Speaker 1: I Am all in Again, Luke Steiner with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Everybody Scott Patterson, Iamle and podcast Modeline productions iHeart Media, iHeartRadio, iHeart Podcast another edition of Luke Steiner of a very special Guest with Me. Toya Body is a master master of her craft. She specializes in putting a twist on New Orleans style dishes and cooks with a southern flare. Native of New Orleans, she started honoring her culinary skills at a very very young age and used her talent to kickstart a very successful career as a culinary authority on Cajun and Creole cuisine. She enjoys bringing creativity to the kitchen and teaching people how to take a piece of New Orleans back home with them. Welcome, Toya, how you doing? Pleasure to have you?
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: When did you first realize food was going to be your love language? Where was there a dish that started it all?
Speaker 4: Well? I think I realized late, but when my body and just spirit reacted to it that food was going to be my solution and way of being.
Speaker 3: When I used to I had.
Speaker 4: A bad summer school habit, so I used to go to summer school from six to twelfth grade. For every time math hit, I was just like, I'll catch it in summer school and.
Speaker 3: Do the homework and get a deep you know.
Speaker 4: Mom used to call it doing fine grades these and f's. So in order to pay for summer school, I needed to get a job, because she was like, I'm not paying again. So at fifteen, I made two plates of food and I walked down the street to the corner stores and I asked the people, would you hire me? And one place said no, and the other place said yes. And I was fifteen cooking at a corner store for a neighborhood in New Orleans. Corner stores are like a big thing, like it's catering style food. I was doing at like fifteen, So I would say that was the beginning of me knowing it was a solution. And at nine I started cooking, and that's when food became my friend.
Speaker 2: A cooking prodigy, if you will, by the time you were fifteen, you had all the skills, not all, but a lot a good bit.
Speaker 4: I didn't even know that if I wrote my book. When I was writing the part, I was like, wait, I was fifteen, doing that.
Speaker 2: So in New Orleans is in every part of your cooking. What does it mean to cook like you're from New Orleans? Beyond just the.
Speaker 4: Ingredients, it's almost the meals we cook in New Orleans and how we do things in New Orleans is kind of like experiencing our food from an actual local.
Speaker 3: It's like getting a hug on a plate, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like, it's not it's not just something you eat, it's just something you kind of live out almost you experience when it comes to food. It's it's therapy, but it goes back towards history of how we all ended up in New Orleans, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean.
Speaker 4: So, like food was the highlight you know for many people, especially people who were in poverty, who grew up a certain way, food was their luxury. Like if you know, some people are like, no, this expensive lamp is the thing. No, your mama making stuff peppers with actual like lunk crab meat outside of a holiday, that's all, you know, Like you know, that's that's when you know, like you broke up back with this one, you know. So it's it's it's it's getting that love and that and that feeling that vibe that we have in our food. That's why everything tastes different here right right?
Speaker 2: Is there? Is there? Is there a well wait a minute, you have a cookbook. Yeah, I mean cooking for the culture. That's what it's called. What's one recipe from your book that that you think everyone should try?
Speaker 3: Ah? Can I steal too?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: One? And I have to pay homage because one with the gumbo because of the history. You know, it's not you know, I someone would think it was cliche. Why I love teaching gumbo to people, But it's really the history. When you find out it's a I feel like it's a lot like my life. I was a rags to riches person, so the gumbo is a rags to riches meal. Like. It started out on the tables of the poor and made its way to the tables of.
Speaker 3: The wealthy, you know.
Speaker 4: So it derived from scraps and it became this thing that people travel from all over the world to taste a real bowl of gumbo, no matter whether had gumbo. They're like, man, I want to go to New Orleans and get a bull of gumbo, and I want to get something Yay's like for real you know, you know, I would say the gumbo because of the history and you know, ancestors kind of thing. But if I said for survival for all people, I would say the Friday eggs and rice. It's so simple, Scott. It's like what you would call like what we call like because like one of the locals who saw me at my book released a couple of years ago, was like, girl, I can't believe you put fried eggs and rice in a cookbook like that, like worldwide, like because it's like a hood classic.
Speaker 3: It's something you do.
Speaker 4: You know, when you hungover, you don't have much money, you got rice, you got ags, you got butter, salt and pepper.
Speaker 3: Good, you know. So and my kids, it doesn't matter what I make them. I'm Scott.
Speaker 4: Them jokers will eat fried egg and rice over anything. You would think. It's like a luxury meal to them. So those are the two things. Affectionately, I would say, I would want you to try it first from the cookbook.
Speaker 2: Is there a certain kind of rice that's the most popular?
Speaker 4: No, just regular like Uncle Well in New Orleans we use a lot of Uncle bends, like parble old rice, So it's a little farmer it's not as soft, you know, so like that rice, as long as it's ice cold, you throw it in a pan like that and cook it.
Speaker 3: You good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, I love it. I love it. I love it. Is there a classic New Orleans dish that you know that you think is misunderstood?
Speaker 4: I would think I would go back to gumbo. People handle it like it's a soup, or like it's a stew, or like it's.
Speaker 3: Something they they don't.
Speaker 4: I feel like a lot of times it's it's misunderstood in a way of tradition. You know, a lot of random stuff I've seen being put in the gumbo and they're calling it a New Orleans gumbo. New Orleans food is one of the most pirated food scenes that I've ever seen. When I say pirate, like are like pirate. It's everyone claims it. Everyone does weird things and says that's a New Orleans gumbo. You know in New Orleans, you know they you know, people joke in other parts of Louisiana. They joke like we think we're a state of our own, but it's like, hey, our way is like living on Mars in comparison to New Orleans. You know, it's a whole new thing. It's different. Also historically, it's different settlers, so the food styles are different. So in New Orleans we have a specific way we do gumbo, you know, and I think it's misunderstood and changed way too much. I've even seen snow crab legs being put in gumbo like carrots, all kind of foolishness. Spot it's games, like motel games.
Speaker 3: It shouldn't happen, right.
Speaker 2: So you've you've been on many many cooking shows up what surprised you the most about being behind the scenes of one of those shows?
Speaker 3: What surprised me most.
Speaker 2: Was it the speed with which you had to prepare those dishes.
Speaker 4: How big the kitchens actually are because the shots, you know. And before this, I've been on sets because I started out in the art world doing poetry and acting, so cooking becoming a chef was something.
Speaker 3: That the universe forced on me, you know.
Speaker 4: But when it comes down to it, I didn't understand how much and how big the kitchens were. I remember on a full Network Star they had a scene where this guy, he made the other chef, maybe he was about six three sixty four and I'm five to one, right, So you can imagine what's going on. He's running with a sheet pan and I running the opposite way. I'm running right, I mean towards him, and I didn't pay attention to be to see each other. And he smacks me in the neck and the reason why I was running, and I got a scar and I was made a gift on Twitter uncomfortably enough, and I didn't realize how far that everything was away. So I had the full speed run in order to make the timeframe.
Speaker 2: So I hope you're okay. I hope you're okay. What's the most rewarding feedback that you ever received from a TV judge.
Speaker 4: That I was real that it felt like they really visited, like conversing with me even when the mice cut off, you know, which I feel like is the important time if you're doing anything on a set, when you're dealing with the people on set and stuff like that and other judges and stuff, those little moments really mean a lot that you could take away. And that was one of the things that them responding to me and telling me I felt like New Orleans to them, because it is hard work to remain yourself on television. You know when you're representing yourself to be authentic. It's hard work, especially when my colloquialism is in my vernacular, like all of that is kind of like this, you know, it's it's it it. You naturally want to bend and be hello today, I'm cooking this, and I'm cooking that, you know, and for me to randomly drop for yay, because that's how I speak in New Orleans, you know. So I think that was one of the things because I always felt like as an artist, my character was my currency. So that's the thing that's gonna get me a job. They got to They got many people who pretty and could stir a pot at the same time.
Speaker 2: And maybe city right, right right.
Speaker 4: I need my character to be consistent every show that I'm on, in every person that I meet, and having them treat me not just like a contestant, but look at me and think and tell me, you know, yeah, you're going somewhere mm.
Speaker 2: Hmm, your authentic self at all times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, you gotta be real.
Speaker 2: Yep. You've cooked on shows like Guys, Grocery Games and The Today Show. How's it? How is being a TV chef different from what the people picture when they think of a professional kitchen.
Speaker 4: Oh see, it's two different lines. I have friends who are actually like back of the house chefs, and they're like, tee, I could never do what you do.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't want to talk to people at all. I just want to cook.
Speaker 4: Right, It's a whole nother ballgame when cameras are swinging around you, you know, I think that's where my my thespian training came in to play worked out, and all of those things worked in you know, worked in my favor. But it's it's a lot different because you kind of have to know how to never show that the sky is falling. I've had times where the stove wouldn't work and I'm pretending to cook on live TV and even tasting as if Scott's stuff is done when it's not. So my thing is I don't believe in dropping a ball and showing sweat. I don't care how much. I don't care how it is in a room. You bet not drop drop a sweat, you know. So it's it's a lot tougher in a lot of like that, Like when you're cooking, it's almost like a breath hole when I'm doing things, even though I look effortless when I'm doing it. I don't eat or drink before filming because of those like my nerves can run so much no matter how many times I've done it, So it's a lot of bravery.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's one thing to let people taste your food, that's easy to me. But to display show and deal with the candidness of different personalities on camera, that's a whole nother dance and ballgame. And honestly, the last time I went on the Today Show, when I did the Other Hour with Jenna, one of the sound people complimented me when they were taking my mic off, and she said, I really appreciate how you pay attention to timing, you know, timing and knowing that it doesn't matter if they're moving too slow. As the host, I need to speed this up. I need to walz down because I.
Speaker 3: See them signaling. I'm always looking and thinking and looking and thinking. So it's a whole nother dance.
Speaker 4: You know of a lane we just kind of made up as an entertainment show.
Speaker 2: Let's get into a little Gilmore universe here, Luke Steiner, I'm sure you're aware, is famous for simple food and grumpy service. Which I am the author. If Luke hired you for one day to revamp the menu, what are you adding and what's the first thing you're throwing out?
Speaker 4: Man, gotta add gumbo, first thing.
Speaker 3: I'm well, gumbo and grilled cheese. That's a public school staple in the wallings.
Speaker 4: We eat gumbo and grilled cheese at school in public school systems.
Speaker 3: Also my Salisbury steak.
Speaker 4: Ah, that Salisbury's steak cuts like cake, its song. And the garlic mashed potatoes like the I like fight off vampires with my garlic mashed potatoes. Like I'm put literally a fistful a bruised garlic in the water when the potatoes are boiling.
Speaker 3: Okay, I would definitely add that.
Speaker 2: M you chomp up the garlic when you throw it.
Speaker 3: In halfway half.
Speaker 2: But I like chunks, okay.
Speaker 3: I like surprises.
Speaker 2: And you put it right in the boiling water.
Speaker 4: Man, I take it, I put it down, I pop it, and then I throw it in the water or sometimes I chop.
Speaker 3: It in your store.
Speaker 4: I like to see chunks of everything, okay, like and I feel like, especially if I sawtam some sautam and get them like brown.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you can get like a whole clothes with me. I really enjoy doing that.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, well it's the flavor. People feel love when they see chunks.
Speaker 2: You know what. That's a good point. Mm hmm, that's a good point. Uh. Was there like a Luke's diner in your neighborhood growing up? Place everybody went not just for food, but to feel, you know, connected with each other. The corner stores, the corner stores.
Speaker 4: Man the corner stores, you can get a plate of food for dinner, you can get breakfast, you can get a T shirt, you can get jumping cables, colognus. I'm not exaggerating, Luke play. I called you Luke, Scott. The fact that I called you Luke is hilarious. But Scott, if if I send you a picture it sends you a video of the inside of the corner store, you will fall out on the floor laughing. You were like, why is a bong in a corner store? Why do you have T shirts? What is this? Like? You can get like the tune up in a bottle for your car, like anything is in our corner store.
Speaker 3: So it's like a culture.
Speaker 4: You know. That's why in my book I did corner Store classics, because like everybody loves.
Speaker 3: The corner store in the wall, and you go there and you get to know the people.
Speaker 4: You get to know the panhandlers that's outside asking you for a dollar. You know, there's nothing about them. It's like, I ain't got us today.
Speaker 3: I ain't got us today. I got it tomorrow. Give me tomorrow. Like that's how cool you become with the people outside the store, you know. So it's it's that feel here.
Speaker 2: Another Gilmour question. You can throw a dinner party with any three Gilmore Girls characters. Who's coming and what are you serving? Who you're inviting to that you know who.
Speaker 4: The little the little girl who used to bully and annoy Rory the most.
Speaker 3: Paris Paris, Rory.
Speaker 4: And Laura I one I would like to I would like to get down to the bottom of I would like to unpack Paris to see, honey.
Speaker 3: What happened with you? Why are you like this? You know those type of people.
Speaker 4: I really as a person who helps and motivates people, I would like to figure out Paris right.
Speaker 3: And I would just like to observe.
Speaker 4: I would like to observe and to talk about the connection that mother and daughter connection that they have in general, because I have the same thing with my daughter. In fact, when the show released was right after I had my baby at sixteen.
Speaker 2: Really, my oldest.
Speaker 4: Daughter is is she just turned twenty six?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So you had her in two thousand, you had her in ninety nine or two nine and the show came on. Did you discover the show back then?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: I saw it and I looked at it and I thought, you got to realize, Scott, my whole life was rocked. That summer was the summer I got my first job. It was also the summer I got pregnant at fIF My sweet sixteen birthday was in Planned Parenthood.
Speaker 2: Your laure Lie Man New Orleans, laure.
Speaker 3: Lie, It's unreal when I saw it.
Speaker 4: I remember seeing it after I had her and thinking, I wonder if.
Speaker 3: That's how it will be like.
Speaker 4: But I was still sixteen, and I wasn't a regular sixteen year old.
Speaker 3: I was very reflective.
Speaker 4: That dramatically changed my life because I saw the know it all was knocked out of me, right, So I saw that my choice changed everyone's life. My mama dropped out of college, My sisters helped, like you know, my daddy went off shore. We're double time, like I saw. I just realized, Oh I thought I was just a nothing kid. But my nothing self made a huge choice that affected everybody's life. So maybe I'm not nothing. I need to pay attention that I may be something.
Speaker 2: You see fascinating?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so that was so it was crazy. Even when this interview came about, I looked at it and I thought, not, isn't that interesting, isn't that interesting?
Speaker 3: But yeah, I was sixteen.
Speaker 4: I was sixteen, and I was a parent, and it wasn't that funny stuff where kids still going to football games. No, I was at work, my mama did, my parents didn't play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right right?
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So that's when I mean, so at sixteen, you already had a year in with the corner store cooking, and so the cooking continued. It just continued.
Speaker 4: And no, it didn't because my dad quit for me because the person I got pregnant for what was there.
Speaker 3: I met there. So that's how that happened.
Speaker 4: And then I started working at a grocery store, and the cooking continued slightly because I would be bagging or doing things and I would eat these frozen dinners, Michellini dinners, or the banquets. I love guilty pleasure, love the cheap banquet dinners, like the Salisbury steaks.
Speaker 3: Man throw a little Tony's on.
Speaker 4: Top of that, you know what I mean, Like it's just a little season to kick it off, you know. So I would eat that, and what I would do is I would taste the meal and go home and mimick it because I can cook my taste. I taught myself how to cook when I was a kid. Interesting, both my parents can burn scott like they can cook, you know, so it was natural, but the cooking.
Speaker 3: My mama wanted me to go to culinary school.
Speaker 4: I went, and I dropped out, and then I started doing acting in theater and poetry and stuff like that, and I got deep abstract art that world.
Speaker 3: And then it wasn't.
Speaker 4: Until I was like it took me how many years to finish culinary school, like twelve a two year program, because I would drop in and out because I was like, I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to be in a kitchen.
Speaker 4: I want to be on stage, right, And I didn't know that food was going to be the vehicle to me getting on television, which was very interesting.
Speaker 3: So I just surrendered.
Speaker 2: That is fascinating, absolutely fast. So you could just you know, like a great athlete or a very gifted athlete youth can see a picture of somebody performing, like you know, hitting a home run, and they can just mimic that.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's tastes it's like well, and you could.
Speaker 2: Do that with food. You could do that with recipes or if you tasted something you knew how to recreate it somehow, yep.
Speaker 4: Or anything artistically that I can taste or process clearly in my mind, I can undo it and do it. I think that's honestly connected to me having synesthesia.
Speaker 3: I could see sound, so okay, my paint is it?
Speaker 4: My artwork is incredibly abstract, right, But like even my for instance, I could do that with food. But I was getting my fingers tattooed, and you know, anyone who gets tattoos know that this is the hardest part of the tattoo to get the ink to the stick. So I was watching the tattoo artist touch it up for like the third time, and I looked at him and I said, I bet if he rocked back and went forward. I bet if he rock back and went forward, it would stick. And I didn't want to tell them what to do because I'm sensitive around artists. So I did what most lunatics would do.
Speaker 3: I bought a.
Speaker 4: Tattoo gun and I tattooed my own fingers and it stuck.
Speaker 2: Look at that. You got it done.
Speaker 5: He saw it, and he said, man, you are crazy, maybe crazy talented crazy talented right, like anything, you just do it, just pick it up to it yourself.
Speaker 2: Do it.
Speaker 4: In my mind, if I could see it, or if I could smell it and think long enough, I can taste, Oh, this needs something earthy, like uh stage, you know, sage gets the gaming, or if you don't, if someone doesn't listening, doesn't understand the idea of a game. He taste it tastes like sometimes meat can taste like it's been running around for a while. That's exactly what it like like if we're running around for all while, you know, so well, get that out. You know you can find like a poultry blend. But like say you knock some of that running around tastes out, you know, so something earthy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That's the line of the day, right there. I love that. That. Oh god, it's so good now.
Speaker 4: Watch when you eat something that is a season well, you're gonna think, man, this really tastes like it's been.
Speaker 3: Running around for a while.
Speaker 4: You know that smell kids have when they come inside from playing outside.
Speaker 3: It's that tastes.
Speaker 4: Like if you have somebody like one time my daddy was being queaz Sometimes it was brown and ground meat without seasoning it, and everybody walked in the house mad that Sunday, like, who did that?
Speaker 3: You're not season that first, daddy.
Speaker 2: This is somebody who isn't gifted. Oh that's so funny. All right, here we go. If you were to come into Luke's Diner, what would you order and where would you sit?
Speaker 3: Country christ Stake and I would sit at the bar.
Speaker 2: Yes, hands down, Yes, make that connection.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's what the best conversations happened and the funniest stuff happened. I love being witty with the person behind the counter.
Speaker 3: It's Hilary's.
Speaker 4: You see the craziest stuff when people come up to order, or people just pop off and say ridiculous things.
Speaker 3: You can kind of have comebacks, like you know New Orleans.
Speaker 4: Like you can kind of porch talk at the bar, right, And that's what we do in Nu Orleans.
Speaker 3: Were quick with like one line of ans like right right right, people.
Speaker 4: Like you almost talk into strangers like you know, I'm well enough, you know, mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So that's what I like about the bar. I'm a bar kind of girl.
Speaker 2: Cooking for Culture is the book. You have other books, right, You have more than one.
Speaker 4: I have one other that I released first, cook like a New Orleanian. Cooking for the Culture is the very first book that I did where I got signed by a actual like it was like a publishing company, w W. Norton. So that's my latest one that I'm working on another one right now that'll be released next year, okay, and it has a lot of a lot of heavy hitters in it too. I really like doing cookbooks because I really like people to feel like they can provide for themselves.
Speaker 3: You know, food is like fight or flight.
Speaker 4: You need food to live, you know, you need fight or flight to survive the terrains of this land. So if I can take some of the edge off and give you simple steps with clear instructions, you know, I think everyone can cook. You know, I really believe that everyone can cook. I just think that a lot of us have encountered and grew up with food bullies, you know that do a lot of unnecessary critiquing. Oh yeah, I think in hiding recipes.
Speaker 3: You know, that's another thing.
Speaker 4: People will hide that macaroni and cheese recipe like they gonna cook it in the.
Speaker 3: Afterlife, right, you know. So it's it's crazy. I like this spill of beans with food no pun intended.
Speaker 2: All right, So everybody listen, go get Toya's book, Cooking for the Culture. More books to come. Pleasure talking to you, please come back. It was a blast getting to know you a little bit and how you do what you do. And I just want to thank the greatest fans on the planet for downloading. Keep the cards and letters coming. We need you, We love you. You know that. And where you lead, well we will follow. Stay safe, everyone, follow us, hey, everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.