Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hell that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edo Steak is that woo woof?
Speaker 1: And them and Tye welcome back to the soliburbo boys and girls when we are driven by Geiko. My name is ty Hilda Brandt. That fine gentleman over there in snowy and blustery and wintry but steer kind of cheerful. Yeah, Chicago, Illinois. Is Dan Rubinstein, sir? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good. I can't complain. Got a good night's sleep last night. Hit that wordle hard first thing around six am Central, nailed it in three tries. I know everybody cares. But the thing is, I'm trying to feed my brain, as are you. You're working out early. I try to do some crosswords early on. I want to be the best me because I'm about to evaluate with you a bunch of gentlemen trying to be the best versions of them elves for their teams and for their program. So I'm trying to do my part. Also, I'm quite hungry right now, and so if my blood sugar waxes and wanes during the show.
Speaker 1: That's why did we want to tell the story about me doing the fake wordle.
Speaker 2: You were doing fake wordles. Yeah, you downloaded a copycat app that was not at all wordle.
Speaker 1: I did not know that it wasn't an app. I didn't know it was a web app and not a phone thing, and so we had a bit of confusion this morning trying to figure out where we stood in the world universe, until you made it apparent to me that they needed to go to the weblink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fun it's a fun, fun little exercise, and I like that you can only do one a day and everybody's doing the same word and comparing notes, and you can compare like the green boxes or whatever. If you don't know what wordle is or you don't like wordle, I'm sorry, look it up or just move on fast forward. But it's not an original game. I was on the game show Lingo, which Wordle is a direct ripoff of, And that's okay because I enjoyed Lingo and I enjoy wordles, so I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: Well, we will at some point have a wordle themed episode if we can figure out exactly how to shoehorn that reference into the college football world. But in the meantime, for the next forty five to sixty minutes or so, you'll be here with us talking all things second year coaches. We'll get into that momentarily, tell you exactly what we've got in store before we go any further. If you like the show, subscribe, slash, follow anywhere you can find the podcast. If you can give us a rating or review. All that stuff really does help, especially now in the doldrums of the offseason where people who are out there they're college football fans. They don't know about us. Believe it or not, we've been around for a decade plus. People still don't know about podcasting or the solid verbal or they've got this college football itch that they need to scratch, and maybe we can help them do that. So let your friends know, rate, review, all that stuff. Follow along on social media. We're on all the platforms. We'd appreciate you following along if you haven't already. Reballers dot Com is also something that we will continue to water and feed throughout the course of this offseason. It's cold, there's not as much sunlight in the college football ether, but we're going to do our best to make that world grow. Just keep feeding the community with more content. We've got the Weekly Brew and a episodes. I read the first hand account the testimonial that we received on the website after we did our last episode. We have a lot of fun with those. We do them every Friday. We've got a bunch of other bonus stuff that is planned, So going out to verballers dot com and check out our updated, certified and premium Verballer tiers if you are ever so inclined to support the show. And last, but not least, we have a new solid giveaway. It is a signed Reggie Bush mini helmet. If you are like Dan and I, if you worship at the altar of Reggie Bush. Even if you're not an SC fan, it gives a damn. It's still Reggie Bush. He's a big part of why we're all college football fans. You can win a sign mini helmet. You just need to go through a few quick and easy and free steps to get your name in the hat and subsequently the hat in the ring. We will draw that victor on February the fourteenth, fittingly on Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: At Valentine's You got plans yet, Ty, Come on, you're a romantic.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: It's a different kind of year. I get that, I am, But.
Speaker 1: No, not not yet. Okay, we're about a month out. That's a level of planning that I don't know.
Speaker 2: Never too soon.
Speaker 1: If either you or I inherited from our parents.
Speaker 2: We'll do a Valentine's Day show. We will at some point.
Speaker 1: Will That is not the Valentine's Day I have in store? O?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should just record the show and play it for the solid wife Kate and sit silently on the couch, listening to yourself and pristine digital audio.
Speaker 1: You would look at that. Oh, I'm sure I love that. What is today's show?
Speaker 2: So today we are drafting humans who don't get drafted. That's not we're doing a redraft. But it's not really a redraft. It's sort of a new draft because we are drafting second year head coaches. Now we've already seen a couple fall by the wayside, at least a couple, and then we've seen one leave for a new job. Kaitlin de Borr, Right, So that's Fresno State to Washington and of course, Jimmy Lake and Nick Rolovich no longer employed by their the schools that hired them two years ago. So these are coaches that were put into extraordinary circumstances in that they took over in a very strange twenty twenty COVID year and had to make the best of things with some unforeseen obstacles as a head coach than twenty twenty one. Obviously much more normal. And we're going to go back and forth. We have a bunch of I think, bigger names to choose from. Oh yeah, and we're going to select the coaches, but I think we have to lay out some parameters of I mean, it's personal, right, it's why you're selecting this coaches, these coaches. We're gonna go back and forth. Of course, we are not forming squadrons of coaches. We're not forming a team, but just who we value and why because of the job they've done or the job that they appear to be doing and can do at their current place. How I'm choosing to look at this, and you can tell me if I'm wrong or whatever, but like I am looking at Okay, I'm trying to find the most average school. By the way, I'm watching you take a water break because you can feel me talking as much as I am. I don't know, And maybe this is a point of contention, a point of debate too, but like who is the most average school in that the upside is pretty high, Like if everything breaks correctly, they could win double digit games, but they've got a clunker of a year in them if things break exceedingly poorly across the board, with coaches, with injuries, with players not working out, with transfers, whatever. Like I looked about at twenty twenty one, and I looked for, like, okay, who are like the net like zero teams that forever point they put on the board they took off points per drive, is how I looked at it. And so there were teams like cal and Virginia and Louisville. So that's the kind of that's the gauge I'm going with, Like, Okay, who would I want to hire at a place like this to maximize not an elite place, but a place with potential to succeed on an interesting level.
Speaker 1: So this is all going to a place where you take Jeff Hathley number one overall, I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is where it's going you game this out.
Speaker 1: You know, you're all about the half, but who.
Speaker 2: Is that team? Who? What is that program? To you? We're just like, look, they're gonna go six and six or seven and five sometimes, but they get the right QB in there, they get a hot shot, young coordinator, they get their load up on transfers, and it all works out. They go nine to three, ten and two. Yeah, because like Louisville has been to a New Year six game, Virginia has been to a New Year six game, cal has not. But those were just some of the teams. And like Florida State had an offense and defense ranked in the sixties this year. But they themselves already have one of our second year coaches that's draft eligible, so I'm not gonna consider them in that conversation. They've also won a national championship. They're a step above in terms of stealing in terms of ceiling. So that's what I'm going with. Who can transform that kind of place into a maximizing place? More often than not.
Speaker 1: I think I am approaching it from the standpoint of, uh, I'm not. I'm not too far removed from what you're describing, right, You're you're taking a relative measure. You're looking at a coach, and you are saying, who is the right guy at the right time to get the most bang for the buck?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm in a similar spot. I am a little bit more enticed by the wind totals though, of course, and we have a couple instances like that. I'm sure they're gonna be like David Randa's gonna be on your list, Sam Pittman's gonna be on your list. Mel Tucker is going to be on your draftable list. These are guys who had pretty noticeable increases in win totals going from twenty twenty to twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: This is a very interesting crop of coaches.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and so I think that suys me a little bit more. To be honest with you, I don't know how I feel about Jeff Trailer. I know that Jeff Trailer did an awesome job with UTSA. I know he won five more games in twenty twenty one than he did in twenty twenty point yep. Is he the right guy that i'd want to pick for my team? Well, who's your team? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well that that's why I'm asking an imaginary team.
Speaker 1: I'm working through it as we go here.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can tell you some of the like the net like zero point zero ish teams that are like either had amazing offenses and terrible defense or we're just sort of average at everything, Like Miami was at point one. They had the number forty seven offense and seventy five defense. So if we're looking at Power five programs like Memphis is right there negative point one, three Texas Tech with a not so good defense, but the offense, even with injuries at quarterback, was pretty decent most of the year. West Virginia was right around there, Mississippi State at point two, Texas at point one, certainly Texas with more advantages, Oregon State at point one, Auburn right there at sixty two net rating net points per drive, So like, there are interesting programs in there that you're like, Okay, like, how do I fancy Jeff Trailer at Auburn for Miami? That kind of thing I think is worth thinking about.
Speaker 1: Okay, We've got a list here in front of us of all the coaches who were hired going into twenty twenty, twenty twenty notably called year zero by a great number of folks in college football media for obvious reasons, twenty twenty was the weird COVID year, not to say twenty one wasn't, but twenty twenty was far more uncertain and we had no idea what to expect. There were some teams I'm looking at, like Michigan State played seven games, it went two and five. Rady Hope went four and four for San Diego State. So it's not exactly comparing apples to apples when you look from twenty to twenty one. But we still have a pretty good idea based on what we saw this past season. Who truly improved versus who stayed stagged in in some cases, which schools took a step back. Yeah, why don't you make the first pick and justify my god, this entire crop coaches? Yeah, if you have your druthers, who are you taking first? Overall? Who's your guy for your team? It's a great question. It's a great question.
Speaker 2: My parameters are what have we seen, How do I feel in the moment, what do I believe they're ceiling to be? And do I see them being able to adapt and go with changes in college football and not be stubborn and just like try to stay a step ahead of the competition. Somebody that is That's what I look for in a coach, right, Okay, guys are transferring. I'm getting in on the transfer action. This is where offenses are going.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: I'm right there. I'm not afraid to flip things around. That's what I value. Yeah, my first overall pick I'm looking at. I'm loading up my draft board right now because of age, because of performance, because of sealing to me, because of what I believe where recruiting will go. You read me like a book. I'm going Dave Randa. Yeah, well number one Dave Randa, because I think he's going to continue to hire smart. I think he has been around the sport enough that his connections are pretty deep. Having coached what Utah State, Wisconsin, LSU. Now Baylor has the West Coast ties, made the change in offensive coordinator quickly, has the defensive background within the state of Texas. I think he is going to continue to do well. Now, he might not compete with Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A, and M on that level for recruits, but if we're dealing with this like Central Anonymous School, I think he has enough connections and he has enough of a vision that I'm going to go with a guy who went from taking a team that was kind of bad to a conference champion, a Power five conference champion in just a season. So I think there's there's proven stuff there. I think there is upside with recruiting. I'm going Dave Randa to spearhead my program. Of this list of coaches, we can go through the bank of available coaches as well. I don't know if people know these off the top of their head.
Speaker 1: We could, we could, but quickly on the Randa point, random went.
Speaker 2: And feel free to pick on it, like you know, nitpick my selection. No.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, Randa went two to seven, yeah, in twenty twenty last season. This past season twelve and two won the Big twelve. That's a pretty good turnaround. That's ten more games. You're not going to find a lot of coaches that can pull that one off. And I think what you alluded to is really the important point about Dave Randa. There are a lot of coaches that are stuck in their ways that they come to a place and they've got a system or an idea of a system, and they stick to it. That's not always a bad thing if it works. But what I think we saw that of Dave Randa in year one is that he was always willing to crumple it up and throw it at the waste basket. Yeah right, Larry Fedora, big name hired run the offense wasn't working when a drastically different direction. Fedora tried to do a little bit of everything. Grimes said, Jeff Grimes, who came over from BYU, he was much more simplistic in his philosophy, and he said, let's do a couple things really well. And that's what they did and it worked. David Randa caught hell for being too conservative on offense in twenty twenty, especially as it relates to things like fourth downs. He went for it a lot, a lot more this season. He read the internet in the off season. I don't know, but he took it to heart. He was a lot more concerned, a lot more aggressive, excuse me, when it came to moments like that, And I think it paid dividends. So clearly, if flexibility, if the willingness to kind of go a different to look at the landscape, figure out what's working, figure out what's not working, not have so much of an ego about you that you're stuck in your ways. Aranda is the guy, man, He's got to be the guy. He's gonna be a name. And I hate to say this for Baylor people, but it's true. They know it. He's going to be a name that every big job that comes open, either in college, if he continues on this trajectory, maybe even the NFL. You're gonna have to get used to hearing Randa's name in the same manner that you heard Matt Ruhle's name, because in such a short period of time, this turnaround story has been remarkable. So I'm jealous you got Randa here and pick one. There are other really good names that we can go through, but.
Speaker 2: It was not easy for me. You said you like had to be Randa. I don't think it has to be Rando like I think. I mean, the other two considerations I had for a picking number one overall would have been Mel Tucker and Sam pitt Pittman, right, Yeah, those are my other considerations. I think when you look at turnarounds, when you look at vision for programs, when you look at hiring, especially in the case of Sam Pittman, and the Barry otom higher Like, I just, yeah, the early returns on Arkansas and how competitive they are and what that program is looking like moving forward, and sam can be said from Mel Tucker for sure, especially on the recruiting front. It was not an easy decision. It came down to I suppose personal preference, and that's sort of what I went with. But yeah, like Arkansas got blown out a couple of times, I believe. Obviously Michigan State did against Ohio State. I don't think that's a defining characteristic of these guys. But when I went with what Baylor looked like this year, I thought to myself, you know what, I think that the uptick and recruiting is going to keep happening and they're just going to get better and better. We saw how we hit the portal daved Randa in year one. It was Apuika who came over from LSU to help anchor that defense up front. I don't know, I just what with my gut there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that brings it to my pick, right, Yes, I will go Mel Tucker. Okay, surprise, surprise, Yeah, you have to eleven and two. It's well documented how well this season went for Michigan State. That is an increase of nine wins from what he did in year zero, which was two to five. Mel Tucker, I think also showed that willingness to adapt. And we all know that the past defense was not what it should have been. This year it was awful, really bad. They got to get better. Still won eleven games. How did he do that? First off, he went out and he hit the transfer portal really hard. I mean really hard. Keep in mind, this is a guy who took over very late in the cycle after they had the retirement, right, so he comes in. He did the best he could in year one, but we always knew it was going to be slow going. With the benefit of a full offseason, he hit the portal hard. He brought in fifteen guys. He also was able to cobble together what I think is a pretty good offense. Right the Kenneth Walker the third transfer, paid huge dividends for him, and over the course of time Peyton Thornton came or Peyton Thornton excuse me came around. They were able to find ways to make this offense really potent in clutch situations. I think back to that Michigan game, right, They needed to get an incredible effort late in order to pull off that dub. They were able to do it. What I like about this team is how they were able to play hard week in a week out. They really played hard week in a week out. And you never expected a Michigan State team to take weeks off. They didn't. They didn't know. So I like that about him. I think it's meaningful that mel Tucker was one of the names that came up for some of the big openings came up, of course for the LSU jobs. You know, you can go around college football. Everybody was talking about Meltucker. So I also credit Michigan State for locking him up. They read the tea leaves. They knew that this could pretend actually be a very wild coaching carousel. They locked him up, gave him a ton of money, made headlines nine and that was it. Nine and a half million yep for mel Tucker. Big old booster came in, yep, nine and a half million. What are we what are we talking about here? But they had the foresight to do that, to lock him up. Yeah, And I just feel like there's nowhere but for me. It's hard to improve on eleven wins. But I do feel like there really truly is nowhere but up in terms of stability for this program. It was in a good place before, had maybe petered off a little bit under the previous regime, but now with this boost, I think they're going to continue to get the most out of their talent. Peyton Thorne, I think in your in year two for him as a starter coming up will be much improved. I like the direction of this program, So for me, mel Tucker's the answer here. He's a good recruiter as well, Like there's just so much to like about what this guy brings to the table. The fact that he would move on as quickly as he did frankly from Colorado a bummer for the Buffs, but another credit to the administration at Michigan State that they were able to see what he or what they thought he brought to the table and snag him real quick. So I like Meltucker a Lot's.
Speaker 2: Okay, So mel Tucker clearly a strong pick. Clearly has done a very strong job at Michigan State. The nitpick to me with mel Tucker, in my considerations, is leaves Colorado after a year, can recruit against him be like, look, guy, when he sees a better situation, he will leave. That's the problem. That's something right now, and that's not unique to mel Tucker. There's a lot of guys on this list who would do the same thing right if they found themselves in a situation they didn't love for whatever reason, and something new appeared, as the Michigan State job did. And all credit to Meltucker because of where that Michigan State team was at the end of the marked into by the way, because by the way, not Big Dave, not yet. Anyway, Big Dave will get his name in the hat for some of those other I don't know why I'm calling him Big Dave.
Speaker 1: But David Randa, David Randa, well, I know those conversations.
Speaker 2: But he had an opportunity, has been he had.
Speaker 1: An opportunity here, and he chose to stay at Baylor.
Speaker 2: Correct, he had opportunities. Meltucker had opportunities this past year. Obviously, the status of Michigan State football is in a higher place than the status of Colorado football. I look a little bit at Michigan State's scheduled this past year and the results when you look at the Nebraska game, when you look at, obviously the loss to purdueing Ohio State, when you look at the Indiana game that this wasn't necessarily it's not smoking mirrors. And I think good coaches win a lot of clunkers. I think you'd rather win your clunkers than lose your clunkers. I just didn't see Michigan State in control. I think the record is a little bit inflated, and that number that's associated with Meltucker and the Spartans right now is not necessarily representative of how strong that program is. On I look, the past defense was terrible. That said, this was the I looked it up. This is the number two most improved offensive unit in the country, and it's the number one Power five one in terms of points per drive going from twenty twenty to twenty twenty one. Kenneth Walker the explosive plays downfield in the passing game. It was a joy to watch. Yeah, I'm just not sold on Michigan State as a whole. As a this is a new era. We're back to being ten plus win Michigan State more often than not just because of the results, just because the lack of consistent strong wins. But I mean win is a win. Is a win, is a win is a win in Michigan State won for sure, and I think I am hopeful that further stability will be on the way. This is still very much a work in progress if we want to consider this truly year one from El Tucker. Yeah, it took a while to work some stuff out. We thought Anthony Russo was going to be the quarterback, remember that. Yep. No, I mean the cupboard was difficult with you know, the rocky lumbar already, Anthony Russo, Peyton Thorne like it. It was not a team where you looked at them and said, this is a team that's going to make big plays happen. And this is like they have explosion within them. Maybe in year three or something like that with a couple of recruiting cycles, but they have a quarterback of the future coming in I think from southern California. Brandon Huffman talked about him. Yeah, I think to look at Michigan State right now is to look at a program that is going to recruit potentially better than they ever have under Mel Tucker. I'm curious to see what those hires look like here and in year out and I'm curious to see now with an up Michigan, with Ohio State obviously going to stay where they are, Penn State, I think will be in a really good place. It's the sort of re establishing themselves as a team that can beat any of these teams any given week, like where they were in whatever it was twenty thirteen, fourteen, somewhere in there.
Speaker 1: I think effort is not to be undersold here. You're right that the record of eleven wins is built a little bit on sand because the second order wins says that this is an eight and a half nine win team. Sure, and so you know, you called out a couple of the games. There's a Penn State game, there's a Nebraska game. There's like three or four in.
Speaker 2: There that Penn State was in snow. You know, I'm willing to write off a little bit of that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, for sure. But point taken, and I think it's valid. My hope for Meltucker is that he continues to build upon the success because it was a success at eleven and two. Let me pivot. Then I will go back to you if you can make the next pick whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just going to say if you're one of those teams that I mentioned, right, Cal Virginia, Louisville, Miami. You're thrilled with Meltucker as your head coach. You will look at the moon with what mel Tucker would bring to your program.
Speaker 1: All right, So I'm looking. I see in the upper left hand corner of the video, which you can watch it for ballers dot Com, you've got snake. So is this a Snake draft?
Speaker 2: Am I up agains up to you? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think you should go again. I'll take Sam Pittman, do it. Sam Pittman's the obvious one. Now Here's what's not lost on me. Could you not make the same points against Sam Pittman that you could melt Tucker, Because certainly if you more difficult schedule, I think on the Arkansas side playing in the SEC, but I think if you look at their second order wins total in the same boat eight and a half nine win team, there were games throughout the course of the year, the Mississippi State one comes to mind, wins in the box score, but games where the team did not play particularly well. What I like about Arkansas and what I like about Sam Pittman. Recall back to what he did in your money at Felipe Franks. Felipe Franks was very good for Sam Pittman and Arkansas did a good job before he got hurt. This year, what he did with kJ Jefferson is what I think I'm most excited about because as we saw in the bowl game against Penn State, when in the first there was a lot that was not working for Arkansas and they were down a couple guys, I get it, but they relied on kJ Jefferson. They were able to rely on kJ Jefferson, and that to me is a big deal moving forward if you've got that guy right. We talked about it coming into this season, actually with Eli Drinkwitz, who I will not be drafting, and we could talk about, but it is such a different mindset when you feel like you've identified that quarterback that you can build around, versus still being in a state of flux. Right. We thought that Connor Beasilak was going to be that guy for Eli Drinkwitz that you know he's transferring now to Indiana. That culdarly did not work out.
Speaker 2: To be clear, Sam Pittman didn't recruit kJ Jeffers.
Speaker 1: He didn't recruit him but he he had the foresight to put him into a situation where he could succeed. Sure, yeah, and succeed he did. It was an incredible season for kJ Jefferson. He balled out big time. Yeah, big time. This is a program that I just felt has taken on to bleeps in pretty much every direction. They weren't always the team that was going to go out there and beat your brains in, but they were able to utilize, at least offensively, their talent at quarterback, their talent at running back, the talent at wide receiver in the best possible ways, and they were damn competitive in the SEC. They won nine games. They went from three to seven in twenty twenty to nine and four this past year. I mean, you can nitpick it if you want, but to do that in the SEC, especially for where Arkansas was, like even compared to Baylor, which you know, Baylor had its moments, but even compared to Michigan State, Arkansas was down and out. Man, he was down out taking that job and to do what he's done in such a short period of time is frankly maybe the best turnaround story in all of college football.
Speaker 2: I think the case for Sam Pittman as the best of this class is wronger than mel Tucker's because the degree of difficulty with which Arkansas operates playing in the SEC West, the degree of difficulty with transfers and being making Arkansas a destination. Not that Arkansas is a bad place, but just because of recent Arkansas results, you have to question, you like, what's going on here? As Bill c Likes mentioned, it's not always the coach, sometimes it's the school. So you're like, Okay, what is going on in Fayetteville for Sam Pittman to come into a situation recognize what needed help. I love when an offensive line coach gets a chance, because at the very least, you know, okay, there's an identification of talent up front, there's development of talent. You know that there's going to be focused there. When a team has two offensive line coaches, a head coach and a position coach, and obviously you have Gas Nalys whatever, But when they have those two offensive line coaches, you're pretty sure that that's going to be a good looking team up front. And I love the floor raising that that gives you. Specifically to Arkansas. I mentioned the coordinator Hires. I mentioned how aggressively. They've hit the portal on both sides of the ball. This past offseason we hat Drew Sanders from Alabama and then Jaden Hazelwood on the other side of the ball, the receiver from Oklahoma. They've hit the portal impressively hard. And there's something about the Sam Pittman experience right recruiting offensive line portal assistant hires that I think, to me could translate more efficiently anywhere that his force of personality, and the same thing be said of Meltucker right when you have two defensive backs coaches, whatever depends, but the force of personality with Sam Pittman, the ability to look they gave Alabama kind of everything they could handle for what over three quarters, three and a half quarters. This is year two versus year whatever it is thirteen for Nick Saban. So there is something about Sam Pittman that wherever he would go, I think that he would be fueling eight plus win teams. The difference to me with mel Tucker, which I think is more of a case for Sam Pittman as well, is you look at how many ten plus win seasons Michigan State has had in the past decade versus what Arkansas has done in the last decade. Yeah, it's just more difficult. They're starting for becoming, they're starting from a different point. Yeah, he I mean, look, Michigan State was horrendous when mel Tucker got there, don't get me wrong, But in terms of reputation, what Arkansas was dealing with with their low points, which I guess was losing to Western Kentucky, I just, man, it was so down in the dumps. So I don't know, I give I give a lot of out of the box credit to Arkansas for making the move that they did and empowering Sam Pittman like they have. So that was it was a tough back and forth with me for Sam Pittman. I think I might have gone a Randa because of age that Sam Pittman, I think is considerably older than Dave Randa, so maybe that's a factor. I just I love it. I love the pick hit job well.
Speaker 1: And another thing quickly on Pittman. We like to look at improvements beyond the win total. Win total can sometimes be deceiving. This is a program in Arkansas that took a thirty five spot jump in the overall SP plus rankings. They finished the year twenty second. Overall, a pretty sizable jump in both offense and defense. Now there's nuance to those numbers. If you dig in, you can find spots. I'm sure where there were steps back, but by and large, it's tough to argue with nine wins in the SEC. It's tough to argue with nine wins with a first time starting quarterback in kJ Jefferson, just everything he's done across the board and his force personality too. You know, this is the kind of thing that I think for sure both Sam Pittman and Meltucker have in common. You hear a lot about mel Tucker, especially walks in a room. He's got that gravitas, and there's a lot of that going on with Sam Pittman as well. So I'm it's hard to argue with any of the three guys that we've thrown out there. Maybe the argument gets a little bit more interesting now as we dive into your pick, your fourth pick, because it seems to me like those are the three obvious ones. The more we dig in, now now we're getting into like Lane Kiffin territory. Right now, we're getting into.
Speaker 2: Jeff Hafiege, Norvelle half Lates. Yeah, Solar Shiano.
Speaker 1: Shiano, Yeah, Mike Leach, I don't know where do you want to go next? What's your next pick?
Speaker 2: Should also mention Arkansas, by the way, just because I mentioned it with Michigan State top twenty and both most improved offense and defense, so they were the number sixteen most improved defense, number nineteen, most improved offense in terms of points per drive taking away garbage time. I'm I'm all aboard time. I'm on the lane train.
Speaker 1: You're on the lane track?
Speaker 2: Is lane Kivin? Yeah? Yeah, Yeah, I'm on the lane train because I'm a believer in the current version of Lane Kiffen, with recruiting, with offensive vision, with assistant hires, with on field ability with those assistant hires, with quarterback developed, with system with identification of systems developing, Like he's run a different stuff at different places, and you know, bringing in Levy, you know having I think it was FAU That's where he was with Charlie Weist junior. Like he has taken components of a bunch of different offenses spread in West Coast and RPO. I think he's going any school he goes to, we'll have a productive at the very least quarterback. We'll have speed, We'll hit the portal hard. He'll recruit well, and he's connected enough in the college football world to make savvy hires. I mean, how many games that all Miss win this year? They win ten games?
Speaker 1: They went ten and three. That's up from five to five.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. Like, we can look at him cartoonishly, but that cartoon wins a ton of games, right Like we you can look back at his time at Tennessee and the Raiders and USC and say, yeah, he's inconsistent. I don't know why he gets as much love as he does. But as of late, he sort of went back to square one with going to Alabama and going to FAU and working his way back up and sort of rediscovering what makes his name attractive in the coaching world. I look at the defensive improvement this year from Ole Miss. Yeah yeah, I'm just like, there's a case that Lane Kiffin is actually the best proven coach on this list because of the amount of time that he has spent as a head coach and major coordinator. That if you were to give a coach a year to build a winning team, that Lane Kiffin might do the best job of it. There's the wildcard element that I think goes against taking him first overall. But if you're just judging somebody based on proven best coach, like it might be Lane.
Speaker 1: Lane Kiffin is only forty six years of age. Yeah, he's been a head coach now five times MS if you count this gig with Old Miss. He's been in the NFL, he's been at Tennessee, he's been at USC. Like, this is a guy who's gotten around. This is a guy who clearly has a lot of coaching experience, and he's still a pretty young dude. I believe in redemption arcs. I believe that a lot of the baggage that has been with Lane Kiffin throughout the years, hopefully he's the kind of thing that he's grown out of or can grow out of. I guess that would be the argument against him, right, that'd be the argument against him that, Yeah, is this guy reliable? Because there have been moments where you know you got him and he wants to jump elsewhere Tennessee, Right, guy ends up going to USC. Can you trust him? Is he the kind of guy that you want to build your program around? Feels like a risk, Like these are real things that I think follow Lane Kiffin wherever he goes. That being said, you're right to improve Old Missus defense, Like everyone's going to focus on Matt Carrall and he's probably gonna be a first round pick. And the offense was very good. The defense was quietly the story for Old miss this year, quietly the story because.
Speaker 2: Couldn't stop the Ronaton. But they improved.
Speaker 1: There's nuance. Right again, there's nuance. But the fact that they improved to the extent that they did and defensively was much more of a force than they had been in years past. That to me is kind of the hallmark of a guy who's starting to figure it out. He's starting to figure it out. And now to the recruiting point, and especially now with the transfer portal bringing over Zach Evans right sure to be the starting running back. Who knows if they end up getting a guy like a Jackson Dart who could potentially be in play at Old Miss arch.
Speaker 2: Manning, they've hit They've hit the portal hard yep.
Speaker 1: Arch Manning another big name right like all world everything quarterback recruit couldn't up in Oxford. His legacy, So like there's just a lot going on there that if you're an old mis fan, you have to feel very optimistic about what this programs under Lane baggage. Aside, the proof is there. This is a team that got a lot better. Matt Carrall elevated his game, I think to a different dimension. He's probably gonna get picked in the first round. So these are all recruiting bits that Lane's gonna use. He's also fabulous on social media and like, Yeah, not to say that either you or I enjoy living in that world, but I think we both respect its value in the modern age of college football, right, and the fact that he's that good and that kind of with it. He's got his finger on the pulse of Twitter or whatnot.
Speaker 2: It he's with it, he is. It stands for something in today's cool missus digitally forward in no small part because of Lane Kiffin's presence. Yeah, so again, I'll turn it to this. You now have Lane Kiffin, Dave Randa, Sam Pittman, or Mel Tucker, and you are Virginia or Louisville. Yeah, and you are you are tasked with let's say they'll all accept the you know, six million dollars or whatever you're offering six seven million dollars to be the new head coach, and your big stipulation is you only get paid if you win nine games, and you have a year to you know, figure things out, and then the next season you have to win nine games in the ACC right now, an average conference coaching an average team in Louisville, Scott Sanderfield is like, whatever, are you still going Sam Pittman or excuse me, are you still going Mel Tucker as your first choice? With Dave Verranda off the border? Would you go Randa or would you go Lane Kiffin or would.
Speaker 1: You go to Sam?
Speaker 2: You know which of these first four? If that changes your mind at all with the benefit of hindsight, the way I'm presenting this exercise.
Speaker 1: There is a very strong case to be made that if you are looking for the quickest lift possible, yep, Lane Kiffin's your guy. Because despite the fact that Dave Randa has done a bang job at Baylor and Mel Tucker has been rebuilding this thing and he's lancing, and Sam Pittman has done you know, I mean, he's like walking on water in Fayeville at this point.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Lane is probably the strongest recruiter of all three of those guys, Lane is Lane brings a star power with him that the others don't have. They could get there, but Lane's been around this game for so long and I just think he's He's a different kind of cat when it comes to the recruiting game. So I guess it depends what you're after.
Speaker 2: He does not come well, I said, I said, I said, basically a year. So I'm not asking for a long term solution here.
Speaker 1: Long term, Yeah, you could make a really strong case for him.
Speaker 2: I think it might be. Yeah, I think in that very specific ask, I think it's Lane, which is why I'm going with him. I think I have a value pick and now Lane and Oranda as my grouping.
Speaker 1: What's your next pick?
Speaker 2: I have it down here, I'm I have Jeff haff.
Speaker 1: There, it is there, it is back together again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So he definitely has an incomplete at BC because he hasn't recruited a high school quarterback that has played a lot of time. He hit the portal relatively impressively with philder Kovic, though hurt for the majority of twenty twenty one. So I can sort of give BC and incomplete in terms of how it reflects on Jeff Haffley, but I like his staff a lot. I like the youth and energy from his staff, the recruiting, and I like his background both within the NFL and at Ohio State his short time at Ohio State. I like the youth. It's an incomplete though. This is much more of a a hope. This is much more of a ceiling thing and a potential thing. Like I could have gone Greg Schiano or Mike Leach right like Greg Ciano is definitely raising your floor one hundred percent, Mike Leach largely is. And you have the vision thing, and you have the track record thing that he's been there, done that, and so those are clear case to take either Leech or Chiano over Jeff Halfley. So I'm sort of banking on the unknown at this point that I think his teams play hard. I think he is going to be smart. I think he's going to be cutting edge. I think he's going to raise floor pretty quickly no matter where he goes, because I don't think he's necessarily long for Boston College. If he does win eight or nine games there, I think it's a difficult place to win. So for that, for those reasons, I'm going to roll the dice with Jeff Halfley, and I know BC fans aren't like fully enamored with him by and large just because of the inconsistent results his first two years. All that into consideration, I still am a believer in his reputation, in how the industry seems to view him, and say, I'm going I want him on my make believe squad. Okay, would you have taken somebody else over Halfley? Here? Would you have taken Jeff Trailer? Would you have taken and say, like, Okay, I know he has this. You know it's a he's a one state guy in Texas, right, I mean, I think he's been at Arkansas, but his the majority of his career has been in the lone star state that you know Shiano, you know, NFL coach for US of Nature hit the portal hard from major schools.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I you know I will grade Jeff Hafley against himself. Okay, because year one in twenty twenty I thought was very promising. Now, Jeff Hafley, keep in mind we've been talking about coaches took a big jump when it comes to win totals. Jeff Hafley was six and five in twenty twenty. He was six and six in twenty twenty one. Now there again, we have to color in different shades here because there are reasons for that. Phil Jerkovic went down. It changed the trajectory of this season in a pretty drastic way. They were really counting on him to be the guy. He came back later in the year. We could talk about what that meant to the team, what it didn't, but I think that's the reason for the incomplete I was gung ho on BC coming into this year, and a lot of people were You could squint and find a way to get them to ten and two. The over under in Vegas was seven, and I remember at the time when I did the preview for BC, I was all in on over seven. All in again, I could take the optimistic view. I'd give them ten wins. You could also look at the schedule and say this is maybe a five win team. In reality, because of the injury, they ended up being closer to the lower end of that. Right. He is a guy who What I liked about Jeff Halfley is in year one he did something very wise, had a transfer quarterback coming in, didn't know what we get out of field your COVID. But whereas a lot of coaches out there tried to run like the full playbook in twenty twenty, Jeff Hafley just stripped the thing down. He went techmo super Bowl style. Let's just do a few things that we know we can master given the limitations of the season, and they did a great job with it. BC, even though they only had six wins, was a breakout success in twenty twenty because of the job that they did under Halfley had the injuries this season. He just feels like a guy who knows how to maximize talent and he's at a place like BC where they're never going to get five star recruits, not in droves, right, that's not the game that they're going to play in BC. But the fact that they've been competitive now in a manner that they have for two years running to varying degrees, Like, I just think that's a great job that he's done. So as I'm looking up and down the list here, you could probably convince me on Kaylin de Borr, who's my boy?
Speaker 2: You know, I love Kaylen to Borr, but I don't is he eligible for this exercise? I mean he's not at Presdent. He's not a second year he's not a second year coach. He's a first year coach.
Speaker 1: You could if we relax the rules, let's say zero zeroth, Yeah, you could. You could talk me into Kaitlin to bor Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But Jeff Trailer, I you know, I mean, Jeff Trailer did a good job. Jeff Trailer won five more games this season and last. I am not as high on Mike Leach. I'm not as high on Greg Chiano. I'm not as high on Mike Norvel. I don't know if you're high on Mike Norvel. But Brady Hoak, like somewhat, could we throw Brady Hoak in there? I still have I mean, I still a scar tissue from the Michigan experience. So yep, and Ricky Ronnie it was a great story, but he's a huge incomplete because they didn't even play in twenty twenty. I think the only answer here is Jeff Hafley.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, the good news for Jeff Hafley is I don't think Boston College lost any games they really should have won, which can be somewhat attributed to coaching, and they didn't. I don't did they win any games they should have lost, Like they just sort of were who they were, so in terms of identity, like Boston College was fine. I don't know, it's it's definitely incomplete to me, but yeah, I'm banking on upside here.
Speaker 1: Do we want to quickly talk through some of the other names. We've each got three coaches now right that we've broken down and as we kind of turn the corner here in the final ten minutes of the show, Yeah, there are some names that we haven't mentioned. So we've thrown at Jeff Trail or we can go into a little bit more detail about him. But I want to talk about Mike Leach because Mike Leach a well known figure in college football. You are very high in Mississippi State coming into this season. I was the Mississippi State in twenty twenty was four and seven. They went seven and six into twenty twenty one. I feel like seven and six is a bit of a disappointment cause you had much higher expectations for this team. I'm curious why Leech is still in the conversation for you win total went up right out about it jump by three, but at the same time, seven to six still feels like a bit of a disappointment relative to preseason expectations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were just kind of all over the place when you look at the wins that obviously the textas A and m one stands out beat in Kentucky the way that they'd like. There were impressive wins, but just that they would fall behind twenty eight to three, twenty eight seven and claw back in right they lose to LSU in that manner. You know, the Memphis game was kind of a nightmare. The Arkansas game was obviously winnable. I I don't know. The Bowl performance wasn't great, especially in an emotional spot for him. They improved over the course of you know, Mike Leach's tenure thus far, and they have a quarterback who seems to be more and more comfortable in this offense. They've got playmakers at receiver obviously, playmakers on defense. I just think that the inconsistency points to some sort of I don't know, messaging problem, an inspiration problem, a motivation problem. I don't know what it is, but I can't fully get on board knowing that there is that while that the team reflects the head coach and Mike Leach is nothing if not a wild card, and that's what Mississippi State seems to have been this past year. So the best of KLANGA is really fun and impressive and can hang with or beat most teams, but man, the depths, especially like last year when what they beat LSU they throw for all those yards the kJ costello and I mean obviously an awful and decimated LSU team, and then to completely fold the way that they did for the stretch through the middle of the season. I don't know. I'm just I don't think I would feel super comfortable at this point saying this is who I can count on if I'm Louisville, Virginia cal Like, I just I need more dependability and a little bit more recruiting for me.
Speaker 1: You know how many times Mike Leach has won double digits in his coaching career. He's been a head coach by.
Speaker 2: The way, right, he's gonna bring you to be an annoyingly competent team. He's good, too, great.
Speaker 1: Right. He's been a head coach at two notable stops, Texas Tech in Washington State. There's a bit of a layover between job one and job two, but only twice in his tenure as a head football coach has he won double digits, and each was in the second to last year of his tenure. The win total did go up for Mississippi State. But I guess my question is is that good enough? Is it good enough to be annoyingly competent? Is that a selling point for a coach to establish that base levels to ability where you're gonna win seven eight games a year? Is that good enough for Mississippi State at this juncture in college football?
Speaker 2: It's a good question. It's a good question. I can't wait to see year three. I can't wait to see a jump in year three. And the other two I think major names are Eli Drinkwitz and Mike Norvell. Those are good picks in theory. Those are two teams that were really down and out, and there's a lot to be encouraged about based on administrative moves within the team. Who has been added to the roster in the portal or what recruiting classes have looked like short of a major cornerback who opted for Jackson State, I hear you, But those are in theory, interesting names. So I just haven't seen enough on the field, Like if the best of Florida State is what the way they finished out the Miami game, the way that they finished out almost beating Notre Dame, Like, what what are we buying here with Florida State? And so yeah, Miszoo is much more hypothetical just because it's a more difficult job based on conference, based on recent track record. But yeah, you look at Florida State this past year. It's I yeah, it's pulling out Miami and almost pulling out Notre Dame, which is not amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Norvel thing to me, I it was a rocky start to his tenure. It was a very rocky start to his tenure. And certainly the way that year two started off, there were questions like is this guy gonna make it through the year? Start off owing four Boston Jacksonville State. Jacksonville State wasn't even a good FCS team, like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hard to draft that.
Speaker 1: It's tough to pick that. And I think he did an admirable job pulling it together after that, right, I mean, there's no two ways about it. Didn't make a bowl, but they at least had a chance to make a bowl game going into that Florida matchup. That was a close game that was a coin flip. Yeah, that Florida game, and they could have won that, so they pulled together late. It still feels to me like, given what we saw from him at Memphis, to be Trott and Jordan Travis out there is not what he wants to do. That's not his mo. So it remains to be seen to me if he can get more of his kind of quarterback in there, if that's going to reverse fortunes a bit on offense and and make this team just feel a lot different and get to different heights. The recruiting thing with Travis Hunter, Norvell was the victim of that this year. People were calling for his head because of it. There are gonna be other coaches that fall victim to this too. It's not Norvell just happened to be the first.
Speaker 2: Victim to a kid going to an HBC.
Speaker 1: I'm being dramatic. I'm being dramatic.
Speaker 2: I know you are.
Speaker 1: I know I'm being dramatic. You know where I'm where I'm at with this. But it will happen. Other kid's going to happen, Nick Saban. At some point, sure there'll be a kid who gets lured away, Maybe not by Jackson state, but by a different program because of nil money, like it's just going to happen. I'm just not sure if I have the level of confidence that this thing is going to turn around at all.
Speaker 2: Okay for him, fair enough.
Speaker 1: It The way they closed out the season was admirable to an extent, But that being said, there's still a lot of.
Speaker 2: Holes to fill for sure, and some they improved. I'm not sure the improvements there. It just it's a you know, the NBA is what a make and mis league? Yeah, everything's a win and lost league, and that's what that's what we need. That's all.
Speaker 1: Let me close it out very quickly by talking about Greg Ciano.
Speaker 2: I'd love to, as long as that the hypothetical school we're dealing with is in New Jersey. He's an interesting pick. Otherwise, who knows.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, I I like Rutgers going out and get him. I don't typically like the retread, right, especially if it's a retread that's been there before. I don't. I don't like going for the sequel. But Rutgers is at a unique disadvantage in the fact that it's supposed to be kind of like the easternmost anchor of one of the biggest conferences in college football. Fordham still may literally be the team of New York. Okay, we make that joke, but true. I don't know if anyone truly gives a damn about Rutgers football in the numbers of the big power. Yeah, it's just it's just not a thing. And so it's hard to kind of rebuild that. It's hard to recapture that magic, the pandemonium in Piscataway that he was part of way back when, over a decade ago. To kind of have that local knowledge and the experience of having done that once I think is very valuable at a place like Rutgers. And so he's already elevated and raised the floor. In year two they went from three wins to five and eight. With the Wonky Bowl situation, yep, I think they're getting better. They are at least far more competent than they were under the previous regime. So I like him there in terms of somebody that I would draft, He's a lot older than pretty much every name on this list. That works against him, for better or worse. If we're drafting, if we've got our two cents about who we're gonna who we're gonna take and when in what order? I like you said, outside of Jersey. I don't know if it plays, but at least in that very specific instance, he's done.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, he'll raise your floor. And it's hard to gauge because the depths of Rutgers football are tremendous, uh, these past you know, basically ten years. So yeah, I think he'd raise your floor anywhere. I think he would field a good defense. He would hit the portal hard. He still has the you know, he coached in the NFL for a considerab amount of time or sometime. He's a name, he's a big name. It's just what has he proven in the modern era on any level in terms of success yet to be seen?
Speaker 1: Yet to be seen? All right, yep, right in, Soliverbalo atgmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rank them.
Speaker 1: Let us know what we got right, what we got wrong. We'll be posting clips of this out across all of our social media platforms. Respond wherever, let us know your thoughts. Because very much a subjective exercise. But I thought a fitting thing to do now that we're through what amounts to year two or year one for many of these guys, especially since it was such a big talking point coming into the season. Right, there were so many unknowns, especially with these guys in their programs and the jobs that they did. So write and let us know what your thoughts are. Don't forget to subscribe and follow, rate and review the show. Going out to verballers dot com. That's our Patreon, Going out to solid Giveaway dot com. That's where you can compete, compete on don't know, enter the contest. You don't really have to compete to win. That signed Reggie Bush.
Speaker 2: Mini helmet in a way.
Speaker 1: In a way, alrighty Dan, fun show, as I'd like to say, that is good. I enjoyeda same for that guy there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hilton Brand, thank you so much for downloading, for listening, for playing along at home. We will be back next Tuesday. In the meantime, today saw peace