Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ladies Edition to the Stephen A. Smith Show, Live from New Orleans. As I have been all week for Super Bowl Week. Obviously, I'm coming at you over the digital areas, YouTube and of course iHeartRadio. As always, I like to take a moment to thank my subscribers and followers. We've now eclipsed one point zero eight million subscribers okay on YouTube, not to mention the millions of downloads we've had on iHeartRadio over the last few months. Can't thank y'all for the love and support enough. Keep it coming, and I'm gonna keep on coming. Obviously, we're here in New Orleans for Super Bowl Sunday. We're not gonna be here this Sunday because I don't feel like being here this Sunday. But we're here, or we've have been here all week for Super Bowl fifty nine, and that's where we're going to get started because there's nothing else to talk about or should be to talk about. Today. The Super Bowl kicks off Sunday night, as I just said, right here in New Orleans, when the Kid's City Chiefs take on the Philadelphia Eagles. This history on the line for the Chiefs, who would become the first team in Super Bowl history to win three in a row. No team has ever done that. As for the Eagles, this Super Bowl represents a rematch of Super Bowl fifty seven, when Philadelphia lost to Kansas City thirty eight thirty five. However, if the Chiefs went to three pet they're gonna have to beat the best team they've played in the Super Bowl in the Patrick Mahomes. Ever since their Week five by the Philadelphia Eagles have gone fifteen to one, posted a plus twenty seven turnover margin, and won their games bind average of thirteen point eight points. Before I make my pick, here are the results of our Super Bowl poll. Looks like my followers are picking the Eagles to win. Here's what I think. Okay, this is what I think. It's what y'all to think right now.
Speaker 2: And as you can see, yeah, Cent, so it's cool for two.
Speaker 1: What are you doing here, spicy? Hold on? Did you just pick up my tea and drink out of my cup?
Speaker 3: Picked up bow tea hour? We're plural.
Speaker 1: Now you're gonna get your ass kicked on a Friday. You're gonna pick up my tea? Man?
Speaker 3: Now, be not blood?
Speaker 1: What are you doing here. How did you get here?
Speaker 3: Exactly how'd you get here?
Speaker 4: You really want me to tell that story, go ahead and tell it, so, missus Smith here, that's what I'm calling you now because my nephew Tism is up to sale. I'm buying a new uncle. And this is why I was at the airport and I'm like, my flight is three days late. How long you been here?
Speaker 5: I've been here since since Monday?
Speaker 3: Right, my flight was Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was looking for you, but you didn't show up. You and excuse me. I know you ain't gonna lie with the cameras rolling. Don't make me kick your ass. Okay, you're set up there and called me and said that you had some business to handle, so you didn't know if you was gonna get here until later on in the week. And then I see you just walking in. I ain't getting no text message, I ain't getting a full call. You didn't say, Uncle Steve, I'm coming to town. You just popped up.
Speaker 3: You booked me a connecting flight. The layover was three days. I smell like the airport. Yeah, i'm'a come here and tell the truth.
Speaker 1: I don't know. That's a freaking lie. I had a layover. Ain't no layovers for three days, That's what I do it. That's a BS excuse. What were you doing in the last three days because you you ain't been here, You ain't been here working. What were you doing?
Speaker 3: That was at the airport trying to get it.
Speaker 1: At the airport trying to get it? Which airport? I what you studied for? What? That's the tation? That's the tation for?
Speaker 4: Because I didn't book my own flight, I just got it. They woke me up in the middle of the night. I got off and then it was time to sit in the airport. So every time I woke up, yup, I'm like, when's my flight tomorrow? Tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Spirit flying on Spirit Airlines over here with dan Obloski.
Speaker 5: First of all, it's Orlowski, so you mispronounced his name.
Speaker 1: Secondly, I've never put you on Spirit Airlines, but for the record, because we don't want to find ourselves getting sued or anything. I happen to like Spirit Airlines. I've flown Spirit, I've flown Southwest, I've flown Delta, United, American, Jet Blue.
Speaker 5: Okay, I've flown all these airlines.
Speaker 1: Okay, we ain't gonna sit up there and Dinnegrate Airlines because of your tardy ass.
Speaker 3: I like spirit too.
Speaker 4: I spent the last three days with them, and we're talking about I like Kansas City.
Speaker 1: Kansas City. Yeah, what's up with the wardrobe? Why are you still wearing the same hoodie you had on last year?
Speaker 4: This is not the same hoodie. It's called merch. So I got about twenty thousand of these. When you're gonna wear yours.
Speaker 1: I'll never wear that. That will never happen, So you're not gonna be it. Why your head is super imposed like it's so much larger. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I mean it is, And once you come on home, that's how your head gonna look.
Speaker 1: Once I come on home. Yeah, I got grandma's head.
Speaker 6: What that means?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just respect my grandmother.
Speaker 1: You mean my mother, I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So you got grandma's head, so you can't get a bully. You're trying to scared to show your head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly the truth. You accepted. You were bald when you were twenty two. I'm able to fight it off, so I've been able to keep my hair in my fifties. You as the fact that you ve your hair at twenty two. You lost your head fifteen years ago.
Speaker 4: And I've accepted it. That's the fight that you've been losing. I'm not willing to be.
Speaker 5: Losing losing it.
Speaker 1: Do you realize that my receiving hairline has been here for the last fifteen years. It hasn't gone back any further. You know it's true because Grandpa's head line stayed the same all of those years. It's just how we're born with. You couldn't live with the fact that you was gonna have a receiving hairline, and then you got the George Jefferson joint where it really really left you. So you're the first bald dude.
Speaker 5: In our family.
Speaker 4: Do you realize that, well, with all the money you got, you need to take somebody here of your eyebrows and just make it, just make it move up a little bit.
Speaker 1: I wasn't thinking about that the eyebrows, and I was actually go shave something on the side, put it on the front. You know what I'm saying. It's gonna do something like that. I thought that works.
Speaker 4: People with money, people with money, you know, I'm glad that's us now instead of just you, how's it us?
Speaker 5: When when did you earn any money.
Speaker 1: When you're gonna show up to work so you could actually earn your money so I can actually justify the money that I do give you.
Speaker 5: When are you gonna do that?
Speaker 3: You never heard a nephew sism?
Speaker 1: Let's move on, man, you want to help me do these pics? Man, nephewtism. I thought you was going away with that. You was you was putting yourself out on the market. So now you're back to wanting to be the nephew and his nephewtism. Now now you're back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you know what, you're not staying till Sunday. Well, I'm here so.
Speaker 1: You can keep my room.
Speaker 5: Six right down the block, Motel six, right down the block, you.
Speaker 3: Can keep that, keep the room.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying, no room service, towels, che You know what I'm saying is one of the little square bars of soap and ship that don't really really bathe. You go ahead, you keep you cap. You happened that, That's what I'm saying. That's right half the time.
Speaker 4: From everybody with you, I'm just being real since you always being real, right, Respect your uncle.
Speaker 5: Boy, respect your uncle.
Speaker 1: Let's go to these picks. So I don't know which team you pick it, whether it's Philly or Kansas City or whatever. Do you need some help in me breaking stuff down before you make your picture cover?
Speaker 4: I got it, Kevin, go ahead. Well I got the Chiefs winning. And it's because you know I support Goats. I want to see somebody go all the way out. Patrick Mahomes wins.
Speaker 1: Why are you talking away for inexperience, because.
Speaker 4: It's because I'm in conversation. It's because we related. I feel like we were at the house. But Patrick Mahomes, if he wins this, he's the goal. I already feel like he's the goal. But I feel like it's no argument your justification. Uh three, Pete, that's never been done.
Speaker 1: It's true. I'm proud of you for doing this.
Speaker 3: Seven years in the league, five super bowls. Really, it's a pretty good ratio, isn't.
Speaker 1: That's a brother doing his homework for a change. That's more homework thing you did k through twelve, bro. I'm probably I was put this out there.
Speaker 3: I watch more games than you.
Speaker 1: How is that possible? How is that possible?
Speaker 7: That is a flat out wha you understand the way for the first sea time do I go to sleep?
Speaker 1: How many TVs do I have? How many times? Tell me? Tell me this? Never tell me this? Tell me this. When have you seen me not watching a game other than when I'm driving? When have you ever been around me and I'm not watching a game?
Speaker 3: Are you not a soap opera star?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right, I wouldn't say a star.
Speaker 3: I mean you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you acknowledge, and I mean I didn't say that by myself, but since you feel that way about Brick from General Hospital, that's what I need to from General Hospital that would happen to be me. I really appreciate you recognized that. Josh, uncle, just next time say break. I can assure you that nobody associated with General Hospital knows who the hell you are. They thinking about your black ass? Damn okay, they thinking about uncle Steve Brick. You understand. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: So when when you're gonna get me a spot on there?
Speaker 4: Because people have been reaching out about me acting and they exclusive, I'm exclusive to your situation, that.
Speaker 1: Is that that is not true you. General Hospital nor any soap hasn't even thought about your ass. It's just the truth. It's true. Let me tell you this, going back to the game right, here's what I'm thinking. Patrick Mahomes is that dude, he's special. I think Travis Kelsey people want to tell you he lost the step or whatever. I think he's gon show up in the Super Bowl. I'm not sure how much faith I have in Hollywood Brown. You just been choose as they you're worthy. Yeah, they can make plays, but can you trust and you are lyigning them against the top rated defense like the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 5: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: I know Patrick Mahomes is spectacular, and it's Tom Brady and him right now, Heat three pizza's in the conversation. I don't know if you could definitively say he's to go because Tom Brady beat the night once but twice, beating in the SCA Championship game and beat him in the Super Bowl. But to go to seventh straight AFC Championship games in his first seven years, to go to five Super Bowls to win four, if he were to win, you got a legitimate argument for him. So I will say that, even though it's not definitive. Here's what I think though, I kind of think Philadelphia might win this game. Sa Kwon Barkley wasn't on the squad two years ago. And when you look at the Eagles offensive line, their average size is like six six three twenty eight something like that. I mean, these these brothers eat cows for breakfast, so you know they could plug some holes for you. My thinking is because they could do that, I'm just to the mindset that Sakwon Barkley's gonna get off. The defense is number one, number two in scoring defense, number one and total defense, top three and third downs in red zone defense. Patrick's gonna get his You're not gonna stop a more game, But are you gonna stop Philly? Saquon aj Brown DeVante Smith of the White Dallas gotta just sight in. I think Saquan is gonna run for over one hundred yards first time somebody's gonna do that against Kansas City in the last nineteen games. I think it's gonna be a thriller, and I think it's gonna come down to Kansas City having the lead and Philly having a ball in its hands when Patrick Mahone's having to sit on the sidelines with a lead praying his defense is gonna stop Philly and Jalen Hirts is gonna get it done. Jalen Hurts in the Philadelphia Eagles are gonna win. Okay, I believe they gonna win. Thirty four thirty Philadelphia Eagles win the Super Bowl Championship.
Speaker 4: So if that goes down, you're basically saying, according to your prediction, if they do lose, it won't be Patrick Mahomes for right, So how does that?
Speaker 3: Does that? Does does that? What does that do for his goat?
Speaker 1: Say that I think he's number two to Tom Brady. Even if he loses, he's number two. Now he's gonna drop because of Lamar Jackson or or Josh Allen. Somebody know he's still gonna be number two. He just ain't gonna send the number one.
Speaker 3: So you have Patrick Mahomes ahead of.
Speaker 5: Joe Montana. I have him ahead of everyone everyone but time.
Speaker 3: So with the lorst today, even with the loss.
Speaker 1: I have him ahead of everybody. That's Troyman, that's Joe Montana, that's Steve Young, that's Roger Starbuck, that's Terry Bradshaw. Okay, I haven't ahead of everybody.
Speaker 3: Still be ahead of an NF loses.
Speaker 1: Damn Marino, John Lway Peyton Manning. I have him ahead of everybody, everybody. I'm gonna give you the last word because you usually don't have ship to say when I put you on the spot like this, But I'm gonna give you a last chance to say something constructive before you get on out of here.
Speaker 4: No, it's not it's not about constructed what everybody because I'm I'm a watcher of the common It's because I like to know how I can improve.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, so you really you really think this room for improvement with yourself. That's shocking. I thought you just felt you were so flawless that there was nothing to improve at all because you dad do. Yeah. Yeah, you you you Bronney James in the media. I'm Bronnie James fifty fifth draft pick.
Speaker 3: That's you watch that video.
Speaker 1: No, I was sitting next to you. I don't have to watch the damn video. I was sitting right next to you when you said it. I'm the Bronnie James of the media, and I know you see I heard that millions of people are watching stuff like that. So you call it yourself the Bronnie James of the media, right, you know, I'm really not supposed to be here. But I'm here and I'm your nephew.
Speaker 4: You know, at the time I was lebron I was I was Bronnie James of the media ago two months ago, somber fourth.
Speaker 1: Remember that's my recollections a month ago.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, So who would you say I am now? Because Ronnie James.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, unfortunately, you're my nephew. That's my answer to that question. That's it forever. What do you mean, that's it. That's the ultimate privilege. Oh really, yes, because being my nephew means that we're from the same bloodline, meaning that my mom, God rest her wonderful, beautiful soul, was your grandmother, the one that babied you, that always made it feel like when I was a baby.
Speaker 7: To excuse me, she didn't baby you when you were in your twenty She didn't baby you when it came to us, She didn't every little thing that I'm very upset with you.
Speaker 1: You got you gotta talk to judge like that. You can't do it like that. You are That wasn't that wasn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she stopped bullying. Excuse me, she stopped bullying. She doesn't like when you, you know, you come down, you come down to me unnecessarily, and now the world is saying.
Speaker 1: Show in other words, you used to go to her.
Speaker 3: I didn't go to her. She could see it.
Speaker 4: I don't go to the world. Excuse me, I don't go to the world. Everybody's saying, like with your uncle's problem with you, I don't know that.
Speaker 5: I don't seen any of those comings.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen what's wrong with your uncle.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen any of that. You're making that up. You're not just like you, just like you mixed up up with grandma. That's what you would do. That's what you would do. You put your head down, and he was all quiet, this is what you do. You just go to do because she feels sorry, because because then you walked away from up and you smirk and smile because you knew she didn't see how slick you're sorry, ass.
Speaker 3: Was They listen while be right here. You still never answer my question, and you never do.
Speaker 4: If Michael Jordan was on the team in ninety four and Scottie Pippen left, would they have one the chair?
Speaker 1: I did say they would have.
Speaker 3: You said that they would have.
Speaker 1: They would have They would have beat Houston and they would have beat the Initials. They would have beat the Knicks in that series against Hubert Davis and those boys. They would have certainly beat the next Absolutely absolutely, they would beat Indiana too.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, No, Michael Jordan and nobody would have beat Indiana.
Speaker 1: Not nobody without Pippy. You didn't say nobody. Who's somebody else is gonna be there.
Speaker 3: To have Tony as somebody?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? Nobody can play defense like Scottie Pippens, Right, So if he's going dudes who could play offense and you have size, we're gonna argue about that the Super Bowl Sunday, We're not gonna argue about this.
Speaker 5: We're not gonna argue about this.
Speaker 3: This is support for Michael Jus.
Speaker 5: Get the hell out of here and go and enjoy.
Speaker 1: New Orleans can go to the game. Goodbye, John, I need.
Speaker 3: A skybocks Yo.
Speaker 1: That ship is not happening, not at all. Coming up. He won a Super Bowl for the city of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Mind you, the one and only Drew Brees is in the house, he joins us. Next he'll be sitting in that chair. A real football player, a real athlete, a real knowledgeable football mind will be sitting in this chair instead of my nephew. Isn't the world beautiful? Get out of here minute? Back for more to Steve. It's been showing me a minute. Okay, folks, I need you all to stop what you're doing right now and listen up. You know I love this time of year, right The Big Game is this Sunday, and the NBA seasoning is heating up. So with all this action going on, the stephen A. Smith Show wants to make sure you take advantage of it all.
Speaker 3: That's why we've.
Speaker 1: Partnered with Prize Picks, the best place to get real money action while watching your favorite sports. You see, with the Prize Picks, you pick two or more of your favorite players, and then you simply select more or less on the projected stats for the game. Pick Patrick mahomes passing yards, Devonte Smith's receiving yards, or Luka Doncik's total assist all in the same entry and get this. For the Big Game Sunday, Prize Picks still has the Patrick Mahomes free pick. That's right, All Patrick Mahomes needs is just one passing yard for you to cash in. So if you haven't jumped on and grabbed it yet, make sure you don't miss out, and Prospects still has their Flex Friday promotion where every member gets a protected play. That's right, you can cash out even if you're like isn't perfect. So download the app today and use the code says to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollar lineup. Again, download the app and use code sas to get fifty dollars instantly after your first five dollar lineup prize picks. Yo, run your game. Now, Let's look at my picks for today and the big game, the Kansas City Chiefs versus the Philadelphia Eagles. First up, we have Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver AJ Brown more or less than twenty five and a half yards on his longest reception. It's kind of pushing it thinking about it, thinking about the Kansas City Chiefs defense and how formidable they could be. But this is Aj Brown, Baby, this is the Super Bowl, and Jayla Hurt's gonna have to do some big things in order to knock on Patrick Mahomes. I'm gonna go with more in this particular question right here, more than twenty five and a half yards on his longest reception for aj Brown. Next up, we have Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Xavier Worthy more or less the twenty and a half longest reception. Twenty and a half yards is the longest reception for this one. I'm gonna go with more again. Why because he's got Patrick Mahlmes throwing under damn football. That's why it's very simple. It's not that damn complicated. Patrick Mahomes is throwing in the football. He'll have a reception for more than twenty and a half yards at least once. Okay, that's just the way it goes. Next up, we have Phillies kicker Jake Elliott more or less than seven kicking points. I'm gonna go with less. I'm gonna go with less. I don't think it's gonna be too many field goals in this game. I think it's gonna be touchdowns, which means practically everything is gonna be an extra point. So I'm gonna go with less for Jake Elliott on this particular question. Okay, that's just how I feel about it. Finally, we have Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker more or less than seven and a half kicking points. I'm going with less on this one as well. Again, same reason. I see touchdowns and extra points, not field goals. Okay, it's just that simple. That's it.
Speaker 5: We go on with more on some of less on others.
Speaker 1: That's what we do. It prospects because we can. This message is brought to you by color Guard, a non invasive colon cancer screening test. So I want to talk about colon cancer screening for a second here. I know you might hear that and instantly feel a bunch of dread. You're thinking stuff like drinking all of that prep liquid, having an invasive procedure, missing work, No thanks, But hold on a second, because there's another option that allows you to skip all that drama. The color Guard Test. It's a one of a cond way to feel more in control of your colon cancer screening through a prescription based test with none of the prep that's required of a colonoscopy. The color Guard test is the only FDA approved non invasive option that looks for both altered DNA and blood in your stool, which can indicate the presence of abnormal cells. This test office convenience and ease of use, and it's delivered right to your door. It's also affordable most insured patients pay zero dollars at this point. Come on, don't let your health take a backseat. You're out of excuses. So if you're forty five or older and at average risk, ask your healthcare provider about screening for colon cancer with the color Guard test. You can also request the color Guard prescription today at color guard dot com, slash podcast. The color Guard test is intended to screen adults forty five and older at average risk for coorectal cancer. Do not use a color Guard test if you have had autonomas, have inflammatory bowel disease, and certain hereditary syndromes, or personal or family history of colorectal cancer. The color Guard test is not a replacement for colonoscopies and high risk patients. Color Goard Test performance in adults ages forty five to forty nine is estimated based on a large clinical study of patients fifty and older. False positives and false negatives can occur. Col of God is available by prescription only. Welcome back to Steven A. Smith Show. My next guest was selected to thirteen Pro Bowls, led the league in passing yards seven times, and of course, was named MVP of Super Bowl forty four, twenty ten. I'm talking about the former quarterback for the New Orleans Saints, one of the greatest quarterbacks we have ever seen in a lifetime. Threw them over eighty thousand yards in his career, the one and only Drew Brees. What's going on, big time? Have you been man?
Speaker 8: It's been a while, Steven A man. Great to see it. It is good to see you being with you.
Speaker 1: What you've been up to? Man? I mean, how is life? That's the first order of business.
Speaker 8: Life's great.
Speaker 9: A lot of time with my wife Brittany, and four kids, coaching my boys. They're all playing tackle, football, basketball, lacrosse, martial arts, you name it. Daughter's doing gymnastics. So honestly, just being dad is the greatest singing in the world. And a lot of business stuff, a lot of stuff back here in New Orleans and same business.
Speaker 5: Your last season was twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: When you walked away from the game at that particular moment in time, were you completely comfortable and ready with that decision or was it a very very difficult thing to walk away?
Speaker 9: You know, it was difficult in the sense that you have done this for twenty eight out of my forty two years, because I'm counting high school in college. From the perspective that you know, football was so important, and every decision that I was making was with me being the best football player, best quarterback, best leader that I could be for my team in mind. And so all of a sudden, what you focused on and try to be the best at for two thirds of your life, all of a sudden you're just saying goodbye to that and it's moving on the next chapter. So look, I recognize that's a scary thing for a lot of guys, even when you play that long and you know, hey, it's time.
Speaker 8: I'll be honest with you, man.
Speaker 9: My body feels great, like I feel great, with the exception of my right shoulder. You know, when I had that injury when I left the San Diego Chargers, which was significant, doctors told me, hey, you were on the fast track too early on set arthritis and all this other stuff. At the end of the day, you just try to prolong that, prolong that, but at some point that's going to come back and get you. So I always had this term prolonged my prime, prolong my prime. Like everything I would doing was trying to continue to stay at that high level. But while you know, kind of my knowledge, experience, wisdom was on the rise, you know, eventually those physical traits begin to, you know, diminish, and so you know, I retired age forty two. I still feel great. If I could still throw, I'd probably still be playing. But now I just throw left handed with the kids in the yard. But no, I still love the game. I still love being around the game. I'll be involved with the NFL game as long as I live.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at your numbers here, and I'm thinking about a career sixty seven point seven completion percentage in twenty seasons. The last five years, you completed over seventy percent of your passes. When you hear numbers like that, knowing the way the game has evolved even to this day, how do you feel reflecting on your career in the kind of career.
Speaker 8: You had, Look, I wanted to get better every year.
Speaker 9: Like maybe some guys see it as man, I'm just hanging on and I'm just trying to sustain.
Speaker 8: I wasn't trying to sustain. I was trying to get better.
Speaker 9: So every offseason I was taking a hard look at myself. What had happened the year before where I needed get better, where I needed to improve, and then what was going to put me on that path to do that. I had mentors that would help identify those things hold me accountable. So, Man, every year it was I was getting better. And look, I think what I recognized as I got later in my career was, Man, maybe I was losing a little bit as far as velocity power on the deep ball. Right, couldn't get it much past forty five yards. But I'm telling you, inside of thirty I'm gonna be deadly right, Like, I'm going to know where to go with the football. I'm gonna be accurate with and I'm gonna throw guys open. Man, I'm gonna put them in positions to succeed. I'm gonna avoid negative plays, like all those things that result in winning football, in championship caliber football, And honestly, that's the most important part of playing the position, being a great decision maker, being a great leader, putting guys in positions to succeed. So like that became more of my game the later in my career that I got it was about efficiency, it was about completions, it was about getting us in the third manageable situation. So that was that was something I took great pride in because it's not easy, right.
Speaker 1: It's not easy, you know, I look at something I look at Josh Allen won the League League MVP last night over Lamar Jackson. Even though Josh Allen is great as a thrower, we know he can run with the football. Big boy can run over you can make plays. We know what Lamar Jackson could do running the football. You rush for over nine hundred yards this year. We see guys like that. Jalen hurts what he's expected to do in this He can run with the football, Patch Mahones, he can run with the football. Yet, somehow, some way, while the NFL tells us this is what we need from the quarterback position, now three of the greatest quarterbacks arguably in the history of the National Football League with dudes who didn't think about running. That would be you, that would be Tom Brady, that would be Peyton Manning. What are we to deduce from all of.
Speaker 8: That, Well, I think the game.
Speaker 9: The game has changed, and I think the way that young quarterbacks are coming up now has changed. Offenses have evolved to be run game is all urpo, Like, very rarely do you just run a run play and that's the only option you have is to hand it off.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 9: You watch these teams now, man, Jayden Daniels, Jalen Hurts, like all these guys, Man, they're putting that ball in the running backs belly, but their eyes are on defenders and if all of a sudden those defenders collapse. Man, they're kicking balls out on screen passes and bubbles and quick throws and that kind of thing.
Speaker 8: So that's become the game.
Speaker 9: Where it's triple threat on every play, I'm gonna hand it off.
Speaker 8: I'm a pull it and run. I'm a pull it and throw.
Speaker 9: So with our generation, it was when you're handing the ball off your hand, the ball off, when you're throwing it, you're throwing it right. So look, I just think it's the evolution of the game. And now these quarterbacks have evolved with it.
Speaker 1: But shouldn't that elevate the level of appreciation we should have for guys like yourself A Brady a payment. In other words, you don't hand the ball off, you dropping back to path. That's what you're doing. You don't have a defense, you know, pause it for a split second because they don't know whether you're gonna run or throw anything. No, you're dropping back the past. We know what we gotta do. We gotta get to them. Well, we got to sit up there and cover whoever it is in the secondary. And somehow, some way, you were still able to do what you're able to do. Should it? Is it possible? Gods like yourself and others think that that should elevate the level of appreciation that we as football fans have for what y'all did compared to what we see.
Speaker 8: Yes, but let me elaborate on that.
Speaker 9: At some point, at least a few times in a game, it's gonna be third and thirteen, third and fourteen in a critical situation, and you're gonna have to just drop back, stand in the pocket, have all this stuff going on in front of your face, and deliver that ball, strike down the field, over the backer, in front of the safety, all the money, right, And if you can't do that, then that's just a dimension that you don't have, right and therefore a weakness.
Speaker 8: Right. So, look, I.
Speaker 9: Was brought up with this West Coast system where the pass game was an extension of the run game. So instead of handing the ball off for four or five yard games. We're gonna throw a pass for four or five yard game. It's the same ass and guess what it needs to be the same level of consistency and reliability.
Speaker 8: To be able to complete that.
Speaker 9: And you know what, occasionally when man, you get a holding penalty, something happens and you're a third and long situation. I've got no problem standing in the pocket. I know where to go with the ball, even though I can't see it. I know where my guys are. I know when they're supposed to be there. They know when they're supposed to be there, they know the ball is going to be there, and when we get the job done that way. But it is it's a different that was a different style.
Speaker 1: And you're going to be modest about this, I know, but them, And I'm gonna ask, anyway, how many people in the National Football League right now do you believe can throw the ball the way that you just described and throw it close to or as good as you and the dudes that I mentioned.
Speaker 8: The first guy that comes to mind is Joe Burrow. Special Burrow.
Speaker 9: Now, I watched Joe Burrow play his two years here at LSU right down.
Speaker 8: The road in Matt and Rouge Right.
Speaker 9: Ironically, Joe Brady, who was an offensive assistant for US SO came up through Sean Payton's offense had just gone to LSU. It was supposed to be their passing coordinator, ended up kind of being a little bit of the mastermind behind.
Speaker 8: So I'm watching that magical season.
Speaker 9: They had in twenty nineteen, best college football team of all time, unbelievable. Yes, right, of course he had those weapons too, But every week I'm watching our offense being executed by Joe Burrow in the college format, but then to watch him transition in the NFL. I don't think people give him enough credit for his athleticism because he created so many plays this year. Look as Oline struggled and he was forced to move slide by time a lot. Now it's not you know, it's maybe not as pretty as some of the other guys, but he will sit there and pick you apart in the pocket all game long, and the minute that he has to move man, he has the awareness to step up and escape and buy time, maybe just get a few yards to make it a more third manage. Well, go get that first down. When he needs to write take the hit. So he's the guy first to mine because I know the offense he came up in and I know from what I've watched this year he's got those traits anybody else c J. Stroud, I am a big fan of First off, I just love his poise. I love his poise, I love his demeanor, I love his leadership style. From the times I've been around him and just observing right and a lot of times I just observe the way teammates react to a guy right. But I think he he's got some really special qualities going back to Ohio State, but just as Washington in his first two years, and as they build the piece around and they're building something down there in Houston with Amiko Ryans, so he would be my other guy.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at him, and I just say to myself, when I think about this Super Bowl coming up, Jalen Hurts is somebody that I've talked about a lot. I don't consider it negative because I think the man can play. Tremendous athlete, got the Philadelphia Eagles to their second Super Bowl in the last three years. But that's Patrick Mahons. He's about to go up against and I know he doesn't Patrick Mahons doesn't play defense, but damn it, it feels like it does. Because that brother's gonna put you in a hole and you've got to answer the call. I'm looking at Philadelphia Eagles matching up against Kansas City and I'm thinking about sa Kwon Barkley. You got to have the ability to run the football if you're the Philadelphia Eagles against these dudes. But at some point, Tom with Steve Spagnola is the defensive coordinative. He's going to make you throw that football because he knows Sa Kuon Barkley how important he is. He's gonna do everything he can. The key off on that guy. Jalen hurts to me, is gonna have to get it done, Kenny.
Speaker 8: I believe he can. Look.
Speaker 9: I love I love the journey he's traveled. Here's a guy through college. Started early at O Bama. Obviously they were a national championship contender, almost one one with him early on. Then he loses his job to Tua, stays there right, like unheard of in this day and age. Right, most guys would be like, I'm out, but man stayed kind of like went through that disappointment, failure, gets an opportunity to go in the SEC championship game. All of a sudden, they win a national championship again, goes to Oklahoma, but then still like doubted, falls to the second round. So here's a dude who just has a giant chip on his shoulder right, has gone through a lot, and I just I watched the guy. I just observe, and man, he's kind of this quiet leader, very very intense, very focused, very intentional, and I just know, deep down, man, there's this fire burning inside him, and that dude wants respect. That dude wants respect, and you know how you get it. You go out and you win a game like this for the reasons that you just said.
Speaker 1: When you talk about the fire burning, if it's possible, comparative fires hurts compared to a guy like Mahomes who's on the verge of of achieving something that's never been achieved in a super Bowl or an NFL history, and that's a three peat. Looking at the fire at his belly, how do you compare the two?
Speaker 9: Man, You know, Mahomes always looks just so loose and relaxed, like he's having fun. Look, I know, there's a brilliance to him that I don't even think we fully tapped into. Like I mean, obviously we're all seeing the same thing. Who's been starting seven years, you know, all these accomplishments, fifth super Bowl that he's been in. But I feel like Philly has more to lose in this game. Yes, I do, Wow, Because okay, okay, try this one home. If Casey loses this game, then man, they lost out on an incredible opportunity to do something un pressing in and win three in a row. But guess what, they'll probably be here next year and probably the year after that. Like just at the pace this is going, like, you don't see them slowing down anytime soon. But Philly, Philly, Man, they built this roster unbelievable. They were in this game two years agoing toe to toe with these guys, just came up short. Deep down in their hearts, I think they feel like we're a better team. We're kind of flying under the raidar right now because everybody's talking about the Chiefs and how great they are and how great Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid and they can beat anybody. But deep down they're like, man, we're better than these guys. So you go into this game and you lose this game. Now what's the storyline?
Speaker 8: Yeah, man, you.
Speaker 9: Had your chance two out of three years and you lost to these guys. So all it is, Man, you can't get past these guys. You can't win the big one. Man, what's wrong with Jalen? What's wrong with this guy? What's wrong with that guy? And then that's the kind of stuff that just starts. You know, It's easy to kind of tear a team apart that way. So that's why I say Philly has more to lose in this game, because I feel like Philly is the better team top to bottom, and the way that they're built offensively is exactly I think the Achilles Heel for Kansas City, which if you can run the ball consistently, man, not only do you just dent that defense time after time and you go down and get points, you have a triple threat because you have a Jalen Hurts who can pull it and run it, or the RPO game, you also have big playmakers outside. But if you can do that, you control the clock, You shorten the game, You limit maybe two or three possessions away from Patrick mahonme instead of eleven possessions in a normal game, he's only going to get eight. Well guess what, mat that just puts one more pressure on them, forces them to press a little more.
Speaker 8: That's how you win this game. But you got to stay out.
Speaker 9: Of the third long stuff because to your points, Bags, miss Bags is a mastermind when it comes to dialing up these pressures. That's gonna get somebody free. You just can't get in those situations. So man, you just got to be methodical.
Speaker 1: They win the super Bowl. I'm talking Kansas City. How should we look at Andy Reid particularly compared to Bill Belichick?
Speaker 8: Uh, you look at what he's done with two different teams.
Speaker 1: I've won an affilly but got him to the super Bowl and numerous nfcship.
Speaker 8: Games, numerous numerous.
Speaker 9: I think I think there's a brilliance to that that should it should be honored and appreciated. I mean, you know, let's see how long he keeps going and you know, I mean he wins US one and then he can win it. You know, let's just add him up. You know, I saw Belichick last night of Honors with all those rings. Man, It's it's hard to argue eight rings, right, You know what I'm saying, especially at this level, but Andy Reid is certainly in that in that category.
Speaker 1: So do you have winning?
Speaker 6: Do I have to?
Speaker 1: You don't have to, but I'm asking, I'm asking no.
Speaker 9: I'll go back to my statement, it's Philly's time.
Speaker 8: I Philly's going to do it.
Speaker 9: It's now, because if they don't, I think it's it's they got more to lose.
Speaker 1: You go back to you with super Bowl forty four. What was it like in this city when you delivered the Super Bowl championship to this place? What was that like for you?
Speaker 9: And I wish I could transplant you in and visualize what we saw. Man, it was like I can visualize it right now, Like getting on that Super Bowl float at the Superdome as we were about to go on this kind of four hour tour through downtown and literally Walden like you couldn't see brick streets, not you just saw bodies. You saw people smiles like tears of joy, so happy, Like it meant so much to him and it was the culmination this four year journey from when we all got here in two thousand and six, six months post Katrina, like having no idea what we were signing up for but realizing also that there was something special here and this was truly a calling for all of us, and all of.
Speaker 8: Us were somewhat castaways, you know.
Speaker 9: Man, we weren't desired by a lot of others, and yet we were embraced by this city, and so we felt a great sense of responsibility to give this fan base in the city what they deserved.
Speaker 1: What did that do for you as a man? I remember Hurricane Katrina. I remember the catastrophe that it was and how it ravaged this city. We saw bodies floating in the streets for crying out loud. That's and that organization, that team led by you took the bull bottle horn per se and really regalvanized a city, Saints fans everywhere, certainly this area of the country. What did that do for you as just a man being the face of the city, because that's how it got to that point when it came to resuscitating and resurrecting the city at that time.
Speaker 9: I know this will resonate with you, but there's been so much suffering in I think this region for so long. You know, whether it's the hurricanes to come through or it's a BP oil spill or the tragedy.
Speaker 8: On Bourbon Street.
Speaker 9: Like it's just kind of one hit after another, right, and the more that you suffer, I feel like when you get to those moments of joy and togetherness and when you accomplish something that you know you just thought might never happen, there's just such a sense of gratitude. So for me, it was gratitude because quite honestly, coming here to New Orleans was a second chance for me.
Speaker 8: I thought that I may never play football game.
Speaker 9: I felt like my dream was just after the shoulder, just being ripped away from me, coming off of my shoulder entry from San Diego, and I think a lot of guys felt that when they came, they felt like this was, you know, maybe the last stop or the last opportunity. And so there was just that feeling of appreciation and gratitude for the opportunity to be here, to be a part of something so special that most people don't get a chance to be a part of in their lifetime.
Speaker 1: How does it still affect you to this day when you think about you being in this city, being here right now, I mean it's still Drew Brees City. Because the Saints haven't done anything since you've been gone. So it's still your city. You understand that, right.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 9: Honestly, I feel a great sense of responsibility, like still to the people, to the city. I want to continue to see this city put its best foot forward. I want I want people to talk great about New Orleans. I want people to walk away from here saying, man, there's something special about that place, the culture of the tradition. Man, they just know how to treat people. And you know, wherever you go in the world, it's amazing. Man, I could be. I remember it's in the Netherlands with my wife, just like having a nice, you know, vacation together, and all.
Speaker 8: Of a sudden I hear from across the street who that He's like, man, they're everywhere, right, And I.
Speaker 9: Think the story of New Orleans resonates with people because there's a part of everybody that man, they felt that struggle, they felt that hardship, and then to see others overcome and come together and accomplish something amazing, it just resonates with with everyone.
Speaker 1: Now, you and mister Rob Gronkowski himself himself, you've teamed up with Bounty Paper Towel for the Everyone's wingman campaign. Talk about that for a second.
Speaker 9: Well, so, so Gronk has been the bounty Man for three years now, and last year he went to the Super Bowl and his wing man was Julian Edelman, right, his former teammates. So he's coming to New Orleans this year. Super Bonie's like, who should I ask to be my wing man? So I got a call from Gronk saying, hey, man, will you beat my wing man in New Orleans?
Speaker 8: I've never been in New Orleans. I've never hung out in Orleans, which is.
Speaker 9: Hard to believe that Rob Gronkowski has never hung out and had a good time in New Orleans. Right, So I was like, man, this is kind of a dangerous proposition.
Speaker 8: I don't know if I should say yes to this, But you know what, Gronk, He's like, Man, I'm a little I'm a calmer, I'm a little more.
Speaker 1: Did you get approval from the White Yeah?
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 1: I just got to get to hang out.
Speaker 9: She's like, all right, man, show Gronk a good time. You know, he needs to experience the full New Orleans treatment. So I'm like, all right, I got him. So we can run around Radio.
Speaker 1: Row having a good time running around with Gronk.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know, I'm exhausted. We were serving up wings.
Speaker 1: I was where's the buffalo?
Speaker 9: We had some buffalo and barbecue wings to go with your New York pizza and some of the other man will bring you some met to Fez will take good care of you here in New Orleans.
Speaker 8: But when you make that mess, we got Bounty to take care of it.
Speaker 1: By the way, you had a problem with me eat some pizza. Was that a problem with this? All right? That's not all right for me to get the crawfish on it. No crawlfish on pizza.
Speaker 8: Look you, hey, don't knock it till you try it.
Speaker 1: I might try it just for you, just because you asked me to, Just because you asked me to. What is that? Oh?
Speaker 8: Lord, see there you go.
Speaker 1: There we go go. Man, y'all trying to trying to elevate my cholesterol. Love, I'm trying to get healthy. Man, all right, man, all right, you see it, no doubt. The one and only Drew Brees in the house right here on the Stephen A. Smith Show coming up. He was born in Kansas City, and he's the governor of the Great State of Pennsylvania. Governor Josh Shapiro joins me. Next, let's talk a little football right here, one of stephen A. Smith Show. No lordway alright, everybody listen up with all the big time sports action that's happening each and every day, NFL games, NBA games, The stephen A. Smith Show wants to make sure you are taking advantage of all of it. That's why we partner with Prize Picks, the largest fantasy sports platform and all the land, to help you cash in on all your sports knowledge.
Speaker 6: You see.
Speaker 1: Prize Picks is a daily fantasy app where you pick two or more of your favorite players and then you select the more or less or they're projected stats for the game. Choose from any of your favorite players Travis Kelce, Patrick Mahomes and Shake Gilders, Alexander all of the same entry that sit back and watch. The list is endless and now with prospects Flex Friday Option, you can still cash out even if your lineup isn't perfect. That's right, every Friday, just look for the protected play so win or your cash back and get this. Prospects Now offers master Card for quick and easy deposits into your account during this sports season. Make your picks in less than sixty seconds and turn your sports opinions into real money all season long on Prospects. So download day app today and use code sas to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollar lineup. Again, download the app and use code sas to get fifty dollars instantly after your first five dollar lineup, Prospects, run your game. Welcome back to the Stephen A. Smith Show. I am honored and privileged to have my next guest. He is the forty eighth Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Please welcome Governor Joshapiro to the show. How are you so? How's everything?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 8: It is great to be with you here in Bird's Country.
Speaker 1: And that's what we in New Orleans, Louisiana, right here for the Super Bowl, no doubt, and we know why you're here. I'm gonna get you know. I've got a lot to talk to you about.
Speaker 6: But imagine you do yes, s if I can keep.
Speaker 1: Up, please, I'm going to try to keep up. But when it comes to sports, I think I can handle that part. Because your Philadelphia Eagles are here, That's why you are here. But if I remember correctly.
Speaker 5: You were born in Kansas City, Missouri.
Speaker 1: Search.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, you go right for the controversy, man, I was born in Kansas City. I think I lived there like less than a year of my life. My papa was finishing up his medical training, and then we moved back east. So I'm a Philly sports fan. So a Philly sports fan through and through. By the way, even when I'm out in Steelers Country, I tell him what country, And you cannot bullshit your way through sports.
Speaker 6: I don't care. You got to be true to who you are.
Speaker 1: Okay. Wes Moore, Governor Maryland. But he told me about that because he sides with the Ravens instead of the commite stuff like this, I get it. I get it. Are you surprised that your Philadelphia Eagles are here?
Speaker 10: I'm not because I think how he built himself the two most important parts of any football team, a great offensive line and a great defensive line. And after that two and two start both clicked, and I think that offensive line is given jail on that extra second he needs right to find Davanta streaking down or god hear across the middle, aj Brown across the middle, and of course it's unleashed Saquon Barkley, and I think our defense is capable of not stopping Mahomes right, but is capable of containing him. As capable of doing that, We've seen that throughout the season. So I think we got the best offensive and defensive line in the NFL, and when you put that together, you're bound to win a bunch of games.
Speaker 1: So with that being said, I know that you say capable of containing Patrick Mahomes. One would argue you did to some degree a couple of years ago, but still ended up losing thirty eight thirty five because the man got the ball with five minutes left. You never got the ball.
Speaker 6: You never want to see that.
Speaker 1: So what do what do you believe the Eagles have to do in order to secure his victory?
Speaker 6: Get out quick.
Speaker 10: You do not want to play from behind against Kansas City, and you don't want to be in a position where you've got to compromise your run game. If you're playing from behind, you got to pass the ball more. While Jalen Hurts is certainly capable of that, I want Barkley just pounding through their defensive line over and over again. So we got to set the tone early. I want us to get the ball. I want us to score quickly. And I think that's going to be a really important part set the tone for this.
Speaker 1: Are you ready for what I'm about to say to you?
Speaker 10: You never know what you're gonna say to today, but I guess I'll do my best here.
Speaker 6: I be excuse the voice, by the way. This voice is the.
Speaker 10: Product of getting up at four in the morning with fifty thousand people this weekend and going to Groundhog Day in the middle of Concertani Pennsylvania, screening like a lunatic.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, sorry, it's forgiven. Don't worry about it. Don't worry about it. I'm gonna give you a scenario.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 1: I think this is the scenario where the Philadelphia Eagles have the best chance to win the Super Bowl. Keep talking, you're behind, You're behind four. Ok you need a touchdown. It's a minute and a half left, and you know this is it. You have the ball in your hands and my Homes is on the sideline and he can't do anything but watch. Okay, and the ball is in your hands. See you can have a lead. And the Mahomes has the ball. As Thomas wanted down we all know what that looks like. You don't want that scenario. I'm saying reverse it where he's the one on the sidelines watching. If you remember, that's how he lost to Brady in the AFC Championship overtime. Couldn't get the ball back.
Speaker 6: That's how I think, Shul, you'd rather the Birds be down. That's right, when a touchdown or need a field goal.
Speaker 1: I say touchdown. Oh let's not go the easy way out. You up to you down too. All you need is a field by the way, you need to get an end zone.
Speaker 10: And that answers all the questions about Jalen Hurts. That puts him in that next level. If he can charge down the field those whatever sixty seventy eighty yards and get it done, that'd be amazing and be epic, the epic.
Speaker 1: So if you had to guess, who, do you think the game will come down to?
Speaker 5: Hurt So save one.
Speaker 10: Look, if you're playing from behind, it comes down to Hurts because he's got to be throwing the ball. I got the Birds winning this game thirty one twenty seven.
Speaker 6: Okay, but I had not thought about.
Speaker 10: This scenario you did, where Jalen has to come down and win it.
Speaker 6: That would be something pretty spectful.
Speaker 1: I got the Eagles winning thirty four to thirty.
Speaker 6: Okay, so we're pretty close.
Speaker 1: Thirty four to thirty, all right, that's what.
Speaker 6: He's rolling on.
Speaker 1: If they don't win, how's that gonna make you feel? How's the city of Philadelphia going to be if they lose this second Super Bowl to the same team in.
Speaker 6: The last three mans.
Speaker 10: You know from being a Philly sports guy in your prior life, this is a city that lives and breathes it's Philadelphia Eagles, and it's extraordinary. And so we go high, we go low. I gotta tell you, man, not to get to serious at this moment, but you know, I was dealing with this plane crash in Northeast.
Speaker 6: Philadelphia on Friday night.
Speaker 10: One of the most extraordinary things I saw was the joy of an Eagles sports fan wearing his Kelly Green sweatshirt out on the streets Friday night, having a great time. And then that plane goes down and that same person in that sweatshirt going to run into save lives, going to look out for his neighbors. There's just something special about an Eagles fan, the way the way they love their team. They love their city, but they're also there for their neighbors. It's just an extraordinary thing. So I think when you ask how's Philly gonna feel? We wear our emotions on our sleeves, and we care deep plea about this team and it's right or die right now?
Speaker 1: Do you like that about the city wearing their emotions? Honestly? Does a politician like? How does a politician love people wearing the emotions on this lead?
Speaker 6: I love it because it's real.
Speaker 10: Look, I think I'm just a real authentic person and not agree with me on every issue all that, but.
Speaker 6: I think you got to keep it real. And you walk through.
Speaker 10: South Philly and a mom or grandmam looks at you goes, hey, doll, that's the highest compliment in our politics. I was at the Birds game a couple of weeks ago. Some guy looks up at me gov and gives me a thumb like this Philly halfways not bad. By the end of the game. I looked at him, I go, how about now he goes like that. I mean, Philly folks, you know, they're they're they're tough to come around and love you, but when they do, man, they hold on to.
Speaker 6: You and they're there for you, and it's extraordinary.
Speaker 1: I love seeing that final score for Philly again.
Speaker 10: Is what thirty one twenty seven birds, thirty one seven now far and you're thirty four to thirty.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am win the same page pretty close, at least for now. I had a lot to talk about. Joshapiro, stephen A. Smith. That's it for this edition of The stephen A. Smith Show. Thank y'all for joining me the New Orleans, Louisiana all week long. Til next time, everybody is stephen A signing off. Be some love,