Speaker 1: Welcome into lounge. I'm Ryan Mink here with Garrett Downing, and we are going to talk about who has improved their stock during Ravens' training camp so far. Of course, it's still early. We haven't even gotten to the first preseason game, which will kick off Saturday at Mt. Banks Stadium, but we've seen about almost two weeks of practice now. The pads have come on this past week. There's been some high intensity practices as this team gets prepared for that preseason opener. And Garrett, we'll start with a player that I think is generating maybe the most buzz of anyone at Ravens training camp, and that's rookie wide receiver Jacoby Lane.
Speaker 2: You can't go anywhere in Baltimore right now without somebody stopping and asking, how's Jacoby Lane looking?
Speaker 3: Is he really as good as advertise?
Speaker 2: Is the hype reel all this stuff, and my feeling on it is that the excitement around him, based on what I've seen in practice is justified. He has been better than advertised. He's making seemingly a play a day. And the if you were to just stack up, if you power ranked, give me the ten best plays of camp. Jacobe lane probably has like eight of them, and so he's delivering like these highlight reel plays.
Speaker 3: He's doing it with consistency.
Speaker 2: And he's doing it against the first team defense in many occasions on many occasions, and he's put himself in a position where I think he's going to be a starter or like a one to a starter this year, depending on what the packages are that they want to run on offense, but in three receiver sets, like, I think he has done enough to show that he is going to be in that top three receiver group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's not quite decided yet. I think Devantees Walker is still going to fit a lot of runtime. I think Zay Flowers and bait Rashad Bateman obviously are gonna see a lot of action. It's too early for me to say, oh, I'm gonna squarely put him ahead of Devonte's well in this pecking.
Speaker 2: Order here, I guess I would says he's done a better way to put it rather than a starter piece. He has done enough to show that he is going to have a role on offense this year. He is absolutely going to have a roll on off.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I think I feel comfortable saying it's going to be a bigger role than I envisioned even two weeks ago before training camp began. He's been a quick study and he is an extremely talented player that you know. We've seen the highlights from his college tape of making these highlight real catches and you're like, well, can you do that in the NFL. Well, he's done it in practice, at least practice is different from a game. But he's done it against some pretty darn good corners, including Marlon Humphrey, right, And so he definitely has momentum. I think that is real. The talent is real. He has a lot more to momentum to build and a lot more to improve on to become a guy who consistently makes plays like that in NFL games. But gosh, you can't love. You can't not love what you're seeing so far from him, and I think that he is proving that the sky He has sky high potential.
Speaker 2: What I like is that it's not just like a one trick pony in that like, oh man, he's got great speed and he's just getting behind everybody or while he can go up and make contested catches, Like to me, he's running a complete route tree. He's making plays on deep balls, he's making plays on short routes.
Speaker 3: He's made some of these.
Speaker 2: Highlight reel catches. Like it's the collection that really has stood.
Speaker 3: Out to me.
Speaker 2: And the Ravens talked, Zay Flowers talked about this for Sean Bateman talked about it is how they're using receivers. They're moving them around a little bit. It's not just so defined as you're the outside receiver, you're the slot receiver.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Movement and Jacobe Lane seems to be comfortable in all the different ways that he's being deployed. He doesn't seem like he's out there trying to figure out what he's doing. Like that's the thing you worry about as a rookie, like do you know what you're doing? He knows what he's doing and that's allowed him to play fast, to make those plays.
Speaker 1: Decklan Doyle did say that Jacoby came up to him after one of the practices last week and said, hey, you know, I know what I screwed up on, you know. And so it's not like he's he's making not making any mistakes yet He's a rookie, right, and this is a very detail oriented offense. But the fact that he's learning from those mistakes, that he's recognizing those mistakes immediately, that's already a good sign. I think what stood out to me are some little things about him that I'm impressed with. And I'll specifically reference Sunday's practice that I was here for, and one was his first catch up practice was like a fifteen to twenty yard er working against Marlon Humphrey. Tight coverage by Marlon, and I really liked that Jacoby worked back for the ball. He could sense that Marlon was in his hip pocket and he came back to the quarterback to make that catch. If he didn't do that, I think Marlon probably breaks up that pass from reaches around and breaks up that pass. And that's kind of just a savvy, almost veteran thing. You see that all the time on NFL broadcast when you're watching his Oh man, look at him. He knows how to work right for the ball, like this is a rookie doing that. And I was like, oh, nice heads up play there. The other one blocking on the perimeter. It was an outside Derrick Henry run and Jacoby's blocking on the perimeter against the corner. That really allowed Derek Henry to get more yardage out of that that run that he maybe otherwise would have. That's gonna get him on the field more too. Coaches going like that, Coaches love that. And we've seen his willingness to block. We saw him blocking Zyeon Young, throwing his nose in there and getting after a big outside linebacker, and so little things like that are what encouraged me that to your earlier point, that it's not a one trick pony kind of situation, that he is becoming this complete receiver and it's not just oh he's a situational guy. We're gonna use him in red zone packages. We're gonna use him, you know, in go balls down the sideline to draw pis and make some big contested catches. I think that that's kind of all When you saw his college stats and he led the nation in touchdowns two years ago, Elija Thrat did it last season, then you're like, well, these guys are red zone threats, they're gonna be situational players. I think Jacobe Lane is already proving that he's more than that. He could be more than that, even as a rookie. Yeah, and so I think that's what gives me a lot of encouragement about him. I'll also say, like, it's not just buzz from media members. Yeah, that's not just gonna say yeah Jameson Hensley. I mean he tweeted that he hasn't seen a rookie have a training camp like this in all of his years covering the Ravens. That's from a veteran reporter. You've seen a lot of training camps.
Speaker 3: Yeah right.
Speaker 1: For him to say that means something. But it's not just the reporters, it's coaches, Declan Doyle comparing him to his hands to Michael Thomas. Ye right, one of the great receivers in his generation who got off to a crazy fast start in his career, then four straight thousand yard seasons to begin his career. Yeah right, Like, and coaches are usually pretty wary of really hyping a rookie, right, it's usually the all right, pumped the brakes, everybody, I know, it's training game. We're all exciting, pump the brakes. The kid's got a lot of letc Like Deckam Doyle thrown out there that says something, Right, it's former greats like Mike Thomas, you know, like like these other great players who keep looking at Jacoby and being like, yeah, this kid's something, He's going to be something like it's teammates, you know. Elijah Surratt said, it's like he's effortlessly good, you know what I mean. That doesn't mean Jacoby Lane's not putting an effort. He is, but like he just makes it. He makes plays that way, he.
Speaker 2: Makes a look at for this, I look at like the what his teammates, That's what I stood out to me, teammates on both sides of the ball. We sat down with Marlon Humphrey on the podcast and he talked about how he's just been incredibly impressive. He joked like at one point it felt like he was standing on his back. He went up and caught the ball so high, standing on his shoulders. And Derek Henry has talked about how good he's looked. And then on the defensive side, Marlin has, Jalen Hawkins has, So it's like this consistent drumbeat of players who are praising everything he's doing. And there was a play with on Sunday where he made a nice catch along the sidelines and then him and Derek Henry kind of celebrate. Henry runs down the field to jump up and they celebrate together, like he's got buying from his teammates. And the other last point I'll make on Jacoby is jesse Minter talked about how he had a conversation with Lamar of like test him kind of in training camp, of see put it in some spots, see if you can go get it, See how we respond to an tested catches, Like this is what training camp is for. You want to see how guys can handle it. This is how you build chemistry. And so Lamar has thrown it up there at times and like let's see if you can go get it. Jacoby has been able to go get it. And I think that all of those things helped build the chemistry and the trust that Lamar is gonna have in him.
Speaker 3: And like we're.
Speaker 2: Seeing with Lamar, Yeah, if he trusts you, he's gonna keep throwing to you.
Speaker 1: Yep. I've seen Lamar's Sunday Lamar and Jacoby frequent conversations between the two of them. Lamar was really Zay Flowers didn't practice on Sunday, but a lot of you know, multiple conversations with Seoan Bateman and Jacoby Lane, you know, and and when you're when you're getting reps with the ones, when you have your star quarterback pulling you into the side and talk talking to you and giving you tips and you know, going back and forth about different routes and what he wants to see. All good things for a rookie third round pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, totally agree.
Speaker 2: So the hype train like has left the station on him, but I think it's warranted and I think that the next step for him will be how does he do in these preseason games. I think most Ravens fans when they come to the game and mp MT Bay Stadium on Saturday against the Eagles, or they turn on turn on the TV, they're gonna want to see Jacobe Lane. Like that's gonna be who they are most excited to watch in that game.
Speaker 1: Dude, it was wild on Sunday, just on the sideline and kids are screaming Jacoby Jacob like, you know, you don't often see a third round rookie pick, like the kids are yelling for.
Speaker 3: Him getting the star treatment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's I mean, it's cool. And I asked the kids, I was like, is he one of your favorite players he's there. Yeah, of course we see the highlights.
Speaker 2: If he can keep this up, he is he is definitely going to be a star. And I think that in Baltimore and around the league, and he is.
Speaker 3: Certainly comfortable in that environment.
Speaker 1: His personality lends himself the social media presence all that makes him like even a young fans favorite player, right, He just connects really well with young fans in particular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree. So, uh, good start to him. So I think we would agree he's the first guy in the notebook.
Speaker 3: When you're talking about stock up. Who else has stood out to you?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with Tyler Loop the kicker. Second year kickers has been really good over the weekend, made every one of his live field goal attempts. He had multiple fifty plus yarders in practice. Sunday. The offense kind of stalled. It had an uneven practice, I would say on Sunday in part because of some you know, it was false start penalties. They had some penalty issues. You just more yellow flags than you'd like to see, which back then put them in kind of negative scripts down in distance wise. And so Tyler Loop was the got a lot of opportunities. That was the byproduct, and he made the most of them. So that's what you want to see, of course with Tyler Loop because of how last season ended. Really you're waiting for clutch, high pressure situations. That's where he's going to prove that he's beyond that. And we all know he's a talented kicker, he's a really good kicker. Until we get those situations, and I think everybody's going to kind of hold their breath a little bit. But all you can do is make the kicks that you're given in training camp, and for the most part, that's what Tyler Loop has done.
Speaker 2: And the Raves have tried to simulate those situations end of practice, fifty push ups on the line, that type of stuff. And I'm not going to sit here and say that's the same type of pressure as you feel at the end of the season in Pittsburgh with the season.
Speaker 3: On them, But like, the best you can do is what you can do in this environment.
Speaker 2: And so I think I agree that the test for him is going to be how you do once you're back in that game situation, how you respond late game situation, all of that, and you're not going to know that until you know it. And I think that all the early indications on him in training camp have been positive, which is all you can hope for at the time of the year.
Speaker 1: Yep. All right. Next player I'm going to point to is safety Jalen Hawkins, And you know he's been in the middle of some collisions here, one with with Zay Flowers that sent him off early earlier with a quad confusion for Jay Flowers, and then another one with Rashad Bateman in Sunday's practice where I mean he it was a pretty big hit over the middle when Rashaw went up to make that play. Now, you want to go up and you want to protect your players, and I don't think Jalen Hawkins. I know Jalen and Hawkins isn't going out there trying to hurt guys, you know, obviously, But I do think that you see that this dude's gonna hit, and I think he's gonna be a force on the back end of this defense. And Jesse Minner was asked like, do you have to have a conversation with Jalen about some of these hits, and he said, like he doesn't want to put that on Jalen like even in practice, of course you're trying to take care of your teammates, but it's bang bang, And like he likes that Hawkins is there to make up play and when in games situations he would be leveling some dudes. And so I like that from Jalen Hawkins. And you know, we've seen Kyle Hoilton is a very physical player who just we've seen him destruct blocks near the line of scrimmage unlike any other safety in the league, to make tackles for loss and just create disruption on the back end of the defense, kind of that roving hitting safety. Because we don't see Kyle Hoilton in that role, or we haven't at least I think he might do more of it. But Jalen Hawkins I think could bring some more of that.
Speaker 2: He's around the ball a lot, he plays physical. I think we all knew when the Ravens drafted him about the production he had from a takeaway standpoint led the Patriots last year. Like we've said that line like a hundred times and whenever talking about Jalen Hawkins. But I don't think I fully appreciated or was totally aware of just how physical he could be.
Speaker 3: Yep, And I've seen that at practice.
Speaker 2: You want to to the point like you don't like seeing him in Zay Flowers collide. That makes your your stomach drop a little bit when you see that. Once you get into the season and you're delivering some of those hits against you know, posing teams, I like that a lot. But I think that he plays with the style, he has the knack for the football. He's around the ball. I want safeties that are around the ball a lot, and that's what he is, ye. And so I've been impressed with him, and I think he's going to be a really important piece. Like him, is there there's no better safety trio in the league right than Kyle Hamilton, Malachi Starks in Jalen Hawkins.
Speaker 1: Like tough tough to find one better.
Speaker 2: One, ye then that especially when you have Kyle, who I think we both agree is probably the best safety in football. And Malachi is also a guy that we could probably put on the list of who's look good in camp so far stock up, everybody's talking about how he could be one of the best safeties in the game. So those three, I think are going to be a strength of this team. And if the Ravens defense is going to be as good as we think it is. They will be a strength of the team, and Jalen Hawkins is going to be a big reason why.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely agree. Let's stick with safety, and I'm gonna go with KeAndre Jackson.
Speaker 3: Oh, let's get another one. I'm talking to the other three.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the deaths. Let's talk about the fourth.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And KeAndre I think that all of us thought he could he could be really a special team standout if he continued the momentum that he built during his rookie season and really kind of take over a leading role on the special teams units, which he certainly can. But I've been really impressed with what he's done defensively. I mean multiple interceptions. Now, he got one off snoopunt Lee during Sunday's practice. Just I mean it was a pretty quick throw, it got out pretty fast, and Kandra Jackson just broke on the ball immediately and undercut the receiver to make the pick. And so you talk about getting interceptions, making plays, does anybody have more than Kandre Jackson to this point in training camp, I'm not so sure. And so to me that you know, you have to have depth. We talked about that the Ravens are going to use a lot of three safety looks. Well, knock on wood, if if anybody were to go down for any amount of time, if KeAndre Jackson's out there making plays, you don't have to really change what you're doing defensively. Plug him in. He's the next guy up right, and you don't have to tweak what you want to do game plan wise with a heavy three safety rotation. I think that Kandre Jackson is proving yeah, he's he you can rely on him if called up.
Speaker 2: Also, similar to how we talked about Jalen Hawkins. From a physical standpoint, that's one of the strengths of Candre Jackson's game, Like he just he does not shy away from contact. I think he seeks it out and he plays with this like relentless motor. And that's what I think caught the coach's attention last year's Like, man, this guy just plays hard. He's around the ball like there's no quit in him. And that's what coaches, especially like from a special teams player, undrafted rookie, like how do you find your way onto the field, Just have like this relentless motor be around the ball and like no quit attitude, and that's what he brings, and so I think that he would have that same mentality. He definitely would have that same mentality if he gets called into a bigger role on offense. And I like him as like, I just think he brings energy. That's the thing about when I think of Candre Jackson, I think of like a big, physical safety that brings energy, yep. And I like guys that you want guys to embody that. And I've been impressed with him all the way through. I don't know, Like I always just in my head envision perfect health for everybody any across over the course of the year. So like, I don't know what the role will be for him on defense. I kind of hope that it's not that significant just because the guys who are ahead of him continue to stay healthy and play as well as we just talked about. But if he does need to play, if he does need to step into the lineup on defense, I think he's ready. And then from a special team standpoint, I think he's gonna be one of the best special teamers on the team. And like you look at the you look at the Ravens history, They've always had a guy or two who's like the leader of the special teams unit. Anthony Levine is a perfect example. Now he's the coordinator of the group, and so like, who's gonna be that special team's leader. I think he Andre Jackson could step into that role this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally agree. I'm keeping in the secondary. I'm gonna stick with a cornerback this time, which one Okay TJ Tampa. DJ has just quietly just had another really strong offseason. I thought he was one of the Ravens better training camp players last year and then just saw he saw defensive action certainly more last year than he did as a rookie. But the way he's playing in training camp this year, I think that he could work into a significant role in that rotation. I mean, obviously Nate Wiggins is a guy, Marlin's the other starter, and then you have cheetoh Ouzie, who again is another starter. But Jesse Minter with the Chargers rotated his corners, I think at a higher rate than what we've seen here in Baltimore, where sometimes your corners are playing you know, oftentimes they're playing one hundred percent or close to it of the snaps. Now, they did have a little bit of a rotation last year with Cheeto getting action in there, but I think that there could be an even heavier kind of four man rotation. Nate Wiggins is going to play a lot, but a heavier four man rotation with the way that TJ. Tampa's playing.
Speaker 2: Tampa has is he's playing well enough to show that they should consider that for man rotation. Like it's like, Okay, this is a guy you might want to get on the field more than you intentionally anticipated. So he had to punch out one day in practice. Like again, I think the takeaway piece is going to be so important for this defense this year.
Speaker 3: If they're going to.
Speaker 2: Take a step they needed, they need to force more takeaways. And he did that on a play against Rashena a Lee last week. Just perfect punch out. And so those are the types of plays that you like to see. I was I thought you might say Nate Wagans when you were talking about players who have stood out. I think Nate's had a good camp. I think there's been some good battles. We talked about Jacobe. There's been some times that they've been matched up against each other. But I think that Nate Wiggans overall has had a good camp. Come up with the pick, survived contact from Jalen Hawkins one day in practice. Actually, those two guys collide and Nate came up with an interception and he had a he had He's had multiple pass breakups over the course of practice. I think he's been sticky in coverage. He's talked about being healthy moving back. Seems like he's moving really fluidly this year. So I think that he's just in store for a big season, and I've seen that so far in camp.
Speaker 1: All Right, here's the name for you. You're gonna like this one. Adam Randall, the rookie running back. You've kind of you've been on the Randall bandwagon from the start on board here. I've been impressed as pads have come on. He's been a player that has stood out to me. And that's what you would expect with a guy of his size. I mean, you're talking about sixty three, two hundred and forty pound running back. Dude. This guy just runs hard. Yeah, man, I mean it's it's impressive. He reminds me a little bit of Gus Edwards. Yeah, I think it's a good one cut runner, get your foot in the ground, getting north south. Big dude, he's gonna run through arm tackles. One play on Sunday, I mean he was stopped in the backfield by a defensive lineman, kind of shook that off, came around the corner for a ten to fifteen yard gain, and I just think that he's a player that wants the pads have come on. You see and see Meencer talked about this, you know, you're like when you're in thud, which is basically like you kind of give the guy a bump.
Speaker 3: Basically to step up from two hand touch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, to say, like you you're tackled, when you're in thud, you blow it a play dead, you know when they get bumped. Well, when it's live tackling and a player gets bumped and he doesn't get down, to're like, oh okay, that he wouldn't. He would have been down on that thud actually, And Adam Randall's showing it's gonna take more than a thud to tackle me. And so I've been impressed with the rookie running back.
Speaker 3: Well. We talked about how TJ.
Speaker 2: Tampa has played well enough that may give the coaches something to think about. You do you find ways to work him into the rotation. I think that's true of Adam Randall. I think that he's done enough, and I do think the preseason is going to be important for him.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be really exciting because he's probably gonna get a lot of runtime. I mean a lot of runtime. You've seen Derrick Henry I was I would not much, if at all, of Derrick Henry in the preseason. Justice Hill has proven everything he needs to prove in his career to this point, right.
Speaker 2: I think for those two guys, I don't know how much you I mean, certainly Henry even Hill, I don't know how much you need to see of him in the preseason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Adam Randall here is a converted wide receiver to running back. He really a one year running back at Clemson who is now coming into Baltimore looking to establish himself. You give him a lot of snaps and you say, basically, you're in the lead back role. Let's see what Let's see how you handle this. I'm excited to watch Adam Randall this preseason.
Speaker 2: Every step of the process. For me, he has stood out. I thought he looked really good at rookie minie camp. I thought he looked good in OTA's I think he's just continued to look good over the course of training camp pads on pass off like he just stood out to me. He runs hard when he gets the ball in his hands, like he runs with intent, and he also catches the ball well again converted wide receiver. So like, I think there's gonna be plays and packages where he has I mean, look, there's a lot of mouths of feet on offense, So I don't think that Decklan Doyle is gonna spend like too much time like then we dial up a whole package for Adam Randall. But I think that when he's in the game, he can catch the ball out of the backfield and then turn up field and get pick up ten yards.
Speaker 3: He has that ability, and.
Speaker 2: He can also run between the tackles like he's not just a swing pass guy that can make things happen when he gets the ball out in space like he can run between the tackles. He has that size and hard running ability. So he has shown enough to me that you think about could he take more snaps from Justice Hill if he's looking as good as he has in camp, Like, could he force the coaches to say, let's just get him on the field more, especially as you think about the long season, like Derek of course and Justice, like they're veteran running backs. You want to keep these guys fresh all throughout the year, and so you have a rookie running back that is showing real potential and ability there. I think that he's going to find his way onto the field. And then the other factor too is the Ravens have to decide do they keep three or four running backs. Rashina Lee is the other one who they have to see on the team. Is the office say, are what kind of role does he have on this offense. That's something that they're going to evaluate over the course of these preseason games. I think Rashin Alise also a really good special teams player, so I think that he's going to definitely bring something in that regard. Maybe this is maybe it's a starting kick returner. But yeah, Adam Raynald to me, has been a stand out since the time he got here, and I think that he may be a diamond in the rough find for the Ravens in this draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I agree, let's go to the offensive line. How about Danny Pinner at center. I mean, I think that when Ethan Postik was signed, a lot of people pointed to it and said, all right, the Ravens answered the center question, here's a long time starting center to plug in there. You know it's done. And Jesse Minner came on this very podcast and said, hey, it's still a competition, you know, And and they the Ravens were impressed with Danny Pincer and Javon Gwinn and these guys that they had already in house, and Postik was another piece in that competition. And I think that we've still seen Pincer get a lot of runtime with the first team offense. Posik now he could still very well win the job and be the starting center week one. Keep in mind he's working his way back from an achilles into a serious Achilles injury, and so you know he's gonna need time to knock off the rust and get up to speed as well as just with the offense, right, learning the offense and whatnot. But I do think the fact that Danny Pinter is still very much in that competition is a check mark in his favor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's early, and there's still there's you know, we're just over a month out from week one yep, wow, like almost there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I felt this was before.
Speaker 2: I mean, we had a conversation before training camp and the question was is the starting center on the team or not? This was before the Ravens signed Ethan Posick, and I said yes, I felt like the starting center was on the team because I felt like Danny Pinter was gonna win that job. I still feel like the starting center for week one is going to be Danny Pinter.
Speaker 3: Like, again, there's a.
Speaker 2: Lot of football left, but I think that he's looked really good and I've been impressed and so it would not surprise me at all if we go into week one and he ends up being.
Speaker 3: The starter for this team.
Speaker 2: Again, part of it is Post Sick coming back from the injury and how does he feel after practice every day and kind of gets his legs back under him. And I still think that Post Sick, like, I still think it's a really good signing and I think that he could end up being the starter this year. But I just have been impressed with Danny Pinter. This has less to do about Post sick and more to do with Pinter in my mind, as a guy that like has been looking for an opportunity. He has a chance to win the job now, and I think that he's done a really good job up until this point. All Right, So let's take a quick break. When we come back, we'll talk about some of the other news of the week as well as what the Ravens want to see over the course of this week of practice leave leading into their first preseason game against the Eagles. Listening to the Lounge podcast, We're coming to you from the Seat Geek Studio. So the big news from practice over the weekend was was the injury scare. We touched on it early on Zay Flowers goes down least Saturday practice early after a collision with Jalen Hawkins. Jesse Miner said it was a quad contusion, kind of a SyRI leaf there. Look, whenever you see a player of lead practice early, not good. When it's your number one wide receiver fresh off of one hundred plus million dollar contract, it's really not good. And so I think that's kind of a dodge bullet situation. It sounds like wasay and you know, deep exhale when you get that update from Jesse Menzer.
Speaker 1: And jesse Minner said he expects him to be back very soon. It could be the next day or two or maybe three. But that nothing to be worried about with Zay Flowers.
Speaker 2: The good news there, Yeah, I mean that's just again you see him leave and you get concerned immediately when he's limping off the field, and so to find that that's a minor situation is really good news news, and like it's to be honestly, you don't want to have these reminders, but it is kind of a reminder.
Speaker 3: There's this thin line.
Speaker 2: Of like like getting the most out of practice and also protecting each other and pulling back at the right time. Like it's all kind of a puzzle, and so it's you don't want to like you want to get better in practice, but you also need to protect each other. And jesse Mitzer touched on that, but you just don't want to see your star players limping off the field right.
Speaker 1: Another piece of news from this weekend's practices is the defensive line, which we've seen it's been shorthanded for really almost the entire summer. Obviously, nom thee Mattabkas back on the practice field, but he's still doing individual drills. You have to be encouraged that, you know, there's been progress. At least he's on the field right and so so that's good. Kalais Campbell is now participating in some eleven on eleven action in Sunday's practice. John Jenkins, another veteran, has returned to eleven on eleven action and come off the pup list. So two big additions there. The next piece of the puzzle will be Travis Jones and him coming off the pup list. That is one that I think is going to come over the next couple of days. Jesse Minner said, was encouraged that it's going to be very very soon for him and and so that's a you know, Travis Jones is a player they gave a big contract to contract extension to at the end of last season, a player that really has the potential to be one of the strongest defensive tackles in the league, and he reportedly suffered a pectoral you know injury, and so getting him back on the field, then that would allow you to kind of see the picture coming into shape for this defensive line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the big question here, of course, is still an omnibat of BK and it's to your point, it's been good to see him just stay out on the field. He's been on the fract field every day and so that's been really encouraging. But you want to see how he does he is he able to do eleven on eleven work and just continue to ramp up and so what does that ramp up look like? Have not heard from him yet either, So at some point, you know, does he talk with the media and kind of give an update in his words? That's the Ravens have said that really since this injury happened almost a year ago. Now Mattabik will speak to it, you know, when he's ready, and so whenever that time comes, that will be something that everyone's interested to hear. But if this defense has this defensive line at full strength, then like look out, like I think it's I talked about how the secondary and the safeties could be the strength. Well up front with Kalais Madebike and Travis Jones, it feels like a pretty good strength too, if those guys are all healthy and playing at the level that they're capable of. So I think as you get again we're about a month out from the season. You want to see things kind of round into form between now and then. You want to see, like, Okay, how healthy are we gonna be? What's this group gonna look like? And and fingers crossed that everything continues moving in the right direction with that group as a whole, it'll.
Speaker 1: Be really important because the interior defensive lineman in this defense, there's gonna be a lot of stress put on them to hold up against the run because you're playing with a lot of defensive backs and so when you're playing a little bit lighter upfront, potentially you're relying on those defensive linemen to shut down the run. And and the Ravens. I think that's part of why they wanted these veterans. These these are guys who know how to stop the run. These aren't projects, and and seeing them get back on the field makes me more encouraged that they're gonna be really strong against the run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like Kalaias Campbell is about as defined as you're gonna as you're gonna get like the most non projects you're gonna find, and like and and and same goes for like the rest of the guys too. Like that defensive front they are, Like if they're again healthy, playing at the level that they're capable of, you know what you're getting there, and it's like a top flight defensive line.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And I think last year the absence of Nomne Mattabique hurt this team more than people realized. Took him a while to figure that out and probably never really fully adjusted to his absence last year and all that he meant. And so again, if he's able to play, if Kalais and Travis Jones were able to be at the level that we've seen from them, then like that's gonna.
Speaker 1: Be I think Travis Jones, you think another level, another level. I mean, he led the team with five sacks. He led the team in sacks last year, Yeah, five of them, and he was he was banged up for a decent portion of the season.
Speaker 3: And getting sacks is not his specialty.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, but he had career highs and tackles, sacks, tackles for loss, quarterback heads across the board, a career highs And I still think there's another level to his game.
Speaker 2: And you're gonna add you've added pieces on the edge name Trey Hendrickson, yeah, exactly, So like that's gonna and let's just say Matabik is able to play, like there's just less pressure on Travis Shoan. So like I mean, could what's that five sacks become this year?
Speaker 3: Could that be eight?
Speaker 1: Right? Possible?
Speaker 3: I think it's possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, So a lot of encouraging things from Ravens training camp as the team gets healthier and we see more of these players on the field. As you mentioned, it's going to be another interesting week of practice as the team ramps up for the preseason game. Hoping to get Skylar Thompson. He's one player dealing with a little bit of an issue that didn't practice Sunday. Jesse Miner said it. They're hoping to get him ready for Saturday's preseason game. A lot to look forward to this week, and you have one more thing that yeah, well, just in terms of the game on Saturday, we are really excited because for the first game of the season, even it's preseason, anytime the stadium's back open again, super excited about that.
Speaker 2: Also going to be an opportunity for fans to come in and check out the new spaces at the stadium, the new North Plaza, We're gonna have more on that over the course of this week, so it'll be a chance to show fans the talent and these new areas on that north plaza, which has been a multi year renovation project that has been underway at Mt.
Speaker 3: Bak Stadium. This is kind of the crowning achievement of it.
Speaker 2: This is something that every fan is gonna be able to experience, and we've got a sneak peek of it. That area is awesome on the north side, right there at the end of Raven's Walk as you're coming into the stadium. Fans are gonna love it, and so we can't wait to show that off in this game. And again we got more coming on that later this week, so stay tuned. As always, you can email us at the lounge at ravenst NFL dot net. Thank you so much for listening, and we will be back with you again soon