Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Sloan and I know the NBA. Today's guest needs no introduction. He's a four time NBA champion and in all stuff, he's one of the best defenders in the league, a successful podcaster, and part of the core Golden State Warriors. We are live from Chase Center with the one and only Draymond's Cream.
Speaker 3: Dre.
Speaker 2: I'm sixteen years old and you're thirty three, and I'm sorry. I feel like I try to make you feel old a lot, and you're not old. But in the league of the NBA, I mean, like, you know, thirty three, now, sixteen was a long time ago.
Speaker 4: You know absolutely, I remember sixteen years ago or seventeen years ago. Would take me to see I remember that.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, because that was a lockdown. I'm about to ask you a lot of questions about that. So at sixteen years old, what were you like as a basketball player?
Speaker 4: At sixteen years old as a backasketball player is when I first kind of started to come into my own. I was kind of freshman I mean sophomore or junior year, and my junior year season is when I really took off. My freshman year, I played freshman basketball my sophomore year, I was on varsity. I started every game on varsity, but I was a role player for sure, like I kind of have my role. And I did that my junior year, like the team became on and that we won our first st AID championship. So that was really my first experience of winning a school championship. Like I lost in sixth grade, I lost in seventh grade. I'm lying. I did win in eighth grade, but we didn't have in my city. We didn't have like a tournament, so you have like twelve regular season games and the best record won a championship. So it wasn't like you actually had to go win a championship.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: And so that was my first experience sixteen of truly winning a championship. You wanted like an AU tournament, but like really winning a real championship.
Speaker 3: That's what I was doing at sixteen.
Speaker 2: It's like you were manifesting your life in the future, you know what I mean, Like all those shifts.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: So speaking of AAU, I know a lot of the guys that have interviewed have told me really cool stories about when they were playing AAU. They were able to play against other NBA players and create really special bonds with these future guys that they were going to continue to have a career with. Do you have any guys like that that you've just been friends with since you were really young.
Speaker 4: I know I have a few guys that I've played against since I was young. I was actually on Instagram the other day Manny Harris, who played with the Cleveland Cavaliers. He played with the Los Angeles Leakers for a short amount of time. Manny Harris grew up in Detroit, Michigan, and Manny I remember growing up like as a young kid, like fifth and sixth grade, seventh grade, We're coming from saging On, small city. We go down, we play those guys from Detroit, and like, you get a toe different feel from who we play back at home, you know.
Speaker 3: And Manny was one of those players.
Speaker 4: He was absolutely incredible, and he used to destroy us when we were younger, and then we played against each other in the state championship of high school.
Speaker 3: He went to Michigan. I went to Michigan State, And so I would say, if there.
Speaker 4: Was one guy that I remember from that I remember playing against from elementary on through college and even in the NBA. That guy for me and who was like motivation for me growing up because we couldn't He played for the Cobras when we were growing up. We could not beat them, and so it was always motivation for me to try to beat him.
Speaker 3: So I think I'd say the one guy.
Speaker 2: For me was man here, okay, and do you think you know? I know we talked a little bit about Michigan State, like did you come out of the woman You were like, I'm going to go to Michigan State like that, how did that go down?
Speaker 4: So ironically, my aunt played at Michigan State. And I'm born in nineteen ninety old. The fact that you think nineteen ninety is old.
Speaker 2: I was born in two thousand and seven, so you know.
Speaker 4: I remember two thousand and seven like it was yesterday. I graduated high school in eight But the fact, like I get laughed at by people for being born in the nineties and I'm at the very beginning of the nineties, and the fact that you think that it's old, it is just mind bodying to me.
Speaker 3: But Michigan State. My aunt went to Michigan State.
Speaker 4: I think in like ninety three, ninety two, ninety she was there when Steve Smith was there, so maybe ninety one ninety two somewhere in there, I would go down like and we would go see her play. I had been to my aunt's dorm, which in full circle moment ended up being the dorm that I also lived in when I got to Michigan State. But I used to be terrified as Party. Loved to Michigan State, loved the green.
Speaker 3: And white, creepy, terrified of s party.
Speaker 4: I go to these games. I was also the kid that was terrified of Chuck E Cheese like, and so I would go to these games see my aunt, and I thought that was absolutely incredible. I would always say then like I'm gonna go to Michigan State. I'm gonna go to Michigan State. Then you start ninety eight, ninety nine, two thousand, I am eight nine, ten years old and the Flintstones matteen, Clees, Morris Peterson, Charlie Bell, Antonio Smith, Jason Richardson from Saginaw.
Speaker 3: They're playing at Michigan State.
Speaker 4: They win a national championship in two thousand and so for me growing up as a young kid, and I remember I can always place Michigan State from when I was three, four years old, and then to see them at ten years old winning.
Speaker 3: The National Championship. I thought that was everything. Flint. Flint, Michigan is twenty minutes away from sagan On.
Speaker 4: Jason Richardson being from saganaw to watch those guys and be like, Wow, they're on it. They're playing in the National Championship, They're being Florida in the National che I want to go to that school. And me and my brother from that time it was like, yeah, we're gonna go to Michigan State.
Speaker 2: Yeah on Michigan.
Speaker 4: Though. You know what's funny, I this is gonna get you going in the state of Michigan. You grow up, you're you're a Michigan fan, or you're a Michigan State fan. As I'd imagine in LA you're the U C, l A or USC. Most people maybe not you Sloan because you pick your own teams, like you didn't picked the Lakers and pick the Warriors, but you usually pick one of those schools. And so for us, it's like all right, Michigan, Michigan State. Michigan State is a no brainer. Like the colors are better, Like the school is better, the coach is better, the program is better, you know, like it's time is though it's a hall of fame.
Speaker 3: Nobody can stand that but I.
Speaker 4: And then then, like I said, it was also something that I could see though at a young age and say, oh, those guys are like men, Like they come from a similar place that I that I come from.
Speaker 3: And so and then I'm not gonna lie. I like teams that win.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is football, but like eleven and oh, you know, like this.
Speaker 3: Year, but like they were still in signs and you know.
Speaker 2: Like okay, so you're gonna okay, so you're a you're a believer in the steeling.
Speaker 4: I mean it's obvious clear as day, and everybody's like, oh you know, they they still signs, everybody still.
Speaker 3: But you can't be that egregious, like to place.
Speaker 4: Someone on the other sideline of another team dressed up as their coach.
Speaker 3: Do we really want to talk about them being came.
Speaker 2: Out that Michigan State did the same thing. You would deny it though, right.
Speaker 3: No, Michigan State is going through their fair share of.
Speaker 2: Ok so you're gonna allow them, Okay, So you're just you're.
Speaker 4: Fair mich But I think you also have to be fair, like you can't. You can't just kind of say, oh, they accepted this, were sweeping it under rugg like you still gotta be fair to people.
Speaker 3: But that was I mean, that's that's some intense signs stealing.
Speaker 2: It's a little crazy, for sure, and it definitely does not give a good message to anyone else out there. Like, it's also a school, you know, like people go there like if I was a Michigan student now, like the football teams cheating, Like I don't know what's happening in those classes.
Speaker 4: You know, well, you know, this is also a school that really prides themselves on trying to make us went to Michigan State for like we're done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know.
Speaker 4: It's just I think it's pretty ironic that they're so smart and they had caught like this, like.
Speaker 3: Badly, like branhanded.
Speaker 4: Real, it's a little ironic to those of us that they try to they try to make feel less than I'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I feel like you almost what's really cool about you is that, in a way, you've been an underdog for so long and you just continuously continuously prove people wrong, right, And I'm curious being a second rounder does that Do you think that that's shaped who you are now?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Do you do you remind yourself constantly like that many teams passed up on me, and yet I was this good. You know, I am this good for.
Speaker 3: A long time.
Speaker 4: For a long time, I will remind myself that because to your point, I was the underdog. And you know what I've tried to learn throughout my journey is I was the underdog for a very long time. I'm no longer the underdog, and I think I think it's very important that you can identify those stages because the mentality that you have to have as an underdog. If you have that same mentality and you're not the underdog, it's distasteful. And so for me, I've always tried to and like, don't get me wrong, it's hard to do because you go so long with this mindset of I just need to get it out the mud. I need to get it anyway I can. And you go so long with this mindset and then you get to a space where the world no longer view you that way. And that's when it gets interesting, because when you're the underdog, the world is rooting for you and they want to see you do well. Everybody loves a good underdog, everybody loves a good Cinderella story, and so it's all fine and Danny the moment they no longer see you as the underdog, where now they say, oh, well, what I think of him is this. I no longer view him or her as this.
Speaker 3: This is where I placed him at.
Speaker 4: And that's when it starts to get interesting because again, those same things that you did as an underdog, now that they no longer look at you that way, it's not viewed totally different.
Speaker 3: And so I think, for me.
Speaker 4: An interesting adjustment that I had to make, and I must be honest, you still like it's a never ending thing, like you never really get to the space of life.
Speaker 3: I'm not the underdog.
Speaker 4: I never do underdog things like there are still times where you do those things because it was such a part of you for so long, you know, And so I think just identifying when you're no longer the underdog is as important as having the underdog mentality when you need it.
Speaker 2: And what advice do you think you would give sixteen year old Dre to be like in that time when I mean you said you played freshman basketball as a freshman and then you were a role player your sophomore year on varsity. But what would you tell that sixteen year old kid, like, I'm a four time NBA champion, Like, what do you think you would think?
Speaker 4: Think? I think what I would tell that kid is I would tell him the things that he need to understand about the journey along the way, because you go through so much on this journey, and some of the things you go through with people, and some of the things you have to go through alone.
Speaker 3: And it's.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's very it's very interesting because what you end up realizing is so many people can't do it, Like, so many people can't walk through those things alone or walk through those things with somebody and the one, but the but the very few. Like it's it's a reason it's only four hundred and fifty guys in NBA, like, because the few that can go through those things, the few that can come out on the other side of that are the ones that you see and they make it and you know the world knows them and you know the world can appreciate their craft.
Speaker 2: I think there's one anomally to that, and that's Patrick mccau because, like, you can't win three championships in like your three years in the league and then just like dip and then be like I did it, you know what I mean, Like I really went through it, you know.
Speaker 3: One percent.
Speaker 4: But even that, like I think, like I love Pat by the way, like Pat was my teammate, we won two championships with one championship together, we won one championship together.
Speaker 2: I think you want too and then you want to one here.
Speaker 3: One with the raptions, okay, but but Patrick.
Speaker 4: Is an anomaly, and I think it's a little different feeling, right, Like you're such a basketball fan, you'll remember that.
Speaker 3: I think I.
Speaker 2: Loved Patrick McCaw. I was like ten years old and I was like, that is the most beautiful man I've ever seen at ten years old. Let him know, Like I think.
Speaker 4: Uh, I think with Patrick, you didn't look at the way the career ultimately ends up panning out. And I think if there were a lot of things that Patrick would change, I think, but there's also things that along my journey that I was yeah, you know, and so I just think, uh, and looking back at the sixteen year old and saying, what what that has to be? Along the way, you just have to understand the steps of the journey because it's it's it's brutal. There's times where you want to quit, and I think it's it's okay.
Speaker 3: To fill those feelings, right, Like, we go through it.
Speaker 4: And as a basketball player, you're taught as an athlete, you're taught like, no, you just gotta keep going, keep going, like get through it, keep going, and.
Speaker 3: That bils you out to be a certain type of way.
Speaker 4: But I think in going through it, you have to understand that, like try not to ride the roller coaster because it's and by the way, it's still a roller coaster. Like I'm thirty three years old, I'm playing at the highest level you can play.
Speaker 3: And it's still a roller coaster. You know.
Speaker 4: But as you get older, as you've been in it, you learn like that, I can't ride.
Speaker 3: This roller coaster.
Speaker 4: Like sometimes you experience the highest of highs and you experience the lowest of lows, and to ride that wave the entire time, it's impossible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a mental game too, one hundred.
Speaker 4: So that's what I would just tell the sixteen year old men, is like, okay, great, there's four championships, there's these things in college. There's these things in high school in the conference. Don't ride away, don't like just do not ride away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So now I want to move on because I've been so lucky. One of the privileges of my life has been to get to know you. And I think what I think is so special about you is the way that, even though it is so many you are probably such a god right, so untouchable, we feel like we know you right, Like you make your opinion known. You make who you are known to everyone, which I think is so special, especially as a kid, because you know, I'm not going to name names, but there's people out there where I admire them, but I don't know them, you know. And with you, I think that people really understand who you are. People know your opinion, which is so cool, Like you know, you really got it. You have to use your voice, and so I know you. I think the world knows you, but I want to get to know Sloan knows Dre a little better. All right, What was the most memorable play of your career?
Speaker 4: The most memorable play of my career, I would have to say is as memorable as it is. I can't recall the exact years, either twenty seventeen or eighteen, who were playing against the Portland Trailblazers.
Speaker 3: And Damian Liller gets the ball on the wing.
Speaker 4: After we turn the ball over, Clay turned the ball over and Damian Lilla gets the tracks the ball down. He gets the ball on the wing. If you know, Damian lillar like, you better get out there. He's shooting it. So I run out there and I take this shot away and then no Avan is coming running down the court. He hears no advante and I circle back around to the rim and I just go vertical. And when I realized it, I'm like, oh man, I'm dunked on Because I.
Speaker 3: Circled, I'm right under the rim.
Speaker 4: This dude got a full he has a full head start coming downhill at me, and I gotta jump straight up and go vertical. And I just jumped and went vertical and I got the block. That to me, I would say was the most play. Like I had a great series that series, but that play, like I felt like I locked their whole offense down myself, and that play was like a microcosmo.
Speaker 2: That is what I always say. My dad and I talk about this all the time where sometimes you'll I'll watch your highlights and people don't understand that you stop the whole team by yourself. Like that's a really hard thing to understand because you're like, oh, You're like, oh no, you know they just threw the wall out of bounce and you're like no, no, no, no, no, dream on one hundred percent force that, whether it was mental, whether it was physical, Like if you really watch those highlights every single time something happens, like I swear your name, your fingerprint was on there, it is true. And I also think that is the same with Gary Payton the second big shout out, that's my guy. I love him so much. And I just noticed this. I mean, every time the other team messes up, I'm like, it was either Gary or Drey.
Speaker 4: I definitely appreciate it. And and reality is it's like, in order to do what we do on the defensive end, I always say people people don't value or approach the defensive end the same way that they do the offensive and the same way. You have to have spacing on on offense. You have to have one defense, like and there's so many little nuances to where if one guy isn't on the same page, it all falls down, you know. And so I do understand the importance of like having everybody on the same page and trying to lead that. But as far as defense goes, like again, just like offense, there's things that you want to get to as a defender, there's things that you want to get to when you understand what they're trying to get to. And I think for me as as just always trying to be a step ahead of the play, knowing like, oh man, they want to get there with if I can get to that spot before they get there, it throws off the entire time and.
Speaker 3: Of their play.
Speaker 4: And that's and that's what I try to do and and and focus on. And I try to cause the same havoc for opposing offenses as great offensive players cause for opposing defenses.
Speaker 2: For sure. And on the topic of defense, as obviously the defensive player of the year, can you give me two defenders currently in the NBA that are just extremely underrated?
Speaker 3: Well A Sloan knows alone.
Speaker 4: And I feel like everyone always says I feel like everyone always say this guy is underrated. And I think the reason everyone always says he's underrated is like because he doesn't have a Defensive Player of the Year. He hasn't been on as many all defensive teams for as good of a defender as he is. And it's Drew Holliday. Drew Holliday is like I was watching the game the other day, Al Horford went out, Porzingis was out, like not playing at night.
Speaker 3: Al Horford goes out the game and like.
Speaker 4: Boston's matchup, Like you can tell in their shoot around in their game that the matchup is now Drew Holliday and Joe l Embiid And yeah, they're throwing the double team. But if you know anything about defense, Drew has to keep embating a position for or the double team to be able to get there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Drew is outsized by Joe.
Speaker 4: L and b by at least one hundred pounds, at least at least six inches, probably more. And he's just holding his.
Speaker 2: Own Me and Drew and absolutely facts.
Speaker 4: And by the way, one of the like Joel is an incredible player, like MVP. One of the most impressive things about that is Joel's a dog. Joel will embarrass you if he can. He will go right at you him. It wasn't like he saw Drew and it was like I smell blood, And I think that is one of the most incredible things, Like when it's no better feeling as a defender, when you're like, say, I'm running up and my guy's going to set a screen and the guards like, nah, man, you get out of here, bring that guy up, And as a defender, you just feel accomplished because it's like, oh, he don't even want to face me right now. And so I think Drew is one and the second one is an underrated defender. I think the second one is Anthony Davis.
Speaker 2: Really okay. Also for the real ones out there also a slow nose alum to like a certain extent. I did like a cute little interview with him, but it was like a minute but with the help of Dre, I know Adie will be sitting in that chair one.
Speaker 4: Day, absolutely. But ad Ad is a is. Ad can switch onto a guard and keep a guard in front of him if he needs to. He can play in the drop and he's one of the most devastating players playing in a.
Speaker 3: Guarden, picking and rolling and drop.
Speaker 4: He's a versative defender, Like you can put ad in helpside, and you put him in help side and he'll cover the whole week side up. You put him in the action, he can guard the action, no problem. So uh very My second one would be Anthony.
Speaker 2: Davis crazy that they were teammates, you know, like that New Orleans team.
Speaker 3: Is special, we beat them.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you're more special. So one clip of mine that went viral on TikTok was I was talking to Drew and I asked him, I said, you know, I also agree that I think Drew's a very underrated defender. And I said, it's such a talented defender yourself. Who's someone that you've guarded that probably the outside world doesn't realize how difficult it is to guard them. And he said. Bobby Portois and all these people were like, why didn't you say Steph Curry? And we were like, the question is underrated, Like people need to listen to the context. And I think, like you were saying earlier, like there's four hundred and thirty guys plus in the NBA, Like I mean, every kid has played basketball at one point in their life, and four hundred and thirty around that number guys make it to the league. These guys are special, even if they're not Steph Curry. They could drop sixty on anyone's head that's not in the league, you know, and like, who's a guy like that to you that you're like, people don't understand, but he's good.
Speaker 3: Every guy in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Okay, every guy.
Speaker 4: Though, I always tell like, you know, people see guys in the NBA and they're like, oh man, that guy suck and to your points, like that guy that you thinks up will destroy you so badly, Like you have to like you just there's a certain level of player that you have to be the player. Then yeah, Now, don't get me wrong. I know you probably saw like pg's podcast where PG and Tomorrow was talking about guys in the NBA that suck. Now that's to an NBA level, Like there are some guys in the NBA that you don't quite feel should be here. But that doesn't mean Joe Bloke can just beat them at basketball, Like, no, they'll destroy Joe Blow. However, there's I always say that there's guys like everyone has a guy or two in the league where when you play that guy, he causes you fits like nobody tomorrow, but it's the guy that no one would expect, Like I have a couple of people and it just shows you how good they actually are.
Speaker 3: One was TODJ. Gibson. For me, TODJ. Gibson.
Speaker 4: I played against Todge Gibson as a freshman in college. We played against him and Demargar Rose and they were at USC ron Lewis. They had enough Daniel Hackett. We played them in the second round, I think the first or second round in the NCAA tournament in Minneapolis, and Goran Suton got in foul trouble. Another one of our big men got in foul trouble, and so I had to go in the game and.
Speaker 3: Guard Tashe Gibson.
Speaker 4: If you remember anything about Todge Gibson at USC, he was a problem. And I'm garden TODJ. Gibson, and I go in and I do an incredible job. All our upper classmen is in foul trouble and I.
Speaker 3: Caused fits for TODSH Gibson.
Speaker 4: And that was the end of Todge Gibson's career because he didn't goes on and go to the NBA.
Speaker 3: I stay, I finish out my next three years of college. He goes on to the NBA.
Speaker 4: When I get to the NBA, I now have to guard Taje Gibson. At this time, Todash Gibson's in Chicago, and I remember vividly my second year Jermaine O'Neill, one of my OG's on the team, and we're playing Chicago and I'm trying to guard Tage Gibson and he hit me with an up and under boom, step through bucket, shimmy shake bucket, and the game goes on. And now the only way I can get on the court my first year and a half was to stop somebody. And I am like, I can now get a stop on this dude. So I tell Jermaine O'Neill it is one of the very few times in my career, really, the only one that I can really point to why I actually got Yo. I need you to switch with me, like I'm gonna take your match up. You gotta go go. I cannot stop this guy.
Speaker 3: One of them was.
Speaker 4: Toash Gibson, and then the other guy that no one would ever guess, incredible player that give me fits. I actually have the.
Speaker 3: Honor of being a teammate with him.
Speaker 2: Now, is it a slow nose alone?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, but maybe he will be one day. Okay, Dario sorrye wow, Okay, he is a silent killer.
Speaker 4: He would give me fits no matter if he was at Philly, Minnesota, Phoenix.
Speaker 3: Okay. See, Dario Sarge every time I played against him would give me a fit.
Speaker 4: And it's like if you just go and you tell someone like they're like, yo, who's the guy in the league like that you struggle with the guard? No one would ever guess that I'd be like Dodge Gibson and Dario Sarge.
Speaker 3: And that just goes to show you how good guys Arena.
Speaker 2: Do you tell Dara.
Speaker 3: That I have not but he'll figure it out now.
Speaker 2: But then, like you know, that's a really I guarantee that that shoots up his self esteem a little bit.
Speaker 3: Darrio's my guy. I love Dario.
Speaker 4: He's incredible teammates have but I don't like sharing my weaknesses with people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm really glad to see this is the thing, Like I get to bring this out of you, you know what I mean. It's good to talk about your emotions. So m hmm. Okay, So Draymond, when I first met you, you talk to me a lot about positivity and how the idea of what I do that differentiates me from other people and you as well. Is the idea of speaking positively because a lot of what the NBA media is is it's asking people, Oh, you know, who's a player in the league that annoys you?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: And like, what's the purpose of that question?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Like, yes, you can probably get a lot of likes on that, but it's not I mean, at the end of the day, who has that helped?
Speaker 4: You? Know?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: That hasn't improved anyone's life really, And so I decided that I wanted to, you know, create a segment where instead of that, I basically asked those questions in just a way, nicer way, okay, and instead of the player in the league who annoys you the most? Who is your favorite player? You know? Stuff like that. So I want to I want to talk about that a little bit with you, and I want to start off talking about Clay and Seth the Splash bros. I mean, you guys have been through thick and thin together and the world knows how incredible they are. But is there something specific that we don't see behind the scenes that makes both of them so uniquely special?
Speaker 4: I think, I think something that people don't get to see with Stephan Clay is how competitive they are. You know, you don't win at the rate that we've won with guys that aren't competitive. And you know, because they shoot the ball the way they shoot the ball, because they play with the flash that they play with. I've seen so many teams and guys make the mistake of thinking, Oh, I'll just bully him, I'll just get physical with him, and like.
Speaker 3: It'll be no problem.
Speaker 4: And they run up against those guys and they quickly realize, like, ah, what that.
Speaker 3: Approach doesn't necessarily work to me?
Speaker 4: The most like two of the greatest shooters ever that we've ever seen. In my book, the two greatest shooters we've ever seen, their number one attribute, their number one skill is not their shooting. Their number one skill is their competitive nature. Wow, And that's something that doesn't get any credit. No one ever says. But Klay Thompson is one of the fiercest competitors I've ever seen. No one ever says Steph Curry is one of the most competitive guys I've ever seen. Did you see him in this moment? Did you see how he stood up in that moment? No one ever talks about that because the shots so beautiful. Yeah, but that's the reason behind the four championships. It is not the shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that. And now that we're moving on from Stephan Clay, you know, they were people that people understand why they're amazing. But can you tell us something incredible about a young Warrior that you've been able to play with in the past few years, maybe instead of sharing something new like you shared Stephen Clay, something maybe that we just haven't been able to see yet, but that we will see about a young guy and the Warriors.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: Is I think we've had quite a few young guys over the last few years, but I can speak about the ones that that we currently have. I think when I look at the Warriors, the Warriors are in good hands. When you look at young guys like BP, Brandon Potjemski, Trace Jackson Davis, like those are guys that are coming to the NBA right now and they're ready to play right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, And.
Speaker 4: That's how we were coming in to them. Like when we came in, we were ready to play. It wasn't like, oh, you need two years, you need three years to try to figure like yeah, you still had to figure things out for sure for the next two three years, but you can put us in the game right away and we be just fine. And those are the rookies that we have right now, and I think they are incredible. The energy that they bring to the team absolutely amazing. And I think, like BP, that kid is like a gamer. You just put him in the game. He figured out. And by the way, we realize that playing this summer and like we're playing pickup and we're getting together for like we got together for a little team mini camera and you're like, yo, no.
Speaker 3: This dude is like he's gonna play. And so I can appreciate.
Speaker 4: Those guys, and I don't think the world has gotten a chance to really see how good those young guys are and what they will be for this organization. You got young guys like Jonathan Kaminga and Moses Moody. Kaminga has no clue how good he is, yeah, And I think that's so incredible because he believes he's good. It's like a weird thing. He doesn't have a clue of how good he is. But he actually he's a confident kid, so he believes he's good.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It's not even that he doesn't have the right level of confidence because he is as confident as they come. Ok, but he doesn't know how good he is yet, because he's still figuring it out right, Like he's still figuring out Oh man, I got this.
Speaker 3: Smaller guy on me.
Speaker 4: I don't need to speed up and go faster him. I need to slow down and just get him to the spot I want to get to. Now, I can just raise up over and make the game simple, you know, more easy for myself. And so when I say Kaminga doesn't like he has the confidence, but he doesn't know how good he is, it's just because he hasn't even really tapped into yet all of the things that he's capable of tapping into. That for someone who's been in for twelve years, I see, Oh, he's going to get to this and he'll figure that out.
Speaker 3: The game will slow down for him in this area.
Speaker 4: He'll do that. And absolutely special. Moses the most professional guy I've ever been around. Next to Kavon Looney. When you're talking about a young guy who coming in and just gets it, gets how to work, gets how to how to carry themselves. Moses is one of those special people that like you look back into an organization thirteen years from now, and you're like, man, he's just been there the entire time, and that's because they want to have him around, like he's great for your team. And then obviously none of that matters if you can't play. And he continues to grow as a player, shooting, competing one of the best winging offensive rebounders in the NBA.
Speaker 2: With as much knowledge and experience that you have in this league, do you feel responsibility to take a guy like Jonathan Kaminga under your wing and you're like, I just know he can be that much better? Do you feel that responsibility? Were like, I want to let him know this. I want to help him become that good.
Speaker 4: That's something that I rode that I try to really take on this mentoring young guys. I'll never forget my rookie year. One of our assistant coaches, his name is Pete Myers. Pete told me two things that will always I would always keep with me forever.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 4: Number one, Draymond, you get paid. If you ever fortunate enough to get paid in this league, you get paid for the next young guy to get paid.
Speaker 3: So oftentimes you see like.
Speaker 4: Guys like, oh man, that guy got this, I need to do that or like, and it's like, no, actually, like, if you think about the lifespan of the league, when one gets paid, it only makes it better for the next person, you know. And so he told me that, and then he also would say to me, Draymond, you owe it to the game to lead a game in a better place than it was when you found it. And what that meant to me. The only way to do that is to give the game back to the younger guys so that they can then take that to another level and give it to the next young guy. And that's how we keep this thing going. That's how we keep it growing, that's how we continue to feed our families better than any of us could ever imagine we would be able to do playing the game with basketball. And so I think those are a couple of principles that I stand by. And what's a absolute byproduct of that is mentoring young guys because I think it's important to lead a game in a better space than it.
Speaker 2: Was when I got for sure. And speaking of that mentorship process, what I've loved to see and what's been so fun for me is to follow accounts like sports Center, next right, and to see the mini Lebron's right, and the many Carlos Boozers, and the many Gilbert Arenas's and all these guys where their sons are. You know, many Carmelo Anthony's and like their sons are continuing to like build on their legacy. And obviously everyone knows you have a son. He's so adorable. But do you also I know, like you said, you have feel responsibility to guide the guys in the league, But have you ever found yourself talking to some players sons about what they can do to really make it to the next level.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't necessarily say talking to other guys' sons about making it to the next you know they have that. I think one thing that I do get a lot of pleasure out of is just talking to kids in general about making it to the next level. But I think, you know, it's it's it's kind of a phenomenon in the NBA of seeing NBA players children coming to the NBA and having success. But when when when I when I look at that phenomenon that's largely driven by the success of Stephan Clay because you see these these guys at a young age with fathers, their their sons of NBA players and you actually see them become superstars. See, those are one of the few that you know, you've seen guys come into the NBA.
Speaker 2: Are a team literally full of Trace Jackson Davis's dad played in the league, Andrew Wiggins. Obviously Stephan Clay is there of course.
Speaker 4: Champion and the Superstars as well. But I think like that, like that's largely driven by a success of Stephan Clay because it's like, oh, these guys dads were in the NBA and you see the growth and like the progress of those guys and so I think, you know, they don't get enough credit for that, but that's that's a check mark on your list, as is an All Star parents, like cause it's changing NBA and now we're starting to see more and more kids coming to the NBA. And like for me, like you mentioned DJ, Like I would love to see DJ playing the NBA. I think that's dope, But I'm not I'm not the parent who's gonna push him, Like, Yo, I want you to play basketball. I think you should like if he wants to play basketball on Marlon right, and I'm Marlin gonna help you on Marlin helping GUIDs you. But I don't want I never want my son to think, Man, my dad played basketball.
Speaker 3: I gotta play basketball. I don't like that.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that view as we know, Like the name of this show is Sloan Knows, right, So Sloan knows your game and I do, Dre. I you don't understand, Like every day after school whatever, I'm always reading random stats, like I follow every single weird basketball account to find like the most random facts about everyone. When I watch Warriors games, I lay out jerseys, you know, to manifest like I'm all in. So I do know your game, but what I want to know is do you So I'm gonna ask you some trivia about yourself and I'd like, I'd like to know what you have to say about it. I know that I just interviewed DeAndre Jordan and he actually beat Chris Paul in this game and texted him about it, and I think like it got a little chippy, like everyone was very like, so this is a thing, Like people are very interested in this. So okay, I just want to let you know that to like bring out the competitive signing you.
Speaker 4: Okay, what's the scoring because I need to understand.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh wow, Okay, so this is a prime example of Draymond's competitiveness. Okay, so there is Okay, let's see how many questions there are. There's six seven, Okay, there's seven questions, and I am the greater. So like it makes me really annoyed, right when like a teacher is like, oh, like you got half credit on this math question but not the other one, And I'm like, why did it really matter? Like where I put the multiplication sign right, So I'm grading it, okay, And I like you, so I may give you half credit. I may not. Let's see, so you'll get full credit. But then also like some of them are really hard or your answers could be close, and I'll consider, but you can't bribe me, okay, okay, Like I'm I'm like tough, Like you can't get through this, so like I don't, I don't care what you have to say. It's gonna be rough.
Speaker 3: And one last question, what was Deandre's score and what was Chris pauls scor?
Speaker 2: I think DeAndre got like like something like I don't know the exact but like I need to start like actually keeping count of this but it was like really bad, like it was like two and like three and a half, like it was not it was not impressed, is it really?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Let's see, Draymond, what was your high school GPA?
Speaker 4: My high school gpa? I finished high school with a three point two GPA.
Speaker 2: Three point four. Okay, already one question wrong, but I I'll consider my scoring on that.
Speaker 3: It's four.
Speaker 2: Tough.
Speaker 3: Wow, I did finish with a three point four?
Speaker 2: Are you proud of yourself knowing that that's better than you thought?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 4: It's actually better than I thought. But it's good because I bombed my my fresh my second semester freshman year, I had to go to like summer school to correct a couple of grades.
Speaker 3: So it is good to know that I got it back to the three point four.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll consider the scoring in my head if I'm gonna give you because half credit on that. Next, out of the sixty members of the twenty twelve NBA draft, how many played in the NBA, And then, for a bonus point, how many of them were All Stars?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is not easy. I'm a very this is a tough test.
Speaker 3: How many actually played in the NBA?
Speaker 2: Yes, out of sixty.
Speaker 4: This is interesting because I can't recall if Royce White ever played a regular season game.
Speaker 2: That's the thing, right, It's didn't not counting preseason, it's counting an actual game.
Speaker 3: All right. So one.
Speaker 4: One through thirty all played, except I'm not certain if Royce White, Royce White actually played a regular season game, so I'm gonna put an ashtraight by him. But one through thirty, one through thirty definitely played. Thirty one, thirty two, thirty three, thirty four, thirty five, or truly thirty six, thirty seven, thirty eight.
Speaker 1: I did not think you were like this, But okay, forty one, ty Sean Taylor, what forty two?
Speaker 2: Well, you can name every single per I can.
Speaker 3: Still name them for sure.
Speaker 2: That is crazy.
Speaker 4: We had quite a few guys from our draft actually play, so how many.
Speaker 2: Actually it's a high number.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's like fifty eight out of the sixty guys.
Speaker 2: That was insane, though, that okay, you get you get half credit for that. Like see, when the teacher wants you to show work, that's exactly what you did.
Speaker 3: You asked it.
Speaker 2: I love it. Are you going for the bonus question of how many of them were All Stars.
Speaker 3: How many of them were All Stars? Let's see.
Speaker 4: Number one pick was an All Star, Anthony Davis, Brad Bill, myself, Andre Drummer. M. That's for Chris Middleton.
Speaker 2: The one that you're missing you spoke about earlier in this episode.
Speaker 3: I mean think that's the top team.
Speaker 2: Is you're running out of times?
Speaker 3: Oh it's a time limit.
Speaker 2: No, that is a hint.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Dollar yeah, Okay, that was okay, you got so you've revived yourself from that one you got. You got the bonus point. You were drafted thirty fifth, who was drafted thirty fourth? And who was drafted thirty six?
Speaker 4: Thirty thirty six? Wait, thirty four let's see, So it was thirty one was Jeff Taylor, thirty two was Tomy Sadaronsky. Uh, thirty three and thirty four it's the same team, but it's Jay Crowder or Bernard.
Speaker 2: Yes, Jay Crowder crack like.
Speaker 3: But they were thirty three and thirty four.
Speaker 4: I always flipped them too because it's the same team, but it's.
Speaker 2: Like the same Yes, thirty six.
Speaker 3: Is wow, I'm a bombness, but I think it's Quincy Ace.
Speaker 2: No, it is all okay, do you want one? More guests, I do want one, Okay. His name is the name of a city.
Speaker 3: His name is the name of a city, and it's not Quincy Acy.
Speaker 2: Like a city. We're an NBA team place.
Speaker 3: A city that where an NBA team.
Speaker 2: And recently had a first pick, like last year had the first pick and draft that team. Ah, Orlando Johns correct, I helped you out so much on that that I am not giving you any points.
Speaker 3: I think it's still impressive that I can land.
Speaker 2: It is so impressive. It is so impressive.
Speaker 4: I played with Orlando Johnson USA, though, so that's kind of Orlando.
Speaker 2: This is sort of awkward. Raymond didn't remember. On February tenth, twenty seventeen, you had ten steals in a game, the sense steal set of Warriors record for most steals in a game since nineteen seventy four? Who had that record previously?
Speaker 3: I don't know the answer. I'm gonna guess mante ellis rick Berry?
Speaker 4: Oh the record the previous Ah, all right, I miss interpret.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, like, who's since? Like Rick Berry is seventy four.
Speaker 2: I mean, you do have to read the instructions better.
Speaker 3: I didn't get to read though I just listen.
Speaker 2: Well, you have to tell us.
Speaker 3: You gotta listen, learn to listen, listen to learn. I've messed that up.
Speaker 2: You were listed as six six today on like Google or whatever. What was your listed height in your final year at Michigan State?
Speaker 3: Six seven?
Speaker 2: So did you shrink? Like what happened there?
Speaker 4: They start hating on me when you said I'm getting old. They say you shrink when you get old?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, there it is.
Speaker 2: I hope that that does not happen to me, considering I'm five four, so if I shrink, I'd basically become Like really, that would be really bad.
Speaker 4: Problem is, like some someone in the NBA a few years ago like took it up on themselves, like we want to put everyone's real height, and like who tells.
Speaker 3: Their real height?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone's lying.
Speaker 3: No one tells their real height.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you know what, I'm sixty, I'm gonna say that I'm six feet It's fine. Ever, no one knows that's a stretch.
Speaker 3: Like you get a couple of inches, get a take like.
Speaker 4: Actually i'm six six, Like six seven is a stretch, but six seven school exactly six eighths a stretch?
Speaker 3: Six seven, I can get.
Speaker 2: Away with Draymond. You have two more questions, and I'm gonna put it upon us because I feel like we're both bad at this. We got to go fast, Okay, Okay, really fast? Okay, dreamond what is the total number of technical fouls you have been assessed in your career?
Speaker 4: That's impossible to know, teacher, Can I get? Can I give you a ball? Like that's a lot of student.
Speaker 3: You can give you a park figure.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's see. I mean you're twelve now, so that would be eleven years worth of text. I would saying.
Speaker 3: Sixteen lash year. I would say I definitely ninety two.
Speaker 2: That is very generous. So it's actually one hundred and sixty three. And it was one hundred and sixty three two weeks ago.
Speaker 4: That's so it may be one hundred sixty sixty three.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's your goal two hundred.
Speaker 3: I'll blow through that. I want sixty three.
Speaker 4: I mean you figure, I got four years, three years left on this contract.
Speaker 3: You can average me out at about I won't. I won't get to two hundred.
Speaker 2: Okay for me, I will not get this is the new media kindness.
Speaker 3: I will not You heard it here?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 3: Thank you so oh no, So that gives.
Speaker 4: Me about thirty, like forty texts last in your career.
Speaker 2: Who'll think about it?
Speaker 4: All right, God, that's tough.
Speaker 3: Okay, thirty one.
Speaker 2: You are my favorite Green? Okay, yeah, you're welcome. But how many players in the NBA currently have the name Green? And can you name them? Considering we're a little bit of a time crunch, I'm going to tell you currently it is five total? Can you name those? Five Greens? Meaning yourself and four others?
Speaker 3: Myself?
Speaker 1: Danny Green is not currently on an MBAs he was a week ago.
Speaker 2: Was a week ago. He is not currently now. I am very update with my statistics as you can see. Yeah, I told you this is not going to be easy.
Speaker 3: Jamichael Green isn't anymore.
Speaker 4: Nope, uh, Jalen Green correct, Josh Green from Dallas crracked.
Speaker 3: So that's what that's three me, Jalen Green, Josh Green.
Speaker 2: You're left with a player on Jalen Green's team, and then a player who is just drafted out of Northern Iowa.
Speaker 3: Jeff Green. And there's someone just drafted out of Northern You.
Speaker 2: Just totally ripped that from me. You sounded so smart when you said that You're like he was drafted out of Northern Iowa, Like you knew that. I said that one minute ago.
Speaker 3: But no, I don't know who that is drafted out of Northern Yes to.
Speaker 2: The Milwaukee Bucks.
Speaker 3: Oh that's the shooter.
Speaker 2: Okay, his name I don't really know.
Speaker 3: Is it Joe Green? Maybe? No?
Speaker 2: No, Okay, I'll give you a hint. It's like two letters, but it's like a like a I don't know what the word is, j R. Green or close. I'm just gonna give it to you a J.
Speaker 3: Green. All right. That's that's fair.
Speaker 2: Remember when you said before this that you were going to beat everyone. I don't think you got one question completely right, but I got all of the all of them partially credit. Okay, congratulations. I consider the scoring and I will let everyone know at a later time. But thank you very much Draymond for coming appreciated.
Speaker 3: These are tough questions. By the way, they are rapert fires. They're usually easy.
Speaker 2: No, not on slow nose. It is not easy on slow No. Thanks for listening to this episode of Slow Notes with Draymond Green. You can get links to my socials and see some fun behind the scenes action from Chase Center in the show notes, or just search slow Notes on Instagram, TikTok and YouTube. Remember that's Sloan with the me from jam Street Media.