Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Hope you had a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Everybody gangzou here on this Tuesday phone calls always welcome, best and worst of the weekend. Stat of the Day brings you. I brought to you by Penny America. The official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show also stream the origin of Lebron James the Superhero. The New Peacock original movie tells the story of young Lebron and his best friends as they compete to become the number one high school team in America. Shooting Stars premiers June twid exclusively on Peacock Play of the Day, stat of the Day, poll question All of that forthcoming. Mike Floria will join us here in a moment. The possibility that Tom Brady is in the on deck circle ready to come in and rescue the Las Vegas Raiders from themselves and Jimmy Garoppolo. Also, DeAndre Hopkins has been released. Cardinals are tanking and doing a good job of it, and ere is DeAndre Hopkins going to end up eight seven to seven to three DP show email adw Sdpatdanpatrick dot Com, Twitter handle it D show me say good morning. If you're chatting on chat Row, those watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, download the appen our radio affiliates around the country. It wasn't pretty, but it was over quickly. There was no Game six drama in Game seven last night, as the Miami Heat pushed aside the Boston Celtics and they head to Denver for the finals. Golden Knights they rolled the Stars. They're going to the Stanley Cup final versus the Panthers. No NBA, no NHL tonight. Reggie Miller will join us tomorrow. He's traveling today. Seventy six Ers hired Nick Nurse, and that seems like a pretty good hire. Felt like Nick Nurse had his choice. I don't know this officially, and I've tried to see if woj Or Shams is reported on anything.
Speaker 3: Did Nick Nurse have his choice?
Speaker 2: So the Suns, the Bucks and the seventy six ers, And if he did, it would be interesting that he chose the seventy six ers. And did he choose it because of Joe el Embiid and Tyrese MAXI what's James Harden going to do? Also, Phoenix still open, Milwaukee's still open, and these are great jobs because you get to work with talented players. Now, Phoenix, you're gonna be limited because they traded resources and how much can you stockpile that roster there? Chris Paul's situation Kevin Durant is what thirty four, Devin Booker has never been better. And then you have Milwaukee that's still a great lineup there, and you got the Greek Freak. These jobs don't normally come open, and if you have a job like this, it's one of those jobs that may come open. And this was surprising here in the offseason, but Nick Nurse leaving Toronto and going to the Philadelphia seventy six ers. All right, Seaton Poll question results from the first hour, and we're.
Speaker 1: Going to go with an hour two. Dan hour one, we put up the thought of breaking up Jason Tatum and Jaylen Brown is legitimate, ludicrous. Right now, seventy two percent of the audience are saying legitimate. Yeah, I don't know if you can. I'm still young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was Jalen Brown twenty five, twenty six now because he was second team All NBA. Now he gets the Supermax and that has nothing to do with Max Kellerman. He is getting five years, two hundred and ninety five million, I think is what it is.
Speaker 3: So he's eligible for the Supermax ouch.
Speaker 1: Are they being that pair being criticized too heavily for the series?
Speaker 2: Well, I just don't think they work together. I mean, they're good together, but they don't compliment each other. I think that's the key is I'm looking at my two stars, and it feels like Jason Tatum's the star. Jylen Brown needs to compliment Jason Tatum, and I doesn't feel like he does. You look at Jamal Murray and Joker, they compliment each other. I think when you have you know, Shaq and Kobe complimented each other. Sort of they were different, but you know they worked there for a while dominating performance. It felt like Pippin and Jordan. You know, they sort of compliment each other. Although Scotty's not complimenting Mike. Now we'll talk about that coming up a little bit, that Scotty.
Speaker 1: Scotty just won't let it go. You won't let it go.
Speaker 2: Called Michael horrible basketball player when he first started, and then he needed Scotty to win championships, which technically is true. But to call Michael horrible when he played for the Bulls.
Speaker 1: A little strong it is. It's a little strong, yeah.
Speaker 2: But in fairness to Scotty, fairness to Scotty, it's always Jordan's Bulls. It's Shaq and Kobe's Lakers, even the Big Three in Boston or the other Big three with Bird, you know, McHale and Parrish, the bad boy Pistons.
Speaker 1: Scotty gets left out.
Speaker 2: And when you think about Jenobilei and Parker got included more with Duncan and Robinson than what you have here with Scotty.
Speaker 1: We'll talk a little bit more about that.
Speaker 2: I wanted to chat with Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk Live co host NBC Football Night in America. Anytime Tom Brady's name comes up, it's the reason to have Florio on. I thought, Okay, maybe Tom he's going to be a minority owner of the Las Vegas Raiders, and then Jimmy Garoppolo had off season surgery and now feels like maybe Tom's in the on deck circle playing for the Raiders. Mike, who is owed a pie to the face because he did say that Tom Brady was going to go to the forty nine ers. We're never going to let it go Mike, until you do it.
Speaker 4: I need to do it.
Speaker 5: I need to do it.
Speaker 4: I need to figure out how best to do it, where to get the pie.
Speaker 3: Oh, your wife can do it, Mike.
Speaker 4: I think we agreed to lemon merangue because it's particularly acidic. Yeah, and it will irritate it.
Speaker 2: It'll burn your face, Yes, it'll burn your face. All right, help us understand exactly what's going on with the Raiders.
Speaker 4: Well, last week it was reported, originally by The Athletic that Jimmy Garoppolo had surgery on his foot. And you know, things move pretty fast. Days become of week's become months. I'm thinking, wait a minute, he had that foot injury in December. Did he not have surgery? Then you go back and look, well, we didn't have surgery. Then well, wait a minute, what why did he have surgery? Then that he's having surgery in March and he had the surgery after he signed with the Raiders. And then I remembered, well, there was a weird delay in his press conference, had everybody in the building, they send everybody home, and the next day he acts like, no big deal, nothing to see here. That should be the NFL's new slogan, by the way, nothing to see here, because we hear that all the time. I got the contract on Saturday night and I read the contract and I was stunned. Lengthy addendum G for garoppolo injury waiver that deals with the foot. They took away his signing bonus over he was due to make eleven point twenty five million the moment he signed unto the contract they negotiated before they did the physical. Did the physical, he failed the physical, had to go get surgery, And the way the contracts are written, if this surgery doesn't work, they never pay him a penny and their fallback is Brian Hoyer and rookie Aidan O'Connell. It's just a weird situation, Dan, and I wonder how it was all kept secret and why it was all kept secret. It makes no one look good at all. It makes Garoppolo look like maybe he was hiding something. It makes the Raiders look negligent to not have an alternative plan. And that's what brings Brady right to the front burner because he's becoming a partial owner of the very team that could be without a proven quarterback when Week.
Speaker 1: One rolls around.
Speaker 2: Okay, can he play? How would Brady be eligible to play?
Speaker 4: And I've seen this from multiple different reports, most recently documented by the Las Vegas Reviewed Journal. For him to become a player, if he's an owner, there has to be a unanimous vote of all owners and that seems a little harsh to me, and I find it out. Isn't it in these guys interest to have Brady on the field. The guy makes money for everyone. But I had someone explain it to me over the weekend. Here's the problem. You have a guy who's in the building. You have a guy who gots access to practice, to meetings, to the playbooks, to the game plans. It's like having an extra guy on the roster. There's something that isn't fair about it. From a competitive standpoint, you have this guy's your emergency option, and he's already up to speed on everything. It's just a matter of putting him in a helmet and a uniform and putting him on the field. So if it's going to take a thirty two tozhering vote, Dan, my guess is there's gonna be teams that say no, no, no, especially in the AFC West. Because the Broncos tried to do this, who compete Obviously with the Raiders. They tried to do it when they had that game during the pandemic where they had none of their quarterbacks available and they'd go with the receiver Kendall Hinton. They had a couple of assistant coach is they wanted to put on the roster in the league said no, can't do it. Same idea. It's like having extra guys on your team because they know what's going on. So if he goes through with this, the deal's done with Mark Davis just needs to be approved. Unless he walks it back, he's not going to be able, I believe, to play for the Raiders and be a minority owner of the Raiders.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he could not become the minority owner a minority owner, but he could just postpone that.
Speaker 4: I mean, why not? And that's the thing. This is the ultimate Cooper get off the pot moment for Brady. I mean, if you're thinking about playing, pull the plug on this ownership or delay it by a year. It's an easy fix. And Dan, my understanding is simple. And this is a question I asked somebody who's in a position to know what Brady's up to after he had that appearance in Miami several weeks back, and he was asked, is there any chance you're going to be the quarterback of our local team? And instead of saying, well, your local team has a quarterback or no, I'm retired, he said just enough, just enough to stoke interest. Dner standing is he's done. But he loves being the center of attention. He loves being talked about. He loves it when his name comes up, and I find that refreshing. It's good to know that there's like an actual human in there somewhere that is driven by the same petty crap the rest of us are. So that's good. But so, you know, so, I think he loves it. But at the end of the day, he's not gonna.
Speaker 2: Fly Arizona Cardinals. Are they on the clock for a next year's draft?
Speaker 4: Well, they haven't, actually, and this is potentially intriguing. Today he hasn't DeAndre Hopkins hasn't officially been released yet. There's still a chance very slim, very slim. But we've seen it before where a team says, hey, we're releasing so and so, and then at the very last minute, there's a trade that's done. I don't think that's going to happen. But the key piece of evidence for me is that the Cardinals could if they wanted to wait until Friday to cut DeAndre Hopkins. If they wait until Friday, they split the twenty two point six million dollar cap charge over two years, they basically create eleven point three million in cap space this year. They're not doing that. They don't want to do that. They don't want to have that money on the books. They don't even want to be in position where if somebody drops out of the sky and we see veterans get cut all the time, somebody we didn't expect, we could get that guy and make our team better. Well now they can say, sorry, we don't have the cap space to do it, because they've deliberately pushed it to next year. They're pushing it to next year. They don't care about this year. It's not a surprise, but it's a tangible piece of evidence as to what we already think. The Cardinals are a team that isn't going to try to compete, a team that maybe will position itself to have the number one overall pick in the draft, and the Houston Texans' first round pick wherever they land, and it feels like they're in. Whether you call it rebuilding, remodeling, or flat out tanking. The Cardinals don't care about.
Speaker 1: This season, all right.
Speaker 2: One of the Dane's has a double or nothing. I bet for you, Mike, Okay, yes, Pony, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I had the initial bet with Florio that got him the pie with the forty nine Ers. So Florio, Mike, I'm going to try to get you out of this because I know you're protecting the hair, which I respect.
Speaker 1: Double or nothing.
Speaker 6: You have to tell me who the starting quarterback Week one, first snap is for both the Raiders and the forty nine Ers.
Speaker 3: If you get both right, you're out.
Speaker 4: Wow Wow. But if I'm wrong, I get two pies.
Speaker 1: Two pies.
Speaker 3: Did you want to roll the dice on that, Mike, Well.
Speaker 4: What the hell? Since I've avoided one pie, I can avoid two.
Speaker 5: So let's go.
Speaker 4: Let's go. Even though I'm intrigued and fascinated by the story, I do think it will be Jimmy Garoppolo for the Raiders week one. I think they'll get him ready to go week one, and I believe the week one quarterback for the San Francisco forty Niners. I'm not going to go Chalker. I'm gonna make it interesting. I'm gonna go ahead and accept the pie. I will say, just for the interest of entertainment, that the Week one starting quarterback for the forty nine Ers will be Sam darn.
Speaker 2: Boo Mike Florio Pro Football surpie is coming or not? Pro Football Talk Live co host, Thank you, Mike.
Speaker 4: See you guys have a good day.
Speaker 6: Yea.
Speaker 2: I saw there was a story where somebody in San Francisco said that Rich Eisen had inside information or a source with the Niners, because Rich had the audacity to say you could see brock Purty as the starter and the Niners would then trade away Trey Lance. And I went, Okay, where's the insider information there that can't if brock Purty is healthy ready to play, Sam Darnald is going to be my backup quarterback. I would think maybe you could recoup what you gave up to get Trey Lance. Uh. Seems logical to me. If you have an insider with the Niners, then the insider is going to give you the time frame for brock perty or the insider is going to say Sam Darnald is going to be our backup quarterback, but might don't roll out him being the starting quarterback. That to me would be hey, you got a source there. I think Rich just said what was obvious here. If I've got Rock Perdy, I got a young quarterback, I got Sam Darnold, I don't need Trey Lance. Didn't seem like it was a big stretch there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Point, But for the Niners to get rid of Trey Lance, they need him to get in the game and play well. A La Garoppolo when Brady was suspended. Did he have two really nice.
Speaker 3: Games and two or three then he got hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what they need.
Speaker 6: They need Trey Lance two for whatever reason, get in the game and play well, and then they'll be a market for him.
Speaker 1: They have to keep them. Oh you do, I have no insight less than left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you might be accused of having insight if you say there's no way you get rid of Trey Lance.
Speaker 6: The Niners have all their quarterbacks are under contract, and they're not paying any of them any big money. They're in a weird position.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break. We'll check in with the Celtics. The White Mamba Brian Scalabrini.
Speaker 3: That's coming up next year.
Speaker 2: On The Dan Patrick Show, we had extra extra buns kings Hawaiian and we had Slider Sunday on Friday, and then they sent some extra buns and the dan Netz took them home. Seaton, you had slider Sunday. Was it Sunday when you had the slider crushed?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did pulled pork sliders kings Hawaiian buns. There's some ribs on their to You know.
Speaker 2: Those pretzel slider buns are good. You don't even have to have anything on them. You can just eat those. They have so many great dishes. You can get the recipe recipe inspiration at Kingshwaiian dot com. The Monster Dunk Sliders that's got ribi, some fried onions, some horseradish on there, and some au for dipping. Oh, they make great buns, the salty pretzel slider buns, pre sliced slider buns and the originals the ogs, the original Hawaiian sweet rolls. You can start your weekend with a slider Sunday thanks to kings Hawaiian. Go to your local store pick up the sweet plum irresistible King's Hawaiian rolls and enjoy. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Racing on the Streets of Detroit returns to the IndyCar Circuit. The world's fastest drivers roll in to the motor City Sunday at three eastern NBC and Peacock. We'll get to phone calls coming up. By the way, do you know what the fastest or the average speed was of the nineteen eleven the first Indy five hundred? This was the average speed of the winner, Pauli nineteen eleven, nineteen eleven seventy two miles an hour, Marvin.
Speaker 7: Sixty five miles an hour, Todd seventy four point two, Seaton.
Speaker 2: Eighty three, seventy four points six miles per hour. Point yeah, the average speed for the Indianapolis five hundred winner. All right, Oh, I got another one for you before I get to Brian Scalabrini that how fast.
Speaker 1: That must have been?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 2: Oh, do you think that they were going, Oh my god, hold on for dear life, this is crazy.
Speaker 1: Wait, he's going seventy four miles an hour.
Speaker 6: Yeah, poems and they had like protective goggles and gloves on, had a scarf to protect them.
Speaker 2: The most points scored in game seven of a conference or NBA Finals by an undrafted player. The most scored in NBA history for a player who was not drafted. If you said calob Martin twenty eight points, you would be correct. Twenty six points last night. I don't know whose record he broke. Maybe we could find that out. Most points scored in a game seven by an under after player. Brian Scalabrini the White Mamba Celtics analyst NBC Sports Boston and was on that championship team in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: If I would have told.
Speaker 2: You after Game three you were getting to Game seven, you would have said what?
Speaker 9: And I believe you because this team is so up and down, the Celtic basketball team. Now, it's something happened this season where I got to the point where I just stopped guessing and I just say, well, they're going to have to show me what they're going to do today, because I just ran out of the patients of trying to say, like, all right, well they figured it out. Now they can build upon that. I really believe like this, the highs and lows of this team is unlike anything I've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: All right, when did you know you were in trouble?
Speaker 1: Last night?
Speaker 9: Probably after Derek White made that run in the third and I think Miami, speaking of Caleb Martin, he made two really timely shots and I'm saying, not going to win this game. I maybe got a glimmer of hope at the start of the fourth quarter when they ran a great play out of the out of the quarter and Tatum got a wide open layup and missed, and then they came down and hit a three. At that point, I knew we were in trouble.
Speaker 3: What's the biggest question heading into the off season.
Speaker 9: Probably Jalen Brown and you know, will will they offer him a super max contract?
Speaker 5: Will he will?
Speaker 9: I'm sure he'll sign it if they offer it to him. You know, last night, Tim von Temps asked a great question about Jalen Brown's future, and Jalen, you know, that's where you give like standard answer. I'm not really thinking about it right now. I don't I don't know what the future holds or I love this team. We've been so accomplished. He didn't give an answer that you would think, and he didn't say no. He said, I'm it's like, I'm trying to process all this, but I just I wonder what's gonna go on. There's been all these talks about in the past about those two guys. Then they're good then and things are going bad, they're not good. When things are going good, they're good. So I wonder where all that lies. You know this, uh, and I think it'll come right around July.
Speaker 2: But they don't compliment each other Normally when you have two All Stars there, you know, James Harden can compliment Joe l Embiid or Clay compliments Steph it feels.
Speaker 1: Like a joker.
Speaker 2: And Jamal Murray, these two players are very similar. Would you keep Jalen Brown?
Speaker 9: Well, Dan, there's a lot of truth to what you're saying. But also, I mean they've been to four conference finals in seven years.
Speaker 3: Would you keep Jalen Brown?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I would. I'm not the one paying the bill, you know there they went way.
Speaker 3: Over to take money out of it. Right now, I know, yeah, Oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's easy. Then that's easy.
Speaker 9: If it's not a if it's not a money things, it's a no brainer. But you know, like Celtics are into tax, they were into tax last year. If they signed in, they're going to be deep into the tax that theers are paying like eight dollars for every dollar they spend because they've been in the tax for eight straight years. Like that's a problem in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But do you agree that they don't compliment each other. They basically are similar types of players.
Speaker 9: But the league now dan is a defensive versatility league and offensive versatil. It's a wing driven league. Now, you might be right, like Lebron and a d there's a there's a big and a wing. You know, jo kicch and and and Murray Butler and had a Bayou. You're right about that, But I think anybody in the NBA would take two versatile wings that could defend and rebound and they can handle and run pick and rolls. So in this day and age, I wish they played better together. But I'm not saying like it's a it's They've had a lot of success and they can continue to have success.
Speaker 1: But they don't they.
Speaker 3: Don't handle the ball well.
Speaker 9: Brian, only when they're spacing as a team is bad. And I think Dan instead of looking at it like they don't handle the ball well, I think they try to do too much at times. Tatum had the bad ankle. Jaylen Brown thought, I have to do more, and sometimes against Miami, you don't want to try to do more. You want to try to do less. You want to you want to take one trouble and move it and eventually wear them out. And they did it for three games to get back in this series. But this particular style of play always comes back to bite them when they're not making shots.
Speaker 2: Talking to Brian Scalabrini, the Boston Celtics analyst, Joe Mazzola's job safe.
Speaker 9: I would say he's I'll give you a sixty five seventy percent safe. I think there's a lot of things with the fact that he got thrust it into this. Like I heard, there might be a lot of guys leaving to go with ima Udoka, who hasn't hired really that many assistant coaches down in Houston, so they might get a new staff. They might have some guys at some former players and some former head coaches. I think, to be honest with you, Dan, to give him a fair shot, you've got to build a staff that that And I think these guys were great, but they lost David sttomar Are halfway through the season. Will Hardy they lost them last year. He made Doka, they lost them last year. David Stottamyer they lost this year. I just think you've got to put a great veteran staff around a first year coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, you got to have that guy who has the experience. And you know, I thought what Spolster did, I don't you know, when we get into out coach, I think that there were times where he was far more tactical. Spolster is very underrated still, which is kind of amazing. I think he's a Hall of Fame head coach. But it felt like he was making the right moves for a team that shouldn't have won this Eastern Conference finals.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 9: No, I mean, you can make an argument, Dan that they shouldn't even have been here. But you know, I think he coaches the guys hard. Now, this is the thing that's really interesting about Sposter. All we hear nowadays players league players, league players, League players dictate this.
Speaker 5: Players dictate that he can't.
Speaker 9: Coach him too hard, like that's not what you want to do with the superstar player, except for Eric Spostra because he has backing from pat Riley. So I give him all the credit in the world. I think he's a brilliant coach. And I also give him all the credit in the world because I grew up where coaches yelled at us all the time, Like that's just the generation that I played in. So I think that he has a huge advantage knowing that he could get into guys and they might bark back, but he barks back and it's never.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, he lost the locker room.
Speaker 9: No one ever says Eric Boster lost the locker room or he pushes them too hard. But Eric Bosher will also say, well, we do ain't for everybody, and it just works for this particular group.
Speaker 3: If I said you could have Jimmy Butler Jason Tatum.
Speaker 5: I'm taking Tatum Man.
Speaker 9: I love Jimmy Butler, though I do love Jimmy, but I love his couch. He the gamer, but you go to the guy that has the talent.
Speaker 3: What was it like right before tip off?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I've been in that building a lot.
Speaker 9: I think the fact that they came back from down three made the biggest difference.
Speaker 5: That crowd was loaded, they were ready. Paul Pierce was getting them hyped up.
Speaker 9: They respond to the old guy, the old Celtics more than any play type been in other places. You know, you go to the other places, they show the guy, he waves and everyone you know gives it a little bit of a cheer man. The crowd was amazing, and but you know what, it was amazing. In Game five against Philly they had a dud. It was amazing. In Game five against Atlanta, it.
Speaker 5: Was a dud. It was amazing.
Speaker 9: Last year against the Golden State Warriors in game six it was a dud. A lot of times this group for whatever reason, and I don't I'm not going to get into the generational thing or the personality thing, but when the crowd is unbelievable, a lot of times this group has swung and missed.
Speaker 2: I don't understand this logic. You're of the new age. You're shooting threes and you're getting down by double digits, so you continue to shoot threes and you have no chance of coming back. Is there any logic to getting a two or going to the hoop, maybe getting a foul on. Somebody, help me understand a team that goes nine for forty two and that's your that's your offensive game plan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what, I don't.
Speaker 9: I've had conversations with Joe Missoula about it, and by the way, he's not He's not that the way that he's abrasive with the media.
Speaker 5: He's not that way, and just outside of that.
Speaker 9: But I've had conversations about it and I and I really believe like when the Celtics drive into the teeth of the defense and get threes, they're different threes, but you know a lot of times they settle for that one past shot.
Speaker 5: They want to They want to take the first shot.
Speaker 9: That's what they say. If it shots open, we want to take it, so you can't. I think I think basketball is more art and science. I think it's more like there's a you know, if if me and you were playing together Dan and I threw it to you and he threw it back to me, and I drove and I kicked it to you, I feel like you have a better chance of making that shot because you've got involved into the game. But you know, that's not their philosophy. That's the way they want to play. They think that the threes will eventually all balance out. But in the playoffs, you can get down oh three, you can come back, and then you can lose a game seven, you know, by you know, double digits, and never come back from it.
Speaker 5: Because relying on that three.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why the Nuggets stand out. The Nuggets will make an extra pass. If you watch them play, They're going to always make one more pass, and not many teams do that. So you're saying to that, yes, and I think, well, here they are in the NBA Finals. You need to do that because you might have a good shot when I can get a great shot by somebody, and if you're trusting your team and everybody gets involved, that's why Butler usually gets everybody involved and then he takes over later in the game. Joker gets everybody involved and then he takes over, usually later in the game. And I think that's that's the tribute to great a great team player, understanding you get gone, I'll get gone, and then we'll win this thing.
Speaker 9: Dan, no question about it. Even last year the Golden State Warriors passed the ball so much more last year than they did this year. Like this year we saw Jordan Poole, Steph Curry, Clay Thompson dribbling around looking for their own shot.
Speaker 5: Like I don't understand.
Speaker 9: It's why the NBA doesn't adapt more towards bald movement.
Speaker 5: Bald movement is the key.
Speaker 9: The defenses are so sophisticated, guys are so good, they no tendencies. One thing you can't guard against is that is that bald movement and not just passing the ball around the perimeter, getting to the tee to the defense, drawing of people kicking it out and then what you said, extra past who doesn't love playing basketball like that?
Speaker 5: So I think the teams.
Speaker 9: That passed the best in the playoffs are the teams that are in the finals. And I thought last year the teams that played the best ball movement. I would think Miami Miami last year was better at moving the ball than the Celtics were last year, but Celtic's defense was better. But typically the ball, the team that moves the basketball to most is a team that's going to end up going to the finals and have a tremendous amount of success.
Speaker 3: Did you ever go as Larry Bird for Halloween.
Speaker 5: Nah. I went as a Kurt Rambis one time. That was good.
Speaker 2: Okay, all you need is the glasses in the Lakers jersey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he taped them. He had that tape. I had a tape.
Speaker 9: I don't know if that if he broke him, why he had tape there, But I taped him.
Speaker 5: So I did that. I had a wig and every day with a great look.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you, enjoy the off season, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 5: Got a dance here.
Speaker 2: That's Brian Scalabrini, the White Mama Celtics analyst, NBC Sports sponsor. Actually I used to own a pair of those Kurt Rambis glasses and it looked like tape, but it was actually rubber. So it gave you a cushion on the bridge of your nose.
Speaker 6: It stuck better when you're sweating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was a cushion in case, you know, you got hit. And I had a pair of those Kurt Rambas glasses. Better shooter than Rambas. Not as tough as Rambas, of course.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Jeff in Detroit, Hi, Jeff, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 9: What up?
Speaker 5: Door?
Speaker 10: One time for chat row, Yeah, you just come across those guys with those Kurt Rambas glasses. You were in for a defensive battle, dude, for real on the court, man, Hey, that's the worst of the weekend, my worst. I'm gonna start off with Jason Tatum rolling his ankle, kind of feel like we got cheated. I wish it wouldn't have happened, man, but hey, it happens, it happens. And also Brown's eight turnovers, the guy just kept giving the ball up. My best is gonna be Miami playing as a squad. They really came out and they did what they were supposed to do. I mean, coming from number eight doing showing a resiliency that they had was something else. And I have two questions for you, well, he kind of asked one of them with a Scalabrini interview. Did Joe Mizzoula keep his job? And now I'm trying to wonder because he didn't make the adjustments that he should have made at the end of the game. And like you said, they shot themselves out the game or so into it, and out of this entire season, out of the playoff season. This has been kind of odd, man. It's been really weird. What would you what would be your take away from it? Because you know, Giannis wasn't in there. You know, the teams that we thought were going to be in aren't there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you had injuries, but there was no consistency. I think Denver was consistent from start to finish. All the other teams you weren't quite sure. I mean, go back to Golden State. Just start before the season started. What happened, you know with the punch from Draymond Green and Jordan Poole, they were never the same. Steve Kerr finally admitted that the Lakers you weren't quite sure were they going to even get into the playing game? MENO, okay, but what happens when they get in the big spotlight there?
Speaker 3: So just start with those things.
Speaker 2: Memphis with John Morant, these are teams that were supposed to compete.
Speaker 3: Phoenix makes the.
Speaker 2: Trade for Kevin Durant didn't work out, they fire their head coach. In the East Miami, they underachieved, so they became an eighth seed and they probably you know, shouldn't even have been in after the play in games, but they got in. And that's as a coach or a player just get in and you know they were able to take advantage. Milwaukee didn't have Giannis for a couple of games there. But you know, you're beating teams that should you have been beating.
Speaker 1: And it's weird.
Speaker 2: We always think, well, you got more talent, but talent doesn't always win. It's do you understand how to use that talent when you're using that talent? What happens when their talent is better than yours? Making adjustments there. But I think the NBA was very up and down this year trying to figure out who was I said all year long with Boston, I don't know how good they are and I don't know how bad they are, but they can be both in the same game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, they just seem to do everything with a shrug. The Celtics meaning they're like like, hey, what happened tonight? You guys lost Game seven at home? Like, yeah, they just don't played better than us. Yeah, It's like there's got to be a little more to it than just like oh yeah, I mean they just they won, we didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, you need to have somebody on Boston adopt Jimmy Butler's attitude of we'll win, not Hey, if the shots fall or they didn't fall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they we just didn't make shots and they did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, poling, right.
Speaker 6: You could have a casual attitude when you've already won the Golden State Wars. And Steve Kerr when they lose, he like, yeah, that's fine, We're gonna win the next one.
Speaker 1: It'll be fine.
Speaker 6: But they've they've got a bunch of titles. You can't be casual when you've done nothing yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mark.
Speaker 7: But if they have, if they adapted Jimmy Butler attitude in that sense, they got to every single they need somebody very Jimmy s where things aren't going well, what the bleep are you guys doing? You could see there's a Twitter video of Jimmy Butler kind of cursing Max Strow's Dunkian Robinson. He's cussing those guys out and they're not taking it personal, like I need to step my game up. And I think other teams that Jimmy Butler has been on, they're like, whoa, why.
Speaker 2: Are you not very nice? Hey, you're being mean to me. That's not nice, But Bunny, Jimmy Butler got his team. He didn't have his team in Minnesota. He didn't have it in Philadelphia. I'm not sure what happened in Chicago, but now he has his team and I think they're smart enough to understand. Spolstra and pat Riley. How do we get players who Jimmy Butler is going to make better? And when you think of a basketball organization, is there any other organization that makes their players better? And you have so you have consistency with pat Riley and Eric Spolstra that these players know that coach is going to be there because you know the president of the organization is going to keep him there. You have to find your way to become a Miami Heat player. I know we get caught up in culture and you know it's the Patriot way, but something to be said about those organizations.
Speaker 3: Something's working right.
Speaker 2: Players interchangeable, but the philosophy of what you do and how you do it and who's doing it haven't changed. Will take a break. More phone calls will give you our best and worst.
Speaker 1: Right after this.
Speaker 2: Panini NFT trading cards giving you the opportunity to pull autograph cards and memorabilia cards. Rare inserts, even one of one NFTs from every base pack. We love talking about Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. We invite you to check out their brand new NFT platform. It's located at NFT dot Paniniamerica dot net. You'll find one of the kind digital cards also available on packs or Panini's public auctions on the site, the Hottest Rookies' Biggest Superstars, the Old Time Grades and these are the official products of the NBA, the NFL, UFC, FIFA World Cup and collegiate sports and you, as a collector, can share your cards in the public gallery, complete challenges, earning exclusive award cards and more. And check out the newly released NFL and NBA Prison packs Panini NFT Trading Cards giving you the opportunity to pull autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts, even one of one NFTs from every pack. NFT dot Paniniamerica dot net the official trading cards and NFTs of The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon Eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 11: Hi, this is Jay Glaser.
Speaker 8: And you may know me for the world of football or fighting or even shows like hbos Ballers. Well you don't know is for my entire life. I have lived in something I refer to as the Great Depression anxiety. So now I'm coming out with a new podcast, Unbreakable, a mental health podcast with Jay Glazer where each week, well we talk about mental health. I hope to describe it, give it words. Listen to Unbreakable with Jay Glazer on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Didn't Jim Morrison play a show where he had us back to the audience the entire time.
Speaker 1: I think when he first started he didn't turn around.
Speaker 2: Because he's shy, right, Oh, Jim Morrison was shy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he became Jim Jim Morrison the Lizard King.
Speaker 6: And then there's a singer named Sia.
Speaker 1: Yeah is that her name? I don't know her music, The Bowl, haircut, a hair over. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think she was a writer and then became a singer. I think she sometimes does concerts with her back to the CROWND.
Speaker 1: She's written a lot of hiss Chandeliers song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think she's the prolific song.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I gotta I gotta tell you. I'm I'm kind of bummed that I did not go see Taylor Swift with my kids.
Speaker 1: I've been thinking about it.
Speaker 6: You know, from the experience of it.
Speaker 4: I'm not Aaron.
Speaker 3: Rodgers just went to see Taylor Swift.
Speaker 6: Another reason to go. Yeah, but I think it would have been a great experience. You know, she schedules all her concerts Taylor Swifts on Friday, almost all of them on Friday and Saturday nights, to make sure she could get the youngest kids there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't have school the next day. Yeah, I think genius.
Speaker 3: I'd love to go see takes.
Speaker 1: She just had a social media post thanking like the New York New Jersey area for whatever run of shows she just hat there. So I guess there's three shows. Maybe she had over two hundred thousand people go just in that one weekend that it feels like just seeing all of the posts and stuff like that like this, I get what Paul's saying. Kind of missing out of this was probably a hell of an experience and a tour that people probably should go see. And they were all stadium Yeah, they're all massive stadiums, and.
Speaker 11: There's large amounts of people that get all dressed up just to wait outside this thing. They don't have tickets that they're like blocks away, just enjoying in whatever they can hear. That's Taylor eliminating from the stadium.
Speaker 1: Taylor gating. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Best worst of the weekend, Marvin, I'm gonna start with you. Best and worst.
Speaker 7: Best of the weekend. The atmosphere last night in Boston, plus me and Reggie Miller. I was like, hey, Reggie, I'm Marvin. I'm I replaced mclovin. Hey. He greeted me like James and Virginia. So that was cool, okay, And then worst of the weekend. No Red Sox last night. Nobody from the two.
Speaker 1: Thousand, No, No Malar was there.
Speaker 5: I see him.
Speaker 2: I think I think Kevin Malar was there. Did you get a celebrity list because you were working for TM two?
Speaker 1: I did, but I didn't see him in okay, person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Kevin Mallar was there representing Leo for But.
Speaker 7: It was weird because they usually have people up on the jumbo tron and you know, to get a big ovation, and I didn't see it.
Speaker 1: I didn't at least.
Speaker 3: Paulie Best and worst.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go double best. Joseph Neugarden won the one hundred and seventh running of the Indianapolis five hundred. A couple of red flags during the race.
Speaker 1: I think tire Rack is one of the sponsors for.
Speaker 3: Him, Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 6: This guy's entering, Joseph Nikolai Newgarden. He's from America. I just assume this guy was a Dutch. He screams Dutch, Yosef new Garden. He's from Nashville, Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Of course he is.
Speaker 6: We got He's our I'm telling you, Marv, he'd be the seventh pick of the NBA draft with the name like Joseph Newgarten.
Speaker 1: We got him.
Speaker 4: He's our guy.
Speaker 3: He's like Nicholas Skittish Villy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's Intendic.
Speaker 4: And then I'm gonna go.
Speaker 6: I watch a lot of lacrosse this weekend. Notre Dame versus Duke and Notre Dame got their first ever National eNCA Lacrosse title.
Speaker 3: Good Match todd Best and Worst.
Speaker 11: Best of the weekend.
Speaker 1: I went baseball.
Speaker 11: If you like a lot of run production Major League Baseball three scores of eleven and four of ten Sunday raise eleven ten over the Dodgers, Rockies, eleven, ten over the Mets, Braves, eleven, four of the Phillies, Yankees ten, seven of the Padres. Astros beat Theday's.
Speaker 4: Ten to one.
Speaker 11: That all happened on Sunday, worst of the weekend, even though they won Game seven in Boston Saturday night in Miami heat, not boxing out in the final moments after Marcus Smart's miss, Derek White comes flying in, which worth the Game seven. That should never have happened.
Speaker 1: Nobody boxes out anymore.
Speaker 2: I remember that you had to box out when you were in high school. Coach would always say find him. As soon as shot goes, nobody boxes out. And it's so simple. It's you know, guys are just lazy, like I'm not going to box out. But if you would have put a body on him, then he doesn't get there. I mean it in hindsight.
Speaker 1: I mean that that's what you have.
Speaker 2: To guard against, is if they put the shot up, beware of the putback. And you know, give him credit though came out of nowhere and put it back in.
Speaker 3: They did.
Speaker 2: They were friendly by giving them probably an extra second on that, but they took advantage of it.
Speaker 3: It was a great play by him. Yeah, best and worst.
Speaker 1: My best of the weekend, And we've said it, but it's worth saying again because it's just so damn funny. The Heat getting a Bob Coosey and Jimmy Butler went in the Larry Bird Conference MVP on the Celtics home court after all of the hype about the Game seven comeback is just so damn funny and unfortunate for Celtics fans. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, sorry about that. I'm not going to do a worst of the weekend. I'm going to do a dumbest of the weekend. Oh the reaction to the Heat booking their travel after Game seven but before, you know, for their post Game seven travel, but doing it before they actually played the game. I think it's just called logistics. I'm pretty sure that, like people have to plan their travel and they I would guess maybe the Celtics had already also put some things to imagine that. People were just going bonkers over that, and it's like, what what do you expect them to do? Like, oh, we won this morning, we better book travel.
Speaker 2: Well, remember Jimmy Butler said, you know what's the mindset, It's that we can and we will win. Remember that was a big headline. Does anybody give them credit for guaranteeing the win?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But in the moment, you're like, I can't believe what Jimmy Butler's saying. Right, they booked their they had plans to go to Denver. I don't know if that meant they're over confident. You can't just go. Uh, anybody make hotel reservations? No, I thought you did. No, No, you were supposed to. We got a plane.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: We can get one final hour.
Speaker 2: Coming up, we'll hear Scottie Pippen's comments about Michael Jordan