Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios. Podcasts. Radio.
Speaker 2: News.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Daybreak Asia podcast. I'm Doug Krisner. Crude oil prices are lower at this hour on some indications that the U.S. and Iran may be closer to a solution regarding the Strait of Hormuz. Axios had reported earlier Secretary of State Rubio told allies the U.S. will not initiate strikes against Iran for now. Rubio saying the focus will instead be on using sanctions. And at the same time, we learned that Iran and Oman discussed an interim framework aimed at resuming shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. Joining us now for a closer look at what's happening in markets is Bloomberg's Paul Dobson. Paul is executive editor for Asia Markets, and he joins from our studios in Singapore. I want to talk in a moment about the inflation story vis-a-vis the PCE, which we are expecting tomorrow morning in the States. Can you give me a sense right now of where the inflation debate is, particularly in the context of continued declines in the price of crude oil?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Hi, Doug. So definitely the crude oil is shaping a lot the inflation outlook. I think there's a secondary factor in the back of people's minds now, again, about the tariffs rising again against various nations, including Canada. But Let's focus on oil for a moment. So we have Brent going back below 90 this week with some reasonably sharp moves. And the situation in the Middle East still seems to be very nebulous, but there do seem to be more efforts to try to get more crude out of the Gulf area with or without the US. So I think that the economic sanctions are announcement that we heard from Bessent kind of told the market two things. One, the possibility of military threats is reduced, is minimal. And two, that the efforts to try to get the supply going again will continue in the meantime. So I suppose there's some hope in the market that we will get more or continuation of more flows coming out and going in. We have this conversation going on between Iran and Oman, again, a little bit foggy, but again, sort of pointing to the idea that there may be more energy flows coming out into the global market. And so all things being equal, lower crude oil prices would help to bring down a little bit of that inflation risk, which is one of the big things that we've seen weighing on long-term government bonds recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about that. And as I mentioned a moment ago, we'll get the Fed's preferred measure of inflation Wednesday morning in the States. That is the personal consumption expenditures price index. And it comes just a few days before we'll hear from Fed Chair Kevin Warsh at the Jackson Hole Symposium. Now, Warsh, as you well know, Paul, has faced some criticism recently for not being forthright in his views on the economy, particularly with regard to where inflation is in the Fed's eyes. Give me your best sense of what the market is telling us right now about the concern over inflation and what we may hear from Warsh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's going to be crucial what we do hear from him, although I think the expectations for what we actually get may be relatively low. He's got all of these different panels and work for or task forces looking into, you know, sort of the future shape of the Fed. And it may be that a lot of what he says is we'll wait to see what the outcome of that those reports is before taking more action. What the market really wants to know is what is the Fed's reaction function? You know, what will it do if inflation does continue to accelerate rather than slow? When will be the trigger for the Fed to think about hiking more forcefully? But whether he goes into that or not remains to be seen. And it may be, given he doesn't like providing forward guidance, that he chooses not to go in that direction with the speech. So inflation expectations then, you know, and the Fed credibility then comes back into the debate. And I think it's more the latter, actually, that's the concern for the market than the former. The breakeven rate has widened a little bit, but it hasn't been the only factor that's been pushing up government bond yields recently. I do think you also have that concern that the Fed is, you know, just going to be behind the curve or happy to let inflation run a little bit hotter. And therefore, investors will demand more higher yields in order to own US government bonds. Again, that's not the only factor that's contributing to the higher yields. There are lots and lots of reasons for that and reasons that Treasury Secretary Besant has started to voice a little bit more concern about the rise in those yields.
Speaker 1: So when you talk about a number of factors involved in pushing US yields higher, to what extent do you think corporate supply coming to the market, a corporate supply that's related to the build-out of AI has been a factor as well.
Speaker 4: I think it's a significant factor given the amount of debt that's coming to market and going to come to market as well, which is a significant amount and all in quite a short space of time. And so for bond managers, if they're looking across the spectrum of options available to them, if you have highly rated debt offering a yield premium over U.S. Treasuries with a decent-looking payback horizon, then fund managers may choose those assets rather than the U.S. government debt. And so there is that little bit of competition for all of the fixed income that's coming into the market at the moment. So I think that that supply factor is an important one. I do think what we have seen is a slight increase suggestion from Besant that he will curtail a little bit of the supply at the back end of the yield curve by doing some more buybacks. And that has narrowed slightly the yield premium that investors demand to hold treasuries over swaps, so the swap spread. Therefore, it sort of points to the idea that treasury is a little bit more in favor relative to swaps. And so that has been a positive sign on the supply demand balance from Besant. But I also think when you're looking at the economy overall things things are all right right Doug things are looking pretty decent at the moment and I think that one of the other things the market is taking into consideration at the moment is that we're in a higher interest rate environment because the neutral rate is higher than it was in that sort of period uh through the 2010s to to post-covid kind of time factor and so um you know, the economy can run at a hotter clip, especially if all of these AI investments start to pay dividends, and therefore you will see interest rates higher for longer. It doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, but it does mean that investors will demand higher interest rates on those longer term bonds as well.
Speaker 1: So as long as we're talking about AI, we have to talk about NVIDIA. After the bell in the US tomorrow, we'll get earnings for the latest quarter The stock was up in the New York session on Tuesday by something greater than 2%, recovering just a small part of the losses that had been recorded over a seven-day losing streak. How much is the market still attached to positive results from NVIDIA if it's going to indeed push higher stilts?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that this is an interesting one because Nvidia obviously is the biggest company in the US market in the world and therefore has a pretty big bearing. And what it says in the deals that it does have the power to influence stocks beyond its own share price. But what I do think is that that influence is starting to wane a little bit. If you look at the overall index reaction after the Nvidia earnings, I was reading in macro man column overnight, the positive impact from the video earnings is lessened. And in fact, sometimes after the earnings, even if the stock has a good day, maybe the overall gauge can have a bad day. So it's less critical than it used to be. And that's because there's a lot more alternatives or competitors or other ways to look at it. But in terms of the messaging that it will give us about the outlook, for, uh, demand for chips and for data centers, uh, globally, you know, there there's very little that can give us as much information as they can. So it will be definitely all eyes on that. Um, as usual, Doug, you know, I think we say this every time that expectations for the earnings are extremely high already. So it's got a high bar in order to beat. Um, but I think that people will nonetheless, you know, uh, pay attention to the numbers. and also to what the outlook and the forecast that's provided by Jensen Huang will be.
Speaker 1: All right, Paul, we look forward to the NVIDIA earnings, at least covering it here. We'll have the latest for you on the Daybreak Asia podcast next edition. For the moment, I want to thank Paul Dobson for joining us. Paul is Executive Editor for Asia Markets, joining from Singapore here on the Daybreak Asia podcast. Welcome back to the Daybreak Asia podcast. I'm Doug Krisner. We go next to Hong Kong, where the Asia Innovation and Technology Enterprises Going Global Summit is underway. This gathering is designed to help Asian tech firms evolve from being regional champions. to global players. It was there we caught up with Neo Zhang Ming. Neo is founder and CEO of MindRank AI. He spoke with Bloomberg's Min Min Lo.
Speaker 3: For people who are not so familiar, tell us a little bit more about your proprietary AI drug discovery platform. How is it a game changer in the pharma sector?
Speaker 2: Yes, so traditionally the drug discovery and development has been a trend arrow process. So by leveraging the power of AI, now the process has shifted from a trend arrow towards more predictive and more capital efficiency and faster process.
Speaker 3: And you have mentioned that I think it reduces your cost by about 60% or so. Where exactly is the cost reduction coming from?
Speaker 2: The majority of the cost reduction from the preclinical stage, but now we see a lot of advances in the clinical stage as well. For example, from the target discovery, the biological understanding to move from the molecule design, which is the chemical-related design, So we utilize some multi-parameter optimization strategy and algorithms instead of treating the human in the loop.
Speaker 3: And I understand that it shortens the timeline of the drug development process.
Speaker 1: Quite a bit?
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed. So humbly speaking, we can reduce by half of the time and also probably 10 times for the preclinical capital efficiency.
Speaker 3: So one of your key assets right now, as far as I understand, is a weight loss drug that is in phase three clinical trials, aiming to launch in 2028, 2029. But there are so many well-established brands like Eli Lilly that already have existing weight loss drugs. How are you going to wrestle market share from them?
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed. So yeah, we do have a small molecule, GLP-1 antagonist. So basically, we see a very differentiated profile in the clinical trials. So we expect it to launch in the fourth or fifth. in the Chinese market. And we see a very obvious weight reduction, efficacy, and also safety profile. So our job operating face-to-face study was only less than 1%.
Speaker 3: So, very low drop-off rate. What is your pricing point going to be like? What is your distribution channel and your path to commercialization?
Speaker 2: Yes, so for the commercialization and also manufacturing, actually, we are relying on very experienced public partners. So, that's not the strength of MedRank at the current stage.
Speaker 3: So as far as I know, you're still a loss-making company at this point. Realistically, when can you reach profitability?
Speaker 1: How long would it take?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are very focused on the capital efficiency, but we don't have a very clear goal to reach the profitable, because now we are still pre-revenue stage. And after the launch of the first blockbuster drug in 2028 to 2029, we can expect a huge revenue income per year. But yeah, probably after another few years, when we become a Bell Pharma company, we can have a clear milestone or timeline.
Speaker 3: What is your revenue projection for your blockbuster drug?
Speaker 2: In mainland China, we expect to reach several billion per year RMB.
Speaker 3: And again, there are a lot of existing drugs, not just from the international companies like Eli Lilly, but the local companies like Hong Rui, for example. I know they're also developing their weight loss drugs. How are you going to secure your market share?
Speaker 2: Basically we aim to produce the safe and efficacy profile and also since it's an oral small molecule so the major competitors they have injectables so means we are easy to carry and also from the safety wise profile yeah we have a very low GI adverse events happen. And also from the, for example, liver-related and metabolic advantages, we see a very clear differentiation. And that comes actually from the very differentiated biological design.
Speaker 3: And I know that you were part of the NVIDIA Startup Accelerator program many years ago before the US export controls come into place. And I believe you were using NVIDIA's chips and its architecture as well. But since the export controls came in, has that impacted your compute capacity or your ability to access their.
Speaker 2: Hardware, for example? Yeah, that gives us some influence, for sure. Traditionally, we have built a small cloud computing by ourselves. That's located in our Hangzhou office. After that, when we want to expand to a larger scale of computation powers, we're relying more on our partners such as Amazon or Alibaba, their cloud computing cluster, which means that's more expensive.
Speaker 3: So it's more expensive. Does it affect the capacity or the efficiency of the compute?
Speaker 2: Indeed. So because we're really a third party instead of our proprietary pipeline, so from the data security and also from the overall solution, we need to take more care of that process by ourselves.
Speaker 3: As part of that NVIDIA Startup Accelerator program, what was the relationship at the time? Was NVIDIA invested or supporting you in any other way besides offering the technology? And how has that relationship evolved given the broader geopolitical environment now?
Speaker 2: In 2023 and 2024, we have some close discussions with the Nvidia team in China and the States. We talk about certain opportunities, but since the tension between Chinese and US governments, I think that has shifted.
Speaker 3: So in that case, are you looking to pivot elsewhere? Are you looking for alternative investors? How are you dealing with this sort of fallout in the geopolitical front?
Speaker 2: For the funding perspective, our main investors are from the healthcare sector. We are planning to be in the pre-IPO stage recently, so we are going to meet a lot of internet or TMT investors.
Speaker 3: Are these mostly Chinese capital, or how much interest are you getting from international investors, and what is your timeline to the IPO?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we see the IPO is very natural when we reach the next milestones, which is the big deal for the GLP-1 small molecule and also other BDs when that happens.
Speaker 3: Do you have a guidance of a timeline that we can expect?
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably next year.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: You are actually still a very lean company. I believe you have 50 employees and yet you have already quite a large pipeline of drugs in development. Can you tell us about what else are you pouring research into? What else is closest to commercialization now?
Speaker 2: Yes, so apart from the metabolic disease space, we are very focused on the other, we are very interested in the CS space, which is longevity space. So in 2023, we are in the consortium, which is funded by TAMIS from Singapore and the US government. So we study anti-aging and discover the new biological findings. to try to intervene the CNS disease. And apart from that, we have developed the novel platform that's not only to target the protein targets, which is small molecules and also antibody and other modalities such as SRNA drugs.
Speaker 3: And aside from developing your own drugs, I wonder, are you getting interest from other drug companies to license your proprietary drug discovery software? It's called MAP, right? Are you getting interest to license and maybe co-develop drugs with you?
Speaker 2: Yes, for the medicine, we do have some interdisciplinary. under CDA discussions and we expect that to happen in 12 months. We will have some BD recently. But apart from the platform, traditionally we've been partnering with a few public companies including Merck from the States and also a lot of public companies in China and Hong Kong.
Speaker 3: So your key asset right now, the weight loss drug that you're about to launch in China in a few years' time, do you have plans to sell that overseas as well? And has there been challenges in getting the regulatory approval and the certifications?
Speaker 1: What's the progress?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first generation of the drugs, the single target is GOP1. We are about to launch it in a few years. But we are also developing the franchise, the portfolio of the obesity and So we expect to have some novel new drugs to launch or to be licensed to partner with our partners in a few years.
Speaker 3: International partners as well.
Speaker 1: That was Neo Zhang Ming, CEO and founder of MindRank AI, speaking with Bloomberg's Min Min Lo from the sidelines of the Asia Innovation and Technology Enterprises Going Global Summit in Hong Kong. bringing you their conversation here on the Daybreak Asia podcast. Thanks for listening to today's episode of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Edition podcast. Each weekday, we look at the stories shaping markets, finance, and geopolitics in the Asia-Pacific. You can find us on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube channel, or anywhere else you listen. Join us again tomorrow for insight on the market moves from Hong Kong to Singapore and Australia. I'm Doug Krisner, and this is Bloomberg.