Speaker 1: Welcome to Hat of Money. I'm Joel, I'm Matt.
Speaker 2: Today we're talking about brainless borrowing, Doge dividends and abroad on a budget.
Speaker 1: Doge dividends. Jiel, that's a headline that's like specifically written for the Friday flight. Yes, because of the alliterations. Of course, your favorite thing, that's what I do? Best man? What's this thing about? Newly So? And you U l y right?
Speaker 2: So I thought this and this is a particular website company, but there are other ones that do similar things apparently like rent the runway or whatever. But you and I a closed website. We haven't yeah, we haven't talked about this actually on the show. But we got nominated for an iHeart Podcast Award, the best in the Best Business category best Business and Finance Podcasts, and we're probably gonna lose. Like, let's be honest, there's.
Speaker 1: A chance we win. I mean, well, we're a one out of five nominated, but there's I think a less than twenty percent chance that we win, twenty chance of us making it. I don't know, maybe.
Speaker 2: We're probably not, but so Emily, my wife and I were like, let's go down for it. The awards are here, in a little over a week. You sadly can't make it. So if we do win, I'll be hoisting the trophy alone without you, which will be sad. But again, we're not winning, okay. So Emily's like, I need a fancy dress for this occasion. We're going to like a podcast award show, right, like, don't don't you walk down the red carpet and you wear something nice?
Speaker 1: What am I gonna wear?
Speaker 2: And those kinds of dresses are I guess are typically pretty expensive, and she's like, what why not just rent something? And so we've never tried one of these websites before. I don't know if guys do it or not. Like I think my buddy Josh has done something called stitch fix before, so I think some guys do rent close.
Speaker 1: Stitch Fix was like they send you a of clothes. Maybe that's it. Maybe you keep it stitch fixed. I don't know. I don't know how that works.
Speaker 2: But we looked into this into Newly and so she's gonna get like like a six hundred dollars dress for this occasion. You get like six pieces for like one hundred bucks, and then you can.
Speaker 1: Cancel at any time.
Speaker 2: So it's one of those things where you're not obligated to rent clothes from them for six months or a year or anything like that. So especially for like a special occasion, if you don't want to go fork over big bucks for the nice dress for that when you are you know, how often are these events actually occur?
Speaker 1: Right? It's kind of rare. So I mean you said one hundred bucks and that still sounds pretty dang expensive. It's just like, is it worth it though to spend you know, I guess six times that in order to get the six hundred dollars dress, and I think it might. This is probably why it makes more sense for ladies than it does for men, because with men's clothing and fashion generally speaking, there's not a whole lot that changes, right, Like you get yourself a good fitting tucks or suit and you're gonna wear that thing for like twenty years. Where it's just it is a little bit different when it comes to the ladies. Well, I think is that a part of the pink tax that I think get. I think there's just different standards as to what's expected of the ladies up and which is a bummer, Like you might love the dress and hey, it's fun for this, but do you want to wear it again? Right? Yeah? I know.
Speaker 2: There's like a different thing about wearing the same dress to fancy.
Speaker 1: If I was a if I was a lady, I would get an awesome dress and I would wear it to everything, Like to all these events. It's just like, oh, there's Matt.
Speaker 2: Well, well you are who literally wears the same shirt or the same outfit like six or seven days in a row, that's.
Speaker 1: In the winter. I can because I maybe like you wear the undershirt and like I'm like my outer button up shirt. It doesn't get dirty. And so I literally have the ability. I will literally wear a new fresh shirt on Sunday, wear it all throughout the week, and then by the time Friday rolls around and I'm like, all right, it's trust. I have noticed it's starting to get a little bit stale. It doesn't get stinky because again, the shirts that touched the skin, you gotta those are going straight to the hamp after one used socks, underwear, T shirt. It's one use. This is what we're teaching our kids. But everything I was like pants, you know, pay she can get several days out of it. Shorts, I know, it depends on the shorts, but maybe you can get a couple of days out of that jacket. In jackets, jeans like these are things that you rarely need to wash, which is of course going to lengthen the life of your clothing as well. But I think that's fun though. That Emily is, she's getting all dolled up, getting dressed up. And I didn't think. I didn't realize it's gonna be like the Oscars, But I don't know it is. We'll see. I have no idea what to expect, but I think, you know, y'll show up and everyone else is wearing like jeans and T shirts. That might be the case. Hey, no young being overdressed. You know, it's just like, sorry, we've got a gala after this. We didn't dress up for this, We dress up for the other thing. Okay, Yeah, I love it. I'll let you know if we if we win, But if we win, you need to FaceTime me live and I'll be like, you know, like the little microphone. Well yeah, all right, buddy, that'll be me, yeah, yelling through the phone.
Speaker 2: I look forward to it. All right, all right, let's move on, mat, Let's get to Friday. Flight as sampling stories we found interesting this week. Let's kick it off. Let's talk about travel. If you want to fly for less money, it's not all about finding the right discount airline or snagging a sweet sale price. Like wait, I think Southwest had a thirty percent off sale on certain flights this week. I saw that, which is awesome. Yeah, you might be able to fly for less right if you find one of those sales. But it would also be smart to fly or to attempt to fly from the airports that offer the least expensive fares most regularly. So to help us out here, the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, they listed the lowest cost airports to embark from, and Matt, I think we should name them right, because if you know, let's do the airports that traditionally offer the lowest prices. Hey, you might want to like start looking to see whether you can find a flight from there, as opposed to maybe the airport that's closest to your house. So Fort Lauderdale, Orlando. So we got two Florida airports first off, but then Vegas, Chicago and LaGuardia. Those are going to nab you the lowest domestic fares on average dolls.
Speaker 1: In Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: That's the most expensive airport to fly from, and the average price difference MATT between flights from Fort Lauderdale and from the Washington Dollas Airport it's more than two hundred dollars a ticket.
Speaker 1: That's pretty steep.
Speaker 2: So if you live in Washington, DC, it's not like you're driving down to Fort Lauderdale right to save money on your ticket. But I think this just goes to show that if you only shop at the airport that's nearest to you, you might be leaving out other potential options to reduce the cost of your travel. So shop around, set fair alerts, but also look to cheaper airports that you might be able to reasonably fly from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I noticed you said LaGuardia. Does everyone say La Guardia or LaGuardia Guardia? Is it? Why is it Guardia because it's spelled just the last name? Oh is that? Yeah? I don't know who that is? Based after a former New York City mayor, Charles Well because like the like the way you spell guard like, you don't pronounce it like Gouard to the base you say guard Okay, multation over. So regarding the different regarding the different airports. What's so fascinating too, is the fact that one of the biggest differences, or one of the biggest reasons for the price discrepancy, is because of competition. Yeah, and so specifically Dalls, Like I was really fascinating. I'm like, why is it so much more expensive? Is it because that's where all the politicians fly into and they are priced in sensitive? Perhaps, but it also has a lot to do with the different airlines that service that airport, and there's a lot of competition there. But specifically United Airlines has over seventy percent market share. They basically have a stranglehold, which means they can set the prices high and you don't have many other options to get around that as opposed.
Speaker 2: To do you think Atlanta wasn't on that list? Yeah, there's we got tons of different options. So no, no, no, no, it wasn't on the list. Because Delta probably runs sixty plus percent of the flights out of.
Speaker 1: UMAN compared to the most expensive list, we do have a lot of options. But I was going to say, guess the market share of United at Fort Lauderdale. So at Dallas it's seven twenty percent. At Fort Lauderdale. Any guesses, I'm I guess fifteen eight okay, eight percent, so and that's much lower compared to I think the top three where Spirit Jet Blue in Southwest, which sense like the low cost affordable airlines provides that competition, and that's a huge driving factor behind why there's such a price discrepancy as well.
Speaker 2: And so when there is a major airline based out of that city who runs, they kind of run the show. They're going to have a lot more pricing power and they can kind of keep some people out. I mean, Southwest came to Atlanta a few years back, but they're even talking about reducing flights. So I'm guessing the situation, the pricing situation in coming to and from the Atlanta airport, it's only going to get worse, like get a little stiffer in the coming years. Okay, let's keep talking about travel, Matt. As more airline frequent flyer programs have put the emphasis on how much you spend versus how often you travel. It's all about, you know, spending more money on tickets instead of just flying regularly. Folks are opting to play the field in attempts to save money, saying, ah, I don't think I'm gonna book with the airline, and normally I go with a particular airline because I'm used to flying them. But people are saying I'm gonna be a little less loyal moving forward. And we've always said that being loyal to one brand or one airline it's a bad idea because it's gonna cost you money. Right, But even for normal people who only travel a few times a year, some of those loyalty perks, like when combined with let's say a proprietary credit card, they could result in some pretty sweet benefits for travelers, potentially enough to justify a higher ticket price. But I think those days are coming to an end, and we are all for loyalty in some areas of life, right, like friendship and love. Like Matt, you and I were loyal to each other. We're gonna be best friends, yeah, boy forever.
Speaker 1: But move over, Zach Braff and Donald Fason. We're better than that. We're real friends. We're real, real friends. They're real friends too, right, Evidently. Yeah, we haven't gotten that T mobile commercial yet though, you know, Kate, I I've debated watching Scrubs with the kids because it was one of our favorite shows back in college. And every time those T mobile commercials come on, they just totally crack up. They think that they are so funny, and they are. And Kate and I looked at each other, We're just like, oh my gosh, they would so enjoy scrubs. I'm not totally sure how appropriate that would be for a six year old. That's a seven year old. That's a good question. Okay.
Speaker 2: So loyalty it's great in some areas, not great in others, specifically when we're talking about airlines for most people. Right, So, yeah, if you're in the position if you find that your perks have diminished from the airline that you typically fly with, but the price of your ticket hasn't and airfares are going up, folks, look elsewhere. Google Flights is like the proper place to start searching. Oh yeah, be more interested in paying the least amount of money for the fair as opposed to going with.
Speaker 1: The airline you're used to flying. Yeah, shopping around is going to pay off, man. But on top of that, every trip is on sale because of the current strength of the dollar. Friend of the show Elaying Glusac, she wrote about this over in The Times and she found that a hotel room in Europe that costs two hundred twenty four dollars last summer cost only two hundred and eight dollars today. So it's not just that the dollar is more competitive against the euro, but the Japanese yend the Canadian dollar, they have also become weaker compared to the to the US dollar. Basically because of favorable exchange rates. Your money goes further in many overseas countries and destinations right now, and so don't only think about the cost of the flight in and of itself, granted that is a huge part of the cost of afacation, but also think about how much everything else is gonna cost during your stay as well. Gives you the chance to go abroad and maybe live a little bit beyond your not beyond your means, but maybe just a slightly fancier trip than maybe what you're used to. It feels like you're living above your means because when you go over there, you're like, wait a second, my money goes further. And so it feels like with every purchase you make, or or going out to eat or something like that, or the hotel that you're paying for, it shall cost a little bit less because it's a dollar strong. Yeah, it feels like this is everything ten percent of what's feel like exactly exactly exactly, which is pretty sweet feeling. Matt.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about credit cards. I see that article discussed the secondary benefits of credit cards, and that's something that we sing the praises of that. It's not just the two percent cash back or the travel rewards, although those are great. There are other benefits of credit cards as well, you know, and some of them don't get touted all that much, really, but they can be incredibly rewarding. And so this author has seen that they got a new battery for their iPhone without having and paying for Apple Care, and that was thanks to the Chase Freedom Flex card saved them ninety bucks because that's what it would have cost otherwise. I think this is I just wanted to use this as a reminder to tell people not to sleep on the secondary benefits of that credit cards have to offer. Like you can snag cell phone insurance or no foreign transaction fees, or trip cancelation coverage or baggage delay insurance or purchase production or a longer extended warranty. There are just so many things that are under the surface oftentimes that most people don't realize. You're like, oh, I get the two percent cash back, or I'm getting the five percent back when I when I pay for gas and those things. That's awesome, Like I'm all for those rewards. But then there are these other ones that most people I think they just forget or they neglect to think about, and they can be pretty rewarding too.
Speaker 1: I'll forget about the CDW man, the colision damage waiver. Get that primary benefit that's stuff when you travel, and that's so that's a massive if you travel at least a week a year, you want that benefit that you would use regularly as well as opposed to just when things go poorly. Yeah, but I guess if you get in direct things have gone poorly, but it's it's paying for the insurance to make sure that you are covered in case something like that were to happen. One of the other benefits, too, is that those credit card credit card rewards, they don't get taxed, which of course we're thankful for. It's one of the only ways that we can avoid the tax man. The thrift y traveler, they had an article about this particular subject. And it's worth mentioning that some kinds of credit card rewards actually will result in taxation. You don't have to worry about your sign up bonus that doesn't get taxed. It's treated as a like a rebate essentially for your spending your two percent cash back, your travel points. They're not gonna get taxed either. But and this is news to me man referral bonuses, they do get taxed. I didn't know this. And so if you send your friend a link to sign up for one of your favorite cards, if you are one of those credit card optimizers out there and you're trying to get everyone on board, just credit card pusher slashy, you're also trying to like earner your own rewards, you're gonna get it ten ninety nine for the bonus that you receive if they sign up. And even if the bonus came in the form of miles, you are supposed to pay tax. So you know, I'm not totally sure what the follow through rate is when it comes to some of the different banks, but don't be surprised if you receive a ten ninety nine in the mail for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, heads up, all right, Matt, let's talk about getting paid from your employer and I getting paid. Yeah, sometimes pay comes in the form of non monetary compensation, right. We always talk about looking at your your total compensation package when you're looking for a job, or you're trying to assess the benefits of a job offer you have, or even just like kind of thinking, well, how competitive is the pay that I'm earning currently where I'm at versus what maybe a friend or what other people in the industry are earning somewhere else, somewhere down the street. Well, the Wall Street Journal just wrote about why one perk that looks great it really isn't, And that's unlimited vacation time. This is something like that I feel like I've seen popping up more and more as companies offering Hey, no, no, no, it's not just two weeks of PTO. You can take as much time off as you want. And that's kind of the pitch. That's the cell from the company that you can travel as frequently as you desire. But everyone I've talked to, I don't know about you, Matt, who has this benefit, they don't feel okay using it. So this sounds like a great perk but in reality maybe doesn't play out so well. That kind of the unspoken rules dictate that you're not supposed to abuse your newfound freedom, like the ability to travel as much as you want, which I think actually causes people from what I can from what I can tell, to take even less time off than they're allowed. It's a sad reality. But I would say, make sure to look this gift horse in the mouth and ask about how this benefit functions in reality. If you're applying for a job and the employer says, hey, this is one of the perks we offer, I would want to know more about how that actually works and whether people actually take a significant amount of time off, because we're always talking about how Americans don't taken off their vacation time. If they have like a specific amount allotted, they never take the full amount. We should all be taken our vacation man, Like it's one of those perks that we've earned that we deserve and all work and no play makes us pretty dull too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally agree. It feels like one of those things where it's a benefit that like I don't even know if this exists, but like it makes me think if you go to like an arcade and it's just like if you get this wrisk band, it's unlimited coke refills, or like if you buy the special cup at a gas station, it's like anytime you come in with your cup, you just drink whatever you want. But the reality is is how much are you actually how much soda are you actually going to drink? And do you want to drink an unlimited amount of coke? Like every time I'm gonna drink till kidney failures. Kenny feels like something where it's just like on paper, it seems appealing until you actually start thinking through it and it's just like, well, what's the actual reality of me taking full advantage of this? And when it comes to time off, it's like, Okay, are we talking about how great it would be to take unlimited time off or maybe we just need to actually take the time off based on a normal amount of vacation days. And certainly it probably should be higher in the US because we're such a work performance, productivity driven culture. But I think that's something else to keep in mind as well. Another typical perk that we not we joel, but that most folks often get from their employer. Our employers stage is health insurance. But as we're seeing a rise in small business formation entrepreneurs, they got to figure out how to get coverage without bankrupting themselves, which is like the whole point of starting a business is maybe for this to succeed. Vox they detailed the rise of health sharing companies, not health care companies, but they are growing quickly. These health sharing companies. Almost two million Americans find themselves on one of these plans that look like health insurance, but they have meaningful differences, and it's basically the number of folks that are on these plants have doubled in the past several in the past few years. So look into them because they like there's significant savings to be had, but do be careful, know the fine print, know the exclusions. Juel and I we are both on metas Share specifically they've worked well for us, but we also haven't tested the limits, although some friends of ours have. I think about some some good friends, and I think it was literally the year after they joined on, she ruptured or tore her achilles, and they were also like, well, we were thinking about getting tonsils removed and adenoids as well from like one of their whatever that is. I don't know. I think it's in your mouth.
Speaker 2: Somewhere, your throat.
Speaker 1: But they did all of that within a year because they were gonna they knew that they're going to hit their what's called the annual household portion, and it worked incredibly well for them, which was really encouraging because I'm like, all right, I'm pretty sure this is going to work out. And I think we'd even kind of steered them in like that direction because they were paying an inordinate amount of it was a little nervous. I'm just like, oh man, how this works out. It worked out great for them. I love the fact that more people are getting on this. I was talking to a nurse friend a few days ago. So she's a nurse, she works within the health care industry, and I don't know how. We got to talking about healthcare and I was I kind of sheepishly was like, yeah, I don't know, I rarely go to the doctor. And got to talking about health sharing. And you would expect with her that she'd be on some sort of Cadillac Premium Primo healthcare plus health Care Prime health account job, but all the healthcare you can eat. She is on a health sharing plan. Wow, because she's like, yeah, so s thinking expensive, Like we don't even pay for the kind of coverage that we often take at the hospital. Blew my mind. But it's just evidence of the fact that that's an area an industry that needs a little bit of a reform, and I'm glad that there's competition.
Speaker 2: And not everyone can choose to go this routelet right, We were like literally talking to a friend last night who has a young daughter who has had cancer for many, many years. They have a lot of employments they have to go to. It gets really expensive, and so their employment decisions are largely based around healthcare, which makes total sense for them. But for other families like we have been pretty fortunate on the healthcare front, and so we're able to go opt for something like this in order to reduce our out of pocket on a monthly basis, and figures crossed that it saves us money over time because we're just not shelling out as much for healthcare overall. But again, this is a personal decision, and more Americans are choosing some of these health sharing options because they are saving the money. But the trade offs are a crucial thing to take into account. All right, Map, We've got more to get to on this episode, including where you talk about some of the worst places to borrow money. Borrowing money has gotten more expensive over the past couple of years. We'll talk about that and whether or not you're gonna get a five thousand dollars check in the mail from the government right after this.
Speaker 1: All right, Joel, we are back from the break and of course it is now time for the ludicrous headline of the week. It's from c NETS. The headline reads, is a tax prep service promising you a huge tax refund? It could be a scam, Joel. We're sharing this one because we want folks to know that if you have a burning desire to get a massive, huge tax refund, well, it can interfere with your decision making skills. It can cause you to fall prey to what's being called a ghost tax preparer. Yeah spooky, yeah Bay? Is it a friendly ghost like Casper or friendly? So essentially, if a so called tax preparer is highlighting how big of the refund they can help you to get before knowing your specifics, the alarm bells should be going off. The way it works is that individual is going to then file your return with fake deductions with credits that you don't actually qualify for, and of course they're gonna then charge you based on a percentage of your overall tax refund, so they are incentivized to get as many deductions in their ass possible. It raises how much you are going to then pay them, but then your prepare disappears, you're left cleaning up the mess. This is not the kind of situation you want to find yourself in, and so if you want tax help, we would recommend for you to ask around to friends, ask for recommendations. Don't go rogue on such an important hire like this as you're doing your own homework. Make sure that the tax preparer has a Prepare tax identification number. If they're trying to file your taxes, prepare your taxes without having that, they're breaking the law. That's also another red flag. Make sure that they've got a physical address as opposed to just this. Oh, they've got a website. They seem totally legit, but it's pretty easy to up and vanish in the middle of the night with a website versus having a physical off as a physical location, and this is so nefarious.
Speaker 2: Matt because so many people they bank on that massive refund every year. And if someone's kind of selling them a bill of goods, like, hey, we'll get you the bigger refund, like we have special tactics to score you more money back.
Speaker 1: From the federal You want to leave money on the table.
Speaker 2: No, And that's so it sounds so promising, and you're like, well, normally get like two grand, but this guy's saying I'm gonna get like five or six. That is, you typically want to walk down that road, except for in this case it's totally false. You're gonna be in hot water with the irs, which brings up the perpetual point of contention come tax season, should you go tax software or should you hire a tax pro and Kiplinger they did a great job covering this. They basically suggested that software is great for folks who take the standard deduction, who only earn income as a W two employee, and who only invest in traditional assets like stocks, and also for folks who have lived in one state for the entire year. So if you moved, you might want to hire somebody. So if that's you, though, and you fall into all those categories, use software like go with the free or cheap options. Cash app in particular is still our favorite because they're one hundred percent free for federal infrastate filing.
Speaker 1: What it used to be called before cash app bought it.
Speaker 2: It was credit credit car mattaxt credit. Yeah, and then cash at bought it from them, and.
Speaker 1: It's continued to do an excellent job.
Speaker 2: Excellent job, and it's more robust than a lot of the other free services, even the IRS Direct file service. But let's say you don't meet all those requirements or are you you know, you've got to come from another source or you itemize your deductions, right, If you have more complexity, it's often worth the cost to hire a pro as long as they're not one of those ghost prepares that I just talked about. Make sure they're a legit tax prepare. They know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: So it's hard for me to hear you say ghosts prepare it and not think of ghost peppers. Remember back when ghost peppers were all the rage? No, when were they all the rage? Like fifteen years ago, oh something like that. That's like when all these like super hot peppers started king. I hear ghosts prepare, I think ghost pets. Uh huh, that's when that's the first time ever heard of like the Skulville heat like that, which I know about from Hot Ones, right, which I've never watched, actually never seen an episode of Hot Ones. No. I mean, okay, you got to watch the Conan O'Brien episode. It's insane. That's funny. It's so funny, I guess, Okay, sounds entertaining. I guess. I just think of folks who are like going after the hottest pepper and it's like, oh, this one because the ghost pepper used to be the hottest and now there's other hybrids that they've come out with, and it's like, well, this one's got two million Skulville units or whatever. It's just not something I'm interested in at some point. Humans, Uh, why would you want to do that? To you? Just do it? And plus like it makes me think about I want to eat like a mildly hot peppers. Well, Joe, let's talk about debt, because we are not debt and enthusiasts, but we're also not debt haters to the core. Some types of debt, when used wisely in moderation, we think can help you to accelerate your different financial goals. We're talking about things like a mortgage, maybe a small amount of student loans to help you to get a degree, but specifically what you are borrowing for and the interest rate attached to that loan are going to be crucial factors when you're trying to decide whether that debt product is bad, whether it's neutral, or whether it's you know, a potentially decent investment. And a new report from Solo, it's like a community finance platform, first name Han, but they highlighted some of the worst places to borrow and they're highlighting the negative impact of short term loans that come with incredibly high fees with high interest rates, subprime credit cards, payday loans, and earned wage access that's like the different platforms and apps that allow you to get paid early. They were some of the worst culprits out there, and we totally one hundred percent agree those are crappy products that should be avoided at all costs. Man.
Speaker 2: We've talked smack about every single one of those at some point, we hade them in the past, and yeah, I think that earned wage access one matter, is particularly nefarious because it looks so benevolent and those apps are so good at marketing, they're so slick and then made people think, oh, it.
Speaker 1: Looks like it's free.
Speaker 2: All I gotta do is is leave them a little tip for the app creators. And when you factor in how bad, how rotten that tip is from an interest rate standpoint, it's awful and it's obliterating a reasonable chunk of your pay that you shouldn't be forking over to somebody. There's no you don't want to access your paycheck early because it's going to cost you too much.
Speaker 1: It feels like a two point like a wolf payday loan two point zero and cheap loathing.
Speaker 2: Essentially, it's just a modern slicker version of it that looks less nefarious, but underneath the surface is rotten to the core. They also mentioned in that report peer to peer lending and by Now Pay Later as some of the places people turn when they're in a financial pinch, right, and those forms of debt can charge you sky high interest if you don't make your payments on time. So for by Now Pay Later, for instance, right, you might find that the interest in fees are equivalent to a forty five percent combined rate according to SOLO. If you're not making your payments on time. So the macroeconomical is that borrowing costs are up on every debt vehicle these days, right, making every single form of debt more precarious, and the worst kinds of debt have become even even worse right over the past couple of years. A whole lot of Americans are attracted to these forms of debt because they have no savings to pay for an emergency man. I think that's that's why people fall for these traps. They feel like they have no other recourse. That's why we talk about the emergency fund twenty four hundred and sixty seven dollars, the bare minimum. Oh, you got to hit that amounts. That's crucial to help you avoid needing to turn to one of these really crummy debt vehicles that could essentially bend you over a barrel for months or years to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so you know I love numbers, Joel. I love counching the numbers. And we've been saying the two four hundred and sixty seven dollars amount for a while. Are you obtaining it for inflation? We have to agree on this together. But doing a drum roll and a big reveal. I just let me just talk to the numbers, because the number numbers are fun. Raise your hand if you love math. Everybody numbers like Shakira's hips don't lie. So that Rep. Shakira, right, I don't know, I think so, But that was based on research based back in twenty nineteen. Okay, twenty nineteen is when we identified, oh, we need to start recommending to everyone to have four hundred and sixty seven dollars set aside. Guess what the the total inflation has, what it's been since twenty nineteen. It's a total of and he guesses, uh, I'm gonna go thirty two percent. Well, not quite that that high twenty three point four to five cent. So if you were to adjust two four hundred and sixty seven dollars, if you were to update that to take into account inflation since twenty nineteen, that means today the new money gear number one initial emergency fund should be three thousand and forty five dollars. Okay, three thousand forty five. What do you think? Does that have a good ring to it? It's is it as good as two thousand and four and sixty seven?
Speaker 2: It doesn't roll off the tongue as much, but we want to be accurate. Thirty forty five Yeah, okay, that sounds better. Yeah that okay, all right, so maybe we will update the site and start recommending for folks it's thirty forty five that because that's a significantly larger amount of money than I mean, this is solid more than five hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: So just something to keep in mind. Okay, we mentioned doge last week and the implications of DOGE on the federal workforce. President Trump he has floated the idea of sending a portion of the savings that Doge claws back to Americans in the form of a direct payment. And if you've read any articles on this, if you've seen this talked about, you've seen like a five thousand dollars number pretty early on. That kind of reminds me of the early days of the stimu dollars. You know. Yeah, eyes get bigger, mouth starts watering a little bit. You start thinking you're gonna see a direct deposit in your account.
Speaker 2: Wait a second, how much am I getting? And you kind of start pre spending it before it even drops.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, because the precedent has been set. But the way it works is some of the savings from DOGE would help to pay down the federal debt, while twenty percent could evidently flow to individuals. Sounds nice, but we don't want folks to hold their breath. I think we are unlikely to get a check for five thousand dollars in the mailbox anytime soon. Oh yeah, I can't imagine what that would do to inflation. And it just does not seem very likely personally, right.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's one of those things where people are gonna see headlines, they're gonna be like, cool, where's my DOGE dividend, where's the check? When's it coming? And it's not. It's not coming. Like, it's highly unlikely.
Speaker 1: I just don't see to be the bearer of bad news, right, Okay, Well, I just can't believe that they floated this idea, that they stuck it out there without I mean, it's just how the current administration works. They're just constantly throwing ideas out there. But when you know substance to back it up, when you put something out there like this that folks are like, that's something that they can wrap their heads around, that's incredibly tangible. They've seen what that felt like in the past, and if you don't deliver on that, folks are going to be pissed.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's kind of like the student loan forgiveness thing, but I think this of this is actually being a little bit worse because the student loan forgiveness thing was they were attempting to do this and there might be a legal way to pull this off, but ultimately there were a lot of disappointed student loan borrowers at the end of the day because that promise didn't come to fulfillment. This is another one of those things where it's a promise that's not going to happen, and that's because five thousand dollars per household. Well that's the estimate based on DOGE cutting two trillion dollars in federal spending. There's zero sign that DOGE is going to find a way to slash government spending anywhere near that level. Not that there won't be some spending cuts around the margins that could shrink the size of government a bit, but as we said last week, entitlement programs would have to be significantly altered in order to realize savings of that magnitude. Those make up two thirds of the roughly seven trillion dollar budget, and there's just no political will to touch those programs in the slightest Like the President has basically said we aren't going to cut back in any way, form or fashion on those entitlement.
Speaker 1: Programs the campaign on that.
Speaker 2: So I think a five hundred dollars check, much less a five thousand dollars check, is a pipe dream. Just don't read that headline and assume that government money is heading your way soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally agree. Kind of it reminds me of like so they also mentioned possibly floating the idea of a gold card for folks who want to rich people from over the US citizens, which sounds ridiculous, Like that's how this the Doge dividends sound. It just kind of sounds ridiculous. Catches all the headlines the gold cards. It sounds like it's totally something Trump would do because it's gold, you know. But I will say, once you start realizing that other countries have incentives like this, it seems less ridiculous, Like it just seems like some sort of pipe dream, like, Oh, let's throw this up the wall and see what sticks. You just assume that everything that the current administration is doing is like completely ridiculous until you start seeing that, Oh, other countries also incentivize investment and high net worth individuals to move to their country for the good of the overall country.
Speaker 2: Gold card thing seems less ridiculous, less ridiculous, Yeah, totally, And it's you're incentivizing people to come to your country who are hopefully going to be productive citizens. Yeah, invest in the economy. But we'll see if it pants, will see if that pants out here. All right, that's gonna do it for this episode. We will post links to some of the stories that we mentioned in today's Friday Flight up on our website at Howtomoney dot com. Matt, it's gonna do it for this one. Until next time.
Speaker 1: Best Friends Out, Best Friends Out,