Speaker 1: How a cyber security training company hired a fake employee. Apple Maps comes to the web ten years after launching on the iPhone. The FCC wants to know how fast your Internet is? Plus your tech questions answered.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: I'm rich Damiro and this is rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about, and it's the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe the tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight rich one oh one, That is eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to rich on tech dot tv and hit contact again the phone number eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, the website rich on tech dot tv, hit contact Guests. This week we've got Steve Churchin, cybersecurity expert with zipro dot com. He's going to talk about some of the lessons learned from that CrowdStrike incident. Now that things have had a little chance to settle down. Ne'rov Gandhia, founder of House of Tech, will give his impressions about Samsung's latest devices, including their foldables, their watches, and their ring and friend of the show, Jefferson Graham of Photo Walks TV, is going to discuss the latest third party apps for upgrading your smartphone photo and video capture. Looking forward to that, well, it is the start of the Olympics. I was recently in Paris, and every time I go on an overseas trip, I learn a thing or two. So I thought i'd share some of the ways that I prepared my phone for the overseas trip, because I get a lot of questions about this. There is a lot of confusion about how cell phones and smartphones and all of these things work in other countries, and I think I have some answers for you. So I'm going to give you my thoughts on all of this stuff, what works, what doesn't, what you should be downloading, and how you should prep your phone before you leave your house so you can stay connected and avoid those roaming charges. So Number one, download a flight alert app. Now you've heard me talk about this one before. It's called Flighty. If you're on the iPhone, that is the absolute best app. FLI ghty Flighty. Now that app is incredible it will give you up to the minute alerts on anything with your flight. It is not only a great source of information, it is so beautifully designed you will just want to sit there and play around with the app because it's just so beautiful, really really well done. Now it is a sort of a freemium model, so you can get you know, I think your first flight is free to track, and you can always track your flights. It just depends if you pay what type of updates you can get, like how much information you can get beyond just the basics. Now, if you're on Android, Flighty is not there unfortunately, but there is an app that I tested called App in the Air. App in the Air. It's very similar to Flighty. It's not as beautiful, the alerts aren't as up to minute, but they it's really good and I use this on my flight to Paris there and back and it was great. So Flighty for iOS, App in the Air for Android, and I always send you know, someone back home my information, you know, my flight information, just so they have it for a point of reference. That's what a good idea, and it's just good to have one of these apps to get all the updates so on your phone set up a widget to show the time back home. So very simple. At a clock widget to your phone's home screen so you can easily keep track of the time difference. That is a big deal for me because I don't know why. You know, I'm from New Jersey, I live in California. For some reason, all of these years later, I still cannot figure out the time zone situation. And it's it's not okay, I get it. If it's twelve o'clock here, I know it's three o'clock back East. But it's when those those other times, like eight am, nine am, well, it's really only eleven am. All right, it's fine, it's just eleven am. When someone says eleven am, I'm like, wait, is it two pm? Is it one pm? But my point is when you're overseas, it can get very confusing. Just out of widget that shows your time back home, your time in your current place.
Speaker 2: All good.
Speaker 1: Now, when it comes to streaming content, most of the streaming services these days let you download stuff to watch offline. I'm kind of strange. I do not watch the entertainment on the plane on the seatback.
Speaker 2: I just never do.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a rule of mine, and I've gone too long without watching, so now I can't start. Even though those systems have gotten a lot better. But I don't like how the movies are all, you know, I don't know what the quality is in the selection, So I like that my own stuff. So download stuff to watch offline. Netflix allows you to do this. YouTube allows you to do this.
Speaker 2: Some of them you have to be a paying member.
Speaker 1: Some of them, you know, you have to have a premium membership like it depends, so just check with your provider. So some of them will not let you offload or offline watch stuff if you have like the Basic plan or the ad supported plan. But this is getting better and better, so definitely download stuff to your phone. And then there's also something called smart downloads, so you can have the app automatically download a bunch of content to your phone without you even choosing what to watch, so you always have something to watch, even if your phone is an airplane mode. Currency converter, so you can ask things like Google or Siri to convert your currency. But I like an app called XE that is XE and it's just a simple way to convert the currency. Sometimes it's easy, you know, if you're in Europe, you know, with the Euros it's kind of almost one to one, but not really, but depends on the country you're going to. But this makes it a lot easier, and again you can add a widget to your homescreen to make that easier. When it comes to maps, again, offline maps are your friend. So the whole thing is when you're overseas, you're probably not going to be using as much data as you would here in the States because that data is going to be put out a premium, or it's a little bit slower, or you're looking for Wi Fi hotspots. You're avoiding data usehol together through cellular so you want to download as much as possible. And both Apple Maps and Google Maps support what's called offline maps. So when you search for the city that you're going to on Google Maps, you can tap offline. On Apple Maps, you can tap offline and it will download those maps to your phone so that you can navigate and search for things like streets even if you don't have a cellular connection. So again Apple Maps, Google Maps download the offline maps. On Google Maps, there's a little hack, so if you search for the city, let's say you're going to Paris, search for Paris, France. Put that in there, and then at the top type in okay maps. I don't know why it's okay maps. There's probably some you know, coding thing or you know, a techie thing to deal with that inside joke, but that will bring you immediately to the to the offline maps feature to download that. Now, this is the biggest question I get roaming and Wi Fi calling. So here's my advice when it comes to roaming. Number one, call your cellular provider. So call them. That's your first thing to do. Whoever your cellular provider is, call them and say, hey, what's the deal. I'm going to this country. What are my roaming options? Do I have roaming included? Do I have a certain amount of days that are free? Sometimes if you're on a premium plan, you might get like a day or two or three included and not pay that ten dollars a month. Some are sorry, ten dollars a day. Sometimes your provider might just charge you ten dollars a day to use your phone as you typically would.
Speaker 2: But it all depends on your plan.
Speaker 1: So call your provider see how many roaming days you have, or if you have some banked and use those. Now, if you don't want to roam, you don't want to pay anything, you can turn off roaming on your phone to avoid those charges, or you can just turn off your cellular altogether. But before you leave the country, definitely set up Wi Fi calling and texting. This way, you can use Wi Fi hotspots to keep in touch. Now, again, every cellular provider is a little bit different, but in general, whatever's included in your plan here will be included there. So let's say you can call anywhere in the US unlimited. When you get to Paris, you'd be able to call on Wi Fi calling anywhere back to the US unlimited, but they would still charge you for calls that are made to Paris phone numbers. Right, but most people are calling back home, so that should probably work. But again check. First thing to do just google roaming with your provider name Wi Fi calling and see what their deal is. And then of course you can get an eSIM. That's the easiest way to just bypass the roaming situation altogether. You can buy an eSIM right from an app. There are many apps that offer eSIMs. My favorite is Aralow. I've used it many times. It works great, but there are plenty of other apps out there that do work well, and the eSIM is a really easy way to do it, and you could do it right from your phone, and most of the major smartphones these days support the eSIM. If you have an older phone with maybe just a physical simcard slot, you may have to get a simcard mail to you, or when you get to the airport at that place, you can just buy a simcard there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: When it comes to translating, Google Translate, Apple Translate, they are both your friends. Apple Translate is pre installed on your iPhone. Google Translate works on both iOS and Android, so download that and again download the language pack for the country that you're visiting so you can get translations without an Internet connection. Again see the theme here you want to download stuff in advance. A couple other things let's see here. Google Lens is a great feature if you're trying to identify monuments and translations, so make sure you're familiar with how Google Lens works on your phone. AI is really helpful these days, so you can use AI assistance like Chat, GBT, Claude, copilot Guide, Geek, and also mind trip dot AI to give you access to travel recommendations and even itineraries. But again, double check anything that AI is serving you up because it's not always factual. It could be hallucinating some answers, so just be careful about that. Tap to pay very very important to set up tap to pay before you leave, because just like here in the US, I mean, cash is still important, but it is getting less important around the world. And so yes, I'm sure there's some countries where cash is more widely accepted than the tap to pay, but in general, in my experience, in the main populated areas of the world world, tap to pay is very popular. And so make sure you set up a mobile payment card on your phone in advance so that you can use tap to pay anywhere you are, and be sure that card does not have any foreign transaction fees. Just because you have a credit card or a debit card doesn't mean they don't charge you one percent. So for instance, my debit card actually charges me one percent on top of every transaction, which kind of adds up, and so that's not a card that I prefer to use when I am traveling internationally. So definitely set up tap to pay. You can do a lot with that. You can get very far. In fact, I don't even exchange money anymore at the cash exchange because my deal is I'll usually go get cash at a local ATM so I get the best exchange rate and I have some cash there if I need it. My last trip, I did not get any cash out whatsoever in the foreign country, and I was still able to get around. So those are some of my solutions for getting around. You can go to the website rich on Tech dot tv for more information about those coming up. The new AI selfie maker you have to try. It's free and your calls eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Pete Yorn turn in fifty today, So happy birthday, Pete Yorn.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: My wife said, how many times are you gonna sing that song today? And I said a lot. I just kept singing that song all morning long. And I'm looking up Pete on Twitter right now or I guess X and he's from New Jersey. I knew I liked him for a reason. There you go, so fellow Jersey. In eighty eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Uh, Frank and Sue from Bradbury, California write in, Hey, Rich, where does the temperature on the Apple Watch come from? Cooper Tino? That is a great question. Funny you ask that because my wife, my kid, and me.
Speaker 2: Were all in the car yesterday.
Speaker 1: We're all wearing Apple Watches, and my wife comments how hot it is outside, and she says, you know, whatever, the temperature was in her watch. And my kid in the backseat goes, well, mine says this, and I said, well, mine says this. They were all off by a degree. We're all in the same exact car, same Apple watch. I don't know where the temperature is coming from. So that's a great question.
Speaker 2: I do know.
Speaker 1: Apple bought a company called Dark Sky, which they now incorporate their weather magic into their weather and it's gotten a lot better. But that was kind of a messy, messy. Uh oh gosh, that was a messy purchase. Let me just make sure was it called dark Sky Apple? Yeah, dark Sky. Let's go to Mario in Riverside, California. Mario, you're on with rich.
Speaker 2: Are you there? Okay?
Speaker 1: I see, let's see. Okay, I hit the wrong button. Mario, you there? Nope, there you are? Okay, Now I locked you there?
Speaker 4: You go?
Speaker 2: Okay? Now can you hear me?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Well we're off.
Speaker 1: Great start here. I'm glad I know how to push buttons.
Speaker 2: They didn't.
Speaker 1: They never told me I had to know how to push buttons for the show. What can I help you with?
Speaker 3: Okay? So I have an iPhone Max fIF team and I took my daughter on her fifteenth birthday when to go see a concert. The question is how do I get that video? I tried to transfer it on too like a memory stick, and when they were going to try to play it, it's telling me it's not there's not the right format, or it's just not compatible like with the windowed media player.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome to the world of Apple. They are so fun with stuff like this. So they did make a change. I think it was a couple of years ago at this point where they started putting their photos. You know, it used to be the standard was a JPEG and videos were in uh, I guess I know some sort of move, but now they are changing that, and they're doing it for a reason because the new file formats are much more efficient, so they take up less space. But they pretty much play on Apple products very easily because Apple updated all their stuff, But all the other products out there may not play them. So the thing you can do is go into your settings on your iPhone. You go into settings and then camera and then there's something called formats and you'll notice right at the top it says high efficiency and then most compatible. So if you probably by default have high efficiency checked, and that is going to make those videos in a format that not every computer likes. So if you want to make them more compatible with everything, just switch that to most compatible. Now, that does not help you for the video you already have of your daughter, So there are many programs that can transform those videos. But I would just recommend downloading a very helpful app called VLS see VLC Media Player, and that will pretty much play any format you can throw at it. It's a very handy program to have on your computer, So just download that on your Windows computer, Mac computer, you're Android. I don't know if they have one for iPhone, but that will I do it for iOS, so that will play pretty much any format you throw at it.
Speaker 2: So those are the things to do.
Speaker 1: But in the future, the videos you take from here on out will will be in the most compatible format, which means every computer will be able to play them. So hope that helps. That is a tricky situation. Whenever I set up a new iPhone, it always wants to take pictures in this HIC format, which I end up having to It just doesn't work sometimes, like some programs just don't like that, and so I'll have to go in and convert those. Luckily, on the on the Mac computers, at least you can write click them and it will say to there's like a quick action where it says convert image and so so I can convert that image into a JPEG. But that's my preference because it's just JPEG is JA and I get it. It's not as efficient as the new format, but it's just so much more widely accepted. So great question, Mario, Thanks for calling in today. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we're gonna talk about cleaning up from this CrowdStrike incident. We've got our cybersecurity expert Steve Churchin, standing by and.
Speaker 2: Ready to chat. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Don't be shy, give me a call. We'll get you in the queue. We'll get you on the air. If you have a question about technology, we will be there for you the website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. We'll get back to the phone lines in just a moment. But you know, we're still kind of feeling the heat from this whole CrowdStrike incident that melted down half the Windows world last week, and we've learned some lessons I think, and here to talk about that. Steve Churchin, CISO of Zypro, a Semi Valley based cybersecurity solutions company. Steve, welcome to the show, Rich, Good morning, thanks for joining me. So let's talk about this incident. What's your main takeaway I guess from what happened last week with this Windows update that went bad. It wasn't really Windows fault though, well.
Speaker 5: It was, And if you've ever wondered what a cyber attack on our global infrastructure would look like. Just take a look at this cyber arc cyber sorry CrowdStrike incident. Reports say about eight and a half million Windows machines were affected. Well, this represents less than one percent of all devices running Windows. Unfortunately, these systems were some of the in the most mission critical sectors of our global economy in daily life. That's why the impact was so large across so many varying sectors and businesses, and even the consumer of the public felt it felt it the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially if you're on like Delta Airlines.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of a lot of people had issues with that, but but it took down so many systems. So that's what's what's concerning to me is that this was a company that was paid to protect these computers.
Speaker 2: People make mistakes. Humans make mistakes.
Speaker 1: Obviously they're going to look into their you know, their testing situation with their software updates before they go out. But can this happen again?
Speaker 5: Absolutely could happen again. And just think about your reliance on not just Microsoft and Windows, but your Apple iPhone, your Android devices, anything where there's a large segment of the population concentrated on a single technology or single provider, this can happen again.
Speaker 1: So how do you prevent What do you do? Do you diversify what you're using or what.
Speaker 5: Diversify is an easy answer, but that's easier said than done. If we look at the Windows market, for example, seventy five percent of every workstation out there is running a Microsoft Windows operating system. You look at the mobile phone market, seventy percent of all devices worldwide are running Android. And I don't know if you've gone through this before, but just trying to convince a Windows user, a lifelong Windows user, to use something different like a Mac can be a monumental feat. So we can say we need a diversifier technology, but I don't know how practical that really would be.
Speaker 1: Now, the interesting thing about this incident is that we didn't hear anything about data being lost or our data being shared or you know, leaked online or whatever because it wasn't a real cyber attack. So could that happen in the future, Like, what could there be an instant where something like this happens and our data is at risk?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? Looking at a company like CrowdStrike, they service over twenty four thousand enterprise customers. So if this were a cyber attack and somebody did get in there, the possibility that there's absolute possibility where they can excultrade data put customer information at risk. We saw it a couple of weeks ago with AT and T, the AT and T breach, where they said nearly all of their customer records have been compromised. So once they get in there, it's it's for free for all. If they've got access to the data, I can guarantee you they're going to take that data and try and monetize it the best they can. Putting all of us at risk.
Speaker 2: That is wild.
Speaker 1: What about Okay, so the home user, you know you talk about this layered approach to cybersecurity.
Speaker 2: What does that mean exactly?
Speaker 5: So doing the things that best practices dictates we do, for example, having antivirus, make sure your systems are all protected using a proper anti virus program.
Speaker 1: Before Before before we get to that, I want to I'm curious about your thought because I always ask the cybersecurity experts about this. Windows has that defender built in. Do you think people need something above and beyond that?
Speaker 5: I don't think so. For most users, Windows Defender Defender will be more than enough. I personally like Windows Defender, and I've actually removed all my anti virus from all my personal systems in relying on Windows Defender.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, so keep going. I like to hear that.
Speaker 5: So Windows Defender does a great Job's god, it's come a long way in the last few years to catch up with the rest of those antivirus markets. So it's got all of the features you would expect from a paid antivirus subscription. Before Windows Defender, I was actually using Kisperski, and I just got a notice from the company I was Kesperski from saying I can no longer renew Kispersky.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was banned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's joining the likes of TikTok and Russia and China and all this other stuff. We'll get to China's whole deal with this in a moment, but a continue your layered approach you were mentioning.
Speaker 5: So making sure you've got antivirus turned on and using it and not those free antiviruses. There's a big difference between free anti virus and a paint subscription or Windows Defender. So if you're going to use antivirus invest in a good one. Windows Defender is a good one. It comes with for free with the operating system. But there's others out there. There's also these misconceptions that it's going to slow down my computer, et cetera, it's going to provide more benefit than it is going to provide all of these other issues that people are worried about. I'm saying this tongue in cheek, but Windows updates. Making sure all of your updates are applied as quickly as possible. Now, unfortunately, the crowd strike incident was because of an update they had pushed out, which goes counter to what the advocacy is to install those updates. But still you've got to install those updates. The vendors are putting out those updates because they're detecting bugs and vulnerabilities in their software, which does updates help to patch, So install those updates. Make sure your antivirus is updated current, turned on not disabled. Make sure you're using a firewall. Windows has built in firewalls, make sure those are turned on. Those will help stop threats. Make sure using two factor authentication for everything. Two factor authentication is where you log in with a username and password and before you're granted access to a service or an app or something that you either get a text message or a prompt or some other way to verify that you are who you say you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very important.
Speaker 1: Most of the people that email me about getting hacked on Facebook or Instagram a first question I ask I say, hey, did you have two factor and they say no, And so that's really how they get in. It's just you give up that password and it's game over quickly. Before we go, I wanted to talk about the La Courts in Los Angeles. The courts had a I guess like some sort of ransomware attack at the same time as this CrowdStrike. So how are these major organizations and companies falling victim to stuff like this?
Speaker 5: Most of the time, majority of the time, it's through a phishing email. You'll get an email with a malicious link or an attachment as part of it. And if you especially if you send this target non technical staff like administrators or finance people hr, which are the likely targets for these types of emails, it's very easy to pull somebody into clicking a link which installs a malicious program on your system, and that allows the attackers to get their foot in the door into the network. It's it's crazy, and these emails are getting more and more sophisticated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my mom sent me one today and as she said, Hey, is this real or not? And I thought it was fake and it actually turned out to be real. It was like a notification from her bank about a charge that they thought was fraudulent. So, Steve, you you work with this stuff every day. You help protect companies, you know, from all this stuff. Do you just sit there and like do you see stuff that's new on a daily basis and say I can't believe this, Like these people are really just out to get everyone.
Speaker 5: I wish I could say I'm seeing new threats, and there are new threats not to say, but the old ones that have been around for a decade now are still working because we make it too easy for them. For example, what I just said about sending an email with a link in it, people are still falling for it. That's why it's such a lucrative method to compromise and introduce ransomware into it into a system. So we've got to be we've got to raise our own vigilance. So we've got to be more hyper aware of what's going on, what the reality of the world is today, and making sure that we're not trusting everything that gets sent to us that we're mis not trusting more than we are trusting, because they're praying on our naivety. They're praying on us being quick to react, They're praying on all kinds of human behavior that allows them to get in.
Speaker 1: All right, I think we're going to leave it there. Steve church In from Zypro dot com x y pro dot com cybersecurity solutions company. Steve always great to talk to you. I know I've interviewed you for KTLA. Just a wealth of information and I really do appreciate you joining me today.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Rich.
Speaker 2: Happy to do it all right.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we're going to take more of your calls at eight eight eight rich one on one plus I'll tell you the new feature from Meta that you have to try. I wasted a lot of my time yesterday doing this and you will too. You are listening to rich on tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you at triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show is Rich on tech dot TV. There you can get more information about what I talk about. If you go to the top. There's a little light bulb, so if you tap that, it will give you links to anything I mentioned on the show in real time. There's also contact. You can hit that if you want to send me an email. I will read some of those throughout the shows. Let's go to Diane in Pineland, Texas. I think I figured this out. I got to hit this twice today for some reason. Diane, you're on with Rich. That's my mom's name.
Speaker 2: Hey, Rich, mom has a good name. I agree.
Speaker 6: I have an iPhone thirteen promat okay, and it wants and picks to non iPhones even when I turn off the on message.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting at all at all. Okay.
Speaker 6: I have a brother and a friend both don't have iPhones, and I've confused rooster to keep scrolling.
Speaker 1: So sorry, Oh I don't hear the confused rooster. But I love that name. I love It's like it's such a character name. Confused Rooster. Hey, that's just confused rooster.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So number one, what I would do is it sounds like there is some sort of misconfiguration with your with your network settings. So on the iPhone, there is a way to reset those. Have you tried doing this?
Speaker 4: No, I have no wine.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you go into Settings and then General, if you scroll all the way down, it says transfer, transfer or reset phone. And it's a little scary because it makes it seem like it's gonna mess up everything, but it's not. But if you tap that and then you'll see something that says reset. And I don't want you to do this just yet. I want you to do your research before you actually do this, because there are some things you have to redo after you change your settings. But inside there you'll see an option that says reset network settings. And so if you reset those, that will bring everything back to sort of factory, which means it's gonna make sure that your cellular is connected right, it's gonna make sure your messages are setting right, it's gonna make sure your Wi Fi is all good, your Bluetooth and so what you will have to do if you decide to tap reset network settings is you will have to reconnect all of your Bluetooth devices and your Wi fis. So that just be aware of that now, I would probably recommend doing that. But here's the other thing you can do. Are you trying to send these messages in an existing text thread or are you starting a new one? Okay, so on iPhone sometimes it gets hung up on sending messages to non iPhone users in an existing thread if something ever went wrong, and so what I would do is delete that thread. You can swipe right to left on any thread inside your messages up will pop up a trash can in red. You can press delete, and then I would try typing composing a new message to this person and sending the photo. The other thing, obviously, before you do anything else, is just do a reset of your phone. You can actually ask Siri to reset your phone or restart your phone rather and so obviously restarting your phone can help. But those are the methods that I would do to fix that problem. Now, if you're looking at just sending pictures between iPhone and Android, I've talked about this before, but it's all going to get better come September because iPhone is finally getting what's called RCS messaging, which means you'll be able to send photos and videos to Android phones and vice versa. Just the way you send them to I Message recipients. So you can send large, large photos, large videos, and they will finally look the same that they should some other methods. If you're looking for some workarounds in the meantime, I always recommend using a third party app to send large files and photos and videos, something like a Telegram, something like a Facebook Messenger. You can even use Instagram Messenger. There are some apps as well, So WhatsApp obviously is a great app to send large photos and videos between different platforms. But there's also an app called local Send. And now I'm just kind of bringing this out more broadly for send exchanging photos and videos on iPhone and Android. A lot of this will be a moot point comes September, but right now it's still very valid. But there's a website called local send dot org and this is a free, open source, cross platform tool that lets you send files to nearby devices. And so if you install local send on your laptop and on your phone and they're on the same Wi Fi network, you'll be able to share those files fast and free, and they can be large size, and so that's really easy, and that's great. If let's say you've got a maccomputer and an iPhone at home and you want to exchange files, that's an easy way to do it. Now, if you don't want to download any software, there's a handy website called snap drop dot net snap drop dot net, and all you have to do is go to this website on both devices, and as long as you're on the same network, you can exchange files between those two devices with no software downloads. So it's a really easy way to share items across the network without downloading any software or really figuring out a lot, because you're just going to a website. So those are two really easy ways to exchange photos and videos, kind of like air drop, but air drop is proprietary between iPhones or between mac anything Apple, and so these are systems that work across various devices. And by the way, Android has their own their own version of air drop. They call it they just renamed it. It's now called what's it called now, quicksend our quick share, I think it's called and they just so that was actually Samsung's property, quick Share, and then Android kind of absorbed it and now it works across all androids. So the neat thing about quick share is that it works across all Android phones. So if you have Android to Android, always use quick Share because it's so simple and you can share large files nearby. If you haven't a Samsung phone, it actually takes it up a notch and it gives you a QR code that the other person can scan. Now, the only issue with all of this is that if you're in an area where you only have a cell signal and you're trying to share a big file, it does need to upload that file over the cell signal. So if it's not a very good signal, it's not going to be very good. Diane and Pineland, thanks so much for your call today. Appreciate that. Okay, I'm gonna waste a little bit of your time or you're gonna waste your own time once I tell you about this. I already see Bobo playing with it. But it's a new feature from Meta called imagine Me. So we've seen all these AI selfie generators out there, a lot of them required you to download an app. This is built in now to Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, and WhatsApp, and the way to access it is just all you have to do is chat and so imagine me as an AI image generator. It's available in beta and it makes any picture of you you want, doing anything you want in any style. So it's a self portrait and it's really really good. So all you have to do to access this and it's rolling out, so don't yell at me if you don't have access to access to it right away. It may say, hey, you don't have access just yet. But if you go into let's just say Instagram, and you go into your chat window and then you tap where it says ask Meta AI and then there's a little blue arrow to the right and that will take you into Meta AI. This is their version of Chat GPT. And then all you have to do is type imagine me as anything, so you can say astronaut, firefighter, whatever, and that will start the process. It will ask you to take three selfies and then from there on out you can imagine yourself as anything.
Speaker 2: It is so much fun.
Speaker 1: You can go to my Instagram at rich on Tech for those instructions. More rich on Tech come in your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich tomro here hanging out with you talking technology at trap rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one the website for the show rich on tech Dot TV. UH. You can also email there just hit contact, or if you want links to anything I mentioned, hit the light bulb there. I told you about Meta's new Imagine me as feature, and uh, we've lost everyone, the entire audience. Everyone is now playing with this feature on their phone and it's so much fun. I actually think this might be the best thing that Meta has ever come out with, because it's it's just so well done, and it's not perfect, believe me, it's AI selfies, but it's just so fun. If you want to see it, go to at rich on tech on Instagram. I've got the uh, the instructions on how to access it, but be warned, not everyone has access just yet. It's still rolling out to everyone, and if you do try it, you will waste at least a portion of your day. All right, let's go to We got an email here from Let's see here, Joe writes in I've received a concerning letter from Ticketmaster about a data breach through a third party cloud database.
Speaker 2: From April to May.
Speaker 1: They're offering twelve months of free credit monitoring, but I'm not sure what to do could I have caused this breach? What exactly is a cloud database? Should I take this seriously? Interestingly, Ticketmaster claims I have an account with them, which I don't recall creating. My credit has been locked with the three major credit bureaus for about six years due to a past incident with PayPal. What steps should I take to protect myself in this situation? You and many other people this Ticketmaster data security incident. All the companies when they have one of these data breaches, they play it down. They just put like this help page on their website that with this very like innocuous title like Ticketmaster data Security incident, Like, no, we got hacked and you know all of your information's now floating around on the way, So what happened? This is the actual thing you need to know. So a third party cloud database, So that means something they had stored with a third party vendor that vendor got hacked or breached, and that information has been stolen or leaked or taken, and so there's been no unauthorized activity after that.
Speaker 2: This is what Ticketmaster's saying. So what was in this database?
Speaker 1: That's what we always want to know, right, The database contains limited personal information of some customers who bought tickets to events in North America, US, Canada, Mexico, so that means they know that you went to Taylor Swift. This information includes email, phone number, encrypted credit card information, as well as some other personal information provided to us. So my thought on this is that I don't think you gave Ticketmaster your social security number. I'm not sure if they collect dates of birth, but the information that's out there is your email address and your phone number, and those are probably pretty good pieces of information to have. So that means they may target people with some sort of phishing email based on your email or phone numbers, so you could see a rise in spam or text because of that. Now, the encrypted credit card information, I'm not really worried about because with credit cards versus your actual bank account. Now, if it's your debit card, they say credit card, so that could include debit cards. I'm not really sure why they use the word credit card, but that could also be debit cards. So in that case it is troubling because that means you could see a charge on your credit card or your debit card because of this hack. Now they say they were encrypted, which means unless the third party or the hackers, you know, somehow unencrypt these and crack that encryption and then decode them. They may not have the full credit card information, but as far as data breaches go, this one is not as bad as a lot of them that we you've seen, like the AT and T one had everything. Every piece of information that you could have about yourself is in the AT and T hack, which is on the dark web as we speak. That's your name, that's your phone number, that's your data birth that's your your account numbers, and also your Social Security number.
Speaker 2: That was not done here.
Speaker 1: So should you take advantage of that free twelve twelvemonth identity monitoring service? That's up to you personally. I would not in this case because I'm not seeing the level of personal information that I'm concerned about. My email address, my phone number, it's out there. You can search for anyone's out there. It's all on the web. So the credit card number, again, if it's credit card, I'm not really that's more of a Chase problem, American Express problem.
Speaker 2: They will deal with those fraudulent charges.
Speaker 1: If it's your bank, Bank of America, Chase, you know, whatever bank you have, that's more. That's more of an issue because those charges will show up on your account if there is a farge of fraud in charge, like a you know, on your bank account, because debit cards take money directly from your accounts. So in that case, I would be a little concerned. But there's still not much you can do once this information's out there. It's out there, So I hope that answers your question a little bit, Joe. But as far as some of these other breaches, the Ticketmaster one feels ichy and I can't believe these companies still every single breach that we're seeing a majority of them are through these third party databases.
Speaker 2: And what does that mean.
Speaker 1: Well, all these big companies they use, they rely on other companies to help them do their work, and these other companies may not be as protected as say Ticketmaster, and so that's what happens when all these things go bad. Let's go to uh, let's go to Mark in Winetka. Okay, there we go, Mark, you're on.
Speaker 7: With R Yes, sir, I wanted to ask you about getting free. I'm just a casual user to do some editing software for photos and videos and interested in a download a downloader for YouTube. But you know, I was thinking of listening to all the phone questions you're answering. Do you know if there's anything that can replace the phone I loved most, which was the Yoda three. It had a dual sided screen on its phone. I see that there's something like the High Sense that has a even has a color e inc. I like it because it used very little energy. I go out on a long distance writing, so I run an app and if I run it on the e ink it hardly uses any power whatsoever. I do you have any suggestions there?
Speaker 1: Okay, well let's break down some of your questions. So first off, for the e phone, there is a phone that a lot of people are it's getting a lot of publicity right now or a lot of press. It's called the Books Palma Box, Palma p A l M A and this is basically the kindle of smartphone. So the screen is e inc and I've not gotten this personally, I do. I'm actually tempted to get one, but you know, it's it's kind of pricey for what it is.
Speaker 2: It is three hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: But like you said, it is an e ink display, which means the battery is gonna last, you know, forever on this thing. It's basically a mini kindle that runs Android, and so you can read on it, but you can also run actual Android apps on it. So again that's the books Palma Box Palma. That's the only one I know. There's been a lot of phones that experimented with these e ink displays, like on the backside, they've never come to a place where they're you know, super popular, and so they've they've never been very prevalent, Like we haven't seen a mainstream device with that feature. But this book's Palma is probably the most popular at this point. And I'll be honest, I want one. I don't know why I have a kindle. I've got many smartphones, as Bobo can attest to, but I this thing just seems fun, right. It's just like it's an e ink reader that also runs Android. So that's for that. When it comes to video editing, I will tell you my favorite apps and you can use them. Number one is free. It is called cap cut, and that is probably the number one app that every creator out there is using to edit video on their mobile phone. So it does come from TikTok. So there is a level of like ichiness there, but it's got every feature you could ever imagine, and it is fantastic. It is what I use a majority of the time to edit anything that is on my phone or on social media. It's completely free. There are obviously paid features inside of that, but you can completely avoid those and use that program for free to edit on your phone. It works for both iPhone and Android, and it's really really good. The other app that I like for editing is called Splice. Splic I'll be honest, I don't use it as much because cap Cut does pretty much everything I need. I think Splice has a much more simple and beautiful design. But again it's a freemium kind of level app, so you can do a couple of things on there for free, but at some point you may have to pay for some of the features that are on there. There are other apps as well. Apple has one called Clips. But if you search the app store, if you just you know, even if I search for cap cut, I'm sure I'll get like a million different video editors. Let's see you got cap cut. I mean, there's so many video editors that you can download, but I will tell you the one that I like. The most is the is the cap cut one and the splice there is I'm trying to remember the other one that's very popular.
Speaker 2: I can't think of it off the top of my head.
Speaker 1: But the other thing that everyone does and I just did this with the video if you look at the video, I posted a confessional today about my newfound love of the I don't know what they call them. It's like the it's like a Stanley cup but it has like a straw in it, and I just I never had one until today. Yeah, this is the one I'm using. Is called hydroflask, but Stanley is the other brand. But uh, if you notice everyone's doing that thing where it's like they put the captions on the screen. There's many many ways you can do it, but the the absolute best way is an app called Captions Go Figure and it's it's really good. Like I'm not kidding. You know, my name is spelled d E m U r O. Nine percent of the time if you're doing like a text to uh to you know, voice to text, it's gonna spell it d I m E r O. This one gets it and nails it every time. I don't know what kind of uh magic and witchcraft they have, you know, based this on, but their AI captions are just incredibly accurate. Now again, I paid nine ninety nine for the month. I know people that pay ten bucks a month for this. You can pay for the year. But between those three, uh, Mark, I think you're gonna find what you need to edit eight a eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Everything I mentioned on the website rich on tech dot TV will be back in a jiffy. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology my favorite thing to do.
Speaker 2: No, seriously, I mean, ask anyone. It's kind of you know.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say I'm like a doctor, but literally people come up to me, you know how you might see a doctor and say, hey, can you check this out? This is what people do to me all day long at work, play grocery store, no matter what. Hey, Rich, can you just take a look at this rule. I'm not kidding, I kid you not. I was at a rest stop between here in Vegas and guy comes up to me, and you know, him and his wife and they're like, hey, Rich, and the guy wants to ask me a question about something on his phone, and the wife literally was like pulling him, say, he doesn't want to deal with that right now, he's just trying to charge up his car.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it happens. I've done that to you before. It's it's fun. Yeah, I don't mind it.
Speaker 8: It's a challenge, but it was easy challenge. It was just about a phone. Remember when I was by my wife's phone. Yeah, about the sandsung between that and a flip. Now I feel bad. I'm not calling you no more.
Speaker 2: Text me, Okay, I'll do that. Text me all right, Let's.
Speaker 1: Go to uh, let's go to Nanette in Glendale, California and the that you're on with rich?
Speaker 9: Oh? Yes, how do I remove personal information from Google? Because it's unsafe? And my accounts were hacked. My accounts and devices were hacked three times that I know of, within the year. The worst one was last April and including my bank account online was hacked and I put ib password was hacked, Gmail password was tacked, credit card number was hacked, and my phone was hacked and so.
Speaker 10: To me.
Speaker 9: So I had to put a credit freeze on my three on the three credit bureaus, and then I got another letter saying that there was a notice of data breach that my name, social Security number, date data, birth and address were on public online from November twenty twenty three to December three, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, so I mean yet, so what I'm what I'm hearing is that you've got a lot of your personal information online and you don't want it there.
Speaker 9: Every time I move, my current address is on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we'll go. Here's the thing.
Speaker 9: It's against our privacy, right.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: Why not, Well, because they're getting it from databases that are public, and anytime you move or buy a house or anything that information is public, someone's got it in a courthouse somewhere. And what these companies do is they go there and they get it and they put it online. And it's not Google. They're just indexing the information. So Google's actually not putting it there. But with all that said, I understand what you're saying. It's it's it's not fun to have this stuff on there. It's not fun to do a search for yourself and see your home address, see your phone number, see your data birth. It's all out there though.
Speaker 9: And then yeah, I told the police when I reported this to the police, and I'm gonna I reported it to Federal Trade Commissions and I'm gonna report it to FBI. I told the police because so many people are following me, like always talking me and harassing me. They know what my bank is and anyone anything related to me. Their computers were also hacked, like they followed me everywhere.
Speaker 2: Why do you think this is happening.
Speaker 9: I don't know, because I don't know these people. And then they know where my bank is, and then they tried also to Fortunately, they also tried to hack into my and and I think they were able to sow I was Fortunately I was able to call the bank and block my account right away. And and the thing is also even though if my credit free, there's a credit free on credit Euros and every time they every time I have to apply for a loan, I have to unlock it temporarily and then and then the thing is you can't just unlock it without going through certain questions to authenticate your identity. And one of them is like they would ask like a previous address, and it's all there in Google. So all the hacker has to do is go to h h uh yeah, old addresses are there and my parents, and it's also not saying well, I have a suspicion there's a guy who had been stalking me before COVID, and so I tried to apply for a restraining order in the court. This was just a month or two weeks before COVID, and we went there several times and we ended up in a court agreement because we have our own jobs and we need it to be all right.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I'm running up against a break here, so I've got to put you on hold there for a second so I can get some good information out there. For anyone listening that does want to remove their information from Google. There are companies that can get some of your information down from these services, like a company like delete me in Cogni. Those are two of the main ones that can get some of your information off of these brokerage databases. The one that's free that you can do right now by yourself, very simply, and it's completely free. It's called Google Results about You. And so if you go there Google that information, sign up for that removal request form, you put the information in there. It searches for your name, your phone number, your address, whatever you want, it will find that information on the web and then it will say, hey, we found it on this website. Would you like us to take that information off of our search results? And you just say yes, and it will take that down within twenty four hours. Now, remember that's just taking down the search result. That's not taking down your information from the source website. If you want to do that, you have to go through manually, contact those data brokers, or use one of these solutions like a delete me that will take you down from those. Coming up, we're going to talk about Samsung's new products. Rich on Tech dot tv is the website. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone line for the show eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website rich on tech dot tv everything, and I mentioned I do link up on the website, so be sure to go there, hit the light bulb icon and that will take you to the live show notes. I know I just talked about a lot of removing your personal data from those websites and data brokers. I've got all that linked up there so you can see. Definitely start with that. Google one is free. It's called Results about You and it can take a lot of your personal information off the web. All right, Joining me now, Narav Gandhia, a founder of House of Tech, the website Impact dot hot dot tech.
Speaker 4: Rov Welcome, Hi, Rich, Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being here. So we're gonna talk about Samsung's latest devices. They came out, the whole bunch of them. They've got two foldable phones, they've got a new ultra watch plus a regular watch. Plus they're smart ring that a lot of people are talking about. But first, I just wanted you to share your story, your medical story, just wild and why you think, you know, people should really be interested in this, in this health monitoring because of it.
Speaker 2: So tell me what happened.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I've always been someone who generally, you know, took my health and granted never had anything major. And in twenty twenty I had probably one of the biggest things you can have a heart attack, literally the a few hours in to Black Priding. So just a little bit of stress related causes there. And ever since then, I've been on a journey to look at how you improve your health using technology. I know that people have looked at that before, but when I was kind of going through well how am I going to recover? I realized that technology gives you access to data. It's not for everybody, but if you like data and you're the type of person who loves to play games or little competitions with yourself where you're like, oh, I might have slept this way, this was my score. I need to get better, and that's the kind of person I am. This is the most transformative thing to helping you actually get better in a way that you're motivated to do so.
Speaker 1: And this heart attack happened at the young, very young age of thirty three, which makes it all that more unique and important for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think a lot of people say the heart attackles greatest thing that happened to him, and I completely concur with that. But I think when it happens later in your life versus happening at thirty three, when you're at middle not even middle, depending on your own trajectory, you it makes you really understand that this is this is a chance, this is a chance to rebuild. Since the heart attack, I've lost over one hundred pounds some of it medical related to some of it just because I'm way more active and exercising a lot more, not just because of the heart attack, but I'm also diabetic, and I have other small ailments that kind of all bound together and part of doing part of just being able to go well. I actually want to live another thirty forty years has been I don't want to wait and go to a doctor every two months and get a check to then go well in two months time. You know there's a delayed gratification there. I want to know that when I'm doing better than I and I made the decision to do better, whether it's my blood sugar and my weight, my pressure and my heart rate, my variability, or any of these metrics. I kind of want to know that the things I'm doing are having actions straight away, not wait for a doctor to tell.
Speaker 1: Me that is that is such a key aspect of health in the year twenty twenty four, And I one hundred percent agree, because you know, I go to the doctor once a year for a physical checkup. You meet with the doctor, and I love my guy, but like you know, it's quick and you get your results back, usually by a voicemail and that's it. And so this technology, these health monitoring systems, like what we're going to talk about with Samsung and the rings is it's giving you a media information and I know, the holy grail with you know, diabetics is the blood glucose through you know, a non evasive method, right like maybe through a watch, which we're not there just yet. Weight Yeah, I know a lot of people ready for that. But the heart stuff and all this other it does continue to build. So let's talk about your impressions of, you know, sort of what Samsung did with the ring and the Ultra Watch.
Speaker 2: What do you make of these things?
Speaker 4: Oh? I really like the ring. The ring is super interesting because I have I get swollen fingers a lot, and one of the best parts of the Galaxy ring designed for me is it's concave that bends inwards versus a traditional ring is either slightly outwards or flat. When it bends inwards, and you've got swollen fingers like I do a lot, it doesn't impact them anywhere near as much as the Oral ring, which I've been using for several years at this point, well since the Genrey came out. It's really fascinating that they launched Ring and Watch together and they want you to use both. I've been using the Galaxy Watch Altra for a couple of weeks and it's basically the most premium watch for Android users that there's ever kind of ever been. I've done things like looked at with things and stuff, but they're not true smart watches. This is a true smart watch if you can get past the orange band, which I'm not a fan of. You know, there's plenty of other band choices out. The Ring for me is the super interesting one. Like I know a lot of people who are traditionalists. They want that analog watch. They don't like these big displays on their wrists. But what they really want is still some of the heart benefits. That's where hybrid smart watches come in. But even they don't compare to any number of brands that are like that put style into the time piece, and it's really hard to do that in a smart watch.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 4: If you're one of those people where you want the health benefits, that's what the Ring does. And I there's only been a couple of days, but what really comes to mind is I like their energy scores. That gives you just a it gives you a number to go, combining your sleep, your activity, and all of those things together to go, this is how recovered and ready you are for the day. Well that what I've already found is my first couple of days have been in the sixties because I'm not sleeping well, well, okay, I need to make sure that tomorrow is one percent better. And if you just aim for one percent better every single day, it only takes one hundred days three and a half months to see real progress in your sleep. And with the Galaxy Ring, based on the sleep report that I've kind of been sharing, they are really really detailed. They're super detail. They give you everything from your sleep stages to sleep stages. It gives you your resting heart rate, your heart rate variability, which is really really important. Higher the number, the better there and it gives you this super and a key profile of what's happening with your body while you're asleep. Unlike other rings, what I really like is as well, is it a one of cost. There is no subscription right now.
Speaker 2: A charge. They're like a couple bucks a month, right.
Speaker 4: Think about six or seven dollars now. I have Lifetime because I was a Gen two user, but that doesn't I think, forgive that you're paying three hundred dollars and then you're paying six dollars a month. I used to be a woop band user and that meant paying three hundred dollars a year, and as soon as I stop paying for it, I lost access to a hardware and your other old data. So Samson can afford to do all of this. And I've been a massive fan of something Health for a while, specifically sleep. I think it's fascinating to sleep because everyone else gives you a lot of data. But Samson Health is super key because it really makes it simple enough for anyone to understand what a metric means, what factors can cause a lower than ideal score, and what kind of your goal should be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it is all presented in a very straightforward way. There's been some talk about, by the way, the battery for the ring lasts they say up to seven days. I think the battery is a champ on this thing, and it's it's been really good for me in my testing. Obviously, things can vary depending on how you use it. I do feel sometimes sometimes at night, I do feel a little stressed out wearing the ring because I feel like I'm being graded. So I think for some people that may come into effect. Maybe I'm unique in that because I do know a lot of people that wear these rings and they don't feel that way, but I personally do like I'm like, oh gosh, if I if I toss and turn, it's going to ruin my score. And so sometimes I'll like, I'll take the ring off when I sleep because I'm just worried about that. What what uh? What's your guidance on this versus? So I think if you.
Speaker 4: I think any losing doing anything, and I when I you know, I was fortunate in that I would medically forced to get on a treadmill and exercise. But for a good couple of months of my four months we had I was doing that at home and it became challenging and I lost motivation definitely. But you've got to be I think, to improve your health in any way, in using any metric, you have to be okay with the fact that life is a there's peaks and troughs, You're never perfect. Don't judge yourself because generally your worst enemy when it comes to losing weight or getting healthy in any way is your own perception of yourself and if you're if you perceive yourself a certain way, you'll never be happy with the small winds that you see. If you're sleep just went from saying sixty percent and your score is sixty and you had a day when it's a ninety, that means, you know, just take that for a win, because that's what it is, and recognize that that is a day when you're like, Okay, I'm really going to make the most of this day. Whereas if you push too hard when you're having days forties and fifties, that's a way of technology telling you your body needs to slow down and you need a break and you need a rest. When I've taken a nap during the day an hour or two, that can really help boost your overall energy feeling and help low yah right as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's things that we sort of know, and we know when we're pushing our bodies to the limit, and we know when we're tired, and we know when we should be you know, nourishing our mind and soul more, and sometimes we just ignore that. But these wearables are starting to give us the real hard data that tells us, hey, look, this is really happening, and you do need to take some action here, all right, Narav, Yeah, yeah, absolutely, like anything else in life.
Speaker 2: Right, We're gonna leave it there. Thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 1: The website for Narav is Impact dot hot dot tech. Hopefully you'll join me on the show again. Really appreciate you talking about these Samsung products. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one more rich on Tech right after.
Speaker 2: This, Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Rich Demiro here talking technology with you at eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four.
Speaker 2: One zero one. We've still got a lot of well one more guest.
Speaker 1: We've got Jefferson Graham talking about smartphone photo and video capture. I'm going to tell you about Apple Maps coming too the web.
Speaker 2: Oh there's so much.
Speaker 1: Let's get to Elizabeth and Rancho Mirage. Elizabeth, thanks for the patience. I know you've been on hold for a while. Welcome to the.
Speaker 10: Show, Hi, Rich, Thank you. I'm really excited to connect with you. I love speaking with intelligent people because I learned things and that's what I want to do today.
Speaker 2: Well, why are you calling me?
Speaker 10: Sure? Listen. I haven't had television for like forty years, so my computer's kind of my lifeline. And I don't have a cell phone, mostly for economical reasons, so the sky is not the limit. But I try to find a happy medium and size and weight and all these things. I have a couple things for a laptop that are deal killers, like I cannot my brain just will not adapt to a numeric keypad next to my regular keyboard. And everything seems to be touch screen. And yet I read things that say touch screens never went over well, but that seems to be the wave of the future. And I like my uses. I'm disabled. I'll be seventy six before the end of the year, but I still have a great brain, and so I really I'm very active online and I want to be able to do the things I want to do with comfort. And I do spend some time in bed so that using my hands to the left, if you will, with the numeric pad there, my brain just will not adjust. I keep mistyping and it just makes me crazy. And I looked and looked and did some research, went into costco, spend a couple of hours, made charts and process of elimination for this one, no one, And I originally said, I know. Usually the first thing you asked is what's your price point?
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 10: So I was looking between four or five hundred dollars, which is still a lot of money for me. However, when I started looking at Costco, and I really want to buy from Costco because they have the protection and the tech support, and Costco is always really great with whom to deal. Absolutely, yeah, And so when they have one hundred and fifty off, one hundred off, two hundred off, it's like I can kind of inch my price point up because I'm going to get like four hundred dollars worth more of value for maybe spending two hundred more.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's the way Costco they always They always give you a little extra for the same money you might pay at a at a big box store.
Speaker 2: So, right, and how can I help?
Speaker 10: Well, you can probably tell you know, I've done lots of research, but search engines on websites are for stone, because you know, I don't want to touch screen unless you can tell me something about touch screens, of which I'm unaware. I like a conventional traditional Now I read about mechanical keyboards and It's like, I just can't figure that one out quite.
Speaker 1: So are you looking for a Mac or a PC? What about a tablet? What about an iPad?
Speaker 10: I have a tablet. It's really kind of small for me. You know, it's convenient to sit at the throne and watch YouTube.
Speaker 2: But that's about it. I think the best computer for you to get would be the MacBook Air.
Speaker 1: I really do, and I can't afford it. Well, okay, so there that is tough. There is a MacBook Air deal that has been going around and it's gotten Actually it was down really really cheap through best Buy for a while, but you can get a refurbished one. But really, the MacBook Air that you want is one version, which is the minimum I would get for that device, and I've seen it as cheap as I think six fifty. There's actually a renewed one at best Buy it sound clearance. It looks like it's just under six hundred bucks. That's that's a refurbished model. But I know you want to buy at cost, go so if you can't, look if you can't afford that, which I totally understand it. But the thing is you're going to spend five hundred on a Windows computer, and I'm not sure it's going to last you the same amount of time as the seven hundred you spend on the on the MacBook Air.
Speaker 10: So now I had bumped myself up to six forty nine, which was either one hundred and fifty or two hundred off at Costco. But then I was finding features that interfered with You know, I just have deal breakers and one as the numeric keypad.
Speaker 1: And I'd go with the I'd go with the MacBook Air. Walmart's got it for six hundred and forty nine dollars if you can afford that. I think that that's going to last you a couple I think it's going to be no fuss. I think it's going to be simple.
Speaker 2: I know it. You know, do you have a computer currently or no?
Speaker 10: Yeah, but I have a laptop and the Chromebook and they've posted under hash this care for most of this year with the fan went out on the laptop.
Speaker 1: And see that's what I'm saying, all these issues and I've had MacBooks for years. I'm not kidding when I tell you, Elizabeth that I gave my dad. I always give someone else in my family my laptop when I'm done with it, and my dad is using my laptop.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: Last I checked, I think it was eleven years old, so and it's still working just fine. And so you know, the software is not supported anymore, which is a problem for security. But my point is, I think I think this Apple write this down, Apple MacBook Air, the M one. Walmart's got it for six forty nine. If you watch the sales over the next month, you may be able to get that for five ninety nine because a lot of these retailers have been having competitive back to school sales. I think that's gonna be your best bet. It's gonna be a great computer. It's gonna do all the stuff you need. It's gonna be simple. If you don't want that, you know there are other devices. Wirecutter keeps a list of the best laptops under five hundred dollars. I would not get a Chromebook because I just don't think those are going to be that good. But the uh their top is the Acer Aspire three, which you know is going to be decent, but it does have a touch screen, which I know you don't want. So I would check out those that list as well. But I think this this MacBook M one. It's a little bit old, but if you can steer yourself towards that, I think that's gonna be a great, great solution for you. Thanks for the call, Elizabeth and Rancho Mirage. Hope you're staying cool out there. I know it gets pretty warm during the summer. Eighty eight Rich one on one rich on tech dot TV. Welcome back to Rich Tech Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone line is eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show Rich on tech dot TV. There you can see the segments I do for television. You can get more about the tech updates I mentioned on TV. My newsletter is there. Sign up for it.
Speaker 2: It is free.
Speaker 1: Today's newsletter talks all about tracking devices. Plus it's just packed with all kinds of good information, kind of like the stuff I share here the podcast. If you want to sign up for that, you can also contact me through the website. Just hit contact and the light bulb will bring you to the live show notes. So it's all there on the website Rich on tech dot TV. Coming up this hour, Jefferson Graham friend of the show from Photo Walks TV got something he's given away. Actually he's going to talk about that, plus some ways to upgrade your smartphone photo and video capture. If you get an email from the Social Security Administration, it is legitimate most likely. I say most likely because yes, they have sent out emails to people notifying them of some important account changes. But of course scammers will capitalize on this, so be very careful. This is for anyone who signed up for a Social Security online account before September eighteenth, twenty twenty one. You need to transition away from the mysocial security login to what's called login dot gov credentials. So if you get an email that says, hey, the way you log in is changing, yes it is real. This is to align the log in with federal authentication standards. So basically they're upgrading the security of this. And the way to do it is you go to your account that you will already have you log in and it will say, hey, we need to upgrade you to the login dot gov credentials. And I'm not sure what that process looks like what you have to do to sign up with the new log in, but that's what the process is like, do not click any links in any email saying hey, let's upgrade your account.
Speaker 2: Do not do that.
Speaker 1: Go to the website itself. It's SSA. Dot gov is the website. If you have a log in, you can log in there and it will then proceed to show you how to change your log into the new, upgraded one. So if you signed up in the last three years or so, you're fine, But anytime before September eighteenth, twenty twenty one, you will need to transition to this new what's called login dot gov. You know, obviously social security is a I'm sure there's many many scams floating around about social security, but this email is not one of them. Just be careful. Though, Apple Maps is launching on the web. You can now look at Apple Maps on the web. It is at beta dot maps dot Apple dot com. You can use it on Windows computers. You can use it on Mac computers. You can use it on the iPad. You cannot use it on Android. If you try to go to that website from an Android phone, it will say sorry, not support it. That sounds like a typical Apple move. I'm not sure why they don't support it on Android. Well, I kind of know why, but it's kind of that. I mean, look, Apple Maps launched ten years ago to basically one criticism. Nobody thought it was good, including Apple. They just kind of put it out there and it was just like, Okay, we got this, and it's just they wanted to make this thing, but they just didn't do it very well. Now it's actually quite good. I still don't rely on it as I would Apple Google Maps, but it's beautiful. It's got a lot of information. I think it looks better than Apple map or let me start over here.
Speaker 2: I keep switching these things.
Speaker 1: I think that Apple mapps looks more beautiful than Google Maps. I think Google Maps has better information, better traffic information, better routing information, more points of interest, more data. But Apple maps is still beautiful. It does the trick I think for walking directions, it's really good. They've got guides, you can search pretty much. The website lets you do a lot of the things you could do on the phone. Again, this is beta, and beta, by the way, is code for we're not sure if this works one hundred percent, but we're putting it out there, and so we just put that beta name on it, so if anything goes wrong, don't blame us. It's beta. That's pretty much shit. Can you imagine if marriages were beta? Hey, this is just in beta. You know. If something goes wrong, you know, Look, it's in beta. I can't help it, you know, it's just it's in beta. Tech companies love beta because it protects them if anything goes wrong.
Speaker 2: It's like, sorry, this is beta. We warned you.
Speaker 1: So anyway, applemaps beta dot maps dot Apple dot com if you want to check it out.
Speaker 2: It is pretty Let's go to Jim in Portland, Oregon. Jim, Welcome to the show, all rich, good to talk to you. Good to talk to you.
Speaker 6: I have a two full question for you. I don't know if it's the phone or the phone company, so I will tell you that I am blind. I have a fifteen Pro iPhone fifteen Pro and there are times, especially when I'm outdoors, going places or doing things, that I use a service where someone else can get note of my GPS and communicate with me via video. Before I moved to Portland, I never had any issues whatsoever. And here over the past few months, I've had the issues of connect things dropping all the time, videos freezing, audio, freezing connections, just dropping with especially the service or another one. I'm wondering number one, if it is my phone, although it's a fifteen pro, so I don't know what it would have been. I don't have any other issues with the phone itself, especially on Wi Fi. And number two. People have said maybe it's time to switch phone companies, which I've been with AT and T for Josh since at least two thousand and nine. But I just noticed that the signal here is less than what I remember where I lived before, and now that I am looking at switching phone companies if I need to what so I need to look for what are some good things? And is it better to go with the big guys or with one of the smaller people that borrow satellites or borrow from the phone company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good question.
Speaker 1: So I think Number one, you're in the Pacific Northwest, which is that was primarily a T Mobile area back in the day because that's where T Mobile was headquartered, I believe, just out Seattle, just out side Seattle. So yeah, and that's the thing I mean, look, with all of these companies, it really depends on where you are where you're going.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: In general, I would say if we're just doing like broad general kind of like characteristics of these companies. I would say that Verizon is really good in like rural areas because they had very strong service in a lot of places. I think that T Mobile was very strong in city centers, and I think AT and T is kind of like in the middle. They're just pretty much good everywhere, but maybe not the best in rural maybe not the best in city centers, depending on how much you know, uh cellular traffic and things are going on. So but again, all of this is highly localized to the city and area that you're in. So what I tell people is find a a cell company that works where you work and where you live, and of course you know where you're doing things. So for instance, uh, here in Los Angeles, if you live in the hills any to any kind of mountain area, you know, there's only certain providers that work up there, and people that live in those neighborhoods tell each other like, hey, you know, Sprint works here back when Sprint was a thing, you know, or T Mobile, right, T Mobile works in this neighborhood, So people gravitate towards those those services. So there is an FCC map that you can look at. That's not it's not really kept up anymore, but you might be able to get some information on there if you go to FCC dot gov slash Broadband Data. Oukla is another one that keeps some maps there. Oh ok La, you can look up there. They're testing maps as well for mobile, and then there's one called root Metrics. They have it and then sell mapp or. I know I said those really fast, but I'll link them up on the website. But really, what I think you need to do is just talk to some people that are in the area and say, hey, what works best here? And it may may be in your case that AT and T is not the best. Maybe T Mobile is the best. To answer the second part of your question, the mv and os versus the main company, So in general, the mv and os they rent the service from the main company. So there's only really I think there's a fourth network at this point. I think Dish Network is building some sort of network here in America as well, but I don't think it's ready in like a big way just yet. But AT and T, Mobile and Verizon are the ones that operate the main networks. All the other companies kind of rent the space from them for the mv and o's, and I think really what the differentiator there is that, of course the companies own customers. Their first party customers are always going to have priority on the network.
Speaker 2: I think the way the mv and.
Speaker 1: O's prioritize is really with their customer service. So I think you're probably going to get the best service and signal from the first party, and I think the third party, you're going to get the best customer service because that's what they specialize, gotcha. So those are all kind of the ways, but realistically, like where I work in the building I work in versus you know, here in the studio versus my TV studio, completely different. I mean, you know, just the way that things work in the different buildings that people work in. It could be the makeup of the building, it could be your house. It's really really unique to kind of like where you go the most.
Speaker 6: And is there any kind of test to just make sure that there's nothing wrong with my phone for things like dropping connections or.
Speaker 1: You could do you have an Apple store in Portland? Yeah, I would take it there and ask them. I don't think there's a problem and the only think. So you know, now, I will say this. I will say, in my experience, the Samsung devices have a they pull in a much stronger signal than the Apple devices. I don't know why that is, but that's just what I've noticed, because I can be in my driveway at my house and my Samsung works perfectly and the Apple does not work as well. Yeah, and I've noticed in different places where the signal is kind of on the fringe, the Samsung does pull in a better signal a lot of the time. So but with that said, I mean many many people use iPhones and believe me, throwing it a signal that's just fine. But I would take it to the Apple store see if you can get a diagnostic run on it and just say, hey, look, you know, I'm having some trouble.
Speaker 2: And we had a.
Speaker 1: Caller earlier in the show and there was something that I mentioned to them. You can do a network settings.
Speaker 2: Reset, so I was afraid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, it's it's really not that big of a deal. It's it's just resetting everything. It's just kind of like, you know, making sure everything's kind of factory reset, and then it starts over. If you want you can try that on your own gym and see if that helps. Good question. Got to have good cellular service. That is what we live and die by these days. So make sure you've got good service where you are. Check that signal, Ask friends do those speed tests. You are listening to Rich on tech. Welcome back to rich Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. So I just wanted to continue on the cell phone signals because I know this's a big deal for a lot of people. They want to know what's best in their area. And I mentioned a few things off the top of my head, but I did some more research in the break and found the things that I wanted to mention, and so I'll go over those real quick, just so you have them. And I think these are pretty handy resources. So the first is root Metricsroot Metrics, and they do what's called a root score report, and so I looked up Portland, Oregon, which is where our caller was from, and it does rank the three networks based on how good they are overall. But then it also tells you overall performance, network reliability, accessibility, the speed, data performance, call performance, text performance, and video performance. And I think actually it's interesting. The carrier that he mentioned he was having problems with the video performance is not good according to this. So that's one of them root metrics, let's see. The other one is FCC National Broadband Map. I mentioned FCC had gotten rid of their old map down they have a new one so you can actually type in your address and it will tell you what signal other people have found there and which one is the best. So if I type in an address here, let's see, it will come up with that address and then you can actually see what the what other people have come up with with their tests. And they just come out with the new app as well to help you test your signal in different places, whether it's fixed broadband or mobile broadband. But that's another way of doing it, and it even says environment. You can choose from outdoor, indoor, in the vehicle. I mean, it's really pretty thorough. So again that's broadbandmap dot FCC dot gov. Open Signal is also another one of these companies that a lot of the big companies kind of you know, they get the information from them, so they hire them to come up with the data. But you can download their app on Google Play or on the app store and you can check the signal in your area as well coverage information. So that is open Signal and you can download that app on iOS or Android again Open Signal. And then finally the other one is a CoverageMap dot com, so CoverageMap dot com. I don't know where they get their information from. It may be crowdsourced. But again you can type in information or a street address in here. I'm just typing in one real quick. Let me just get this in here and so you can see what the let's see, how do you do zip code?
Speaker 2: Do you know how tough it is to type all you're talking on the radio. It's not easy.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yes, you type in the zip code and then it will tell you about the coverage in that zip code, and again it gives it from you know, the coverage data, speeds and reliability, and you can also check the coverage as well. Oh yeah, crowdsourced speed test map and also signal strength data from the FCC. So again a couple great resources there. Jim in Portland, thanks for the question. I will put this all on the website. Rich on tech dot tv. Hit the light bulb and then you should find the information there.
Speaker 2: So this was an.
Speaker 1: Interesting story this week. The cybersecurity firm that trains employees on how not to fall for phishing scams, well they fell for their own scam. The company is no before. We've actually had guests on this show from this company. They're not a bad company, it's just they fell for a trick like a lot of people do. They hired a remote software engineer who turned out to be a North Korean hacker. He used to stolen US identity and an ai an ai image that he generated of himself. And the way they figure this out was when they shipped them the company issued laptop. He started downloading malicious software on the laptop and they're like, wait a second, something's not right here. So they're lesson learned is if you're a company and you're hiring remote employees, you better be careful because people can fake a lot of information these days. And so you don't want to be taken in that because he didn't do any real damage, they said, but you know, could be bad if he gets in on a company. Open Ai unveiled a new gosh watch out Google. They've got search GPT, so they're applying what they learned from open Ai with chat GBT, but now it's search. So this is a new AI search feature being tested. It combines real time web information with their AI models, so if you ask a question, you get links to relevant resources, but you also get the answer as well. Really really interesting. Check this out search GPT. This is from the same folks who made chat GBT and it looks pretty slick. Now you can't get access. You have to join a wait list, but this this could be game changing if it works. Again, they've got that beta slapped on it, so it means if it doesn't work, you know, hey, don't blame us. Rich On Tech dot tv is the website for links to anything I mentioned here in.
Speaker 2: The news and notes. Coming up, we're gonna talk to Jefferson Graham.
Speaker 1: He's gonna tell you how to elevate your photos and videos taken on a smartphone. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology. Joining me now is Jefferson Graham. I think you take the award for being on the show the most at this point. Jefferson Gram of Photo Walks photowalkstv dot com is his website. It is a beautiful looking website. If I do say so myself. Jefferson, Uh oh, I don't hear you where there you are?
Speaker 11: Yeah, thanks to your inspiration, Rich because you were fiddling around with yours. You kept telling me about all these things he could do and I didn't know about them, so I decided to follow in your footsteps.
Speaker 2: Well, I love it.
Speaker 1: And Jefferson also does a newsletter as well, and every week we are literally chatting on text about like what we're doing with the newsletter and how we can like hack things make them better, you know, just always trying to elevate it. So Jefferson Graham travels the world trying to take better pictures and videos on a smartphone, and so he's got a lot of tips and tricks. But this week you're talking about using third party apps. So kind of upping the ante by not just using what's built into the iPhone, the Pixel or the Samsung, but by downloading a third party app.
Speaker 2: What's the advantage of that?
Speaker 11: Okay, So there's a bunch of apps that have come out recently. The video apps that are native on the Galaxy, iPhone and Pixel are wonderful. They're easy. You open them up, you compose your image, you click record, and that's it. All good, but totally all automatic, and there's a few things that would be of interest to people. The three apps, by the way, are black Man Camera app, Final Cut Camera from Apple, and Keno. Those are the three. Final Cut and black Magic are free, Keynote Keno is ten dollars. The three key things is if you go to the next level and you plug in a microphone, which is like really easy to do and a lot of people like to do it, you have no audiometers in the native apps on the phone. So these apps, I'll give you audiometers and they let you know that you actually have sound. I don't know if you've ever done it, but I certainly have done an interview with somebody and at the end there was nothing there.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course I've forgotten to turn on. You know, I've been doing TV for a long time. I've had every single problem you could ever imagine in your lifetime. We've experienced it. But yes, the little levels are very very smart to have.
Speaker 11: So there's that one, and then there's recording to an SD card. Everybody. Okay, So this week's episode of Photo Woks TV, I'm on a hot air balloon in Temecula and I was on with three other people and one of the women I was on right before we stepped on the blue and she got a message saying you can't take any pictures because you're out of room. She had an old I phone with two hundred fifty six gigs and I said, you start the leading like Matt, start the leading like man. This is priceless up here. So on the black Magic app and the Final Cut app and Kenot you can record to an SD card and I'm sorry, you could record to an SD card on the Keno and black Magic on Final Cut to an SSD drive which is one hundred dollars drive, which is a lot larger. But the fact is you can do this which you can't do on the native apps, and save yourself from a lot of potential paint.
Speaker 1: You reminded me that I downloaded that Keno app from the first day that it was available. I paid the ten dollars. It's actually from the guys who created that Halied app. I think, yeah, which is like a really nice, you know, pretty photo app, and this is kind of their version with video. My photographer Luis you've met, he actually uses some random app that he found on Google Play sorry, on the app Store that he uses to record all of our TV stories and I actually need to ping him to find out what the name is.
Speaker 2: It's so random.
Speaker 1: It's just like something he found because he tested a bunch, but it kind of does the things he wants, so he likes them. So what do you find? What's the use case? Why would you know? I guess you know? Besides the meters? Do these things do? They take the same quality video, but it could be better video because you can tweak it. You can change your lighting, you can change your white balance, you could adjust things.
Speaker 2: Time laps.
Speaker 11: I'm a time lapse freak. I love time laps, fast moving videos, clouds flying through the skies, shadows going up and down over buildings. If you do a time lapse in the Apple app, it's totally automatic. You can record for an hour, two hours, three hours, one day, two days, three days, doesn't matter. Your video will always be thirty seconds long because Apple doesn't want you to have a longer video than thirty seconds. So with the Black Badge app, you can adjust and record as long as you want to and get way better looking time laps videos. I also use a time laps video app called Relapse, which is also terrific, but it'll cost you fifteen bucks. Black Magic app is free, so.
Speaker 1: Black Magic for iPhone and Android if you want to kind of unlock some more features. Why are they giving this to us for free?
Speaker 11: Black Magic has an interesting business mode that they also have Da Vinci Da Vinci Resolved software, which is editing software, and that's also free. I guess they just want to get you into the system and hopefully that one day you will buy a big camera from them. Is that a good segue for me?
Speaker 1: I was just going to say, wait a second, I just looked at the link you sent me. You're giving away a black Magic camera. Tell me about that.
Speaker 11: Yes, doing a contest with black Magic. We just launched it today. They want to encourage people to use the app. So go make a short little video with the app, submit it and you could win a twenty six hundred dollars camera from black Magic. You'll also every person who enters will get an ebook for me on the art of shooting video of a photo walk.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, So go to the website photowalkstv dot com if you want to enter for that. So Jefferson what are people asking you? You know, you do this newsletter, You're always taking pictures with the iPhone and the Android. You always carry around the iPhone and the Samsung for sure, So what do people ask you usually like about this stuff?
Speaker 11: Everything? The guy today said, fine, I'll make the video, but I don't know how to edit it. Will you tell me how to edit? And I said, well, that's kind of a that's a lot to go through on a live stream. So I'm going to do a newsletter edition on Tuesday with editing tips. The big question you get it as well all summer long is should I hold onto my phone now or should I? Should I wait till September? And then when September comes is should I buy the new phone? And that seems to be the number one question. It used to be what kind of camera to buy? But that that has gone away.
Speaker 1: Well, so what's your answer for the cause? I get that a lot. You know, people say should I wait till the iPhone sixteen comes out? And it's like, well, I don't know about you, but what do you think they're really going to change between the fifteen and the sixteen?
Speaker 2: The fifteen is pretty darn good.
Speaker 11: That's fine, but it's July twenty seventh today, and you close your eyes, you wake up, two months will have gone by, and they'll be the fastest, most powerful, finnest, et cetera iPhone that's ever been created. And there could be some features on there that you want, and even if you don't, the iPhone fifteen will be one hundred dollars less.
Speaker 1: I always say, too, there's a there's like a ticking clock because it's like a countdown. So if you're going to buy the phone, buy it on day one because it's only it's only new for one year, three hundred and sixty five days, So why not get the most out of it? Like, if you're buying it today, you're talking, you know, you're only getting two months of newness.
Speaker 11: I don't know, It's this weird thing I have in my head. I would definitely definitely hold on to it. The other question is your pictures are great? What app are you using to take the pictures with? And on that one, I'm using the native apps. The native apps are fine. The Apple Camera app and the Samsung Camera app a great.
Speaker 1: Now, tell me between the iPhone, the Samsung and the Pixel, what's your preference what do you think like the kind of the highs and lows of each ar iPhone.
Speaker 11: For the first of all, I think the camera equality is great, and the whole system, the ecosystem Apple system. I'm talking to you on a MacBook and I do air drop all day long, and when I transfer stuff from the Galaxy is just not as seamless. I really like the pixel, I really like it a lot. I like the ease of use of the pixel. But they do stuff to the pictures, they juice up the colors, and I'm not really a fan of that. And I don't see a lot of tools in there to make changes. But on the iPhone, I could. I can change things around, I could shoot and raw, I can shoot in you know, all sorts of things. So I am an iPhone free have been since two thousand and seven when it first came out.
Speaker 1: Now, what about the idea of taking a camera on a trip. A lot of people still think if they go on a big international trip, they need to take a big international camera. Is that still the case or can people get by with their smartphone.
Speaker 11: I have been in Japan, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Mexico with just an iPhone and I did that on purpose, I really for my show because I'm doing everything on the iPhone. Did I miss having a big camera? No, I didn't. One place I want to have a big camera, But I didn't miss it because you wake up in the morning, you leave, you're out all day long. Who wants to carry around camera here? It's just a pain. And if you're in good light, which you're gonna be when you're out and about all day long traveling, you're in great shape with your smartphone. Nighttime is not as great. It's gotten it's getting better. But for the mid ninety five percent of all the shots that any traveler wants to do, they're going to get it done on their smartphone.
Speaker 2: And how many of the photos that you post are you editing? All of them?
Speaker 11: Everyone?
Speaker 2: Every one of them?
Speaker 11: If I post it? Yeah, every every photo that I post is that this.
Speaker 2: Is what with? How like? What are you doing like the one tap edit or you actually?
Speaker 11: First of all, I don't post thousands of pictures. I post select selected photos and I start with Apple Photos is my go to app. Then I go to light Room Mobile, and then I've been using Luminar in Radiant or two other apps that I also use but pretty much eighty percent of the time the Apple app.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, well that's more than I do. And have you played with the AI selfies yet?
Speaker 2: On Meta? Have you made your own?
Speaker 11: Well, first of all, I didn't get the invitation, so it didn't work for me. As you know, these things roll out. Anybody who reads my newsletter knows that I got really inspired, thanks to mister DeMuro here, to start making cartoon images of myself with all these different apps based on what he was what rich what you were showing with the galaxy that you picked up in Paris, And I thought most of them were terrible. They looked at it on you, but they turned me into Jason Bateman and all sorts of different actors. But I really like what you've been showing from the meta. I don't have those tools yet, but I definitely will try it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's trained on billions of photos that people have uploaded to Facebook over the year, so I'm sure they have a lot of good data to train their AI.
Speaker 2: We're going to leave it there.
Speaker 1: The website for Jefferson Graham is photo walkstv dot com. Check out the black Magic Video contest he's running to win a twenty six hundred dollars camera. That's pretty wild, Jefferson, thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 11: Thanks rich coming up.
Speaker 2: Your favorite segment, the Feedback.
Speaker 1: We're going to get into some of the emails you've sent me throughout the week and gets pretty gnarly in there.
Speaker 2: We'll be back after this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here closing out another show. If you can believe it, Episode eighty two of the rich On Tech Radio Show. Two stories I wanted to mention before we get to the feedbag. First off, a warning, this was really wild. CNBC tells the story of this software executive who wired four hundred thousand dollars to the wrong person while trying to buy a home. And the way this happened was basically, you know, when you're trying to buy a home, there's all these emails back and forth, and you're always wiring these payments for different things. Well, it turns out these cyber criminals intercept the email from let's say a title company or whoever, and then they write you back and say, Okay, here's all the information for the transfer. And you don't think anything of it because it looks like a legitimate email, but now you just transferred your life savings to some scam artist. Wire fraud in real estate has gone from nine million dollars in losses in twenty fifteen to four hundred and forty six million and twenty twenty two. The person that this happened to spent six months trying to recover these funds. They went to the FBI, they went to their bank, and it was only after CNBC questioned the bank Chase that they got all of their money back. But the main thing the banks say is to be wary of last minute changes to payment instructions and always, always, always verify wire recipients. So if you get an email you're in the middle of buying a house and they say, okay, time to wire this money, just call your contact and make sure that the information is right. That is a scary one. I remember when we were buying the house. It seemed like every day we had to wire money to someone, and it was like, you know, a little bit here, a little bit there, title company this that, and like it's just a bunch of random things and you're just wiring this money out and so yeah, things can go wrong, and I see how scam artists can really capitalize on that. And I've been complaining about the Sonos app, and Soos CEO Patrick Spence has listened and wrote a blog post that says, yes, we know there are issues. They acknowledge not just me, but for everyone significant problems with the new app that they released on May seventh. Fixing the app is their top priority. They've been doing bi weekly software updates. They say a lot of customers have a better experience, but it's not over, and they say that things should be improved by October. Still got three more months here. The one thing they mentioned that's been my biggest issue is the volume responsiveness. That should be fixed in the next two months two months to fix the volume button. I adjust the volume on my Sonos and it literally does not respond. It's so frustrating. Time for the feedback segment. This is your feedback plus the mail bag. These are the emails, the comments, and the question as I get from you, and believe me, you send me a lot. If you'd like to submit yours, go to rich on tech dot tv and hit contact. Laura from Silver Springs, Maryland writes in I have a bizarre experience with my computer. A large black spider kept crawling across my screen from the inside. Oh my gosh, that would scare the heck out of me. After that, the tech started randomly changing size. Now I get a page more unresponsive. My computer's already running slow.
Speaker 2: Now I'm worried.
Speaker 1: What could this spider have done to my computer? And is it gone? Is it gone? Am I dealing with a different kind of bug altogether? Laura, I don't know. I would burn that computer down, honestly, just blow torch it. Honestly, that's like spider inside your screen. I would literally run out of my house. I would run out. Jim writes in I heard your segment on cruise ship communication last weekend.
Speaker 2: Here's my approach.
Speaker 1: For short cruises with just a few c days, I keep my phone in airplane mode and I use this ship's Wi Fi for onboard communication. In foreign ports, I use t Mobiles International services. For longer cruises, I pay for the ship's Internet package, which allows me to use Wi Fi calling and messaging while at sea. This strategy has helped me stay connected without incurring excessive charges. Jim, I do think my time not being on a cruise is coming to an end because I think I need to see what it's like to connect on a cruise. Mark from Carlsbad says, I tried e SIMS from my family's trip to England after hearing your segment.
Speaker 2: The installation was easy.
Speaker 1: We saved over two hundred dollars in a week using WhatsApp for communication. However, I hit a snag when my credit card was frozen due to suspected fraud. I couldn't call the US using WhatsApp, and without Verizon's international calling I was stuck. I ended up adding their travel pass. Anyway, my advice, even when using eSIMs, have at least one person in your group keep an international plan for emergencies. The eSIM still saves money overall, but having a backup for voice calls can be a lifesaver. That is a great advice. That's what my wife and I did in Italy. I did the SIMS, she kept Verizon. It worked out perfectly. If you ever get in that situation again, have a Google Voice number. You can make calls over Google Voices Wi Fi, so that's easy there too. Carol from Orange County rights in I received a scam call related to my Spectrum service. The caller used a New Jersey number claimed I needed to contact them to keep my forty percent discount. Suspicious, I called Spectrum directly and confirmed it was indeed a scam, but they did inform me of a small price increase on my next bill.
Speaker 2: Oh how nice.
Speaker 1: I'm grateful for shows like yours that keep us informed about these scams and remind us to stay vigilant. It's scary how legitimate these attempts can sound. Absolutely, I'm glad you didn't fall for that one, Patricia says, Hey rich. With so many apps and items to subscribe to, I'm deeming this the year two power back for our family. I would never delete your newsletter. Your information is way too valuable. I trust your reporting, smile. You're the best the Thompson's and Terry from Arlington Heights, Illinois says, I've been a faithful listener since you took over for Leo. I never miss an episode. While I really appreciate the technology you share, it's your personal approach that makes your show a must listen. You come across as a genuinely nice person, and you have a great radio presence. Thanks for keeping us informed and entertained. Terry, We're gonna leave it at that. Thank you so much. That really warms my heart. It makes my day. I did not pay for that. Was that was Sometimes I get an email that makes my day, It makes my week, it makes my life, and you know that this is I love coming in here.
Speaker 2: I love doing this show.
Speaker 1: I see it as a way to share the knowledge and to get everyone out there safe and protected from all of the things that we are up against on a daily basis. Next week, I'm gonna talk about how AI could affect your job. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks everyone to make this show possible. I'm rich tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Talk to you soon.