Speaker 1: Welcome to Creature feature production of iHeartRadio. I'm your host of Mini Parasites, Katie Golden. I studied psychology and evolutionary biology, and today on the show Lips the lovely luscious lips of living and extinct animals. Who has the best pout the most perfect kissable lips, from smoochable dinosaurs to some of the toughest lips on the planet, or letting these critters get lippy with us? Discover this more as we answer the angel question if you have a real long tongue, pretty keep it. Joining me today to rate these lips is producer at iHeartRadio and friend of the show, co host of Ethnically Ambiguous, Anna Hosy.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Hi, thank you for having me Always always fun.
Speaker 1: I am so so excited for this one because there's big news. Anna. I don't know if you've heard about this.
Speaker 3: The t rex.
Speaker 1: You can kiss t rex. It's it's canon, now, scientifically canon.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna need you to convince me on this one.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying you won't die. I'm just saying that they.
Speaker 3: Have all.
Speaker 1: Anced the most dangerous kiss. So our understanding of how dinosaurs look like has changed. Over the years, we once thought they were scaly, brown or green kind of gaunt creatures. They are sometimes scaly. We still think that a lot of them were sort of had tough, leathery skin, but we also think that they may have been feathery or colorful and maybe not as gaunt as they were once depicted. This habit of reconstructing an animal from fossil records and not including enough fat, muscle, or other soft tissue masks is called shrink wrapping, like you've seen you've seen Jurassic Park.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where most of my dinosaur knowledge comes from.
Speaker 3: Really, that in Land Before Time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, both very scientifically accurate movies. Land Before Time. You know what, Actually I feel like in Land Before Time the dinosaurs are They've got a certain heft to them and a certain chubbiness that I appreciate.
Speaker 2: They're like children. They're like young kids who haven't lost their baby weight yet exactly.
Speaker 1: They are cute and I like that. I mean, I do think that it is an interesting depiction of dinosaurs visually now, of course, like they probably couldn't talk, they probably couldn't go on adventures together among many different species. I would love if that were the case, but yeah, they might have been more plump than we sort of envisioned them. Like in Jurassic Park, t Rex is sort of this like very angular, very gaunt creature, very scary looking, and its teeth kind of jet out of it, Like even when its mouth is closed, you can still see it's teeth jetting out of it. And of course there's not a feather to be seen in any of the Jurassic parks. I don't believe so, right, I haven't actually seen the most recent Jurassic parks, but they didn't put any feathers in there, did they?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I mean I've seen them all, even the ones that get like the very bad ratings from the most recent franchises, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no feathers.
Speaker 1: No feathers. That probably would have made them better. I think it would have been very important plot points. You know, Feathery dinosaurs could have been a thing. You could have been bold and done feathery dinosaurs. But they didn't, and that's why they missed out on an Oscar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I always say, as well.
Speaker 2: More feathers, Yeah, more feathers.
Speaker 1: I mean, think about it, like recent Oscar winners what do they all have in common? Feathers? So yeah, often t rex is depicted with these menacing teeth, similar to like the crocodile, where you know, when the crocodile's mouth is closed, you can still see its teeth jutting out.
Speaker 3: Wow, t rexes are kind of ugly.
Speaker 2: It almost looks like they have hair on them, But I think that's just texture, right.
Speaker 1: I think that's just texture. I don't know about the evidence for t rexes having like it wouldn't be hair, it would be like fine feathery down. Potentially there may have been some species of t rex like dinosaurs, large dinosaurs that had some sort of like basically feathery coating, maybe for warmth, and certainly perhaps their offspring had some downy fluff on them as well. Maybe when they're younger, when they have less body fat, that might have been useful. But yeah, I don't know if it is a really settled thing about whether adult t rexes had any kind of feathers or not. But they do think that they had lips, which means that technically they could wear lipstick, which I think. You know, you said they're ugly, but I feel like you put a little bit of lipstick on a little bit of highlighter and you know that's a little bit of rouge. Maybe some falsies. Then you're you know, look you're working resulting. Yeah, high cheek bones, they've got the bone structure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do.
Speaker 2: But it's also unfortunate they have to, you know, sort of succumb to like societal beauty standards in order to be considered beautiful. It's actually quite sad.
Speaker 3: I think what we're seeing here.
Speaker 1: I think the unrealistic standards for t rexes is a shame because I think that they are beautiful even when they aren't wearing false eyelashes, and like, you know, I think that there should be a whole revamp of the whole dinosaur Instagram culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I will say, you know, looking at these photos, it's interesting that they have lips. But it's like something I would have never really thought about, Like I would just assume the area around their their mouth where it opens.
Speaker 3: Is their lips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So is like.
Speaker 2: What different differentiates that sort of I guess lip area from the rest of their I guess exoskeleton, if you will, Like what made them be like, no, no, they are lips.
Speaker 1: That's a really good question. I mean, lips are sort of a they like. The interesting thing with lips, right, is that it is something that in humans and some other animals are malleable, right, Like, our lips have this fine muscle control and we can move them in this way. But this that doesn't have to be the case. There are plenty of animal that have lips but do not have that kind of fine muscle control over them. I think that the sort of general definition of lips is just like a fleshy projection that covers the teeth. I don't know if it needs to be much more than that.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: The way that researchers determined that t rex may have had these lips covering their teeth is that they actually took a tooth from a close relative of the t rex, this Plotosaurus, another giant frightening predator that looks very similar to the t rex, and they bisected the tooth and examined the enamel from the fossil and found that it had shockingly little wear and tear. So enamel, when exposed to the elements or to coffee, can dissolve and wear overtime, and so crocodiles and alligators, the modern day examples of an animal who don't got lips and have their teeth all sticky out cope with this by replacing their teeth. Often they go through thousands of teeth over their lifetime. And that's a lot of money from the tooth fairy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot of money. And I did not know they were losing teeth left and right.
Speaker 1: They yeah, it's it's a lot of teeth that they go through. But t rex teeth likely took too long to grow to be so easily replaceable. That, plus the evidence from the t rex's close relative indicates to scientists that t rex could have had lips covering their teeth, which would have served the purpose of protecting their teeth from the elements. I mean, it's an interesting thing, right, like why do we have lips? One of the reasons, perhaps the key reason originally is that it helped protect our teeth.
Speaker 3: Okay, I thought it was for kissing.
Speaker 1: Grow up anna geez, or for talking.
Speaker 2: Don't lips do us the tongue as well? But I guess like lips help enunciate certain words.
Speaker 1: But absolutely, they absolutely do they help us talk. They help us enunciate kissing, all of these sort of social things. But we didn't originally evolve lips to talk. Perhaps lips did help, but like we started to evolve much more flexible lips in order to be able to have more unique vocalizations, right like our primate ancestors, But you know, using our lips to really shape sound and stuff. That came quite a bit later in our evolutionary history. Okay, So yeah, for the t rex that probably the lips that they had were unlikely to be as poudy and flexible as human lips are. It was probably just sort of a tough, sort of fleshy protuberance that as part of their face, probably quite leather that covered their teeth and protected them from the disintegration of their enamel when exposed to the elements. So, I looking honestly at the illustration of te rex with lips versus without lips, I think with lips it looks like a more serious animal for some reason. Without lips with its teeth kind of sticking out to me, now that looks goofy hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel like the classic look is teeth out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I feel like it looks now that I see them with the lips on, it looks wrong. Without the lips it looks silly.
Speaker 2: It looks like they don't have teeth like them. That be like like they lost all their teeth basically, is what it looks like with the lips on. Yeah, lips on just looks weird.
Speaker 1: Huh No for me, like the lips on makes sense to me, And with the with the teeth sticking out the teeth, it makes me feel It makes me think this has sort of like an overbite, and I'm just imagining it with braces on and being kind of silly looking. But yeah, I mean, yeah, I don't know, because like with the with the lips over it, there's a mystery to it, right, like how many teeth do you have? I don't know. It's being coys, it's a it's a mystery until I'm in that mouth getting eaten. To me, that's intimidating, Okay.
Speaker 2: I you know, personally, I need to see the teeth before I get scared, because I'm like, well, what are we working with here? You might just be a nice guy, right, Teeth always is like if you're showing teeth, oh I'm out of here. Yeah, I'm not interested in seeing your teeth. Okay, then I know you mean business.
Speaker 1: This is how we know you wouldn't make a good dentist, because as soon as someone comes in your office and they show you their teeth, it's like, well, I don't want to.
Speaker 3: See your teeth. I'm out of there.
Speaker 1: You're out of there, right, So Anna, earlier, we were talking about how lips are not just used for protecting teeth. They can also be flexible and used to shape sounds. And so I want to talk about the beluga whales. So are you familiar with belugas? Uh?
Speaker 3: Yes, I am.
Speaker 1: Uh you sound very like it sounds like your best friend is like a beluga you were.
Speaker 2: You kid. I mean, they're they're just they're very viral animals. I've come across a beluga in my day.
Speaker 1: You know you've dealt with a beluga, believe me.
Speaker 2: I mean like they're out here. People will be like, look at this beluga whale playing soccer and you're like, whoa, you know, they got like the perfect little head that's like I'm here to play.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sound like fun guys.
Speaker 1: They are fun guys. They're actually very interesting because they are of the whales sort of the most expressive and like human like whale. One reason is that their neck can turn, so they can turn their neck and actually look at you in a way that is unusual, Yeah, unusual for whales. They also have highly flexible lips, so their facial expressions I think are a little more like uncannily maybe not exactly human, but they are more human likes. So they actually have that curve, Yeah, that little sort of like lip curve that makes them being like, oh why, Yeah, they definitely really yeah, they definitely have the why kind of look. They are very cute, very kind of goofy looking, but quite intelligent. So they use those highly flexible lips on their face to suck in prey, which is unlike both to the whales. So they kind of use their lips as a vacuum, which is really interesting. Oh really like yep, yep, they can suck and suck their prayer writeing. Uh, just like they're eating spaghetti. Uh. They also use their lips in social ways, so we were earlier, we were talking about kissing.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They will make mouth to mouth contact with other Belugas in a friendly gesture. Now this doesn't necessarily connote any kind of like romantic intention. It is just sort of a friendly like almost like a handshake, but with.
Speaker 4: Lips, right, they're kind of like, oh exactly, They're they're very European tree European, you know, like hello, and just like greeting you with a little little kiss, which, trust me, is taking me a little bit to get used to.
Speaker 3: Uh so with all that kiss and you're doing over there with.
Speaker 1: All the belugas I have to kiss in Europe so many so. But one of the reasons I wanted to talk about belugas is they have a secret set of lips. They have phone located below their blowhole in their air passage so you cannot really see these from the outside. These lips are located next to the beluga's flexible melon. So the melon is this fatty ball in their forehead that the beluga can change the shape of using muscles, which can change the shape of sounds that the beluga makes. So you know how that beluga has that kind of like lumpy, fatty forehead. It looks cute, it looks squishy. It is cute and squishy, and then these phonic lips that are in its air passage way can kind of work similar to human lips and shape the sound that the beluga makes, and in fact, it is so good at doing this that it can somewhat mimic human sound. And it is so there is this really wild story from the seventies about a beluga oil that seemed to be able to mimic human speech. Okay, as most animal stories start off, it happened with a Navy kidnapping. So in the nineteen seventies, the navies, the Navy kidnapped belugas from the Arctic.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Some were so young that they spent most of their life in the Navy's care, which was the case for a calf named Knock. So the Navy had this whole like pipe dream where they were training Belugas for surveillance. So they kidnapped a bit I do recall this. Yeah, so they like kidnapped a bunch of like baby Belugas and then we're training them for military purposes. I think belugas are still used by various countries for military usage, which.
Speaker 3: For me is like a Russian thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly for me as a pacifist and someone who cares for belugas, not a big fan. But Knock spent so much time with trainers that he may have started to see them as his family. There is a recording made of Knock seemingly trying to mimic human speech. So there are no real words being spoken, just a mimicry of the general sound and cadence of a human conversation happening. So I'm gonna play this for you, Okay, here is the sound of Knock the beluga seemingly mimicking human speech. So why do you think Anna does that sound like a person? Isn't that crazy? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So there's no words there, right, but his cadence, frequency and patterns seem to match human speech. And they actually sort of tried to break it down and like break down the timing of it and make sure that it's not just that we kind of think it sounds like human speech, but that it's the frequency, these patterns that it has certain like vocal patterns that are very similar to human speech. So obviously it's really hard with like a sample size of one traumatized beluga to like really do a study of like, is this bluga actually trying to mimic human sounds? It's it's hard to know, but yeah, I mean it's such a it is a really strange sound. I don't know how we could study this without being highly unethical, because then you would what would you do, like kidnap war baby whales, Like I wouldn't want that to happen.
Speaker 2: So then put a room together and be like talk. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so it seems like the Navy gave this beluga. I mean, if this is really this beluga trying to mimic human speech, maybe this beluga basically had like Stockholm syndrome, identified with its captors, loved its human captors. In fact, there's evidence of this. Uh Knock was once released from captivity by animal rights activists and he swam outside for a bit, but then just of his own volition like returned to his captors because he just you know, it's like his human family. He's never known anything else. He's never like gotten the experience of living with other belugas. So the I don't know the fact that he may have been trying to mimic the sound of his captors is like, this is a really disturbing story to me because it's like he's trying to communicate with people who he can never really communicate with.
Speaker 2: No, and he's trying to be like, eh, did I go. They didn't mind if I get out of here? Yeah, no big deal, I'll stay. I'll stay. But I just yeah, I'm a family of friends. Yeah, they're like shut up, bluga, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, imagine if you were kidnapped by aliens and they are making sounds, right, like weird sounds, and so you try to like mimic the sounds that the aliens are making to try to communicate with them, and they're just like, wow, look at that cute human. I'm sure that they don't crave other human interaction anyways.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: I have like no, I mean, it's just so sad when it's what it's put trade and like a lie where you're like the Buluca's like alp lp, Like it's just so sad.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, it's sad, and it's like haunting kind of. It's like seems like he's like desperate to bridge this communication.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he's yeah, it's like why is he Why is he trying to talk to us? Probably because he's trying to be like, get me the heck out of here. I'm not who you think I am.
Speaker 1: I mean, I almost think it's something almost sadder, like, I don't think he can even imagine a life outside of captivity. I think he's just desperate for communication, because Blucas can communicate with each other and understand each other, right like. They it's not it's a you know, it's not like a human language, right like where words have specific meanings. But Wales often have like calls that kind of identify themselves, and they can certainly like they can understand sort of the calls and the meaning of these calls. And so for this very intelligent creature to be in this situation where it's like all it's ever known is humans. And sure there were other belugas, like maybe one other beluga that it would interact with, but it's another captive Belugas. So neither of them have any experience with beluga culture. Because I feel like animals do have culture. They can teach and pass on knowledge to each other, and so it's it's a form of culture, and so they don't have any of that. And so with Nak, he's just trying to communicate to the only family that he's ever known. But he can never he can never fully make himself understood or understand what the people are saying. It's really tragic.
Speaker 3: That's so sad.
Speaker 1: It's really sad. Well boy, Okay, so a little upper here is talking about camels getting lip fillers, So.
Speaker 2: Okay, go on, I'm intrigued.
Speaker 1: So camel's camel lips are really interesting. They have three lips sort of, so they have this flexible lower lip and a cleft upper lip. So I don't know, I feel like it's it's kind of a technicality of them having sort of three lips. But yeah, they have the lower lip this upper lip, and they're highly flexible. But they are also very thick and strong, and they use this to eat anything from thorny bushes to cactuses, Like camel can literally chow down on a cactus like it's no problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I have a very clear vision of camel's chewing their lives. Yes, I'm sorry for all the people who have mesophonia, this is not the episode for you now.
Speaker 1: I also am sorry that nobody got to see you doing the camel chew because it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't like that.
Speaker 1: It is very much like that, and there's there's some like side to side job motion to.
Speaker 2: Like yeah wow wow, and you're like, wow, it is that camel is chewing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And if you don't have missophonia, the sort of high displeasure at hearing mouth sounds. You can check out videos of camels eating cactuses and it's not gory or anything because they're fine. Inside the camel mouth, they have, uh, these conical papillae. So papilla are these rigid bumps, uh. And these bumps actually protect their mouth from thorns by redirecting the thorns so that they're pointing down in parallel to the camel's uh esophagus. So like uh, like if you have imagine you have like a bunch of like you know, thorns or sticks or something, and if you just like sort of push them on a smooth surface, they can go in various directions. But if you push them on a grooved surface, they're going to go in the direction of the grooves. And that's how the camel's mouth works and so that it can swallow these thorns and have them go down safely down their esophagus. I don't recommend trying this as a human. It's not gonna work out for you. In fact, camel lips are so important for their ability to eat. That thick lips are a sign of good breeding, like good health and a camel in domesticated camels, which is so important that some camel breeders will inject their camel's lips with botox to make their lips look bigger. So injecting botox relaxes the muscles compressing the lips, and so it makes their lips much powdier. And so this is the huge juicing scandal and camel contests. You're injecting your camel's lips with botox when you're doing like show camels. It's a big scandal if someone's found to be doing bowts into their camel's lips to make their camel lips seem bigger.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm looking at photos of inside a camel's mouth. Weird, I probably gonna say about that. Weird, an odd thing to look at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's you know, camels are really interesting. We have a whole episode actually on camels that we did. But like, uh, they when you get up close to the camel though more and more strange they seem, I think, is But like the inside of the mouth is weird. The teeth are big and strange, the chewing, the heavy eyelids. They are just, I mean, honestly runway ready animals.
Speaker 3: That's interesting you say it that way, runway ready.
Speaker 2: Uh, I don't. I don't know if I like, I mean, I'm glad they could eat anything, but like, I don't know, I don't know about any of this.
Speaker 1: You don't know about the whole cactus chewing thing. It is it is an unpl like I'll put it this way. It's a bit of an unpleasant experience to watch them eating a cactus, just because it looks like it should be painful. Yeah, it does not look like a good situation. Uh, and so yeah, I mean, but they're fine, which blows my mind. It does not look like something you should be able to chew and eat with ease. Like obviously you can eat cactus right like in like people eat cactus, but we get rid of the thorns. We take the thorns off. That's a very important part of eating the cactus. Like, but eating the cactus with thorns and the sound it's making as these thorns are getting crunched and swallowed is it's something. It's a type of ASMR I guess.
Speaker 2: I get literally, I guess because I have no idea, but yeah, just see it seems so rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's but they're fine with it. I think they're probably less fine with getting botox injections into their lips. You know. Again, we were talking earlier about unrealistic beauty standards for dinosaurs, and I feel like camels are now suffering from sort of the Instagram culture of like, hey, everyone's got to have certain type of lips, certain type of look. Just leave those camels alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, unless you know what, I don't want to judge them.
Speaker 1: You know, if the camels themselves wanted to get botox injections, I'd be fine with that. It's the fact that camel breeders are giving them the botox injections. If a camel, if a self empowered camel walks into like the plastic surgeon's office, it's like, give me an extra hump and some lip pillars, like a hump hump modification. I'm cool with that. If camels want to do whatever they want with their bodies. But but it's the camel breeders that are doing or like telling the camels like, hey, your lips aren't good enough. We gotta we gotta do some work on you. That's what bothers me.
Speaker 3: That is incredibly sad.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know. I'm there's always a new at like a new sort of like very specific controversy based on a very specific sort of hobbyist thing, like camel competitions that I I love learning about incredible controversies for a type of competition that I didn't even really understand.
Speaker 3: Before camel competitions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, I mean it makes sense. I think that we sort of show off and compete every animal we've domesticated, right, Like I think there are cats shows, right like you know there's dog shows, but I think there's also like catch, which I can't imagine. The cats are very compliant with being shown at a cat show.
Speaker 2: No, I feel like a cat show is like the most highly trained cats you'll ever see you Because.
Speaker 1: What I had a cat named Mittens, and if I tried to take her to a cat show, everyone would be missing at least one layer of skin shredded.
Speaker 2: If I took my cat to a cat show, I don't think i'd have a cat anymore.
Speaker 3: I think he'd run away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think you'd have a face anymore. No, No, So now we are going to talk about another animal with fantastic lips. This is the tubelipped nectar bat. It is a bat found in Ecuador with an incredible pair of lips and a tongue that just goes on for days. So this is a small bat which has the longest tongue to body ratio of any mammal, with a three inch or eight point five centimeters tongue that is one and a half times the length of its body. So where do you think you put a tongue this long in an animal? Right? Like cause like its head, it's pretty small. Like where does this tongue go? Oh?
Speaker 2: Boy, that is a good question. Where is there like a like a sort of like almost like a fruit roll up, Like it just goes, you know, like it just rolls back up and then come like it almost unrolls when I eat it.
Speaker 1: I love that. I wish that were the case.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: It is actually located in its thorax, so the tongue recoils all the way back into its thorax to accommodate its length. It'd be like if our tongue started in our chest. Uh, And then we could sort of use. There's this hyoid bone that it uses to be able to eject the tongue out of its out of its chest, up it's esavagus, and then finally out of its mouth. There might be some sort of tongue compression that's happening. It's not exactly like a fruit roll up, but there might be some sort of tongue compression happening inside of its body. But yeah, it's because it's it has the tongue that starts like in its chest, which is you know that it's that's a quite quite a French kisser.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, Wow, I don't even understand.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna I'm not gonna think too much about what i just said. But yeah, so it uh eats pullen and insects, but it also uses this incredible tongue to sip nectar. So the tongue has these long papillae. We talked about papilli earlier. So papilla are just like any kind of like bump fleshy protrusion, and it has these long papillae that act as a mop for the nectar. So, uh, the the these papillai will like dip into the nectar and kind of help using sort of the liquid tension and stuff in a surface area will help sop up the water. So the reason I'm talking about this bat on a lip themed podcast is that the or lip themed episode We're not always going to talk about lips on this podcast, is that the lower jaw has lips that extend far past it, thus giving it the name the tube lipped nectar bat. Like, if you look at an image of this guy, it's got these lower lips that just jet way out.
Speaker 3: Okay, yuh weird, that's a weird one he's got.
Speaker 1: You know, like the thing that car tunes do where they like uh strum their lower lip with their finger or something to make that like noise. This guy could do that so good.
Speaker 3: He this is an underbite if I've ever seen one.
Speaker 1: It's an underlip, which is something I've never seen before because like it's jaws in the right place, but its lip goes right. It's just it's like the lip is trying to leave the bat or.
Speaker 2: I can't I can't even explain why I'm looking at He's just just.
Speaker 1: Like, hey, yeah, he does. Guy.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's how he would talk because well, you'd be like.
Speaker 1: A little bit of a he's got a little bit of a what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got like a Marlin, yes, island sort of like a Marlin.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Like I assume he would talk like that, like you'd be like me.
Speaker 1: Let me get this real quick. And then this very long tongue. Yeah, No, he's definitely a Marlon Brando bat. And so that's.
Speaker 2: Lower this if you did a side by side.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm gonna google marw.
Speaker 2: You gotta google Marlon Brando. Godfather though, because Godfather he does actually have that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: He does like when he's young, he does have quite plump lips. Actually Father Godfather. Yeah no, he's the lower lip of the Godfather. Like look what they Look what they've done my boy?
Speaker 3: Maybe by.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a yeah. So this bat definitely Marlon Brando vibes. And that lower lip that is sort of this tube like projection helps catch the nectar as the tongue SOPs it up and retracts. So it's got this of like the tongue comes in and there's basically this lip that's acting like a cup to help catch the nectar. And then it is able to drink this nectar, and it is able to pollinate highly specialized flowers with very deep pitchers containing nectar. So only this bat with its really long tongue and weird lip can reach the nectar and soap it up, can reach the nectar and drink it up. And so as it's doing this, the pollen of the flower dusts its head and will allow it to go and pollinate other flowers of the same species. So it's this really interesting example of coevolution of this bat and this flower where only this bat can reach the nectar of the flower, and the flower has evolved for that to happen so that this bat becomes the personal corrier of the flowers pollen and takes that to other flower species. So it's kind of like a I don't know, what would you call someone who like facilitates romance between two people, Like a matchmaker, Yeah, a matchmaker, but then you're but it's a match maker, a romance, a romance. Heer, I like that I made that up. It's a good word though, But it's sort of more like if you had to go between for someone to like collect someone's reproductive genetic material and then bring it to you. So, I don't know what you'd call that person a romance heer, a.
Speaker 2: Thief, a thief if he's stealing genetic material, I don't know, a romance her, or like a sperm courrier. Yeah, like a yeah, I don't know, like a genetic I gotta think of.
Speaker 1: A genetic genes. Well, uh yeah, there's surprisingly another animal called a tubelip, but this is the tubelipped rass. So the tubelipped rass is a small, oblong, purple and yellow fish that has a set of glossy, well hydrated, luscious lips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this fish, they are this fish has had Here's the thing. This fish has had injectables.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, look, I I'm not gonna say it hasn't like, because I just learned that camels get lip injections, so why not a fish. So this is found in This fish is pouting at me. It's pouting. It's it's a pout. It's like a it's what I mean, maybe it's still popular. But what used to be very popular to do in photos where you stick your lips out, sort of the duck face kind of thing. But this fish is doing it. It's back in two thousand and six doing serious duckface. So it is found in the Indian Ocean and Western Pacific. And the tube blipped rass uses its poudy lips to eat dangerous stinging coral. So the coral they eat is covered in stinging cells. So the tublip rass uses these instagrammable lips that are covered in mucus with layered membranes, and they press their lips against the coral in a kiss and then suck the flesh of the coral up. So you know, they're also good kissers, these fish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see that.
Speaker 1: It's just I mean, come on, So researchers believe that the unique structure of the lips and the high amount of mucus helps protect the fish from the coral stinging cells. So, you know, just these glossy, mucusy lips that they press onto the coral and then suck the flesh off of the coral. I don't know what to tell you. These fish are sort of flirtatious with this coral while also eating it.
Speaker 2: There is such a pout going on here. Yes, I don't even know what to think.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's overdoing it a little, but you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess, are you coming for this poor fish?
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just saying I'm not like these other fish that pout to get whatever they want from stinging coral. Is all I'm saying. I'm not like the other fish.
Speaker 3: Wow, you've changed.
Speaker 1: I've become so judgmental of fish's lifestyle choices.
Speaker 3: I'm seeing that now.
Speaker 1: Well, Anna, before we go, we gotta play a little game called the Mystery Animal Sound game. Guess who's squawking? Every week I play a mystery animal sound, and you the listener, and you the guests, try to guess who is making that sound. Last week's mystery animal sound. Hint, if you've got happy feet, this is not a sound you want to hear. So Anna, can you guess who was making that sound?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 1: The hint is, if you've got happy feet, this is not a sound you want to hear.
Speaker 3: Is that an orca?
Speaker 1: Oh that's a really interesting guess, very very close. Congratulations to Will p Antibee and Joey P who all gets correctly. This is actually the leopard seal, a very deadly predator of penguins. So like the orca, it is a serial killer. The leopard seal grows up to around eleven feet or three point five meters and with loads of sharp teeth. The leopard seal is no joke. It is a very, I would say, quite a scary, intimidating looking seal. They will happily eat anything from penguins, seabirds, fish, smaller species of seal, and even krill that they can filter through their interlocking teeth. So the vocalizations are often used by males in the breeding season to attract a mate, and they will hang upside down in the water and make this call in the hopes of attracting a female. H But if I saw one of these things just like this eleven foot seal, with this mouthful of teeth, these beaty predator eyes, hanging upside down and making this call, I would assume it is calling for the devil to come and take my soul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like that.
Speaker 2: It was when it sounds like it could be like talking to space.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Don't like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, yeah, I like that. It's a good rule in general. If it sounds like it's talking to space, get out of there.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, thanks.
Speaker 1: No, thank you. Onto this week's mystery animal sound the hint, don't call this great animal a peasant? So Anna, do you have any guesses?
Speaker 2: What was the clue?
Speaker 1: Again? Don't call this great animal a peasant.
Speaker 3: It's not a peasant. Huh.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit obscure. It's a bit of a tough one. Can you guess sort of the type of animal that it is?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean a bird. I'm a type of bird.
Speaker 1: Interesting, I will actually give you that. Yes, it is a type of bird. So that's an extra hint for y'all.
Speaker 2: Love, I'm going based off the sort of peasant clue, and it's in that sort of family. But like he doesn't like to be confused for a peasant.
Speaker 1: Interesting, very interesting guesses. Well, if you out there, sorry, did you have another? No? Let's well, if you out there think you know who is making that sound, you can write to me at Creature Featurepod at gmail dot com. You can also write any questions you have, any cute animal pictures, whatever you want or like topic suggestions kinda. Thank you so much for joining me today on this very liptacular episode where can people find you?
Speaker 3: Well, first, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: I always enjoy coming and learning the most obscure, random stuff that I would never think about ever unless it was for you, So thank you. You can follow me at Anna host me on Twitter. I have an Instagram that's at selling the hosts Meia it's just selling, and then my last name that's where I sell myself to you. And then yeah, I have a podcast Ethnically Ambiguous that you can check out. I have a bunch of stuff going on, a bunch of shows I produce here at iHeart. Check all those out if you follow me on social media. I post about them all the time so you'll figure it out. And then oh, I have a substack now called selling posner dot subsack dot com. I just write a bunch about a bunch of random pop culture stuff that like engages anything that I like randomly become obsessed with. I read about it nice though, that's fantastic. Subscribe to that if you're interested in my musing.
Speaker 1: You're amusing, amusing musings wonderful. Yes, definitely check those things out and thank you guys so much for listening. If you're enjoying the show, and you'll leave a rating or a review, I deeply appreciate it, and I read every single review thanks to the space Cossics for their super awesome song Ex Solumina Creature feature is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts like the one you just heard, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or Hey guess what. Wherever you listen to your favorite shows. See you next Wednesday.