressed to the nation that became known as the Malaise Speech, despite the fact that he never actually used the word malaise. The president was originally set that day to deliver a speech about the energy crisis. He replaced it with one about a crisis of confidence, as he put it, in which he asked Americans to consume less and depend less on the accumulation of goods.
Speaker 4: It is a crisis of confidence. It is a crisis that strikes at the very heart and soul and spirit of our national will. We can see this crisis in the growing doubt about the meaning of our own lives, and in the loss of a unity of purpose for our nation. The erosion of our confidence in the future is threatening to destroy the social and the political fabric of America.
Speaker 3: It's hard to imagine a president today delivering that speech, Genie. Is that why so many associate it with Jimmy Carter?
Speaker 5: They do? And I'm so glad you said he never used the word malaise in that speech, and it's the speech worth rereading. It's one of the most important of the twentieth century. And you know, he does something really, as you mentioned, unprecedented, where he admits his shortcomings and then he talks about a spiritual crisis among people in the United States, too materialistic, too consumerist, and this moves him into his sort of energy strategy. And as we get out of that speech, rather he gets like an eight point boost in the polls. It's received well, but then he goes on to fire cabinet members, almost all of them. It's a sign of instability. His poll numbers drop, and the speech is sort of you know, gets this moniker of malays and it's remembered that way ever since. But I do think again it's part and person of his challenges he had with the politics of the White House, more so than the policy of the White House.
Speaker 3: Well, that's interesting, Rick Davis. You're known for, of course, managing the presidential campaign of a candidate who was known to tell it like it is. Was this a teachable moment for modern politicians about being too honest?
Speaker 6: It was for me. I was a young political operative on the Ronald Reagan presidential campaign when that speech was given, and it really did actually define for me the parties at the time. Democrats, you know, were sort of, you know, arguably studying their navels when it came to the economy. They had no real plan. As Genie said, there were economic and energy issues. People had long lines at gas stations. There was this thing called the misery index, you know, a combination of inflation and interest rates. I mean people forget, interest rates were sky high, much triple to quadruple what they are today. And the Republicans under Ronald Reagan's leadership as a candidate for president, really defined an economic renaissance for the country and use that against Jimmy Carter in the kinds of discussions he was trying to have with the country over these kind of spiritual issues really who we are and what we mean. And ron Reagan said, well, you know, we are the greatest country for good in the world, and what we need is an economy that people can prosper with.
Speaker 3: I mentioned earlier Genie that he's so frequently compared to Joe Biden and vice versa by Republicans today when you add the inflation piece, the sense of malaise that some people have and sort of the modern culture here in America. And we even go back to the fact that Jimmy Carter's first presidential endorsement from an elected official outside of Georgia came from a young senator named Joe Biden. Why not the Best was a campaign theme which sounds a lot like build back Better and shares the same spirit. Genie, how similar are these two political creatures?
Speaker 5: Do you think there are similarities? And it's fascinating that was his first endorsement from a young Joe Biden at the time. You know, one positive way in which I think they are very similar is that we long forget but that Jimmy Carter had forty major pieces of domestic legislation during his time. He creates the Education Department FEMA, he reforms civil service, fifteen pieces of environmental legislation on energy, and you know, I think he was, you know, almost ahead of his time in some ways. He before he leaves the White House, he talks about global warming, says he's going to tackle in the second term, which never comes about, and we can think now about what that would be like. He famously installs solar panels on the White House that people mock him for you know, so he was somebody who was ford thinking, did have a lot of major pieces of legislation, but in some senses related to Joe Biden. And again it's hard to say this because Biden's still in the White House, is that he has difficulty allowing or getting the public to see where he is headed and what benefits those will have in store for him. And you know, I think there's a lot of elements of that. You know, I look at Rick was talking about inflation and interest rates, they were sky high. What does he do? He does something difficult. He gets Paul Volkler in there with the harsh, harsh, you know, real steps at vulgar takes which don't benefit Carter but certainly benefit Reagan when he comes in. And so he's forward thinking in that way, but not to his political benefit necessarily.
Speaker 3: There's something here about the image of the presidency Rick that changed with Jimmy Carter. And I don't know if you want to invoke Joe Biden in this somehow, but there was Remember there was no more hail to the Chief. He wore a regular suit when he was sworn in, no more yacht jeans worn in the White House for some people, these were admirable developments that made him more relatable, that brought the White House closer to the people. For others, it was a lack of decorum. It was a turn culturally.
Speaker 6: Well, it was one of the very first sort of insurgent presidencies of our modern presidency, right. I mean, his team was a bunch of guys from Georgia who were able to navigate his campaign to the presidency, and they were used to that kind of casual nature. They were used to having barbecues on weekends, which Carter made good use of in trying to control the Congress into supporting his legislation. And you're right, I mean it was a shock to most of official Washington at the time because up until that point in time, Washington hadn't changed much over the course of the previous twenty five or forty years. And so, you know, you could argue that it was a breath of fresh air or a really destabilizing influence into the establishment of Washington. Since then, there's been a lot more instability in Washington. And yet I think you can look back to the Carter presidency as a way where so much of what we thought was standard operating procedure was turned on its head, and now I think there's more of a sense of vivity that with new presidents come new teams, and that was certainly I think more prevalent with Donald Trump, who brought in a whole new crew to Washington, much the way I think Jimmy Carter did.
Speaker 3: Some prescient words in his farewell addressed Genie. This is from the fourteenth of January nineteen eighty one, when Jimmy Carter spoke to the nation and delivered a warning on his way out of the White House.
Speaker 4: We're increasing the drawn to single issue groups and special interest organizations to ensure that whatever else happens, our own personal views and our own private interest are protected. This is a disturbing factor in American political life. It tends to distort our purposes.
Speaker 3: This is before Fox News and msnbcon and the rest the blogs, the Internet and all of it. Genie, that was a warning that a lot of us should have been listening to. And when you look back at it now, it's pretty remarked how spot on he was about the direction we were taking.
Speaker 5: That's right, I mean, he was really prescient in that, you know, a long history of farewell addresses from Washington's famous warnings about factions to Carter's and beyond. And his was, you know, very forward looking, to the extent that he said, we are before the advent of social media and everything else, we are increasingly being very divided. And he did see the United States as having something of a religious you know, a faith a challenge. He was a very faithful person, and he wanted the United States to stop being as materialistic as it was and start to address its spirituality and do so together and remember that we had things bigger than ourselves that we should think about. And of course that sounds a bit pollyannish as we look back today, but it's very much in keeping with who Carter was.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I remember Hamilton Jordan defined him as, you know, almost a pacifist in some ways, and I think it's sort of indicative of the fact that he you know, it's very tough to be president when you're seen as a pacifist. But this was Carter, and he battled with those kinds of things and tried to move forward as a faithful person and a faithful president. And you know, here was somebody who opposed abortion but had to govern under Row, so a very challenging place for him to be, and he did it. You know, I think, as you know, as honestly as an individual can.
Speaker 3: Of course, a naval veteran who was a graduate of the Naval Academy, which a lot of people don't know.
Speaker 2: Rick.
Speaker 3: The post presidency, many would suggest, was redefined by Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize in two thousand and two and developed the Habitat for Humanity, which really showed to the world that someone could be more than just a former president.
Speaker 6: Yeah, his influence post presidency is really a special thing and frankly redefined who he was in the American eye, both with the work he did overseas. He would bring delegations to countries budding democracies to oversee elections, to promote democratic freedoms that were not very popular at the time in the early nineteen eighties and nineties in some parts of Latin American Africa. And then you know, as you point out his passion and compassion for people who couldn't support themselves, you know, through things like Habitat for Humanity. I spent time building houses in Habitat Humanity myself and the bringing together of communities to be able to give something like home ownership to individuals who'd never had it before, whose families benefited for generations after that was really something special. So it was really I think, you know, he blossomed in his post presidency, and I think that's part of what people have on the top of their mind when thinking about Jimmy Carter.
Speaker 3: Today's really something, Genie. We've been talking for some time here about the many challenges and struggles that Jimmy Carter had politically in his time at the White House. Yet for presidents now he's become the model for what you do when you leave.
Speaker 5: He has, and it's fascinating. When he spoke about that, he would often say he didn't have a plan because he thought he was going to be president for another four years, and there he found himself and so he establishes the Carter Center. He also, I think, and I've heard other people say this, and I agree with this, he will, you know, obviously be remembered very warmly by Americans, but by people around the world. You know, Carter is an even bigger deal than many of our post presidents because he did so much. I mean, if you just look at guinea worm disease. He takes that from three point five million to twenty five cases, and that had destroyed many African countries, river blindness, as Rick mentioned, Habitat for Humanities, his work on you know, monitoring elections, seeking to end civil wars and crises, all of which he won the Nobel Peace Prize as you talked about. And so, you know, for people around the world, Carter is remembered as one of the most important post presidents we've ever had, and he did, you know, sort of lead the way now for modern presidents as they leave the White House for what they can sort of hope to be. He stands as sort of a shining example in that realm.
Speaker 3: He was the seventy sixth Governor of Georgia and the thirty ninth President of the United States. Remembering Jimmy Carter on Bloomberg with Bloomberg Politics contributors Rick Davis and Genie Shanzano. Many thanks to both of you for sharing insights on this important day. I'm Joe Matthew in Washington. This is Bloomberg