Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reison Choice Media. Welcome home, y'all in Nashville, Tennessee. This is episode of Native lampod where we give you our breakdown of all things politics and culture.
Speaker 2: I am your host, Angela Rye, with two very special guest hosts, y'all.
Speaker 1: They're family to us, to this show, to me a little bias, but they are some of my favorites. We have Garrison Hayes. He is a multimedia content creator, a journalist.
Speaker 2: He's a retired preacher. We're gonna talk about that next time.
Speaker 3: Soon.
Speaker 1: He will join me and my good sister who I'm about to introduce. She's the host of joy Read, the Joyread Show and she's killing it. Joy and Reid is joining us, and we welcome Garrison to the side of the cussing Christians.
Speaker 3: Welcome home.
Speaker 4: Should I start cussing?
Speaker 5: Should I? I mean?
Speaker 2: You can wait?
Speaker 3: You can do it today?
Speaker 6: You know what?
Speaker 4: Out I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: We do bleep on the show.
Speaker 1: We have to, so, y'all, I'm gonna get into this rundown really quick. So with there's a protester who took over a press conference recently that was being held by the Madison, Wisconsin police chief following the shooting death of thirty eight year old Corey Ruiz. Republican Representative Nancy Mace, who I cannot wait for her to return to the private sector because she is still reaking havoc in hell on our community. She's introduced a resolution to race based caucuses, taking aim at the Congressional Black Caucus. The Senate confirmed Jay Clayton as the D and I chief, replacing Tolcy Gabbert. Of course, but does he believe that Joe Biden won the election in twenty twenty Why are we still talking about this twenty twenty six? Recently, Democrats make the historic decision to make South Carolina their first in the nation primary for twenty twenty eight?
Speaker 2: Is this good for the blacks?
Speaker 1: Joy read We gonna find out. Facts in fiction continue to swirl as tensions increasing. The Nolan Wells case a phone call his alleged friends made to Sito on the day of his disappearances, raising a lot of questions, and we have isolated audio for that. We're going to talk about all of that and so much more on this episode of Native lampod Welcome home, y'all. All right, so now it's time for your situational awareness. First up, we are going to talk about this tragic shooting in Madison, Wisconsin. Thirty eight year old Corey Ruiz was the subject of a police shooting. Of course, there's now an independent investigation going, but a police chief, the police chief, John Patterson, addressed a press conference, and there was a protester that was like, not on my watch, I'm reclaiming my time in this narrative.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and roll that clip.
Speaker 7: The Finnis of trust in the city right now did not start.
Speaker 8: Well, we can to shut this down. You can stop talking because we don't want to hear anything you've been saying. You're going to say the same thing you all say every time a black body gets shot down in this city. This is a corrupt city.
Speaker 9: That's right.
Speaker 5: Have no fear the anti Zionist here.
Speaker 8: Do you understand me? Won't be able to talk today because I'm gonna keep talking because I was born to talk my talk and walk my walk to I told these young people back here on our way here that we have the power, not that badge, not that weapon. We have the power. The city of Madison is corrupt, from the DA to the to the what's the name of us, the Department of Independent Monitorings.
Speaker 5: We don't want any any of that talk.
Speaker 8: You've ain't given us this speech with you'll deliver justice. Oh we've seen the cameras. We've seen it was a knife in this young man's hand. We don't want to hear that today. We didn't want to hear it when they put their neck on George Floyd's neck. We don't their foot on George Floyd's neck, and we don't want to hear it today. That's the What do you have to say about that? Oh, you don't get to talk.
Speaker 10: I said.
Speaker 8: That, give me this microphone, didn't excuse me.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 8: All to all people, zero power to zionists, zero power to capitalists, zero power to colonialism.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Carlos.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's my press conference now, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's that's that's strong man. That's strong to.
Speaker 1: Be a member of a tap I it is all no all power to all people.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, power to all people?
Speaker 10: Okay, can we get him on the ballot for twenty twenty eight?
Speaker 3: I think I found by President.
Speaker 10: I finally found my candidate. I'm excited get him to South Carolina.
Speaker 1: They have been protesting like consistently about this shooting death, and as a result of that, there's an independent investigation. They're now investigating it as a homicide. I think what's unfortunate here is so often we have to do so much just to be treated as human. And I think you saw some of that pain and frustration in his remarks because powerful we laughed a little bit, but we also understand that, well, we don't know how we would respond. Yeah, we're there with them in Madison.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. I mean, it's matter. But you know the thing that always stands out to me when you google Corey Ruiz and you're trying to find information about this, one of the first things that comes up is an article about this person's past history with the police, and these efforts to discredit and besmirch and change the narrative without answering the central question about whether or not this was justified. And obviously the community and those of us who've seen the video say no, this was not justified at all. This was wrong, and so that outrage is incredibly justified, right, that outrage is necessary, and hopefully it awakens outrage and other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, speaking of outrage and outrages, let's go ahead and tap Nancy Mason because she cannot help herself. She is still on BS because she doesn't know what else to do, and as she finds her exit ramp from Congress, she has introduced House Resolution fourteen fifty four because she does not believe there should be any race based caucuses. Y'all, I don't understand what their infatuation is with this. I can think of a gazillion caucuses I would like to see go Freedom Caucus, TEA Party Caucus, KKK Caucus, like they can go, But why are they targeting these Like the fact that she's like, let me find an on ramp with the Committee on House Administration to revoke and prevent the registration of cmos that's a congressional member organization.
Speaker 2: Y'all know.
Speaker 1: I take this personally because I am a former Congressional Black Caucus ED super irritated by this, because what this does is it would essentially defund like staffing capabilities.
Speaker 2: Members would no longer pay dues to these organizations.
Speaker 1: And while some people at home can say, well, they can still meet and figure out an agenda. Well, what staff is going to be in place to move forward with an agenda? Somebody else might say, why are you giving this any time? Well, I would not take it seriously if they didn't defund DEI and if they didn't ban our textbooks and other books.
Speaker 2: So, y'all, I gotta take this real serious, which y'all.
Speaker 10: Think, yeah, And I think that I have to blame the Supreme Court for this, because, you know, by destroying affirmative action, ending affirmative action and the attacks on DEI sort of opening up this idea that there can't be any race based solutions unless they are focused on enhancing the power and prestige and opportunities for white people. Essentially, what we're seeing in the United States is that white Christian conservatives are being created as the only protected class and every other protected class is being wiped out. This may not seem like it matters to the average person, but if you can't have a black caucus, a congressional black caucus, you soon won't be able to have a black interest organization at your high school or college. You won't be able to have a black interest organization or club. That's funded and that operates at your university. This is where this is going, this war on us and of course on all people of color, because she wants the Asian Caucus, Thispanic Caucus, all of it to go away. Is all about saying we can't organize amongst ourselves. Only white Americans can be protected by the federal government.
Speaker 2: And I think this is the other prior so y'all.
Speaker 1: At the end of her statement where she announces this resolution because it's so important to her, she says, we represent all of our constituents, not just the ones who look like us. If you do not agree, you should not be serving in Congress. It is time to end federally sanctioned discrimination in this institution. And for me, I'm just like you know, this actually isn't discrimination. To gather with like minded people who have similar districts and similar values. We have always called the CBC the conscience of the Congress, and it's interesting to me that she doesn't understand how the conscience of the Congress moves the needle on policy for poor white people, for poor indigenous folks, like there's a reason why there's a tricoccus, and they find things some policy issues to work on together. But I also will say family that this is why I also think it's very mission critical that we're not always like, well, this is irrelevant and why are we doing this and blah blah blah. Garrison and I are in Nashville right now, his lovely bride win in the world out from the National Virus Nociation Young Lawyer's Division just a few days ago, and last year joy I decided I was like, Okay, I'm going to come back home. It's the one hundredth anniversary of the National Bar. Instead of me criticizing on the sidelines, I'm going to get back engage. These are the things we have to do to add value to our orgs and bring our own gifts to the table. If we just are on the sidelines like oh it's irrelevant, well make us relevant, but don't try to give them ammunition the Edward Blooms of the world, the Steven Miller's of the world, the Nancy Maces ammunition to take us out. That's what I think has been done essentially here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to I agree.
Speaker 4: I think you have to look at the fact that this you mentioned, the National Bar Association just celebrated this year is one hundred and one years right, one hundred years ago, we were thinking about building institutions. We were thinking about building the infrastructure we needed so that twenty five thirty years later we could get things like the Voting Rights Act and we could advance civil rights in this country. And that is really the point in this moment, when we kind of tear down these organizations, in these institutions, we are being incredibly shortsighted around what it takes to actually build political power. We have to take that very seriously for ourselves. And I'm telling you, if you look at what Nancy Mays is doing, I can tell you so clearly. It's so clear she takes black political power seriously. The question is do we take black political power seriously?
Speaker 10: Come on, come on, preach out, amen, And to build on what Garrison has said, I think people forget that, you know, up until the twentieth century, the early twentieth century, when we had institutions and organizations like the NAACP and other interest organizations form the only place that black folks could organize within the church. There's a reason that so many and most of our civil rights leaders were pastors, because it used to be. We had to only organized in church. It was the only place we could be unsurveiled. So these institutions may not feel like they mean something to you in your day to day life, but building them is the way that we were able to expand our access to power. And that is what people like Nancy Mays fear. They don't want us to be able to organize in the open. They want to drive us back underground where they think that, you know, we won't be able to actually move policy.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: Enjoy speaking of modern day, Jay Edgar Hoover, please talk to us about Jay Clayton.
Speaker 10: So, Jay Clayton is a former at least at this point, they have somebody who's semi qualified.
Speaker 3: He's a former prosecutor.
Speaker 10: He is taking over as D and I from Bill Poulty, who is a real estate developer.
Speaker 3: If you've ever heard of POLTYE. Holmes, that's him. He's the heir to that fortune.
Speaker 10: And Donald Trump had to walk away from him as the new D and I because he's so unqualified. Even Republicans were like, it's to know. But the problem with the new guy, Jay Clayton, is that when asked a very direct question who won the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 3: He did the thing. He couldn't answer the question.
Speaker 10: John ASoft did a brilliant job of cornering him on this. But what it shows is that even if you have the minimal qualifications for a change to take this job, one of the new white men jobs that they are making available in the Trump regime, you still have to give Donald Trump his ego, his ego boost. You have to not admit that he lost the election in twenty twenty. And to me, as John Osof said in a job interview, if you can't answer that simple question, you really are not qualified.
Speaker 2: That's that. So we have the clip of John Ossoff.
Speaker 5: Who won the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm not going to do this with you.
Speaker 5: This is a job interview. We've established that you have an obligation to pretty honest and forthright with the committee. Yes, you do have an obligation to be honest and forthright with the committee. Yes, who won the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 7: Like I said, I'm not going to get into that with.
Speaker 5: You, but you do have an obligation to be honest and forthright with the committee.
Speaker 7: Is anything that I just said not honest or forthright.
Speaker 5: Yes, you're not being honest or forthright. Who won the twenty question? We can keep doing this, well, we're going to keep doing it because you're not being honest and forth right.
Speaker 7: I'm not going to engage in the theater.
Speaker 5: It's a simple question, mister Clayton's, and I've answered who won the twenty twenty presidential election?
Speaker 7: I've answered it.
Speaker 5: You're here asking for the support of senators to lead America's intelligence community. We've established that you have an obligation to be honest and forthright with this committee and with the American public. But you refuse to answer a simple matter of fact about the twenty twenty election. Is that right?
Speaker 7: No, that's not right.
Speaker 5: Then answer the question, who won the twenty twenty election? Answer it? What is your answer?
Speaker 7: I've given you my answer.
Speaker 5: What is your answer? You refuse to answer a basic question about who won a presidential election, but you asked to lead America's intelligence community. Isn't it humiliating to be unable to answer this question? To indulge the president's delusions? We know you know everybody in this room knows the truthful answer to that question. Why can you not give it.
Speaker 7: I think I gave you the answer.
Speaker 5: Are you aware that Director Gabbard was present at the Fulton County Raid in Georgia earlier this year?
Speaker 7: You discussed that with me yesterday in your office.
Speaker 5: Are you aware that Director Gabbard was present at the Fulton County Raid earlier this year?
Speaker 7: You brought it to me?
Speaker 5: What is going on here? You've said at the beginning of this you have an obligation to be honest, and the fourth year so with the committee, I'm asking a very simple question. Are you aware of a Director Gabbard was present at the Fulton County Raid earlier this year? Yes? Or no? Are you aware I was? You won't answer that question.
Speaker 7: I just said I was made aware of it by you yesterday.
Speaker 5: The first time you learned but Director Gabbard was president at that raid was in my office yesterday.
Speaker 7: It was the first time that in my recollection. I've thought about it recently. Now, what was I aware of it before? What you brought to my attention yesterday?
Speaker 5: I had not, So you had not known I had not.
Speaker 7: I had not thought about it until you brought it to my attention.
Speaker 5: Yet your answer is lack credibility. Your testimony lacks credibility. You're being evasive and you're not being candid or forthright. And everybody across the country is going to watch this and know that my wow, wow, the contortions that there.
Speaker 2: You ask you guys, But we got a new dance from that though. He's it what what we got it first?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 10: His was not that on beat off off ad app guy in either order twenty eight I keep on.
Speaker 3: Enjoy right.
Speaker 1: On all people app tap? What's the app tap tickets?
Speaker 10: So wild is that this is the performance each and every one of the nominees has had to do. You cannot admit that Donald Trump lost in twenty twenty and get a job in this administration.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 10: Donald Trump requires it for his ego because he's got dementia and he can't stand or handle the fact that he lost. They all have to do this performance. It's embarrassing and humiliating as alsof right, but they have to do it, and he got confirmed.
Speaker 1: Well, let me tell y'all something that we're proud of in this moment. HBCUs continue to rise in the face of all types of Nancy Mayce, types of ignorance, and Jay Clayton's uh. Coppin State University is doing something that's turning some narratives on its head.
Speaker 2: Talk to us about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Coppin State University's president, President Anthony Jenkins, shout out, has implemented a program offering in state tuition to students from states with no HBCU. So if you are from a state with no HBCU, you get to go to Coppin State, which is in Baltimore, Maryland. Am I right, Baltimore, shout out to Baltimore. You get to go there with instituition. I think, joy, you are in state? What do you what do you make of this?
Speaker 10: I think that is a wonderful thing because as we're seeing you know, DEI destroyed and black students sort of pushed away and shunned from a lot of predominantly white institutions, options are needed and good education is so important in order to get you know where you want to go in life. So proud of copp and State for stepping up, and I hope more universities will do it as well, because it's the affordability that's the problem. People don't go to People don't, you know, skip college generally because they don't care.
Speaker 3: It's because they can't afford it.
Speaker 10: You know, we just saw what happened to Howard University where lots of students couldn't afford to get pay their tuition.
Speaker 3: So big up to Coppon State. I love it.
Speaker 4: I think it's huge. And I'll say this, this kind of connects back to this CBC point right our institutions there. We are living in a time of like, you never know what you've got until it's gone, and we're seeing things being stripped away and leaving and then we're realizing, oh, there's value. I kind of came up in a time where folks were always questioning the importance of an HBO Oh do we even need it?
Speaker 3: You hear these.
Speaker 4: Conversations all the time, And now we're seeing nobody else is stepping up to make sure the black students have opportunities in this increasingly unaffordable America. But at HBCU is and that's why our institutions are important. So this is this is huge. Congratulations to copp and State and to all the students in Washington and Colorado and Wyoming who can now go and have.
Speaker 1: Instincts that is true. I will tell you all this too in California.
Speaker 2: In California, nobody on.
Speaker 1: And I will say, you know the other thing that is phenomenal about this to me, I always talk about mutual aid networks and there have been these different types of experiences and gifts and industries where you see we come together in our greatest time of need. So when people are about to be hurt the most economically, and HBCU is saying, we're going to still fill the gap. We don't have everything we need. We know that we're getting short change by our state and certainly by the Feds, but we're still going to fill the gap. And it's at a time where everything the cost is rising everywhere, tuition prices are rising period, and they're like, no, we're going to actually do the reverse. And I think that that says so much about real leadership and integrity in this moment.
Speaker 2: So shout out today, shaking of integrity.
Speaker 1: It's might not be some financial reparations, but it still feels like Democrats are like, Okay, well maybe the South got something to say.
Speaker 2: Joy read what they're doing.
Speaker 10: So the South is going to be speaking quite loudly in the twenty twenty eight primaries. South Carolina, which was the the sort of I guess, the defining state, the third state that would basically break the tie between Iowa and New Hampshire. The two super white states that were always first, will now be first in the nation. They will be first to hold their primary. Some people saying that that's not great for black power, but not everybody agrees with that. Some people are quite happy about it. A queue Tequila Johnson.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 6: Everybody keep asking, oh why Democrats don't invest in a Southern strategy, especially considering that fifty six percent of all black people live in the South, and that black people are the Democratic Party's most loyal voting block. And what I tell people is Democrats are afraid of investing in the South. Democrats are afraid of investing in and funding true black leadership, funding our media outlets, funding our black strategists, funding our black organizations, funding our black operatives, funding our candidates at the rights that they need to be funded at. Democrats aren't afraid of the South. They are afraid of black power and what that would do for their agenda. Make no mistake about it, White people gonna white people, even if they don't want to.
Speaker 3: Even the most well to do.
Speaker 6: White people sometimes can consider themselves to be a class above Black people, especially as it relates to political strategy. They feel like they built this system and they feel like nobody knows it like them. And as a Black Southern organizer, as a Black Southern leader, one of the things that I can tell you is it is a full time job to humanize black people in this work, to make sure that we're not just the number on the door sheet. To make sure that our culture is steeped in the organizing that happens here, To make sure that we're able to send a joy in the outreach that we're doing. To make sure that we're not just being funded to be a conduit of the party and go knock on doors when elections come, but that we're able to make sure people get fit and that their needs are men so that when election does come around, they know us and they trust us. Invest in black leadership if you want to win. We've seen what happens when you invest in black leadership. Are you ready to do it or are you still afraid of what you might have to lose if you uplift black leaders?
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, Tequila, John Nowjoy is like Okay, I got three people on my presidential ticket, so tequila. I Actually I'm kicking myself right now because I didn't even think about this. The equity alliance is based is killing it. And I think the thing that I love about what she said here is the not just the Democratic Party, but politicians, folks who seek office, folks who are frustrated about turnout and voter apathy. If they listen to what she said. She talked about meeting people's basic needs. And if you listen to that first, you cent her what people are.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 2: Are you hungry?
Speaker 1: Like your grandmama said, Like, ask people what they need. They're going to show up for you, especially us, Like we're just loyal. We're wired that waste in our DNA to be loyal. So anyway, I don't see how to South lose this.
Speaker 10: Well they I mean, so the upside that people are noting is that this is going to flood South Carolina with money because all the candidates have to come there first. They're going to stay in the hotels, they're going to use the local car services, they're going to eat in the restaurant. So this is going to be great financially for South Carolina. And because South Carolina's primary electorate is about fifty percent black, you're talking about having to appeal to black voters.
Speaker 3: And that is a good thing, right.
Speaker 10: The upside is they have to make a message, the Democratic candidates.
Speaker 3: That appeals to black voters.
Speaker 10: What people are saying the downside is, this is the Jonathan argument, is that it disempowers South Carolina because it's no longer the closer. It no longer can break ties between two white states. And the second way that people are claiming it produces black power is that now candidates don't really have to worry about appealing to black voters down the line. They can just make a message that appeals to the most moderate Jim Clyburn type black voters in the top and progressive candidates will just move on and go to Nevada and take their progressive message elsewhere.
Speaker 3: What do y'all think of that?
Speaker 5: Oof?
Speaker 4: I think it's a strong message. It kind of gets to some point that I made Election Night twenty twenty four. You know, I report on black political power. So I was talking to black voters throughout the entire cycle, and I kept hearing this thing over and over again that Democrats don't really care about black voters, and there's this sense that Democrats want to look at black voters as a base to mobilize, but not necessarily a base to persuade. And there is a huge tension around this idea of are you making a case to me or are you assuming that I'm already with you and just telling me to go out and knockdoors and get folks mobilized. And so I think that it speaks to this, and there's a real tension there. I'm hopeful that between now and when you know, we are getting that that in that in between times, folks like us, quite frankly, are able to amplify those voices and talk about this persuasively enough that people will go down there and take that political power seriously enough to persuade voters. You know, I just saw Stead Herndon interviewed Representative Clyde Burne recently and there was a huge discussion around some of the things. You didn't like it.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't like what he tried to do with him around chat GPT. I thought, stay doing some stuff I don't like. He need to come on the show because I don't know why I feel like every time I look around, he being used to like discredit or make a black elected official look crazy. And I just brother, don't do that, friend, Okay, go ahead, I just sorry.
Speaker 2: That's what I'll say.
Speaker 4: You know, I have I don't like, I don't have his strong opinions about Steed. I will say that some of the things that I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 5: I'm not here.
Speaker 2: Can you and be like, don't do that?
Speaker 4: Come on the show. We got questions, but let me just say this. Let me just say this. I will say that some of the responses from Representative Clyburn raised serious questions about whether or not they're they're taking seriously that people are not happy right now. It's not business as usual, and there needs to be an effort to persuade. And that's really my point, that the work of persuasion is necessary in this time.
Speaker 3: Joy I've had ye.
Speaker 1: What though, here's the only thing I'm gonna say. I want us to start being a little more practical about the percentages in difference on how we see policy. I think that Congressman Clyburn is talked about like he's this moderate, but he is very Jesse Jackson senior about ensuring that poor people have what they need, about ensuring like they get broadband access to the South. You got leak Joe Biden audio of them saying we got to look out for black folks in the South. But there are some other ways that he seems moderate because of his pathway to get those things. So it's the means to the end. It's not that there's a different end goal. And I also want to stress this part South Carolina. This could also be seen as a reward for South Carolina. When the rest of the South took on redistricting and our seats were lost, South Carolina had to pull that ish back. It was because of mister Cliburn's influence and the power of the protest So progressives and Congressman Clyburn came together for a common goal. And so I think that if we could do anything, I would like to flip that narrative on its head. We should be first because we are your foundation. There is no democratic party without black political thought, ideology, innovation. We should absolutely set the tone. You don't get to tell us that now we're not gonna matter, because we're not no tie breaker. Were not just the tipe we can be open and closed.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Well, please, wait, isn't the well?
Speaker 10: I think the other piece of it, too, is that I feel like black progressives have been erased in this whole conversation because what the progressive white progressives are sort of saying is well, South Carolina is the home of establishment black moderates like Cliberg. That's what they say, even though, like you said, this was a guy who has a young person, was a city and guy like he was actually fighting.
Speaker 3: It makes him a progressive right in jail, So he's a progressive, MG.
Speaker 10: But I also think that we've erased the existence of black progressives. Bernie Sanders' twenty sixteen campaign was Jesse Jackson's nineteen eighty eight campaign. It was the same platform, yeah and eighty four right, So Jesse Jackson was Bernie before Bernie, and so progressive ism actually was seated in the black community pro Palestinians.
Speaker 2: South Carolina, by the way, Joy, Oh.
Speaker 3: South Carolina, South Carolina. Hello.
Speaker 10: And so since we also have so Corey Bush who's now running as a black progressive in District one in Missouri. She's a black progressive. If you see what's happening in the state of Michigan where abdu lsied just got endorsed by an og black progressive named Bonnie Watson Coleman, who people forget that's another o g Like she's you know, bride or die about it old or progressive. So there are black progressives. I hope that this gives an opportunity for the South, the southern black progressive to stand up, because that's what people need to see is that there's a there's a range of opinions among blacks in South Carolina.
Speaker 4: And the thing I'll add to that, Joy, I think you're spot on. It also takes black people out of this position we are constantly put in the position of having to make a do or die, last minute, everything on the line decision for democracy. It takes us out of that. And I was talking to I mentioned this point recently in a video that I did with Charles Blow where he mentioned, like, I'm tired of black people being in this in between tiebreaker, you know, kind of position that were constantly put in. And I think this allows us to one express our truest, deepest black political power imagination, right like, like black voters in South Carolina get to set the pace. In so many ways, we get to say, actually, you know, maybe we wouldn't have chosen Joe Biden if we weren't in the necessary gotta do what we gotta do to make sure we get out of this kind of position. Maybe black voters would have chose someone else. Maybe you would see a more progressive vote coming out of South Carolina.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would have still chosen.
Speaker 3: Back Obama.
Speaker 4: But but really my point is, in this case, for real, for real, we have the opportunity or South Carolina voters have the opportunity to express something that's unconventional. Perhaps and it's whatever they want. Maybe they go with the moderate that's fine, but at the very least we get to express outside of the confines of hey guys, this is do or die, and if you don't choose the right one, everything falls apart.
Speaker 3: Think they would if the election was ill today, Oh Lord Jesus.
Speaker 4: Depends upon who's running. Obviously, if all of the hopefuls are running, I'm gonna say that Vice President Kamala Hairs still has an edge.
Speaker 2: In South Carolina and.
Speaker 10: South Carolina because she didn't and when she was running against Biden, because remember it was Corey Corey Booker and her and Kamala Harris and Biden and Biden beat both those those exactly.
Speaker 4: And I also think there's a real injury. I think people feel like she was something was taken from her and that she should have been present. And so in this moment, it's a different political, you know, moment. And I think Joe Biden obviously had the name ID and the history, and I think she kind of carries a little bit of that today. I'm not you know who knows right she carried it?
Speaker 10: Though? How much would that complicate the field, because now, you know, people are trying to say it's not it's a less powerful position. But think about how powerful Iowa has been for decades, all our whole lives. Now South Carolina's in that position, and suddenly the white media is saying, oh, that means it's less powerful since.
Speaker 3: What went Literally, we've been the most powerful.
Speaker 1: Barack Obama won the Iowa Caucuses and that made some folks, particularly in our community, say, oh, maybe we can't have a black president. Remember y'all, we had Negro saying yeah, black president. Country not ready for that, right, And it was we had the CBC was split between a President Obama and Hillary the Secretary of State, Hilary Clinton.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, we got some other news because y'all know, we can have a hale. We need to have a town hall on that. Maybe we go to the South and y'all let's go and talk to all people.
Speaker 2: Let's do that.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to be there.
Speaker 8: Nobody knows.
Speaker 1: So we also have seen a lot of news swirling around Nolan Wells, the tragic death of Nolan Wells. I got to see his family, Garrison enjoy at the NAACP. But I think we should get into like everything that's swirling around online and what we actually know versus what we don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good point. It's a lot of conversation online right now. The you know, one of the things that I love to see over the weekend was so many people just posting the name Nolan Wells, like we're not letting this fade away. And I think that's so important, So I'm glad we're talking about it. Audio engineer Janetta Brantley did some engineering on a phone call that was made to Cetow by some of Nolan Well's alleged friends. She did some cleanup on that audio so that you can kind of make out a little bit of what was being discussed in the background, and it is sparking a lot of conversation. There's also been reports coming out of TMZ and other sources about Nolan Well saying that he was drinking quote unquote heavily on the island, and that's been a part of the.
Speaker 2: Discussion prosecuting him after his death.
Speaker 4: So yeah, let's let's talk about that more.
Speaker 1: Angela, Why I think that one, I do think we should listen to this audio, but I think regardless of if he was drinking or not, those boys were all sitting in a picture with beer, all of them are drinking. If you listen to this audio, which I know we're going to do shortly, the dude, the young man, sounds like he's inebriated, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's just like, why are we talking about him. He died. However, he died.
Speaker 1: It's tragic and it is not his fault because he was drinking and like them doing.
Speaker 2: The same thing. It just irks me that we always are having to.
Speaker 1: Talk about what we did wrong that would have earned our death, and that is frustrating to me.
Speaker 4: As a black guys, should we listen to this audio really quick?
Speaker 3: Let's play that?
Speaker 11: Okay? So before I play this, I want to quickly explain what I did, what you're looking at on the screen, and why I chose to approach this audio the way that I did. As a professional audio engineer with experience and dialogue editing, dialogue clean up, sound design, and post production, I decided to work on that see to call using traditional audio processing techniques rather than relying on any AI voice separation or AI enhancement. My goal was pretty much to preserve as much of the original recording as possible while making the quieter dialogue and background audio easier to hear. And I specifically chose not to rely on AI because aggressive AI enhancements and voice isolation tools can sometimes introduce artifacts and distort the speech, or create ambiguity around the sounds that were originally present, and for something this serious, I wanted my processing to remain as conservative as possible. For this first video, I'm sharing only approximately thirty seven seconds of the call. I originally intended to continue much further, but once I separated the dispatcher from the boat and started concentrating exclusively on the background dialogue, what I believed I was hearing became extremely difficult for me to process emotionally. I needed to take a mental break, and so I'm gonna let the audio play. Read my read my transcription if you want a reference, but don't allow it to determine what you hear. I want you to listen first, listen again, compare with the original recording, and then judge it with your own ears.
Speaker 9: Okay, god, hey, we're the West tip of porn and h our billage stopped working.
Speaker 3: We're going, we're thinking.
Speaker 9: Can y'all please can we have I've never should look up.
Speaker 4: I believe that's it. So that was the audio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how she could hear it.
Speaker 1: Like for me, all I heard them say was, oh my god, that's the clearest thing I heard before he started yelling shut the f up at people. But the rest of that I can't make anything out. I know she had a transcript that she put on the side. I love to hear, but you all think I could just be hard at hearing, but I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't understand.
Speaker 10: I will tell you I wish that she hadn't put the transcript to it to be honest, because I you know, we played that same audio. We downloaded it from WLOX, which was the local Mississippi station that got the audio first, and so a lot of us downloaded that audio. We had our audio guy go through it without AI and just clean it up as an audio X. But we did the same thing, and we played it for Frank fin Glusey, who's a former FBI assistant director, and for Reva Martin and for Dina dol two attorneys, and we played it for them without a transcript and without telling them what they were going to hear, because I think when you see the words under you hear the words because your brain tells you that what you're reading is what you're hearing. And when I first heard this audio and this cleaned up audio that this sister did, and God bless her for trying to help with his case, I was reading the audio and so I now cannot unhear the.
Speaker 3: Words that she's saying. I hear every single thing.
Speaker 10: He's dead, they killed him, barred, shut the f up?
Speaker 3: Is he really dead? I hear all of it, but I'm.
Speaker 10: Now not sure I trust my own mind because I feel like the transcript and me knowing what I was gonna hear influence me. We play this for our staff. No one on my staff heard what I heard. I'm the only one who seems to have heard it. So I think this is playing with our emotions and our brain. At this point, we need and Frank Faglusey did say this the FBI if we had a real FBI cash, buttel ass need to get this audio, and they have much more powerful equipment than that sister who's a Hollywood editor has. We need to have a real cleanup of this audio. And I'm gonna say one last thing, and this is maybe some heterism Black folks.
Speaker 3: Since we home, we home, Can.
Speaker 10: We stop acting like Nancy Grace's presence suddenly solves the crime.
Speaker 3: That lady is not the.
Speaker 1: FBI Chad the way that people say gys crazy ass on the case.
Speaker 2: Now we're going to solve it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I went over, come on, like, let's stop with that. But anyway, didn't she.
Speaker 1: Play didn't she play audio that also has been authenticated on her She.
Speaker 10: Then yes, She then took that same cleaned up audio, she further cleaned it up to make it almost crystal clear that you're hearing those words. But I'm like, who did that? What is the authentication of that? And are you gaslighting us with giving us what we want to believe in hear? Because people don't trust them white boys. So I'm like, don't do that, because number one, you're setting a lot of content creators up to say things into camera that may not be true.
Speaker 3: We do not know what happened to this child.
Speaker 10: We all want to know that Mama deserves answers, but this is not giving her answers or comfort. What this is doing is sending all of us down a path that may turn out not to be true. So I do not trust their story either. There are a millionions of holes in these stories. I think giving that interview to uh, the black black copper copper, whatever his name is, I keep saying his name is Officer Remis, and I don't.
Speaker 3: Know why I can't. I want to call him.
Speaker 10: My mind tells me because I got menopause, I'll be calling him.
Speaker 1: Remus or Ruckus or nearest who knows who knows at this point?
Speaker 2: Or Thomas.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, speaking of Thomas, we do have a listener question. Who is asking something about your Supreme Court?
Speaker 4: I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Found my best, you know, funt of.
Speaker 1: Money out here. But we have we have a question about the Supreme Court. We're going to answer this and then get in the cause dash because Joey got a guy. She got a shout at you too. That's what the question.
Speaker 2: Hey again, Native Land family.
Speaker 12: My name is Janiary Turner and I am in the Atlanta area and my question is about the Supreme Court. So every time that a goes to the Supreme Court, I get nervous and very anxious because of a lot of the judges that are on the Supreme Court. So my question is what is it going to take or what needs to be done to remove some of the people on the Supreme Court. And do you all think that that's even a possibility. I think that there are a lot of things that are unethical that our Supreme Court justices are doing, some of them more than others. And I will just say I like it better when the city girls get fleut out instead of a sitting Supreme Court justice. So and I miss you on the shell, Tiffany by.
Speaker 1: Y'all shout out to tiffing them books. She's working hard out here too. So I love this question. Just from a historical standpoint, just to disappoint this a little bit, that only just this of the Supreme Court ever being peached is Justice Samuel Chase. Associate Justice Samuel Chase in eighteen oh five. Doesn give us a lot of hope. So it might not be too much removing, especially in this environment. But perhaps we can add some That's what our good friend Ellie missed Out says often that maybe we can just add some seats to the bench. And of course I would support that. And then Claire's can go at any time, anytime, at anytime, because.
Speaker 2: He is busy getting fluid out. He is the certified Supreme Court.
Speaker 3: Huci he for sale? No, he for sale? Say oh, it's crazy.
Speaker 10: He does work for free for a billionaire who is sort of the equivalent of a plantation owner.
Speaker 3: Just say it.
Speaker 10: But anyway, let me say this, I have a devious plan to change the Supreme Court that will help assistant. Okay, can I tell you my plan? This is my fan not that's my dog walk around background, it's not okay. I think that if the Senate were to change hands and they were to pass a rigorous, you know, ethics requirement for the Supreme Court. This is the AOC bill that's not made its way through the House, but if it were to make its way through the Senate, that would ban any gifts to Supreme Court justices, ban them taking free trips, ban them from benefiting financially from their position, ban their spouses from benefiting financially from their spouse's position on the Supreme Court. My suspicion is Clarence Thomas and Alita would resign immediately. I think they would leave because they want to live rich. Their living foul and they want to keep doing it. That's one way to push them out. And then the second piece is the Eli Mastall piece. Add four more justices and just drown their votes out. If there were four more justice there are thirteen districts that they administered. There should be thirteen justices. It should have been done long ago. They have too many cases. They're doing too much in the shadow docket, meaning they don't actually do a public hearing. So I think add for more justices and a strict ethics rule. You'll drive two of them out and and then over and then just overtake them with votes.
Speaker 2: Now, how they don't have stricter ethics than the president of these United States who regularly violates themoument, Wake up, I don't know that we're gonna be able to do that.
Speaker 1: The other thing here, I don't really want to add seats right now because your guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's hold that thought.
Speaker 4: Maybe this is why, Angela, it matters who you vote for. Got you gotta vote some folks in who are pro democracy.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: You gotta have all three branches of the government and or the House to send it in, and of course the presidency, and you do all this stuff and then stuff.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, don't do it yet, don't do it because they need to Trump need to stay alive, and they two need to stay alive. We want Alito and Thomas to stay all the way through Trump's term. We need a Democrat in the White House when all this happens.
Speaker 3: Amen, that is true.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, on that note, you always calls to action.
Speaker 5: Who cares about truth when the.
Speaker 13: Last morning seated.
Speaker 2: This is how we in our show.
Speaker 1: We like for our listeners, our viewers to go from here and feel called and compelled to do something. So Joy Reid, I will start with you, since you have a show to do.
Speaker 10: Yes, So my call to action is particularly for voters in my former state of Florida. Florida, you still have time if you have not registered to vote and you have not taken interest in your primaries. There's some diabolical bullshit going on in the great state of Florida. We must take action in these primaries. In Florida twenty there are eighteen hundred people running, including Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who as a carpetbagger. You must stop her. It's important that we keep that seat in the hands of an African American because that is where that seat was drawn. And then in Florida twenty four you've got some shenanigans. There are too many people running. We have to discipline ourselves to take our power in the primaries. So please take your power in the primaries in Florida. Also in Missouri's first district, please get Corey Bush over the line. It sends a message to these big interests if you defeat their candidates. So I am rooting hard for Corey and I'm rooting for anybody black in Florida District twenty. That's what I call to action. Please get in these primaries and vote.
Speaker 2: I love it. Garrison.
Speaker 4: Okay, we are in Tennessee. Tennessee is Tequila Johnson we played earlier and her colleague Charlene Oliver, who both started the Tennessee Equity Alliance, say this all the time. Tennessee is not a red state. It is a jerry mandard state. It is a low voter turnout state. We have early voting happening right now across the state. I'm looking specifically at Tennessee's ninth congressional district, where our friend Justin Pearson is running, and I am encouraging everyone my call to action. If you live in the great state of Tennessee, are you registered vote? Have you asked the people in your life to vote? If you're in District nine, vote in the primary, send a message that you're paying attention, that you're locked in. So you know, we are less than one hundred days out from the midterms, and so all of my calls to action will be around voting and getting ready to vote.
Speaker 2: The SNOW member, I love it.
Speaker 1: My call to action is first, I just want to give a shout out to my friend Charlie Stanberry, who won president of the National Bar Association. We worked on Capitol Hill together CBC Family for Life. Turns out we are a little relevant around here. So I just want to shout out, she won and she understands the assignment, and so my call to action for you all is to understand the assignment. There are little things that we can do to make our organizations more relevant, stronger, developing a foundation where they can actually build capacity and infrastructure. It costs thirty dollars to join the NAACP. Thirty dollars, not thirty dollars a month, not thirty dollars a day, thirty dollars for the year. I would encourage you all to really think about if thirty dollars is gonna cause you harm when you know you're paying that every month to Netflix a paramount or Stars or whatever else to be is free. But me and joy Watch two be every now and then. Don't judge us, but there are a number of subscriptions that you have in your life that costs more than that. This is an annual fee of thirty dollars for my lawyers, my black lawyers at home that are seeking to be the social engineers. The Charles Hamilton Houston challenge us to be considered joining the National Bar this year. Associate members are one hundred dollars. Pre laws one hundred dollars. I will sponsor anybody in law school right now. You want to be a member, not all of y'all, just one, just one.
Speaker 3: You gotta find your money.
Speaker 4: I'll sponsor another.
Speaker 3: About I like that good job, Gearson.
Speaker 2: Your wife is gonna be proud. She want that award. And you said, I'm putting my money where my mouth is.
Speaker 9: That's right.
Speaker 1: Retired folks won twenty five practice in less than five years one to twenty five practice and more than five years two fifty government, nonprofit lawyers, two fifty judicial two fifty and life memberships are five thousand dollars. That's a lot, but you get a discount on your registration fees. Shout out to my discount on this year's registration fee with six ninety nine instead of a thousand on site.
Speaker 2: So it's working over time.
Speaker 1: My only point is you can pay into something that is going to protect you in the long run. We have to be in survival mode. We got to be in protection mode so we can get that thriving mode. And we can't do that outside of our institutions, especially for we're withholding our gifts only to share our criticism.
Speaker 2: So that's my call to action. I'm grateful to you offer your time. It's an amazing Wait.
Speaker 10: Wait wait, so sister Jackie have assistance.
Speaker 3: JAT. I have to call Jackie because you know I got to get Yeah, I'm like, she's not here.
Speaker 2: Joy, Since the.
Speaker 3: Angela, Since the Angela.
Speaker 10: I will also sponsor on behalf of my baby cousin who is a warhouse man just up a Howard Law School graduate, So I will sponsor one on one?
Speaker 4: Is there?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 5: Is there?
Speaker 4: One? Is there for one?
Speaker 1: So there's three three got y'all, So you guys make sure you reach out to it at Native lampod on social enjoy Garrison and I got y'all. Now, please don't start sending us all your go fundme links, So we're gonna get this one membership. And I do want to remind you all to leave us a review and subscribe to Native lampid. We are available on all podcast platforms and YouTube. You can follow us on social media and substack or check out native lampod dot com. I'm Angela Rye alongside my very special co host today Garrison Hayes.
Speaker 2: Enjoy read Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: There are ninety six days only until midterm elections.
Speaker 13: Let's go Welcome home to the Native landing on the podcast face that's and for greatness. Sixty minutes is so hit, not too long for the crave shit, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it. Then got chested. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it. So get invested. Cross the t's and doctor IDs, kill them, got them ass sellers staying on business with why you could have been anywhere, but you trust us. Native lampod is a friend that you can trust.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is the production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Reizent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visits the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,