Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Hey, me and TJ here and we have a special first of the year episode of our podcast Here for You that is actually inspired by Ava Monroe.
Speaker 2: Yes, my daughter, Yes, twenty one years old actually now, and she is a very wise young woman. She always has been. And she showed me yesterday that she made a list. She actually put it up on Instagram things I've learned this past year. And her list was very very cool. It went from being insightful we can't necessarily choose how we will react, but we can choose how we will respond things like that, and then I think she ended it with always jump in the water, even when it's cold. But it was a cute list that made us all think, and so we thought we might come up with our own list and encourage other people to do the same a list.
Speaker 1: Yes, we've had a hell of a year. I guess we should say, first of all, to everybody, a happy New Year Year carry twenty twenty four. That has happened so a lot of people turning the page. At a part of turning that page sometimes you do have to look back and take those lessons with you into the new year. So, based on and again inspired by Aba Munroe. We had some other ideas we were throwing around about this podcast, but we kind of liked that when and we got plenty of lessons we learned the past year that we could pass along or things were going to take with us. But we both made lists, but we haven't seen each other's list. So Robock has a list of how many of you got?
Speaker 2: I think I have just under thirty.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was up to about thirty seven.
Speaker 2: You won.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a competition, but it was, but if it was. But these are all so we haven't seen each other, so I am very curious to how this is going to go. So you want to kick things off, we'll just go back and forth.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't even know which one to start with. But choosing love is always worth it, and it's always worth it.
Speaker 1: Okay. My first was there are some friendships I lost in twenty twenty three that will never come back, and I need to deal with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an important lesson to learn. I learned. Seeing my daughters happy is my greatest joy. Seeing them sad is my deepest pain.
Speaker 1: Good Lord, and I have seen that. I don't know how many people, maybe your parents outside of me. I have seen what it means to you when those two aren't okay, and even worse when they aren't okay and you think you're responsible for them not being okay. I have seen that, so definitely that's true.
Speaker 2: And we've ended on a very high note. Yes, I have to say my greatest joy. I just want to add that this season has been seeing my daughters happy again.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you all have been bouncing off the walls for the past couple of weeks, and that's been great. It's been great to see you. Actually, it kind of built up after the trip, the Thanksgiving trip yep, that you all took, so you all have. It's been very fun to watch you girls. My next one here is limiting access to you doesn't make you arrogant. It makes you purposeful and means you're intentional. It's okay to be discerning about who's around you. It's not you being arrogant. It's okay.
Speaker 2: I like that, all right. I learned that friendship companionship is as important, if not more important, than chemistry, Okay.
Speaker 1: I learned in twenty twenty three that just because you're busy, that doesn't mean you're doing a good job, or that you're getting a lot done.
Speaker 2: That is true. I've learned that you don't really know someone until you divorce them.
Speaker 1: Moving on, My next one is I learned in twenty twenty three that forgiveness has nothing to do with the other person. It has everything to do with me.
Speaker 2: I've learned in twenty twenty three that you can lose your job, you can lose your reputation, you can lose friends, and you can lose most of your worldly possessions and still be happy.
Speaker 1: Well, you lost most of your worthly I did.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of selling going on. Oh you a giving away.
Speaker 1: Oh it was a great yard cell. It was a great yard cell. My next and twenty twenty three, I learned that you should not let your bad days trick you into thinking you have a bad life.
Speaker 2: I like that. I learned that yellow roses make me smile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I learned they make you smile too. They make me smile. Now, I love that story. We'll get back into that. We'll do a whole episode on the age of innocence. That's a whole episode on it. My next one in twenty twenty three, I learned that it's very difficult to find a bar that can make a good skinny marguerite. Oh you know what.
Speaker 2: On that note, I learned that April spritzes are even better when you skip the club soda.
Speaker 1: And I learned in twenty twenty three that Gay Beach in Portovararta will forever be one of my favorite places. This is I have ever visited on vacation.
Speaker 2: That is amazing. I learned in twenty twenty three that I actually like oysters.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, I was there for that. I learned in twenty twenty three that worry is not going to take away tomorrow's troubles. Rather, it's just going to take away today's peace.
Speaker 2: Wow. I learned that Prince has so many songs that I had never heard of before, and I like them all.
Speaker 1: And you are welcome for that. I learned in twenty twenty three that people have a tendency to judge you for your worst actions, but they judge themselves by their best intentions. That is so true.
Speaker 2: I learned not to be invested in outcomes twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: I learned you can't depend on karma being a bitch, because sometimes good things happen to bad people. Sorry, it's just the.
Speaker 2: Way it goes. I learned that it's you're gonna love this one. It's better to fall into like and then walk into love. Ah, God, should I deliver that with the appropriate cheesiness?
Speaker 1: So you fell in like and then walked in love.
Speaker 2: I chose love after falling into like. I couldn't help how much I liked you. I just always liked being around like.
Speaker 1: With me, I did. They kind of stumbled into love.
Speaker 2: I purposefully walked into love.
Speaker 1: Like you tripped.
Speaker 2: There was a stumble or two. I still love a bruises, but it's okay.
Speaker 1: I learned in twenty twenty three that the smartest person in the room is often the one who realizes just how little they know.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think Socrates has a quote saying the wisest man in the world is the man who knows he knows nothing.
Speaker 1: There it is.
Speaker 2: It's one of my absolute favorite quotes.
Speaker 1: Well, I've seen it play out a little more this past year.
Speaker 2: Yes, I hear you. I learned that I am apparently always off rhythm because I dance on the ones and threes. I snap my fingers on the ones in threes.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's actually on my list that I learned in twenty twenty three that Robot dances to music on the one and three notes. This. Look, this is it's our thing.
Speaker 2: I want to expand it a little because it's not just me perhaps.
Speaker 1: No, it's all of you, No, a lot.
Speaker 2: This is fascinating to be there.
Speaker 1: It is, but you didn't know it until I started pointing it out. And it is. And people talk about white people can't dance, and white people off beat or off rhythm and all this, but it comes from ye. I've seen this happen as music's playing. It doesn't matter how banging of a hip hop hit it might be, and how dope the beat is. You are going on a one and a three, which is the exact opposite of me and a lot of people I know of black people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of a certain color, you're gonna say, you all dance on the twos and.
Speaker 1: Fours in it's a the clap, the beat, the rhythm, it's the two. It's natural. So when I tried to do a one in three with you, I was like, how in God's name are you doing this?
Speaker 2: And I feel the same way about the twos and fours. I've tried and I can't do it. It's so counterintuitive to me, and I never realized that that was the thing until you pointed it out. And so we've tested it on people, and it's kind of true.
Speaker 1: Just have you just had you watch the room and look at the beat that some of your folks were.
Speaker 2: That was a big lesson I learned.
Speaker 1: But we've had fun.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, was that yours then? So it's my turn again? All right? I've learned that wipe Out is perhaps the best show on television.
Speaker 1: The original older version version of you like the new John Cena version.
Speaker 2: I like them both, but old school's kind of cool because they said things and comment on things that would never be allowed now. I think you would actually get canceled. So it's kind of fun like you're watching something you shouldn't be. I enjoy it immensely.
Speaker 1: With a new version two they but I think maybe because they're on cable they can get away with some things as well. But I don't know why that show is just continues to do it for us. It delivers every time, all right?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty three, I learned that it doesn't matter how many times I watch them. Elf and Love actually are just two movies. I am never going to be into.
Speaker 2: That is such a shame because those are two of my favorites. I know, And I'm still trying to get you to watch The Holiday. Well I did, Well, did you actually watch it? See you say you watch movies and then you don't.
Speaker 1: I'm remembering now, we watched it. It was on a plane and I didn't have the audio.
Speaker 2: All that's correct.
Speaker 1: I saw what was happening, and turns out I guessed every scene correctly.
Speaker 2: That's the thing with rom comms. They're predictable, and that's why people like them because they know what they're gonna get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I tried, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're there. Usually aren't twists to a rom pound like you know exactly that at the end they're going to get together. Right. In twenty twenty three, I learned that TJ's chimmy cherry sauce is the bomb.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, that's good, that's good stuff, all right. Twenty and twenty three I learned that sometimes people have to pretend you're a bad person just so they don't have to feel guilty about the things they.
Speaker 2: Do to you. Well, in twenty twenty three, I learned that I like holding hands. You just learned this right, because I think if you can remember, I used to say to you, and this was a joke. I wasn't a hugger and I didn't like the hold hands. And now I.
Speaker 1: Know about the hugging thing. Is everybody around you never wanted to hug anybody, given your own children.
Speaker 2: Stock Well, it's just I don't know. I don't know if you're born that way, if you grew up a certain family dynamic. But I just was never a big hugger and never a big handholder. And it doesn't mean that I didn't have strong feelings of love and friendship for people. It's just not how I expressed myself. But I now holding hands.
Speaker 1: Why but you said it has nothing to do with any level of love or affection. But why did some switch flip you?
Speaker 2: I like holding your hand.
Speaker 1: Because I moisturized? Is that what it is? I have very soft No.
Speaker 2: You made me feel safe. I don't know. I like holding your hand. So that was a big about pace and I learned that about myself. But maybe it was just I needed you in my.
Speaker 1: Life, all right. You are you always reach for my hand, even if my hand is in my pocket. You'll still put your arm I do, and interlock in some way. You do as everybody has seen, probably right.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure it's been documented.
Speaker 1: Twenty three.
Speaker 2: I learned.
Speaker 1: I learned that white people really love casseroles. I didn't know how much we do.
Speaker 2: And you know, I made a great one for Christmas for the girls. It's my mom's potato casserole. It's got hash browns, cream of chicken soup, canned Campbell's. Usually, it's got sour cream in it. It's got a lot of shredded cheese in it. And oh, one of the magical parts about it. You saute green onions in butter first, and you mix it all together. Then you squish it all into the castrole dish. And here is the other amazing part of it. You get some corn flakes, you crunch them all, you spread them all over the top, and then you melt butter and drizzle the butter over the corn flakes. You bake it in the oven at four hundred for forty minutes. Oh yeah, and you will not have tasted anything better in your life.
Speaker 1: Are there raisins in there somewhere in this one?
Speaker 2: Oh? Raisins are a staple and a lot of cash roles. I'm not a fan of that. To put that on the record.
Speaker 1: It's a weird. But there are another that you said that, the potato one, and there's a I swear there's another one.
Speaker 2: A lot of them have cans of soup in them. Oh I mean, oh, yes, I've made like a spaghetti casserole where you put it in and you've got the cheese on top, you melt it. My grandmother used to always make that. Okay, it's just it's a it's an easy dish that's tasty that you can serve up easily for a lot of people. The look on your.
Speaker 1: Face discussed No, I learned. I've never been a castle roll guy. I have never liked the castle role. I didn't grow up around crest castle roles at all. But to see you not just that you can make one or two or three, like your level of enthusiasm for a castlerole and you're like, oh, the girls are going to adjust did like they're begging for a castle role?
Speaker 2: Is they are? That's actually not an understatement, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: So I learned that I was going.
Speaker 2: To bring some over to you, but it was all gone The.
Speaker 1: Next year how when is Easter.
Speaker 2: I'll keep on the food theme because I learned this year that I can't always eat the way I do when I'm training for a marathon.
Speaker 1: Again, the running is just an excuse for how you want to eat.
Speaker 2: But when you're training for a marathons, sometimes you're running up to forty miles a week, so you can kind of eat almost anything and justify it because you need the fuel. You need to replenish the lycochen that was lost in your legs, et cetera. Now, I think if anyone out there has followed me for some time, they know that I was a hardcore keto head for a while, and I still like to not have carbs or at least get my only carbs for vegetables. But when i'm running, well, excuses anyway. The last month has taught me that I need to go back to my old way of being more healthy in my choices. But yes, that was a lesson learned.
Speaker 1: You know what are we going to do the New York City half?
Speaker 2: Well, that's up to you, because you learned that you don't like cold running in the cold.
Speaker 1: You know what, In fact, I think I'll skip down to one of these that I have on my list that has to do with the cold. Where is it here? It is? I learned in twenty twenty three that I hate running in the cold, but I hate running on a treadmill even more so. I hate the cold. Yes, we talked about it. That half marathon this year. I think it was in the teens when it started, and it was the worst run of my life, training run or actual race.
Speaker 2: It was the worst of my life and it was the best of my life. It actually was a personal record for me. But you could argue that it was because we just wanted it to be over so quickly.
Speaker 1: I sure did, but I was still following you the whole time. And man, it was great to get to the end. I get some water and a castle roll in me to replenish.
Speaker 2: All Right, more lessons learned coming up? All right, more lessons learned in twenty twenty three that hopefully we can put to good use in this new year. In twenty twenty three, I learned that my family is awesome. Like I already knew, they were mostly awesome, but they were extra awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was a special year in a lot of ways, in those relationships. That's all that happen in unfold, so that is a good one. I learned in twenty twenty three that some of the best weight you can ever lose is the weight of other people's opinion of you.
Speaker 2: I like what you did there, that's very cool. I learned that there are more kind people in the world than me.
Speaker 1: I learned that multitasking is not something to be proud of.
Speaker 2: That. I learned that surrendering is powerful. It seems like it might be weak when you hear the word surrender, pull up the white flag. But when you really surrender to whatever is happening, that is where your true power lies.
Speaker 1: Got it tattooed on my arm surrender as a nice little reminder of what you just said. What else? I learned in twenty twenty three that it's not change that's actually painful, it's your resistance to it that causes you the pain.
Speaker 2: I learned that I never want to go back to the grind of morning television. And I learned that I don't miss the job. I miss the people agree with you.
Speaker 1: There. I learned in twenty twenty three that what other people think of you is actually none of yo damn business.
Speaker 2: I learned the horror movies actually help my mood when I'm down or sad, and I think the reasoning behind it is at least I'm not being possessed by a demon. I mean, it could be worse.
Speaker 1: I was following you. I didn't know you were going to go with some really twisted logic there at the end. I'm not feeling good today, Let's watch a slasher.
Speaker 2: Well have we not done that a lot?
Speaker 1: Well, we watched them anyway, we don't watch them mega selves feel better?
Speaker 2: Were we watching them every day before last year? No?
Speaker 1: Well, we were going to work.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we had structured days back then and probably didn't have time to watch horror movies.
Speaker 1: We have no structure.
Speaker 2: Now, do you have a few favorites from this year?
Speaker 1: Favorite horror movies?
Speaker 2: We've seen so many?
Speaker 1: Oh, the first thing out of your mouth has to be talked to me.
Speaker 2: That is what I have down to.
Speaker 1: It has to be the first thing out of that was so good, Oh my yead oscar worthy good? Yeah, that is where I will skip down on my list. In twenty twenty three, I learned that I would be willing to campaign for Sophie Wild to get an Oscar nomination for her role in Talk to Me. If y'all haven't seen this movie, you get on it today.
Speaker 2: It is. There were so many good horror movies this year. Evil Dead Rise Ooh, that was brilliant. And I didn't even realize it was a whole and someone who watches and is considers herself a horror movie officianadn't. I did not even know it was a whole series. The dates back into the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 1: Even I think they've only made five still, five or six of them worth the weight O movie. Okay, that movie is amazing, but yeah, Sophie Wild and get to your point talk to Me, Oh, that is the movie of the year for me.
Speaker 2: I've learned, and I guess this goes back to my worldly objects losing most of them. But I've learned that material objects are meaningless.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty three, I learned that tabloid stories aren't reported, they're planted. I got all education in this this year.
Speaker 2: That's a good one and very true. In twenty twenty three, I learned, and this was surprising to me, that I sleep better now that I'm living authentically. It actually has had a huge impact on my sleeping before, and I think you'll know this. I've talked about this. I was either taking melotonin sometimes I would take trazodone to try and sleep. I would have white noise blaring. I couldn't sleep unless it was on. And I had to play Candy Crush for like ten minutes before I tried to go to sleep, to quiet my brain and to just kind of numb myself in a way. I had to do all of those things sometimes together, but at least one of those things had to be in place for me to fall asleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was familiar with your habits. It was any time if I needed a question or I need to text you at night, I knew say, hey, have you done Candy Crush yet, because once you do that, it's done.
Speaker 2: I'm done. But now I actually fall asleep on my own without any sort of drug or it's noise. I can sleep. I can sleep on planes. Now.
Speaker 1: I still have to read you a lullaby though every night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's my favorite part of the night. But no, I slept on a plane the other day. I've never been able to sleep on a plane.
Speaker 1: That was an exceptional twenty four hours. You had previously.
Speaker 2: Still I can't recab I had my head on your shoulder. And also I'm like, wait, we landed.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, okay twenty twenty three? What else I learned? My list continues with I or learned that even the person treating you poorly is going through something. Give him a break.
Speaker 2: You've said that. You know, even with some of the photographers that were on us, that was very frustrating and could easily make someone angry or say something or do something that maybe they wouldn't want documented. You always took the kind approach and you would go up to them and say, who you're working for? Did you get your picture? Hope you have a good day, And you just said, hey, he might have a mouth to feed, and this is the only way he can he can work. Someone's rude on the subway. Maybe they're trying to get somewhere that you don't know what's happened to them. You don't know what their day has been like, you don't know what their life is like.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and sometimes people are just jerks. So there are those folks out there. But I start with giving somebody the benefit of the doubt, because I know Goodhill well both of us. At some point you snapped at somebody or something small because of something they had nothing to do with, and just everybody's going me. Life can be really hard, so yeah, I give people a break.
Speaker 2: I love that. I learned in twenty twenty three that there are no horns where people don't hank their horns in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Yeah, we were really amazed. Maybe it's just our New York experience, but yeah.
Speaker 1: It was in those small Maybe it's against the law, maybe we should look that up.
Speaker 2: But it was remarkable. Traffic jams, people walking the street. We never once saw anyone honk their horn, which I loved and appreciated.
Speaker 1: And no, it's good to be home, back to New York. I learned in twenty twenty three that I will never understand why Sailing by Christopher Cross is considered such a great song. I won't understand it. I'm respecting it, fine, I just I don't get it.
Speaker 2: When you walked in the door, we were getting ready for New Year's Eve. I was getting ready for New Year's Eve, and I quickly raced to try and change the music because Sailing was on and I knew you were going to make fun of me. You were like, this is your get ready to go out music. I would say, sailing is good at any time of the day, in any experience. At that moment, yes, I was enjoying it.
Speaker 1: I came in hot, like I was ready. We had been separated for a couple hours during the day. It was time to get back together. We were going to start getting to clothes together. And I put the music on, get the drinks flowing, and I get down the hallway.
Speaker 2: Here sailing it completely changes your mood right for the better.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I learned in twenty twenty three that feeling misunderstood is one of the most difficult human experiences.
Speaker 1: I learned that girls grow into and out of style phases really quickly.
Speaker 2: That's true. And I've been able to kind of tell you what's coming next because it's so funny to watch the bean dress the way and Elise was dressing a couple of years ago. So yes, more to come.
Speaker 1: When is when does this one in the the I live on the streets, and.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it's chic and none of these clothes fit me. We call it yeah, yes, yes, I think that's what it is. Hobo chic I've never understood that it's kind of grunge on steroids, because I remember grunge in the nineties, but this is taking it to a whole new level where you actually are laughing at the clothes that they're wearing their like XXL.
Speaker 1: Sabine even laughed the other day that she grew out of a phase to where she had I don't even know what phases is where she would have her her pants hiked up so high but then have the shirt tucked in in the front. What is that.
Speaker 2: We be?
Speaker 1: She wanted to do that all the time, and it drove me crazy. She even was laughing about it the other day, like, I'm out of that one.
Speaker 2: Well, there could be a preppy phase. I saw Eva go through that. Then there can be what do they call it emo? All black.
Speaker 1: She's with the oversize.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's black, black hoodie, back weatpants, oversized pants, black boots, everything. Yeah, well, she fits right in in New York.
Speaker 1: Drives me crazy, is the thing.
Speaker 2: I have learned that expectations are the root of almost all resentments future resentments. So I've learned that when you can and I don't ever want to lower my expectations, of myself. But when you lower expectations of things you cannot control, it's life is a lot easier.
Speaker 1: What about expectations of people? Should we not sell? Okay, this is where I learn into trouble. Sometimes I have an expectation of someone that I don't state, but then sometimes they state and give me an expectation I should now have with them, and they don't deliver on that. So where are you in the expectations you like?
Speaker 2: If you're looking for peace, if you just let people be who they are and accept them as they are, then you can choose whether or not you want to be around them. But if you think you're going to change them or that you can require something of them, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment and yes, resentment.
Speaker 1: I learned in twenty twenty three that it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out your correct thc edible dosage. A lot of trial and error.
Speaker 2: How's that working for you?
Speaker 1: The thing is about trial and error when it comes to thac edibles. Even your errors are a good.
Speaker 2: Time and it really helps if you don't have a job, so you can have freedom to conduct those experiments and still, yes, live your life. What's your Have you found out what yours is?
Speaker 1: I'm giving you all I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Give you on this Topicay, I have learned in twenty twenty three that it's never too to start again, to start over.
Speaker 1: I learned in twenty twenty three that having a good travel partner is everything. And I got two people, you and being is a wonderful Sabine is a wonderful person to travel with one on one. She's just done it so much that she just gets it. She knows she's better than most adults in traveling. And you've of course traveled so much and we're always cutting up and clowning and liking the same things. And so it's been great traveling with you too.
Speaker 2: I agree, and Avan and Elz are also the most incredible travelers because I think what happens is and you know, when you're traveling sometimes it's I'm not trying to laugh at someone, but you see how miserable people are. You're going on vacation, and yeah, traveling sucks, though it does, but you know what it is. You have expectations that things are going to go right, that you're not going to hit traffic, that right but people are upset that things didn't go exactly the way they wanted them to. And so that's why, because they rarely do. When you travel, if you can bring along a little bit of levity, it makes a huge difference. And so if you go in with that attitude, you can laugh when everything goes wrong. I mean we had Sometimes when things go wrong, you end up having experiences you wouldn't have had otherwise. Oh, it can actually be a blessing.
Speaker 1: They can. But if you go in you're right knowing that we have seen everything in our traveling days. We've traveled so much, so this is very little you can throw at us and we'll go, oh my god, I can't believe this happened. So it's good to travel with somebody who has that same experience.
Speaker 2: I like that. I've learned that, while turning fifty is absolutely a privilege, I am very discouraged by this one thing. This is the thing that I have been most frustrated by getting older. And I've learned that your eyesight deteriorates no matter who you are, and I cannot see a menu.
Speaker 1: Now, So this is me. I'm going to get more and more attractive to you as your eyes.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's part of what nice. I'm serious biology, it might be actually being kinder so I can't see as well up close, So that's probably a good thing as we age.
Speaker 1: Right, No, but you might start finding other people more attractive too. That's a problem for me. But no, you're right about the eyes. It was yeah. Look I don't have that issue yet, but to see it now and how you deal with it, and it's in a different respect.
Speaker 2: Bought me reading glasses for Christmas, Yes, and I love them, but.
Speaker 1: You have some nice ones. All the ones you have are you know? They always disposable anyone who has.
Speaker 2: The same issue, anyone over the age of probably forty five, most people. I have so many reading glasses and they're all from CBS read so they're they're cheap, and they crack when you open them up and close them, and they might not look the best, but I lose them a lot.
Speaker 1: So but I wanted you to have a nice pair or two. So Warby Parker, thank you for this. Try try on at home, try on. But yes, you got nice classes. Now we'll see how long they last. But they look good on you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: One point two five right.
Speaker 2: Right, But I'm I'm going to one point five pretty soon.
Speaker 1: How soon? I just got the classes.
Speaker 2: I'm trying, I'm trying. I'm fighting it, I'm fighting it.
Speaker 1: I have learned in twenty twenty three that Olivia Rodrigo is freaking awesome in concert. This young lady is amazing, and I really respect a live artist. So I learned that very recently, all.
Speaker 2: Right, in twenty twenty three, I have learned that true friends are those who are still there for you when you have nothing to give.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty three, that cancer scares are constantly recurring for cancer survivors. Yeah, we all have somebody in our family or some a friend, or somebody by some that we're connected to that has dealt with cancer in one way, form or fashion. But we when you live with somebody and somebody you love every single day and there's like a daily conversation or a daily I feel this or daily I don't know about that or should I. There's like a constant reminder every day that something could go wrong. Like there's not just a six month or a one year checkup type of thing. It's a constant something that makes you think, ooh, could this be it.
Speaker 2: It's a lifetime of fear of recurrence, but it's also a lifetime reminding you that life is short and to live to your very full. So there's a there's a curson, a blessing with it. All right, our final lessons when we come back, all.
Speaker 1: Right, we got just a few more lessons learned in twenty twenty three that we are going to pass along one more for me from twenty twenty three, I learned that I'm actually interested in getting married again. Look, it's nobody wants to be divorced once, and certainly nobody wants to be divorced twice. And I didn't turn me off to relationships. It turned me off kind of to the idea of getting married again. But here I am. So I learned that in twenty twenty three. I also learned in twenty twenty three, thanks to you, yacht rock is a thing, is what I learned. It's a real thing.
Speaker 2: It is, and it's enjoyed by many.
Speaker 1: I've learned that as well. I went to a yacht rock wedding recently.
Speaker 2: Oh it was amazing, it was. I've learned in twenty twenty three that if you go onto Spotify, you can find a playlist that says music that gets white people turned.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. You're welcome. And for anybody out there who needs to entertain white people, group.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: It's guaranteed hits.
Speaker 2: It's embarrassing how spot on it is.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was confused while you were playing all the music I like that you never listened to, and so I actually asked you, what playlist is this, never expecting you to say music that gets white people turned.
Speaker 1: And they nailed it. Every single time.
Speaker 2: The nailed it.
Speaker 1: Also, on twenty twenty three, I learned that this two shell pass really is true. So many people told us that, and you don't believe it in the moment, but it's true.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it takes longer than you think it will, but it will pass. I love that I learned in twenty twenty three that people reflect back to you what you believe about yourself, and so it's important how you think of yourself, how you regard yourself, because that is what people will reflect back to you. And when you're feeling shame, when you're feeling blame, when you're feeling guilt, when you're feeling down, it matters how you think of yourself.
Speaker 1: That was some of the best I remember that quote not quote. It was a message from Candy Carter. I love you out there, Candy, But she sent this text to me. I know I shared it with you, but she said, you need to remember who you are. You're starting to believe what other people are saying about you, right like you're just some random viewer out there reading this stuff about TJ. Holmes. And she said, you actually are starting to believe what people saying about you. Yep, snap out of it.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: My next one twenty twenty three, I learned that it's not my fault that the sports brought inserts keep coming out during the wash. I didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 2: I have learned that I spend, in a like an absurd amount of time trying to get those inserts back in correctly not folded over. I need somebody to do better to make a sports braw where that is not a constant source of frustration.
Speaker 1: I just know I feel bad about it, but it turns out it's a thing and it's not my fault.
Speaker 2: That was a good one, baby, Yeah, that made me laugh all right in twenty twenty three, and I'm going to actually quote something that I learned. Gossip is one of the most rampant and pervasive evils in our culture today. Matthew Kelly wrote that in his book Life Is Messy, and one of the reasons he says it is that gossip can never be undone. It actually changes the perception, which becomes reality. And we've all done it to other people, and I think most of us have all been recipients of it. But I just want to remember how evil gossip is. I've learned that, and I've made a valiant effort to not participate in it.
Speaker 1: What's the there's a longer excerpt. There's a whole section he wrote in that book about gospel because you shared it with me a long time ago. But it's great. We should get into that and we'll put it out there for people to see at some point. But it's it's think of the times you've stood around a water cooler, you stood in the bathroom at work and started whispering or something about somebody passing something along that type of stuff. You think it seems so minor and you're not doing any harm. It is just awful.
Speaker 2: It's crushing.
Speaker 1: It is it is, But no that's a say his name again. His name is Matthew Kelly, and Life is Messy is the book and my last one here lesson from twenty twenty three. I learned that it's possible to spend a whole year with somebody and still miss them when they get up to go to the bathroom. All it's been we you and I have spent an exhort amount of time together.
Speaker 2: Absurd. I think we probably have spent enough time together that we should have been married for ten.
Speaker 1: Years, and that I don't think that's overstating. I don't neither the amount of time we got to spend together. You feel like you need a break from Oftentimes in relationships, you want to break from folks and you need to be away from them so then you can miss them. And I've just never had an experience like this. I'm happening with you and we were. Some would say curse, but also we could say blessed to have what we had the past year and to be where we are. So happy New Year to YouTube, Mama. I'll see you this year a.
Speaker 2: Lot, a lot. I'm not going anywhere, maybe do the bathroom a couple times.
Speaker 1: I'll miss you all right, really, folks, happy twenty twenty three, twenty twenty four to you. Hope there's as excited as we are to turn the page on twenty twenty three, but also take some of those lessons with us into twenty twenty four. You aren't going to give them the don't know where to find us? You remember people were saying, yes, yeah, I hope that we're not going to edit this out. We're going to keep this just like this. Look, some of you all complained, including some of our family members and friends, that yo, the podcast ends too abruptly. We don't like you're going going. We might even be into some and then boom, it stops. And so I just stopped, and I thought Robes was going to pick it back up, and she did.
Speaker 2: Sorry. We're usually really good at communicating with our eyes and I can pick up where you leave off and vice versa. But I just dropped the ball completely. So yes, as we wrap up the podcast, everyone, you can follow us on Instagram, AJ Roeboch and yours is official teachers. I don't even remember now maybe we should follow you, and then of course you can follow the podcast at Amy and TJ Podcast. We'll see you all a little bit later this week.
Speaker 1: We probably should have just let it into abruptly