Speaker 1: What's Good Command is saying. This is Brian Coole Jun and this is the Next Man Up podcast. Our Next Man Up is no other than Duran Pain.
Speaker 2: We talk about family life. We talk about being from Birmingham, Alabama, getting.
Speaker 1: His high school jersey retired, and giving back to his community. All that and more starts right now. What's Good Command is family. I'm Brian Coop with Jr. And this is Next Man Up where we take a deeper look behind the helmet of your favorite Commanders players. And the Next Man Up is no other than all big man in the middle, Dan Pain. Duran appreciate you being here.
Speaker 2: With his brother, nice goody good Yes, sir man.
Speaker 1: So, like I said, we like to look more into the man. You know what I'm saying, Not so much exits and those talk where we'd like to just talk about what makes you who you are. So first things, First things first, Birmingham, Alabama. Talk about that and what that place means to you.
Speaker 3: Ah man, just I love that place. I go there doing the off season. I got a home there, my family's there. I feel like that's just the place that made me who I am today. It's a lot, there's a lot going on there. A lot of people are like, we got a lot of good football players, but people get in trouble and there's a lot of trouble to try to maneuver your way out of. But for the most part, it's a cool place to grow up. I appreciate it because I feel like it made me who I am today.
Speaker 2: And you talk about all.
Speaker 1: Those things that are going on out there, how did you stay focused and be able to make it to the level that you've made it to.
Speaker 3: I feel like I was just like a sports head, like I just want to go to football practice, baseball practice, track practice, Like I'm at practice every day, so I couldn't I couldn't focus on nothing else but being my best self and getting ready for whatever else I got to do to this day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you went to Shakes Valley High right now, they just retired your jersey, gave you the key to the city. What does it mean to get that type of love from your hometown.
Speaker 3: I just cool because I grew up there and like, I try to come back as much as I can and give back to the community and do things with like the kids and stuff. So I just appreciate it because I can tell that they appreciate me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and you definitely give back because you just did in like an elite offensive lineman defensive lineman type camp at your high school right now.
Speaker 3: We did this year, we did just like the kids. We were supposed to do a who lot of D line camp, but it didn't really play out like we wanted to, so we just did and your like kids camp football camp. Yeah, So why is that important? Why is it so important for you to give back to the youth from your community. I mean when I was growing up, I used to go to like little guys, like guys that was in the NFL, I.
Speaker 2: Used to go to their camp.
Speaker 3: So I know, I'm really in touch with a lot of the kids that grow up there. So I just get a chance to see them and see how they're progressing over the years and stuff. So it's pretty cool. Then I got like all my little cousins they be coming out to the camp. Missle with them a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are those moments like, do they put perspective on you? Like when you see the key is when you're back with your family, when you're back where you came from, does that give you some type of perspective onto, like how you're dealing with now You're like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, six in the NFL, Like, does that give you a little perspective? Man?
Speaker 3: This is just crazy how fast it just goes. Like I feel like I was just a rookie not too long ago, and I'm an old head in the locker.
Speaker 2: Room, or you're still a young man and you're still you're still improving.
Speaker 1: I mean last season arguably your best season, and you made it to the Pro Bowl. You set the career record for the franchise in sacks, I mean career highs across the board, a lot of accolades, and you also got Washington Player.
Speaker 2: Of the Year.
Speaker 1: What are those all those things mean to you being a veteran now that you're not a rookie no more. Man, you've grown now.
Speaker 3: I mean just she was seeing, like you said, Washington Player the Year, just seeing like the people that got that award before me, like RK. Trick Williams and a bunch of those guys, Like those guys you as dogs of the team. So just to see that people recognize me as a player like that just means the world to me.
Speaker 1: You're very humble man, because even during like you have time to do a speech during that Player of the Year award, and instead of like you know, talking about yourself, you shout out your moms, talked about your moms. You made sure she was up there with you. Why was it so important in that moment to give her love?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: Really, that's easy for me, Like I don't like the spotlight, so for me, like, I know, she'd be ready to get out the house and do stuff, So for me to throw the spotlight on her, that was easy. Look at her.
Speaker 1: So talking about you in your mother's relationship a little bit, like you know, I know you guys are very very close. I know she means a lot to you. I know she's very inspirational to you. Just talk about you and your mother's relationship.
Speaker 3: No, man, She's just been there for me since the beginning, and she always had to deal with her health, but she always made sure that I was able to get back and forth door I needed to be and had all the things I need to do. So I just always try to repay her with the way did I like uphold myself and the way that I play on the field and all that little stuff.
Speaker 1: How did watch her go through her trials and tribulations affect you not only as a man, but as an athlete.
Speaker 3: I feel like he just taught me, like, man, you got to just keep pushing, like no matter what the circumstance is, you got to be able to just fight through whatever and just keep grinding no matter how hard to get.
Speaker 2: What are those conversations you guys have now?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, when you're a kid growing up, you know our parents are there to guide that some kind of keep us out of trouble and all that.
Speaker 2: But now you.
Speaker 1: Know essentially you've made it right. You have a long career, you've gotten the bag. You know you've made it. What are those conversations like now with your mother?
Speaker 3: I mean, my mom she cool. She pretty much just let me do whatever I wanted to do. She said I would do it anyway. But now it's cool, man. She just I know, she's pretty proud of me. She's always be seeing me being happy and just doing the things.
Speaker 1: I love you, and you definitely give back to your community, but you also make sure you take care of your mother. Back in twenty twenty, you surprised that with a crib man a house, a beautiful house, said that man talk about that moment.
Speaker 2: Talk about seeing your mother overcome with emotion in that moment. That was easy.
Speaker 3: I have been wanted to do it for a minute, and I had finally just got the opportunity, found the little crib for and we was able to get a moved in. Well, I feel like you want a new house now. We probably about to get her something a little soon.
Speaker 2: We'll be three years about that time.
Speaker 1: You don't want to be tough for a little upgrade. There ain't nothing wrong with that, your mother. It's an inspiration to you now you're in this year. What inspires you right now? What else aspires you outside of your mother? What inspires dron Pain to keep going and being this monster that you are on that field?
Speaker 3: Man, I just love playing football, like I love just watching film. Like after the game, my girls, you get mad at me because I come home and I get straight back on my iPad and I'll be watching film.
Speaker 2: All night of the game.
Speaker 3: I just like seeing I don't know, I just like seeing that, I don't know, just watching everybody on the field watching me and just watching other players and stuff like I want to critique myself, critique people around me. And I just love football honestly.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting because, like, you're so calm, it's so chill right now. As soon as you put that helmet on, mans soon as you go on that field, it's like a whole another person.
Speaker 2: What does that change? Like why do you have to get into that zone when you start playing?
Speaker 3: I made shoot, That's what I could be myself at, Like I could just go out there and just do whatever I want to do, honestly, But off the field, I'm really just chill honestly. I'll just be in the back vibe and cooland yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you have these moments where you get your mother crib, you go back to your high school, you do all these things. When did you feel like you accomplished everything you were trying to or do you still feel like you got more work to do?
Speaker 3: It's definitely more work to do. Like I know, last year, I was big on setting goals and just hitting those goals. So I pretty much hit almost all my goals last year. So I just was like, I'm gonna keep on doing the same thing and just make some new goals and try to just strive, strive and hit them in your chance.
Speaker 1: I get and I know your goal is to be the best. So I'm gonna ask you straight up. Are you and Jonathan Allen the best interior duo in the NFL?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: I think so if you look at actual plays and how we play and how we go about games, and actually turn on the film, you can see it.
Speaker 1: The last question for you man, had you miked up a few games ago and your boy too hell did a little celebration.
Speaker 2: You said, don't effort to that again. And why didn't you feel his dance? But did you give him some pointers?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: First he was it was like it took him a long time to do it. So I was like, you scared first off, and it just looked bad. So I was like, you gotta You think he can dance, but he really can't. Down He's always trying to dance when you may plays.
Speaker 2: So for those watching, what's the key to a good seller? Brad shit?
Speaker 3: I feel like, man, he should just stick to the gritty. You feel me like he's gritty is horrible, but that's what makes it good for him because it's so bad. We need to stick to that.
Speaker 2: I love the thounss man.
Speaker 1: Last question for you man, we got another NFC EA st opponent we're gonna be back at the crib playing in Philadelphia Eagles. That's your ICEO camera right there. Looking to that camera and tell the fans why they need to show up and show out for y'all this Sunday.
Speaker 3: Man, it's a big divisional game, is always big to win these and it's not even I mean it's a home game. So to be able to have y'all there fighting with us and being loud in the stadium, that really helps us out for sure.
Speaker 1: Man, we have no doubt the command this famous gonna pull up for you. We know you gonna show up and show out on Sunday like you always do. Drawing appreciate your time, man, ladies and gental. This is the next Man Up podcast. Brian Kobe here with our big many thanks, Commanders Fan. We love podcasts. We have a lot more for you on the Commander's Podcast Network. First up, we have command Center Podcast with Logan Pauls and Fred Smooth and Santana. It's like hanging out with your best friends but you're talking everything football. Then we have the Players Club that's with legends London Fletcher and Santana Moss and it's like sitting with your favorite Commanders players talk of football in a way that only those who played the game can. And of course we have the next Man of podcast. We sit with your favorite Commanders player and talk about the player behind the helmet not so much x and owes more about what makes the man. Will be back next Tuesday with another favorite Commander's player. All that and more on the command Durs podcast network.