Speaker 1: Hi everyone, It's James here, and we have a wonderful episode for you today on heat and heat illness and how to protect yourself, for your community and your animals when it is hot, which it is right now. But I just wanted to record this little pick up to tell you that this isn't medical advice, right, we do this every time we do these. I am not that kind of doctor, and I am not your doctor, and I just wanted to reinforce especially that yes, generally, of you're hot, it's a good idea to drink fluids and get out of the heat. If someone is losing consciousness or really really sick, you need to get better medical attention. Then you can learn how to give on a podcast. Right, So that's when you call someone whose job is to look after people. I just wanted to reinforce it. Obviously, pouring water down the throat of someone who's lost consciousness is a very dumb idea. So please, if somebody is seriously and well, seek medical care. Enjoy the episode. All right, Hi, welcome to It could happen here a podcast where we someone knows at God, which is what I doing just before the podcast began. Maybe we'll include that, and today we're here to talk about how God is smiting us with massive heat waves. And I'm joined today by Margaret Kiljoy and Garrison Davis. Say hello everyone.
Speaker 2: Hello, everyone one, so cool, soameless, so called thinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my sheeple have joined me. This is what I get for doing an episode about sheep so as you will be aware if you are in just about anywhere in the northern Hemisphere, it is very hot at the minute. It's very hot in cities in Europe, It's very hot in the United States. It's very hot in parts of North Africa and Middle East as well. It's the hottest June for Hambley years. Garrisonly July that one.
Speaker 2: It is the hottest July, and it is one hundred and twenty thousand years according to the most recent estimates released like three days ago as the time of recording.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, And we've had the hottest day in history like four times in the last month or something.
Speaker 2: In the in the first half of July, we had we had two days in a row where it was the two hottest days on record, and then we had two other two other days that were also the hottest days on record. It's it's pretty concerning. It's nothing that people haven't been warning about for many, many decades, but it's it's bad, and it's very warm.
Speaker 1: Yep, and it will continue probably to get warmer. So I think the way we want to approach this is I'm going to start off with talking about stuff related to like exertional heat illness, because that's the thing that's most acutely concerning for people, right, especially if they work outside, if they recreate outside, if they're doing stuff outside where they can't get out of the heat. So I think to start off if I want to talk about things that might make you predisposed, and then I'm going to expend a little bit of how the body cools, and then some of these different stages of heat illnesses and how one might go about treating those or seeking further care if you need to. Right, So to start out with, there are some things that can make you predisposed to heat illness. Right, The biggest predisposition I've come across my reading is previously having heat illness. So I can certainly speak to this. Yeah, Like I think I got heat stroke for the first time. It was racing by in Spain, I think, but I then remember getting it again racing bikes in Vietnam and just like being really bad, like having to have ivy fluids, like vomiting sort of even some like sort of not loss of consciousness, but definitely like confusion and erratic behavior and stuff.
Speaker 3: And the line between that and dying is pretty narrow, right.
Speaker 1: You can have like multiple organ failure and stuff certainly if yeah, if you don't respond to that or if you misdiagnose that, and that's definitely like I'm someone with diabetes, right, so people can sometimes if you're erratic or confused, people can assume your hypoglycemic and you need some sugar, but you don't in that situation. We need to fluids and electrolytes and to be cooled quickly. So yeah, that is yeah, you can die. People do die. Actually, the mortality is quite high. Like I to prepare for this, so I want to look at Advanced Wilderness Life Support course. I did, and people can look it up. AWLS University of Utah does one, and you can act as lots of the stuff online for free. But they would think the mortality is quite high from these like heat illnesses, and I think that's probably especially true in wilderness medicine, because it can be hard to cool someone down, right if you don't have means of Like if you don't have access to ice, you obviously not got air conditioning out there. If the best thing you probably have is running water, hopefully you have running water, right, And I think probably it's something that people might not have been concerned with unless they either lived in a very hot place or a very active people, or who travel a lot before. So yeah, if you've had heat illness before, then you do need to be careful and you will probably know if you've had it before. But if we go through all the symptoms that you've had them all and never I guess got diagnosed, and lucky you, maybe you just found out you had heat illness and other things that can predispose you can be a lack of acclimation. Again, like this is one that I think kind of stands to reason for most people. But like if you go from a cold place to hot place, or the place you are suddenly becomes hot having been cold, it's going to take you a few days a week to become a climatized to that heat, right, and your body will change things about your body will change, so we don't need to go into But it's also that I don't think so. I think so back when I was exercising more seriously, I would we would do heat acclimation by going in a sauna after a training ride, and the idea was like, you gave yourself this big bout of heat stress and then then you could go back and cool down. Right, So I think if you were in acy for most of the day, it was okay, I'm sort of guessing here, but if getting that bout of heat stress and then recovering and get just like any other training that you're doing, seems but if you.
Speaker 3: Go outside into the heat and then come back into the cool, you're still acclimating yourself.
Speaker 1: Yes, compared to just hanging out in you know, somewhere where it's cold all the time. And you do want it. You don't want to overdo it, right, You don't want to be like, oh, yeah, I'm going to acclimate. Time to go for a ten mile round, like, ease into it, make sure you're hydrating, make sure you're taking breaks in the heat. There's also a lack of conditioning, right, so that's why you see a lot of heat illness. Maybe that's the first time I got heat stroke was like pre season workouts for like especially like collegiate athletes and things, or athletes who are more seasonal athletes. So people who have been parked on their backside for a few months are in class or whatever, and then they come and start doing a rigorous training regime that can that can predispose you, right, so they can cause you to be more likely to get heat illness. And then there are some medications, right, so you'd probably say on your medications, but things like beta block is, actiohistor meines, diuretics, you don't want to be drinking too much alcohol, and some conditions to heart disease, skin disease, existing dehydration fever obviously, right, your temperatures high to begin with, and diarrhea and vomiting which can cause their dehydration. Right, So, looking, if you have diarrhea and vomiting, it's not a good idea to also be going out and exposing yourself to a lot of heat. Right, So all of those things can make you more predisposed. But you can have none of those things and still get heat illness. I think the way to understand it is like the way we'll talk about the way our body cools, so it does set through evaporation. People will be familiar with sweating. Most people sweat, and so if you the sweating allows your body to cool, right, The evaporation of the sweat allows your body to cool. So people who don't sweat, or people who have injuries which means they don't sweat some of their body again, are at a higher risk for heat illness. Right.
Speaker 3: More less assties into wet bulb temperature and the fact that if you're in a more humid place, you have to consider the heat very differently, right, And so yeah, yeah, the East coast versus the southwest, for example, of the United States, will have very different options available to them, both inside and outside about how to cool down. Based on knowing the humidity outside is going to be as important for people as knowing the actual temperature.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, and most of the time now, if you're using a phone app, put think most people are doing to check the wather that you can find that it will give you the humidity and not give you a wet bulb or like a real feel temperature. But certainly, like I was recently on a trip to the Marshall Islands, and I was running and like eighty five, and I'll run at eighty five all the time. I was dying because the humidity was so high. So yeah, whether how humidity is high, you're not going to be able to cool as much, right, so you need to be more careful radiation that that's when your body is shedding heat through like I guess electromagnetic energy. That makes up most of your cooling when the ambrient temperatures are less than body temperature. So once the ambient temperature is above your body temperature, I think in fahrenheit, it's like ninety six point six, your body's going to be relying on other methods, right, that one's not going to work conduction. Conduction doesn't really make up much of It's not really that from a way to cool it doesn't really make much difference. But like people will be familiar with conduction if you've ever slept without a sleeping pad, if you've been camping, you'll realize how much colder you get on cold ground. And then the last one is convection, right, So that's heat transfer between the body and then moving gas or liquid. That's why wind chills the thing, okay, because that air's whipping past you rate calling you down. And that's also the convection is one that we can use to cool people down if they overheat, right, like jump in the creek, so yes, or if we don't have a creek, we can get you wet and then fan you. Okay, maybe we can if we're outside and we have those big thermos sleeping pads, we can get some air moving that way and help you cool down. If we know the ways the body cools, then we can maybe use those right, And we have to understand, like you said, the relative humidity read so when our body gets hot, especially when it starts to overheat, it'll shun some blood to the skin right vase of it will also increase cardiac output and increase catecula means which activate the sweat glands. So the hypothalamus will also regulate heat production in the body.
Speaker 3: And there's been two so I don't understand two of the words you've recently used.
Speaker 1: But okay, which way the words which are the words about the.
Speaker 3: The cacophony and the means.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's sufficient to say that the body you start to sweat more and your body begins to regulate how heart it makes itself.
Speaker 3: Okay, I got that one kind of from contact. But what's this next one?
Speaker 1: I gues see. Hypothalamus is like your your body is kind of internal regulator, and what it's doing is it's in this case, it's regulating the heat production of your body. Dude, it's trying to it's not making you hotter from the inside. I guess that's probably a terrible explanation. Okay, so let's go through the different stages of heat illness. We can start off with things that people will be I think we can probably skip like sunburn. Many of us will be familiar with somebur many it will have been sunburned. Many of us will understand hopefully we're wearing us suncream when we go outside, right or just wearing our suncream and covering ourselves up from the sun, not just like running around with our skin exposed to the sun when it's one hundred and ten or what have you. So step up from there would be heat cramps, and cramps can come from various things, right, Like, I think not all cramps are caused by sodium depletion or potassium depletion. People sometimes think that it's a potassium thing. Some of them can just be caused byever exertion. It can be your body's way of being like hey stop. So like, if you know, if it's fifty degrees out and you're trying to run your fastest tank care and you have cramps, that's not a heat thing. That's just your body being like, okay, you're not ready for this. Yeah, that's kind of my experience with running. Yeah. Yeah, your body's actively rejected it. Yeah, it's because it knows.
Speaker 3: I tried to join the track when I was in ninth grade to impress a girl. Neither part of that worked. I'm sorry to hear. That's fine, but it's for the best.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that you can share that with the audience. Oh that was just wait, oh no, someone's listening. Yeah anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Unfortunately, So if heat cramps, right, they're mostly going to be in your carves. People will be familiar with the sensation of a cramp. I'm sure when we're experiencing heat cramps, we want to obviously cool off, stop doing the thing. So if we're running, it's time to stop running. If we're cycling, time stop cycling, unlikely you're getting where you get you get swimming, there's other kinds of cramps. But you know, if we're exercising, it's good to stop, it's good to cool down, it's good to rehydrate. So that's where you're going to start with your oral salt solution. And generally from what I've seen, it's a sodium thing, so that that's just like a quarter to half a teaspoon of table salt and a liter of water.
Speaker 3: This is the electrolyte thing that people talk about. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And as we get further into like these heat illnesses, one of the things that you want to be careful of. You're trying to rehydrate some when it's overloading a carbohydrate, so you want a less than six percent carbohydrate solution. That can mean just not pounding gatorade, which I think can be like the sort of standard response for some people because it just it doesn't empty quite as quickly at something which has a lower carbohydrate content. Right, Okay, but people who.
Speaker 3: Are drinking stead drinking straight water doesn't rehydrate you as effectively as drinking electrolytes. Right, Like, if it's really hard out, you pretty much need to be hydrating with electrolytes. This is unless you're like eating a salty snack or something. This is what I've heard from people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a thing called hypernatremia, which is when you the opposite that's like low sodium, right, then that's that can happen sometimes from just drinking straight water without any sodium. It happens rarely, but it definitely can happen. It can happen in like backcountry travel where people don't think they're exerting themselves, they're just kind of walking and drinking a lot of water. It can happen in marathons, like it happens sometimes in marathons people are just taking the water from the age station to just drinking the water. Yeah, it's never like it's you know, when it's hot, if you're having you know, when I was bike racing, I used to do one drink of water and one drink of electrolyte, even in the heat, pretty much like one bottle. There are two bottles on a bicycle thing. I think that's a fine thing to do if you're in the heat and in you're exercising, you don't need to be smashing gatorade all the time because that's a lot of sugar, and it might that will also not empty from your stomach. So, you know, a modern sports drink should have the right solution. You know, there are lots of brands. I'm not going to recommend one, but there are lots of different brands which should have a decent sort of four or five percent carbo hydrate solution, and I think one that tastes nice to you. And then we move from there into a couple of different things, heat exhaustion and heat syncope. Heat syncope is when you'll see people like fall over, and it happens often, like the only time I've seen it happen is people stopping after like a long run, like specifically like when they push themselves really hard, right, And it can actually be it can be people who are not particularly dehydrated or hypothermic, but a sort of a long run and heat you're not acclimated to. It can blood can pull in the legs, and it's it's often people who ilderly are not very well acclimated, and it's normally when they're standing and stationary, and that's something that you can treat by elevating the feet, where's the personal lies down, and then just getting them out of direct some sunlight and helping them rehydrate, right, So helping them cool, rehydrate, You're going to see that in nearly all of these cases, cooling someone off it's the most important thing to do. So next time we talk about heat exhaustion again, like you'll know something is wrong in these situations, right, Like if someone's just just like falling over, you will know something is wrong. If someone's yeah, then in case he's like you'll know like having had heat exhaustion heat stroke, like you yourself will also know. There are certain like like ecstasy is a big one, like when people people quite often get heat illness when they're like at raves on ecstasy. And that's just because obviously like altered state of mind plus douncing uh plus plus this drug, which is you know, your body is not not making its usual responses, I guess, and that can be so like you know, if it's one hundred and ten out, maybe that's not the time to be doing MBMA and raving car if.
Speaker 2: Cop behavior James, Yeah, yeah, I can stand by and here and just as you spread this m d M A slander people should. People should absolutely be knowledgeable about what causes serotonin syndrome and be careful about mixing other substances. But I cannot have you just disparage the good name.
Speaker 1: Of M d m A like this.
Speaker 3: Oh I will, I will take it one step further and tell you that, at least with my research, both caffeine and alcohol make it far more likely for you to suffer dehydration and related heat dehydration.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is this is just that this is an actual problem that people should mix up. Like with M D m A. This is something to look up because because of the way it affects your serotonin levels, it can cause you to overheat if you take too much or come out with other things, or if you're in a hot, sweaty, crowded room you're dancing too much without taking breaks. This is a thing to consider.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I had. There was a person it was. I think it was reference in the in the course I did where they wore talk about using a drone a rave to identify people who are hypothermic, and like, that's like your to want step away from the dance floor, like to identify people who are at risk, which is an interesting idea. That's cool, I think, yeah, So just you know something to consider as you go forward with yourselber plants. So other signs, right, tiredness, weakness, dizziness, headache, fainting, norse, your vomiting, muscle cramps, norse, you're vomiting, it's ralph. I remember that the worst heat onness I've ever had was in Vietnam doing a bike race. One of the rules in a bike race is that you can't take supplies from your support car in the last fifty kilometers, and it was just so hot, and I remember being like, I'm baking inside my skull. I'm baking it aside my skull, like and I'd been previously in like a little group in front of the main groups. I also hadn't been able to access water from my car then and then drop we got caught by the main group, is what happened. And I remember being like, okay, good, Now I can get my eye socks and put them down my back and I can get my cold water. And then I went back and the guy was like, no, no, no, it's like it's like forty nine kilometers and I was like, oh, this is bad. This is really fucking bad and it was really bad. Did you be I'm sure, Yeah I did. I finished the race. Congrats, No, terrible decision at the picture somewhere my teammates put me in a shower with like my legs above my head it which was just like water boarding me with cold water, and I was given ivy fluid and they were all like, oh, this is bad. He's not he's not in a good way. Yeah. Yeah, then you know sport is good for you. Keep sporting out there, kids. Everyone was very concerned for me.
Speaker 3: My All the stuff I came up with was like stay inside, don't there yourself, like avoid caffeine and alcohol. Yeah, if you want to push yourself past your limits, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Don't know. It's bad. But we did everything wrong right like it was in December the race, because the Asian Tour doesn't take a break at like the December and a few time it takes a break from Ramadan. So obviously coming from the United States, we were relatively less fit than we would have been. We were not acclimated. I had a fat beard, which did not help, and like my hair was longer than it is now, My body was not losing heat. Everything was I doing this this race, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, going out there like full like if there's nothing that what is more white man on the left and you know, got a white dude with a beard. It's like all of them, right, and bacon and marks and you have to try it. Yeah, don't do that. Don't do that to yourself. We talked about heats and cope and the last one is heat stroke. So what differentiates heat stroke from heat exhaustion is that higher body temperature above forty degrees celsius, which is one hundred and three one hundred and four fahrenheit. If youre seeing one hundred and three, it's time to pick up the telephone and call nine on one if you can, if you're in an area where you can do that. But it doesn't matter it to one hundred and three one hundred and four. I guess it's that you're very hot. At that point, you're going to have hot, red skin, a fast strong pulse, headache, dizziness, naughtia, confusion. People can also lose consciousness. So this is very serious, right, and the line between this and really serious lasting complications is quite quite small, So you do need to be very extremely concerned. I will say that, like when you're taking someone to temperature, taking it at the extremities is not necessarily going to give you the best idea of what their core body temperature is, right, So that for the reason that like if they're hot, if like if it's hot, they're hot on the outside, right, like an ear or what have you. And then if you if you've then tried to cool the person and you're seeing like a lower body temperature in their hand or if you're yeah, if their hands been in ice, you know, in ice bath, then you might see a cooler temperature there. And that there are like rectal probes are used for this not something to be doing in a sort of non consensual manner. They're not really something to be doing unless you're like a medical professional. But if you're so, just don't don't be relying. I guess that you know, people have those little heat guns that they like to use and stuff might not be the most reliable source of information.
Speaker 3: Although it might be useful for the initial diagnosis, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even then, like if even if you can just do an ooral thermometer as opposed to like the temperature if your forehead is X. Yeah, like if it's one hundred and ten, then the temperature of your forehead is going to be hot, right.
Speaker 3: I see what you're saying. Yeah, yeah, totally kind of.
Speaker 1: Versus you know, you're trying to get as inside as possible. I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember people doing cooling experiments where you had to take a pill when it measured your internal temperature and well bluetoothed out or something. Yeah, so that's fun times. I think that's cool. I want one rescue in it. Later sounds like not fun. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it does make an exit from the body. So with this again, right, you want to cool the person down, and the way we can do that it's like ice packs right in the groin, neck and scalp. So I used to do like just tights, Like if you're wearing tights, put ice in those and put those down my back of my cycling jersey, you know cycling. You can put them in the groins, obviously the person has become like a heat casualty. You can put them in the groin, armpits, the like the neck, and you can also if you don't have access to a c obviously you've got you can put the person in an air conditioned environment to help them cool down, you can put them in an ice bath. You'll see that, like at hot weather events. I'm trying to think there are a lot of other conditions, so you'll see a hot weather events we don't really have time to talk about. Things like rabdough are very very concerning if someone's exercising in the heat. But you'll often see at the end of hot events in first day tents they're popping people in ice bas to cool them down. They've got some of these symptoms, like fifteen twenty minutes I think is how long you want to put them in there for. But like if you're starting to feel headache, dizziness, and nausea, I guess my big take home here is to get out of the sun, stop exercising if you're exercising, and start hydrating. If you're not hydrating with with that carbohydrate solution, you're looking to drop that cool temperature, that core temperature below that kind of danger zone, right, and I really get it back to where what's to be, which I think in fahrenheit's around ninety six point six. You you probably don't want to actively cool someone all the way down because you can overshoot and they can get hypothermic and so like, then they can get too cold if you're like you know, dumping them in a freezer or like you know, actively calling them to aggressively. So that's something to be concerned with as well. And you don't want the person to start shivering because the body's trying to heat yourself back up at that point, so you can't be uber aggressive. But I think having said all this, like I said, the big take home is like, if you start to feel sick, dizzy underwell, when you're outside in the heats, get out the heat, get some water, get in the shade if you can, get their conditioning if you can. If you're at a job site, you know, if there's like a trailer where you with that's air conditioned, go in the trailer. Like it's not worth your life, even if it's your job.
Speaker 3: You want to know it's fun?
Speaker 1: Is that what's fun?
Speaker 3: In the United States, there's no federal law that says you can't make people work in the hot weather without hell yeah, some states less than half. I don't have the notes in front of me. I have the notes for a different thing I recorded recently. Some states like sixteen of them or sometime maybe have laws against working people outside and the heat, but most states don't. The federal government is like considering one right now, but that is like probably years away before it could be enacted. But it's like basic worker protections, like don't have people work outside without enough stuff to make sure they don't.
Speaker 1: Die of it. Consider forming a union. Yeah, google Blair Mountain for more information on how to respond if you're not allowed here, if you're not allowed to take breaks for the heat. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. Talking of how capitalism is killing us all, Margaret, it's time for us to break for some adverts so things people can buy.
Speaker 2: Oh we have we have some breaking news here, folks. We have some breaking sheep news. So it turns out during during during James's Last Sheep episode, he talked about having Texel sheep when it's actually Tesl sheep, so this is.
Speaker 1: Pretty No, they're definitely Texels.
Speaker 2: Who's pretty exciting here. Who is the largest northwestern islands of the of the Netherlands. It's one of those European places where where the pronouncidation, where the pronunciation does not match how it's written, and it's Tessel sheep. Not textel sheep.
Speaker 1: So this is.
Speaker 2: Pretty exciting for me, and usually James gets to make fun of how I pronounce words. Now and now now now looks so here we go?
Speaker 3: Here we should we? I mean, should we move into like machinations versus machinations or should we just move on?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I think we can just move on here where We'll just start a Buenos Aires and move from there. Yeah, Garrison, the Speaker of Free, I have.
Speaker 2: A hard life. They did not teach me how to say words in Canada. It was all I know. It was tongues. In the school. We couldn't We didn't actually learn much much English, so much woods.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't worry again. Yeah, we're we're all learning as we go. You see, there we go. Yeah, I've just I've just learned that that the place is called Tehsel and then that's the sheep from there.
Speaker 3: Is there an X in it or something?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yes, when you're yeah, is there an X all the time? T E X C L Yeah, I always see, but X sounds the X sounds like an S. Yeah speaking Yeah, fascinating. Yeah. Wow, And all my life I've been misnaming the very sheep that many of you enjoyed hearing about sad.
Speaker 3: That no wonder the sheep weren't coming when you called.
Speaker 1: They felt no they come disrespected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well never mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, to be fair, I just go out there and say sheep. So you know I'm hedging my beds with the pronunciation of that one.
Speaker 3: Well you want to talk about animals and heat waves, I would love to, Yeah, tell me it was me what to do with your sheep, But I talk about humans and heat and heat waves. So actually, ironically, one of the things that I learned I don't know whether or not applies to sheep. I was talking before this to one of my professional animal friends who has worked in veterinary clinics and also as a professional horse person. So there's some stuff to know, right for all of our all of the people who aren't humans. Different animals need different electrolyte feel formulas if you are going to feed them electrolytes, and for example, dogs need more sugar and less salt because they their bodies don't get rid of salt as much. Right, they don't really sweat nearly so much. Occasional pedialyte or some other like non gator ady thing is fine. Every now and then, and probably gatorides probably fine every now and then. But don't be like like you can go hiking and just drink electrolytes, right, not sugar water, but electrolytes. But don't do that with your dog, even if it's super hot out. There is dog specific stuff and there's formulas you can look up for dog specific making your own. Don't shave your pets. This is the one that I don't know if applies to sheep.
Speaker 2: My friend said, this does not apply to sheep. You have to share there. You want to have to share your sheep or else they will overheat and die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah, you want to share your sheep. Yeah. Some animals you want to shave. Some animals you don't. If you have animals, you should look this up ahead of time. Some people like run out and shave their cats and dogs if a heatwave. This is a very bad thing. The hair is designed to protect them from the sun. Also, especially like if you have a dog with a double coat, it does a lot of weird heat transfer stuff and it's really kind of cool and magic. Brushing and grooming are very good. If your dog is like slow to its summer coat or it's summer is suddenly here eleven months of the year, or as I predict, there's going to be two seasons. There's going to be summer, which will last for nine months, and then there's going to be hell mouth, which will replace what was previously summer. Don't take your dog out in the hottest weather. It is better that your dog pisses inside it gets heat stroke. It is harder to identify heat stroke and a dog, but if the dog is like panting a particular amount, there's like other things about looking at the gums and eyes.
Speaker 1: I got bitten by a dog that was having a heat stroke on my god, forsdy Li. It was good.
Speaker 3: I feel bad for both the animals involved in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah good, feel fairly secure in saying that the people who were looking off to dog on listening, but like, yeah, they made a series of very poor choices. Yeah yeah, and like it wasn't nice.
Speaker 3: Hiking is my main activity and it is like my main bonding with me and my dog, and I am not doing it during a lot of the heat wave, and I'm finding other ways. I'm you know, because I'm I have to drive a decent way to go hiking, right so I can't do it early in the morning unless they wake up earlier than I want to. But if you are going to do as sid activities with both yourself or with an animal, consider doing them at early in the morning or late in the evening or mid the night.
Speaker 1: I don't want it whatever.
Speaker 3: If you have animals that can't come inside, because overall, what it was going to apply to your animals is it was going to apply to humans, like get them into the ac Like what are you doing? But a lot of animals you don't have a room for inside, right unless you're a medieval Irish peasant, in which case I've read way too much about how much those animals live inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cows under the house, so the warmth comes up.
Speaker 3: So you want a crossbreeze in your barn or coop or whatever. If it's a coop, you want to make sure there's a place at the top for air to come escape. And you don't want the like box style coop with only one entrance. If you're dealing with heat waves, you want a lot of cool water that is easy to drink. And so a lot of people who normally feed their animals with like the nipple style feeders different animals, you have different ways of watering them. No, no nipple style feeders. During a heat wave, the animal needs to be able to get into the get the water easily. For chickens, you might want to bring your nesting boxes down to the ground floor where it's cooler. You also might want to consider insulating the coop, like with hay bales, for example, you can stack them up next to your coop. Horses have yet another electrolyte mix. My horse professional friend uses one called Gallagher's Water, but points out that it's like mostly bougie people use it when they're when most people have horses are bougie, but not all of them right at least where I live other places.
Speaker 1: Okay, so.
Speaker 3: It's only necessary in extreme circumstances. It's only better than water in extreme circumstances. Most animals do very well with just drinking water. And also you can probably consider if you live somewhere wester than I do, you can consider misting systems if you have the money and the infrastructure. And misting systems is basically just like it pumps water out into a mist and the mist cools everything down and below about seventy percent humidity. They're fairly effective. Below fifty percent of humidity, they're incredibly effective. And so they and it's not that you get wet, it's that they do. It's like it's like the air is sweating, the air.
Speaker 1: Is They're like you have in if you go to restaurants in Phoenix outside they have them. Yeah. I bought some really cheap of like Craigslist, like super cheap. I think, I hot you, I just have to go and get them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but no, I'm like so jealous because it wouldn't work where I live.
Speaker 1: You can't use them because of a high humidity.
Speaker 3: I mean they do a little bit here, but not very effectively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know your chickens don't want to be living in a too damp environment. Could be that that it lungs, so don't be running one inside all the time. Yeah, and againside, but I think it's certainly like my chickens will go around it when it's hot. It seems to it.
Speaker 3: And one person I talked to and this is like I did a bunch of research about this, but it's inconclusive. One person I talked to during the wildfire smoke actually set up a particulate set up a misting system because mist picks up and drops particular matter to the cloud. There's a lot of research that says that this particulate absorption happens. There is no research to say this is how you handle wildfire smoke with outside animals, but that is something that at least one person I heard from is doing, and science backs it up for human animals in terms of preparedness. Just to run through all this stuff that I've been keeping track of the way that you're going to deal with all this if you're not outside, right, if you're outside and you're dealing with the stuff, you're going to use what James talked about and like keep track of how you're feeling and get into the AC. I mean, the main thing you want to do is get into AC right. You don't want to distrenuous exercise. You want to check alerts on your phone or your weather radio. If you're a cool prepper and have like a little weather radio, you probably want to use the buddy system outside if it's getting really hot, if you can, right, just like having someone who can keep track of what you're doing. If you don't have another way to get to AC consider public libraries and other places. This is a very good actor time look after your neighbors. And some of your neighbors are housed and might not have AC. Some of your neighbors don't have houses and probably don't have AC unless they live in their vehicles, in which case they might have some AC, but not all vehicles do. And so it's a very good time to look after people. Whether it's giving people rides to public cooling centers, or whether it's setting up public cooling centers, or they're just letting your neighbor who like come over because your AC is working and theres isn't.
Speaker 1: You want to.
Speaker 3: I mean, one thing that you want to do is to accept that what we're dealing with isn't normal. And I'll get to that in a moment. But so if you're a renter, you have fewer options, right in terms of like structural preparedness, there are some things that you can do. Running fans, unless you're a podcaster, Running fans is a very good idea. If you have ceiling fans, you want to make sure that during the summer they run counterclockwise and during the winter they run clockwise. So it's just look and be like I wanted to push air down, and you can visualize the direction it'll turn to push air down, and that's the summer one.
Speaker 2: I want change the direction they spin.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is a little switch on every ceiling fan. I can see the one behind you.
Speaker 1: I can. Don't do it if you look on the screen. No, don't be a coward. Garrison like, walk me through it. Okay, I think I see it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but closer off and want me to put my arm up and then do it.
Speaker 1: It's less because you're going to stick your head in there so you can get a good look at what. Oh ah, no, Garrison's deceased.
Speaker 3: Oh well, good thing they left me their Gester costume.
Speaker 1: You'll never find out any more about cops.
Speaker 3: Cop City has to end because there's no other way for us to find out about it. They finally stopped, all right, So other things that you can do. Evaporative cooling is the coolest thing in the world. Again, if you're not in a human area. This is why humidity is absolutely terrible. And I picked the wrong part of the country to be from wet Bandana's wet clothing. There's actually like it's kind of sad. Was saying that there's no labor protections about heat. Some farm workers like developed a like an immigrant farm worker developed a cooling vest system that she's like working on that. There's like articles about where it's it just uses avaporative cooling to cool people. And it's like one of those things where I'm like that rules and also it's absolutely awful that that's like where we're at. Where we're at, you know, is not like, oh, let's have better labor practices and stuff. And if you have a house, if you have like a place that you can really do preparedness for, there's I mean, we'll just get an air conditioner. Don't run your air conditioner as like low as it'll go. It just doesn't actually make things any cooler. Air conditioners are generally designed and only cool things. I want to say, was it like thirty degrees below outside temperature or something?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think also depends on like the size of the relative space you're cooling and a BTU.
Speaker 3: Well, so I'm saying that they're sized for that by like regulation. If someone comes in as like, oh, what size AC should I put into this house, it's going to be I want this size house to be be cooled thirty degrees.
Speaker 1: I think it's thirty degrees.
Speaker 3: It might be twenty four, okay, And so if you run your fans, you actually can keep your thermostat up about four degrees. And if you don't have it, if you don't have AC, there's a lot you can do with like thermal mass right is your friend. Like if you have a you can choose which house you're going to live in. Living in brick houses is great or adobe houses. It depends on where you live and what your climate is. You want to keep your curtains closed during the day and open at night if you're trying to keep out the sun, but then let out the heat into the cool night air, assuming that there's still cool night air. Depends on where you live. As we enter into this nightmare world, Reflective window insulationy things like the thing that you put in your windshield can help. There's like stuff you can do when you accept that it's an emergency and you can okay. But then the other thing is that running AC's puts a lot of strain on power grid, and we're already starting to see more grid failure, usually in the brown out style rather than the blackout style. But when everyone's running their AC, the grid is not designed to handle it, and there are problems, and so one you get these like city wide text alerts that are like, hey, everyone, please turn up your AC like turned down whatever, make your AC less cold cold. And this is an example of something that we should do and listen to. But it's really fucking annoying because it's not our fucking fault that the world is heating up, right, And they're not like turning off Times Square. They're telling everyone, you know, they're not turning off the ads. Yeah, speaking of ads, it's a.
Speaker 1: Good time to pivot to some some more stuff. Yea, even it is waste wasting power.
Speaker 3: Even in the emergency, there's still the ads.
Speaker 1: Here you go.
Speaker 3: And we're back.
Speaker 1: Hopefully. It was for gold, which is useless in the death of the nurse. I just want to throw that out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it does keep its value compared to.
Speaker 1: Cash, just until neither of them have that.
Speaker 3: That's why whiskey Oh wait, no, wait, mutual.
Speaker 2: Aid Now, that's why I've been stacking up on my on my series of John's Version inspired n f T s that I minted last year, and oh boy, have they only grown in value? Am I. I'm telling you this is that, this is what's gonna hold me through whenever, whenever you know, the thing happens.
Speaker 1: Yep, I will be at your door with my wanting to try ammunition for apes, as I always am. Find me in the group chat.
Speaker 3: But there's one other group of people that I want to talk about really quickly about who we should check in on, and that is prisoners. There is no way from my point of view, I'm gonna have a lot of bias here. There is no way for us to justly face a climate emergency while we live in a carcoral society in Texas. This is where most of the news is right now. But that's not like it's better other places. As far as I can tell, in Texas, since mid June, between nine and twenty three prisoners have died from heat, but no one knows because Texas refuses to say that anyone has died from heat. They haven't done that since I believe twenty twelve is the last time they admitted someone died from heat. However, two thirds of Texas prisons don't have air conditioning, and a bunch of people are dying randomly of heart attacks in their thirties because they're dying of heat.
Speaker 1: Jesus correct.
Speaker 2: I think earlier in the first few weeks of July, when it was getting very, very hot, I believe it, it was a pretty young woman died in the Fulton County jail here in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, and it's they're doing an investigation to see why.
Speaker 1: So yeah, oh.
Speaker 3: Good, don't worry. The Texas State House passed money to put AC into prisons and then the Senate rejected it.
Speaker 1: Cool. Big thing is the money, because not much money in law enforcement, so I can see how they're struggling to afford that.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, Yeah, there was a oh I didn't write down the numbers in my script, but there was like a many millions of dollar budget surplus that they didn't apply to. Oh, I don't know. Not having people die for having been accused of owning weed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Whatever.
Speaker 3: I get really fucking mad about this, and I think that it is.
Speaker 1: Like it's fucking horrific.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then the last thing I really want to say is that this was the hottest month right that any of us have ever experienced. It will be the coolest month in our memory at some point, you know, or rather whatever, it's not getting.
Speaker 1: Coolest July our in our memory at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like next year might be a little bit cooler because of natural cycles or whatever. Right, but it's not coming back. We're not going back to normal. And for me, this month marks a sea change literally and that the Arctic Antarctic ice did not come back this winter. It's winter right now in Antarctica and there's a five or six standard deviation away from normal amount of ice there right now. Five to six standard deviations is more than if you flipped a coin one hundred times and it came up heads every single time. It is like more than a one in three point five million chance.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: It is a very big number. It is a very abnormal thing. Nothing like this has ever been seen before. And I don't want to say this to make people afraid, because I don't think we need to be. For whatever. Fear is complicated. You can't be brave unless you're afraid, That's what I will say. You cannot have courage. Courage is the act of responding to fear, and we should notice the fear and not let it control us. But it really is time for people to very seriously look at not what's going to happen by twenty fifty, but what is happening now, What is happening now, what will happen in the next three years, the next five years, the next ten years, and start making decisions based on that. That is what I want. I don't want to tell people what those decisions are. I want people to get together with the people that they care about and figure out what those decisions are. One of the things that I would recommend is building resilient communities, is looking at how to build communities right, And there's a lot of ways. A lot of like scenes can become communities, a lot of extended families can become communities. A lot of religious organizations are communities. Okay, how and then how to make them resilient? How to collectively look at how to handle these things, whether it's literally just having a plan for like, Okay, if the power goes out, who has the whole house generator where I live? Someone around being has god to have a whole house generator. I don't have one. I want one, but they're expensive. Whose AC is still going to be running when the power goes out? Right, or whether it's like, hey, how can we collectively help each other's houses have rain water catchment systems? Right? How can we collectively be building up food sovereignty as well as food storage? How can we have I want to see personally, I want to see days of workshops at community centers of all different ideological compositions getting together and being like, here's how you can food, Here's how you dry food. Here is how you set up mesh networks.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 3: I think it's time. I think that I'm tired of saying, hey, bad stuff might be coming because it's not might be coming. Now it's here and it's really bad. And I think people stick to the might be coming because they're afraid of despair. And I will say that despair is not good, right, but the but that is something that we can fight. How do we fight despair? Is also part of this? And that the answer to that is agency, and when we can find ways to act with agency, that is I mean, there's like studies about like in disasters, people who express agency have like less PTSD right when bad things happen. Yeah, and even if the agency, like I mean I remember all at one point getting arrested, right, and being like, all right, well, I'm keeping track of like I know that cops badge number, I know, I know this. I'm keeping track of stuff in case there's a lawsuit later. I totally lost that lawsuit, but like that helped me get through that situation. Right, everyone else won the lawsuit, but because I was in black block, I did not win the lawsuit.
Speaker 1: That's that's funny, that's funny. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Actually it might have been because I refused to give my name anyway, whatever, it was a long time ago, and kiss film this and just so yeah, act with agency. That is the solution. The solution it is. It's like, like, it's not the solution to despair. It's a way to deal with it. In the same way that we're not looking at solutions to climate change anymore. We're looking at ways to deal with it, right because it's already here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Some of the episodes that me and Robert research to put together for the original, like could happen near season two stuff is Yeah, a lot of us talking about like a mitigation versus adaption, And almost every day it looks like we're getting more and more committed to just all a full adaption model, because these things are really not going to be like the most common widespread effects is not going to be mitigated. There's still a few, like cataclysmic scenarios that that probably could be averted, but things are going to get so much, so much worse, and that will be to deal with that, we will have to adopt a large variety of adaptations. And it's gonna suck, but it's it's what we're gonna have to do. I don't know, I've there's there's a variety of reactions to this. I mean, I think I should just put together an episode on this sometimes in the future. But like there's as this as the intensity of the situations more and more, like, as as it becomes more and more clear, we're going to get a variety of reactions from especially for people on the right who used to be very much pure purely like ignoring or denying this problem. Some some some on the right have like have skipped over the whole part where they've been wrong for so many years and are going to start up applying extreme the authoritarian and like nationalist solutions to this. Others are just doubling down on denial because facing the facts of the horrible situation we're in is more and more like frightening. It's it's it's harder to admit that you're wrong and realize the the terribleness of the situation of the most recent example of this is I've been checking on the replies to to CTV News, which is one of the biggest Canadian like television news stations. They've they've put out a few stories about how July is the hottest month, and the in the replies to this story, it's there's just a shock and honestly shocking amount of of pure like flippant denial of what's going on. And this has been an increasing problem in Canada. And it's it's which is ironic because actually Canada's economy is probably gonna grow during climate change because they're gonna take over a whole bunch of agricultural production from the States. They're actually going to become a much bigger economic player. But the amount of just pure denial that that that we're that we're seeing in Canada and we're seeing get like increased is extremely worrying. Yeah, and it's one of those things that's really hard to deal with, Like it's It's also something I talked about in my hyper object episode. But like it's like it's the same thing if someone's like in QAnon, you can't like you can't like out logic them from qan on. You have to you have to you have to tell a better story.
Speaker 1: So this is you need a solid place to stand like before you can push someone, if you see what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like I don't know, it's it's just been it's been concerning because I've been seeing a whole bunch of whole bunch of these things about how this is the hottest month in one hundred and twenty thousand years, and yeah, that is uh an, that is a like a horrifying thing to learn, and you can like look at you know what this what the sources for this are. But the fact that so many of us are just just denying this is that like as you like you can go outside and feel it as well, like it's like it's and that's not how climate works all the time. But like I've certainly I think many of us have have felt the effects of this, and also like the death numbers can't lie either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and like I just got back from a trip which will be a podcast soon to the Marshall Islands, where it is extremely evident that sea levels are rising and if they continue to rise at the rate they're rising, then these places will be uninhabitable within the lifetimes of people who are alive today. And it's it's very odd to or very sort of discordant to see that. And then you log on when you get home and see someone being like, oh, it's natural variation, or you know, like oh, it's snowed last winter, or you know, some something which shows like a name incomplete understanding, but still like just a knee jerk rejection of of like all the evidence we have that the climate is changing and it's it's not coming back.
Speaker 3: But I find myself the same that I have that same feeling sometimes when I see people refuse to engage with solutions, even with people who just are like, sure, oh that's real. There's nothing we can do about it, so we're not going to try. Like feels very like and I don't mean like, I don't even mean a specific way of trying. I don't mean everyone has to go get arrested gluing themselves to famous things, or everyone needs to go set things on fire. Everyone needs to only focus on growing food or like. But just when I see people like just being like, well, there's nothing, so I'm just gonna not take it into account in my decision making. I'm like, even if your decision making is like, like I made the decision to move near my family because a climate change, I didn't move to where the climate is going to be magically stable. I move to where I can spend more time with people I love and be in a better position to take care of them, you know, Like I just I feel so like I don't know it was whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no it is. And it's very difficult to see people just sort of fiddle as the Titanic Sally.
Speaker 2: Shutting down is the is one of the easiest reactions to stress and ignoring both both the both like the like the like the v admitt like denial of this. As things are obviously getting more and more intense, the denial gets more and more intense. But so is like the types of like the type of dumerism that leads you just to like checking out of being like, oh this is so bad, there's nothing I can do, So I'm just going to completely ignore this. And then that's that's also another way of just like sectioning off this part of your brain so it so it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Actually impact you.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's functionally quite the same, and I can't.
Speaker 3: Blame people for it. And that's what I think. People often think that I am judging for them for that, and I'm not. I just feel like I'm it's just it's hard to engage with sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I think a good point to end is like, maybe the best prep you can do for climate change is not like buying a bigger air conditioner or moving to somewhere where you think there is a better chance that you personally as an individual will be better, but it's building a community that can be resilient and that can like weather the storm, and like having seen a country which is losing its very minimal amount of land to climate change and how communities have come together to protect each other during that. It's kind of reinforced to me how important community is as opposed to stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, Also with communities you can get more stuff.
Speaker 1: You can make your own stuff.
Speaker 3: That's true, seize the means of production, but not for the pure Marxist point for you, but from the I like joking, but I'm actually like, this is what people should be preparing to do.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, a.
Speaker 3: Climate revolution that's less about like, oh, we're going to put in someone smart in charge, you's going to fix everything, and more a climate revolution that's like we're going to create bottom up solutions and not let people stop us from creating bottom up solutions.
Speaker 1: Yes, that would be good. It'd be a good revolution. Consider implementing that.
Speaker 3: It could Happen here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening