Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Saturday, November first, and the Royal formerly known as Prince is waking up today for the first time as just good old Andrew. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Robes. Is this it now? Prince Andrew is no longer Prince Andrew? Is this the ultimate humiliation?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is the answer. That is the absolute answer. He is now Andrew mount Baton Windsor.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: So it was one thing too, or at least for him to voluntarily give up the Duke of York.
Speaker 1: Title, which is just what a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's another thing completely to have your own brother, the king strip you not only of Prince Andrew but also I mean, he was known as the Earl of Inverness, the Baron Killiele, a Night Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order. He was the Royal Knight, companion of the most Noble Order of the Garter. He lost everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, nobody gives a damn or I ever heard about any of those others. I don't know how big of a deal they are in over the UK. But Prince Andrew, he could have given up everything. This was the one we talked about was his birth right simply by who his mama is. Prince is not going to be taken away from you. I'm trying to find rogues, the proper context, and maybe it needs to be historical, the proper context were how big of a deal it is just for this to happen.
Speaker 3: So the last time a royal was stripped of his title was more than one hundred years ago. It was back in nineteen seventeen a prince had his title removed when Prince Charles Edward, that was one of Queen Victoria's grandsons. He had the title Duke of Albany Well. It was stripped from him by the British Parliament after he fought in World War One for Germany.
Speaker 2: Nice, okay, so he was in Nazi.
Speaker 1: Okay, he was essentially a trader. And that's the last time. Somebody correct, but that.
Speaker 3: Is the last time someone was stripped a royal was stripped of their title.
Speaker 1: So this is a big deal for that reason. The next step with that that was parliament. How difficult is that and how does this add to this story and the devastation of it. That is his brother who was doing this, So.
Speaker 3: Of course I mean, look, the royal family has been dealing with this, even between brothers Prince William and Prince Harry, which is incredibly sad given what happened of course to their mother, that those two had each other no matter what, and to see that separation happen is really, really, really sad. So Prince Harry's no longer a working royal and all of that, and now to have this happen between Queen Elizabeth's own sons and her grandsons, I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: Like, obviously she's passed.
Speaker 3: And that's probably a good thing in the sense that no one could ever imagine wanting to witness the division like that severe between brothers and then between grandsons who are brothers.
Speaker 2: Like, that's tough, that's hard.
Speaker 3: That's hard in any family, especially in a family where everyone is looking too and.
Speaker 1: Towards Okay, and we're talking about it. I guess on a human level, there's a human there's an emotion there that that's family, that's blood. There are a lot of people say a whole lot more should happen to Prince former Prince Andrew than just having the title prince taken away. They believe he should be prosecuted. They believe he does deserve to be in prison. They believe he's a monster who actually prayed on kids. Correct, Let's be clear here, we're talking about a guy who's accused of sexual assault on children, a child molester, alongside Jeffrey Epstein. It's to that level. So I don't want to get lost here about oh so sweet family motions.
Speaker 3: Yes, this isn't a Yes, that's a very good point. And there is a group specifically, an anti monarchy group called Republican Republic excuse me, and they are leading the charge for Andrew to face criminal charges. And this is what they said in response to King Charles's decision to strip Andrew of the title Prince, among all the other titles he's lost, they said, let's be very clear, Prince Andrew now Andrew Mountain Baton Windsor is not facing justice. He's not being held to account. Losing silly titles is not an answer to very serious accusations of sexual offenses and corruption in public office.
Speaker 1: Silly titles. I think that was a nice thing to throw in there. Big deal. It's kind of what they're saying. Nobody knew he was a part of all this stuff. Anyway, I appreciate that prince is a big deal. He's being kicked out of the royal family and robes. He's literally been kicked out of his house to that point. Now again it's public humiliation. I know they wanted to go farther, but this is I don't know how many more blows he can take after this. This is the ultimate one and this is it short of prosecution. Yes, for me, when.
Speaker 3: He got served eviction papers, that was the big oh wow, even more so than the titles. And that's just from my American perspective. It's one thing to take a title away from your brother. It's another thing to say and now get the hell out. That felt extra ouch. And by the way, when you kick Andrew out, you also have to kick for Yepp. She's been living with Andrew for the past twenty years, despite their divorce.
Speaker 2: So here's the deal.
Speaker 3: A lot of folks in Great Britain and the UK have been complaining about this because he's no longer a working royal, he hasn't been for a while, and yet he's living there. Basically it seems as though it's been rent free. No one's been able to point to any actual payment of rent he's made while living there, and certainly that is the people's residence as well, because this is all tax dollars fund the Royal family in this particular situation where they were so yeah, to have him now be booted out of that residence is a huge, huge deal.
Speaker 1: Isn't he moving though? Isn't he moving to a private another? It's a private residence, but it's still a family residence, is the right correct?
Speaker 3: So Andrew is moving out of Royal Lodge, but he is moving into or onto a property on the Sandringham, a state that's about one hundred miles north of London.
Speaker 2: It's privately owned by the British.
Speaker 3: Monarch, so it's not a member of or it's not a part of any of their public assets. So his new accommodation I think it's like twenty thousand acres. So there are several different places where he could end up living or moving into. But they claim he will be privately funded by King Charles himself, like he will actually get an allowance from King Charles and he will actually be living there at the King's private preference.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean that's his brother. I mean we have to say, he's never been found guilty of anything. He has denied any allegation from start to finish. So I mean, what's his life going to be? How is he going to live out his day? He's got two daughters, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, and they say even though and by the way, Princess Eugenie and Princess Beatrice, they are not affected in any way. Their titles remain intact. They are still in good standing so to speak, with the royal family. But still to have your father publicly called out like this and humiliated, to have your mother being kicked out of the home she's lived in for the past twenty years, you can't believe that this won't have some sort of impact on they're feeling about fitting in or being around Charles and William, who most believe William actually had a huge impact on his father, the King, on making these decisions, these tough decisions about Andrew. And so it'd be hard to imagine that there wouldn't be some sort of underlying tension.
Speaker 2: That's just got to be tough going forward.
Speaker 3: At any family function and people, there will be cameras, people will be watching, people will be looking at facial expressions. This will be watched closely.
Speaker 1: I kind of remember I thought there was something what they did announced where the limited times he's going to be welcomed to some things. I can't remember which. I think it might have been one or maybe it tops two events a year that he's actually welcome to come to and be a part of the family. Man, that's that family. Just it's it's always a mess and a scandal here or there. I mean the scrutiny there under. You can imagine in the fascination we all have with them and the tabloids there we talk about Tabloyd's here they are the originators.
Speaker 3: Oh there's nothing more brutal or just more thorough, I would say, than a British tabloid.
Speaker 1: So with all that, it's just it's sad sometimes and I think the most you can look at it is entertainment to a certain degree for a lot of folks. But this is still a family. And I think the most heartbreaking part was the boys. Man, to see the boys not doing well, it's tough, Eric William not okay, after all that the world put their alms around those boys.
Speaker 3: Right, It's really sad anytime you see family members either fighting or unable to stick up for one another. It's tough to watch, certainly, And in terms of what's next for Andrew, I think most people believe he will just go off into the sunset and perhaps not be heard from or seen much. Again, some are calling for more action to be taken, though you know, I didn't realize this.
Speaker 2: There are even.
Speaker 3: Streets named after Andrew all throughout the UK. Ireland in particular, there's a Prince Andrew Way, there is in Belfast a Prince Andrew Park, a Prince Andrew Gardens, Prince Andrew Crescent, and some of these signs have been defaced.
Speaker 2: In recent years.
Speaker 3: So now there's a big call to have all of these streets remab But there isn't a Prince Andrew anymore, doesn't exist, So that would make a lot of sense, all right. Well, when we come back look the timing of all of this, Yes, that's a little bit confusing in a way because obviously we've been talking about Andrew's connection to Jeffrey Epstein now for years and years and years. Why now all of this sudden focus on Andrew's role in this scandal. Well, there was a book that came out just last week and now Virginia Giuffrey's family is speaking out about all of the reaction and all that's happened to Prince Andrew. We continue our conversation about the fall of Andrew, formerly known as Prince Andrew. I always think about the artists formally known as Prince and then I think, we know we're talking about Andrew or the guy formally known as Prince.
Speaker 1: I had to get it write a couple because you want to say the prince formally.
Speaker 2: Known as well or the artist formally known as Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: The royal formally known is he still a He is still a royal.
Speaker 3: He was born into the royal family, so he is a royal. He's just no longer a prince, so he is moving out. But this was such an emotional last few days for the family members of Virginia Roberts Giuffrey.
Speaker 2: She was the original.
Speaker 3: She was the young woman who stood up and was courageous and pointed the finger not only directly at Jeffrey Epstein, but specific at Prince Andrew. And she's the one who put that photo forward that showed him with his arm around her. She says she was just seventeen years old at the time. When she claims that she was sexually assaulted by him, basically passed off handed over to him by Jeffrey Epstein, and she said it happened three times, and she went into great detail in her posthumous memoir that was released earlier this month, and a lot of that focus and refocus went back to Andrew, and we finally saw the royal family stand up and make decisions that they had not made for years.
Speaker 1: Wait did he because he came out himself and said he was giving up all of his titles. What was the timing with the.
Speaker 2: Book, Oh, it was around the same time.
Speaker 1: Before after, it was during the reaction.
Speaker 3: It was before the book came out, but excerpts had already been released. Several media outlets already had pre release copies and were already writing about the role of Andrew.
Speaker 2: That he was mentioned.
Speaker 3: I believe it was eighty times over a four hundred page book, so they knew, they knew it was coming. Details and certain aspects of this story that were just going to be heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: And in his statement at the time, he again denied that he had he did anything, but he came off looking like it was for the good of the family.
Speaker 3: He yes, his whole and I think this was an attempt by the royal family. I think a lot of people believe this was They were trying to get ahead of it. They knew it was coming, they knew the renewed scrutiny was coming, and so they thought, Okay, if Andrew steps up, doesn't admit any wrongdoing, but at least acknowledges that there were some bad choices by him and decided to voluntarily for the good of the family, for the good of the royals, not be referred to as Duke of York anymore, that that would satiate this public demand for some sort of accountability or justice.
Speaker 2: That didn't work, and I think.
Speaker 3: That's why we saw it was they made a couple different attempts to soften the blow, but ultimately this was the reality.
Speaker 1: You know, is there going to be a push for more now? Right? Because he gave up all of those titles. The reason he didn't give up friends He couldn't. It was his birthright. Parliament could do it, or it would take an act like the King has now done. So I mean, there was nothing more to be done. And yes, some people yelled at the time, no, he should prince should be taken away. Okay, now that's taken away. Well they see this as a victory and go asked for more.
Speaker 3: They may, and there already are people doing it. It'll just depend on how loud those voices get. But just remember King Charles's move to strip him, to strip Andrew of his title of prints comes just a week after Virginia Jeffrey's book was released, Nobody's Girl, and the family of Virginia jew Ray has reacted.
Speaker 2: Her brother Sky Roberts.
Speaker 3: Has been all over the television camera saying Virginia should be here, she should be the one speaking.
Speaker 2: But here was their official statement.
Speaker 3: Today, an ordinary American girl from an ordinary American family brought down a British prince with her truth and extraordinary courage. Our sister, a child when she was sexually assaulted by Andrew, never stopped fighting for accountability for what had happened to her and to countless other survivors like her. Today she declares victory.
Speaker 1: Don't you know what I that victory part at the end? Why why does she have to die? I mean, why the book a dead woman's book and now somebody acted? What was it? I mean, I don't get She's been saying this stuff for a long time, a long long time. She's dead. Now posthumously a book comes out. You know what, now, now we'll take it seriously. I don't know what's new, what's different? What did the royal family find out about him? That they didn't know?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: They still probably know more than we do what happened.
Speaker 2: It just it makes you feel.
Speaker 3: It makes me feel sick to my stomach that someone as beautiful as Virginia who went into hiding. She went to Australia to get away from Jeffrey Epstein, to get away from powerful men who she knew owned her in a way, and she found out time and time again that when she did speak up, she only put herself in danger. She didn't she wasn't believed. To know that she's believed now after such a huge price has been paid, is so gutting.
Speaker 2: It's so sad.
Speaker 3: And to know how loudly she was speaking, how proudly she was speaking, how bravely she was doing it, and to still have ultimately succumbed to the pressure, the bullying, the fear, all of the things that she lived with.
Speaker 2: It ended up being.
Speaker 3: Her undoing but I don't know to have her. I can't imagine what it would be like to be her brother, her family members to recognize how big of a deal this is and how sad it is that she isn't here to see it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's right, the trade off. I would prefer her be here and him still be a prince.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I still would prefer that it shouldn't take her death before somebody pays attention to what she was saying. That part after the fact stuff and victory, and I get what they're saying and why, but this is the victory shouldn't come at the cost of her life. Yeah, that's all that far sucks. We were talking about the chess player recently that died they think possibly by suicide. And now everybody's now to.
Speaker 3: Do something about the bullying and wanting to do something about calling people on their bullying tactics.
Speaker 1: Nothing about the stories of change other than somebody's dead and now we can pay attention. That's tough.
Speaker 3: It is tough, but there are so many lessons here, and this is a huge deal.
Speaker 2: This is the.
Speaker 3: First time in more than a century we have seen something like this happen in the royal family.
Speaker 2: It is certainly worth noting.
Speaker 3: And look, I know it might be too little, too late, but it is at least good to see there being some sort of accountability taking place. It might not be the perfect way or actual justice, but it's something and it was significant.
Speaker 2: And with that, everyone, thank you so much for listening to us. I'm Amy Robock alongside Tjilmes. We'll talk to you soon.