Speaker 1: Hey, hey, Hey, am back and we're back. I wish you could see my shoulder prop right now, Mandy.
Speaker 2: I've felt it in your voice so like she's shoulder popping.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: It's a freaking weekend, baby, I'm about to have me some family friendly fun events having We have a lot of stuff. We have our well, my new cousin, he's my cousin. I'm just considering it. My cousin's having a housewarming and Yonkers, beautiful exotic Yonkers. Actually, he and his wife shout out to Denny and Ysa are like our biggest fans, Like they know more about me from the podcast. Like if I have a message for them, basically, I should give it to them in the podcast because they're always like, oh man, so hi, they're doing a housewarming and they are a little boy he just turned two years old, as like the most adorable little golden nugget ever. His name is Santiago. I'm putting all their business out there.
Speaker 1: I know, sad name is so adorable too, Like I could just see, hey, Santiago, I know, we.
Speaker 2: Call a little santi And they have number two on the way.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: So it's about to be a full house and he'saa, like I could gush about her forever. She's like a badass high school principal. She actually is a principal downtown. I'm putting all her business out, but I don't care. One time I had dinner with you, Sora, and she's like, you know, uh, She's like, I really want to night with the girls. You know, let's go to this great taco place in my neighborhood. And we all met up and suddenly she's a little bit older than me, and suddenly I was at a table with like four principal superintendents. It was like the most trippy experience of my life. Like you really, as you're old, when you're like having dinner with someone you used to fear.
Speaker 1: Oh right, it's like all of these people who had the power to put you in attention. Yeah ye, Sor you know, Mandy needs it sometimes.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, two babies. I can't even thaw them one.
Speaker 1: I know. Whenever I see people with like their kids, especially if I babysit or whatever, and then I go home, I'm like, oh my god, they don't get to go home. This is home.
Speaker 2: They don't get to get that baby back.
Speaker 1: I know, it seems like so much. I mean, that's why they make God makes babies so darn cute. Because just when you're like, I can't do this anymore, the baby looks like looks at you like, yes you care, look at this face? No?
Speaker 2: But do you know what I And maybe I'm a negative Nancy, but do you know what I always think about when I see how much parents like, see parents gushing over their babies and whatever. I always think, But but that baby's gonna hate you in like fifteen years. That baby's like gonna be a little brat and like it's gonna wreck the car and stay out too late and like miss their curfew. Then they're gonna be like thirty and they're gonna start trying to boss you around about your health and what you do with your life, like I did with my mom. Sometimes my mom, I'm like, why do you like me? I'm such a brat.
Speaker 1: She's like, I push you out, so you know we've got a bond.
Speaker 2: Yay to Mommy's right. Yes, And then we have a surprise birthday tonight, and then tomorrow one of my one of my really dear friends from Nebraska is visiting the big old city in New York.
Speaker 1: Have they ever been to New York before?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Thank god, because that means I'm not going to end up doing like the you know, Times Square and all that kind of stuff. I'm always I'm here for friends when they visit, for all the meals, like I'll meet you for brunch, for dinner, like I will be your meal tour tour guide. I'm down for that. But first, first, first mention. I hear of Statue Liberty and I'm like, out the door, here's a camera buy Yep. So it'll be it'll be a packed weekend, but fun.
Speaker 1: So I've got some news, but I'm hesitant to share it because I'm like some of some of our podcast listeners. They might know Superman. If you do, you have, you had better keep your mouth shut if you know Superman. So I was talking to Superman the other day and I was telling him one of my really great friends, Madeline. She's got this business called traveling mad and she travels all over the world and once a year we don't even like we live in the same town, but we never hang out. But when it comes comes to travel, like that's like my favorite travel buddy. So she hit me up the other day was like, paytive, it's time for our birthday, you know trip. We usually go in October because we're both born in October, you know, and so she said, you know, let's go. We're thinking between Thailand or Iceland.
Speaker 2: And two very different lambs, I know.
Speaker 1: So anyway, she texted me and I was telling him. I was like, oh, Superman, you know my birthday trip this year is either going to be Thailand or Iceland. And he was like, you're gonna be away on your birthday and I was like what he was like? He was just looking so disappointed. I was like, no, no, no, no, We're gonna take it later in November because that's the time she has off from work. He was like, oh, he looked so relieved, and you know, me, Nosey Wolsey was like in my mind, I was like, but I did say anything. I just thought to myself, that seems curious. And then this is like put the nail in the coffin. I'm like, trying to not talk too loud. The Superman is in the other room. So last night we were talking and he was like, you should have a party this year for your birthday. Randomly mean while I'm turning thirty seven, cause like thirty seven, that's not And I was like, why, Like it's not it's not a major milestone birthday and I don't ever have birthday parties. He's like, you should just have a party. You should bite everybody. And I was like and it took me a moment. I'm all slow, and I'm like, I don't know. Then I was like, wait, I think I might a you know what that means. So I'm not gonna say that loud because I'm just claiming it internally.
Speaker 2: That knock on some wood, Yes, da knock. He's like, wouldn't it be cool if you just had all your family friends and all your loved ones all around you in a circle, and like if you were really nice dress and got your nails done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then if you don't go away on your birthday like you normally do in your home. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I was like, look, yeah, you got too big. I had no idea what was coming, man, you have two big like two big signs.
Speaker 1: I know. I think that he thought that he was giving like slick signs because I was looking because I'm like, what is he talking about? When do you care that you know I'm not home on my birthday because I always go away like usually on my birthday during the week, you know, because he's not big, big, big on traveling. So I'm like, since one is he? Oh so I already got a cue up, queue up the best friend, Like, I'm gonna need you to make a phone call because I don't want him to do this alone.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean, I just though that's what I did. I put my friend, I put I gave my my confidante a Pinterest board with my what I liked, and I was like, you now have the key to what much to what I need? Deliver it unto him when he asks me.
Speaker 1: You know, I was like, do you have Drenda's number? Dream his number? I don't ways dream that. Here's it. Just call me, okay, just check it in on you.
Speaker 2: So she may have already been in talks with them.
Speaker 1: You never know she would have told me.
Speaker 2: But here's my advice to you. Stop looking for stop stop looking for signs now. Because I really wanted to be special and I almost ruined it for myself a couple of times by bye, by like fake snooping, like I'm not really snooping. His computer's just so open. I'm just gonna see. I'm just gonna check my email on his computer. It's closest to me, so it all makes sense. And oh it's emails up. I'm just gonna sign out. Oh my eyes just passed over that night now.
Speaker 1: But you know, I know, right, I know, because it will be terrible for like, I mean, I know he wants me to be surprised on my birthday. Well look at me. I'm all claiming it, like yeah, girl. Meanwhile, my birthday will come and past, and I'm like, so I had a party, Mandy, it was great. I got a Teddy Bear.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh man, He's got to know that though every holiday for the next year, you will be some part of you will wonder if it's gonna be it, and then yeah, we'll get it over with. No right, put it out of misery, superman.
Speaker 1: I know, come on, so we can move on and make this baby happen. You know that.
Speaker 2: I want to segue because did you watch the DNC this week any of the speeches.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie no, because I don't know my spirit. I know my spirit was rocked with what I did see of the RNC, and I was just like, I'm gonna take you No.
Speaker 4: That was the perfect cure for your RNC blues. You didn't watch Michelle's speech. I didn't watch Obama's speech or I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna watch it later because I was just like I was over politic that. I was like, I'm gonna take a break from politics.
Speaker 2: I'm not like if any of you guys are feeling the racial syndrome, what is that fatigue that aquila, you know, racial discussion, disease fatigue or whatever. This will get This will give you back the life that you've lost Like this, and it's not just the face, So you have mean a Michelle Obama opened up the convention on Monday, was like, what is going to go down in history as one of the most extraordinary speeches in Florida's history.
Speaker 3: That is the story of this country, the story that has brought me to the stage tonight, The story of generations of people who felt the lash of bondage, the shame of servitude, the sting of segregation, but who kept on striving and hoping and doing what needed to be done so that today I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves, and.
Speaker 1: I watch my.
Speaker 3: Daughters, two beautiful, intelligent black young women, playing with their dogs on the White House lawn and be And because of Hillary Clinton, my daughters and all our sons and daughters now take for granted that a woman can be president of the United States. So look, so don't let anyone ever tell you that this country isn't great, that somehow we need to make it great again, because this right now is the greatest country on earth.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's amazing. And then I mean, of course President Obama gave a stellar speech. I think that was on Wednesday, But it wasn't even just the famous people. It was there is a man, a Muslim man who gave a speech. And so he's standing there and he's talking about his son who's Muslim and fought and fought on the side of America in the Iraq War and died in two thousand and four. And he just gave this incredibly moving speech. And he, you know, talks to Donald Trump and he's like, you know, at one point he asked, have you read the Constitution? I can give you a copy of mine. It talks about liberty for all. And it was such just like the answer to all the hate and all the fear mongering and all the lies that we've been hearing on the other side, like just so good. And then there was performances Alicia Keys, Lenny Kravitz, Andre Day did rise up telling you it was it was good stuff. And then of course Miss Hills won the nomination, and then that was like historic moment and it's in and of itself, yeah, for sure. And in that fly little white suit.
Speaker 1: Did you see the there was like a meme that was hilarious. It was like it was a little white Boy. It's a cartoon of these three kids standing side by side, a little white boy, and underneath it says, I know I could be president, and at the bottom it says since seventeen sixteen, and there's a little black boy in the middle, I know I could be president, and at the bottom it says since two thousand and eight, and then the little girl, I know I could be president since yesterday. And I just thought that was like, wow, isn't that so crazy?
Speaker 2: It took forever? But I'm so, you know what, forget what I mean. I'm actually like I am team Hillary, but I and you know, I hear all the haters and like whatever, but like you just have to sit back and appreciate the moment, like first woman in history, not just to be to be and you know she could be the first woman president, but just the fact that she was nominated the first to be nominated for president for people to say you are worthy of being president, and she had to work harder than any like is her Like, come on, I love Obama like everyone else, huge Barack Obama fan. I voted for him, but like her resume, like and he even said it during his speech, she is more qualified than he is to be president. And it's true. And it's crazy that she's sort of you know, punished almost for her for the breath of her experience and the breath of her time in Washington and you know how long she's been a public servant. But you just can't knock her resume, like give her some respect.
Speaker 1: And also too, you know they knock it because she's not It's so crazy because she was like this like super smiling, hey girls, kind of girl like it's almost like people don't people are like she doesn't smile less, she's not as warm, but if she was warm and super smiling, you'd say she's not serious. Yeah, and since when the women have to smile and make you feel good? Like I hate that girl smile. I know I have resting bitch face. Take it.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Hillary that just stuff rolls off her pants to shoulders, like she has probably heard that her entire life, right, I feel like she can take it, like she she's heard all the sexist remarks. She's been the only the only woman in the room. She's been on Capitol Hill, like she's been the wife, you know, watching her husband cheat on her the public eye, like she's been that. She's been everything. She's been the grandmother, she's been secretary of State, Like what else do we want from her? Give her the job? But I there was one moment everyone started talking about, you know, cross apart from the speeches. But so it is, you know, Milanio Trump, Malania Trump, you know how she was found to have plagiarized Mama Michelle's speech. Right, So Milania Trump, if you don't know, if you're living under a rock, basically gave her big, her big potential floatus moment and gave a speech about how she you know, was an immigrant and you know, the American dream, and turns out she plagiarized like a big chunk of Michelle Obama's speech from two thousand and eight or whenever, the before Obama was elected. Anyway, Milania was wearing this like very you know, all white, kind of puffy sleeved supermodel dress. And what don't you know, at the end of the convention, this representative from Ohio, Representative Beauty don't forget her name, Representative Joyce Beauty of Ohio, gave her own speech in support of Hillary, wearing the exact same dress and represented just to paint a picture, she is a beautiful black woman of a certain age with glistening like glowy silver, salt and pepper hair, perfectly curled with pearls and pearl jewelry and just like pearl earrings, looking fabulous and wearing the exact same dress that Milannia wore. This like super you know, more traditional like supermodel type woman. And then after this speech she's like, oh, did Malania wear this? So I didn't realize, ah, And she said, but you know, I think she said something like my husband brought to me, so I decided to wear it.
Speaker 1: But you know, when I spoke, I use my own words. I I said, if you don't read, don't count for these for these silver Fox women, they will read you, honey. I was like, yeah, that part I did see.
Speaker 2: Oh you saw that part. There was a I posted this. I'm gonna post on the group too, but there was this l that's kind of like he's like the male version of awesomely lovey.
Speaker 1: Okay uh.
Speaker 2: Eric Thomas, he writes for l dot com. Don't ask me how. He's like a comedian anyway, he wrote the most hilarious, hilarious like lovey style post about this moment and like how the shade was real, like all the memes, like like Mariah, when Mariah that infamous Mariah line when she's like talking about Jennifer Lopez, I don't know her. She's like, I don't know her.
Speaker 1: Oh Mariah is the shade, oh weed, oh her, I don't I don't know her. And she said, but I mean, like I know of her, but that's not what you ask I don't know her, yes, Mariah.
Speaker 2: And then and last but not least, when finally Hillary wins and this like avalanche of balloons falls down and none other than Bill Clinton looks like a child at Discovery Zone at Chuck e cheese, like the expression on his face, kicking them balloons and there's just one. There's just one gift of him, just like lightly. He's like he's trying to play with the balloons without making it, without like actually like trying to. He's like, Oh, I'm just there, gonna see me, but we like I'm just gonna like push its balloons in the air. But he's having like the time of his life.
Speaker 1: Ah, it is very, very silly.
Speaker 2: He's kicking the balloons and oh, he just looks. It looks like he looks like he became president. He's already done it twice. Ah Bill Billy Billy. Anyway, if you guys go just go to YouTube watch the speeches. At least, I mean, like make at least watch Michelle's. I mean, okay, we owe her that much. It'll make you it'll make you cry for the fact that she's leaving. I miss sir as much as I support Hillary. I'm just so sad that they're leaving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they need their life back. I can only imagine.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she's like, get me the hell out of here, right, I just want to with the windows rolled down, you see how they.
Speaker 1: Try to come for their oldest daughter, talking about she skipped it to go to Lallapalooza. She skipped the DNC.
Speaker 2: Oh did she so?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Child?
Speaker 1: First of all, all the all the former Republican presidents skipped the RNZ as well as all these other people have know she's eighteen. She doesn't need to be there. He's not running.
Speaker 2: I'm sure. She was like, I'm an adult, so I'm gonna choose. I'm gonna make a conscious choice to unchoose this DNC. Bye, guys, Yeah what Yeah, some people are just crazy. I'm glad she's like living a normal life.
Speaker 1: What was that noise?
Speaker 2: Oh did you hear that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Something to sorry? Just I put on a website and started playing, Oh crap, I'll edit that out my bad auto play kamos. Anything else in the news, Just.
Speaker 1: Some silliness by little bow Wow. I posted on my own page throwback. Yeah, so a little bow Wow in all his ignorance, he did an interview I forget with who, but he said that he cannot relate to those civil rights movement and to the ills that people of color are facing. For those of you who don't know, Little bow Wow used to be like a rapper back.
Speaker 2: In many of you may not know right for real.
Speaker 1: Because he's he was literally when he was a rapper, he was like eight nine years old. But now he's like on bt as like a host and stuff. But google a little biral. He was totally adorable. He was like a protege of Snoop Dogg, which I hope you do know. And so anyway, he says, even though he is clearly black and like not like like black, like brown skin black, like no, you cannot mistake him for something other that he does not relate to civil rights movement or the trouble that black people are facing right now because he is and I quote mixed. So I was like, oh, that's weird. So of course black Twitter commenced to dragging him, dragging him. I just looked black dragging him, and they dragged him hard and long and one thing, so I wrote, I usually I don't write like shade on my personal page, but I saw this funny quote somebody wrote about him, so I had to share it, and it was don't shoot I mixed dash little ball like a little we don't sit your black behind down, like just don't you don't have to say anything. I don't understand why people don't get that. You know, you don't have to say anything. Yes, you have freedom of speech, but it doesn't mean you have freedom from consequences. So he is the new Raven Simone and it was kind of giggly, and actually that leads me into what I'm going to take for my brown break.
Speaker 2: Well, let me just quickly say, they do not speak for all mixed people. We do not. We don't own him. We're gonna trade him for someone else.
Speaker 1: Nobody wants a little bow. We're like, we're trying to figure out which team in the Black Sit that we should send him to because we don't want to him and Raven Simone package someone else can happen.
Speaker 2: Did you see the black Seit movement hashtag black Sit. Yeah, it's like the if all black people just exited America, It's like you should go. It's like I just all post on the blog, but it's on the on the Facebook page, but it's twenty one things we're taking with us if we leave. It's like Beyonce, duh yuh, the Obama's the word fleak, He'll degrass Tyson and the Whip Ane Rhythm soul food, Hot Sauce, Oprah Cornrose, Gospel music, Will Smith, Woman's Voice, Shondaland Yes, Shondaland, oh man, that's funny and then awesome, we love you took it even further on her site, which if you just like want the double whammy love love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love lovely Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I heard you do on the show.
Speaker 1: I know, and I just missed her. So yesterday I spoke at I spoke at a Black Girl's Rock has summer conference for young women of color called Black Girl's Lead, And so for the second time we spoke, Like when I first met Lovey. I met her last year there and she hit me up. She was like, oh man, I just missed you by an hour. So she spoke an hour after me. But I spoke yesterday and it was pretty awesome teaching. It was like one hundred and sixty something young women of color some basic personal financial things and it was fun, a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, Well, we usually do this later in the show, but I want to We're gonna answer questions later in the show, but I want to do my little call out now while you're still listening. Do you have questions you want us to answer money or career wise. You can send us an email at Brand Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com and you may hear your question on the show.
Speaker 1: So do you want a brown break? Are you going to brown boost?
Speaker 2: I am going to give a boost this week.
Speaker 1: All right, So I'm gonna do a break, So I'll go first. That way we can get out of the get the bad energy out of the way.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I had posted on Afraid, No, No, it wasn't anything crazy. I posted yesterday that I was super excited to be speaking at Black Girls Rocks summer camp for girls Black Girls Lead, and you know, and most people were like yes, girl. And then a high school friend. So I went to the majority white high school. And when I mean majority, I mean there was like, hmm, five black kids in my in my uh my high school class. And so I had friends, you know, I had black friends, I had African friends since I'm African, and I had white friends. And so one of she wasn't really a friend, but definitely we were cool in high school. Wrote under my post this is the problem with people today. Everything is separated by race. Why can't all girls rock?
Speaker 2: Oh? And I was like, she's one of them.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I resisted the urge to drag her because I knew her, you know, and I don't know her to be like a you know, a negative, terrible person. So I wrote her back and I just said that all girls do rock, and that I think you're mistaken black girls rock with the saying that like only black girls rock, What this means is that black girls rock too. And said, donnad you don't. You don't and I don't care about say her name because she put herself out there. You don't understand what it's like to be black in America because you're not. And I can understan that that you don't understand, because how can you. And I said, because there's so many negative images for young women of color that this is supposed to counteract that. And so we're not saying that other girls don't rock. We're saying, hey, black girl, I know they tell you otherwise, but you rock too. And I said, Donna, I say, you have two beautiful daughters, and I would hope that you would want for them what everybody wants for their children, to be loved and looked after and told that they're great. And that's what this is supposed to do, and she went on to say something like, well, I'm white and I live in Newark, and living in Newark was ten times harder than I'm sure you living in Westfield. One. I was like, well, I would not know what it's like to be a white woman living in Newark, just like you do not know what it was like to be a black young woman living in Westfield. So that's one and two. Living in Newark is a choice. Living amongst a predominantly black community, literally is a rare choice that you can make. I cannot choose to not live amongst majority white people. That's called life. This is America. Like you know, there's no I mean, yes, I live in Newark, but for the most part, it's it's very few pockets where it's like that. Like, girl, my whole life is Like how if you feeling that way about living in Newark and people have treated you a certain way because of your race, hello, then you should know how it feel. That's how it feels for every single day, for every other black person out there. And yeah, I don't know, she like wrote me some I guess somebody ended up dragging her so she took down her comment, but It just had me thinking to myself, like, you know, like when I was in high school, don't hung out with the black kids. It wasn't like she was. She had friends of all races. She was a cool girl. You know, I always liked her. She's always been nice. So it's not even like I can separate myself and be like, oh, that's that racis shake And so it had me really thinking about, like, you know, how people think and how they cannot relate, and how how do you change that. I didn't you know, she even she sent me an email and I wanted to I don't know what to say to like have her think differently. And I guess she's thinking the same way about me. She still think it's wrong to separate, And I'm like, ah, I can.
Speaker 2: Think, is that there's anything you can say? It's up to her, Like it's not our responsibility to teach them what they're doing, Like it's not our responsibility to explain to them what we mean behind the movement, Like we understand, we get it. They need to catch up, Like I think we put a lot of And that's where the frustration comes from, because we constantly want to convince everyone else of our experience. It's not our experience is mattering that we our voices matter, and if they don't want to hear it, then that's, you know, fine. I don't get You'll be lost trying to convince these people that they're wrong and that our experiences matter and that our voices matter. It's my kind of cynical opinion, but I think just to take that pressure off yourself, like you don't have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what's your brown boost?
Speaker 2: Well, I wish it was something better, like really good to like follow that, but I was going to give a boost to financial planners.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, go.
Speaker 2: Ahead, I was going to talk about that. So so, uh, honey boo boo and I, Oh, I mean fiance boo and I honey Boo boo. May she rest in peace. I don't know where she is wherever you are, honeyboob, but I hope someone's helping you fiance boo and I. So we obviously are preparing to journey into the next phase of marriage and all that kind of crap. But I have we been talking. We've been trying to like figure out how our finances are going to function when we're get when we're married and we kind of have a good system going now, but you know, we're talking about weddings and buying a house and maybe having kids, and like it's just a lot of it just feels like the most crucial time in our life, like this is when we could either make great decisions or we could like fuck it all up. So I thought it would be we thought it would be a good idea to start interviewing financial planners, like someone who can kind of like help like be our coach throughout this next year and really help us like set us up for the goals we want to achieve and like get a professional opinion who's going to like look at our finances and just say, well, here's what you want, here's what you can afford, and here's what you can't afford right now, but you know, here's a plan to get you there in the next like two, three, four or five years or whatever. So I wanted to give a shout out. We haven't officially like hired our financial planner, but we've interviewed a couple, and I really wanted to find someone who was like near us in New York, who had like an idea of what it costs to live here, But then who also is used to talking to young couples like us? And I don't know if you've noticed, but whenever you hear financial planners or you see them, like, it's mostly over seventy white dudes, none exactly, and you know they're used to dealing with like Betty and George, who are you know, have retirements and nest eggs and things like that and are later in life. But there's not really that many younger financial planners, and especially female financial planners. So I wanted to give a shout out, especially to the x Y Planning Network x Y Planning Network dot com. It's a network of x Y like generation X generation why financial planners who are specializing and working with people in their own age demographic. Yeah. So I went to xy Planning and I already know I know Alan Moore who created this network. I met him just through work and so I was like, Alan, I'm going to try using XY Planning Network. And we started intervieering planners and it's been great. Like most of them and they're all like virtual, they're not virtual planners, but a lot of them are. They you know, are happy to work with clients you aren't necessarily in the same state, so you don't have to meet with them face to face. But we talked to one planner who makes several trips to New York a year. She's based in Atlanta and has like face to face visits with you, But then a lot of the work is done online, like through Skype, and they all are very tech savvy, so they make it so easy for you to like work with them and around your schedule and all that kind of stuff. So I'm excited for this next phase, and I love I'm really excited about the financial planner and just knowing that we're going to have someone who's impartial and like unemotional about art because you know, there's so many emotions. I mean, ninety nine percent of financial planning is like controlling the emotion of your client when your client is like, but I have always dreamed of having a house in the mountains and in the suburbs. And they're like, Okay, well that's a dream fantasy, here's reality, Like here's what the numbers say. And I feel like we really need that, especially like these are huge decisions we're going to make in the next year, like huge ones, you know, where we're going to live where we want to raise kids, you know, where we're going to work, and and uh, you know, even just like planning for a honeymoon that kind of crap, Like how are we going to achieve all this stuff in the next couple of years? So uh, that's all I got.
Speaker 1: Well, I think having a financial planet that earlier the better. And you're right, especially when you're dealing with Boo, having somebody who's impartial, so that way you both can be like kind of like you can kind of roost it and be like, well, I don't have to I don't have to worry that you know that this is a mandy plan or of you know, finance. What's it called it, honey boobo plant not honey boo boo. I'm like, ah, the whey are gods scathing me? If ya boot plant? But yeah, just having somebody a third third listening ear is a is a great idea. So I'm excited for you guys. I mean, I think it's time for next level for everyone when it comes to our money.
Speaker 2: I'm not using this person to earn money, Like it's not that kind of relationship, Like I'm not it's like more of an investment broker, like someone who who says, I'm going to invest your assets in these five categories and then we're going to get these returns at the end of the year. Like that's not this relationship. This is someone who literally is going to create Like we're going to tell her our goals him or her, here's our goals, here's what we earn. You help us come up with a step by step planned make. Tell us how much we need to be saving. Tell us, tell us how we can structure our finances so that we can both have joint accounts but then still have our own independent accounts, you know, and she's gonna look or he's gonna look at our holistic finances, you know, look at student loan debt, and and you know what our liabilities and what our assets are. And then tell us, here's how much house you can afford, or so much, here's how much down payment you can afford, and you should start saving this month a month, this much money a month, put it in this account to save it toward the down payment. That kind of advice I.
Speaker 1: See you almost like like like it's like getting like an accountant thin because when people think financial advisor, you know, sometimes when I read these books, it's like, well, if your financial advisor fees are more than what you're making a year, it's not a good investment. But I don't think like that when I'm hiring my accountant or hiring my lawyer or whatever. I'm more so thinking like, this is a professional person that I'm hiring to give me advice so I can move in the best direction possible. So separating like, okay, I like that.
Speaker 2: Definitely financial planner advisor they're counting is interchangeably, I guess in the best sense. This is like a financial planning It's called the X Y Planning Networks. They're all planners.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well thanks, I feel that I got my affirmation.
Speaker 1: Then, don't even like somebody So I was at this thing called and this lady like so I told this to Mandy but I think it's fun and that, and someone recognized my voice and they were like, oh my god, are you Tiffany from the Brown Ambition podcast. And we were giggling, and I was like, you know, I'm just silly winning She was like, yeah, but Mandy's really funny too, but like low key, like she's like the straight man funny. I was like, what Mandy goes throws those jabs. You're like, ah, okay, I'll see you all right. So I think that we did a brown bray and I feel like, I don't know if we have any questions, but I feel like your financial brown boost kind of answered probably a question or two for someone.
Speaker 2: Do you have a quick question? Okay from a reader? And oh maybe I'll say this one. We might have a very special guest. We might have our very first brand Ambition listener, come on the podcast. I'm gonna tell you a little bit about her now, and I haven't even asked Tiffany for permission, but I'm just gonna, like, I have a feeling you'll like her. So we got an email from one of our listeners named Keana Hia. She's a therapist based in Houston, but she says she's had a bucket list goal to travel the world with her nine year old daughter, starting with the fifty States, to be completed by the time she's thirteen, so in the next four years, and then after that she's going to travel every year internationally to a different continent. So by the time her daughter is twenty she's seen the entire world. Is this not the best mom ever?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, currently, Keiana and her nine year old little girl are on a road trip covering twelve states, primarily in the Midwest. Are going to Arkansas, Tennessee. That's not really the Midwest, but Okay, Missouri, Ohio, Okay, here we get in there, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, and Oklahoma. And if you don't love her already, additionally, she says, we're doing community service and group activities with children and families along the way. They did Pacific Northwest Coast over the Christmas holiday, and they're planning on going to New England next summer. And I just love this email so much and like what she's doing for her daughter. So I thought we should have Kiana come to time talk about it on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: I mean, how do you finance a trip like that, you know, and financially how is she planning it? And I mean her little Oh, we should have her daughter on too to tell us, you know, what she's learning along the way. That's awesome. And doing service too.
Speaker 1: No, that's awesome to travel and be of service. Yeah, that's those two things are great.
Speaker 2: I was just happy to go to four age camp for a week, right, right? We just like, how many episodes of Prices have price of right? No prices? Right? Did I watch between the ages of nine and thirteen, Probably like hundreds, because that's what I did with my free time.
Speaker 1: We used to There was used to be this camp that we'd walked to. It was called Recreation. If anybody all from Rose down, New Jersey, you remember Recreation.
Speaker 2: That's what the camp was called. They couldn't come up with anything better, you know.
Speaker 1: And at the time, I didn't realize that recreation was like like I didn't I didn't understand the meaning of the word recreation, and so I just thought that that was like a name like Mandy, like, oh, we go to recreation, Like, oh girl, that's.
Speaker 2: That's like someone put it in there does a place and they were like, I guess we'll just save it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh. And when I got older and I said the word out loud, I was because I saw somebody who I went to camp with. I was like, I remember, we used to go to Recreation. Then I realized, wait, was that the name? That's terrible? And anyway, Yeah, so it was just really like a day camp. You would walk like three miles too, and you just play outside basically with like some like teens and like young adults watching you, making sure you didn't kill yourself, and then walk home so your parents could get a break from you in the summertime. But yeah, I learned how to play double dutch. I learned how to play checkers.
Speaker 2: Don't wonder, I wonder if I could still do double dutch. I was quite the cinder ella luster fella had a dress and something yell.
Speaker 1: No, I can't even. I was like, I moved right before I really got the hang of it. So we went from Roselle, which was like I would say it was it was a mixedtown, but I would say more brown than not. And then we moved to Westfield, which was like hardly any brown. And I was just learning how to double dutch this summer that move, so I clearly lost all my brown girl skills like miss Mary mac all the hand games, fly, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, slide to the left to the right, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, I never heard that one. It's slide one one one two.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, that's how you did in New Jersey. Well, in Georgia. Where you do that. Oh man, okay, I'm like doing it to myself, but no one's here.
Speaker 1: I like miss Mary mac Oh my god. There was so many fun games, like girl fun games that used to play.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Yes those days. So yeah, so that's awesome, right, that's awesome where her mom is doing for her.
Speaker 2: So shout out to Keana and yeah, I'd love to have you guys in the show. We're gonna be in touch Keana. So if you're listening on the rope with your daughter, we'll be in touch. Get you guys in the show soon. And we had a quick, super sexy question about mortgage. I wanted to answer from our listener Nina, who sent a question a couple of weeks ago, so I wanted to get to it real quick. So Nina and I says, it's the question kind of for her mom. She says, my mom has about forty seven thousand dollars left on her mortgage. She's lived in the same house since nineteen eighty seven and refinanced in nineteen ninety five after my dad passed away. She was in her she's in her eighties now and living on a fixed income. But every year, her mortgage payment goes up, and I believe it's at six percent interest. What are some options to reduce her monthly payment and interest rate? Should she refinance? I purchased a home last August at four point two five percent with a fourteen hundred dollars a month mortgage, and I put fifteen thousand dollars down? Should I refinance as the rates are lower now and hopefully I can get my monthly payment reduced. So two questions been onto one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'll say this. So my dad is in his mid seventies and they just refinanced the house because the rates were so much lower than when he was paying. He was able to lower his monthly him and his my mom's their monthly mortgage by like over two hundred dollars. Oh wow, yeah, so it was worth it. So it it made sense. You know, my dad's an accountant and he's like the brains behind the budgetista who taught me what I know. So at first I was thinking, aren't you been old to be refinancing? But because you know, he's got to fix it income my mom still works, it made sense. He did the max, he did the numbers, he asked all the questions, and he was like, you know what, I'm able to save over two hundred dollars a month. That's less money that comes out of my fixed income than I have. So it made sense.
Speaker 2: Rates are very low right now, and it makes it makes sense to especially if like so, if your mortgage is anything over like five percent, then I would say, heck yeah, get thee unto a bank to refinance. But if you don't, like one of my favorite things to send people, because my friend just asked me this on Twitter the other day and I just sent it him. I just sent it him, good Lord. I sent him to a smart Asset and bank Rate both have a really easy mortgage refinance calculator and it just kind of you put your numbers in and it tells you how much you stand to say by refinance, and it can really just kind of show you, you know, is it worth it doesn't? Does the numbers make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, exactly, That's what I really it comes down to, do the numbers make sense? Asking about all of the fees at the end of the day, what am I going to be paying? My mother used to teach me that that when you're doing any sort of financial transaction. Get that last when I signed the paper's numbers because a lot of times, you know, there are all of these numbers that they throw at you, but when it all comes down to it and you look at the number at the end, it's not what you started with. So asking what is that end number? What am I really going to be paying a month as a result, Like what is my actual bill going to look like? And just making sure that it makes financial sense. Is your mother struggling financially? What's the you know? I don't know. Do you know the current interest rates right now? Mandy?
Speaker 2: I think there are a little over three percent?
Speaker 1: Right Ooh okay, I was thinking that so like your mother'd be that would cut her interest rate in half, So that would you know that might be a significant reduction in her monthly payment. But yeah, that's what i'd say.
Speaker 2: Current interest rates on a thirty year fixed mortgage as of July twenty seven, twenty sixteen, drum roll please, three point sixty three percent, fifteen year fixed two point eight nine percent. I'm a fan of the fifteen year margat HEO is you get that thing off your back?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: Great question.
Speaker 1: That's what I want to go for me and I'm Superman. We're just talking about like either I told him I don't want to live here anymore.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm over it, Like by Minny.
Speaker 1: I know. That's the only thing that keeps me here is that the community. It reminds me of what when I grew up, how it was, how families are. Like if I leave my lights on in the car, someone will knock on my door. Like when I'm bringing like the food in, the kids will help me bring the food, like random kids would be like woman to help. So they say, because you know they want those.
Speaker 2: Ice pops, He's gonna say, what's in it for them?
Speaker 1: I know, but they're so cute. And then like when I can I come in the backyard, all I hear is a chorus of Hey, Mis's cabday, you know, led by many that's Mis Tiffany. And so I will definitely miss because sometimes when you move deep into the suburbs, there's a lack of community feeling there where like here, you just it feels good when I come home, and I get that, but then there's also like it's still Newark, so there's some in where we live. It's like on the borderline of like downtown and the other part of town. And so there's like a lot of other elements that I'm just kind of like, Yeah, I think I want a little bit more quiet. Like, for example, I'm so shocked that we're taping right now. Usually by now someone is blasting their music on a huge speaker and you just have to deal all day long.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be so you know what it's like to live in Innwood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically, either that it depends whose barbecues that day. Is it the you know, the Dominicans next door, whether you're gonna hear some Spanish music, Is it the black folks across the way that you're gonna hear some you know, hip hop, R and B trap mus Is it sometimes three people are having a barbecue. So you just get like add.
Speaker 2: Confidence a nice word.
Speaker 1: I know, I learned it like a little while ago, and I like it. So yeah, so which I like in some ways, but in some ways, I'm like, I'm ready for some peace and quiet. Plus our place is too small. It's only a two bedroom and I really need office, man, And are.
Speaker 2: You see this is the We could do a whole episode on like how couples since I where to live, because this is the single most this is this is the only thing we've ever not agreed on where we're gonna move to. Because he's just like you, he's like, I'm sick of the noise. I mean everything you're talking about, the community to having people around. That's everything he hates right now about where we live because it's like everybody is always around and in your business, and they're like loud and it's dirty a year, you know what is nasty? Really, it's like it's such a it's such a it's it's an extreme example of like income inequality in New York City, I'll say real quick. So there's basically the one street that divides both halfs of inwood Or it's called Broadway. It's always Broadway right right, and on the one side near the nice parks, it's the it's the wealthier and more white side of town. And then we live on the other side, which is it's not so it's it's bordering the projects and it's it's all majority Latino, lower income, different side of stuff and the clubs and like very loud. There's there's a clash all the time between the higher income side and Broadway and like the lower income side, who's trying to preserve their you know, how the neighborhood has always been and resisting what it's becoming. It's kind of interesting to like live here during this time when when those two sides are clashing against each other. But yeah, fiance is ready to get the hell on out of here, And I don't know if I'm ready to leave the city yet.
Speaker 1: I know, And I mean it's so because it's so convenient, like honestly, like the train station to New York, the fifteen minute train is not even across the street. It is a three minute walk like right on right next door, So getting to the train is so easy. Plus living downtown the airport is like a seven minute drive to an international airport. So I don't know that we'd leave Newark. I just don't know if I want to live here. So it's weird because he, you know, Superman has lived like in basically the hood his whole life, so he he has never lived in the suburb, So I don't know how he's going to react to not having his boys so close, you know what I mean. He's used to that community feel and I've had both, and I do enjoy the community feel, but I'm also like, ugh, I need a break. So I'm thinking that the compromise will be that we'll live in Newark, but maybe like there's really nice, beautiful sections kind of like around so it's like not quite near like the busier section. So plus, Supergirl goes to a really great school here, and I know he wants to keep her in that school. So I mean, I'm willing to compromise because I don't mind the city. I just want more space and I want more green less buildings that makes me happys In Jersey, there are oh my god, you have no idea. There's a park that's like maybe like a fifteen minute walk but not even from where I live. It's like one of my favorite places to go, think Branch Poot Park, and it is so pretty. There are parks that I've discovered that I'm like, where am I like eighteenth century England? It looks like the Rambling Bush. It's so beautiful, honestly, and so I'm feeling like I would love to live that way because the park is right there, but that's part of Newark. North Newark good luck or or Bath. It is expensive.
Speaker 2: That's another speaking like extreme income very differences, like Newark's a prime example too.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. You've got more million dollar houses and then like ten minute drive later, you've got like, you know, the project buildings.
Speaker 2: Side note, you need to watch Viceland's new series with Michael kay Williams. He played Omar on The Wire. Okay, do you ever watch The Wire? No, he's just like, he's just a beautiful, beautiful man, Michael kay Williams. Anyway, so he was on Boardwalk Empire. He's from. He lived in Newark a lot while he was coming up and while he was becoming famous with The Wire and everything, and anyway, so he hosts a new show called The Black Market on Viceland, and I was just watching it last night. In the first episode that I saw, anyway, was in Newark looking at the carjacking phenomenon and how dangerous it's become. And it's because you have all this temptation being near the really expensive part of town aligned with the really poor part of town, and then the you know, the kids there who don't have any you know, any resources or any jobs or whatever, or just doing really dangerous things and going and boosting these cars, not just boosting but like carjacking with guns. I digress, But do you think you'd like it it's about Newark?
Speaker 1: No, No, I would, And I'm just like, wow, I didn't. I hadn't heard it. I mean, like I've definitely obviously you hear the violence stuff. Just the other day, like not even the other day. Yesterday at eleven am, a dude stabbed his wife like in our complex, well like because our complex is really biggest, three hundred like townhouses. But I was like, Superman, it's time to go because I'm like, what in the hell. And yeah, so just knowing that these like like carjackings, all those all this stuff, and of course nowhere you go is exempt, but in every place you go has issues and problems. But there's just certain issues that you're you're wanting to trade out for others, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I could bring it back weight forgot to answer. Well, one of the questions she also had with this, how do we start talking about all this with mortgage questions? Sorry girl, sorry Nina girl. Well, this one question is should she refinance? If so, should she go to a bank or a credit union? You definitely want to shop around for the best rate first, and credit unions can be very kind with their rates. They're able to give lower rates because they don't spend a lot on marketing and all that kind of crap and fees. So my my, my inclination is to start with a credit union or a local bank first.
Speaker 1: But Chapara, you just never know because you know, it's like going to different places to buy clothes. Yes, you know that traditiontion only Macy's is more expensive than Old Navy, but Macy's might be having a huge sale that day, you know, So just shopping around and making sure that you get the best free and asking that question. Like when I bought my home, I was like twenty five, but one of the things I asked was, when it's all said and done, what is my bill going to look like? Because they would give you all these random numbers and net okay, so what is my monthly bill going to I need that number because you can give me a super low rap, but there are all these other fees and P and I and blah blah blah. So I was able to make a decision based upon what my actual bill was going to look like, and when I got it That's exactly.
Speaker 2: What it was. Is that so danger to when you are refinancing that they're gonna, like you want to lower your monthly payment, so they might put you in a longer term loan, But won't that like couldn't that eventually make you spend more in interest over the long term, because like your payment might look smaller, their monthly payment might look smaller, But if you're stretching out how long you're making those payments, you could end up spending more just the same like in the same way. So there's a lot of different for.
Speaker 1: Numbers to ask for it. You're right, no, for sure, asking like, okay, what's my monthly payment going to be? And in the end, what am I going to end up spending and paying for this house? So just getting all of your numbers, like and just making sure that you're okay with those numbers, because you're right, the longer you pay on something it could raise how much you end up paying for the thing itself. That lower payments don't necessarily equal less money in the long run.
Speaker 2: Yes, And that was she has a mortgage, So personally she had a mortgage at four point two five percent, which is not bad, but it's not as good as some of the other lower rates. Even shaving a percentage point off your mortgage can make a big difference, or like half a percentage points when you're talking about a thirty year more, it's a lot of money you could save. She did get the mortgage last August. I think you have to wait at least like six months before you can really take to refinance your mortgage. What is like six to eight months at least, So the fact that it's been so soon might be an issue, but it's about actually it's August. Oh my god, it's about to be August. She's sign it for a year. Okay, you probably can. Holy crap, my birthday is coming. Eh, twenty nine. I've already started saying I'm twenty nine because it sounds like a nice age.
Speaker 1: I like it. I'll get you claiming it before it's hee it.
Speaker 2: I've been because it's like it's just exhausting to say I'm twenty eight. But in a month, you know, when you go the dentist, I'm like, how old are you? I'm like, ah, twenty nine, own it, live it, leerve it.
Speaker 1: I'm about to be thirty. It's so weird. Saying thirty seven. I'm like, who's that? Wait? Is that me? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: I love ages that end in seven. I had the biggest party for my twenty seventh birthday.
Speaker 1: You such overirdo. She I love ages that end in seven.
Speaker 2: I do getting married on the seventh and twenty seventeen. I just like the number seven.
Speaker 1: Because honestly, it's I'm not gonna lie, it's my favorite number. So I'm teasing you, but it's my favorite number.
Speaker 2: I'm thirty, you know, lucky seven. Thirty seven could be a big birthday. Not sure what could happen. I know, I feel like you should have a party though, and get everyone he loves I know in the room right.
Speaker 1: Probably going to be like a birthday party. I'm like, just come get it.
Speaker 2: Get a manicure too, just in case.
Speaker 1: I do know you already know I am. I'm gonna get a manicure and my faith beat professionally because you have pictures. Gerald's gonna be like really, I mean, it's gonna.
Speaker 2: Be like really looking like Oprah. Yes, I'm ready, I'm here.
Speaker 1: And he's like, and you know, here's a teddy Bear, Like that's not That's not what I find out.
Speaker 2: For Oh, that's the saddest image you and your pageant make doing like during the wave, like the Princess pageant wave, and I'm being given a teddy bear, I know, right, like, oh okay, still having to be graceful about it, because you're a beauty queen exactly.
Speaker 1: Like No, even all my friends and family are, They're like, so that was kind of a let down. No, but it's all good though, all right. So you want to end any any last win, or you want to end with a book suggestion.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna end with the win, which is going to be flow us to speech, and it's going to be a reminder that we should all do our civic duty and go watch Michelle Obama's entire speech on a Internet connection near you. You will thank me for it. You're welcome in advance.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to end with a book suggestion, although I have not read it, but I one of my great friends she's got this black bridle brand, well women of color bridle brand called Wunnaluchi Bridle, and I saw her post it on social media, so I bought it. It's called Contagious Why Things Catch On, and it looks really good. I'm excited to read because I love marketing books. And so if you have a business or you're just trying to you know, you just like reading. I don't know marketing books like I do. Doesn't I know, but I read It's got really great reviews, and so I'm excited to read it. I'll report back. But ye have contagious why things catch on, And we're gonna start like you know, so me and Mandy are gonna start sharing our resources and some of you guys will like tweet us some stuff and ask about them. So we're gonna start giving you guys the links to the resources we mentioned in on our on our website. What's our website again? Broun Ambition podcast dot com?
Speaker 2: Whoa click? You don't even know us? Did I say it right around Ambition podcast dot com?
Speaker 1: So if you ever hear something on the show and you're like, wait, what was that, Well, we'll be sharing the links and stuff. We'll have like a little resource section.
Speaker 2: Yes we will. I agree with that. I'm gonna do that. Yes thing there