Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: It is the Game Loud podcast presented by seat Geek, the official primary ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 1: Find tickets to Commanders games and more at seat Geek.
Speaker 2: That's Fred Smoot. I'm Michael Jenkins Smoot. These are our people. We got Oh my god, how.
Speaker 1: You guys doing tonight? Can y'all rock? Can y'all step right on?
Speaker 3: Paul?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well live and Duffy's captain.
Speaker 2: We got Major Tuddy here, we got the command Force, we got a Super Bowl MVP, we got I P.
Speaker 4: And we're right round the coming from marfk How that feel good? F k o k o k oh okay, we got a hem, oh my god, gott a hem.
Speaker 2: You know, normally when we do this show, they give us like a glizzier to overs.
Speaker 1: Yes tonight, it's prime, Yes we do.
Speaker 2: We are talking to the team president of the Washington Commander's Mark Klaus.
Speaker 1: Come on in, welcome you again to him? And how about this? What's going on? Guys? You doing what? Man?
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming man, This is exciting. It's great to officially meet you. Of course, we've seen all the great work you've done and your background is amazing. From West Point to weaving your way to the business world to here.
Speaker 1: What has that journey been like?
Speaker 5: You don't understand soup connected to football. I'm trying, Okay, I help you, help you with that? Now, Look I I have. I've had a wonderfully blessed journey. I started uh playing basketball west Point. I was in the army helicopter pilot around the road.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was a pilot for about six years.
Speaker 5: And then left and went right into food. So there's another transition, right, all right. And I've managed brands all over the world. We've lived in China, we lived in Brazil. I ran brands like Oreo Cookies, an the Oreo Fans, Pepperig Farm, Goldfish.
Speaker 1: Campbell's Soup.
Speaker 5: So that I also uh have worked on some uh some cocktail brands.
Speaker 1: How about Jack Daniels. Let's go get Duffy's rolling.
Speaker 5: So you know, for me, my life has been spent leading teams, transforming brands, and really bringing iconic organizations back to prominence. And this has been a terrific opportunity. Uh Josh as he was putting together the team, and obviously we all know what a great choice in Adam Peters, Uh, Dan Quinn. Of course amazing and you know, look to be part of that group with Josh working on this, it was just too great of an opportunity to pass up the NFL.
Speaker 4: You had some special things, but you you basically did no seconds.
Speaker 1: Man, there's nothing that you haven't done.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to accumulate all those experiences we've We've said the coaching in Washington change, and we know that has a lot to do with coach Queen, but has a lot to do with Adam Peterson.
Speaker 1: How have you enjoyed watching the coach a change?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Look, I could tell you firsthand it is all about culture. What's happening here is getting the right people and the right shairs that are making the decisions, that have the right set of principles and values and the right clarity of vision for where we're going.
Speaker 1: And that's a big part of why I joined.
Speaker 5: Before I join this team, I spent a lot of time talking to Adam, talking to Josh and just believe entirely.
Speaker 4: And where we're headed and what we're doing, and how does that connect when you take football coach. I understand that in the building when it comes to the football team, but how does that connect and how does it affect the business side.
Speaker 5: It should touch everything that we do, right, whether we're talking to sponsors, whether we're out with fans, whether we're working on how we're going to build the community around the new stadium, all of that.
Speaker 1: Should feel like it's connected.
Speaker 5: We talk about it all the time, and we got to all be rowing in the same direction as one team. And that starts with a lining behind that culture. So it's a huge part of the foundation that we're building and now we got to keep expanding that across everything we're doing.
Speaker 2: So when you talk about the stadium, obviously you're right in the middle of this project.
Speaker 1: And I don't have to tell you.
Speaker 2: I think anyone that's familiar with this franchise knows the connection that this has with that site.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the spiritual home of our football team. It really is.
Speaker 5: When you think about whenever I talk to fans and they talk to me about the memories of whether it's the stadium shaking because it was so loud, or seat cushions flying all over the place, or you.
Speaker 1: Know, running up to Super Bowl championships.
Speaker 5: It is a special place and I think it's it's important for the city too. This is the nation's capital. We should have a stadium in the nation's capital that is worthy of being in the nations. And that's what RFK is all about, and that's why we want want to bring that back and get that done and do it by twenty thirty. I want us play football twenty thirty in that stadium.
Speaker 4: And I think people jesse a stadium, it's gonna be a lot more than the stadium.
Speaker 5: Right, one hundred percent. So what makes this such a special location is right now, if you if you drive in that area, you see the old stadium that's right, the armory it's there. We want to transform that into the jewel of d C. Right, it's one hundred and eighty acres. That includes riverfront, so Anacosta River waterfront. You've got an incredible set of communities. We want every form of housing, retail, entertainment. It should truly be the crowning jewel of DC. And I think with partnership with the city and City Council and the communities, we can.
Speaker 1: Build that together.
Speaker 2: And when you talk about a standalone bill that could happen, does that change the timeline at all?
Speaker 1: How does that How does that shift anything, if at all?
Speaker 2: What's that the if it becomes a standalone bill or the politics of it, does it.
Speaker 1: Change the time?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: Look, so I think that that the good news is everybody that I'm talking to and working with, whether it's the mayor's team that have been terrific partners or city council, everybody is really trying.
Speaker 1: To find the right path to get all of this done.
Speaker 5: And as you know, there's a lot of a lot of complexity, a lot of things that have to be talked through and decided. But I feel like right now we're in a moment where we got to go and make this happen. This is our window, this is our opportunity for the city, for the team.
Speaker 1: We got to get the things done.
Speaker 5: We got to make sure we come together and close the door and get it out, get it going well.
Speaker 4: One thing, you know, for me being in the city and talking to fans and stuff, you know, tailgating.
Speaker 1: Is a big, big tradition here. Sure people really really love doing it.
Speaker 4: And every time I hear I'm like, they'd be like, I'm ready for the statement, But are we gonna have any anywhere to tail getting?
Speaker 5: We are gonna have places to tail date all right, promise you I know how poor that is. And so as we think about the design and how we're building out, of course, when we first open the stadium, there's still going to be a lot of surface parking where you can tailgate. But even when we're building the structured parking, we're going to ensure that there's going to be just over a thousand spaces that are dedicated to tailgating. Think of the roofs of the structure or near in areas where fans are going to be able to still come and tailgate. But we're also going to give you a lot of options to tailgating. We're also going to build that plaza that will sit in front of the stadium is going to be the home to a lot of great establishments like this where you can go have a drink, have some food, pregame, and and tailgate in a different way. So there'll be choices, you can do it all. And that's really what we want to offer, something for all of our fans to find the way they want to get ready for us to win games in RFK.
Speaker 2: Damis you know, and what I appreciate about you guys, Fred, You're always out is that you're always taking feedback from the fans.
Speaker 1: What have you heard from some of the fans?
Speaker 5: Come, yeah, look, I think there's been a lot of good questions, but there's also a lot of stuff out there right.
Speaker 1: Now that's just not accurate.
Speaker 5: Like I was, I spent a couple hours with the firemen yesterday walk visiting some firehouses around the city and won the fire I said, hey, who's who's for the stadium and who's not And one of the guys like, well, I live in the area and I know you guys are going to close the soccer fields that are there. I'm like, what, No, I know how important those soccer fields are to the city. We will not close them. We will not close them. We're not going to use them for construction. One of my favorite groups and I've got I've loved getting to meet these guys, the skateboarding community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a skate park.
Speaker 5: It is, and they want to make sure that we're thinking about that and we will have a skate park place for them to skate when they're there. So I just I'm trying to do my best and make sure that when people have got questions, you know, we go out to these town halls, we listen, really try to give them the true scoop because honestly, I can tell you if Josh was sitting here, he would say the same thing. The commitment here beyond building a great stadium, it's really about building a community.
Speaker 4: If you see what happened, because when I moved here in one the baseball stadium six, it was industrial and you if you go over there and now is revitalize the whole entire area.
Speaker 1: This is the This is the fastest.
Speaker 5: The stadium is the fastest and surest way that we can develop.
Speaker 1: The RFK area. And you are right, I mean d C and I've looked.
Speaker 5: I've studied all these around the country and DC has one of the best track records of utilizing sports as the platform to develop and transform areas.
Speaker 1: And that's simply what we want to do there too. And now we have actual football coming up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm true. Rookie, right, the NFL rookie, Klaus, go get the gatorade. That's all right, let me go get the gatorade. But no, look, it's been so fun to watch how coach Quinn and the whole coaching staff, you know, mixes these veterans, guys that have been here with the team for a while are rookies, and how to bring them together to really turn it into this high powered, functioning team and everything they do is purposeful. It's been incredible to why I can't wait for training camp because I know we're like third gear right now. We got to we're about to shift into fourth to fifth gear, and it's going to be exciting to be able to be there and part of that.
Speaker 4: And I think the fans really enjoyed the training camp experience last year.
Speaker 1: Any new things they are into the training camp experience this year, we're continuing. I was there today and it's a little scary. There's construction.
Speaker 5: The bubble is now replacing replacing the shell, so it's a little nerve racking, but I can tell you what we're doing is really transforming that into into what the players and what the fans deserve, which is a world class training facility.
Speaker 1: And that starts with the facilities.
Speaker 5: It starts with the training equipment, every aspect of it, as well as making sure that when our fans come out to training camp they're.
Speaker 1: Having a world class experience.
Speaker 5: So I think you're going to see a lot of great excitement and fun out there when when we open it up.
Speaker 2: I've told the story a few times that a few months ago and this was not for shows on camera, and I walked in and someone was polishing the Super Bowl trophies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, And I was like, oh.
Speaker 4: Detail, this is what I would say. I just I love what the ownership group has done. They have reached out and touched every facet of his team, from the old stadium that we have now Norwest Stadium, to the practice facility, to every imprint on this team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know it is so true.
Speaker 5: And it is and I can tell you I'm in all of those conversations, and we start those conversations with what's best for the team and what's best for the like one of the things I'll tell you, Yes, I'm excited about the new stadium, but we're going to be playing a lot of football in Northwest Stadium. And I'm like, I don't want to hear I tell the team all the time. I don't want to hear that this is an old building. I don't want to hear any of those excuses. We can have better food, we can have better fan experience, We can improve parking, We can do the things that we need to do to make sure when people come to a game, they're having an amazing experience. I tell them all the time, some of the most fun I ever had in my life, you know, fifteen fourteen years old, in the basement of my friends, paneled walls, maybe a couple of beers, a couple it's great music. We can have an amazing time anywhere. It's up to us to make that happen most and what's.
Speaker 2: Amazing is that you hear the players who talk to me. They say, I'll go to DC now like you made it a yeah destination.
Speaker 5: They want to come, and I think, you know, that is the culture again, right. They know something specials here. They know the history and the heritage which we are so incredibly proud of, you know, guys like Doug and others that laid that found work, that groundwork. The players want to come be part of that and to see it come back to life has just been an extraordinary experience to watch.
Speaker 1: Most definitely, he's the team president of the Washington Have.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you all right, let's get the let's get the main event going on. Appreciate you appreciate.
Speaker 1: So hashtag bring the team home. You're making up hashtags on the spot.
Speaker 4: I know you make it up on the spot because unlike y'all, I never got the chance, unlike Doug Williams to play in that building.
Speaker 1: They went winning championships in that building. That's a special place.
Speaker 2: If you want to keep up with all of the latest partners, just go to Commanders dot com New Stadium. You can sign up and learn extra ways to voice your support. Thank you for coming out tonight and voicing your sport. Because we're just getting started.
Speaker 4: Man, we just get started. The party is just getting started. I might have to take him up on that, Jack Daniels, I was trying to wait a little bit. We might have to go mid show.
Speaker 2: I have to go min show, all right, right, So we got a ton of great guests tonight. We're gonna bring up two more guests right now until Travis hunder place the highest drafted cornerback.
Speaker 1: Oh please, don't you say it.
Speaker 3: No, No, first of all shot Springs in the house.
Speaker 4: Sean Springs is now the second highest drafted cornerback of all time.
Speaker 1: I tried, man, which one? Here's the receiver? Man, you want to make more. I would have been smart. He's receiver right now. I know, I know, man, but here's the man.
Speaker 2: And also how about the Super Bowl MVP, the legend, Williams, the legend.
Speaker 4: You know, Man, I'm here glistening like Jamaine Jax.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being I know you've already talked to a lot of fans. And since we were talking about r f K, can you take us back and tell us what that must have been like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, paint that picture for man. What what a story? Man?
Speaker 6: You know, just tonight coming here, we passed stuff here and we turned around and as we was turning around, the statements right there in our faith and it's so much history there. I know when I came here in eighty six, you know, I thought I died and went to heaven. Not so much the stadium because I hadn't been there the player, but when I did get in there, and the intimate, the intimate of that stadium. Man, you can walk out the dress room, people can touch on the head, and you look up when you're playing, and bleachers was just rocking. It was just one of those statements where you know, it's not like an open statement.
Speaker 1: It was more on top of you.
Speaker 6: And that's what made it so well, you know, and you know the grass was great, but the most important thing was the player.
Speaker 1: The Burgan didn't go. That's right.
Speaker 6: It wasn't the day that we walked out of there. We didn't feel like we was gonna win the football. And I think that's what we're getting back to. But I'll tell you that plays over there. You know, there's a lot of ghosts and everything else is in that place, just still running over there. I can see Dexter Mainland and Charles coming.
Speaker 1: Off the edge. Now you know dal Green, I know we'll forget Daryl Green.
Speaker 6: And when we went to the Super Bowl in nineteen eighty eight, the biggest player of that game was the past that Darrel Green knocked down at the gold line. And I saw there today. Man, every time I think about Dale Green, I think about the punt return in Chicago, but the past that he knocked down against Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Running down twenty set was again, yeah, but it was.
Speaker 6: There's so much history over there, man, it's unbelievable, and you know it has to be torn down, and you hate, you hate for it to be torn down, but we all know the history can always be that and the most important thing. We can put another stam up in that spot and that would be big. And you know, I don't I'm not too much in the politics, but let me say this. I think all the councilmens that are in DC, you know, just need to understand what it means to d see. Yes, the brain the command us back home and and I know Mark and Josh and everybody's working on it, but I just hope that all these politicians go to bed.
Speaker 1: That night and wake up and say, you know what, let's get it done. We got to do that. Let's get it done.
Speaker 6: And I don't know what council, what Ward you live in and what have you, but if you live in any of Ward, you need to tell many guys, we got to bring this stadium home, you know, because let me tell you, you out there playing whatever you plan and it don't happen. I think it's gonna hurt DC. And that's what we can't afford to hurt d C. I think that's the most important thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 4: And let me ask you this, dun if it was any unique piece to keep from their statum, maybe a brick conerstone, maybe a section that goes up and down with some of the original seats. What would you what would you like to take from r FFK one and put it at rf K two.
Speaker 6: Well, you know what, I was in there not long ago when the mayor and everybody else there, when they had took taken a whole lot of stuff out of there. Yeah, yeah, and seeing nothing out.
Speaker 1: Like you certainly can't use to steal around.
Speaker 6: So I don't see anything. All the seats are gone and yeah, it's just concrete there.
Speaker 2: Did you ever think you'd see the day where this is a real possibility the way it is?
Speaker 1: You know what, I've been here.
Speaker 6: I'm going into my twelfth year, and I can tell you what last year and this year is the best year that I've been here from a feeling standpoint of the ownership, the players, and the possibility of getting a new stadium.
Speaker 1: To me, that's that's big for me.
Speaker 6: You know, I might not be around in twenty thirty, but at the same time, Stave need to be.
Speaker 1: We're keeping you around. Yeah, Well, thank god, I.
Speaker 6: Hope I am and my wife am I gonna be your honey.
Speaker 1: Over year?
Speaker 2: What are your expectations personally having been around the past couple years and seeing this build the way it's happening so quickly, well, I think.
Speaker 6: Like everybody said, you know, the credit goes to be honest with you, to Adam Peters and Dan Quinn. You know, I had first hand look up closed man and just watch and see how they worked this past year and the way he built the team characters, older guys, younger guys and mixed them in together. The thing about it what makes it so great. You don't have any bad guys. You know, a lot of people want this player and that player. That's not how they looked at it. It looked at you know, football player, but the character of it. And they named it brotherhood. Let me tell you something, it's not a better brotherhood than what we have over there. And the thing I saw most of anything the young Jayden Dame, the quarterback. And let me say this, he can play quarterback, but he's a better human being than he is a quarterback. And I think that makes the difference because I saw Bobby Wagner. When Bobby Wagner walked through the door, you know, I saw leadership walk in and then Zach Ertz and I seen those two guys with Jade Daniens. How closed they became so early quick, and I think that was the difference how everybody jailed together. Now it's one year.
Speaker 1: You said it from day one.
Speaker 7: We were at training camp last year and you said, from day one we got some special.
Speaker 1: What'd you see right away?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, you just watched the guy Jayden, especially you watch him on the field, how he carried himself. He never got too high, he never got too low. He was the same guy every day you saw him. And I used to come in there every morning six thirty. He's already parked, you know. So he's all football. He's all football, but he's a great individual. He works at it. And then the way he just bring everybody together. Man, it was easy to see. And the way he operated on the field during training camp, it was it was all one day. I don't think the ball hit the ground. Yeah, yeah, and that was a great day.
Speaker 4: Now they tell you a lot shown a lot of people don't know you're a native DMV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, you were born and raised here, right, Like, what is that to you?
Speaker 4: Because I know you got to have a couple of different emotions when it come to this stadium. What would it mean to you to be able to go to a game in the future at rf K two.
Speaker 7: Well, you know with my dad played for the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Out dad, but let him, let him tell the story. We get security up here.
Speaker 7: Security, no, but there was no better feeling or the excitement that was in the stadium when you sit in the old Cowboys and the Redskins game. It was incredible when Doug and I just remember being a little boy when Dad talked about being in that stadium and that the fans felt like you could touch. It felt like you were very intimate right there in the game, the intimacy, and I remember just seeing guys come out of the locker room and the fans being right there. So me just seeing it from a very early age, I was just like, Wow, this is you know, hollow ground, but more important, you would see how important it was to everybody.
Speaker 1: It meant something.
Speaker 7: So that stuck with me and one of the reasons why I signed here with Washington.
Speaker 6: Let me say that you talk about that Locksley, who's the head coach. You know, you go to the parking lot. Locks was in the parking lot and guys used to get out man and guys all they wanted all them kids want to do was carry your bags to the door, and they did that and when you came out, all they wanted was sweat band.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: So you saw these young kids every day and that was what made it so special to watch come in RFKN You see them grow up, and a lot of guys who went on to be whatever professional they come back and they remember those things.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 6: I talked to Locksay all the time and that's something big for him.
Speaker 7: And my mom worked at the armory. Yeah right, I was in military, so she worked at the armory. So I just remember one of my favorite things going to work with her looking out the window, like looking at the stadium like wow, yea.
Speaker 1: So this area just.
Speaker 7: Means so much to me and I know others, and I was just you know, it's amazing to believe that we could have a stagia on the rever. You can put your yacht up. You gotta talk to no right out boat up there.
Speaker 1: You know, we gotta have it.
Speaker 7: Like you know, I know there was a stadium and an amazing location right on the Anacosta just going around you're right, and it.
Speaker 1: Changes the whole area.
Speaker 4: It ain't gonna lie when fans do that with us and say, hell, me and my daddy used to come watch y'all play. It's time stampless because I'm like, how old were you at the time, because you old right now, like I'm home, Like so it kind of time stamp you and take them back for the moment. But that's what sports does. It's the ultimate time stamp. They know where they was on that Sunday, that Monday, sometime Thursday now, like.
Speaker 1: So it's a different thing when it comes to sports.
Speaker 2: J And when you look at this team in particular, it has such a great mix.
Speaker 1: We got Hall of famers on this.
Speaker 2: Team and these young bucks who have come in, Like it's a really good mix of players where you can see where this team is gonna go.
Speaker 6: There's no doubt, you know, just bringing them in like it did you know Bobby Bobby Wagon had been playing football for years, but you know, his mentality is a little different than a guy that's been around as loan. He got a young mentality and he put it all into the other players. And he's not selfish. I think that's the biggest thing. You know, Zach is the same way.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: You know, Zach might not be what he used to be, but he all of what he is right now. And the good thing about this this thing you talk about Adam Peterson, and you know, you think about the draft, we only had five draft peekte picks. We had seven, to be honest with you, because we got to ye and we got deep. So there's nowhere in the world you can get a fifth rounder like you can't get a third rounder like Towns. So we got fortune in that. So with the team has been better and then we got another offensive line first round. And what they're doing is building around Jaydon Daniels. Let's face this Jaydon and Day team. And I think we got to look at it from that standpoint, that his team. But it's not a selfish guy. He's all in. But everybody, you know, I text him today, man, and I told him, I hope he's enjoying it summer. And when he get back roll, he said, hey, I'm ready to roll all the time. And that was a good text, you know, because that's that's the feeling.
Speaker 4: Now you right now, right now, you are told right you have to protect the asset, and here is the asset. And if people really look at this office line last time we won big.
Speaker 1: We had the hogs up from all.
Speaker 4: Right, So now this this version, I'm calling the wild boards and you think about this. I'm gonna go down the line about these wild boys and I'm gonna paint this picture for you, all right, check this out. Larm me tossl is a All Pro, not a Pro Bowl, All Pro left tackle, one of the best and leads. Thank you, thank you moving him now having the ability to move call me into guard and called me did a great job at tackle last year. He's he got Pro bowld capability at guard like be honest, is a Pro Bowl center, like Sam Cosmy is a Pro Bowl right guard. And we just draft it Connolly who has Pro Bowl to potential.
Speaker 1: You can't protect them no better than that. Du and young. It's younger than you think off in the lines, a lot younger than you think. You know.
Speaker 6: So you got a guy that can play together for the next eight years for sure. Yeah, and and and and you know it make good because Jayden hope we can play for the next twelve.
Speaker 7: He could And to that point, man, that's part of our brotherhood. We you know you mentioned that, but we can tell you each week we would have someone on the on the show our podcast, every single player that came in there, first thing that came out of their mouth was the brotherhood. Yeah, and every single prayer talked about and you you we had colls me on it and he would say, hey, man, I'm thinking for the other guys around me. They make me look good, they pushed me, they work with me. You know, we had you know, we had Marcus come on, we had everybody on the show, Like Zach was great. We had Zach come on and we talked about, you know, his love and how he was accepted by you know, he was like, man, I've seen this little rookie and this this guy was amazing. I want to play with him. And then then Bobby and everything. So, you know, you talk about just iying those pieces building around.
Speaker 1: Jayden. The brotherhood is a special thing.
Speaker 2: That I mean, you guys know this. It's easy to take that for granted. Like every locker room is like that, every locker room the.
Speaker 4: Worst team talking about me. I've been in different locker rooms I've had. I started off with Martin Shan him disciplinarian. I end up with coach Gibbs, somebody the coaches totally different. Than like, that's what thing that all all us got in coming was coach Gibbs. And from the time he stepped in the door our coach, it changed. It changed from what it was under Coach Burry and the rest of those coaches. So I totally understand what you mean by coach when you break coach up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's absolutely a huge thing.
Speaker 2: And amongst this group, maybe more than any other group we've seen in a long time.
Speaker 1: Like it's Matt Person, the person, the person. Everyone says, no, I got my guy.
Speaker 6: But let me tell you something else about the coaches. You know, Dan Quinn loved the player that has played here in the past. You walk in that building, you see players, pictures dex to man in charge, man every let them flut all on the wall. He wants to get to know everybody. He has no problem with him coming by that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: Charles Man called me in and he's suppore they come to practice. And he'd even come. He said, I was waiting on the call because Charge over the years wouldn't come by a lot of players wouldn't come by there with the open arms of that which from Adam and Dan, I think that makes the difference to bringing old mix rich the gap, the.
Speaker 1: Gap if you're gonna move on in the future, that's right. Well, that's why you're here because you're a huge part of this team. Is fast. You're here right now helping us build towards the future. So I'm do my part. Shut.
Speaker 4: I had to ask you we got another a second round the Trey ams Long calling from old miss Mississippi State.
Speaker 1: What you think about him?
Speaker 4: Because I think with the confidence he plays with, with the lymph he plays with his ball skills, I think he got a chance to be special.
Speaker 7: Real specially you're talking about you know he's long, but you're talking about an athletic and fast kid.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: You know, when you're thinking about a corner, you know, it's one thing to have size and everybody's want. When we got a little guy, he's not super big, but we got superman little Mike sister, I call him Superman. He walking in with his glasses, be a bad man when he takes his glasses.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 7: But but when you when you think about the talked about building around Dayton, I think when we drafted this year with Colin and Amos, we actually got really, really, really good pieces that we needed. So when you think about the cornerback position, I thought we were good yeast year. I thought we we improved from the first week when we saw him against last week to the last week. But now I think with the thenity with Joe whitness guys trying to do we get we're adding speed. We had guys that a run not.
Speaker 4: Only a long they can move and size up front also size up front we got.
Speaker 7: We got sized up front, and Newton was coming on. I think he came off, and you know, so we you know obviously Louvu and and Bobby. I think just the mixture of size, speed, length and just the way these guys prepare. If you go to practice, I remember they break down every aspect of the game from individual you watch the individual drill they're working on the little thing to situation where your to two man to seven or seven situational. Every part of the game is broken down on the don't waste. They don't waste so minute. And and not only that, I've never been to a more energetic practice. I mean these guys, besides the ones I was a part of it. You would talk to anybody, but when you talk about that like it's not like false enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: It's real, it's real. The music is bumping.
Speaker 7: These guys. They focused the focus and uh and and they compete every day. I can't wait to see what debo and camp because those guys, you know our defense talks, they talk a lot.
Speaker 4: And Frankie, you know, thank you answer the question that I asked you.
Speaker 1: What the music is wooing the kid?
Speaker 7: This long, fast and great fit for our secondary.
Speaker 4: With the rest of the guy, I just like how you brushed my course and off and just took off one hundred miles foul.
Speaker 1: Well, dog, we don't want to keep you.
Speaker 2: We had to give the former Super Bowl gron On for the Super Bowl Chat right there, so much we got to dig in Trey Amos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know he's already like in practice. No, no, I can say his mentality is what I like. The talent is there, but you know, it's a corner to keep getting back up after getting burnt. That's it takes a mentality. And I think people don't understand because y'all sit on your couch and be like smoothest springs getting tore up out there.
Speaker 1: And never said springs.
Speaker 4: But go ahead, what you're saying but to have the mentality to get back up in front of millions of people and do it over and over again. That's the ability that look for the mental build up, and he got the mental build up.
Speaker 1: He does.
Speaker 7: And you know, playing in the SEC, you know you can't take that for granted because he played against a very very good competition. He played against the best. It shows up and he you know, when you think about this, the mixture of.
Speaker 1: Guys back there, Yeah, I need some talent. You know, we got some time.
Speaker 4: I gonna have a better year because he's help. I said, Buckeye a lot more that hamstring. But he's gonna be good. He's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: Listening to him and watching it like he is already the safety.
Speaker 4: Will Harris is gonna bring some to the team that I don't think people understand. He's diversity, He could play nickel, he can play just anything. And my guy that I really because everybody gets crunk up about the guys that we bring in. What about the guys that we already got that's gonna get better? A guy like Tyler Owens. Don't be shocked if y'all start to see him in the rotation because to me, I think he could take playing, take that safety to a whole another level.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about little Mikey though.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Smooth, you and I we we talked about him last year.
Speaker 4: Best rickey conerback since Fred Smooth drafted by the team.
Speaker 1: I appreciate what. I wouldn't argue that.
Speaker 7: But one of the things we talked about, we're talking about a guy. If you know, if he was two inches taller, he might have been a top five pick.
Speaker 1: Well, we talked. We talked about.
Speaker 4: Saban said pound pound. Nick Satan said why they was going through the draft. He like, if I had to draft anybody, it'll be Mike sanma Steel pound for pound. The best football player. He didn't say corner, he said best football.
Speaker 7: But when you think about some of the players, I recall the Detroit game. Yeah, you know, Mikey was out there making place. He was the two picks, you know, changing the game. He changed the game for us. And you know it's just the veterans mixing with the young guys and then just the scheme. We we don't give Joe wid enough credit by how all those guys and the secondary is about communication or deference. About communication, You never really see these guys out of place, you know you and it doesn't it doesn't. It doesn't matter who's in the game. They all play as in unit. They all play fast.
Speaker 4: And that was their first year together. Like this's gonna be their second year under this defense. That's gonna let them play a little fast, gonna give him a little bit of freedom on what he could call and what he can't. And that's what I said. When you bring three hundred and thirty pounds a man like Javon Kinlong and put him on their defensive line, you bring Dietrich Wise and you put another three hundred pounds on that defensive line, that tell me. From that NFC Championship game last year, we walked away saying we need to get bigger in the trenches. And that's what we did. We went got boys that smelled like bacon. Larah Matompsaon smell like bacon. All the boys smell like bacon. They give you a chance to win football game, they do when.
Speaker 2: You've got guys that are coming into the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, I'm sorry. It's everybody except for Turkey Base. Turkey Base. Everybody we saw that handwhip around what. Yeah, we took his.
Speaker 3: Cards through there you hurt he from Mississippi from the root to the two.
Speaker 2: So I mean, you guys know, when you play corner, you obviously have to have a short memory. But not all the guys we see play so fearlessly. But Mikey is fearless.
Speaker 1: Because he studies.
Speaker 4: You can always tell somebody that's leaning on what I studied, and I'm gonna play off of what I believe. Some guys are just out there winging it. Some guys don't do that. Some guys make mental meet talent meet preparation. And you can always tell, especially with a corner, because sometime when they haven't studied, they'll be a little bit more hesitant. He was never his he was always downhill.
Speaker 7: In each week he just improved. That's that's what I like to see about a young guy. How did he look from week one to week six to week six, weeks twelve, and how he performed in playoffs. So part of that studying, part of it is getting comfortable in what you can do in your abilities. Because at one time we started off having Mikey inside, he was inside.
Speaker 4: Would he'll be playing a lot inside this year? But when we moved him out to the left. We questioned. We was like, well, okay, we see the movie.
Speaker 7: And when he we moved my I think was the Philly game the first time or whenever they moved my south, we were like, oh man, he balled out, ball out. So the flexibility he gives you and then don't don't forget it knocks everybody down to the appropriate pag Now no monogamy.
Speaker 1: Eats your fifth corner now like so everything.
Speaker 4: Then you bring in a Jonathan Jones who played two Super Bowl who got playoff experience. So now everybody's in the proper slot. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: And that death gives us flexibility because each week, you know, somebody may get necked up and go down. There's no fall off, and that in order to win and go where we want to go, we need that type of death and we need that type of consistency performance by the guys who might not be as starters that come in. We gotta give a shout out to Jerremany Reeves, Oh, Jeremy, congratulation on the contract. First of all, Jeremy.
Speaker 4: Jeremy is one of the dudes that this team fits his image, just tough, blue collar what you need me to do, coach, I'm part of this marine right here. Whatever you need me to do, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Because you hear.
Speaker 7: Him talking about zach Ertz leadership. You're here talk about Bobby's leadership. But it's two other guys that I would say that's not known, but their presence is felt. Marcus Mariota, Yeah, most definitely. Doug probably tell you Marcus and what you know. I iver hear the talking about how he what he means to James. They supported to Jaden and how he supports Jaydan, and that's important. You need to You got your coach, but you got a teammate that you playing.
Speaker 1: You know, we got your bad.
Speaker 4: The one image that comes out of my mind last year when when we called the time out at the end of the game, Jayden was tired and Marcus went picked him up like on the field and picked him up.
Speaker 1: They told me everything I need to know about their friendship.
Speaker 7: And so and the and the other guy on the defferent side by is that Jerremy Reeves and what he does on the special teams and how he gets everybody. He understands his role special teams is not easy, but he understands that this is important for us to be good and all re phases. This is why I'm gonna do my job to the best of bility.
Speaker 1: And it's contagious.
Speaker 7: And that guy's in that defensive back for room and we gotta give him a lot of credits.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to you guys more about this season, about the rest of the team, about the NFC East.
Speaker 1: First, it's time to show off that Mississippi State Education.
Speaker 4: Babies m w a A. We don't travel to escape life. We travel so life don't escape us. We dream of any place in the world and in the blink of O, we're there. That's the wonder up flight. All you have to do is decide where to dule this in a national airport. Let your imagination sore, book your adventure today at ye up up there at flight dullis dot com slash non stop Mississippi State Education.
Speaker 2: Of the.
Speaker 4: Baby to Mississippi Jax. You think you can get a flight to Stark Vegas. You know Stark Vegas.
Speaker 1: You know he a longhorn. You know how it is it is when you're operating a hand puppet.
Speaker 4: And that's why a bulldog would genetically braid to take down.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, bulls Okay, like a hundred years ago, right, I'm just like God.
Speaker 1: Now I'm just saying, that's how we got chexasas Ohio State. We got you. Yeah.
Speaker 7: You know what's been you know what's been unique about this off season?
Speaker 1: And we kind of felt it last year. It's been quiet.
Speaker 4: No, just it's been quiet this business like this is how good business sound.
Speaker 1: You hear nothing, You hear nothing. Come on, man, you hear nothing. It ain't nothing to hear.
Speaker 7: I ain't now to talk about but getting ready for the anticipation of great.
Speaker 1: They ain't working right, just leaving me.
Speaker 4: Like I told my kids the other day, the mic awave work, refrigerator work. Why you don't work at the end of the day something when something working right, let it work, let it cook.
Speaker 1: So we got a couple of questions. Also, shout out to our producer Anna.
Speaker 2: If you watch the pot you know, and you know Anna and she is doing work, doing work.
Speaker 1: Give a shout out to the buffs, you know.
Speaker 4: And they retired numbers too quick as.
Speaker 2: Over so d last year. This commander's defense was ranged eighteen. It's a course of Fox Sports. Can this defense.
Speaker 1: We were to the top ten this season.
Speaker 4: Oh, they most definitely gonna be better sometime. I never care about the numbers. Did we win that day, Yeah, we made a game up four hundred, but we didn't give up four oh one. At the end of the day, it's all about winning and I don't care about rankings if I say anythings. I want us to be in the top ten against the run, because then that tells me we're forcing teams to pass and they're behind the chains.
Speaker 1: So that's what I want.
Speaker 4: I want to be top ten in russ because if you could stop a team from Russia, you can force them to pass the ball. Now we got a chance to go make plays with the DB's and now we got a chance to go get sex. Maybe some sex pharmers, some force formers and some interceptions that change this game.
Speaker 1: So the run game for me.
Speaker 7: The defense get better anyway. Because now they're in the second year of Joe Webb. Yeah, Church move you talked about that was their first year planning down. They're about to get comfortable because they know what. First of all, they know the expectation of what happens when you step on the field. The standard, the standard is the standard. And you know, Joe wit sets sets standard.
Speaker 4: Coach Quinn set and Adam sets the standard because they draft the right mentality, the right players.
Speaker 7: So I think they're gonna be exciting. I think they're gonna be exciting. We got better in this back end. We got better in the back. We got better, and we got better in the front end.
Speaker 4: In the middle, it's one of the best the land back, of course, one of the best in the league with Frankie Lulu and Bobby Weack. And I think my guy upfront is Newton, big Newton.
Speaker 7: I think that that he's gonna be better than.
Speaker 1: The second year. He had a little knees. He's healthy.
Speaker 7: I think I think it's a reason we could let Jonathan go okay, you know.
Speaker 2: And what I love when you talk about being in the second year under Joe Whitt, I think it's such a good point. It's not only do you know the defense, then you know each other because when you guys play together. I love the stories where you would just look at each other and yeah, I love because.
Speaker 4: Now after playing a year in it, now I knew what Greg Willi was gonna do on third down. I didn't have the second, guess, third and short, I know you're finn call zero, I third and long, I know you're fin the call covering four. Now we're gonna go gold coverage in this situation, I don't need to I don't even need to look to the sideline because I've been in and we done did it so many times over and over.
Speaker 1: That allows us to play faster.
Speaker 7: And it also allows you to trust right, Like I know, like if I made a mistake of me and smoot with checking the guys came off in motion and I kind of took this guy and you know, and we didn't call switch a combo or anything like that.
Speaker 1: He played with me so much, I'm just gonna go I'm gonna go to opposite trust.
Speaker 7: Me, or I can tell him, hey man, let me not move. I'm gonna jump this. Do what you do, but let you at least know what I'm doing. There's a little soft.
Speaker 4: On this one, so that you start to trust each other as teammates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got trading camp coming up. Ye Who in particular are you looking forward to watching?
Speaker 4: Like I told you, Tyler Horns is big on my list this. Yeah, he's up there, he's up the rookie we got from U C.
Speaker 3: L A.
Speaker 1: Madrano.
Speaker 4: Understand this linebacker that runs at four to four used to play wide receiver.
Speaker 1: He's crazy. Athlety uh, the fastest linebacker the combine married the running back that we got.
Speaker 4: I want to see him a lot of people didn't see him last year because he was hurt for his last senior year of college. I think Marrit gonna be pretty good. So it's the youth that I want to see. I want to see Newton taking to another level.
Speaker 7: With Newton, I like all the rookies from last year. The second year, I want to see what McCaffrey does.
Speaker 1: Don't look good. I think he's gonna look good because we talked.
Speaker 7: About you know obviously the news about Terry, but adding uh, Debo and and those guys and Lane.
Speaker 1: I like our corps and I think he could.
Speaker 7: Be an X factor, especially in the special teams game that nobody's really you know, like who's that returner?
Speaker 1: Who's that guy?
Speaker 7: And I built like he he he built and he could be that guy. I want to see that. I want to see what b Rob does this year. Man a lot of contract year. Any time it's contract, you know, you usually get the best out of us. We don't even go outside.
Speaker 4: But arguably when you talk about upgrading the line, yeah that changes all.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, larry townsill and you don't have to ship anybody. You just got one dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you got but they got guys who can get you know, get down here. Smooth said it earlier when we lost that game to Philly. It was a conscious effort to say, you know what, we gotta get big.
Speaker 7: We got tossed around, and we got talkeed around, and now we said, you know what, We're gonna go get a body building who could throw people at the club, but Larry Towns And then we got the boy from Oregon Conor.
Speaker 1: We got some condorly gonna be good. We got some guys can throw you at the club. He used to play running bad. He used to play running.
Speaker 7: But I'm interested to see the run game of how it continues to progress with the new addition, because I think we all talked about it last year at times when we needed to be a hammer, or lately year we didn't.
Speaker 1: We weren't that we was a nail either hem out and nail.
Speaker 7: We would I want to see what be rob those guys do.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna pay some bills. And the word to everybody else involved with some trivia is let's see what Texas University. Let's see what they teaching on. Oh my guys, let's do it this summer. Seegee casts your taking to the best live concerts in the d m V at Northwest Stadium.
Speaker 1: Segee makes it easy to catch.
Speaker 2: World concery tours and high water performances from your favorite artists all summer long.
Speaker 1: Seek casts the best seat your seat for.
Speaker 2: An unforgettable summer, from rock Royalty to rap superstars R and B. The country find out all on Seekeek, the official taking partner of Northwest Stadium summer concert season, officially starts with Sea Geek.
Speaker 6: How about that?
Speaker 4: I see thank you, baby, I see Catherine is looking hanging on everywhere I mess up.
Speaker 8: That's how we getting married, right there? Come on, baby, give me through. Okay, So we're gonna play name Nak commander. All right, So I'm gonna give everyone a stat line.
Speaker 2: You guys can cheer, These guys can choose, and you tell me and I'll give you three players, and you tell me which player it is.
Speaker 4: You guys here all right, isn't this year your stats from this is.
Speaker 1: From all time? Right? Okay, I hold your hand. I'm thinking, you know, eight tea. That's why I'm doing this right here.
Speaker 2: All right, Player number one, I'll give the stats, then give you three players. Four hundred and twenty nine career receptions, four thousand, seven hundred and eleven receiving yards, thirty three touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Here's it, Chris Cooley, is it? Give me? That might be a that could be Gary Clark, No, Gary, ahead, way mone is it Pierregar's song? Okay, Chris Cooley or Bobby Mitchell.
Speaker 7: Oh, Chris Coole, Nah, nah nah, Pierre Pierre got song?
Speaker 1: He guesses. The answer is Chris Cooley. You had it, you had it?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, he's saying he changed it, changed it three ten thousand, four thousand yards.
Speaker 1: I know it. Whe Chris Cole, it's totally Nah's yeah. I didn't even neat your multiple choice. I mean that's true. Yeah, that's true. Okay, Later number two, stop looking at it. I'm not looking man, bad man. Stop seen hold on, hold one second. Knowing with this all right, there we go, okay, here we go going.
Speaker 2: Defense now Yeah, two thousand and thirty two total.
Speaker 1: Tackles, London fletch.
Speaker 2: One, three hundred and seventy nine solo tackles, Boom thirty nine sacks, twenty three fixed.
Speaker 1: Are we talking.
Speaker 2: About London Fletcher, Ryan Carrigan, Charles Mann or London.
Speaker 7: Flesh, London Flesher, London London Fletch, London flesher.
Speaker 1: Because London always.
Speaker 7: Tea smooth he had more big Yeah, because he had twenty three, he had more picks and smooths.
Speaker 1: London Fletcher. Yeah, it is London Fletcher. Yeah, Boom. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Isn't it crazy you talking about tackles? You got London and Bobby on.
Speaker 1: The same team. My top five tackles all time in the NFL, and it's crazy. I do this in my sleep. Okay, here we go play a number three.
Speaker 2: Four hundred and ninety seven total tackles, four hundred and fifty eight solo tackles, fifty four picks, six touchdowns? Is it Darryl Green, D'Angelo Hall, Shawn.
Speaker 1: Springs y degree, It's Darryl Green, D Green? All right, it's only one man playing that. Yeah, it should have been harder. Questions.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry Anna catching strays and random was saying they should have been harder questions.
Speaker 1: They're good. I'm not. You're cheating.
Speaker 4: I did not need to look for th old. They were so easy. They were just low hanging fruit. We still got a few want to go, all right, here we go. We got two more players for wrap things up here.
Speaker 2: Player four Yeah, seven hundred and thirty two receptions, ten tho, two hundred receiving yards, sixty six touchdowns, and a long of seventy eight yards in the touchdown. Santana Moss said, it's Santana Moss.
Speaker 1: It's Santanna by the way, I mean Himer quarterback. He's a Hall of Famer, right, No, No, with the.
Speaker 4: Same quarterbacks gave him all. But for him to do that with all the guys is amazing, is amazing. Yeah, a couple of john Bis in there, you know, got on dicey therefore, okay, got little Russ got little right, had of John Beck reference.
Speaker 1: I was good, all right, Last one, here we go.
Speaker 2: Last player, two hundred and fifty receptions, eleven thousand, three hundred fifty two rushing yards.
Speaker 1: No, you said reception, rushing rush rush.
Speaker 2: Yards, rush arts, one hundred four rushing TDS Clint Portters is it cp Rigo glim Porter's said it?
Speaker 1: What was in how many TVs?
Speaker 2: One hundred and four eleven thousand, three hundred fifty two rushing yards?
Speaker 7: That might be rigular, that might be Rego Rugger I got I got Riggans, I got Riggans, I got Riggans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna go Rigans too.
Speaker 2: Anybody else The answer is John Riggins.
Speaker 1: Great John Riggins. Yea. We need harder questions.
Speaker 7: The intelligence on the podcast tribute question what what school is the winning in school in college football?
Speaker 1: Mississippi State University. I was like, here comes in Ohio State question.
Speaker 4: Well, you know y'all being in the i L and for the last fifty three years, so you know, hey, you know what at the end of every pod, Yeah, I'm gonna put you on the spot.
Speaker 1: Well what you.
Speaker 7: Know what I was about to say? Man, we know, we might, we might. Mark might be the coolest president of the league. Man, how cool?
Speaker 1: It was real cool cool. It's not that why I call it those seconds? Man? How many?
Speaker 2: He is?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: What's going on? Guys? Hey, Jason was set up talking football? Yes, that'd be great.
Speaker 7: It's the man that you could be on them. I was gonna call him Aga.
Speaker 1: The man was a boy. Yeah, I can call him.
Speaker 4: He can be on the plane and they like playing on there. He'd be like, I can help you, me take over this thing. I got you.
Speaker 2: So at the end of every part, I mean, I was gonna say I'm put you on the spot, but I'm not.
Speaker 1: Really. We always geek out you.
Speaker 2: It's got something that you've read, that you've seen because your mind is like a sponge and we don't know if it's ever true or not.
Speaker 1: Run after.
Speaker 4: So you don't think last week's Cowboy Cody, No, it was you want to repeat cowboy Cody?
Speaker 1: All right? Did y'all hear about the dude from Kentucky. It's true.
Speaker 4: They got kicked out of bar in Kentucky, went home, found the raccoon, brought the raccoon back to the bar.
Speaker 1: Let it out in the bar in the raccoon bit eight people. Major Tuddy's clapping in.
Speaker 4: Two weeks before he did that, he got pulled over riding his donkey and got a d U I yes, yeah, that's made up.
Speaker 1: I was running guy. It was in Murray, Kentucky. He went he went and checked like he you can get a du on a donkey. It was a high speed mule chase.
Speaker 4: He got in a high speed chase on a mirror. Where to go police on a donkey on a donkey?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 1: Impressive? Hey man, that's an interesting five. Hey man, most definitely.
Speaker 4: Man, are you gonna have a yacht pull up to the stadium when that's on the Reford?
Speaker 1: Man? What you doing? We got?
Speaker 4: Hey, there you go, cowboy Cody right there, how boy coming.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: It's been an awesome night. We appreciate everything. Give yourselves a hand. Thanks for coming out, out for coming out and out. We met some awesome fans. We got some fans who keep coming back. We got some new fans coming.
Speaker 1: Up and we get wings.
Speaker 4: What we do we don't eat, but hey, thank you out for weapon us to your neighborhood. Hopefully we have a permanent residence like a mile from here.
Speaker 1: It's ring to stadium. Back that shot springs fretswood on Michael Jenkins. It's a get loud podcasts for anybody seek Thanks for coming out. I'm great knight.
Speaker 2: If you used and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts, harder own and do not necessar sarly reflectiveviews or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives,