Speaker 1: Welcome back to Bachelor Happy Hours Golden Hour. Thanks for joining us. Hey, Susan, how are you doing? We're so excited to be here.
Speaker 2: What's do with it? My stitches are almost all melting here, so melting? How are you feeling?
Speaker 1: I'm kind of with you on the stitches, they are almost coming up. For those of you who don't know, and I can't imagine there's one of you who don't. Susan and I had some minimal plastic surgery done to make us feel better about ourselves. No judgment. If you don't do it, that's okay, but we love doing it and we feel better.
Speaker 2: That's right. So, and I know everybody you're following our podcast because you got to know these things.
Speaker 1: That's right, That's right. They will to do it.
Speaker 2: Did you get tired of saying that every week? Do we need to say this every week?
Speaker 1: You know? I don't. Here's my thing. If they're listening, the only thing that they have left to do is hit the follow button. And the reason to hit the fallow the button is you don't have to search for us every day. You'll get notified. So if you haven't hit the follow button, go find it. It's a little plus sign up. There, go hit it, and then you will know every time there's a new podcast and you can hear the silliness of Susan and me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just have fun doing this. We love all you guys, and this week has been great because people are sending back what they did with our advice and how it came out positive.
Speaker 1: I know, don't you love that? I love your career ahead of us. I know. I mean, it's it's not that we're giving We're not therapists for sure, but we've lived a lot of life, We've lived a lot of advice, and so we've you know, we got some answers here.
Speaker 2: So anyway, keep about to submit the questions.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, it's that part.
Speaker 2: I can say Bachelor nation dot com slash Golden Hours. There you go, all you have to do.
Speaker 1: Let's it all right, before we get into some of those great questions, let's do our topic of the day. All right, you're ready? What questions should you be asking on the first few dates when you're seeing someone? And what should I know about someone before making them my official boyfriend or girlfriend?
Speaker 2: Recently I've shared this with you about how to get to know somebody within the first few minutes. So Kathy, you go ahead and answer first, and then I'm going to read these five power quote No, I have them, Okay, go ahead, go ahead. I haven't used it yet. Okay, I just wrote them down and I really want to do this, all right, Five powerful questions so that you kind of know somebody. Number one, what makes you feel most alive? How about if we pretend we're the first one. Kathy, I'm going to ask you these questions and then at the end we'll see how much we know. So if someone to ask.
Speaker 1: Me, this is only a half hour show and we have trying for this.
Speaker 2: What makes you feel most alive? I would have to think about that, right, No, what.
Speaker 1: Makes me most alive is being outside, walking, hiking, scene sights that I've never seen before.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's the best compliment you ever received?
Speaker 1: That the best compliment? Oh, I don't know. I can't answer that.
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, what's your idea of a perfect day?
Speaker 1: Perfect day for me alone or with someone. If I were with someone, it would be getting up, sharing coffee together, chatting about the day, and then doing something together.
Speaker 2: A perfect day having someone to do that with. Right, what's the best piece of advice you've ever received.
Speaker 1: Live your life and do the things you love, and the right people will come into your life.
Speaker 2: What's one thing that you wish people could understand about you better?
Speaker 1: That my sense of humor is often trying to cover or a sensitive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you were to ask somebody knew those fives I think they've done for the hills, Well, I would share, like I just got this. Let's play this game and we'll get to know each other, make it fun. But I think you would know somebody a little bit how they think and what they think a fun day is and right? How else are you going to figure those things out?
Speaker 1: No? I think those are actually very good questions. Yeah, how much would you need to know about someone before you made them your official boyfriend? Enough? Did you say enough?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean how much can you know? You know the outward signs, you know, what kind of a job he has, what kind of a family life he has? They are all no brainers. But you don't really know somebody until you are the girlfriend or the boyfriend. You know, if you get into the little things, Because like we just talked about not too long ago, all the fun fuzzy stuff the girl that doesn't one doesn't have enough sex or they don't make out, you know what I mean, as you lose things that when you get too comfortable with one another. So, yeah, how about you.
Speaker 1: I think i'd have to know for me if if he's my boyfriend, which so at my age sounds so weird to say that, But if he's my boyfriend, that my person. I like that better. That we're committing to each other. That means we're only sleeping with each other.
Speaker 2: To make it know we're on the same page.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're on the same page, absolutely. I mean that's that.
Speaker 2: Was Yeah, that was an easy one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any think all right? How about we give some advice here? Okay, I love this all right? Anonymous asks, Hi, Kathy and Susan. I've been loving your podcast and I'm hoping you are able to offer me some advice. I don't know, Susan, you think we can offer some advice?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: All right. I am twenty eight and developed a close friendship with a coworker this year who is twenty nine. We work together and hit it off right away with mutual interests, similar senses of humor and values. Up until recently, we saw each other just as friends, but started chatting more outside of work. Feelings grew, and we both admitted that we like each other as more than friends. The only problem is that we are both healing from past relationships and that neither of us are ready to pursue one another and give one hundred percent to a relationship right now. He was engaged and his fiance cheated on him right before their wedding last year, and I'm coming out of a toxic relationship, so there's a lot to unpack on both ends. I am planning to start therapy as is he, and we have already taken positive steps forward from our past. We have put boundaries in place regarding how often we chat, texts, etc. Though have struggled to maintain this as we both really like each other and have a strong attraction. We have discussed focusing on our friendship right now while trying to put our feelings for one another side. I really like him and want to continue talking and just spend time together as friends, but I don't know if this would help or hurt things between us and any potential relationship. While I'm not holding out hope on a relationship, I truly do hope this is just a right person, wrong timing kind of thing. If anything, I do not want to lose our friendship. You two always share such great advice, and I'm hoping you can help me out with this. Love you both. I think you and I are going to come up with the same answer. What do you say say is that?
Speaker 2: Well? First of all, I'm still stuck on we have put boundaries in place regarding how often we chatized.
Speaker 1: I told you we were going to buck you don't do that. Hey, listen, I love you, Susan. I going to agree on this. I was like, there's no way, not only that the right one that I love to do all this work about it, You're going to ruin it, Anonymous. If you have strong feelings from and he does for you, it couldn't It could be the right guy right time. Why why do you insist on? Do you can do the work while you're still seeing him?
Speaker 2: She's saying, I would for this opportunity to actually discussed focusing on our friendship right now.
Speaker 1: That's you know what's Anonymous, You're gonna end up with a friend, not a boyfriend. I think you should go down the road. You just get the therapy, there's wouldn't you go down the road? Isn't?
Speaker 2: Well, what we don't know is how long ago the breakup was. I mean, i'll give her that said.
Speaker 1: Well, her fiance was a year last, you know, the last year.
Speaker 2: Okay, and he's planning on going to therapy and it's already been a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a little I like.
Speaker 2: Read things all over the place.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you are.
Speaker 2: Struggling inside only you know that, then you need therapy for yourself, that's great. But if you've found somebody that you're.
Speaker 1: A she's just coming out of the toxic though. Yeah, so I think you know your chance, you take a chance. But Susan's absolutely right. If there's the only red flag I see in this is he broke up a year ago and he hasn't done any work yet, So I might.
Speaker 2: Be her with all this focusing stuff like you need to to out it and you know what, if it doesn't work out, it tried and you enjoyed the moment. I mean, don't read into Harry Free lighting up.
Speaker 1: This person anonymous. We love you, We love that you have this opportunity with this guy. You know, too many boundaries, you know what too many boundaries cause more a wall a wall that you just can't get all a brick wall. So try try, just go for it, go for it and let and please let right back and let us know. Yeah, we you want to know how this goes. But I don't think it's the right I think it could be the right person. I just disagree with you that.
Speaker 2: It sounds like the chemistry is there. It sounds as if like they're both attracted and off to wh whoa wait, we don't want to get ahead of ourselves. And then you kiss him and it's like.
Speaker 1: Forget him out. I don't know you, and I just will you and I believe in love. And if she's into the sky and he says into her, take a chance to get your word tire dating.
Speaker 2: The word toxic is scary, and I hear where she's coming from. But let things go a little bit. Heal yourself, all right. The next question is it so you said let it go your past? Oh, let go your past? Okay, yeah, the toxic thing.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad you're going to therapy and hopefully he does too.
Speaker 2: So we have another another anonymous Hi, Susan and Kathy, I need some advice on how to help my in laws with their finances. Here's a little background. My father in law's business fell apart fifteen years ago and the family lost everything the business, their house, their cars. My husband and his parents were in and out of hotels during this time, and they racked up a lot of debt. Over the past fifteen years. My mother in law has worked multiple jobs to support the family, while my father in law refused to go back to work after this because he was depressed. Now in the present, my husband and I are thirty years old with a two year old and hopefully another on the way soon. Congratulations. My in laws received recently informed us of several debts that they have that they are adding up. My husband and I do well for ourselves, but by no means are raking in extra money that we don't know what to do with. That being said, we have come to the realization that we will likely have to help financially when my mother in law retires in four years. My in laws are hesitant to discuss these debts and their finances further, but my husband and I feel like we deserve to know what their money is going towards. If we are likely going to be funding their retirement. We have explained to them that we would need them to move closer to us. Currently they are a twelve hour drive away. Oh god, as my husband is the only child, and we won't be able to do a hop, skip and jump away if something medically happens to one of them. They can't just fly over there. Okay, this conversation never goes over well as they are reluctant, reluctant to move down south? How would you address this conversation with them? And do you think we are being unreasonable for want enclaslay into their finances and them to move closer to us. Thank you? Wow, I record, they're not changing. They're not changing, and they're not They're not going to The only child is going to be stuck. I mean, that's why you never want to be an only child. First of all, I have so many problems with this. First of all, Anonymous, I think you are lovely you and your husband that you are willing to consider supporting them given that your father in law never got another job. Doesn't sound like he got therapy, doesn't sound like he did any group work to get him out of his depression. I don't know if he took medication, but you know, it's sort of like he's going to do his thing and now you're going to take care of him.
Speaker 1: So I struggled out a little bit. I think you absolutely, I don't know, Susan. You know me. I think you absolutely can say. Look, guys, if if you need money from us, money comes at a cost, and the cost is you have to share your finances with us, and where the money's going, you have to move closer to us because we can't get there to you. Now.
Speaker 2: They don't want to ask them for money yet they're just telling them the debt that's growing.
Speaker 1: Well, they think they're telling them because they want them to, you know, buy a box of chocolates. They're telling them because they need help. But that is a good point, Susan. Maybe they should wait until they ask for help. Maybe you do that.
Speaker 2: Because it's not going to change a damn thing. They are who they are. I'm a little concerned with the father never going back to work. Depression is real. I get it. I'm not excusing it. And there's medication, but he sounds like he gave up. Yeah, and that's not fair to his only ch that's.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 2: He's supposed to pick up the pieces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they have a young family, and you know it says my in laws recently informed us. Well, they, like I said, they weren't informing you because they were about to tell you they want the lottery. They're informing you because they want help. And I believe them. Who has the gold makes the rules, right, So if you, Anonymous, and your husband are going to be supporting them and funding their life, guess what you get to make the rules. And I don't mean to sound harsh.
Speaker 2: No, I know, but I still want to know what the father's doing and what is he doing.
Speaker 1: He's probably sitting around reading the newspapers or.
Speaker 2: And the mother's out working and she's not going to retire for four more years, right? Is there a pension? Is there a just working odd jobs? Don't I need more details?
Speaker 1: But I also think they need to. Yes, we need more details. And guess who else needs more details? They do? They do? So Anonymous, you need to have this hard conversation with your husband. Does your husband needs to say, Okay.
Speaker 2: Look, you know she is a saint, this woman, Like.
Speaker 1: That's what I said, You're a sant anonymous, Well, let us know what happens. Good luck. It's a very hard situation to be in. And I'm sorry, and I hope you do have that second child, and.
Speaker 2: I would start stashing some money that nobody knows about it, because if you guys go broke, at least just well you knowsthy, they end up moving in with you because you can't. It's nightmare. I see a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Don't let that happen, Anonymous. Don't not make as bad choices they did. Sometimes you have them, don't move them closed right away? No no, no, no, no no no, keep them. Well, it depends how old they are. What are they going to do? They don't have any other family, and they have health issues. That's a no brainer. Yeah, but I think you I really were beating a dead horser. But I really think if you guys are going to be supporting them, you get to set the allowance, you get to set the rules. And it's really hard because you're switching roles. You're becoming the parents and they're becoming the kids. And that's resist. All right, let's move on, all right. Another anonymous, Another anonymous, how do you compromise on wedding expectations. I come from a small family that I am not close to, and I have had to work really hard for my savings and everything I have. My significant other comes from a large family that is used to grand get together as weddings, et cetera. My family will not help me pay for a wedding, and I do not want to disappoint my significant other when the time comes, because I want to use my savings on a home rather than pain to provide food and alcohol to hundreds. Love you ladies, and I listen every week.
Speaker 2: You definitely do have a conversation. And if his family loves all that, a lot of times his family will help pay. That's the only way they're going to have the kind of wedding that they expect. They're going to have to help pay for it. Because you have a great brain and you're right use that money for a down payment on it.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, And you know what I thought you were going to say? Our favorite word, Susan. You need to communicate, communicate, come to your significant What are the three c's. I don't know, Collaborate, communic co I don't know what compromise.
Speaker 2: Compromise, communicate, compromise, create. I was going to say, consider it. I forgot my three words.
Speaker 1: We'll come backward.
Speaker 2: This is what happens when you're sixty seven. Anybody else out there forget things?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a little, But listen to what I'm saying. I really do think that you you have to talk to your significant other, communicate with him or her about and more expectations.
Speaker 2: Huh, and her mother in law to be just be sad puppy face and go talk to the mother in law. Say you don't have just a mother in law, yes, because that's who's going to pay No excuse me, I'm just picturing the whole You.
Speaker 1: Don't I disagree, Susan, You don't go to the mother in law. If the in laws want to step up and say, listen a lot guys, we know you don't have a lot of money. We'd like to throw you the wedding and provide food and alcohol for hundreds, then you can do that. But but Anonymous, here's I just said this in the last question. Them who has the gold makes the rules. If they pay for your wedding, they're going to have a lot of expectations about how it should be. So if you want the wedding you want, then you talk to your partner, you guys working among yourselves, and then if they come to you and say, well, you know we want this, we want that, you can say, well, you know what, it's our wedding and this is what we've decided to do.
Speaker 2: No mom, Mom comes in with the checkbook. Yeah, just how it is with you. I know I don't spend your house money on No do not.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Question number four another anonymous Hi, Kathy and Susan. I am loving the podcast. I really look forward to hearing your podcast each week, especially the fan questions Friday episodes. I have a question for y'all about job happiness and what is normal. I recently graduated school in May of this year and have been working since the middle of June. I got a job in what I went to school for, so it would seem like I am right where I want it, except I am unhappy in my job. It is hard to put every single thing that I am unhappy about into words here, but it basically stems from me feeling like my boss doesn't fully appreciate me and what I do for him. And I have an hour long commute one way which I also don't like. I do like the majority of my coworkers, so it isn't all bad. I guess. My question is, how do you know that it is time to leave a job, and when is it too soon to leave a job? How do you discern being unhappy because this is my first real job and work is work, versus being unhappy because it is actually not a good job. I have asked my family and friend's opinions, but I'd love an unbiased opinion. Thank you in advance if you choose to answer my question. Well, of course we are oh an hour each way is a lot. It's your first one. You definitely want to have something good on the resume, so you don't want to leave too soon? Am I right? Kathy?
Speaker 1: There? Yeah? I mean she says that she graduated school in May and he's been working since the middle of June, so she's been working five what five months? Well, here's the thing I think she can start. You're looking your boss when you say he doesn't fully appreciate you, sweetie. I don't mean to sound awful, but you're working.
Speaker 2: He doesn't.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know it. Yeah, yeah, and he doesn't have to, you know, he has to provide a civil, good work environment, but he doesn't have to, you know, come into which he appreciates you. That may be your age a little bit that.
Speaker 2: You' yes, you know what I'm saying. I'm curious about what kind of job it was. She said she got a job that she went to school for. There's a lot of people that train and go to school and get degrees in something that they just don't love. And my advice is do something you enjoy doing.
Speaker 1: Well. Two things here. She took the job knowing it was an hour commute each way, So that to me is, yeah, you know, that's not much you can do about that. I think that you haven't been in the workforce long enough to know. Susan's absolutely right. If you've decided, you know, you went to school to be a nurse and you hate nursing because you pass out at the sight of blood, then you know, maybe you have to backtrack and rethink the whole thing. But understand, I don't mean to be a naysayer here, but you know, we've lived a long time here. If you are trained for that field and there aren't jobs in your neighborhood, clearly you would have taken one there. If it was.
Speaker 2: Kathy, let me do something. What do you get from I feel like it basically stems from me feeling like my boss doesn't fully appreciate me.
Speaker 1: I think that's due for him. I think that's her. Yes, that's you, That's what I'm saying. I don't That's why I started by saying. I don't want to sound mean, but you know, you're young and not everyone appreciates or.
Speaker 2: Has to being coddled anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not being you know, they're not giving you extra credit for passing an extra credit assignment in college. This is the real workforce. We're, sweetie or sir whoever I'm speaking with here. You have to earn your stripes. And we've all had first jobs. I don't want to tell you about my first job, and I worked my tail off and I never felt appreciated either. That's kind of the nature of a first job. So I think you've got to stick it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm curious as to what she's doing, but like we said, you definitely want and you're in the corporate or a professional world now, something that looks good on your resume, so you don't want to quit too soon and you do like your coworkers the hour commute, that's a lot.
Speaker 1: To me, But I would get but Susan think positively. You know what if you have an hour in the car, take up reading books on tape, learn a foreign language. You know, you make use of that hour. Make use of that hour. It's not the worst thing, you know, make youse to that hour.
Speaker 2: And I would, what kind of relationship does she have? Wea her boss? Maybe you know you say, I hope you appreciate everything I do. Am I doing a good job? You know?
Speaker 1: Like, well, if I'm guessing level, obviously I'm guessing she's entry left. She could be so so I know it's hard. It's a tough transition from school to the workforce. I would. I'm guessing your family and friends have said you cannot quit this job yet you know you And I'm going to get jump on that bandwagon and say you need to stick it out a litt at least a year.
Speaker 2: At least that's the business you want to be in.
Speaker 1: That right And if that's the business you want to be in, then that's really easy. Look for jobs closer to your home, and you can say the commute became that could be your reason for leaving. I love my job, I love my boss. I want to continue this, but the commute was just too long. And see if you can find a job closer to home. But give this guy a chance. You know, work hard for you anonymous that it is a good job though. Yeah, yes, yes, need to all right, because.
Speaker 2: Kay, Kathy, you're ready, it's my turn to say. We're going to play a game.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, moral quandary.
Speaker 2: No, we're going to play would you rather so we'll switch?
Speaker 1: I'd rather play questrants and we will both give our thoughts. I'll start us off.
Speaker 2: Okay. Would you rather win a lifetime supply of skin care products or high end shoes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Susan, I want you to guess, and I'll guess yours. I what do you think? I would rather have skincare? Yes? And you would rather have the shoes.
Speaker 2: I want both?
Speaker 1: Oh well, here she is back with both? All right? Would you rather be able to instantly do your makeup perfectly or have perfect hair every day?
Speaker 2: Instantly being able to do my makeup.
Speaker 1: Perfect that's because you have perfect hair. I want bear and makeup. I want no but your own hair. I'm talking about it. Listen, guys, I visited Susan where I'm literally with the round brush blowing my hair like you can. You can, you could read the Bible from front to back By the time I get my hair dry. Susan's like just ten seconds. I just need the hair and not She's not kidding in her hair is dry and looks perfect.
Speaker 2: Okay, I Did you rather have a time machine for one night or a chance to redo one day in your past?
Speaker 1: Oh? What do you? What do you want?
Speaker 2: I want to redo one day in my past?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna tell me what day? No?
Speaker 2: I am not.
Speaker 1: I'll get you later. You know what, I don't really have a preparation.
Speaker 2: You want to go forward or backward?
Speaker 1: I don't. Oh, I don't want to ever go forward.
Speaker 2: I like to see element of surprise.
Speaker 1: All right? Would you rather be known? Oh God, wait a minute, you're gonna you are going to laugh at my answer? Would And gentlemen, this is like so unbelievably a question for not me? Well, all right? Would you rather be known for your cooking skill? And you cannot say both? Would you rather be known for your cooking skills or your party hosting skills? Susan, you said, I can't say both, so I'm not so pick one. I'm already known for my cooking skills and my party skills, so you know what I don't I have to answer cooking. You know what I'm what the party? I am a party?
Speaker 2: You don't cook.
Speaker 1: I'm known for my party because, you know what I learned a long time ago, make everyone feel when they come in like the parties not complete until you're there. So I'm so glad you made it.
Speaker 2: I don't think that was a good question for us. Okay, would you rather give up wine or cheese forever? How dare they?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'd rather give up cheese. I have high cholesterol? What wine?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm a cheeze girl.
Speaker 1: I can't you give up?
Speaker 2: I'm going to be punished. I'm failing this test again.
Speaker 1: Alla, right, you know what. We could go on and on, but unfortunately our time has come to an end here, I did I know? Okay?
Speaker 2: One more, just one quick one? Okay?
Speaker 1: Can you pick it?
Speaker 2: Okay, while you're on your first date, would you rather accidentally spill your drink on your date or have the waiter accident in your lap?
Speaker 1: What's your answer? You wanted this question? What's your answer?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I would like the waiter to spill my dinner in my lap, so.
Speaker 1: Would I know? And I'd get a clear, a full lipethan out of it. And I'd love to see what my date did to make me feel better.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I know we have to go. I'm so sorry. But would you rather accidentally text your ex?
Speaker 1: Boss? Oh?
Speaker 2: Your ex or your boss after a few glasses of wine? Which would you rather?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't work anymore. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Okay, well that doesn't episode?
Speaker 1: Yeah really okay, Well, Susan would like to play this game all day. I can't get her to do moral quandary for thirty seconds, but she played would you rather forever? Anyway? This was a great episode. We had so much fun on Bachelor Happy Hours Golden Hour today and we're so glad you all joined us.
Speaker 2: Yes, and keep those questions coming back, they were really good ones. You know how to do it right Bachelor Nation, dot home, slash Golden Hour, or hit us up at social at Bachelor Happy Hour. Listen to Hours Golden Golden Hour on the on the I Heart Radio.
Speaker 1: Say it with me, Cat, I'm trying to work. I always have any care have a great week.