Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and ever Low in sentrancs go.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up. Google agrees to create an AI cloud business with Blackstone, which will run on Google's homegrown AI chips.
Speaker 3: Plus, the legal battle between Elon Musk and his Open Ai co founders ends with a jewelry ruling Musk waited too long to soon. We'll dive into the details of the verdict.
Speaker 2: A Meta Betts Big on Louisiana for the world's biggest AI facility. This is It plans AI related layoffs this week.
Speaker 3: AI related layoffs a theme for the market, but AI lack of exuberance pounding the market once again with actually yields pushing higher Riskill focused on geopolitics, said, but we're looking at a third straight day of losses on the laws that one hundred or off five out a percentage point. We're off about three percent in those three training days. As we just get a little bit of worry that we went too far, too farst on the hardware side of things, I shine a light on the Semiconductor Index. The SOCKS is coming off by two percent. In fact, we're down by eight nine percent. We're on the cusp of some sort of well recalibration of where we've been in this run up. Yes, it was about seventy percent from the end of March, but now are we on the verge of a correction. We're down almost eight or nine percent, as I say, but a rotation. Some money moving into the software stocks. You've got key earnings coming from software and hardware over the next few days.
Speaker 4: Neo clouds down.
Speaker 2: The news Blackstone and Google forming a new company to be a neocloud. Blackstone brings five billion dollars. There's debt financing. Five hundred megawats is the target. Google's TPUs tensor processing units are the chips. And look at those names that are down Core weave, Ironebuus in particular, all very Nvidia focused architectures. But neoclouds all the same. Competition seems to be coming it does.
Speaker 3: That's scuss the impact of Google blackstory. The partnership ed Brie Big Intelligence says this pact could be a major boost for the tech giants. Chips business Managsing, who wrote that React joins us now. And what's so interesting is, yes, the equity comes from Blackstone five billion, it could be leveraged up to twenty five billion dollars. But this is just another way for Alphabet to get its hardware out there but not actually have to build the data centers. It feels like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and look, when it comes to Nvidia, their ecosystem of neo cloud players is pretty big. I mean, you had a few of those on the on your screen. And when it comes to Google, you know, you have got terrible cipher mining, but there aren't a lot of you know, TPU providers. And that's where you know, when Anthropics says they want to use almost two hundred billion dollars of capacity from Google, Google has to find a way to you know, wrap that up outside of their own cloud. And that's where I think this sort of a transaction is quite interesting. Where Blackstone is putting the money and also has got live capacity that they can bring online by twenty twenty seven, which is what makes this very attractive from a Google standpoint.
Speaker 2: Hey, Mandy, what's the Bloomberg intelligence thesis on the business model of setting up a neocloud for the TPU?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Because Google Cloud, you know, they have capacity that they could get to third party customers. Why set up a new standalone new code.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So in the case of Google Cloud, you know, they are serving that traffic from Google's data centers. I mean in this case, you know, having a neocloud provider use Google TPUs and then everything else is taken care of by a blackstown in this case, whether it's you know, the power or the cooling or the you know, even getting the land for that data center. So from that perspective, having that live capacity is what you know, makes this different from Google having to do it on their own, which will be a lot more aggreed in terms of how much gigawad they can bring online in twenty twenty six, twenty twenty seven and beyond, whereas this would come life much faster given the involvement of blacksture.
Speaker 2: Man deep Seeing, who leads technology research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Thank you very much. Let's take it today. A look at today's big number. Seven thousand. That's how many workers Medas resigning to new jobs related to AI. That's according to an internal memo. This comes on the eve of a ten percent staff cut tomorrow to improve efficiency and quote offset metas investments in AI. AAR related job cuts are the talk of Wall Street right now. Is Standard Chartered CEO Bill Winters also saying his company plans to cut more than fifteen percent of its supports staff by twenty thirty, aiming to replace quote lower value human capital with AI. Martin Norton is MPOWER Chief Investment Strategists, and I'm going to ask you straight up, it's an interesting balancing act cutting rolls and saying that this is not necessarily a trim downsize, it's a reallocation a priority to AI. As an investor, what signal does that give you?
Speaker 8: Well, it's not the only piece of data that we have as companies do that. We hear a lot of different announcements of companies making reductions to their workforce related to AI. I think a lot of these are idiosyncratic. When we're looking at the broad economy at the moment, we know that the broad economy added labor upon labor and the wake of the pandemic, and now there's a bit of right sizing, and so in some cases, I do think companies are adding the AI moniker to make it feel very forward looking to maybe AI whitewash it, but not necessarily a sign of the times in terms of very broad layoffs across the economy. In fact, one of the areas that I'm looking more closely for signs of an AI impact is more on the hiring side, where people are maybe slower to higher than they otherwise would because of AI. But yes, there are these idiosyncratic reports that suggest we are seeing a little bit of movement on that front.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, language matters, lower value, human capital, the extraordinary choice of words, but Marta putting that to one side, there is anxiety out there of labor and people who are affected. But when you're thinking about how we see actual businesses lean into this moment, are we still seeing adoption taking root in the way you anticipated? Are we seeing the people the label that is able to use AI being more productive with it?
Speaker 8: You know, I think those early signs that are pretty positive in terms of adoption by current employees. So I think everyone at this point is using the chatbots on a regular basis to do, you know, low value research. But I think the bigger question is this AI agent deployment what that looks like? And you are seeing companies talking about that in real time and beginning to structure workflows around it. I think we're very early obviously on the adoption of that. But that is where I think a lot of this AI productivity can stem from.
Speaker 2: Modern the market's trading, in part in anticipation of Nvidia. After the closing bell Wednesday. Yesterday, I spoke to Nvidia CEO Jensen Wang. This is how he frames the state of play.
Speaker 9: We have the largest supply chain in the world. Our partners have done a great job securing supply for us, and so all of the pieces go together. The silicon, photonics is lined up, Everything is all lined up. It's just that the demand is much greater than the overall capacity.
Speaker 3: Of the world.
Speaker 2: The demand is far out pacing this industry's ability to supply. When you go into an earnings how do you decide therefore the bar in terms of what is positive and what is negative. If you're in a supply constraint world.
Speaker 8: Well, I think you do want to see signs that they are monetizing it. Right, If you're in a supply constrained world, that demand should be moving earnings and you want to see some evidence of that. But of course, when we're talking about the supply constraint. We're also talking about supply constraint and areas that would infect the likes of n videos so memory checks, for example, And what does that mean for gross margins and how are they navigating that? I think those are important questions at the moment, but I think the bigger picture, and I caught that that interview yesterday. I think the bigger picture that Jensen Wong is pointing to is this massive supply and demand mismatch that we'll carry through not just this earnings report, but for several quarters years to come as this all plays out. So I really agree with his comment that this is inning one, Inning two on the AI build.
Speaker 3: Luckily we all call that into you. It was a great one with Ed and Mountain Norton. We so appreciate having you on the show today of Empower. Thank you for your time. Coming up a bitter feud, personal grievances, billions of dollars. The decision comes down to timing. We'll discuss the jury's rejection of El Musk's claims against his Open AI co founders, and what comes next the decision in that closely watched legal battle between Ela Musk and his open ai co founders came down to timing. A jury rule that Musk waited too long to sue of open AI's transition to a for profit business. Mugs Madelon and Macklburg has been following the case every step of the way. You join us now, Madeline. What did the jury decide? What didn't it decide on?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 10: It was a bit of an anti climactic verdict, if I can say that, because the jury didn't actually make a decision on any of the claims that Elon Musk presented over the course of this lawsuit. What they said instead was that he had not proven his case within the statute of limitations set by law for the specific claims that he brought. So essentially, they found that he had concerns about this conduct and should have known about this conduct years before he actually filed his lawsuit, and so therefore the case that the jury was hearing should be tossed out, which is what happened.
Speaker 2: We're going to get an appeal, according to mister Mask, who posted on x that he would appeal. I believe like his legal team outside the courtroom said that we would appeal. If that's the case, what do we know about what that appeal would be based on From a legal perspective.
Speaker 10: Right, it should come as no surprise to anybody who follows Elon Musk as a litigant that he plans to appeal this and fight this vigorously. We saw him celebrating on X afterwards saying that, you know, just because they decided on the statute of limitations, they never actually touched the merits of the case. I think an appeal on this ground is a lot more narrow than if the jury had actually ruled on the.
Speaker 6: Merits of his claims.
Speaker 10: So I think a lot It still kind of remains to be seen of how this is going to play out, but it's going to be an issue that the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is going to have to sort through when he eventually files that.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Madeline Meckelberg, thank you very much. Let's dive more into the legal considerations. Dorothy Lund is with us, a professor at Columbia Law School focused on corporate law, governance and contracts, returning to the show and has been covering this trial with us. In our Bloomberg News story, we write that mister Musk was too late in his suit, and we later down in the story explain the idea that he had knowledge in twenty twenty four and so basically should have filed his suit sooner. But I've got a lot of sympathy with people around the world that don't understand the legal technicality of that. The Statute of limitations seems to play a role here. Is this codified or is this the jury's discretion in deciding that mister Musk ran out of time?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the jury.
Speaker 11: So the jury had to basically answer this question of whether or not the Statute of limitations applied to the two claims that were brought here. So the two claims is to remind everybody or there was a violation that open ai, Brockman and Altman violated a promise that was made to Musk that it would have a permanent charitable charitable mission to develop safe open source AI technology, and that they received undeserved benefits because of those broken promises. And so then open ai said, well, you waited too long to sue. You know, you brought your case on August twenty twenty four, and the statute of limitations was only three It was three years, which meant the things that you're complaining about that took place in twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, you're too late.
Speaker 7: Well, I think that is.
Speaker 2: Surely, did Elon Musk and his team of very expensive lawyers not understand the law or something when they followed the suit?
Speaker 6: Nosk?
Speaker 11: You know, so Musk of course had these fabulous lawyers, and you know that the statute of limitations is told if you've concealed, if harm has been concealed, or you haven't discovered the harm. And so his argument was, well, you know, Sam Altman and open Ai have been lying to me. They concealed that they were doing all this stuff. It wasn't until twenty twenty three that I really understood what was going on. And so this and this gets back to your original question, which is why did this go to a jury?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 11: The jury had to sift through testimony from both parties, documents and to try to understand this timing question. Okay, so when was it that Musk knew or reasonably should have known about the harm that he was claiming happened.
Speaker 3: And instead we all get consumed with billionaire versus billionaire and how much equity they own in the underlying company and what they're like in terms of managers or how trustworthy they are at the end of the day, when we misguided to think that when they go back to an appeals court, will it be argued in a different way.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So it's a little disappointing that we didn't get an answer on the big question here, right, that the claims that I was telling you about just now are are unaddressed, and in this appeal we won't get any resolution on this either. So you know, this is going to be a narrow appeal on this decision of the statute of limitations. And because that statute of limitations question turned on a factual determination, you know that is going to be really hard to be overturned. Public courts rarely overturn a jury's fact intensive findings, especially in this case where the judge also reviewed the evidence and said I came to the same conclusion. And so the only path four from USK is going to be arguing a different set of things about you know, the argument would have to be some error that proud come here, improper instructions or improper evidentiary rulings.
Speaker 2: We're having some technical issues, or if you with your zoom. So give the Internet gremlins a second to reset. But my question to you is exactly that, I don't want you to speculate.
Speaker 4: But what options does mister.
Speaker 2: Musk have if he needs to go to the appeals court but argue something completely different to the original case.
Speaker 11: Yeah, his argument is going to have to be that there were significant legal or procedural errors that prejudice the outcome. You know that there the instructions to the jury were improper, their evidentiary rulings were wrongly decided. There won't be any discussion on the substance of this larger question of whether or not Opening I violated its charitable purpose when it restructured to create a for profit affiliate.
Speaker 3: Called a public opinion. Therefore, in many ways, Dorothy Lund, Professor at Columbia Law School, fantastic to have you. Thank you. Coming up, Parallel is moving past the era of flat f AI licensing deals. The CEO Arak Agrawal is me joining us. Next this is blue bag Tech.
Speaker 2: Parallel, a web API purpose built for AI and led by the FORMACYO of Twitter, is launching Index today, a new marketplace that pays publishers and data providers based on how much their content actually helps an AI agent completed task. Joining us is Parallel, founder and CEO Para Agrowl. So, in answer to the question what did you get done this week? You launched Index in this era of agentic right, the agents need the web data and the proprietary data sets. I guess saw a gap where the marketplace for that data doesn't exist. Then now you think it does.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we've been linked towards this content marketplace for the last two and a half years. We've started Parallel with the notion that agents will use all of the content on the web thousand x more than humans ever have. And when that happens, the technology that we've built over the last couple of decades isn't enough. But the business models also break down. Adds, subscriptions, these business models no longer work, and that I think is the opportunity for us to figure out how to align the interests of AI agents doing real work along with the content owners who are creating valuable content that feeds these agents.
Speaker 7: And that's what Index is all about.
Speaker 2: To help the Boomberg Tech audience out. The question what did you get done this week? Was posed to you by mister musk just before you left Twitter. How do you assign a value then to the data? You've called this index very interesting. Right on the one side you have the agent or the entity the agent is acting.
Speaker 4: On behalf of.
Speaker 2: And then on the other side you have the source of the data who sets up price or value.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So if you think about other deals that are being done, these deals are typically between a large lab or a hyperscaler or Google alongside a large publishing house. And these are flat feed deals where over time, I don't believe content owners get to participate in the growing economy of agents. Now, what's really happening with agents is they are starting to do real work, real knowledge work in the enterprise. So if you think about our customers, our customers span people building AI scientists. Our customers are building air lawyers, customers are building for finance using agents, and all of these agents that our customers built are doing real work when they produce value. Content owners don't get to participate in that economy of the value being.
Speaker 7: Created with index.
Speaker 12: What we're trying to do is buil a system where if very valuable work is done using somebody's data, they get more money. If someone has very high quality data, they get paid more. And we've built a model to figure out what this value is, what this marginal contribution is, and it draws from this game theorty concept called Shapi values.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the shapely value. It's contribution to the work performed by an AI agent. So basically, instead of content access crawls or citations, you consider the value. I mean, but where's the monetary number coming from? What are you pegging it against? And how how do you work out what? Then ADII agent has eventually learned itself.
Speaker 7: Off for well.
Speaker 12: Shappie values has been my obsession for the last three years as we've been working on this. So just in a sentence, what shappily values is is about like if a few people decide to collaborate on building something in a positive some way where the whole is bigger than the sum of parts. The question is how do you divide up this value? And schappely value is the concept that tells us the way to divide this value so that everyone is incentivized to participate. The net outcome of using this concept two reward content owners. It creates three really nice properties. One high quality content gets paid more. Number two, content that gets used in high value work gets paid more. And most importantly, as agents do more work and create more value, content owners grow alongside them, which we believe allows content creation on the web to be sustainable.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of content creators out there right now, So how do they sign up to INEX? How do you make sure that it's not just quite large either?
Speaker 6: Individuals who are.
Speaker 3: Writing I think of alex Etho is actually those that have got a minor substack, but with really valuable content that somehow the agent has managed to access.
Speaker 6: How do they access that?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 12: With Index Today we're announcing collection of launch partners. These span premium news publishers like The Atlantic and Fortune to really raw, factual, amazing content from the pr Newswire, business intelligence and data providers like pitch Bork and Traction and zoom Info, as well as independent creators like Alex Heath, Azimazer as several others. The really interesting part about this is that we want everyone, all content owners big and small, to be able to participate in this economy, and we want all agents, not just once built by large providers, to be able to get access to all of this amazing content.
Speaker 2: Correct, We just have sixty seconds, but can ask you about x the platform known as Twitter. Of course, still using it, your view of it and as part of XAI is part of SpaceX.
Speaker 7: I'm still using it. I'm still calling it Twitter.
Speaker 12: I think we built a product over a decade that I was there which endures in value forever, and I'm really proud of the platform that we created.
Speaker 7: It allows the theme of.
Speaker 12: Content access and democratization out in the open versus and permission groups, and that theme is what carries forward into my current company, Parallel, where the goal is to have as much content as possible out in the open, for everyone to have access to, everyone's agent to have access to instead of just the.
Speaker 3: Few, and be compensated Paral Else, CEO Aragagowel is great to have some time with you. Thank you for coming on.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: Coming out, we dive into metas mega data center plans in Louisiana and some the hiccups along the way from New York from San Francisco, there's a Bluema.
Speaker 4: Tech welcome back to Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: There's still a semiconductor story in financial markets and looking at the socks or the Philadelphia Semiconductor index. We're down for a third straight day.
Speaker 4: A part of this is.
Speaker 2: Kind of a breather after what we were calling the melt up. The performance in chip stocks since the end of March was astonishing. But there's also this element that we are really close to correction territory in three days. At one point in the session, we were down almost ten percent. Its karra Of pointed out earlier. In Vidia is a part of it, right, and the idea that posts President Trump's visit to China. We don't really have a net conclusion of what's going on, but we get in Video earnings on Wednesday, so fresh off his trip to Beijing and Video CEO Jensen Wong says he's confident the Chinese market will eventually open back up.
Speaker 4: To his company.
Speaker 2: Delceo and Michael Dell shared that optimism for economic collaboration as well. Here's what both leaders told me at Del World in Las Vegas yesterday.
Speaker 9: The President once America the wind everywhere right. The President wants America to lead the Ai revolution, and so h two hundreds are licensed to sell to China.
Speaker 7: The Chinese. The Chinese government.
Speaker 9: Has to decide how much of their local market do they want to protect and how much of their local market do they want to expand with more a more AI capacity. My sense is that the demand in China is so incredible, just like it is here. Agentic Ai is also making enormous progress there. My sense is that over time the market will open. President she was very clear that he wants China to be an even wider open market. Premier Lee Chang was very straightforward and to explain very eloquently that that China will be an open market.
Speaker 7: So I'm looking forward to China be in a more.
Speaker 2: Open clarified as you were able to meet with those officials directly to discuss whether or not you can sell to those Chinese tech companies.
Speaker 7: I did.
Speaker 9: I didn't discuss directly with them about age two hundred, right. I was there to represent the United States and I was honored to do so. I was there to support President Trump and.
Speaker 7: Really glad to do so.
Speaker 9: But that was really the focus of my trip. President Trump had some conversations with the leaders, and I'm looking forward to what they decided.
Speaker 2: Michael, you did not go to China, but I think what's interesting is you are a member of the President's Council advises for science and technology, as is Jensen, your net conclusion on whether or not China will become open to American technology companies to do business there.
Speaker 4: You know, we have a bus in China.
Speaker 13: Obviously we comply with all the restrictions and you know, various controls that are in place.
Speaker 4: But I hope that there's.
Speaker 13: More economic collaboration between the United States and China that ultimately is will lead to greater outcomes and prosperity for everyone. And you know, a greater likely heard of a successful relationship between the countries and around the world.
Speaker 3: Dell CEO Michael Dale, of course, and Video CEO Jensen, And I'm speaking there with Ed yesterday. And let's just revisit today's big number with Meta reassigning seven thousand workers to new jobs. Of course they're related to AI. An internal memo from Chief people Officer Janelle Gale, viewed by Bloomberg, Reveal's employees will move into one of several new groups focused on AI related products, including agents and apps. The new corporate structure will quote be flatter and have smaller teams. Now this comes as the company is getting ready, of course, to cup ten percent of its staff this week as part of an effort to, as they say, improve efficiency ed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sticking with Meta's big AI plans, Mark Zuckerberg's plan to build the world's biggest AI facility has enmeshed his company deeply in Louisiana's politics and economy, the projects providing an economic boost to one of the nation's poorest regions, but also bringing a host of growing Bloomberg's Riley Griffin joins us more with the big take, and there's big readership on this, a lot of interest. You did what every good Beat reporter does. You go there, you see what's happening on the ground. The headline is two hundred billion dollars, right, that's the commitment. What is happening with Meta in Louisiana.
Speaker 14: Yeah, A really important point here is that two hundred billion dollars spend that Meta is thinking about with Richland Parish and its data center.
Speaker 6: There is largely about the chips.
Speaker 14: This is going to be a five gigawatt of compute capacity data center, another two point five gigawatts to support the broader campus, which is spanning nearly four thousand acres. President Donald Trump has said that this is going to be a Manhattan sized project after speaking with Mark Zuckerberg. But a lot of that spend isn't going directly into the community. It's going into the chips inside the facilities. And we still have to ask the question, what does this mean for the people of Richland Parish in the Louisiana Delta, a region that has struggled for decades and where farmers are really losing four hundred dollars on every acre of cotton they sell.
Speaker 3: Right now, Well, let's go to Dustin Morris, because you paint a picture of how his economic reality is currently. He's a soybean, a corn farmer, and he's flying around his own land trying to work out whether it's the right time to be selling out right.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's a story of expected land rush right as with all of the data center stories of this size around the United States, many of them shifting into rural regions, particularly in the South, and people are looking around and wondering, you know, do I trade this history, Do I trade this land? Do I trade this crop for a data center? And it was I mean, it was really an honor to be able to go multiple times to Richland Parish and hear their concerns and think about the way they're looking at Meta as a lifeline, and I over.
Speaker 2: Was jumping what a Meta saying about that? Like was Meta's response to it? And what do people genuinely feel about the company even where it's made a building there.
Speaker 6: Well, it took some time.
Speaker 14: Meta hashed out this deal over the course of a year in private. Meta is certainly saying they want to be there in the thick of it with the community. They're investing in the schools. There's actually a school at the corner of the data center. There are discussions about whether it should be moved. I have heard that Meta is reviewing plans, so they're in the trenches. But notably, Meta is only bringing five hundred jobs. This is a community that's looked for five thousand over the years from an auto manufacturer and have been unable to court that. So will five hundred jobs be enough to provide that economic lifeline long term?
Speaker 6: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: To the's Riley Griffin with the big take top of the website and the Bloomberg terminal carry there's plenty more news out there today.
Speaker 3: There is It's time now for talking tech ed and first up Chinese AI pioneer Moonshot is restructuring to secure its path to public markets now. The developer of the popular kidney chatbot has informed investors it will revamp its corporate structure to comply with Beijing's rules and pave the way for a highly anticipated Hong Kong ipo. Speaking of which, Chinese robotics Unicorn Lingobot is exploring a Hong Kong ipo that could launch as early as this year, and the maker of highly dexterous robotic hands is targeting a six billion dollar evaluation and counts Samsung ten Cent among its clients. And China's demographic time clock is triggering an unprecedented automation boom. A new report from Barkley's shows humanoid robots could offset as much as sixty percent of that labor decline by twenty thirty five, turning.
Speaker 6: What is a structural crisis into a hardware gold rush.
Speaker 2: Ed Coming up, we're going to go live from the JP Morgan Tech Media and Communications Conference, and we'll hear from Lori Beer, JP Morgan Global c Io that conversation.
Speaker 4: Next this is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Let's get out to the JP Morgan Tech Media and Communication Conference in Boston. Where Bloomberg Surveillance co host Lisa Vonovitz is standing by Lisa.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much. Ed.
Speaker 15: I am here at a JP Morgan conference at four Technology, Media and Communications, and I'm here with Lori Beer, the chief information officer for JP Morgan.
Speaker 6: Laurie, wonderful to speak with you. In many ways, you are the woman of the moment.
Speaker 15: Because you have to understand how to oversee change that seems to be happening at an accelerating pace. Can you give a sense of just how quickly it has accelerated from say, six months ago, a year ago to right now.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think it's an amazing moment, first of all, to be in technology and to be in financial services.
Speaker 6: And we definitely saw the.
Speaker 16: Gen one tools come out a couple of years ago. The last six months have rapidly accelerated, not only new models getting created, but how we're able to apply them.
Speaker 6: And so it really ties back to how.
Speaker 16: Do we think about driving and adapting.
Speaker 6: Change so quickly?
Speaker 15: Yeah, one thing is wered a lot of nervousness, a lot of anxiety. There was a story that was out this morning about Standard Charter CEO coming out and saying they was going to cut fifty percent of staff support staff and removing lower value human capital and replacing it with AI tools and investment in AI. What's real what's not when it comes to sort of the mass job cause what's been your experience?
Speaker 16: Yeah, So overall we've seen definitely productivity opportunities.
Speaker 6: So even when we.
Speaker 16: Think about technology, we've seen ten to twenty to thirty percent improvement just from the initial generation one tools. As you look to agentic you're going to see even more.
Speaker 6: But there's a huge demand.
Speaker 16: There's a huge demand to create new products and services and experiences for our customers. We're using AI to figure out new products to offer and frankly, when you think about the other side of it, the AI is also creating increased cybersecurity risks. So how do we think about also the accelerating the investments to protect our customers and client too. So the demand remains large, you know, significant, and we're able to get a lot more done than we have historically. How's very is mythos so with mythos AI in general, but it's really good on both sides of the equation. One to understand vulnerabilities and so the key with that and any other AI is how do we capture those, how do we clearing house those, how do we update those in.
Speaker 6: A safe and secure way. But on the other.
Speaker 16: Side of this, as you apply these models into the software development process, we're going to have safer and more secure software.
Speaker 6: On the flip side, or cyber.
Speaker 16: Teams can use the power of these models to be able to protect, defend, identify fraud, identify.
Speaker 6: Issues more quickly.
Speaker 16: So there's really two sides of this equation to think about.
Speaker 15: Based on how quickly you see technology shifting and what tools are really coming to the fore, how does the mindset have to shift of the people who work for you.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think it's a great question. The technology is amazing. I think this is truly a shift, a transformational shift in technology where this is getting embedded and horizontally across all layers of the stack. The harder part is the change management in the leadership, and I think really thinking about where are things going. We don't know all the answers, so how do you navigate change in an uncertainty? It's still very early innings, so it's really had to shift from how do we help guide our teams, how do we make sure our software engineers understand what's coming.
Speaker 6: My management team.
Speaker 16: Spends a lot of time on the weekends building their own apps, pick your favorite coding adentic coding tool, but it helps them understand what's coming. And I think this is a moment where leaders, in addition to software engineers truly have to understand the change. And we have to understand how do we actually create an environment that allows us to pivot and navigate when times are uncertain and really make sure don't lose track.
Speaker 6: Of what's really important.
Speaker 16: How do we deliver products and services and experience.
Speaker 6: From our customers and clients.
Speaker 15: Howty balance innovation with risk and the idea of the tried and true you need to do this project versus moonshot projects.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you know, I think this is one of the most interesting times when you have to think about the balance of innovation and risk taking. We wouldn't be in business as long as we have been if we haven't driven a lot of innovation historically. But we're also in the business of managing risk, and so I think in this moment you have to really think about going at the appropriate speed of innovation. Some of these moonshots are becoming real and so you have to move aggressively at the innovation front.
Speaker 6: But we obviously are a.
Speaker 16: Business of trust, and we have to make sure our customers are clients, the bank is protected every day, and so finding this balance and actually again using these capabilities to also protect ourselves.
Speaker 6: And so it's this really interesting time while along with that you don't necessarily know who's going to win in the end, and.
Speaker 16: So making sure we're not locking ourselves in to one provider or one scenario and we're constantly sandboxing what's on the horizon in the future.
Speaker 15: Does it change your decision whether to build or buy in terms of different software solutions.
Speaker 16: You know, it's been interesting because over the last several years we've made sure that we're really focusing our engineering community, and we have a large engineering community on building the things that are competitively differentiating and great value for our customers and clients. And over time you have to balance where that still makes a lot of sense and where we focus our energy on those unique products and services for our customers and clients. And so when you think about the balance of trade and the fact that software engineering overall is increasing in speed and it is more cost effective when you look at the end to end product development life cycle. You know, there are different trade offs you would consider in making those build versus buy decisions, but you're always going to have some of those, you know, enterprise software solutions frankly that aren't competitively differentiated that sort of help us run the bank without delivering those unique products and services.
Speaker 6: Just twenty seconds.
Speaker 15: Do you think that we're going to be able to recognize what banking looks like, say, in ten years.
Speaker 6: I think we're.
Speaker 16: Watching it transform as we speak right now. At the end of the day, we have to maintain that trust with customers and clients and we have to make sure that their unique needs are served across the over one hundred countries we operate in. But how we do it and the products and services will absolutely evolve over the next several years.
Speaker 15: Caroline, that is Lori Beer, the chief information officer at GENP Market.
Speaker 6: I'll set it back to you.
Speaker 3: What a great day, what a great set of interviews. Thank you New Mexsavana's co hosting ROUMWA. It's there, and we've got some bocking news in the meantime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's some breaking news on the tunnel about Apple. Apple chief hardware Officer Johnny Shreuji, reorganizing hardware development and shifting oversight of key functions such as product design partner effort to speed up work on future devices. Sources say the hardware shakeup is also meant to better integrate teams working on in house silicon with those that are creating products. And of course Bloomberg's Mark Gum and the one carrier that broke the story some other detailed Shelly Goldberg Dave Pecula are now going to oversee product design. Maybe not names as familiar to the Bloomberg Tech audience, but in this new era for Apple, a lot of focus on who's right at the top and running the show.
Speaker 3: It will become known ed thanks mean while coming up, Look, we're going to be speaking with Armada CEO Dan Wright as the company raises to one of thirty million dollars in a series be funding boosting his valuation to two billion dollars, and some new strategic investors and big projects for the hyperscaler for the Edge as a Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 4: Some more breaking news crossing the Blue terminal.
Speaker 2: Open AI founding member Andre Carpaty says he's joined rival and Thropic. In a post on x Carpappy says he will be working on R and D with Anthropic and be focused on helping train new AI models. Cope previously helped lead the team behind Tesla's autopilot system before then returning to Open Ai. He left the chat gp maker for a second time last year and had launched a startup focused on AI and education. In that post, carry he says that he's still passionate about education plans to resume his work on that, but in the market of AI talent, this is a bit of a wow. This is a big story that I didn't see coming breaking this morning.
Speaker 3: It certainly is. The wows keep coming. Meanwhile, let's talk about a fundraise now. Amada has just raised two hundred thirty million dollars in an oversubscribed Series B round, bosting the company's valuation to a call two billion dollars. But the company is also announcing a partnership with Johnson Controls to produce modular data centers and they're at scale joining us now. I'm oada CEO Dan Wright alsome modular data center? How are we going to be making it?
Speaker 4: Ye?
Speaker 17: So much for having me on a modular data center is a full stack AI factory that you can deploy anywhere, and we can do it with the three s's. We call it speed, scale, and sovereignty. You can deploy these within weeks. You can scale up with demand versus traditional data center sometimes you end up overbuilding or building the wrong thing. And then modular data centers also have the benefit that you can get sovereignty down to the site level. People used to talk about data sovereignty in terms of countries, but with increasingly sophisticated cyber attacks, now you want data sovereignty at the site level.
Speaker 2: This is all about speed, movement, building funding. This has helps you move even quicker or what's the plan here?
Speaker 17: Yeah, So this round was led by co ed by Overmatch eighty ninety industries as well as black Rock, and really what it allows us to do is scale up to accelerate deployment of the USAI stack. As part of this, we're also announcing a global agreement with John's Controls, where starting with Galleon Forge one in Arizona, we're going to do continuous manufacturing of these modular data centers. And if you look at them, they kind of look like shipping containers, so they're easily transportable anywhere in the world. You can deploy them whereever you want. And the nice thing is you can use any source of power, and that's obviously important. Power is a big concerned when it comes to data centers. Energy is distributed. We're saying compute should also be distributed.
Speaker 3: Where's the demand coming from? Exactly who wants these?
Speaker 17: Yeah, so energy companies. We're working with many of the largest energy companies in the world. All of them have a hard segregation between IT and OT, meaning that the only way to do anything with AI is to deploy the infrastructure on the rigs, on the refineries and run those models behind the firewall at the edge. We're enabling that. They're all trying to be fully autonomous over the next few years. You need compute locally in order to enable that. And then also defense is a huge driver for us. For example, with the conflict in the Middle East. We got a call from an ally. They said, hey, we need one of these like immediately. We were able to deploy within days. They called back said we need more.
Speaker 7: We were able to share more.
Speaker 3: Out and who your partners within this data center? I can understand that you're helping with the construction of it all, but still you need the chips from.
Speaker 7: Someone, you need the service of someone.
Speaker 3: How are you bringing this all together and how open are you to different types of partners?
Speaker 17: Well, well, I think that's actually part of the magic of Armada is that we built this ecosystem of amazing partners and it's kind of like, actually, what the hyperscalers did.
Speaker 7: You know twenty years ago?
Speaker 17: Is you're bringing all of these different services and you're making them accessible to more people. That's what Armada is doing for the edge is the Hyperscaler for the edge. And a good example of this we just announced a partnership recently with Microsoft to bring Foundry, bring Azure Local, allow them to run these customers to run services that they love from Microsoft models that they run from Microsoft at the edge air Gap.
Speaker 7: Same thing.
Speaker 17: We announced a partnership with Opening Eye. We announced on with Nvidia, Dell as well as Pallenteer bringing all those capabilities.
Speaker 7: To the edge.
Speaker 2: So Dan real quick. I was with Michael Dell and jensmong yesterday. The bigger theme is on prem people want at the edge facility close to them. Is that an addressable market for you. We just have thirty seconds.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 17: I mean that's what I believe is going to happen, is you're going to have sovereign AI factories. And really what that means is that every country and every company is going to have its own AI factory. And I know that Michael and Jensen would agree with me on that because they've been saying that publicly. And in order to do that, you need both the chips, you need the servers, and then you also need the infrastructure, and that's what are enabling as the hyperscaler.
Speaker 7: For the edge.
Speaker 2: Then right, I'm out a CEO back on Bloomberg Tech after a big fundraise. Great to have you back. Thank you very much. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech Carrot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to forget to check out this podcast.
Speaker 6: What a rich podcast.
Speaker 3: We're going to be having all eyes as we build up towards the videos earnings after the bal tomorrow.
Speaker 7: You can find it on.
Speaker 3: The terminal as well as online on Apple, Spotify and iHeart ed still a phenomenal interview from yesterday as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the market is waiting anticipation for the Nvidia Print Wednesday night post melt up in chip stocks.
Speaker 4: Wow, this is Bloomberg Tech. H