Speaker 1: Ruby. I had a client who ended up using movers and he lost an entire wardrobe box. There was I believe thirteen Gucci shirts in there. His entire collection of ties was in the bottom of the box, and his collection of belts Man. So not only was his move twenty five hundred dollars, he also lost thirty thousand dollars worth of products.
Speaker 2: WHOA Welcome back to grown Up Stuff, the podcast where we figure out all of the things you feel like you should know by now but maybe don't, because I know I certainly don't. I'm Leah Palmery and I.
Speaker 3: Met Stillo, and today we're talking about moving, which can be so exciting until you realize you have to move.
Speaker 2: I think moving is the universe's way of making you a question every single thing you.
Speaker 3: Own, especially when you're carrying a box labeled miscellaneous that weighs seventy five paths. And then come all the adult things that no one talks about, like transferring utilities, changing your address, setting up your Internet.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, somehow the Wi Fi appointment is always at least three days after you've already moved in always yeah.
Speaker 3: Every time. Today we're getting the ultimate moving checklist from relittered Dag Larsen, So your next move can be a little bit more organized and a lot less chaotic.
Speaker 2: Well, we look this up and found that affordability is the number one reason people in the US relocate. Moving for a job is the second reason. So with affordability top of mind, let's talk about the hidden or unexpected costs of moving, because I think one of the first things people think when I think about moving is just, oh, this is going to get expensive. So, Dag, what are some of those costs that people often overlook or don't know about.
Speaker 1: Ooh, my first three? Remember utilities and starting utilities. People always forget that you have to go and get your heat and you're cooling. Those can be three four hundred dollars initiation fees all the time. Same with if you're setting up internet for the first time, you're moving from home. You've never had internet that could have an upfront charge. Hopefully you have good credit that you can actually get approved and get that. I would say those are big surprises. And then people also forget little expenses that you have right when you move in, like key deposits. I've seen them up to three hundred dollars nowadays. Wow, So you start to factor in that, and I think people underprice how much moving costs and what you're quoted and what you actually pay are rarely the same.
Speaker 2: I also factor in things like how much am I going to spend at the container store when I want to organize myself, So that's also one thing that.
Speaker 1: I keep in mind.
Speaker 3: Yet, Yeah, I hadn't even thought about that. I'm just like, oh, yeah, I'm going to get a new couch. But yeah, I mean the utility fees, the Keith deposit, all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are the small ones that definitely count. And also in this type of day and age, there's a lot of people who might need to put down more than first and last. And I do tell people, you know, you should be ready for that. Yeah, it's not a mandatory thing, but if you really need to move when other people need to move, sometimes that can happen too, So be ready for that.
Speaker 3: Do you have like a number you recommend setting aside, like three thousand dollars?
Speaker 1: I have two numbers. Okay, I have a number for a person just moving for the sake of moving, and then I have a number for a person who's moving out for the first time. So for the person moving out for the first time who's not used to paying a monthly rental bill, you don't think about it until you start paying it. I always say, within your budget, have an extra month of rent ready because you just don't know what will happen. You really don't, and you might be lined up for your second month of rent. But once you move in and you're paying these initial startups for everything, the money is depleted. So I would say you want that, And I always say, if you're moving, try to have a buffer of fifteen hundred to two thousand dollars just incidentals. Your first initial buy. You need to get some detergent, some toilet paper, the most simple you know, oil, salt, pepper, basics, and that's all going to add up for sure.
Speaker 3: So let's think about moving as three separate parts, packing and getting ready moving day, and then the early days at a new place. So what are some packing up the house tips?
Speaker 1: Get really clear in what you like and don't like that's in your existing home, And why are you spending time moving stuff that you don't want? Why are you paying movers to move things you have no use? For you're moving clutter from one place to another that will just go down a garbage choot or into a donation bin. Number one, declutter and b ruthless. You already know that you winter coats you have no use for yep out, don't move them to your new place. Start fresh.
Speaker 3: I love that Marie condo it and then whatever is left you can just pack up. And another tip I heard you can leave clothes on their hangars and in dresser drawers to make packing and unpacking easier. Oh and if you're taking a part in any furniture, to make it easier to move, keep all those little bolts and screws and things together in a little baggy and tape it to the piece of furniture they belong to so it all stays together. But then if you hire movers you can pay a little more and have them pack everything for you. They usually assume the liability of something they pack gets broken and transit, but if you packed it, it's on you.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So that makes me wonder if I spend the money and hire movers or am I really a boss lady and I can do this all myself? So dag, what's your advice for like movers or not movers.
Speaker 1: I've said this before in a video, and I was very clear in how I worded this. If you are physically able to move boxes and do your own move, do it. Just do it, especially in a first move. At the end of the day, you will spend thousands of dollars on movers. There is no guarantee that things will not break, so it is out of your hands. And I also, again outside of finance, I'm a big believer that says, you know, stretch yourself to the limit, and if you can do something, do it. If you know how to make yourself a coffee, make yourself a coffee. If you can lift a box and you're kind of strong, do it. I mean call it exercise, and call it an effort in using your will to do the most you can.
Speaker 3: When I was a kid, I moved myself all the time. I lived in Manhattan, and I kind of moved around to different dorms and stuff. And I always moved myself because I was a kid and I had no money, and I had a lot of friends.
Speaker 1: And so friends and a pizza party, yes the way to move.
Speaker 3: And we actually we carried a couch one time through Washington Square Park. One of my favorite photos that I have of me and my friends will helping me move, like sitting on that couch in front of the arch in Washington Square Park. But now that I'm older, and because they do rank moving up there with one of the most stressful things that you can do in your life, and now that my knee doesn't really work that well more, I would probably go the hiring movers right perfect, you have your out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is actually a perfect thing. And this was going to be my next segue. Outside of physically able, there are also people who are physically able, but they work around the clock NonStop, so that is where there's always an exception. And then another thing I would say is there's so many different tiers of movers. So maybe if you have the heavy couch and you have the heavy table, you can find movers that will just move these large items, but they do not pack, They are not wrapping your things, and you're holding onto all of your valuables yourself. So I would say you can always use movers for the heavy lifting and then do the light stuff yourself. Nothing wrong with that, and lots of companies do that.
Speaker 2: So what are some things that people should definitely not pack to put in the mood being truck? Like, what are some things that I should like maybe put in a box and carry it myself or put it in my car? Like, what are the things I should keep not necessarily on my person, but kind of like in my eyesight for the whole time I'm, you know, doing this move.
Speaker 1: Any important personal documents those are key. Your passport right should be with you, insurance should be with you, and anything of like true sentimental value. Yeah right, anything that is really personal identifiers, keep that on your person. And then medications.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah good.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: When I was a kid, I moved across the country and I remember like a big thing was that we got to our house way before the moving truck did. So for those who are going to have kind of like a first night in their house before the truck arrives, what should be in that first night box? And why is it important people pack one?
Speaker 1: Okay? So number one, I think every single human being needs to have a blow up mattress. They fold down to nothing. Those are the best. Obviously, your medications, a toothbrush, and I always say you can keep the same clothes, but maybe your undergarments, like one of each. Like maybe bring some underwear, some socks, maybe a little, you know, undershirt.
Speaker 3: I always say paper towels. I don't know what you feel like. You get into a new place, you don't have anything, you need to cook, you order a pizza. Maybe things are a little dusty in the bedroom, and you want to do some cleaning up before before the boxes get there.
Speaker 1: So I'm the person who goes before the moving truck to do the thorough clean first, because I don't want to put my things in other people's dust. Yes, So I say, your first night, you should probably also bring a bunch of cleaning products and you should just go and be like a great cleaning person for the day because you are moving your stuff in there. And also when you do a deep clean, you can discover all kinds of things that you maybe didn't notice before. Here is a fun thing that people don't realize. You could move into a place that has carpet and everything looks wonderful, and the second you put a heavy box on the carpet, termites can start to come out of the carpet, or cockroaches can come out of the carpet. I've seen this happen before, and this has been in places that are like brand new, newly renovated, and maybe have some original carpet in one part of the house. So you want to clean and know everything in your house before you start moving your stuff in.
Speaker 2: No thank you to bugs.
Speaker 4: Yeah new fear unlocked.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, new fear unlocked for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to add a few things to our first night box. Some betting to throw on that blow up mattress, something to cover the windows with, and maybe coffee and my coffee maker. But the most important thing might be the phone and device chargers. Put those in that box and mark the box with some different color packing tape or make sure it's like really labeled in large print. I also think you're going to want to tell your movers if you're using movers, to put that box on the truck last so that it comes off first.
Speaker 4: And if you know you're going to beat the movers to your new home, just keep the.
Speaker 3: Bucks with you.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So the other thing about moving, I'm a big post it gal myself. I love a to do list and I'm always making big ones.
Speaker 1: I'm a cue carter.
Speaker 2: Oh see look at you. Okay, great, wonderful.
Speaker 1: Mine are always color coded.
Speaker 2: Yes, good, okay. So on that list is going to be everything that I need to take care of, when do I start changing my address and who are the companies that I really need to let them know, like hey, by the way, I'm leaving this one place and I'm going to this other one, so charge me accordingly and make sure you have my information up to date.
Speaker 1: I would say the two most important ones are your driver's license okay, And I always suggest to people for mail forwarding. Once you have your least signed in an order you're moving at the end of the month, get mail forwarding, And I always suggest do it for six months, just so that you can slowly, one by one go into the apps and you can change your stuff. But you know, something might just go on the wayside. You don't really think about it and then you're like, oh, right, like I needed to change that. I would say, once you know your move and start doing that. But number one license and then let your bank know. Oh yeah, those are the key ones and also really important if you're ever moving in with another person, let's say, into their least property, make sure you're getting all of your mails sent there, so there is proof that you are somebody who lives there.
Speaker 3: That's a great point. You typically need proof of address for government and financial services, things like getting a real ID at the DMV, registering to vote, opening a bank account, applying for loans, setting up local utilities, or enruling children in public school.
Speaker 1: This is very important for people for sure, and again that is for your own protection of going into a home. If there's no mail in your name going there, it's hard to prove you live there.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about setting up utilities, because one of the easiest ways to avoid moving day headaches is to do that before you arrive.
Speaker 3: About two to three weeks before you move. Contact your providers to schedule services at your new home, aiming to have electricity, gas, and water turned on at least a day before you move in. Don't forget trash and recycling pickup if you're moving into a house, and don't forget internet services either. Installation appointents can book.
Speaker 4: Up quickly, so schedule yours as early as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then leave your old services active until the day after you move out. You're gonna want things like water and electricity while you're doing that last clean so you get your security to.
Speaker 1: Paus it back.
Speaker 3: And another tip I heard was to snap pictures of the electric, gas and water meters before you leave your old home and when you arrive at your new one.
Speaker 2: Wait, how come?
Speaker 4: Oh, just so you have proof in case you get charged for the previous or future person's usage.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes sense. I'm not paying for them, only for me.
Speaker 3: Thinking about logistics paperwork, what documents, receipts or records should people keep throughout the process that might come in handy down the line.
Speaker 1: You should always maybe have a monthly bank statement and have a clear line of where your rent came out, your utilities came out, and all of that, just because then you can always explain it down the line. If you're moving again, it's like, hey, here's all of my proof of rent. That's what you want to hold on to.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back after a quick break, and we're back with more grown up stuff.
Speaker 4: How do I don't?
Speaker 2: So we talked about getting ready to move and then moving day, But now I want to talk a little about what you do once you get your keys. What are the first three things that you should do? Like, okay, this is where I'm going to be living. So what do I check off right away?
Speaker 1: The second I'm walking into the door. One, I'm going to check all of the keys work and they've all been cut properly. Quick tip, and then we'll circle back to that. We always pay key deposits. If you're paying a key deposit, don't ask for one key, ask for multiples. I don't care. You tell them I need one, my wife needs one, and I need one for the dog walker. You were pre paying them two hundred dollars for keys. They don't cost that much, so that would be number one. Number two. Once I go in, the first thing I'm checking is the furnace. I'm checking that the air conditioning works. I'm going to go to the furnace and I'm going to make sure the filter is fresh and good. And then I'm going to go to every single water anything. I'm going to run a sink to confirm the pressure and make sure it's running smoothly. I'm going to check the showers and run them a few minutes, and I might run some of my water ten to fifteen minutes and go watch around, maybe have somebody in the lower level make sure there's no leaking and no surprises. And then also check your electrical plugs because if you notice a whole panel is off, it's a great way for you to learn how to use your fuse box. Or it's your first move and day, so your landlord is going to be more accessible than two months down the line. And then there's never a oh, maybe you broke it. No, I just moved in. I open the door, it doesn't work. So make sure the moving components of the home are working. That is your key. And make sure the furnace and heating and cooling are in good order, super important. And also I'm a firm believer you got to live in space to know what works for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm one of those people that's like, I just want to be settled right away, But until you're in the space, you really don't know how your body moves in it, sort of like where you want to put your coffee cup down each day, or where the sunlight is going to be strongest at different times. And so like I do think a little bit of time living somewhere first then helps give you a better idea of like what furniture you're going to need and where absolutely.
Speaker 3: One thing I wanted to talk about is what are the services that people should be thinking about around this time. I'm thinking like home insurance, lawn care, past control, security.
Speaker 1: If you rent a place that has grass, it's not your problem. That's the problem of a landlord, unless you work out a deal where they're kind of like, are you good with this this, and then it becomes a tenant landlord together thing, and a lot of people are good with it. They're like, well, of course I live here, I'm going to shovel my snow. You're not legally obligated. And because you don't own the home, it makes sense, right because at the end of the day, it's if somebody trips on property. I'm not the existing owner of the property, so you can't tell me you need to salt your stairs on property that isn't mine.
Speaker 3: And then renters insurance or homeowner's insurance, that's definitely something to look into. Renterer's insurance is designed to protect you, not the building you live in, so it typically covers your personal belongings if they're stolen or damaged, provides liability coverage to someone who's injured inside your home, and can help pay for temporary housing if your rental becomes unlivable after a covered event. What it doesn't cover is the building itself. That's your landlord's responsibility, or certain disasters like floods and earthquakes, which usually require separate insurance. And renter's insurance is generally pretty reasonable for what it covers.
Speaker 2: I think I paid twelve dollars a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. Like I like to think it's all pretty manageable.
Speaker 3: A lot of people use like home security systems and stuff when they set up, you know, like locks on the doors and the windows and alarm systems.
Speaker 1: Oh, if you're renting in a home, security for the wind for sure. If you're in a condo or apartment building, I guess that's optional. But the thing is you already have a lot of cameras coming, Like they're going to notice if somebody I don't know comes with the big acts in the elevator and they got off in fourteen they know they're on the fourteenth floor. Yeah, but I would say, oh, yeah, you definitely want some version of recording of something. I have internal cameras in my house because I'm really neurotic, And I've also had a person break into my home while I was there, so I keep myself very safeguarded.
Speaker 2: While we're talking about safety, what are checks that every homeowner should do during their first week in a new home. What should we be doing with our locks and with our garage door openers and security codes and things like that.
Speaker 1: I would always want to change everything. You want to change that garage coach, your own unique new one. If there's existing cameras, you want them to be signed out and you want to resign in. You do not know who's watching that other side. Yep, you just don't know. Locks and doors kind of hard and a rental because you can't do much about it, Like you can't change the locks, right, so that would be kind of tricky. And then one thing I always suggest to people too, especially if you're new to an area, is while you're looking at an area, my strongest suggestion is go during the day and see it, to see the light in the place. But you really need to go to your local neighborhood when it's dark out. You need to go there at ten at night, and you need to see what your neighborhood is. Yeah, because you know stuff comes out at night that we don't see during the day, so know what you're getting into. Take an hour or two walk around the neighborhood and maybe try to get a glimpse of who the neighbors are, because it could be very different living beside a group of twelve people in one house or living beside this little elderly couple and their cat. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would also say, we have things like the next door app or like the Citizen app here where it's like next Door's supposed to be like neighborhood, like hey, we're having a tag sale, come whatever. Citizen is more like somebody is punching something over here on this block, like it's a little more crime driven. But all that is to say, maybe glance at the apps to where the neighbors are commenting on what's happening in the neighborhood, so that you can sort of get a feel for like what's happening and who your neighbors are going to be.
Speaker 1: And Facebook can also be your friend because there's so many condo buildings that will have these like little groups. Yeah, so for sure that I totally agree. Know where you are moving, yeah, and also make a list of your essentials that you need, Like if you are a daily grocery shopper. The nearest grocery store cannot be twenty minutes away, right right.
Speaker 2: Also, just on the technology front too, are there any smart home devices like security systems or other apps or technology upgrades that you recommend setting up right away when somebody moves in.
Speaker 3: One of the things I would be so just about if I moved into a new place is to get a smart thermost at thing, so let me control my home from my phone.
Speaker 4: That's how that I want to do.
Speaker 1: Absolutely that keeps heating and cooling really cost effective. You don't need to crank it when nobody's there, and then if you know you're home at I don't know, seven at night, you can go on your phone and adjust at six and get your home ready. But just never turn them off completely.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: A smart thermste that is one of those grown up purchases you don't get excited about until the first time you cool off or warm up your house before you even get home, and it saves you money. You don't have to remember to ride the thermostat, you can just automate it.
Speaker 2: Speaking of making things more cost effective, I'm curious to hear your advice to egg about some affordable ways to make a new home feel like a home quickly.
Speaker 1: So I'm an old school sucker for anything monogrammed. I think a couple monogram towels are really really sweet, or a couple like monogram slippers feel really really special. And then I think you need to have some like texture and happy going through your house. So you might have like wonderful roller blinds. But if you're really old school and you like really bold print and like you want this on your windows, do it. And also don't be allergic to doing light improvements in your space. I understand you don't own it, but if you have permission to paint and they've agreed to a color, you might live there a year or two years that one hundred dollars can of paint. When you divide it over, let's say seven hundred and thirty days your two year lease at twenty five cents a day, you can live in this kind of wonderland that you love and the color you like that you're happy about. So you know, sometimes you have to just do those little upgrades. If they approve you to change your faucet to something nicer and it doesn't bust the bank or you found a great deal, be open to it. This is your home. Whether it's your trade of blastt or not, this is your home.
Speaker 2: I'm also a fan of like a little bouquet of flowers too, as a little treat for me because I just went through a hard move. But also then like you can put it on your table and even though your walls might be bare, at least you got a little flower.
Speaker 1: Going on in there. So I do weekly flowers in my house, and I also have a full garden in the back that is completely pesticide free, and those are my summer flowers. And then in the winter I swap it out and my whole house's roses because that works with my cat. Yes, but my pestified free plants, those all fill my house. So my house last month was all paeonies. This month is all going to be daffodils and mums. It just keeps changing, and then roses will be in like three weeks.
Speaker 2: Perfect love a plant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, flowers are the best if you can squeeze them into the budget. They're the cheapest indoor fit possible. They really are.
Speaker 3: I'm also a big fan of lighting. People don't really realize, like you can get like some pretty affordable lighting online bulbs, yeah, even just like the bulbs Christmas lights or like string bulbs, and they can really transform a room for cheap.
Speaker 1: And I love those bulbs, like those huge bulbs that you can change the colors and manage from your phone. They're energy efficient, but also you can make it a vibe, so you could have a party room. You could turn your whole entire place into red light district with red light just for the day to have fun, you know, like whatever. So yeah, I like definitely those. And then don't be afraid of going to vintage shops to find really cool lamps. Yeah, you could find some of the most darling things. And like table lamps, they're always like perfect, right because we don't ruin table lamps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when it's not just you moving, but it's a whole family. Do you have any advice for really trying to make a move less stressful on kids? I mean everyone, but really like kids that are going through this, that's like a whole new experience for them.
Speaker 1: Honestly, sometimes I think you just have to give your kids like little adult jobs and make them feel like they're one of the adults. Yeah, It can be as simple as if you know that you're dismantling all kinds of things in your house, like ease into their imagination. Go to your hardware store and get like the world's tiniest toolbox with the world's tiniest lightest hammer, and just let your kids be part of that adventure. Maybe you're boxing up stuff and maybe you just want them to go and set up the boxes and they'll feel like they're a part of the project. Yeah. I know it sounds like tricking your kids, but if you engage their imagination, kids are very resilient and kids are very exciting.
Speaker 2: They want to feel like they're helping too, So like, yeah, let it very a light box like here you.
Speaker 1: Go absolutely the littlest of things. It could be as simple as you put a big box in their room and you tell them, like, you know, whatever toys you want to give to the other kids, put them here. Yeah, it's something, And then it also teaches kids about sharing we love, which could be good.
Speaker 4: I love that. I think that's a great piece of advice.
Speaker 3: And then looking back on all of the moves that you've helped coordinate, what's something you picked up from someone else? That you were like, oh my god, that is an amazing idea.
Speaker 1: Best thing I've ever seen are people getting those movable storage containers and kind of setting up house in their driveway before they go in, where everything's settled in, and they have this box in front of their house for two three weeks and they move in as they are ready. Kind of smart. And then also when you move in and you have that storage container, it becomes this kind of extra storage space that if you're like, okay, you know not, I actually don't need this table anymore, you kind of have your built in place to store it as you try to sell it online. Perfect. And then one of my strongest suggestion uestions is if you can afford to do it and have a little bit of a carryover of like an extra week in between where maybe like your last month went to one place in that having that extra bit of time between two places can be wonderful, especially if you work a lot, especially if you have children or just a lot of moving parts, or you know you need to have some extensive things in order before you can move in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we got a lot of amazing tips from you today, deg but is there anything that we didn't touch on that. You want to make sure people think about or realize or are just aware of if they are preparing or you know, God forbid in the middle of a move right.
Speaker 1: Now, just keep an eye on your expenses and get really honest with yourself, get really honest with your capabilities. Listen to professionals, and never hear a price and assume that is your final price. It never is. That goes with your utilities, that goes with your moving call, that goes with going and buying a couch, Like I think people forget sometimes, especially when you move out for the first time, They forget that even the most like basic streamlined on that big maze Ikia tour that you do, your most affordable couch is still five hundred dollars. So if you've never bought a couch, you've never bought a piece of furniture, now is a really good time to go and learn how much furniture costs. Yeah, and some things you can't find in a thrift shomp, like it might be very hard to find a couch in a thrift shomp. True, so know what you're getting yourself into.
Speaker 3: Amazing wow, dag so much great stuff. Thank you so much for your time today. We really appreciate you spending it with us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: So the secret to moving is start early, label your boxes and don't pack your phone.
Speaker 2: Charger or your coffee maker. Future you deserves coffee on moving day and you're gonna need a lot of it.
Speaker 4: Future You deserves so much, so much more.
Speaker 2: That's kind of what this show is all about.
Speaker 3: Hopefully today's tips make moving day a little less stressful. So thank you for listening, and we'll see you next time on grown up stuff, how to adult and.
Speaker 2: If you want to learn how to invest like a grown up, join us again in two weeks where we'll be talking to author and investment expert Hailey Sachs aka Missus dow Jones.
Speaker 3: This is an episode you literally can't avoid to miss. This is a production of Ruby Studio from iHeartMedia.
Speaker 2: I'm Matt Stillow, I'm Leah Palmery. This episode was produced by Pamela Lawrence. Our post producer is Sierra Spreen, with additional engineering by Mac Wuido and a
Speaker 3: Special thank you to all our movers and shakers at Ruby Studio, including Sarah You, Ethan Fixel, rageus Wan kras And off Lydia Kim, Emma, Dylan Harper, Wayne Deborh Garrett, and mister Andy Kelly