Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Thursday, Dan and The Dana's Dan Patrick Show. Mike Breen was on the call with the Cavaliers and the Thunder last night. He'll join us coming up in a couple of minutes. Greg McElroy, former Alabama quarterback, won a national title. He'll be on the call for the Mothership with Notre Dame versus Penn State. Notre Dame favored by one and a half. It's been that round one, one and a half.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 2: Ohio State six, five and a half, six and a half against Texas. That'll be tomorrow. Chris Faller will be on the call for that game. He'll join us coming up on the program tomorrow. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. The Tour's new season continues in Hawaii a Decie Matsuyama leading a stacked field the Wilei Country Club, The Sony Open Saturday and Sunday on NBC and Peacock Wilei Country Club. That always brings back memory. I was out there for a Sandler movie, the movie Just Go with It, and I was there with Brooklyn Decker, Nicole Kitman, Jennifer Aniston, and I was a night club owner. And the night before I'm going to shoot my scene, Nick Schwartzen, Schwarty stand up comedian, says let's go out. Let's go drinking. And I said no. I said, look, you're double A and I'm a Hall of Famer. We're not going to do this. And he said no, let's go. I said, okay. Now, Adam Sandler has one rule, and that one rule is to make sure you don't end up in the newspaper, don't get arrested. So we go out and we went to Tommy Bahamas. They had a store and a bar, and we get there and we're doing mind Erasers. Well I'm not a mind eraser guy, but we started doing some mind Erasers and a couple other beverages. And I say good night to Nick Schwartzen because I have to shoot the next day. Next day, can't find Nick Schwartzen, He's supposed to be in a movie. Can't find him in the morning, can't find him in the afternoon. Late in the afternoon, I'm shooting my scene. He comes in. He has sand all over his hair and he had actually fallen asleep in one of the sand traps on the Whyline golf course. He lost his phone, but he as he said, I didn't make it in the newspaper. I didn't get arrested. But he was like fifty feet from his hotel. He just took a right instead of a left and ended up in a sand trap. Yes, Pauling, imagine.
Speaker 4: You're the greenskeeper. You're you show up, let's say Schwartz and left. He got back, but you go to the green, you go to the you're to break up the bunkers, and there's an outline of a body in the bunker.
Speaker 2: I'm going to guess that's happened before, by the way, But yeah, Nick Schwartzen Wilei Country Club. Great memories there. Mike Breen ESPN, ABC, NBA play by play commentator on the call last night Cleveland against Oklahoma City. Did it feel like a finals preview to you?
Speaker 5: It did a long way to go, and there's a lot of teams that will have to say about that. But the buzz in the place, it just was different. I had to keep reminding myself it's January eighth, so easy does it? But it had a spectacular feel. You could tell the players were so fired up and so into it. You know, they're all trying to say it's a regular game, but it wasn't. They knew it, The crowd knew it. It was. It was really wonderful for a game on January eighth.
Speaker 2: When you do a show, when you if it's on the Mothership or radio show, whatever you like, to play the hits and the Cavaliers aren't playing the hits. But they've gotten to that point, Mike, They're thirty two and four. You can't ignore the topic. This is one of the great starts in the history of the NBA. Do you get that? And so people are really struggling to grab a hold of this. Certainly Cleveland, Oklahoma City, we expect them to be maybe there in the finals. Cleveland, they've been a really good team, but they just haven't been, you know, in the headlines because Lebron's gone.
Speaker 5: Couldn't agree more. It's like I even said in our open I repeated the record to Richard Jefferson, not because he didn't he didn't know it. Obviously he knew it, but it just sounds crazy to say that the Cleveland Cabs are thirty two and four, and they're that good. They're really that good. And I think the fact that the betting line now still has the Boston Celtics the clear favorite to come out of the East, despite the fact that the Caves are doing this, and it's you know, it's a credit to the whole organization from Kobe Altman who made the roster, the patience to keep the roster and not make you know, sudden changes because they lost in the first round two years ago and got beaten pretty bad in the second round last year, although it was injuries. They just they play such fun basketball to watch because they play team basketball.
Speaker 2: I have a bet here with Marvin and uh I think there'll be two Cavaliers name to the All Star team. He says four.
Speaker 5: Won't be four. I think three is a really good bet. I think Mitchell Mobley and and Darius Garland. Although Jared Allen in the last couple of weeks he's played as well as any of them, so it's it's gonna be interesting. It'll be interesting to see. I think four is a lot because you know, you know, Boston has definitely two. New York has definitely two. Although there was a couple of normal guys that get on that aren't going to make it, so I wouldn't count it out. They certainly deserve it. It's you know, like you said, it's it's one of the greatest of any era, of any team, of any franchise. It's one of the greatest starts that the league has ever seen.
Speaker 2: If you were going to describe Shay Gilgis Alexander to somebody who hadn't seen him play, how would you do it?
Speaker 5: A magical control of his body and no matter where he goes, no matter what he does, an incredible poise where nobody can speed him up and nobody can really stop him kill her instinct. And even though you know he's averaged so many points, he is such a team first guy. Everything about him he's he's it's hard to do it in just a quick sentence. He's got this supreme confidence but at the same time humility. He's just he's a perfect guy to kind of take over the throne of of of the superstars now with some of the some of our greats aging. Everything about him is is just wonderful from a from a league standpoint, in terms of being the guy that you know, could lead the next generation.
Speaker 2: I kind of see some Kawhi Leonard comps with him, because Kawhi had an ability when he was healthy to control the tempo of a game. Not necessarily a three point shooter, but had that ability to if he wanted to take you inside or that mid range jumper. And you know, maybe similar size. I don't know if Shae is a little bit taller, but do you see that comp Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I like that because neither one of them you would say, are fast. They're both athletic, but that's not what they rely everything on. They're both super smart, you know. I think that's a big part of it. Shay smiles a little bit more than Kawhi, but it's, you know what the two The other thing you could say about the two of them, and this is something Munch He could play in any era. He could have played in the sixty his game because he kind of incorporates every everything from from the way players scored sixty seventy, you know, the nineties. He can take the physical style of the nineties. You know, he's improved on his three point shooting of today's current game. He's one of those guys that he's just He's just a great basketball player that could play in any era.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Mike Breeney, you know, ESPN, ABC, NBA play by play commentator on the call last night, calves in the thunder. How often do you get somebody coming up to you and say, hey, Mike, can you give me a bang?
Speaker 5: You really want to know? When I go into an arenas, it's it's all the time, and i take it as a as a compliment, and I'm flattered, like you wouldn't believe that that people say that. But when they start the kids start shoving the phone in your face and they're yelling, say bangs. It's sometimes it gets a little much. But I'm again, I'm so flattered by it that this one word has been so good to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, but wait a minute, how do you do that when somebody says, hey, Mike, will you say bang? Do you just go bang?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: What? Sometimes? I just go bang? Well, sometimes I'll say that. I if it's after a game, I'll say I lost, I lost my boys.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: What constitutes or warrants a double bang?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 5: There's no formula. Yeah, it's it's strictly off the flow of the game. What's going on? And wow, is this this stumble of it? It really just comes out. I wish I had a better answer. I'm sorry, you know, I'm next time we're on, I'm going to come up with a better answer.
Speaker 2: I got to help you with your profile here. I mean, let's let's embrace it. Do we do we have a copyright? Do we got T shirt?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 6: Mike?
Speaker 5: First off, you've always been helpful, so I appreciate any additional help. I don't don't have copyright. I have I have a T shirt, but that's just one. I never thought of selling it. And you know, here's the interesting thing, And I don't know if you and I have discussed this. I'm not the first one to use it. And I didn't know this until later. Johnny Most used to say bang when he did Celtics radio back.
Speaker 6: In the day.
Speaker 2: You weren't aware of that.
Speaker 5: You just were not aware of it. And his son, his son, who was in the business, Jamie, his son, alerted me to it. And I think right after I found that out, I did bang in a Celtic game and I said, that's dedicated to the great Johnny Most. But you know, back in the day. We didn't if you weren't in that town, you didn't know or listen really to the radio voices of other teams. Now you could listen to the entire broadcasts of other teams no matter where you are. But I didn't know it at the time.
Speaker 2: I watched when Ba Yama, when Ben Yama the other night against Joker, and I said the following day, he's going to win an MVP before he's twenty five, if you don't now. I didn't have a great scoring night, but he's got like a he can shoot the three. You know, he's a force. At the other end. I'm trying to figure out what is going to be his weakness, like Yanna's is not a great shooter, you know, these guys have weaknesses. But Wemby looks pretty polished, Mike.
Speaker 5: He does everything really well. And I agree with you, in a matter of a year or two, he's going to be great at everything. I mean, there's certain things he's great at now. But he doesn't really have a weakness. You know, he's going to get stronger every year. He's improved on his perimeter game every year. But his is just his instincts, his feel for the game and his desire to keep working every single day to get better. When you talk to this Furst people that they they're pinching themselves because not only is this kid such an unbelievable talent, but his his makeup mentally and his desire to be the best who's ever played is just is off the charts. So I would not bet against you on that. Twenty five. Now, he's going to win multiple MVPs, that's for sure. I don't know by what age, but he's going to win multiple.
Speaker 2: If I said to you, you have to pick one of the two teams most likely to be in the finals of the two teams last night.
Speaker 1: Not going to do it.
Speaker 3: Not going to do it.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry. There's so much you know what The cool thing is, there's so much time left, and because this year there's a possibility of a number of players, like really good players, who are going to change teams by the trading deadline. That could absolutely swing who's the favorite. So that's what I find fascinating. So there might be a team that we're thinking they'll make the playoffs, but they won't do much. All of a sudden, they pick up one or two guys and now their favorites to get to the finals. So it's really hard to do that.
Speaker 2: Right now, who retires first, Lebron, Steph or KD.
Speaker 5: KD is going to keep playing for a long time. Steph is still loving and Lebron is still loving too. I think maybe Lebron because he's starting to drop hints. But then again, he also just said that he knows he could contribute until he's fifty, which he could. And that's the crazy thing, Like if he wanted to, he could be fifty years old and probably average fifteen six and four. I mean, he absolutely could do it.
Speaker 2: Could you ever see him rank higher than Jordan?
Speaker 5: I don't. Here's another cop out. Don't be mad at me, but I refuse to ranked players from different eras. It's just it's impossible. I mean, whether you want to talk about Russell or Chamberlain or Alcindor or Kobe or Lebron or Michael. I mean, it's hard to ever argue against Michael Jordan. But my favorite saying is comparison is the thief of joy, And to start comparing one to the other all of a sudden, to make your point, you're starting to criticize the other, And how do you criticize the other.
Speaker 2: I think I've used you. I've I've talked to you long enough. I can hear the voice. Maybe it's starting to waiver a little bit here?
Speaker 5: What's starting a waiver?
Speaker 2: It just sounds like you're kind of losing your voice. It's it's sound as like like, guys, I think we can all agree. It sounds like Breen's voice is going a little bit there. Yeah, it's a little yeah. You know, I'm not going to compare. I mean, you're not Doc Rivers because Doc Rivers sounds like this.
Speaker 6: You got to give me forty eight, guys, you got to give me forty eight.
Speaker 2: That's frizzy.
Speaker 5: I could tell. I could tell it was him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know Todd.
Speaker 5: Do you have any idea how important Todd was to my career? No? Well, when I worked on the imis in the morning show, my whole stick was getting getting quality sound bites to play off of and have fun. And he was the morning news and sports producer, and he was the one that would find the bites that he knew would work, and he knew I would like to try and work. He was I couldn't have done it without him. He was spectacular.
Speaker 2: Because I thought you were awesome with that when you had fun with these sound bikes. And now we're talking about Todd Fritz, right, yes, okay, all right, fair enough. Wow, I didn't know I'm a journalist, Todd. I got to ask these questions.
Speaker 6: So I started at w F with Breen in the gang.
Speaker 5: He was amazing, He was amazing him and another guy who did it was Craig Shamides. Those two guys were invaluable.
Speaker 2: Well that's great to know, and I know the voice is going so I don't know your next game, so I'm gonna let you rest that, but thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Speaker 6: Quite well.
Speaker 2: That's Mike Breen, play by play voice for the Mothership in ABC. He was on the call last night. Yeah, nobody wants to make a prediction, especially when you have to go to all these teams in these different cities. Wait a minute, you think the Calves could go further than Onklaombus here. All I know is my Rockets have the number two seed in the West right now, Okay, I told you at the beginning of the year. Now, Orlando's got a ton of injuries. But I thought Orlando in Houston. Were going to be big surprises. Yes, Marvin, Polo, Ben Carol, he's coming back this week. Yeah, I know what about the Wagners, ladies and gentlemen, the Wagners, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 7: Two things first, you know what. The Troit Pistons are a game over.
Speaker 2: I like that it's been a while.
Speaker 7: I like that Todd is dining out on that shout out by the way.
Speaker 6: Well, that felt nice. That was nice.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: How about you can you do the same thing for us that you did for Mike Grekon.
Speaker 6: Okay, I have to step on my game a little bit, all right.
Speaker 2: Greg McElroy will be on the call for tonight's game Notre Dame Penn State. He'll join us coming up next year, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 2: Going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something right.
Speaker 2: So check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 7: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: The Raiders are in search of their fifth head coach since twenty twenty, I think they're now paying three coaches to not coach the Raiders. So the Raiders are tied with the Texans and Panthers for most head coaches over that period and now with this opening, and I know Dion says he wants to stay at Colorado. He's got a real good recruiting class. But I've said all along, if he could go to the Raiders and he knew that Shador was going there, and then he could draft his son Shiloh as well, I wonder if that's something that Tom Brady is considering or would consider. He is Greg McElroy ESPN College football analyst. He'll be on the call ABC ESPN tonight. It's Penn State, Notre Dame. How about we start there, Dion in the NFL or staying at Colorado.
Speaker 3: Well, are you suggesting which way I would If I were giving Don some type of advice, which way would I go? I would probably stay at Colorado. You can write your ticket there.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: He's become musty television. The Alamo Bowl game that he lost by twenty thirty points was the highest rateed game outside of the College Football Playoff in the bowl season. He's appointment television for many And I think now with the support that they're getting from an nil standpoint, Dan, I think it's easier to win on a consistent level in college I think in the NFL, you can be the greatest thing in the world and then fired the next year. Yeah, college, you got a little bit more runway if you can have a positive impact on the kids.
Speaker 2: All Right, the point spread tonight is Notre Dame by one and a half. Let's say the game comes down to that kind of point spread. Paint the picture for the audience of you being the analyst tonight of how you think that would play out in the final seconds.
Speaker 3: Well, it would be phenomenal, you'd know, Sean McDonough. Something tells me we would have a voice crack, and we would have a lot of energy, and we would have one heck of a finish as long as a punter doesn't drop it and allow Jalen watch Jackson to return one to the house. That could elicit some stronger reaction. That would be two or three voice cracks potentially. But Dan, I don't know about you. You've been a college football fan for a long time and you've supported and helped promote our sport, and we're very grateful to you for that. But I think the college football Playoff, while we haven't had the most compelling matchups from a competitive standpoint, it's been captivating television, and I think if we could just get one that would go the distance. You look at the game between Arizona State and Texas, a game that went to overtime, multiple overtimes. That game had seventeen point three million viewers at noon or one o'clock Eastern time on New Year's Day, a window that had not performed well in the past gets an all time high because of how compelling that game was. And it was between two programs, one blue blood and one that's kind of an upstart in Arizona State, that would be magnificent. But I think if Notre Dame and Penn State, two of the most storied programs, two of the top programs in the history of college football from a win standpoint too, in the top seven, if it comes down to the wire like that, it'd be pretty remarkable. And it's probably gonna be a defensive slugfest. It's gonna feel like a pitcher's stool. It's gonna feel like, you know, Verlander on the mound against Kershaw ten years ago, and whoever can somehow find a CNI singles got a chance to win the game. It's gonna be pretty remarkable.
Speaker 2: Best player on the field tonight will be.
Speaker 3: When Notre Dames on offense. The best player on the field tonight could actually be two players on either side, depending on their health. Abdul Carter in all likelihood will play four Penn State the defensive end. Pass rusher Kuiper's got him as the number two overall player behind Travis Hunter. Super dynamic player. I mean, but they move him around too. I mean, that's what's fun. I think he's not one of those guys that's just stationary end of the line of scrimmage player. Like he can be over the center, he can be over the guard, he can blitz off the second level like he's a very versatile piece. He can move around. He is at less than one hundred percent because of a shoulder injury that he has suffered against Boise State. Played just seventeen snaps in that game, so we'll be monitoring his availability as a game time decision. Then on the other side of Jeremiah Love, who has a right knee injury, the running back for Notre Dame, he hasn't really been all that effective. He hurt his knee against USC in the final week of the regular season. And has like thirteen touches in the two playoff games. Since the problem is that one of those thirteen touches is a ninety eight yard touchdown run, so he's still got great top end speed. But those are the two players that I think are probably the most captivating television for Tonight's game.
Speaker 2: Handicapped tomorrow night's game. Ohio State Texas.
Speaker 3: Everybody's on Ohio State, aren't they?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know it's I feel like you're getting Texas on sale. From a handicapping perspective, Texas on the heels of a two overtime win as a double digit favorite, two touchdown favorite against Arizona State, Texas Scott flaws when yours is flawed?
Speaker 2: Are you going to buy it? It sounds like you would buy Texas a home game.
Speaker 3: It feels well. Is Ohio State ever on the road? I guess the other question that I've starting to realize when it comes to neutral sites, man, Ohio State is going to be there, and they're going to be like and they're going to make their presence felt. I do think though, that Texas is a really They're a team that can absolutely match up. Again, I think they match up really well. I'm not saying they'll win the game. I actually think Ohio State will win the game. But if you're gonna tell me I can get nearly seven, if I get six six and a half five and a half, I kind of lean Longhorns. I look at where they're built in their strength. They're very similar to Michigan with what they have along the defensive front. And while I think Oregon's a good football team, I don't think Oregon is as equipped. I know they beat Ohio State earlier in the season. I also acknowledge though that that version of Ohio State very different than the Ohio State that they saw just this last weekend that the Rose Bowl. Ohio State at that time in that game lost their left tackle Will Howard was not yet as comfortable as he is right now. Their receiver Jeremiah Smith in that game was a good player, but not a take over the game as the best player in college football type of player at that point. So Ohio State's very different. So they beat Oregon badly because Oregon took the same plan that they used the first time around, and they don't match up as well. Texas will kind of keep things in front and their defensive line can win the game. That's Texas's strength and that's where Ohio State lost the game against Michigan. So I do think that Texas matches up better than anyone else up to this point in the postseason against Ohio State.
Speaker 2: Greg McElroy, ESPN College Football Analyst, He'll be on the call. It's on ABC and ESPN. Sean McDonough will be there, Molly McGrath, Katie George and that starts at seven thirty Eastern. Also part of Omaha Production's Always College Football podcast. Co host of Mac and Cube in the Morning on WJOX in Birmingham. How often do coaches get out coached? Oh a lot. I'll go back to what what Notre Dame did against Kirby Smart, what Marcus Freeman did when they swapped out and then they were gonna punt they were not. Then you get off set. I mean, that's that's one moment. But to me, that helped change the game. So I don't know, Like you played for Nick Shaban, but the number of times, like Bill Belichick, how many times will he out coach somebody in the college in college games?
Speaker 3: You know what's funny is it? And I know that this is like the most obvious coach speak thing ever, So apologize in advance. But more games are lost than one, you know what I'm saying. Like, we'll go back to the game and the Sugar Bowl with Notre Dame against Georgia. Two moments stand out in the game. Okay, one was at the end of the half. They have a backup quarterback in the game. Notre Dame is thinking, Hey, they're going to run the ball, take it to half. The game's going to be six ' three. Notre Dame's got a slight lead, but for the most part, you know, it's a low scoring game and it's lacked a lot of offense. Well, they put their run defense personnel in the game. R. J Oben is a guy that at that moment had zero sacks on the season. Well, what does he do. He goes right around the left tackle, stripsack, fumble, recovery. Notre Dame on the next offensive snap, touchdown. Now it's a game that is feels like it's blown open at thirteen to three. That was one moment in the game, and that was Kirby being probably a little bit too aggressive there at the end of half. Hindsight's twenty twenty, Like, do you really expect your left tackle to get killed by a run stopping defensive end? Probably not all right, So that was one moment. The other moment was, like you referenced late in the game, Marcus Freeman ops to run his punt team on on fourth and one, and then all of a sudden run his punt team off put his offense on, which allows Kirby's team and defense to substitute. But they're thinking about getting lined up. The last thing they're thinking about in that scenario is the snap count. It was chaotic on the sideline, it was chaotic near the line of scrimmage. Their best player again and Jalen Walker, who's going to be a three or four time All Pro in his career, lean's just ever so slightly on the neutral zone, free play first down. Next thing, you know, nine plays later, in six minutes off the clock, they've stolen a possession. So I think great coaches know how to just tweak and create that slight edge to steal a possession, whether it's a timely on sidekick, a fake punt, a surprise on sidekick, the thing going forward on fourth down, maybe backed up and getting it. Somehow, great coaches know at that perfect time when to pull that card and play it. Marcus did it once and Kirby made a mistake at the end of half, and that's why the game ended up the way it ended up.
Speaker 2: How often have you had to or did you have to consciously say to Greg McElroy, former Alabama quarterback, don't be sec friend friendly because you're going to get criticized no matter what, because we're going to read into what you say and how you say it. But I'm asking you understanding that have you had to remind yourself be be as fair as possible, even though subconsciously it might still be in your DNA?
Speaker 3: I don't even know, And I think it's a great question. I think it's all from a matter of perspective. Like if you want to know who I am biased towards, it's great teams, you know what I mean? Like like I kind of just follow. I like to watch the teams that executed at a really high level, like I really really and I've all and whether it was Michigan last year, or whether it was TCU two years ago, or whatever the teams it may be. I've always loved Utah like I just love how they you know, never maybe as far as getting off the bus, maybe not the best team, but even dating back to when urban Meyer was there in the early two thousands, it's long been a team I've just had a tremendous amount of admiration for. So I've kind of found myself navigating to words the teams that play really high level football. As far as the SEC stuff, I do have more familiarity with the league. Let's be real. I called five Georgia games this year. I called four Kentucky games. You know, I called four Ole miss games. I called a couple of the Tennessee games, couple Bama games. You just have maybe a deeper understanding of the depths of the roster. But there's never really a point if you do your work professionally, I could care less what patch they have on their jersey. I simply see numbers, names, coaches, records, statistics, and tendencies. What conference they align with is not one that I usually pay a lot of attention to. And I know people ask me all the time, how do you call Bama games and not get not allow your fandom to come out pretty easily because when I was in school, I was probably harder on Alabama as a player, and I could ever be in this line of work. So I think if you look at it through a not a critiquing lens, but a lens in which you're trying to offer constructive criticism and point out observations, then the conference affiliation should have no impact on how you call the game.
Speaker 2: But college football is about brands. You know, everybody was screaming for Alabama to be in the playoffs, and I go, no, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: I think it's about brands to an extent. I do think there's there is this perception that you know this, you know, they the big brands are going to get preferential treatment.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that, but they do bring eyeballs. Do they do bring like Notre Dame brings eyeballs?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: People are going to watch absolutely, absolutely, And I think because of Alabama, they're like, well, do we want Boise State or Arizona State in there? And we want Alabama in there? And we saw Alabama against Michigan in the bowl game. You know, they just weren't a great team a good team this year and I think that's a problem for college football. We get top heavy with Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson used to be in there. It's like the same six or seven schools every year that we get programmed to think, Oh, those are the best teams in the country. Arizona State was awesome. I mean that was so much fun. And Boise State did what Boise State was supposed to do. Indiana did what they were supposed to do. Now do I think Indiana was deserved to be in there? No from a talent perspective or who they played, but they played who's on their schedule. So I until we come up with a better format with this greg or scenarios that make it fairer, you know, I don't want us to fall back on well, I don't know, just put Alabama in, put Clemson in. Yeah, I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I worry what in doubt? What in doubt? Give the teams with more stars, meaning like star ratings, the recruiting ratings like don and Dowe, give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't think that's the proper way to go about it, because while would Alabama potentially have been more competitive in the playoff setting, I have no idea, you know, and that's why I can't sit here and pound the drum. Oh. Clearly, we need to reevaluate, you know, how we're seating teams or how we're putting teams in and who should get in and who should Now I think there are things we can do to adjust our criteria by incentivizing improved and strengthened non conference schedules. I would like to see that because that benefits all of us. If we see stronger non conference games, that's going to only create more intrigue and maybe add a little more context to the conference supremacy argument. I'd like to see it. We see it in basketball. If you play a murderer's row schedule in the non conference, than your likelihood of having a high RPI come tournament times really high. And if you're nineteen and fifteen from Syracuse, doesn't really matter because you make the tournament. Next thing, you know, in a play in game, you're eleven seed, you're playing the final four. So we've seen it in the past. I mean, it's definitely, it's definitely possible. I'd like to see stronger non conference because right now, in beloaded conferences, you can't. Not all SEC schedules are created equal, not all Big ten schedules are created equal. So I think non conference play is where we need to focus. And if we can incentivize teams that go out of their conference and play top tier competition, that should be rewarded, regardless of the outcome. In some cases now they get blown out. No, absolutely not, like that's a data point that needs to be considered. But it also if it's close, and if it was on the road and you tried to go play a top tier team and lost, that should be rewarded as opposed to playing an FCS team and winning by thirty five. You know what I'm saying, man.
Speaker 2: I think it should come down to Vegas should be relied on to rank the teams, your top twelve teams. It should be Vegas. Vegas has no opinion, no bias. They're they are looking at what is the best matchups, and I think I think Vegas would make more sense. I don't want these automatic berths. I don't want any of that. It should be here's the twelve best teams. I saw you cringing.
Speaker 3: Yes to an extent, yes, because if we did that, then USC from a power rating standpoint at the season's end at seven and five is in the mix if we went strictly off Vegas. Now Vegas plays a little bit on psychology too. I mean, why do you think now power ratings are a factor, But there's also you know which team is playing better at the moment, which team is going to garner more public interest? Which team is If I set the line, maybe shade the line maybe a point point and a half higher, is that going to generate more buzz and to create balance on either side of the line. I just think Vegas, Vegas has different incentives. While I understand and appreciate the thought process of that, then at that point, why do we play the game. Let's just have a sixty four team tournament and let's just let's just see how things go.
Speaker 2: That'll be enough rad and let's go.
Speaker 5: I liked. I like.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's broken. The one thing I would adjust is I think that Big ten and SEC conference champions should be rewarded with a home playoff game. And however we figure out the ball system after the fact, I think we'll probably get rid of bias because it's proven, at least in this tournament. That the buy does not benefit you, and how can we get the conference champions to get home games? That needs to be examined as well.
Speaker 2: All Right, have fun tonight, Okay, I appreciate you, all right, and be nice to both sides. Okay always Okay, Greg McElroy, I'll be on the call with Sean McDonough tonight. Festivities start at ABC and ESPN at seven thirty Eastern. We'll be back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Chris Faller on the show tomorrow, Bill Cower on the show tomorrow, Arizona State head coach, see you on the show tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Kenny Dillingham is part of tomorrow show.
Speaker 2: Okay, he'll bring some energy there. How about we write the headline tomorrow's headline today for tonight's game Notre Dame in Penn State. I'm gonna have Todd go last because he's been killing it and he sets the bar too high. Marvin, I'm gonna start with you.
Speaker 6: We are eliminated. Notre Dame goes to the national title game.
Speaker 2: Wow Wow, and you got your Notre Dame sweatshirt on today? Come on all day, all right, Paulie Tomorrow's headline today.
Speaker 7: Mark us down for the national title game.
Speaker 5: Seaton.
Speaker 9: Uh, Pen's fate's fight maybe destiny not in the cards for Nitney Lions. Penn's fate, destiny not in the cards, not in the stars.
Speaker 2: Take this serious one day. I am no you, I am um set.
Speaker 10: I'm letting Todd sharing. Here you go, Todd, Irish state was more competitive. No, it's not good domination. Paul's done an Irish joke at least fifteen hundred times times today.
Speaker 6: Damonation, exclamation point.
Speaker 2: When it's not good, it's not good, Marvin, I apologize. I called you mcleven earlier in the show, like, man, what.
Speaker 6: Did I do to deserve that?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: You know what, when I closed my good eye, you kind of look like mcleven.
Speaker 6: Wait, close your eyes one second. Okay. I love Andydon, he's the best.
Speaker 2: Hey, mcclevin, mcleby goes man. I got all these dms from friends saying what up with that? I go, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I think that's the only time. Is that the first time I've called you McLevin. Yeah, I think ye month one month one. It happened like one or two times. Is were going to break? Okay, all right, it won't happen again. Ray in New York, Hi Ray, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 8: Ray?
Speaker 5: Hey? Ray?
Speaker 3: Hie Ray?
Speaker 2: Let me see Aaron in Michigan.
Speaker 5: Hi erin.
Speaker 11: Hi Dan second time long time six three to forty. Just wanted to give you and the boys a little chance to enjoy some of Iowa's finest food on your road trip there. If you stop in a little ten about in half hour north of Des Moines, we'll.
Speaker 2: Hey, we'll work on that. Once we know when we're going. We'll get suggestions from you. May not happen till like May or June, but we'll let you know when we're going, where we're going, and then you can offer up suggestions there places to stop along the way. So just let's not do that until we get ready to go there, because nobody's going to write these things down, and we want to make sure if there's places to see, just like when we go to Green Bay, we're going to be there for a few days. If there's a chance we can go to a couple places, great, then We'll try to do that same thing with the Super Bowl in New Orleans. And if you're in New Orleans and you want to stop by on a Wednesday night at Tippatinas at seven Central time, it'll be uh Dan Interviews Dan. I'll be there with Dan Levitard and tickets are available Danpatrick dot com across our social media platforms, Seaton, would you give us final results of the pole? Questions, Paulie, this day in sports history, what do you have for us?
Speaker 4: Nineteen sixty two, the NFL banned the grabbing of face masks. They thought about it the year before they voted against it in nineteen sixty one. Soft nineteen seventy two, the LA Lakers ended their thirty three game winning streak. Nineteen seventy seven Super Bowl XI set a pro attendance record of one hundred and three thousand, and in a gutsy move in nineteen ninety, the Hockey News selected Wayne Gretzky as the best NHL player ever.
Speaker 2: Okay Radical all Right wild BiVO Francis in nineteen fifty three scored one hundred and sixteen points. He played for Rio Grand, a small college in Ohio, beat Ashland College Well the NCAA said that doesn't count because Ashland College at the time was a two year school, So less than a year later he scored one hundred and thirteen points against Hillsdale. That's a four year score. BiVO Francis, that sounds like a not a thirty for thirty because I don't know how many people would care, but like this guy, I think he was seven feet tall scoring all these Maybe it's just for me. That's what we learned. BiVO Francis brought to you by tire rack dot com, the official tire expert of the show. Go to tyrac dot com sh Dan see the full lineup of Pirelli tire special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation. Tire rack dot com the way tire should be. Thanks for joining us. We'll talk to you tomorrow.