Speaker 1: He today is proof that we're not always about just relationship dramama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brother sister drama. Yeah, yeah, that's right. Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning, and you have found the Second Date podcast. But today it's Tuesday, which means you we've got your awkward Tuesday phone call coming up.
Speaker 2: It's brand new. We think you're gonna love it, but we love to start. How's your voice, by the way, today better?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Oh you sound sound pretty good. I say you sound ninety five percent Alexis. Yeah, yeah, that's what I thought too, like.
Speaker 3: A seventy year old man to like a twenty year old maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's better. What do you got for comment?
Speaker 1: I saw one from Isaac who said, why do I feel like Jeffrey wears a suit?
Speaker 2: Whenever he's talking? He does give that air, doesn't he?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I can see that, which is funny because he talks like he wears a suit, but he dresses the opposite.
Speaker 2: I think he has four shirts. I think that's all he owns, and one hat. There's always a hole in them too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very fancy that.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: You're just lucky, you know that addresses that's true.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna get your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call started right now.
Speaker 4: It's Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning, and we've dealt with family drama on this show before. Has just last month, I volunteered to give Alexis's younger brother the Birds and the Bees talk.
Speaker 2: I love that. And now high school now.
Speaker 4: We already know, well now he just calls me, Dad, what you really got close after that conversation. We understand awkward family dynamics clearly, and we're dealing with one today after something didn't go so right at a children's birthday party a year ago. It was so bad that it's still causing a rift in the family that we're being asked to settle today. I'm probably gonna have to get ready to explain how certain things work. But you'll find out what happened in your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call right after this.
Speaker 7: It's awkward, It's Tuesday.
Speaker 4: It's awkward Tuesday phone call. A few months ago, you all might remember we did an awkward call for one of our listeners who needed help, asking the best man at her wedding to politely back out because they used to date and her fiance wasn't aware of that past relationship.
Speaker 6: Yes, she.
Speaker 2: Want to tell us, right.
Speaker 4: So we called the guy. Eventually they worked it out. But now fast forward to today and guess who's emailed the show asking for our assistance.
Speaker 2: Does that mean we get an update on the wedding? Did the wedding happen?
Speaker 4: No, we're not going back. He has a new problem that he wants to deal with. The best Man Brad has called in for help with a different situation in an awkward call, Brad, welcome back to the show Man.
Speaker 5: Hey, thank you. Yeah, you guys kind of surprised me on that last ones. I figured, you know what, it could probably be helpful on this situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were kind of the victim of the last Awkward Tuesday, and now you're more the protagonist here.
Speaker 5: I hope. So I don't really know what's going on.
Speaker 7: He's not sure what protagonist means, Brooks.
Speaker 4: So you got it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're the person who's calling needing help.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, character energy, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You're the main character of this Awkward Tuesday phone call. So what's the situation that you're dealing.
Speaker 5: With So this is a little more tame than last time, for sure. But I'm just having an issue with my sister Jenna right now. Quick backstory, I guess I'm divorced. I have two kids, two boys, four and six. I love them. They're awesome, hang out with them all the time. They're my buddies.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 7: Yeah you have to say that though pretty much, but.
Speaker 1: Just in case the court's listening, I love them still, I'm kidding.
Speaker 5: It also has to do with the situation. So, like I found out my sister's having a birthday party for her daughter at her house. Uh huh, Well, like my mom's the one that told me about it. She's just like mentioning it, like obviously, like I was going, but I didn't get any invitation about it. I didn't hear anything about it.
Speaker 1: Are you sure, because my husband's always like, I didn't see that birthday invite.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's what I'm saying. So I figured she's my sister. She sucks at communicating anyway, So like I texted her, I didn't like outle like say it, but I was hinting at it. I was dropping some huge hints and she didn't say anything, which made it even more obvious.
Speaker 7: What you feel like you weren't invited to the party on purpose.
Speaker 5: I feel like I know the reason, and that's what's so upsetting about it.
Speaker 7: Really, there's a reason.
Speaker 5: So like she's probably upset because last time there was like any like birthday event in our family, Like I brought my kids and they were rowdy, I want to say, a couple of boys. I mean, yeah, they were loud. Yes they were knocking everything over. Yes, they have to trash their trus on everything and whatever they is they do. Like I don't get it, he asks, Like the four year old he's throwing tantrums because he didn't win a game. He's like screaming how he wants to be the rotten egg, Like it doesn't even make sense. And then my four year old is just pouring candy on the floor and then eating it off the floor.
Speaker 2: Your kid is doing that.
Speaker 5: Both of my kids are doing both of those.
Speaker 7: Off the floor.
Speaker 1: So you're saying you think your sister isn't inviting your kids to the birthday party because they're so misbehaved.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I mean, like maybe I'm making it sound like it's not like they were like lighting things on fire or anything like God forbid. But no, obviously I know they're misbehaving and like I know, I've had to talk to them and stuff about that. It's hard to crall to boys when they're running around by yourself, believe me. But their kids and like their family, like, really, you're gonna exclude them because like they were bad ones?
Speaker 2: What do you think she'd tell you that, like sibling to sibling.
Speaker 3: But I think that's why, Like I don't have kids, but when you see bad kids, you tend to blame that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if it's your family, you just have to accept no matter what the behavior is. So wait, because this is their cousin's birthday, right that they're not getting invited to.
Speaker 5: Saying I want them to see their cousin, like I want them to be able to hang out. Like I just need help convincing changing your mind.
Speaker 4: I think, okay, okay, you're not going to do the thing where you just show up uninvited and crash the party like a lot of family.
Speaker 7: Members would do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's such a little brother.
Speaker 5: I want to they have a pool, like it'd be really okay.
Speaker 4: You want to do the polite thing, And actually it sounds like call your sister and ask permission to bring your children.
Speaker 5: Yes, I would like to squash the beef as we would say.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's I feel like that's a mature move, like actually talk about it in a family instead of just everybody talking behind each other's backs. Your mom, you got like four other group chats, don't include.
Speaker 2: Each other in it.
Speaker 4: Okay, but you feel like you're going to get pushed back from your sister, and that's what you're looking for advice on.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, my sister can be terrifying a little bit. Yeah, so wait, so what's the like mission, I get to put it all out there so it's not awkward, and then like I guess, like I would assume then it would just be business as usual.
Speaker 1: It's a little touchy too, because you don't want to start more drama from a phone call like this.
Speaker 2: There's already enough, it sounds like in your family.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't want to be like I'm sorry and then just assume I'm invited either.
Speaker 1: Oh, you you actually want to apologize for your kids behavior last time?
Speaker 5: I mean, if you guys think I need to do that, like that's what I'll do, But like I'll take your advice, but I've tried that route and she's pretty stuck in her way.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean it sounds delightful.
Speaker 4: It is her party, her house, her rules, so her pool. We're looking for her blessing to get them over and if she says no, then we'll unleash your children on her house to finish the job that they started.
Speaker 2: It's time of fire.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, don't get out when you got to go to the bathroom in that pool.
Speaker 2: What their kids are going to pee in the pool?
Speaker 7: Didn't get that, but I got it.
Speaker 4: Anyway, We'll come with some advice for you and let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call to your sister to get your children invited to her daughter's party.
Speaker 7: And your awkward Tuesday phone call coming up right after this.
Speaker 5: Thank you? All right?
Speaker 7: Man, hold on, it's awkward.
Speaker 4: It's it's awkward Tuesday phone call. Scientists once claimed it was impossible, MythBusters refuse to even test it. Wow, the question could candy infuse children spend three hours at a birthday party and be somewhat well behaved?
Speaker 7: It's scary, you know.
Speaker 4: Answer we do because it happened a year ago for Brad when he brought his children, four and six years old, over to their cousin's.
Speaker 7: Birthday party and the two.
Speaker 4: Of them ended up causing chaos and mischief. Yeah, it's all the stuff little boys tend to do, so little kids, right, And I need to ask you, Brad, didn't your children.
Speaker 7: Break anything while they were over at their aunt's house.
Speaker 5: I mean, there was a broken lamp when we were leaving, but I didn't see what happened to it.
Speaker 2: You're just like the boys watch responsibilities.
Speaker 4: And She's like, yeah, own and his children did leave with a light bulb that day, but you can't connect the two of them.
Speaker 7: Okay, Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 4: Now, maybe Brook has some advice for you before we call your sister and try to convince her to let your children attend this year's party, hopefully, Brook, What do you think I mean?
Speaker 1: I think when it comes to an older sister, what you need to do is butter her up.
Speaker 7: And this is getting really greass.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, make or feel good, make or feel wanted needed, that's what all. Yeah, you need to take the angle of You need parenting advice, okay from her the expert.
Speaker 7: Yeah right, you like to know that they're smarter too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Have you been doing things to help correct your boys behavior?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I've been trying to do like some stuff here and there, like really trying to like get them to hone in and stuff.
Speaker 4: But okay, that might be worth bringing up to your sister if we can get her on the phone. But Jose, what do you think? Do you have advice?
Speaker 7: Well, kind of the same.
Speaker 3: Anytime I want something from my sister, I buy her present. Oh, during the call, just tell her you have a bunch of chocolate covered strawberries for anytime she wants, and immediately she'll be like, oh yeah.
Speaker 7: Come on over chocolate covered strawberries to your sisters. Yeah, every Mother's Day.
Speaker 5: I sent her her birthday.
Speaker 7: It's kind of a sexy gift too. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Chocolate.
Speaker 4: Okay, so maybe, yes, bribe your sister with some sexy chocolates.
Speaker 7: What do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think I want to leave the sexy chocolates out of it.
Speaker 7: Okay, normal, normal chocolates and normal for us.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna take a combo platter from each of y'all's like, she's smarter than me. She loves to rub that in my face. So let's just put that angle.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're getting an invite at the end of this.
Speaker 4: The boy Brook wants to see if her kids can be invited too, so we'll work on that afterwards.
Speaker 2: It sounds like though his sister has some good goodie bags. I'm not gonna lie. She sounds very type A.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, we'll get your invite after we do this call with Brad.
Speaker 7: So I'm gonna dial your sister's number.
Speaker 4: You can use whatever advice you want to, but we'll back away and let.
Speaker 3: You do this.
Speaker 7: You ready, ma'am?
Speaker 5: All right, fingers crossed.
Speaker 7: Okay, good luck, Here we go.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hey, Jen, what's up?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 7: Brad?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's Brad.
Speaker 6: What memory are you calling from?
Speaker 8: Did you get a new phone or something?
Speaker 5: No, no, that's not important right now. Look, I you have a stack real quick. I threek if I could just talk to you real quick?
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Okay, cool, Yeah, she only take a few minutes.
Speaker 3: Like, so.
Speaker 5: I heard from mom you're having a party. Oh she told you? Yeah she did, because like I was just talking to her about that and then like it kind of just came up and she was asking what time I was going to get there?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, yeah, we are having a party.
Speaker 5: Okay, So like long pause again, I uh, did my invite get like lost or something?
Speaker 6: Well no, no, non, exactly. Come on, Brad, you remember what happened last year when when the kids were over.
Speaker 5: Dude, I know, but like listen, that's not gonna happen again.
Speaker 8: Come on, Oh can I trust that.
Speaker 5: The kids are older now? They're a whole year older. They're four and six. Now. A lies changed in the past year. Come on, Brad, dude, I know it wasn't good. I'm telling you that.
Speaker 6: They literally attacked our room bow with the tennis rackets, but.
Speaker 5: Like that was actually funny. Come on, how was that funny? Because they hit it a bunch and it was making weird noises and stuff. I thought you were laughing. What are you talking about, Brad?
Speaker 8: No, that's not okay, Like, look, that's not the point. The point is we are family, Like we should have talked about this a long time ago and not let it fester like this. I want our kids to hang out like they're.
Speaker 5: Literally cousins, Like what are we doing here being petty?
Speaker 6: I mean I want that too, but it's just your voice, Brad of offense. But they're like walking little nightmares.
Speaker 5: I want to say you're wrong, but they are. And like, Okay, I've done some stuff about it, and they've made a lot of progress. Like I was looking on YouTube a lot, and I found these awesome, like dog training videos that they actually love. So I've just been using that. It works.
Speaker 8: Brad. You cannot train your kids like dogs.
Speaker 5: They act like dogs sometimes, So why wouldn't I just watch these videos? Honestly, I can't imagine them licking themselves in a corner.
Speaker 2: You're talking about your own children.
Speaker 7: Doos, Brad?
Speaker 8: What is going on?
Speaker 5: Who are these people?
Speaker 2: Respond to?
Speaker 3: Jenna?
Speaker 4: I need to actually tell You're on the radio right now. We're a show called Brook and Jeffrey.
Speaker 7: In the Morning.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Brad, Brad, he reached out to us for this segment we do.
Speaker 7: It's called an awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: He just didn't know how to handle this situation going on where his kids weren't invited to your daughter's birthday party.
Speaker 6: Well, if you saw what his kids did last year, you would understand. People literally left the party early because his kids were causing such a wreckage because of them.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, yes, listen and you are the aunt in this situation.
Speaker 2: I think it takes a village.
Speaker 1: You have to take some responsibility, right, it's also your family exact in that way.
Speaker 6: I only have so much control over these kids. I'm trying to run a party. I can't be babysitting.
Speaker 8: That's his job.
Speaker 5: But not asking you like co parent or anything. But like, if you have any like helpful hyinnts, that would be super helpful.
Speaker 2: I tell them the lead with that part.
Speaker 6: But well, let's start by not using YouTube dog training videos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good club, there might.
Speaker 7: Be some merit in that you tell your kid to sit and stay.
Speaker 2: No, Jeff, No, no, no.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, fine, But Jenna, can you help out your brother here because he's kind of heartbroken over the fact that your guys' kids aren't going to be able to hang out for a birthday party.
Speaker 7: It's important. They're family, and yeah.
Speaker 2: They're yours nephews. Don't you want to help guide them in the right way?
Speaker 6: I mean, I would love to, but I also don't want to lose precious, valuable furniture like the lamp Auntie gave us before she passed.
Speaker 8: Oh no, you can't prove that.
Speaker 5: No one of us heard it break, So how did it break? I didn't do it. He didn't do it.
Speaker 2: The apple doesn't fall far from.
Speaker 5: Bra.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I see where they get it from.
Speaker 7: Really, Bra, you talk to your sister.
Speaker 5: You really want to have them be those the strange cousins that don't even know each other like these.
Speaker 8: No, I want to be the cousins that we meet at the park where.
Speaker 7: They can't break.
Speaker 2: Not your house, right.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe maybe like get a bounce house or something and they can just kind of like run alock in that bounce house.
Speaker 6: Curiously, That's all I need. Then the tip over that bounce house with everybody else's kids.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Is there any time before the party where the four of you could get together.
Speaker 7: And like party.
Speaker 5: I'll even bring talk with covered strawberries if you want, like anything.
Speaker 6: Oh you know how much I love topic cover strawberry.
Speaker 7: Oh my god.
Speaker 8: Okay, looks Brad.
Speaker 6: You can bring the kids, but they cannot go in the house, and that's your responsibility to make sure they.
Speaker 8: Do not go in my house.
Speaker 7: No, they can sing happy Birthday through the windows.
Speaker 2: She has a pool, all right, Well that's.
Speaker 4: That's a nice compromise that she's offering for you, Brad, you're at least allowed on the premises bathroom outside.
Speaker 5: I mean, we'll take it for now, and we'll just figure out a way to get inside or something.
Speaker 2: I don't kids know. They're going to do the opposite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mean those dog training videos don't work, all right.
Speaker 4: The important thing is we're reaching a compromise here, and it sounds like, Brad, your kids are going to be allowed to attend their cousin's party.
Speaker 5: Perfect. And that was before I bought them a leash.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hey, bring the leashes.
Speaker 5: They might need to tie them up.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, Jenna, you better be careful. It sounds like these kids are gonna try to mark their territory.
Speaker 6: I'm already knowing freaking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 4: Getting a lot of text into seventy eighty five nine two saying that compromises even worse than where we started. Having your kids stay outside the party and peek in through the windows.
Speaker 2: Come on, most of the party will be outside. They have a pool.
Speaker 3: I still worry about the bathroom now, especially with the pool, where are the kids gonna go?
Speaker 1: I worry about who's giving these kids boundaries because I don't think it's a dad, and it's definitely not the ant y.
Speaker 7: Where's the mother. I'm invited to this clearly, but I have a feeling.
Speaker 4: Once they do get over to the ant's house, they're gonna be okay. She'll either soften up and let them inside, or she'll just be terrified that they're lifting up their leg and peeing on the bushes from all those doctrin and videos.
Speaker 2: They learned it from their dad.
Speaker 3: No, honestly, if they have a bad day and they're not good kids, are they ever gonna be invited back to their ant's house. There's a lot of pressure on.
Speaker 2: We do need updates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Well, we'll stay in touch and we do wish Brad the best of luck raising his kids. Good luck for sure at those parties. You can find all of our Awkward Tuesday videos by the way up on our YouTube page if you want to go check them out.
Speaker 7: They're at Brook and Jeffery