Speaker 1: Hey, this is Kyle Stowers and you're listening to Fish on First.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our Fish on First Live Trade Deadline special. We're counting down to the deadline. We're taking you through and we're reacting to what the Marlins do once the dust settles. They've already done some stuff for us to discuss and the hour leading up to the deadline. It's Eli Susman here, the founder of FF. We're on the Fish On First podcast, part of the Foul Territory Network presented by jet Ski Rentals of South Florida. Got a full house, I think one more than a full house of lous is five. We got six to start this off. It's gonna be a beautiful mess. Kevin Barrell, Jeremiah Geiger, Isaaca Zoo, Sean Miller, Nate Krsmer. I'm glad that Nate was able to come off the il fresh off of wisdom tooth removal surgery. So that's good timing there. And I am Eli Sesman As I said again, Uh, we're gonna dive right into what the Marlins have done so far and what this could still do in this hour until the deadline. So two significant trade Yeah, I guess I'll call them both significant trades for this Marlins team. Uh, both that we're I guess expected in terms of the players that removed from the Marlins, and we didn't have a great idea in terms of what these players were worth, and now all of a sudden we do. We'll start with Liam Hicks. We've talked about Liam Hicks, I think on every single show these last couple of weeks, just because he was a prototypical trade candidate for this Marlins team, as a guy that has been squeezed kind of out of position for this Marlins team but still such a good hitter that he had a lot of value across the league. Ends up going to the Tampa Bay Rays. These teams have been frequent trade partners in recent years. A trio of prospects coming back and Brayden Taylor, Adrian Santana and Jacob Kissing Taylor and Santana being infielders, Kissing being a right handed pitcher. We'll start off with Kevin. You know, Kevin, we talked a lot about Hicks, you and I, and you accurately predicted him to get traded. The Rays of in the team that have been connected to the Marlins specifically on Hicks leaving uins to this deadline. So what do you think about the return just to start.
Speaker 3: There, for a little underwhelming for for someone like Hicks who had that much of that much control remaining, and for what the market was like for a catcher. The only other catcher notable one that's been moved really is is Rutchman. Before that, it was Ohppy, I guess most recently Joey BArch just went to the White Sox so but at the end of the day, you got three prospects, two of them on the younger side, who you know, Kissing seems pretty solid in terms of what at least the numbers. And then Santana's on the young grand as well. He's looked good so far in High A. Had to play some rehab games at the Complex League I saw, so there's some sort of he had some sort of injury this season. Then Taylor is an interesting one. I know, we're not a lot of us weren't very thrilled when that name went through, But yeah, at the end of the day, you know what, the Marlins did what they had to do. I think this is the right move to trade Hicks. They it was just a clog at that d H spot with Also, you look at the major league roster, the guys that were there, they still believe in Gus. I'm assuming he'll get recalled if I had to assume, So yeah, fine, return Bradon. Taylor's an interesting the headliner of the trade obviously, but you know, I could see him getting promoted to Triple A. He's been good at Double A. He's repeating the level. Let's see what you got right at this point. If the Marlins have been very big on being aggressive in terms of promotions, I could see him getting promoted to the Triple A. That's that's what they would have to do. Oh boy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, a whole lot of opinions coming in on the chat. Thank you immediately for everybody that's joining us live on YouTube and on Twitter and Facebook. Got a good crowd in there. We'll see all your comments and uh yeah, a lot of mixed opinions that I think, as you kind of identified there, it comes down to how you feel about Taylor. Because using as one reference point, Baseball America, it has none of these guys ranked as one of the raised top thirty prospects. And you go to pipeline and all three of them I believe cracked the top thirty list, with Taylor kind of right in the middle there. Taylor was. Fangrafts was the high outlet on Taylor. I think at one point last year he had them, he had them number three in the entire race system, and that even now still relatively high up there at their update when it came to earlier this year. Now a look to Nate. Haven't heard from nad in a while coming off of his procedure. So yes, specifically on Taylor, this is a guy. What do you make of him? The fact that his numbers had been awesome this year? As Kevin noted, it's just it's repeating a level though that he got his ass kicked frankly at the double A level last year. So what do we make of that? Trying to, you know, decipher those factors where he's doing well. But how much can we really take those numbers at face value just given the fact that he had he went through this challenge the previous year and frankly failed at it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it was first announced, I was like, is this really going to be the headliner for a guy like Liam Mitz? I was pretty unsure and then it comes in. So, uh yeah, Brent Taylor, I'm gonna be honest, not too high on the guy, former first round pick. Obviously tore it up at TCU back in college.
Speaker 1: But when you're in Double.
Speaker 4: A for the third year in a row after dating, like you said, you a pretty much dominated all of twenty twenty five lists, I'm not you know, lose that on complete oak for the guy.
Speaker 1: But I said it earlier.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is no offense at Bram Paully, but I mean it's the floor and ceiling. It's kind of similar to what brand PAULI gives you already, maybe a little bit more pop, and he doesn't when you're repeating a level, uh your third year as a pro coming our college double A level and also a guy that's gonna be Rule five eligible after after the season. So if he doesn't show you much at this point, I mean that they're probably don't protect him anyway up after you getting him as a headliner in this hits deal. But disappointed, but at the same time, you know, uh, if that's if this is the best deal that Peter bennan Stott and they don't really believe in hips to move his value up after the season or throughout step and half of the year. Obviously his power has some down a little bit. I believe only has what three homers since June and a lot of the numbers underneath the hood and what that would either. So I trust bend Its. If this is the time the deal, I'm do it now. But I would probably prefer to see a little bit of quality over quantity in this context because all three of these guys and idro off the site like Baseball America, especially after the fan drafts tragedy of twenty twenty five, having Nathan Marrell a top five in the Marlin system, that kind of destroyed them for me. So not to please, but I think after the Braxton trades one for one on the day and I'll have to wait for the next hour.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Sana and you long for Santanna, don't forget top five process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Fangres has had. They just have a very unorthodox way of ranking prospects. Where I've said this before, I really value their scouting reports. I do feel like they come up with details about these players that are notable that we should keep in minds when falling is just the way that they actually prioritize them and come up with future value has always been out of sync with how it seems the rest of the industry and how might myself personally actually values these players. So I don't pay too much attention to those rankings, but they do find interesting nuggets about these guys. Isaac, you have reported that with Hicks gone, it was almost an either or with him and Stowars, for example, and that the fact that they were able to find a deal that it found suitable for X means that Stowars is saying, can you take us through quickly how serious you thought it was that they might actually move stours and just elaborate on the fact that why it is that he's now they feel like it's more important to keep him around. So now they've thinned out their left handed hitter pool a little bit.
Speaker 5: And even after doing that, they have so many left handed bats still in the major league roster and ready to contribute as soon as next year. But with star Wars, I was told that I was told yesterday that it was highly highly too highly unlikely unlikely that they would trade both Hicks and star Wars, And I always felt we always we all did. We always felt that it made more sense to deal Hicks at this very at this moment in time, rather than Stours. So once we saw the Hicks trade go through, he just knew that, you know, the Actioners were going to pivot somewhere else, and they did.
Speaker 2: They went to go get the multi.
Speaker 1: Far show, and you know, it would be a tough look.
Speaker 5: I think it'd be an easier decision to make if they were fifteen games under or something, but they are still in this playoff race, and to deal, you know, two big pieces of your offense, it would be a tough look for both PR and the Major League Baseball side of things. So I think I like that the way they went around things about things with the trade off Hicks and with Stoars. That doesn't mean that he won't get traded in the off season. They really do. Like all their opertives that they have at Pensacola. They think Cam is ready as of next year. They think he's a top one hundred prospect. But I didn't think it made a lot of sense of deal stars in right now, and I'm glad they didn't. But yeah, I know it was never going to be both of them. Now what's coming next is whether they trade a couple of relievers or not. We saw they traded Brackson'll get to that later, but yeah, it was always gonna be one or the other. And I guess, like you guys mentioned Star Wars is going to probably command a better return, and I sort of a little bit agree with Nate that it was a bit of an underwhelming return for Hicks, as the Marlins announced that bit earlier today with a Rob Rasmussen graphic rather than the correct players that initially, which.
Speaker 1: Was pretty funny. But yes, it's going to be interesting.
Speaker 5: Fifty forty nine minutes left until the deadline, which you'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: I'll go to Sean, now, you did have an article that's won't put it out right after the deadline about just what the Marlins should do and shouldn't do at the deadline in order to with respect to how they're been competitive this season and how I think the win that you were kind of looking at it is that Liam Hicks would be like threading that needle where he was a guy that potentially could be expendable and yet you can still as long as it kept all the other offensive pieces, starting pitchers, other core guys around him that still feel pretty good about where they are. So the dust hasn't settled yet. Maybe they do make a pivot at the last moment that throws everybody off, and that's actually is a big detriment to their competitive chances. But would you say that, even though they've pipped them for guys that aren't going to help the Marlins this year, does that appropriately strike that balance between, you know, preparing for the future and still leaving them enough behind to stay in this wild card race, where as a reminder one and a half games back of a playoff spot as of this recording.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's you know again, it's right there on the line. And a big part of it for me is, you know, everything I had read going into this, or a lot of what I had read you did seem to indicate that they're kept alive, that possibility of the MLB for MLB return, that the piece coming back in a Hicks trade would be something you could see, at.
Speaker 1: Least one of the things would be something.
Speaker 6: You could see contributing towards you know, the twenty twenty six Marlins having that you know, slightly better chance of competing just in terms of you know, yeah, any warm body in the starting rotation, right and just you know something you take, you know, take some bullets, you know, take some pressure off that pen. And you know, I've seen a lot about how Hicks is that you know rule five, you know pick and then you know how great it is that they're able to cash it on them. So I mean, yeah, I view a real five pick house money and house money. That's it's kind of what you bet on black now, what you put in your four oh one k. And I would have liked to have seen you know that you know in that sense you know something you know come back in the return that again would have made immediately kind of a one to one, you know, this team feel more competitive. So I'm really hoping to before kind of deciding finally how I feel about the trade, to see what happens in the next you know, forty five minutes. What that ultimate you know, roster spot replacement is that can come through another deal. But that's the only piece off the big league roster that is moved of you know, consequence that's really helped the team get to this point. Then yeah, I think they've towed that line. They got bought some cover by the twelve game losing streak. Think amidst fans, you know, buying crazy, buying big didn't make any sense. But also you know, but buying something, you know, to help. I think what we've seen the name Nick Johnson mentioned a lot Marlin's you know, socials over the last week. The fact that was a watershed trade that a lot of fans remember because the Marlins buy so seldom in their history. Like, that's a problem. How many people remember the Nick Johnson trade. But and so, while again buying big didn't make sense, a chore and something like that in the next hour, I don't think that's out of line, and I don't think that would derail the marlins long term plan that much to get well.
Speaker 3: I hate to break it to everyone, but they're not going to buy. They are not buying. They're not adding to this roster they I think the most that will end up happening is they could trade a reliever away Fouchet Baker, whatever, one of those guys. I don't at this point, I really see. I would be stunted the trade Fairbanks. I thought that would have happened by now, if anything, but they're not buying. I hate to say it this, I think this team's fine without with what they've got right now. I mean they've held up this long. I know losing Hicks's sucks, but the way Conin has been playing Casey's back, I'm assuming Gus will help them out offensively, assuming he's the one getting recalled. I don't know, they're in a fine spot. Like I can't. They would have been terrible. I they would have traded both Hours and Hicks Outus said then like all right, that's that's it. But I think the big way to look at it is like we knew that going into this the Morrows playoff chances we're gonna drop a little bit, but then we're gonna drop to zero. And that's what they've done. And they've dropped a little bit, but they're not dropping to zero, and you know they're still in it. I mean, they could play with what they've got and I think they're in a fine spot. Will they make it unlikely, but they'll make it more interesting than they did last year too, I think mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And they're naturally people that are very understandably enough feel this way that if they're not explicitly making the team better at the deadline despite being within striking distance, and as we've covered on the show, they just are not intimidating teams ahead of them in this wild card race, Like it feels like the Marlins are within the margin of error to potentially finish just as good as a lot of teams that they're up against, whether it be the Dbacks or the Padres or especially like the Pirates, the car Ordinals are fading, the Nats have rapidly faded. That the fact that it feels like they're closed and they could make that marginallal move to get better. I understand that. On the other side, what the organization is going to echo is that they're all about one to get back to October on a very consistent basis. So the two sides of that one you can understand going to be as sustainable as possible air quotes, but you got to make it to October once before you actually make it there consistently. And the fact that they're close potentially to having a team that's good enough to do it this year and not you know, making every effort to get themselves over the hump. I can understand the frustration about that. I want to go to Jeremiah. He's been patiently waiting here about it's been alluded to. You know what exactly does that mean for the Marlins backup catching situation. I think we're going to find out relatively soon for sure. But what would you do in this spot? They've been having a three catcher set up for a while now. Between Joe Mack Hicks has caught very sparingly, Brian Navaretto has actually caught slightly more often than Hicks has in recent weeks. What do you think that? Do do you think they this is this is time to resurrect Gus and give him another shot after being down at Triple A for three plus months and send down Navretto? Or are they going to continue to carry three catchers, call up Gus and still keep Navaretto arounds a little bit? Are they going to just expand Novretto's role? Is he actually gonna play more often? Actually start once to two times a week to fill that void? What would you do in that situation? Because it's uh there, you can make the argument a couple different ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like deja vous all over again. Right, we were talking about this last year, Marlin's in the three catcher situation, and you kind of find yourself in this exact same scenario. For me, I'm calling up Augustine Ramirez and I am giving him a shot as a hitter, and I want to emphasize hitter. I'm done with him as a catcher. I've been out on him for for whatever reason. The organization still believes he can catch, and they've been giving him opportunities at the Triple A level. It's not working. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I felt like Hicks's time as a Marlin was kind of coming to an end. You wanted to sell high. You look at the the under the hood metrics, He's he is out performing his expected stats significantly, especially expected batting average. He doesn't hit the ball hard, not you know, one hundred percent like thrilled with the return, but I think it could have been worse. So I think Taylor's a good prospect or intriguing to say the least. Santana good contact skills. There's something to work with there. But yeah, for me, I'm calling up Augustine Ramirez and I want to see Navaretto be the backup. I don't want to see Augustine catch because the point of a backup catcher typically is, you know, you want a guy that has defense, And what's the point of Augustine catching Joe Mack, who's so elite defensively if every few days he's going to be terrible back there? So at least Sarbaretto gives you a safe floor defensively, And honestly, I'd want to see Augustine get another chance to hit, stick him at DH, maybe give him a first base glove, do something else. But yeah, no more catcher for Gus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll open up to the rest of you guys before we go to break anybody. Where do you guys stand on what this means for the non Joe mac days behind the plate, on the days he's resting.
Speaker 5: From what I've heard, they are going to call out for mirrors and I'd be shocked if they'd call him up to simply not catch at all. And he has been catching every day at tripa A Jacksonville, despite basically we were talking about earlier not improving whatsoever, in fact, maybe getting a little worse behind the plate. But I do think that they are reaching they are nearing the end of that experiment, quote unquote, but I do foresee them bringing him up just to have another right handed power bat. It's just unfortunate that he really hasn't taken off offensively the way we know he's capable of down there. It's just been really a little bit of streakiness and just an ops in the mid seven hundreds, which is fine, and maybe when he gets called up he co'd really turn it on again, but it's it's not a perfect perfect time to call back up, but it does look like that's what they're gonna do. Norby has also been really hot, so you could see him get called up at some point as well. So it's the good thing about this is that they have plenty of plenty of decent options to call up whenever they do need someone, so that's something that they haven't been able to do in the past.
Speaker 3: I think we're having the same conversation where it comes to Gus's bat than we did when they first sent him down. Right, if you remove him from the catching, I really do think the bat will take off. I think I think the expectation will be that gust will catch when there's a lefty on the mount opposing lefty on the mound. I think that's what that's what I've heard. If assume he's the one that ends up getting called up on Olaac just said he probably will. But I truly think that if you put him at first and have him DH and he's catching like two or three times a month like the bat, I think could really take off. And they needed to. They need it to because now you traded your RBI, your RBI leader, you're your run producer. One of the guys who honestly had one of the better approaches on the team when it comes to he had the low strike up percentage amongst all catchers. He walked a decent bit like you need Gus to really step up if he's the guy and really start producing the runs, because even before he got sent down he wasn't doing that. The power has kind of come back a little bit in triple A, but outside of that, he is still pounding the ball on the ground and it's a high ground ball rate and just hasn't been great offensively. It just hasn't been consistent. I really think leaving fully the catcher stuff behind and just focusing as a DH first baseman. I know overall it'll really drop down his value as a player, but if he could hit man who cares, right, That's how I see it. I still think he'll catch, but I don't think it'll be full time anymore. I see it kind of like Ben Rice with the Yankees. I know he hasn't caught this year, but I think last year ended up catching a couple games here and there because of need more than because he's good at it, or because you know, they still want to do that. But that's what I could see with Gus and Ben Rice's bat is really taken off. So not saying that Gus will take off the same way, but something similar wouldn't hurt that point.
Speaker 1: It's almost like, what's what's the point of even throwing him behind the plate at all? Like, if it's gonna be so.
Speaker 3: You'd rather have Brian Novaretto who offensively off Yeah no, no, yeah, of course, but offensively Brian Elvarretto is a nobody, but but not not entirely. You don't have to, you don't have a nobody offensively behind them in the lineup.
Speaker 1: I'd raither have.
Speaker 3: Gus, who's a shitty defensive catcher and could hit.
Speaker 1: The Marlins games. Navaretto is not going to cost the Marlins a game defensive.
Speaker 3: You don't know. You don't know that, you don't know that. There is multiple times I'm not disagreeing with you. Yes that's true, but you're telling me Novaretto is perfect. He's not.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not saying he's a backup catcher Marlins Jeff.
Speaker 3: Mat Brian Brian Navaretto is not a major leaguer.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: The thing is that.
Speaker 5: The fact that Joe mack is such an elite defensive catcher, I feel like that changes the way that the Martins look at their backup position for EA, Like when they have a good catcher as or starting catcher that's not great defensively, Yes, there's a lot of value to have a Jeff mathis never Retto type, But when Joe macki is as the leite as he is, then maybe you look at a little bit differently.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure what the right answer is.
Speaker 5: I think both players are immensely flawed, and I thought Hicks was a perfect medium between the two of them. But I still see why they traded him. But you know, arguing about who's shittier. Come on, what are you doing here?
Speaker 3: We got other stuff to work talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I find a word on this part of the thinking going into Hicks trade and why there's some fit logically for Gus even as a catcher, even if we have to close our eyes when watching him behind the blade, is that it's currently set up between Hicks and Mac when you're facing a left handed pitcher. That's they were getting no offense on either. There was no good solution both of those guys low five hundreds ops against lefties, Hicks and Mac this season. For as good as Mac has been, that's been the one main flaw in his game, and Hicks has been just as bad this year. I think it's going under the radar, Like how ineffective Hicks was as a hitter as well when he was facing lefties and guz. The only thing that he did well at the major league level this year before gang sent down was hit against right He hit against lefties, raking against lefties, and he's still done that to a good extend in Triple A and the fact that he's done at the big leagues for parts of two seasons gives you confidence it will work over there. So that's kind of the bouncing act that you do in nov Retto. Frankly, even though he does the platoon advantage against lefties, you don't trust him whatsoever in that role, given that he has an extensive track record that just shows that offensively, he's not gonna give you much anything. He can't count on it.
Speaker 3: He's a glorified coach man. He's a glorified coach. That's if you're telling me, if anyone thinks this man is a viable catcher.
Speaker 1: No, I never said he was valuable.
Speaker 3: You You just you argued you'd rather have him up over Gus.
Speaker 1: Know, I said I would rather Navarreto catch over Gus.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, no, ship.
Speaker 1: As a d H full time I'm ready to not happening.
Speaker 3: I can promise you right now that's not what's not happening.
Speaker 1: That's what has to happen. It won't.
Speaker 3: It won't.
Speaker 2: So it'll be time to circle back to this and so well, at the other side of the breakway, it gets to this practicing Garriretrade as well, even the smaller in scale but surprisingly comparable return on the prospect side. So we're going to get into that and everything else, and still thirty five minutes for additional moves to take place. So we will be with you throughout that whole process. First a word from a word from mints Mobile, and we'll be back in a minute.
Speaker 7: It's the summertime, aj and this is a time to feel free wild, make some phone calls that you're overdue for, and also get some deals that you should be getting that you deserve.
Speaker 8: It couldn't be any easier though. It's just one price for unlimited talk, text and data. It's really simple. It is one price for all the data and all the phone calls you could want per month. It's simple, that's right.
Speaker 7: All of mint mobiles plans are fifteen bucks a month with the summer sale, even unlimited. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory to cut your wirely bill to fifteen dollars a month.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 7: There's no catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve months. Plan required fifteen bucks per month, equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required availability, speed and coverage. Farries Semittmobile dot Com.
Speaker 2: And we were back here on FLF Live a very spirited conversation about the first trade that the Marlins maintenance ratifications. The second trade is official as well. Braxton Garrett gone after more than ten years in the Marlins organization, former first round draft pick, former postseason starter for this Marlin and seemed just three years ago, really too less than three years ago, and a guy that we just hadn't seen very much at the major league level since then, particularly this year, and we've had plenty of conversations about that and the team's reluctance to use him at the big league level this year despite having a pretty apparent need for starting pitching even at this moment. So let's just dive in into this first about glad Isaaca, just about the fact that Brax was used, and I would say underused the way that he was this year, only pitching seven endings at the big league leveble of this year, and of course those two mediocre starts did very well in TRIAA, but as they needed starting pitchers and they didn't even give him a shot even though he was crushing it in Jacksonville.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got more than I would have suspected, especially since his last couple starts in Triple A weren't phenomenal. But we got to give Braxie Flowers. This was a first overall pick back in twenty sixteen. You mentioned it, ten years in the organization, and he really contributed an insane amount more than I thought he would, to be honest with you. Multiple elbow surgeries for the guy. He debuted in twenty twenty, contributed to their twenty twenty three playoff run. He was actually their number two starter in the Wildcard Series in Philadelphia and one of the nicer guys in the entire organization. So to see him go to a really fun situation in Wrigley Field with the Cubs, and yeah, they clearly had a couple of motives in keeping him down. One they just did not want to risk calling him back up and him gets shelld one more time, and then all of his value gets diminished. Unfortunately, apparently he still had some value, so that was good to see, and I think they just thought the command was never going to return, and it seemed to be that seems to be the case. Hopefully the Cubs can fix him a little bit, wanting to get more velocity, but the breaking ball is still there. Latando pictures are always valuable, and I think he has some sort of role with the Cubs come October. Hopefully the Cubs won't be in October because that means the Marlins will be in it. But should Miami not make it, in favor of the Cubs, I'll be rooting for Brax.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of us shared these sentiments from LMF about Brax as a human being off the field and the guy that did all the right things. There was some interesting reporting from Barry Jackson The Herald earlier today about how the Marlins were wanted him to really prioritize adding velocity. This is a guy that's always had below average v low even for a lefty, and wanted him to make some significant adjustments in terms of his training and his pitch usage, and that they were kind of butting heads about that, and that may have been part of the factor in terms of why it is that, despite the results he was getting at Triple A, didn't get that other opportunity. But to Kevin, I guess a little bit more about the prospects they got in return here, because I'll just there's no way to sugarcoat it. I was wrong on Practice's value. I underestimated how much value he would have. I thought, as a twenty eight year old he's about to turn twenty nine, beating up on Triple A competition. I didn't think that would do anything for his value. And yet pitching is apparently just extremely important on this market at this time of year, even guys that haven't shown that they could pitch in the majors effectively for a while. And they get a guy and Jonathan Long that we could be seeing really soon at the big league level. They get a second piece as well, that was comfortably in the cub's top thirty prospects. So to get those two, to guess a return that's like surprisingly similar to what they got for Hicks, that some credit goes to the front office, I guess, even though they didn't clearly didn't have faith or want him really part of their big league team. Frankly, at least other contending teams did, and the Cubs ended up having to pay quite a bit to get him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two top thirty guys according to Pipeline, which honestly, you're right. I had no clue they would actually get this for him. When I saw the trade went through, I figured it maybe be like a prospect or like a player to be named later, But they got a lot more than I figured. And I think that the track record and what he's done before, and he does have some playoff experience and all that does play, I guess a factor in what they think, and that maybe going to another organization gives him a fresh start, and he's going to one that's in the middle of a postseason race, so you know, wishing him nothing but the best there. But yeah, Jonathan long and know was a guy that a lot of Marlins fans and Marlin's Twitter was very happy to see on his way to Miami. Sixteenth rank prospect in Baseball America. I think he's number ten on pipeline. So that's a guy who could potentially see some big league time. We'll see if that that ends up being the case. Then Chase Beck is another guy who provided some depth into their relief or to their relievers. If the Momins end up trading a reliever in the next thirty twenty nine minutes, maybe he gets a call up at some point during the season, or he joins the team in Atlanta. He has yet to debut at the big league level, but you know, he's a guy that could definitely help. And yeah, it's a fine trade, nothing crazy. The fact that they got two players in return, to top two ranked prospects in return, I think just is good enough for me. Jonathan Long hopefully see sometime that the big leage. Both of them should honestly see some time at the big league level at some point this season. A little higher on Long, but it's it's a risk that the Cubs are taking the one that they can take because they they had the system to do it. And yeah, you know, solid acquisition.
Speaker 4: Yeah I'm higher as well, But I just want to talk about Chase Beck. I mean, this guy's an absolute monster was he six nine, two hundred. The Cubs signed him an undrafted or not undrafted as a minor league free agent in November and honestly hasn't shown much. He's been up and down between Triple A and Double a I've got a three ram double a Knoxville right now. But I'm just really excited to see what the Marlins Pitcheon development can do with this guy. I mean, let's see that there's a lot of untapped potential there. I know we had a little bit of a lossity spike this year, so potentially seeing upper nine from this guy, maybe a little at a little offspeed pitch or refine what he has already. But in terms of just guys I'm excited about. Obviously, I feel like launch a safer guy, but a six nine diction out of the bullpen never fun to face for anyone. So Jase Beck, we will be tuned into you, my man.
Speaker 2: A little commentary. They'll flash on the screen from Alex Carver. People in the chat wondering where is Carver? Where is Carver? I think he'll join us at the end of the show. But he is still falling along with this stuff, and he's excited about Jase Peck as well, for the reasons that Nate highlighted very rare size of course, and the fact that his strikeout rate this year extremely impressive. He is an older player relative to his level, just turned twenty six years old, so that has to be taken into consideration. But those strikeout numbers really are eye popping, over a third of the batters that he's faced over all this year between double A and triple A. Not on the forty men roster yet, doesn't need to be an imminent call up candidate, but could be a guy that you see before the end of the year because he doesn't have a whole lot more to develop down there. But you get a little more on Long from Jeremiah because I know you've been on him since the offseason as a guy that you thought would be interesting for the Marlins. So just a little bit more about why it is that you'd think he's going to be successful at the next level as a guy that's really hammering on the door for a call up. And it's pretty convenient that he's also a righty bat as well. We were talking about how this team is a little slanted in terms of being overly left handed, and they send out Hicks and now they bring in Long, So even if they're not exactly one for one as the same player like Long could wind up whether it's the end of this year or next year, he'd be getting a lot of the at bats that Hicks had and just be a more complimentary piece because of his handedness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really excited for this move, and I gotta agree with you at ELI. This shocks me that the two the Marlins got four Brax and Garrett was this solid because not only was Garrett not pitching super consistently in his two starts in Miami, and then he had a couple of really bad outings that could have tanked his value, he was pitching in the miners all year. So the Marlins made out really well with this one. Jonathan Long is a guy I've been high on. I was thinking about acquiring him potentially in an Edward Cabrera deal this offseason, and they didn't get that done. But Long is He's got a lot of qualities you want to see from a hitter if you're the Marlins. He's got plus power, plus contact, good approach Defensively, It's kind of like a first base type. But you know, when you really think about the situation for Miami, that's not the worst thing in the world. They don't have a ton of first base prospects coming up, so I think Long has nothing left to prove in Miami. So when we talk about a major league for or not proven trip, Lash'd say I think he needs to be in Miami as soon as possible. When we talk about major league for major league swap, this is kind of that scenario because long there's nothing left to prove, he's still hating consistently really good approach. He's not going to not going to strike out a ton, I hope not. That's that's a concern a little bit with his swing and miss, but overall I like the move. And then to second what you guys are saying about Jase Beck. This guy could be a major league believer, throw so hard and such an intimidating presence on the mound. So get those two players for Braxton Garrett. At this point in Garrett's career, you gotta walk away thinking the Marlins feel really good about this.
Speaker 2: M H couldn't resist pulling up this comment. I know that think as Einhorn falls us closely on all we do. And remember is that Carver rants from the deadline last year. In this case the Morens, I guess you could say that Fairbanks is the closest comp to that as a pending free agent who was doing well, right before the dental. We'll get to that in a moment.
Speaker 3: You trade him for something, guys, right, him for something for anything? Literally anything, guys.
Speaker 2: Well we're speaking twenty three and a half minutes before the deadline year the Marnins I made those two trades combined five prospects they get in return. I think we generally feel that Long is the one that is the quote best of those, but we've seen through the years that these stuff can go in pretty improbable directions one way or the other. I guess we'll take a quick breather here. Just there's been a lot of moves around the league, So I'll go to Sean first. Anything that catches your eyes specifically today, just to keep it as current as possible. That a move, a non Marlins move that really caught your attention today that you have a take about.
Speaker 6: Probably just what the Red Sox had to pay for Rushman was surprising. Yeah, Yeah, that's definitely a player high used to be pretty high on. I think his stars dimmed a bit, and it seem like a big overpay on the Red Sox part. So that's wanted to struck me the most. I never want to see and beyond that then just everyone else in the N East race, you know, doing you know, little things to you know, improve whether that was you know, the Philly is adding a player near and dear to all of our hearts or on some level, or you know the Braves, you know making moves as well. That's just never never want to see the other division contenders on, you know, tinkering. But the big standout today was Rushman. And then there was that thing that happened that happened the other day in baseball.
Speaker 1: Talk about that.
Speaker 2: Everybody's moved on now, everybody is catching up to the Dodgers. They've shot their bullet with that two time defending Sight Young Award winner. Now keeping it in the present, wellout, You need anything else going around the league that you found interesting?
Speaker 4: Marlins related, well, I guess right now it doesn't really mean much to anyone here, but the fact that the Twins are buying what is just their year. They just got Jeff Hoppin from the Blue Jays. I don't know what in the hell is combined compelling them to buy, especially in their current city and a stacked division like the Al Central. But hey Man, when he got a chance to go for it in the al, especially in a year like this, and you do so honestly, not too much obviously, the Brave stacking up on drislate Lane Thomas and that was yesterday, and the Phillies didn't Luise Arrives, who, as Eli noted earlier, obviously, one of the most iconic moments of this decade was him getting that cycle at Citizens Bank Park three years ago. So not going to be fun to face the Phillies, at least to Morrowins took care of them, so I believe they only have one more trip to Philly this year and then they're done until the postseason of course. So yeah, not too much Outside of that. The Yankees just getting Elliott Ramos. Hopefully they don't make a lot of moves. I'm not a big fan of the Yankees anyway, so if Brian Cashman conte on his hands and not making anything else, I'll be fine. But yeah, pretty much like what Seahn said that Ali Rushman deal Man, you feel honestly gutted for Orioles fans. One of my close friends a big Orioles fan. They had to sit through what those late twenty tens years of pure misery. Finally, got the first overall pick, and then they, you know, go to the playoffs, batch at years and stink it up, and they're probably gonna be right back to square one soon enough. So it's brutal, but that's baseball. So hopefully, I don't know, one of these days and then the level turn for them.
Speaker 5: I would love to have Alex Carr on the show because I'd love to know his thoughts on the Orios trade. Yeah, it's a great addition, but just the amount of shifting they're gonna have to do defensively just to fit him in, and he's not exactly a fantastic defender. He is this year, but it just feels so they're going out of their way to add someone when they could have just simply added an outfielder, because that's pretty much what they needed. Dave Dombrowski had me scratching my head a little bit on that one, like he's a great complimentary piece, but to put Harper back in right field, which is looking like what they're gonna do. He already he did something that I thought was super admirable, which has moved first base, and now you're gonna put him back in right field, you know, I guess temporary situation. I'm not a huge fan of that move. For Philadelphia. Rise is a great hitter. It's gonna play very well in that ballpark, or maybe not because the corners are really the corner outfields, or it's really shallow, not a lot of room for a dumb fly balls anymore.
Speaker 1: So we'll see that one was a little bit strange for me.
Speaker 2: Just in the last few minutes. Then that's making another selling move, selling Foster Griffin having an amazing debut season in the majors after being successful overseas, and they catch him in for four prospects from the Guardians organization elsewhere. With the Giants move that they made, they're sending Eric Miller, a lefty reliever from Marcelo Meyer who was very high up on top prospect lists just a year and a half ago and very quickly fell out of favor in Boston behind a lot of other position players they have here. I was surprised to see that they were willing to sell that low on his value, given that how highly regarded he was a very short time ago, So that was surprising. I thought he still had more value than that at this moment. So that really caught my eye too, and as also just the general principle of the Twins buying. As Nate mentioned, the fact that last year they were the biggest seller in the entire market, Like this old forty percent of their roster last year at the deadline, and this year good enough and a weak al central to feel that they can go for it and put some more money on the books that they'd just taken off the previous year. I guess yeah. We'll address a couple more interesting questions I saw in the chat going back to Marlins related stuff before we move forward on here. The one that I saw that I really liked was about the pitch calling from the dugout and the fact that Hicks is now going I was thinking about this ramification too, about how it is that that impacts the way that Marlins catchers are valued. The Marlins are the one team that is exclusively calling pitches from the dugout this year, and that's generally gone. Well, it just means that it takes a responsibility largely off of the catcher's played, and it's done by the coaching staff and the dugout itself. So the fact that Hicks most of his major league experience has now been in that role because they started doing it last year a little bit at the end of the season and now all of this year, so that Hicks hasn't done very much traditional pitch calling at the major league level during the course of his career, so I think that may have been a into it as well. I don't know any of you guys if you have thoughts on that. The fact that Marlin's catchers are being used differently and being more specialized than others at different positions, that could be part of the reason maybe why it is that he went for less than we thought he would on paper.
Speaker 3: You kind of mentioned it. He did call normal pitches last year as early as last year, so and he's done this in the minor leagues before. Like at the end of the day, he's still the one, I guess in putting the pitch on the pitch coom thing. The only difference is like he's the one that's just gonna call it I do, And he's kind of been pretty adamant about like it's not that big of a difference. It's just him looking to the side, looking at the call and then calling it. I may shave off like another second now, you know, like you know, gives them a little more time to do it. I'm sure they spoke about this and this was asked or this was part of the deal, or you know, the conversations. But I'm sure you know that's not going to be that big of a deal. He did this last year too, with the same organization, so I'm not too worried about it. And the Rays are quite the innovative organization themselves, so yeah, I'm not too worried.
Speaker 6: I think it's hard to get a read on. Just like you mentioned Marlins catchers overall, it's like if you take kicks out of it, then the error bars are so extreme with the other Marlin catchers, and you one end, you have Joe Mack who, like everyone in the game degree is one of the best catchers in the game, and then there's Augustine Ramirez, who is everyone would degree is one of the worst catchers defensively and major League Baseball at the other end of the specsion.
Speaker 1: So it's a little hard too.
Speaker 6: I feel like you do the math on that, I would, but you know, personally, I would think there is a bit of a hit, but not enough to really move the needle in a I think a major way in a transaction.
Speaker 2: M Yeah. Aside from that, I think it was noted that the Marlins haven't played the Cubs at all this year, so assuming Brax is part of their pitching staff, there is a chance, multiple chances for a revenge game of sorts between him and them before the end of the season. One that as a more legit revenge angle too. It's just given what we've learned through Barry Jackson's reporting and what we could have observed from the far, the fact that he was a guy that was so deserving of getting some sort of opportunity based on performance and didn't get it, and now the Cubs to some extent will I don't think it's been like confirmed that he's going to be in their rotation right away and have a permanent about the rest of the year. He's gonna to earn it. He could still be optioned down to Triple A for the time being, and the Cubs might There's still a few minutes left for the Cubs to make other additions there that bump him further down the depth chart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they acquired goss They're acquired Gossman and I think they acquired another starter, so so they've added starting pitching through the steadline, so and you still have Cabrera, who's on the eye. I believe he's coming back. They stope some guys are coming back from injury. So maybe Brax for the time being does slip into the rotation or they think he may be better in the bullpen. Who knows. But yeah, Braxa is not by any means. I think a shured a spot on the rotation, they would be really bad. I would feel terrible for him if he gets acquired, he finally feels like he's going to get called up and he just to go what to Iowa. That's where their Triple A affiliate is. That's even worse than Jacksonville. Yeah, not fun.
Speaker 4: I don't think Braston has one angry bone in his body to have like any type of like revenge outated of to Marlands, So I'm not really too worried about that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Also like this regime that he really wasn't around for too much, So yeah, I guess so.
Speaker 4: I think that heard more than anything is the fact that he was an old regime guy and then with the Benet regime and that that was the name on his troph and I think mm hmmm, right.
Speaker 2: So just fifteen minutes to go to the deadline, and as usual, there's news that trickles out even after the deadline passes, so we will stay on there a little bit beyond six pm Eastern as well, just to make sure we don't miss any of that. We're going to take a breath for one more minute here from one of our other sponsors, and we'll be right back to talk about what, you know, what else the Marlins could do in these final few minutes, and we're hoping to see what what you guys are hoping to see as well before the clock strikes six pm Eastern, So stick with us.
Speaker 7: Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program.
Speaker 3: Kratz.
Speaker 8: We love our pups, we do, and I can't put Bella in a bubble, so you know what I'll do.
Speaker 3: I'll do the next best thing for her.
Speaker 7: That's right. The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, and that's your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash faul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash faul again one more time, ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insuran and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 2: Right back to Kevin, do you think the marls might not be done yet?
Speaker 3: They may have one more in them, That's.
Speaker 2: All I know, Well, just reckless speculation. Who do we think it could be? From my personal take is that have to be somebody on the reliever side. This team that, as we've discussed, so it's a front office that is not going to is willing to trust its ability to develop guys to make pretty radical changes. In a short amount of time and sell high on guys that do improve quite a bit in a short amount of time as well, so that there's a few candidates that fit check that box. Then on the other end of the spectrum, there is the one pending free agent on this team. There's Pete Fairbanks, who is had a very volatile year and I thought just a few weeks ago he was kind of a lost causes a trade candidate, but he's performed so well. Just hope for his last five appearances to kind of bring himself into consideration. Another guy that we've discussed as a group, and I think from watching him on a regular basis, have been relatively unimpressed with his performance is Calvin Fouchet, who if you look under the hood, some of the peripherals of him are still impressive even though he is not really executed with the game on the line, and he still has a pretty pretty peripherals, like pretty attractive peripherals, I should say. And the guy that still has three years of control beyond this year, he's in his arbitration years, He's not he's in that sweet spot. We're not close to free agency yet, but getting a little bit more expensive and he has I think Kevin noted to me the other night that he has actually quietly performed well also in recent weeks. You know, where do you stand Nate on Just like the general idea about relievers, this is a team that their bullpen itself has been kind of unreliable over these last few weeks, and yet they have guys that are interesting trade candidates. They have a few that are close to coming back to injury, they have candidates at triple A. You know, what would you want to see them do on the bullpen fronts in these final few minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been saying this since Peter Bennet look over in twenty twenty four. I feel like every reliever is a spendle. It doesn't matter who they really are. Kevin's making that face because I believe the diamond match is traded for Laura's newpar So. That's a little arnaud a new bar reunion out in the desert, so a little bit interesting. But besides that, Yeah, I mean I've said it for a couple of years now. I mean, when you go when you can go out and pick up guys like Ronnie and Riquez, Michael Peterson, I mean even lake Bach or some of these guys that Peter Bennett has picked up for absolutely nothing and turn them into as shot our guy Sean Mcorn can say demons, then I don't know why you wouldn't. Even Pete Fairbans at this point kind of had like a little bit of a twenty twenty four Josh Bell type of run right before the deadline. Might thought he would like probably a month throw would have gone for nothing, But at this point you might get a little bit of something out of him, at least cash at the very worst. But he might be more than Marments at this point thanyone else. So it would stand to get rid of a guy like bid Mic right now, especially with how it amazing he's been at with the Inherited Runners, just like we saw yesterday. But if the man you believe, then get a splash for this guy and then replace him who knows a year later, you know, next year around this time, and then get Rounni and Riquez back for the spring, which will probably make these guys even more expendable. At that point, give you another and he dying than Anthony Benn are coming back soon. So yeah, all I think everyone should be available. I mean, that's how it is at this point anyway, for everyone in this roster, always listening on everyone, So I think that should pertain the most, so pretty much every lead on this roster as well.
Speaker 3: One thing to clarify real quick with the Marlins relievers is, I know people would think John Kings the other in pending free agent. He's not. He has one more year of club control because of arbitration. So I think that's one key thing there, because if they really did want to move him, they could, and they actually probably could get some nice value in return given the extra year and how cheap it will probably be. But I could see a world where they keep him, they saw the adjustments as he's made, or that the organization kind of put for them, and then yeah, they could trade him at the next deadline. I guess the other name worth noting is Bender. I don't know exactly what his timeline looks like. I believe he was throwing throwing. He probably may start of rehab assign it sometime soon. But I think the other thing to note here is that they're gonna have to make a roster move in their bullpen, regardless if they choose to recall Josh Ekna. I would they just send down Bracs Dax Fulton, but they really wanted to bring out back this and keep Dax as a long man. They would have to make a roster move there. I believe he should be back in the next couple of days, if not tomorrow. For the Brave, serious is when it makes the most sense to do, so that's something else to keep in mind. But if I had to make the prediction, I think it'll be for share Boker that are traded Baker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should touch on Lake Baker, who overall has had a good year. He ended his pre deadline service on a very high note, pitched three great endings on Friday or Saturday when Pete Fairbanks was actually unvailable for that game and Backer got it, went the distance to close that one out. He was also right a main character in the Urie Paraz perfect Game bid that was cut short. Docker came in right after him and at his worst outing of the year in that aspect as well. Need one other bad outing recently. I'm struggling to put my finger on exactly which day was that was also and of course of July, so there's been a couple of stinkers in there, but there's been a lot more good than bad. And this he had another guy where with a lot of these relievers. Fair Banks is the exception. Most of these guys are acquired very cheaply. Marlins found money in most of these cases. Michael Peterson two separate times, a waiver claim Lake Oker, waiver claim John King a very cheap one year free agent deal that he was acquired for. Who else do a guy here that he could go through? Yeah, I don't think the who's that? Uper Tyler Zueper. He's been pitching a lot of the man. He has been pitching well in some high level situations. Another former, There's no I would be he got.
Speaker 3: If he gets traded. Give make Peter Bendix the statue outside Lunde Bow Park if he got stumped in for him. Honestly, he deserves that after this brackstrade.
Speaker 4: But still like you're thinking of the Padres out in last Sunday for Lake and they it's donned the loosing street to twelve. But outside of that, I feel like, I mean, honestly, dating back to last year, Lake Padger has been solid for the most part. Remember that adding last year against the Dodgers in that day game. I think what he got he recorded one out and allowed like seven. But outside of that, he's maybe doing for one blow up, maybe two a month. But outside of that, I'm I'm a big fan of like Balker.
Speaker 1: When it comes to the bullpen. I feel like this is kind of your opportunity to sell high on some of these guys. I mean, Fairbanks, I would I wouldn't be mad if they traded him at this point because I think Peterson could could fit right in into the closing role. Kind Of hesitant to move Peterson, but I look around guys the last couple of years, some of these returns that teams are getting for bullpen pieces. I mean, you go back to last year, they didn't really sell anybody. The Giants made that trade with the with the Mets got Drew Gilbert and some quality pieces, and the consensus was, well, if bullpen arms are going that high, why aren't the Marlins capitalizing on some of these guys's value. Because of the of the depth you have in the minor leagues. You know, guys that haven't gotten an extended shot or have dealt with some injuries this year. So I'm typically one of those guys that doesn't want to see the Marlins cell especially you know at fifty eight and fifty five. I don't want to then tear down the roster. And that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that there are pieces that you can easily replace internally and still get some really good value for I mean, the giants. I'm not a Marcelo Meyer fan, a lot of people are. I don't like the under the hood metrics, but Eric Miller from Marcelo Meyer, you're gonna take that. You're gonna take that ten times out of ten and give it a shot at least. So yeah, I mean, what do we got. Some trades are going to continue to roll in over the hour, but we'll see if they get something done. I'd like to see one or two arms get shipped off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the other thing. Two trades do roll in after because there are scenes that are engaged in conversations to there's like this fine line. We're up to a certain point, like you are still allowed to make the trade. So I'm assuming if Miami were to make one more it would be after that six pm time. But something worth noting too, and I want to talk about really quick this Arizona Diamondback situation because I'm Griff and Conine into the Diamondbacks, so that obviously is no longer an option. I don't think Phillies are a longer an option either. I really I stemmed the Conine stuff based on like, hey, you know, who really needs an outfielder and work Conine probably play every day. Arizona was definitely a spot. I thought Philly was a spot where you could at least thrive a little more. Arizona will see what they end up trading for for Lars Noopar, who click much better upgraded than gryffin Conine, but I would assume traded. I think the position players are safe. Sorry name, but maybe X is the only one that may get moved amongst the guys. I think there is they could slip some guys into that second base at least for the rest of the season. Uh, but yeah, they're Yeah, we're just in this waiting point right here where if they make a move, they make a move. If they don't, it was fun and they made the right moves I think at the state line so far.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not even gonna acknowledge that extramment from you, Kevin, but nice charge right now. I just just looking at the NL wildcard standings and she brought the Diamondbacks again. Obviously Diamond Batch are driving all in, saying with the Phillies and the Padres, they looked at a team like the Pirates, who are just under the Marlins, adding some reliever help with Luke Weaver from the Mets. So this race is only gonna get tougher. And then guys like the Cardinals it's escaping me who who they're getting read of? But the Cardinals sold and obviously the NAT sewing as well, so it's going to be a little bit more competitive for that third wild card spot. And as we just yet worried that the Guardians are acquiring Nathaniel from the red So if we're worried about the Reds creeping up, then I guess they're even more in the bud now. So yeah, Pittsburgh and Luke Weaver, that's you know, that's more buying than we've seen for the Marlins so far.
Speaker 3: Is that the first trade that the Reds make this today like or this that? Wow, that's that's crazy that the team that you would have thought was gonna sell just a little bit more, And we're very open to dealing pictures because they have guys that they could deal and they would probably get an insane haul for I haven't done it.
Speaker 2: Just stand with the wild card race for for the moment there mar one and a half back And I saw comment about, uh, wouldn't you like to see no games on trade deadline days so that all the focuses on the transactions, and the MLB has kind of threaded the needle here where it's about a half schedule today. Marlins obviously off, but pretty much every single team on here aside from the Marlins in action tonight, including the Nats playing the Phillies, The Pirates are playing on the road, the Cubs are playing at home, the who else we got here?
Speaker 3: And Blue Jays who just made that trade for Dalton varshow varshows in the liner for Houston where he's going to be at least.
Speaker 4: As what whoa for Connor Norby and Aiden May breaking?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Who's on this? Jeff Pass?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: We do have a at the buzzer. At the buzzer live reaction to the Marlins acquiring a reliever making a trade to acquire what we don't know, ship do we acquire, including Connor Norby and Aiden May May. I'm pretty high on on Aiden May, so wow, Yeah, we're gonna do some live reaction here to the day and so for the moment, we'll see. My prediction was that the Morts to make three deadline deals, and this is number three, just before the buzzer. Not done yet. This might not be it, but interesting, interesting pivot here. So that's what Passing has a deal. I guess we'll find out in moments if there's any other variables here. But Victor Vadnik, a controllable right handed reliever from the Rockies for Connor Norby and Aiden May. Aiden May was there one of their higher draft picks two years ago having a nice season that hiaploit and we all know about Norby, who's who's been playing well in Triple A the last month or somebody's overqualified for that level, and so this is now this well when well just a reactions guys to this one. I think the Norby one maybe not as surprising that he's going out, But I guess let's start with the uh the acquisition in the first place. We were just talking moments ago about the Marlins. We should be in a position to trade relievers, and maybe there is a trade coming, a corresponding move, but still just in a vacuum. What do you guys think about them them investing in a very hard throwing reliever who has some high leverage experience in Victor Vodnick.
Speaker 3: I remember Vodnick was in Atlanta before, and I believe he got taken in the Rule five and it's been a weird ride. He he's got any era over five, but I think he also have to take that with a grain of salt. I think would be better to look at the roady right now, especially for him. He faced the Marlins a couple times in that four game set against the Rocky, so they got a good look at him. He throws hard as shit. I'm just more shocked to think they had to include a prospect on the Marlins and Aiden May, who I believe we have in our top thirty or was just on the outside looking in to make this trade for for Vodnik, But again, he has a lot of years of control. Yeah, I'm I'm stunned. I didn't see this coming at all. I've had a feeling maybe they'll end up moving Norby because maybe just didn't see a future there for him at the big league level. And he now goes to Colorado where I'm sure he'll go in the big league roster, and he's gonna he's gonna have a good chance to match their in course, so good opportunity.
Speaker 4: Correct, Sorry, I'm pretty sure vantage was not. Also on the mound for Owen Casey's walk off for the third game of the year. He also gave up the absolute tank to Griffin Conin coming off the bench of Cowards. So that's gonna be interesting introductions to those two guys. But man, I am, I'm shocked as the Pirates just get Tubby eight. So another team in this ray is going for lever help. But yeah, like Kevin said, man Victor Vaughner throws absolute gas, and I mean him and Michael Peterson. If you're if you're already bat Layton the late game against the Marlins, good luck, you're getting a lot of heat from them.
Speaker 5: Yeah you are, You are right made Casey hit the walk off home running game three of the season to complete the sweep. And this just goes against everything that I was that I thought I knew what they were gonna do. They were gonna stand pat minus a couple of sales, sort of like last year. But this is clearly a buying move, and I like to see this is a guy with plenty of years of control. So hence the quote unquote steep price. I think that aiden May loss hurts more than Norby one. No offense to Connor and with like, wow, wow, just two years ago this trade I was talking to someone about actually was talking to Ashley about this that two years ago, Norby was the big piece for All Star Trevor Rodgers and Kylestowers was the throwing and now Kyle Stowers is the one that's untouchable, the All Star home run hitter, and Norby is getting traded for some relievers while being in triple Jacksonville to be reunited with Troy Johnston. It's gonna be I like it. Miami really needed to show up that bullpen in a big way. I've heard rumblings. I think Josh Ecknes could be returning sometime soon, as soon as tomorrow. Perhaps Bender could be coming back a little bit in a little bit as well. So all of a sudden, you get three big new pieces to that bullpen. And so yeah, it's like three editions almost with just a price for one.
Speaker 1: So I like it.
Speaker 5: There was no avenue for Norby to be an everyday player up here. He really just cannot feel this position. He cannot play third base. He was a decent first baseman, but we all know that's not where he was going to be long term. They didn't really commit to trying him in the corner outfield spots. The bat looked okay at trible a Jacksonville, but we know, like Eli said, he's a way over qualified.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, Boker, Balker to the Pirates, Boker to the Pirates.
Speaker 2: Oh and so my prediction slips away because that's four trades.
Speaker 1: They traded a reliever.
Speaker 2: Okay, so a few more minutes on vod Nick and especially the Norby side, a little bit more in the Norby side. This is now exactly two years essentially from when they acquired him from the Orioles and the Trevor Rodgers and the Kyle Stowers deal and that first couple. It was really the first month of Norby on the Marlins was everything they could have dreamed of, Like he was showing way more power than they thought he was. They moved him to third base, and like there were little glimpses that maybe would work, and then it was pretty much all downhill from there. Like there was a lot of injuries last year twenty twenty five, and he didn't hit nearly at the same level, and then this year there was I was reminding Kevin about this the other night. You know, he was on Unfiltered a few months ago because he was like a positive story. It looked like his approach was becoming more nuanced early in the year, even it wasn't like tapping into his power, he was drawing more walks in a way that thought, you know, maybe this is more sustainable, maybe to be a bounced back year. And then he seems to take well to first base defensively, it's like, maybe that's the best chance to find him a defensive home. And as it turns out, ironically, it's the guy that he was traded here with Wars, his close friend Stowars is the one that is now temporarily filled that first base void to Norby is down to triple A, playing a bunch of different positions, and he ends up going to a team in the Rockies that's gonna have plenty of playing time for him. I'm not sure at what position, but this is kind of the second time in a matter of months that there's been this sort of deal with Troy Johnson wants to Colorado as a waiver claim. So at least there's a little bit of value if you can buy Norby in May. So there's that. Coincidentally, a report right now from Ken Rosenthal that Trevor Rodgers from that same trade of a couple years that he's staying put with the Orioles through the deadline. So that's going to be when the he's going to head into free agency this offseason as a member of the Orioles. That'll be an interesting twist to it. So there's that, and you know, I'll go into Aiden May too, because I think I'm the high man on Aiden May among our not just in our top thirty, but pretty comfortably in there. Just an amazing breaking ball and much improved command this year as well, in what it was essentially his first full season in the miners because he missed a lot of time due to injury last season. I think he's really interesting. He's very likely going to be just a reliever at the big league level, and it's going to be an interesting experiment with him in Colorado because in Colorado, more so than anything, breaking balls are the ones that are adversely affected by those conditions. Like for a guy that is very reliant on that, it's not going to move the same and that's going to be an interesting thing for him to adapt to. But I think he can make it up to the majors relatively quickly as a reliever, potentially at some point before the ends of next year. So yeah, any other thoughts quick? Three prospects coming to mind me for Lake Baker. Okay, we'll get to that and just.
Speaker 1: Hold on.
Speaker 5: I'm going to say, but I can report now, but the Marlins are done.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: They're done. That's it.
Speaker 1: Okay, that stage. I like the move a lot, like a lot. I remember last year watching him pitch for Colorado, and this is guy I know that has struggled this year, but like Kevin noted, the whole era is very poor. Uh, He's a fastball slider guy, and the fastball's elite. I mean he'll sit one hundred, hit one hundred and one, throws gas and I think he's gonna be a perfect late inning option for twenty twenty seven. When you when you look at the future of this Marlin steam, you know, Victor Vodnick's upside, I believe is higher than someone like Lake Baker. You're gonna have Rodnie and Riquez, You've got your prospects coming in. I think it's a good addition. Aid in May, I also was high on Eli, but Connor norby this time in Miami was done. I think he can't hit. Can't hit, so maybe the Rockies can fix him. I don't know. They like their reclamation projects. Mickey moniac and you know, best of luck, but it wasn't gonna work.
Speaker 4: Here island ground ball rate for Vodnik.
Speaker 5: So yeah, he doesn't for the for the stuff that he has, he doesn't generate a ton of strikeouts, which that seems like to be Peter spreadit million.
Speaker 1: That's what Sandy is a little bit and just round ball. We like to see it.
Speaker 5: It really gets me really horned up for the bullpen next year. I think this could be a little bit fun. All right, So this is this was a by definition, a hybrid deadline. As it turns out, when we thought it would just be a light sell off, it was more of a of a hybrid deadline, and that's something that we haven't seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's take a very quick, breather final ad that will play from Jessic Renzels and South Florida, and we'll come back. We'll talk about the Bocker trade and just final thoughts that digests what the Marlins did at this deadline. I'm glad that they were able to salvage it by making it an interesting one at the last possible day. So we'll hear from you in just a few moments.