Speaker 1: Let's talk guardians with rookie Parker Messik joining us right now. What a ride man. Great to have you on, Thanks for the time, and yeah I'll just start here too. Did you see where you'd be right now in spring training when you were fighting for a spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, not really. I mean I just try to take it one, one day at a time in spring training because the more you think ahead it kind of send you into the spirals. So just try to take it like one outing at a time. And you know, now I'm here.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, wait, wait, what come on? Everybody thinks ahead in spring training. You're trying to duck I'm trying to think. I don't even know who would be the person, because you know, now that Craig's gone, you're trying to duck the dude that's tapping on the shoulder at the end of spring training and being like voter wants to see you, and you're like.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: So that has to be a little bit part of it. Wasn't relieving once the season started to not have to like be in that constant Maybe you're not maybe you're not in a fight or flight mode in spring training, and I'm totally wrong on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was pretty I mean I was pretty calmly. You know, I had faith whatever happened was meant to happen. So I just trust the Lord that you know, wherever I was going it was meant to be. And I was kind of at peace with it, and you know, it just ended up working out and had a good start of the year, So it just worked out.
Speaker 4: I was never worried, Parker. I knew you were making the team the whole time, man. And let's uh, you know, let's fast forward now one hundred innings later of work and you know, just kind of going through your minor league career one hundred and thirty innings, one hundred and thirty innings, you're getting to that threshold, and now almost two of the first All Star breaking your first full season. You know, how's how's the body hanging in there? Are you going to make any adjustments moving forward? Are you just kind of status quo this thing's going well. I don't want to mess with anything right now and feeling good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we actually made a couple delivery adjustments the last couple of weeks. It kind of helped the v low peak through through the hardest couple of bullets I have ever thrown the last couple of weeks. So I'm still making adjustments. Nothing nothing really with the pitches or anything like that. It's just me trying to figure out, you know, what routines work best for me week to week, and you know, what what should the bullpens look like? And you know, I'm figuring all that out and I'm kind of getting into a spot where I feel pretty comfortable and you know, hopefully I can just carry that into the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Who's the biggest help when you talk about those adjustments.
Speaker 2: We have I mean an entire our entire pitching staff, I mean along along with a lot of the players. The players honestly helped me a lot with you know, learning the right routines. And then you know, our pitching staff all the way, you know, Klueber, Joe Torres, Beg Carl everyone. You know, they're they're all awesome at just helping me in different ways, whether it's mechanically, you know, pitch sequencing, different pitch gripts. You know, they're all great. So it's been a combination of everyone, all.
Speaker 3: Right, So you have a lot of good people around you. But you have a lot of good facilities around you. Obviously you don't know what it used to look like. Well, I guess you did know what the old weight room and everything used to look like. I got a tour of Progressive Field like four weeks ago when you guys weren't there. Does that help? And the reason I asked that because you guys have this massive new facility inside, But does that help in creating value for a player like you that you're like, Okay, I'm trying to figure out how to stay healthy. We already had a really good training staff, but now we have this beautiful, immaculate facility to use too, and maybe this is what keeps me healthy through the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. I mean, you can ever go wrong with having enough recovery stuff. It's super important to the game, and you know, Cleveland does a great job of making sure that we have everything that we need to feel good every day on the field. So yeah, I definitely take advantage of the times that I'm at home. You know, it is a huge plus to be here.
Speaker 4: Parker kind of looking through what you do well man, and one thing I'm jealous of is you keep the ball in the yard. You know, major league gaverage one point three home runs per nine, you're chilling around zero point eight as someone that frequently let the ball go over the fence more than I would have liked. You know, That's what I struggled with, and something that I was aware of, right Like I would think of like my pitches that give up slug and kind of like really be picky about when I use those to certain guys that accel against those pitches, et cetera, et cetera. Is that something you're thinking about at all? Or is it just my arsenal gets the ball on the ground or keeps the ball in the yard or you kind of actively I guess we all do, but like, are you actively looking at ways to avoid slug?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think I think it's a little bit of both. There's times where, you know, I know, when I'm facing this certain all star hitter, if I have a pitch that is probably on the lower end of tiers of my pitches and it's definitely something that he hits, you know, really hard a lot of the time, then probably going to avoid that pitch as much as much as possible, or at least avoid it being in Z and then you know, a lot of times for me on the other side of things, I just like to lean on my strengths and you know, I'm gonna pitch how I like to pitch, because the most important, you know, thang for me is just getting ahead of guys. And when I'm ahead that I'm in the driver's seat and then I can kind of play around a little bit. So you know, a lot of times it's just me throwing my strengths. But at the same time, you got to you gotta pitch smart. I mean, hitters are really good in this league, so you can't be you can't be throwing your best stuff if it's something that you know they're they're gonna be able to tee off on a sea.
Speaker 1: Geek is MLB's official ticket marketplace, and in addition to finding every single game on the MLB calendar, there are big events coming up soon.
Speaker 5: There's an All Star game. There's a home run Derby, And if you think you're perfect and you can pick the right seat at the home run Derby to get the most home run balls, you can get the little green dot and that might be your lucky seat. Don't go red dot, though, because you might not get any balls, but go red, green dot and get as many home run balls as you think you can catch.
Speaker 1: YEP, you click the seat, you check out. What you're you is each ticket's rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. And that's what AJ's talking about. Green good, red bad. With those dots and the code for you territory one zero for ten percent off your next set of tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description of this episode that'll help you download the app and then get the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later. Thank you to zee Geek.
Speaker 3: How much do you get into those scattering reports? Do you just take what everybody gives you or do you create your own scattering report and then look at what the team gives you That.
Speaker 2: We get a lot of information on other teams from our team, So I think it's just a combination of me knowing watching the game and seeing swings along with our catchers and pitching coaches, and then also like going into the data side of things and seeing what pitches they slug, what do they take? You know, what are they hitting hard? What are they hitting saw just a combination of both.
Speaker 3: Is there a certain picture that you watch? The reason I ask is like, I watch I watched a certain hitter when I was hitting, how pitchers faced him. When you're pitching, when you're about to face a team, do you go to someone else in your division that you're like, oh, I want to watch how he threw against the White Sox when they come in town.
Speaker 2: Not really. I think for me it's it's more identifying what pitches I think are going to play to certain hitters because I think you know every picture you can, you can try and compare picture to pitcher, but everyone's going to have their own delivery. It's going to come out of a different slot, different angle, different tempo, different body movements, So I think every picture is different. So for me, I just try and figure out what my own pitches would would play the specific specific hitters in certain parts of the zone.
Speaker 4: Parker, I did zero research on this, but I'm just assuming you guys are the only team that has run out the same five star from the start. Maybe not, but I bet it's it's in the single digits, you know, between you Tanner, Gavin, Joey and Slade making all seventeen now some of all eighteen starts? What are you guys bouncing off each other? You know, I look back at some of the times when like Kershawn Buehler and Yurius and rich Hill, we're really dialed in, and I was kind of along for the ride with them and making some starts, and we were like sitting next to each other in the dugout while the other was pitching and hyping them up. And you know, he went six shutty tomorrow, I want to go seven shuddy or whatever. You know, how you guys bouncing off each other, learning from each other. A lot of you guys are young, and I gotta imagine that's been a lot of fun so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's awesome for me, especially going in my rookie ear to have a group of guys that are pretty close and all, you know, click well together. You know, we do a lot of stuff off field together as well. So it's just a good group of our five guys that you know, we were always communicating, always, you know, pushing each other and learning from each other. And you know, I think we talked about it earlier, like the fact that all five of us have been able to make every start, it just shows, you know, how diligent everyone one of the pitchers are with their routines and how well the training staff and strength conditioning and everyone you know works with us to make sure that we're healthy and can be on the field all the time. But it's been a lot of fun. You know, hopefully we can keep it going the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: All right, what would an All Star Game mean to you? What would what would that mean? Or would it be something that's like, well, that's kind of surreal, Like I never really imagined something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it would be surreal for sure. I you know, I didn't think at the start of this year that I'd be in a position to you know, be in the talks for it. So it's it's just really cool. I'm thankful for the Lord that I'm in this position, and you know, if if it happens, it would mean the world. And if not, then I'm gonna keep trying to get the Guardians wins. So I mean it doesn't really matter. But you know, I know how big of an honor that would be, and you know it would be a huge accomplishment, and you know I'd be it would be super grateful.
Speaker 4: Along those lines, Man, I can tell you're a humble kid. So this is gonna be a tough question, but I'm gonna put you on the spot. You're kind of flirting with all these things this year All Star, you're on the ballot for like a Rookie of the Year. You're off to a great start, and you almost threw the no hitter. Man, let's say you know the year's over, it's now Christmas time. You're looking back at my rookie year. Man, it's like I could have been an All Star. I could have been Rookie of the Year. I could have thrown a no hitter. Which one of those three you think you're choosing?
Speaker 2: Oh, Man, that one's tough, Uh, I can I don't know. It'd probably be between I'll say I'll say Rookie of the Year, just because that's the only one you can do once. I can you I can be an All Star later in my career, and I can throw another no hitter later in my career. So I'll go with that option. But you know, all three would be super special. That's a good ansa.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, then that leads right into my question. Right now, you're you're in, You're in the mix for Rookie of the Year, but the rookie of the year most likely is gonna come out of the American League Central. Of the guys that you've seen, you know, the guys from your own teammate Travis to to uh Akamoto up in Toronto, to Moricamedi and m freaking from from the Tigers. McGonagall, thank you McGonagall. Who do you feel like most impressed you throughout this season when you've seen them?
Speaker 2: I have seen, uh every I mean, I've seen everyone play at different levels. You know, I've seen you know, each one have really good games really and you know, not so great games, And that's the part of being a rookie in the in in the big league. So I mean, I honestly don't know. Everyone's been super talented, and it's it's really cool to have so many talented young guys in the AL Central and to be able to compete compete against them all the time. So maybe I'll have a better, more specific answer by the end of the year. But I mean, everyone's super impressive. So far, and it's really fun for me to be able to compete against all of those guys.
Speaker 4: Parker, how about just you know so far almost a year into your big league career. Here you talked about some i think mechanical changes earlier that you made. Have you noticed any arsenal changes that you you've deployed. Are you are you still kind of deploying your pitches as you were the first time you stepped on a big league mound, or are you already starting to make some adjustments as you've seen maybe your self change or the hitters adjust to you, or right now just kind of kind of you know, hanging with my strengths. I'm gonna go at you guys until you figure me out and then I'll adjust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of came in with that approach, like I'm gonna I'm a young guy, this this is what I got, This is what got me here, So I'm gonna lean on that and then I've I've had to make some adjustments as hitters have learned more about me and what I like to do. So, you know, I came into this year throwing a cutter along with with the other five pitches, which I didn't do last year, So that was an adjustment going in from this offseason into the season. And you know, I'm just kind of trying to be learn learning when to use certain pitches and you know what count buckets? Do I throw pitches that get me ahead? And what are my swinging mis pitches? And you know, these hitters are really good and that their swings are my biggest teacher, and it just helps me. I get the feedback immediately off of a pitch that I throw, whether it looked good or whether it didn't, you know, based off of their take or their swing or how hard they hit it. So I'm constantly learning and constantly adjusting based off of my arsenal and the things that the hitters like and the things that they don't.
Speaker 3: All Right, one of your rookie buddies on the team, real new rookie, So he's sitting way farther in the back than you are. Cooper Engle threw the ball into the stands accidentally with two outs instead of three. How is that handled in your dugout? Is that handled with? Oh man, nobody say anything? Is that somebody yelling at him? Or is it joked about later?
Speaker 2: No, it's something I think the older guys did a really good job handling that. I mean I did. I stayed out of that conversation other than me, you know, just hopping on the butt, like you know, that's that's a tough thing to have to go through. Is a couple of first days in the in the big league. So I think they handled it well. You know, I saw a bunch of the guys in the locker room laughing about it with them after the game, and you know, they did a phenomenal job of you know, everyone understands that it's a mistake and no one wants to be that person. So I think our older guys did a phenomenal job handling that. And you know, Cooper's been the same guy in the locker room every day and I have no doubt that not hopefully we really learned from that, but he's going to be a phenomenal player and the rest of the season for us.
Speaker 3: Who's that guy, who's the older guy that first steps up to like pat him on the button, like tell him it's okay.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's you have Austin Hedges, David Frye, Rees Hoskins, Stephen Kwan, It was a group effort, and you know, I'm probably leaving a couple of guys out, but those are just you know, some of the ones off the top of my head. And they were with him pretty much immediately after the game, and you know, it seemed pretty light and they handled it well.
Speaker 3: Is there somebody that you've seen, not necessarily played against, but when you saw him out in the field here in this first full season in the big leagues that you're like, well, I saw that guy, like, well, I struck out show or is there Are you not enamored by anybody in the game.
Speaker 2: No, I mean for sure. The first my first star was against the Dodgers and I had, you know, that star stutted lineup. And then immediately against the Cubs and I was facing Bregmant and then I think it was like Atlanta right after that and I had to face Acunya. So I mean every start that I have that the guy that I haven't faced. When you know you're a superstar, it feels feels like I was just yesterday. I was like in high school watching all these guys playing All Star games and you know, playing with them on MBI the Show. And now I'm having to face them. So it's definitely something super cool for me to be able to say that I'm doing and I'm just super grateful that I have this opportunity.
Speaker 1: Oh Parker, you got a good group. It's been fun to watch men. Keep it up. Hopefully we'll see in Philadelphia too. Great talking to you. Thanks for the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you guys for having me. I appreciate it.