Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Sherry Harris, owner of Life Source Water. As a new grandmother in lifelong Californian, I care about what's in the water my family uses every day. For over forty years, our whole house water system has protected Bay Area families with filtered water from every tap. Now we are offering a double dip in savings free basic installation plus an extra two hundred and fifty dollars off. That's up to twelve hundred dollars in savings. Call our factory at one eight hundred Water ninety nine or visit Life sourcewater dot com. Hurry offer in September thirty warranty limitations apply.
Speaker 3: Earns.
Speaker 4: It's twenty twenty one, the year of execution. In order to execute, we have to have information, and the number one place that get the information EYL University Shotty tell them what we bring in.
Speaker 5: Yes, EYL University has been reloaded. We already have one hundred passed webinars. We already have weekly webinars. We already have our private investment group on Facebook. We already have multi financial planning calls. We already have bi weekly real estate called. But what has been added to EYL University This year is access to MG the Mortgage Guys home Buyer's Blueprint, which walks you through the home buying process from A to Z and also has been added breaking News Alert. Everybody always has to be in our group chat and when we talk about all the investment plays that we are making. We are going to have investment calls group chat calls with me, Troy and the whole team and walk you through our plays that we're making and give you insight into our portfolios. All of that for seventy five percent off. That's right, we are doing a blowout sales seventy five percent off for a limited time only. Go to eyl University dot com right now and sign up.
Speaker 3: See you on the other side.
Speaker 6: My graduates from my school being.
Speaker 1: Forts back drop bag Drop, Mike drop back drop Drop.
Speaker 5: So you started a business the Erael Commerce. Can you talk about that?
Speaker 7: So basically none something else. I like to teach entrepreneurs, especially the ones that's coming out of the corporate world.
Speaker 6: Everybody feels like I.
Speaker 7: Got to create something new, Like I got to get into an industry that I see everybody else doing, right, But what I realized is like, man, if this company is paying me one hundred grand a year to do this job. There has to be a smaller business out there somewhere that needs these same services, need the same skill set, and I can just go out and provide the service for them, and instead of being their employee, I become their consultant. So that's what Erael commerces. I took all that experience I had, all those connections I had with the railroad, all these oil and gas companies, and I found all these smaller companies that need or want to get a contract with an Exxon. Because Exon has over ten thousand rail cars. Everyone of those cars has to be maintained, has to be repainted, has to be cleaned, that has to be maintenance done to them. They have to storm when they're not using, they got to park them somewhere. So what I do is I help all those companies that provide those services get in the door with Exon, get the contract, and then they perform all the work and I just get commissions off of the deals.
Speaker 5: Wow, so you get like the relationship man I am.
Speaker 7: I'm basically broker basically broker in and I have everything set up with with my clients to where whatever contract that helped them get I get paid.
Speaker 3: But so eraail is not the only.
Speaker 4: Form of consultation that you're providing, right, Don't you have a few other consultation things that you do well.
Speaker 7: I mean, in general, I just try to help entrepreneurs get started, you know, because I mean I was so lost when I was trying to get out out of the work world.
Speaker 6: I was like, man, nobody was really here to guide me and teach me.
Speaker 7: So I use my social media platform, and you know, I use that network and that audience as as my way to give.
Speaker 6: Back, you know.
Speaker 7: So anybody that has helped wants helped with it getting started entrepreneurship. I try to teach them the basis kind of stuff is we're talking about now, you know what I mean. I get them as far as I can, and then I try to network with someone that's actually in their field and try to get them to get under that person.
Speaker 4: So you're providing the mentorship by consulting, right, Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 5: Consulting is something that we also haven't spoken about yet in this podcast, but it's extremely important and it's a very profitable business as well. Consultants you have can resultants in school industry, you have consultants in political industry, you have consultants in all kinds of stuff, right, can you explain the importance a lot of times, especially for small business owners. This is the problem with small business owners us compare the business big business. They have a small way of thinking. They understand the power of consulting. They don't understand the power of marketing. They don't understand They just want to just do the work. It's like running on the tread, but you can only get so far. Right, when you get enough win behind you know, you can start to fly. So when you talking about the power of consulting, like what can somebody get value out of hiring the right consultant.
Speaker 6: So there's only two ways you're gonna learn.
Speaker 7: You either gonna bump your head and you're gonna lose time and money, or you're gonna pay for the knowledge.
Speaker 6: Period. There's no other way you're gonna learn. Right, So you hire a consultant.
Speaker 7: A consultant as someone that's an expert in that field, that has already got experience doing what you're trying to do, or they can help you with a particular area of the business that you can't fulfill, Like if you have a great product, but you don't know how to get it in front of enough people. You need a marketing consultant to come in and help you get it in front of the right people. And so it's basically a way for you to you can add a whole department to your business without actually having a hire an employee.
Speaker 6: It's a consultant. You know.
Speaker 7: That consultant can neither be somebody that's paid by the hour, or it could be somebody that I always recommend you get performance based consultants, which means they work off a commission.
Speaker 6: So if they don't produce.
Speaker 7: For you, they don't make any money, right, so that gives them a vested reason to get in there and work hard and get something done. And on the flip side of that that, like you said, that's a very lucrative business too, because it's a business where it doesn't require you have to invest a lot. You can work from home and be a consultant and people actually paying you just for the knowledge that you already have. You know, so you can take that corporate experience.
Speaker 6: You could.
Speaker 7: Man, you could have been flipping burgers at McDonald's for five years. But guess what skill set you got, you know what it takes to onboard a new employee. So you can go to other small restaurants and say, here's the McDonald's model. I'm gonna teach you how to run the McDonald's model for your restaurant.
Speaker 3: And that's something that anybody can do.
Speaker 4: Like, as you're saying it, I'm thinking of like especially in the education field, and especially in the restaurant field as well.
Speaker 3: It's like people always try to figure out how.
Speaker 4: Can they make passive income, right, and they don't realize that they have a skill set already. They're just overlooking it, right, they're not maximizing their potential.
Speaker 5: Well, this is one of the things you talk about multiple streams of income. That is that the average millionaire has seven streams of income. That doesn't mean they has seven jobs or even seven businesses. Is that they're maximizing their skills maybe one or two businesses. So, as you said, you can be a teacher, right, but you're an expert in that field. If you're a really good teacher, now you can be a consultant to school districts, right, curriculum things of that nature. Right, And that's something that anybody can do. As Choice said, even if you're still an employee, you can be an entrepreneur and create your own consulting business.
Speaker 4: And the amount of time it doesn't require as much, right they say, these are my hours.
Speaker 3: You dictate the hours, and you dictate the fees, and a.
Speaker 7: Lot of time you're helping different customers and clients with the same problem exactly, so you.
Speaker 6: Already know it like in and out.
Speaker 5: You know, for your for your consulting business, how did you market yourself to to your customers and clients?
Speaker 7: How do you man The most powerful tool I use is linked in, Okay, And what I liked about LinkedIn is because when when you put yourself on there as a business owner, you give yourself whatever title you want, you know, So I gave my it's just it's me and one partner, but my title is executive VP. So that puts you in a whole different arena. They look at you like, it's all perception. It's all perceptions. So then when I go to when I see a company that I'm trying to get a connection with, and I go to the CEO and request to connect with them, they were like, oh, it's another executive that wants to connected.
Speaker 3: We got an EXECU that wants to meet you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And that's all it is is positioning, and it's it's all about you know what you post.
Speaker 6: I post.
Speaker 7: I repost a lot of Wall Street Journal type articles that are related to the industry. Any type of insight that I get from anybody else that's in the industry, I'll make a post about that. So then you kind of position yourself as a subject matter expert. So then a lot what happens is eventually enough people are watching your posts to where when they have a problem, they come to you instead of you having to go out and ask for business. And another great thing I like about LinkedIn is because you can type in any job title you want. So I'm in a supply chain, right, I type in direct a supply chain.
Speaker 6: LinkedIn is going to give me a list of people with that title. So all I do is go connect connect connect connect connect connect.
Speaker 7: You know, and then that builds your audience because people go to check you out to see who is this that's asking the link with me? And then like my network on LinkedIn is like seventeen thousand, it's all industrial products, supply chain people from all these big companies.
Speaker 5: That's a lot of that's a lot. But LinkedIn you got to accept every single person, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well yeah, the person has the person has to approve the connection. But if your page is set up to where it looks like, oh, this is somebody that I might want in my network, then you're good. And that's the whole purpose of you know, making sure that you set yourself up right on there with the right titles.
Speaker 5: You send and you with it in mail, right, they send you in mail, so you could both.
Speaker 6: I guess I'm both. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I met with a guy matter of fact, he flew in from Arkansas last week because he's working with a private development group that does industrial development and they're looking for new locations to build new rail terminals. And that's part of my job when I working the railroad, so that's part of my consulting too. So he literally reached out to me because he had been seeing me make these posts on LinkedIn about railroad development and railroad terminals. So he this gout literally flu in for the day just for that meeting.
Speaker 4: You are using your resources efficiently, and a lot of times people don't realize that, like they're just on LinkedIn or they're just on Facebook just to put pictures up, not networking, and not realizing how powerful a tool they have at their fingertips.
Speaker 5: Well, LinkedIn is only for networking. But I got to get a better I gotually got to do a better job on LinkedIn because I don't know, I just don't feel too comfortable with it. I feel like it's some kind of boring.
Speaker 7: It is boring, but it's like Facebook, but it's for business only. Yeah, it's powerful, Yeah, it is, it is. I mean you can you would be surprised that people that don't have a lot of LinkedIn followers that are like powerful people like I mean like producers, executive producers at these big stations. They may have five hundred, one thousand connections and you go requested and it's approved the next day.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: But it's like it's like it's like a back door to get the connection that usually you have to call a corporate headquarters and talk to administrative person and ask the schedule time to meet this person.
Speaker 6: You just go LinkedIn and find them so.
Speaker 4: When you need it's like getting you past all those things exactly, like all the gatekeepers, Yeah, pass all the gatekeepers.
Speaker 3: If the person's on LinkedIn if they're on that.
Speaker 5: But every everybody's on LinkedIn, and LinkedIn is one is the most powerful search thing too, because like so when you search somebody's name on Google, the first thing that comes up is LinkedIn. That's like the first thing. It's like it's like your online resume pretty much it is. And so I don't know how they how they work that with the algorithm, but they always are on the top of your thing. So you kind of have to have a LinkedIn page if you're doing anything in business. It's like almost mandatory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, I got up done, man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, So that was good for So now in the last time we want going to real estate, we're gonna talk all sting real estate.
Speaker 3: That's things going on, that's what you're focused.
Speaker 5: So yeah, for sure. All right, So in the last time, we're gonna talk about real estate, right, So, okay, what made you go into real estate first and foremost.
Speaker 7: Like I said, I kind of fell into it with the court, with the with the corporate job and leaving and I had bought a house at the first gig and when I moved back to Houston, I couldn't sell it. So I had to get a property manager. Property manageer rented out. I was making like four hundred bucks a month and I wasn't working at all for it. I was like, this is this seems like something lucrative. And you know, the more you research real estate, it's like eighty percent of the first time millionaires are made in real estate.
Speaker 4: But this is at a relatively young age, right, Like your first property was at twenty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty two, that's pretty young.
Speaker 7: Yeah, twenty man, So that was that was kind of a blessing through having worked with the railroad while I was in school, I had a no tenure with them to actually qualify for a moving package. So when you work with a corporate company, when they move you, they either give you a stipend or they give you like a down payment towards the house. Yeah, and so they gave me the down payment and instead of meeting apartment and pocketing the money, just had to get a house.
Speaker 4: But you could have took the stipend, I could have took the type he took the long term place. Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean you're not an engineered by mistake. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: So all right, so then how did that transition to you doing what you're now as far as you're developing.
Speaker 6: So okay.
Speaker 7: So when I moved to Houston, I decided I wanted to go really hard on the in the real estate game. And so one of my line brothers, my fright brother, worked for home Vestors that we buy ugly houses people, and he was their property manager in the hood, and so I kind of told him what I wanted to do, and so he ended up plugging me with one of the contractors that home Vestors us. And this guy was flipping twenty thirty houses a month for them, doing actual rehab work, and so he kind of became my mentor and we would pick houses, I would flip them. Of course he would make money off the rehabs. And so that's how I kind of got into the real estate game. In two thousand and nine. I would sell some of them, I kept some of them for rentals, and I was doing that for about five years.
Speaker 3: But then I got.
Speaker 6: Tired of having rental property.
Speaker 7: I mean, I know everybody says that that's supposed to be supposed to buy a home and live in and have rental property, but man on.
Speaker 6: The rentals sucks.
Speaker 7: The downfalls Okay, So a lot of people, it's a good profit margin on a rental properties three or four hundred bucks a month, right, but you have one month, say like a tenant moves out, and then it takes you a month to find another tenant's And if your mortgage payment is twelve hundred dollars, that's literally three months of your profit gone.
Speaker 6: If you got to make a repair that repairs.
Speaker 7: One thousand dollars, that's another two and a half months of profit gone, you know what I mean. And so for me, it was like and then you have this debt. I was own like one hundred, one hundred and twenty on each house, and so now you got debt and you got these small profit margins, and it's like, Okay, I could see how long term I can continue to do this and make money slowly. But dealing with tenants, tennants, tearing stuff up, you know, it just wasn't. It wasn't something that I enjoyed doing.
Speaker 4: What type of properties were you looking for? Was it single family homes or family or property?
Speaker 7: Yeah, at that point in time, I didn't qualify for anything like extravagant, So was just buying a little single family homes and I'm saying, there's nothing wrong with it. You know, everybody can make money in any industry, but for me, it's just like I want to do something bigger, and so I guess I continued to flip. I started realizing. You know, this narrative about gentrification happens over.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day.
Speaker 3: It's like banking with P and C Bank.
Speaker 4: It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 6: Ernerds.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 4: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like, the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital. Tipping is a breeze and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on.
Speaker 3: What matters most ready.
Speaker 4: To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 8: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security, and.
Speaker 7: Over and over, and I was like, man, I know a few of us that are flipping. I don't know anybody that's really trying to get into the development game and you know, kind of change the narrative so we have some control over that. So twenty thirteen, that's when I decided to kind of get off into that. So with you buying land in twenty thirteen, was that the next step. I didn't know what I was going to buy. I just knew what I was gonna do is stop flipping and try to figure it out. Okay, So I just started talking about it, and man, it came full circle. That same my same line brother that helped me get into the game. He had an old tenant reach out to him that used to be in one of the properties and say, hey, I'm over here in fifth Ward and the landlord over here is taking care of the property. I think he's on drugs, and so you know, what he heard was opportunity. So he reached out to me and he's like, man, I think we got opportunity to go pick up a few houses over here. So I went to go meet with the guy. Ended up being a whole block, got a grocery store on it. Okay, true story. At the time this was in the hood, it wasn't worth nothing. It was probably worth three hundred thousand. The whole block.
Speaker 6: Everything was kind of run down.
Speaker 7: But it's in the area where you tell somebody I'm about to go spend three hundred thousand, They're like, man.
Speaker 6: Are you crazy.
Speaker 7: It's the hood, nothing but drugs and prostitution over there. You're gonna waste your money, you know. So what I ended up doing to talk him in doing the deal, I offered him four hundred thousand for it. So but of course I didn't have the cash to pay four hundred thousand. So he actually had inherited the property from his dad. His dad was like a real estate taccoon, had like twenty.
Speaker 3: Six blocks over there, twenty six block, twenty six.
Speaker 7: Blocks, twenty six blocks, and this block happened to be the one that they gave this this this kid, and he was like the horrible kid, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: He watched it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, So so this was the one he had, and he still wasn't taking care of it.
Speaker 6: So I offered him on owner finance scenario where it's like, I gave.
Speaker 7: You ten percent now with all the fars. So that's when the instead of you, instead of going to the bank, the owner that actually doesn't have any debt on the property will let you make payments over time to buy the property from them. So I gave him ten percent of what we agreed to the four hundred thousands, so forty thousand dollars which came from me selling one of my rental properties.
Speaker 6: And then that allowed me now.
Speaker 7: To control that whole block of property, and it had the grocery store on it and then had the houses, but everything was really run down. So instead of fixing it up, what I decided to do was do parole lee housing for felons because it's really hard for.
Speaker 6: Him to find anywhere to live.
Speaker 7: So I would rent them out a single room in each one of the houses, charging three to fifty a month or something that they could afford because the type of job they could get, you know, they didn't have much income, or they like a halfway house pretty much like a halfway house.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they call them sroro houses. And then so the state paid you that right.
Speaker 7: Sometimes sometimes if it depends on what program they're in, they get some type of housing assistance. But most of the time, no, they had to go get a job. So that's what made it really good, because you talk about a low risk tenant, you got somebody that's happy to be out of prison.
Speaker 6: They was in prison for non violent offense. I didn't do violent people.
Speaker 7: They had to keep a job and they had to keep somewhere to stay, and ninety nine percent of the places wouldn't even allow them to live there, so they were like they were like built in good high revenue for me, you know what I mean as collectively in each house. Whereas I could have rented that whole house for five hundred dollars to a regular family, now I'm making eleven twelve hundred dollars off that same house, you know, with this program. And because you were renting the rooms, them individual rooms, and most of them had trades, so they were like carpenters, electricians, plumbers. They all earned their trades in prison. So anything went wrong, I just dropped off materials they built in and they were just happy to have somewhere to live, you know. So yeah, so that worked out. That was a win win man, And then that was twenty thirteen, fourteen fifteen. I did that in twenty sixteen. Redevelopment kind of started in the area that I was in. Something else that I always watched too, even when I was flipping, is what the city's plans were.
Speaker 6: And you can go to.
Speaker 7: The planning Department's website and it'll tell you what their plan to do five years, ten years down the road. And that's a lot of the game that we don't pay attention to, but you know, the other groups pay attention.
Speaker 5: Where can you find that information that?
Speaker 7: Usually you can just google it, like Planning and Development Department or Urban Planning for whatever city you're in, and it'll pull up on the website. You know, it's usually a dot gov type website, and it'll have all their information. A lot of us talked about the city council meetings, so you can look up city council meeting minutes and they'll tell you about anything big, any developer that's proposed to do something in a certain area.
Speaker 6: All that has to be public publicly.
Speaker 7: So but what I noticed about Houston was like everything was going to counterclockwise around downtown. And the fifth one neighbor that I was buying it was the last quadrant. So I knew eventually it was gonna come. I just didn't win, you know. And so yeah, so that's how I got into it. And twenty sixteen is another guy started building. So then I figured it was time for me to try to figure out how to get it done.
Speaker 5: So what is your all? Right, So what's your philosophy on gentrification? What's your how do you feel about that?
Speaker 7: So gentrification has a very negative connotation in our community because we are never the ones revitalizing that neighborhood. And what happens is the people that are revitalizing are looking out for themselves or their own groups. It's not that they don't care about us, is that they have their own personal agendas that that that they're moving forward.
Speaker 6: And so we can either.
Speaker 7: Continue to watch it happen, or we can participate, right and we can participate in the way that we kind of control the narrative of what's being built, who's being built for, and what happens to the around the community that we're building in.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: So my goal with my project is, you know, most of the time when you hear about black builders in black neighborhoods, it's low income stuff, and I feel like that's great, Like we do need to look out for the low income people, but we got to attract the people that were successful to the people that made it out those neighborhoods to back to those neighborhoods because we need that income, we need that demographic. If we ever want a grocery store to come back. We can't sit and depend on the government to do that. And right now, what happens is the people that are successful, they go and buy houses in the suburbs. Right, It's not because they don't want to move back, it's because they have no options. So my focus is, well, let me start building some market rate stuff, not low income houses and stuff, but try to attract these working professionals back to the neighborhoods with a high quality product that they know they're gonna pay the same price they're paying in the suburbs and in the city.
Speaker 6: Your value is.
Speaker 7: Going to appreciate a whole lot more, especially when that neighborhood starts to revitalize.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of what you've done with.
Speaker 4: You know, the land that you bought in twenty thirteen, right, which is your the most recent development that you worked on it.
Speaker 3: So fourteen it's fourteen Yeah.
Speaker 6: Fourteen units individual house townhouses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want to talk me about that. How that came about.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So it's the same property that I bought with the grocery store and everything. So twenty sixteen I decided to just tear everything down when I saw there was another developer that was building houses deep in the neighborhood and he was selling them for two fifty.
Speaker 6: Before they were complete. He wasn't even listening them on mls.
Speaker 7: So I'm like, so that tells me that there's a mindset, there's enough people out there are willing to save one hundred thousand dollars because everything else inside the city loop was like ENTI sixteen, Loop was two three fifty or more so, but people would rather save that money and live in a neighborhood that was still pretty rough. So I was like, well, if he can do this deep in the neighborhood, I'm right on the feeder to the highway, you know, I got a view of downtown. I should be able to do something with my property too. And so that's when I decided I'm gonna move forward with this initiative to try to build these townhouses. And it took a lot of work. It took me building the right teams. I had no idea what I was doing. Goes back to what you were talking about earlier with the consultant. I'd had to find the right team, the right I had to find a builder that had enough experience that was willing to kind of lend his knowledge and time to me, of course for a fee, you know, had to pay him to be my consultant, basically teach me how to do the first project, but that's what I did.
Speaker 5: So what's the what's your plans now as far as how many projects are you are you working on? Like what's your what's your vision look like for the next five years?
Speaker 7: Next five years, I want to finish this project, which you're probably finished next year, and I want to continue to build the same model in the same neighborhood. I kind of want to make this like a real world example that can be duplicated in other cities, like we can go in, we can buy the land. And I didn't mentioned my entire team is from the community too, so like my my builders, my real estate brokers, my insurance brokers.
Speaker 6: Everybody, the contractors as well contractors as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm working with a black builders.
Speaker 7: So and it's not just anybody's people that got good reputations, but we kind of always silo ourselves and we never.
Speaker 6: Really collectively work together on stuff.
Speaker 7: So yeah, And the goal and the most important part of all of this, whether you're flipping another industry a lot of people and it's whole selling or building new construction, is ensuring that you put.
Speaker 6: The product in front of the right end buyer.
Speaker 7: Because if you're flipping, you call yourself buying the block, But if you're not watching who you're selling to on the back end, you're still gentrifying the neighborhood. So my goal is really to educate us on like, like I said, the working professional, on why it's better for you to buy over here. So I'm building the first three now, got contracts on two of them. Both of them are young, young black professionals, basically all in gas professionals. The townhouses, yeah, I got a dentist, a black dennist from Dallas that's.
Speaker 6: Looking at buying one, you know.
Speaker 7: So it's all about making sure that we create that model because right now that gentrification narrative is the only thing that's real and for our people, we do better when we see examples of something that's actually working. And so when this is complete, I want to make sure that this model is as much exposed as possible. It's not about me making all the money. I want people in other cities to do the same thing, know, to say it's possible, we really can't do this.
Speaker 6: And this is the example.
Speaker 5: How do you evaluate, like what area you want to I know you say you look at it like the city plans but do you have like a set formula. It's just kind of like you just know the area and you just kind of have a good feeling because you can't buy in some bad neighborhoods and they don't get better, right, So it's like, I mean, how do you know like this is this is probably going to get better.
Speaker 7: It's all about your network because you got to be talking to people in the industry.
Speaker 6: So a lot.
Speaker 7: Of the realtors that I work with, they work with builders, and you know, you gotta have a network of commercial realtors around you too, because they know where the commercial developers are looking at, what areas are looking at. So it's a lot of it's word of mouth in addition to what you see on the city plans, you know. But yeah, you gotta have your foot in the door. You got to be on the inside understanding where they're moving and you just kind of ride that wave along with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a few years ago, you had one of the most horrific hurricanes in United States history. What impact have you seen since then on the real estate in Houston?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 7: You know, for it was a period of time where the houses in the areas that did not get flooded, the values went up tremendously or they were getting bought up really really quickly. I didn't see too much of a negative impact. The only thing that I did see is a shift in ownership where the people that didn't have the proper flood insurance who lost their homes had to become renters for a while, right. But at the same time, the investors who had the cash on the table were able to pick up a whole bunch of properties for a lot less than what the values were. Anything under like two hundred thousand dollars was still selling as it was rehabbed, but anything above that two hundred thousand dollars mark, a lot of it sat on the market, a lot of it's still here now. We had a lot of out of town investors that bought that thought that they could buy these flood houses and flip them and sell them really quickly. But the people in those price points were not comfortable, you know, setting up their homestead again in an area that just flooded like that.
Speaker 5: So so, what is what's your outlook for for for Houston? For anybody that's interested in and maybe coming in and investing Optimistic for.
Speaker 6: The city very optimistic man Houston.
Speaker 7: On the next census, they're gonna announce that Houston is now larger than Chicago, so it's gonna be the.
Speaker 6: Number three, it's gonna be the third largest city.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and Houston was least hit by the recession because we didn't have the big inflation and home prices that other markets had. When you look at like international investment as far as real estate in the United States, Houston is number one where it's coming from.
Speaker 6: China, Australia, Nigeria, anywhere.
Speaker 7: Basically they invest here because if you're looking at the three or four biggest cities, the real estate is still cheaper here, like I said, and the economy was not hurt as much as the other big markets by the recession, so it's the safest bet.
Speaker 6: Not only that, but you got more people moving to.
Speaker 7: Texas every year, and like I said, Houston is rapidly growing, so that the real estate.
Speaker 6: Outlook is strong for this market.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's two things that I believe are kind of the wave of the future for investment.
Speaker 6: It's either tech or is real estate.
Speaker 7: Because no matter how as technology will advance and replace people in jobs, but people always have to have a.
Speaker 6: Place to live. I mean, it's never gonna change.
Speaker 5: And I think it's the biggest city land wise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is. It is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a lot more room for it to be developed.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 7: It is, And what it is is like as it's spreading out and it's consuming all the smaller towns around it and they're all merging into one big municipality.
Speaker 4: You think part of that that population increase is due to the influx of people who were misplaced after Hurricane Katrina or.
Speaker 6: I mean we saw a wave of that, but I mean a lot of it. No, it's just business. It's just it's just it's attractive.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: You got a lot of people that move from high high real estate markets like California. They're the o their house out here, and you know, it could be a regular, regular eighteen hundred square foot house in California, they sell it for one point two million, come out here and by a mansion.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: So a lot of people transition down here because just the cost of living is cheaper.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sure, So, thank you man, thank you for rocking with us.
Speaker 6: My graduates from my school being forced.
Speaker 1: Bad drop bag, drop my drop bag, drop bag drops.
Speaker 9: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash p o d k A t z thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash p O d k A t z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need