Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour two.
Speaker 2: On this Wednesday, Dan to the Dan Ed Dan Patrick Show, Tom berdu CMLB Network. He will stop buying a little bit? Who won? Who lost? The trade deadline? Yesterday? Pat McAfee in an hour from now about the new rules about the onside kick stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. Still waiting word from Adam Sandler. I did talk to him yesterday and we discussed Happy Gilmore two because I said, sand Man, I got to clear my schedule. I have a day job. And he said, Danny, we're going to start shooting in September. And I said okay. And I said, is my role a large role, a medium role, or a small role? And he says, you're playing Dan Patrick. I said, okay, interesting, I said, what does that entail? He said, you're going to be behind the desk. So I'm assuming that means on site and then I'll be at the golf tournament. And I think September is when they start shooting, and it would be in New Jersey, yes, but I don't know where. I don't know how many days. He didn't say anything about Danettes being in the gallery as extras, which I'd like to propose would be kind of nice. Maybe a cutaway of you guys together.
Speaker 3: Ready, guy three to one audition over, I.
Speaker 2: Think I think your golf applause was a little too applause.
Speaker 3: It was it was a part five and he hit the green.
Speaker 2: Even then, I think it's a.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 5: It wasn't applausible for us to clap like you.
Speaker 2: Now, there's only three of the dan Nettes in the movie.
Speaker 4: I just lost out, Yes, but I.
Speaker 2: Do it in a subtle way. I suggest that if there is an opportunity for the dan Ets, it makes it easier for me if I have to take a day off and go shoot my scene for Happy Gilmore too. I don't even know what the official title is. I did reach out to sand Man this morning and I said any update on the title of the movie, and no response. So right now, I guess the working title is Happy Gilmore two.
Speaker 3: Where'd they come up with that?
Speaker 2: And then it's going to be out coming up in the summer next year. It'd be a summer blockbuster, I'm going to guess. But maybe they come up with something different, although we did Grown Ups and then we did Grown Ups two, so I don't know if there's going to be much variation there.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, you're one step closer to your Oscar tribute.
Speaker 2: I think I'm there. I mean, maybe this seals it when I die. Is that what you're saying correct in memoriam?
Speaker 6: Yes, what Sarah McLaughlin says, HI will remember.
Speaker 2: I would think over twenty movies. I mean, I've made over a billion dollars at the box office. Let's be honest with this. I would think that would warrant plus, you know, a Hall of Fame broadcasting career. I think that that should put me up on the big screen. I'm hopeful. Eight seven seven three DP Show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com. Twitter handle it DP Show. We say good morning if you're watching on Peacock. Thank you for downloading the app. Also are radio affiliates around the country adding another radio affiliate tomorrow, Big News Tomorrow coming to a city near you. Big News found that out yesterday. So yeah, we continue to grow the DP show empire. Thanks to you the great audience that we have. Poll question for hour two is going to be one seaton o Connor.
Speaker 7: Let's see right now, we got up there. If you won the silver medal, you'd be gracious and thankful or salty and unsatisfied.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's nothing in between.
Speaker 7: No be either of those two things. That's it right now. Seventy two percent would be gracious and thankful.
Speaker 2: Well, there were two men's swimmers from the Olympic team that when I actually had a man and a woman and they were, you know, disappointed that they won silver. So I get that. The expectation. Now we look at it and go, of course we'd love a silver. Well, not if you were expected to win the gold or thought you could win the gold. So I would say, yeah, bronze. Like the person who wins a bronze or a silver with Katie Ladeki in the fifteen hundred meters and you might finish ten seconds behind her, you're probably gonna say, hey, I got a silver. I finished behind Katie Ladeci. No shame in that. What other pole questions do we have?
Speaker 7: The UH is it is a lot about expectations going into it. Yeah, because like I know, if I want a silver medal, it'd be like, holy crap, that's amazing. But if I was favored going in. Yeah, I'd be like, dang, I could have had a gold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the women's rugby team they they're thrilled that they won the bronze. The men's gymnastics team thrilled they won the bronze. If the women's gymnastics team didn't win the gold, that would be a huge disappointment. There any other pole questions for hour two? Yeah, well we got up there. Also, are you colorblind? This one's a little more self serving. Well, we were looking at the Senn River and they are starting the triathlon and they did that this morning, and I was saying, if you were Crayola Crayons or Sherman Williams and you were going to label that color, I said, tope, which is not the color of anything you want to dive into. But we were trying to come up with different colors and we realized that Seaton can't differentiate between brown and green. That you're colorblind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I don't know, I might be more.
Speaker 7: Somebody has suggested it's more color stupid, which that might be accurate too, because I just took a before I just took a color blind test to see how colorblind they am. And it said you're not colorblind, so so your color is stupid. It might be color stupid. That's a new one. Yes, it seems more accurate though, that color is stupid.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: Jim and Idaho, Good morning, Jim. What's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Hey? Jim?
Speaker 2: Oh, get on your phone?
Speaker 9: Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 2: Don't put don't put me on speaker? Well we just hung up on it. That's unfortunate.
Speaker 4: Jim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well his comment was about the the river the color of the river there. But yeah, it looks dope. We'll get phone calls coming up. Got some NFL news. I don't know how newsy the news is, but Paul, you want to give us a hint on NFL news.
Speaker 3: It's preseason related and it's about NFL and technology. Who wants to guess what it could be?
Speaker 2: A chip in the football? Pretty close.
Speaker 3: The NFL is going to test Hawkeye for the chain gang. Okay, they're gonna test in preseason games, random preseason games. New technology measure the first down line. The Associated Press was told by the NFL. It's called Sony Hawkeye technology. It won't be ready for full implementation, they said, until next year, but they're trying to get it done as soon as possible. This will replace the chain gang with a more immediate almost like when you're watching tennis, you know that it's in and out. When the ball is passed the first down market, it would be instantaneously known to everyone watching on TV or not. They will still have as a backup the chain gang in case the technology fails, so the chain gang people are not out of work yet.
Speaker 2: I know it's archaic to have it's antiquated to have the chain gang, but then there's part of me that I still love when they trot out on the field and they're measuring for a first down. I don't want it to be too exact where you already know it, without that drama of here they.
Speaker 4: Come, right here they come.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the messure man the.
Speaker 5: First town because you think you got it, but they didn't fully extend it just yet, and then they give it that extra pull and it goes beyond the point of the football.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: So gymnastics, Yeah, yesterday team gold for the women's team had everything you know pretty much that you wanted yesterday, great finish with rugby who knew the gymnastics swimming. So today you got shooting and canoe and fencing and diving, and it's a full slate here. The Cardinals, Dodgers, Mariners, Mets load up at the trade deadline. We'll talk to Tom Berducci about that coming up as well.
Speaker 7: Yes, the summer games are so interesting because we haven't even gotten the track and field yet. Yeah, those are some of the best. Yeah events you have and it's already been swimming in gymnastics alone is fantastic.
Speaker 2: Hawk in Arizona, Good morning Hawk. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Good morning Dan and Danettes. I'm not walking my dog and I had a real quick question Dan, if you ever heard or listen to the led Zeppelin live album How the West Is Won? Have you heard that?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: I have, I haven't listened to it in a long time.
Speaker 10: Well, before you already named your boat, I was going to call in and say I think that you should name it the Ocean in reference not only to a body of water, but also to led Zeppelin of that album, because the Ocean version on that song on that album is the absolute best. So that's one of the things I was calling in for. Secondly, by the time that you leave and retired, there's no way that Danettes are going to let you out. So I have an envision you on your link and you're going to have the four Danettes show up in their own boats. So I was wondering if the Danettes have ever thought about naming their own boat, because you're obviously going to end up where you are, because I figured Fritzie might end up with let's get quizzical. I mean, Pauly's going to have a sweetness, Seam's gonna have g o a l l l l l l l, and Marvin's gonna have death come three in homage to his University of Tada Tuskies trying to get their third national title, which, oh, by the way, Arizona is going to shut you down in the twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Five all right, huck, all right, easy, ukkay.
Speaker 4: All right, get out to the sweet sixteen first and come talk to me.
Speaker 2: That is true. Yeah, the Chargers of college basketball, Arizona basketball.
Speaker 6: Weird and Miles Simon not walking through that door. Mike Baby's not walking through that door, relaxed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like Arizona number one, Arizona this year. Yeah, they got some NBA player and be like, all right, I'm going to pick them to go to the final four bow out in the first round, not falling for that. The banana and the tailpipe, I'm not going to fall for that. Will in Alabama, Will, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 11: I guess it's five to nine in the one FI. But so a few weeks ago, I was listening to Mike Florio all right before y'all show came on. I want to make sure I give him credit on this in case so either he gets the credit or in case I'm wrong, he gets to blame. But he was talking about Rock Party and how his contracts. The wording of his contract says that it'll expire at the end of this regular season, which means that technically if that, if and when they make the playoffs, he could sit out or threaten to sit out of the playoffs if he doesn't get an immedia contrast extension. I don't know if he would do it, but I think it'd be very interesting and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.
Speaker 2: I haven't given it any thought and won't until I need to. I mean a sitting out hypothetical. I don't want to go down that road. I don't know brock Perty sounds like he's, you know, he wants to be the next Tom Brady. He wants to be great. He wants to you know, and guys don't hold out. I mean, ceedee lamb is. Now you have a hold in where you're going to camp. You're just not working out. Jordan Love did this as well, But I don't see that. I think bron Perty is gonna get paid, and rightfully, so he's going to get paid. Here's another thing. Albert Breer last year and we talked to him how sloppy the regular season was in the beginning in September. It was sloppy football. And he said, well, nobody takes part in preseason. So I had this great idea novel approach here, how about my team takes preseason seriously so we're at the top of our game when the games matter instead of not. Everybody can go in the way the Patriots did, and Belichick and Brady would always say, September is there to just kind of work out things, and then the season started in October. But if you're a team that you know needs to get kick started, that you weren't maybe great, or you were a game away from making the playoffs. How about your starters play a little bit so we don't use that. Well, they didn't get any time in preseason. They didn't work in preseason. Just a couple of series something because we're probably going to have sloppy play again because veterans don't play in the preseason. You know, Caleb Williams wants to play, I would still put him out there. I would let him go out for two series, just that feel. Just get that out of the way. And now you're like these guys talk about when they get a chance to go in even if it's preseason, especially quarterbacks, they're like so energized. And these are guys trying to make the team or maybe a backup quarterback, they're just energized. Well, Caleb Williams, here's your number one pick. Put him out there. I play a little bit. They even hand off a couple time. Let him throw a a button hook or something, nothing crazy and tell him nothing crazy, yes, mart.
Speaker 6: So if you're the forty nine ers, would you let Christian McCaffrey play at all? I remember la Danius Tomlinson during his MVP run. He didn't play a down in the preseason like him would you not let him play at all?
Speaker 4: No, I don't need him to play so just quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: I want a team that is on the rise and needs those reps and needs to be ready to come opening week. I don't worry about Christian McCaffrey being ready to go. As long as he's back from his honeymoon. I think he'll be ready to go. But with these other teams, I know, Atlanta, Chicago, Carolina, I mean, there's probably fifteen teams that you can say they need to like Drake May should be out there. Let him play a little bit. I mean, I know everybody runs the risk of getting hurt. You run the risk of getting hurt every time you go out there. I just think if you're looking at the risk and the reward to have Drake May go out there, like JJ McCarthy with the Vikings, let him go out there. They play a little bit. They just feel it a little bit. You know, what are you going to do with the Steelers? Is justin Field's going to take all the reps in preseason or are they going to have a third string quarterback because Russell Wilson's not going to be out there. What did the Jets do like, do I want Aaron Rodgers out there after what happened last year? The answer is no. I don't think he ever played in the preseason. I just if I have a younger team and we're trying, we're on the move, and we know that we got some momentum here, we can have a special year, maybe we can get into the postseason. I get my guys out there in the preseason because I want to be ready to go opening week. I don't want to go three games in and we're one in two a row and three because it's sloppy football. Who won the trade deadline yesterday? Is it singular or plural? We'll talk to Tom Berducci, Great Baseball Reporter insider, and then Pat McAfee coming up top the next hour on the new on side Kick Rules. We're back after this and Patrick's show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, I'm Doug Gottlieb. The podcast is called All Ball. We usually talk all basketball all the time, but it's more about the stories about what made these people love their sport and all the interesting interactions along the way. We talked to coaches, we talked to players, We tell you stories. You download it, you listen to it.
Speaker 6: I think you like it.
Speaker 12: Listen to All Ball with Doug Gottlieb on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Tom Berducci MLB Network, Foxsports Analyst Reporter MLB Network now available directed consumer. Go to mlbnetwork dot com to subscribe. All right, Tom, we love to give out grades here. So who gets an a yesterday for trade deadline moves?
Speaker 9: San Diego Padres.
Speaker 13: Let me start with them, Dan, I mean it's no surprise that we saw twenty of the thirty four players traded yesterday were relief pitchers. I mean, that's what wins these days, that's what the game is, like it or not, and a lot of us don't really love it, but especially in the postseason, they went out and got two of the best, definitely the best on the top of the market was Tanner Scott, the left handed pitcher, and then Jason Adam. And this team has been playing really well for the last let's say three weeks, so they're riding some momentum, and I just think that they're starting pitching the way they spin the ball, and now the bullpen, with the way they take care of the sixth and then on they became to me a really dangerous playoff matchup for anybody, whether that's Phillies or Dodgers. So I'll start with San Diego. I did like what the Dodgers did getting Jack Flaherty. I thought he was the best starting pitcher available.
Speaker 2: It tells you how.
Speaker 13: Unsure they are DAN about their options when they get to October, about their rotation, and they bought themselves a little certainty.
Speaker 2: Give me the top three teams in the National League. Have the Padres elevated themselves with the Dodgers In the Phillies, I think they have Dan.
Speaker 13: I think the Phillies. I still think the Phillies are the best team top to bottom. But they've gone through a rough patch here. That's probably I want to say, it's about thirty thirty five games.
Speaker 9: It's gone for a while. Right now.
Speaker 13: They're not hitting, which is kind of a good thing because I don't worry about that with that lineup. They tried to fix their bullpen. I liked what they did in getting Carlos the Staves. What was really interesting is they had two guys who they lost complete confidence in in Sir Anthony Dominge and Gregory Soto, and the Orioles, the best team in the American League East, took those two players. I don't like the idea, Dan of adding players where you're projecting that they're going to be better. I want guys who are better right now, and I make the deal so they're plug and play, hit the ground running.
Speaker 2: Your top three teams in the American League. Did they change it all after yesterday?
Speaker 9: Probably not to me.
Speaker 13: It's still New York Baltimore and I'm actually gonna have Cleveland three. I did love the Cleveland pickup of Alex Cobb, and you're saying, well, wait a second, this dude hasn't pitched an Inny Get this year. I love their bullpen. I love the way they put the ball in play. I love the way they run the bases. They're short, or they were short starting pitching. And they've got a guy who's got a fresh arm, who's a hip injury he's coming back from and as long as he turns out to be okay, and all systems seem like their go I love the idea that adding a real veteran gamer. He is a gamer competitive guy. So that was a really key pickup for me.
Speaker 2: Why didn't the Cleveland Indians change to the Cleveland Spiders as opposed to the Guardians.
Speaker 13: Because they had that rich history. Is one of the worst teams ever, right, the Cleveland Spiders.
Speaker 2: But it's a great, great nickname. It's a great mascot. I mean there's great upside with that.
Speaker 13: It is a great nickname. I mean, just think about the mascot. The uniforms could look like can you imagine a City connect uniform for the Cleveland Spighters. I mean, everybody'd be wearing it for a Halloween costume. I think the first graders would love it.
Speaker 4: It was awesome.
Speaker 13: I don't know, maybe there was just some I don't know, copyright issues.
Speaker 9: I don't know what it was.
Speaker 13: I kind of like, I kind of like the Guardian's name. When you figure out what it means on the face of it, you're like, what the heck is Guardians? Guardians of the Galaxy know that Bridge and Cleveland and I actually liked the name and the meeting behind it, But it does take some research to appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We were talking this morning prior to the show with all the moves that were made, and we can't help but think about Mike Trout that he's I guess had a setback in you know, his rehab. What is he thirty two?
Speaker 9: I mean, not much hope.
Speaker 13: And you know a lot of times the game turns over quickly these days, and yet you look at the Angels and they're a long way off DN. I mean, they didn't have much to do here at the deadline. They probably could have done more, but farm system is not great. I love Mike Trout and I love the fact that he is so loyal, and a lot of people use that against him. They say, well, why shouldn't he just you know, tell Ardie Morin or the Angels he wants out of there so he's a chance to win. This is this guy sitting around there for twenty one twenty two picks on the draft day and the Angels took him. They extended his contract twice before he was a free agent. It's really out of nothing more than loyalty, loyal to family, to the Angels. I don't hold that against them, but man, it is a shame that really the best player of this generation.
Speaker 9: We've kind of forgotten that he is, right, Yeah.
Speaker 13: Has never really had the chance that one chance early in Kansas City they got Slappy I swept. He's never won a postseason game. Mike Trout's crazy.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if the Angels just say, let's do what's best for the Angels and trade him. You're talking about loyalty from the like Kevin Garnett. He was loyal to the Timberwolves, loyal, loyal, loyal, and then what happened They trade him to Boston. Now it worked out well, but at some point the Angels have to look at this and say what is best for us and what can we get for Mike Trout.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's the problem now is he's just been hurt so much Dan that they'd have to pay down that contract to move it. And he's still extremely popular. I'll say this about Mike, and this has been true from day one. If you go to an Angels game, literally every game, he is out there before the game signing autographs for kids. I mean, people bring their families to watch Mike Trout play. Problem, he hasn't played a lot in the last three or four years.
Speaker 2: How could a team be as bad as the White Songs.
Speaker 9: It must take a lot of work, huh.
Speaker 13: I hear a lot from players Dan about how their player development system is really not good.
Speaker 9: It's thirty out of thirty.
Speaker 13: I'm talking about even at the major league level, or finishing off players and develop them. And you just hear this time and time again and again that some of the players they've had with talent just don't ascend, say a Johan Mancata. I even look at Michael Kopek. He was traded in one of the deals than the Dodgers, right, mark that name down. He's going to be a beast in the postseason. He's got a fastball to me that's got properties like Garrett Cole. He's got some issues with his slider in command that Dodgers will fix him. I believe they're probably let's say, top five in player development. And nowadays, as you know, Dan, guys get pushed in the big leagues. Player development is not just about the minor leagues anymore. It's how good your major league staff is.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Tom Berducci, Fox Sports MLB Network. Is there a pitcher comes to mind comparable to Paul's schemes in how he hit the majors his first year.
Speaker 13: I mean the obvious one would be Strasburg, right, you know, I can see some similarities there. For me, is nobody better I saw as a phenom, so to speak, because Dwight Gooden Dway was nineteen years old.
Speaker 9: I had two pitches. Two pitches.
Speaker 13: They were both like otherworldly and people sometimes he was tipping his pitches. People knew it was coming and nobody could hit him. I mean, I still think that's the best feed hump. And he was nineteen years old. Skins is a really college polished twenty one year old. He had essentially a major league pitching coach in college and Wes Johnson. If you watch him pitched in it's funny. He does throw a hundred.
Speaker 9: We all love velo.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 13: His forcing fastball might be his quote unquote worst pitch because batters ken hit velocity in today's game. But he knows how to pitch that splinker thing he's got combo of a splitter and a sinker is just filthy. But watching him pitch and all the opponents say the same thing. Dan as impressive as his stuff is, it's what he's doing with it. His baseball IQ is off the charts, so right now he must watch whenever he's got the baseball in his hands.
Speaker 2: Is there a pitch that leads to or makes it more susceptible to Tommy Johns surgery?
Speaker 13: That is a great question. For years, they used to say the split finger put a lot of stress on the elbow because if you just take a baseball wedget there between your fingers and hold it there long enough, you start to get a little tension in your elbow. Right But I think Dan, it's more about not an individual pitch. But the two biggest factors are overuse and poor mechanics, and very few guys now are overused. Right now, we have a third issue, which is pure velocity.
Speaker 9: I mean, I hate to say it.
Speaker 13: The guys who are throwing upper nineties time and time again are at risk because there literally is more strain in the elbow. Think about this. We've done so well in terms of mechanics. Very few guys go out there in the major leagues with really bad mechanics. Now, usage they're very careful, probably too careful. Right the way they cut back on eynings and pitch counts, But what you can't do is you can't do anything about that ucl that little ligament your elbow. You can strengthen all the muscles that you want, have the most efficient delivery that you want, but when you're throwing one hundred miles an hour, that little ligament literally cannot stand the force from that.
Speaker 9: Over and over and over again.
Speaker 13: It's not going to change because the game pivots on velocity and if you watch kids at showcases, they're all trying to throw as hard as they can. And people just signed up for that risk that, yeah, one day I'm gonna blow out, but they'll fix it and I'll get back out there.
Speaker 2: Is it just me or it sounds like literally sounds like the ball leaving Otani's bad is different than anybody else in baseball. No, that's a great call, But why is that? I mean, the other guys can hit it as far, if not farther, but there's a sound, there's a quality to that where it's like that's different.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I used to say that about wangan Zalaz back in the day. A few guys really jump out when it comes to Albert Pooles.
Speaker 9: There is a difference.
Speaker 13: So out there's no question about even the players that they know that you can close your eyes in VP and know that, okay, tis the kids right now. First of all, if you stood next to him, you realize that dude is big. I mean, he's got like this Michael Phelps body. He's freakishly flexible, and he's got these long levers. So you think, all right, he's kind of wiry strong. No, he has built like a tank man and he's got those long levers. So he's got tremendous leverage in the baseball. And he's really learned how to backsmin the baseball high in the air, so his fly balls, when sometimes he hits the ball looks like a flyball, it's like way out. He's got that gift man where there's just another gear to the ball leaving in bat.
Speaker 2: Always great to catch up with you, Tom, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 9: Always a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Dad, Thank you, Tom BERDOGMLB Network Fox Sports analyst and reporter, also sports illustrated Baseball writer. MLB Network is available direct to consumer, go to mlbnetwork dot com. There's just something about it. There's some players where when the ball hits the bat, it is different. And I've said that before about Otani. I thought Jock Peterson when he played for the Dodgers, it was like, man, first time I saw him play, I was like, wow, it sounds different. And then I didn't know if certain teams have their microphones set up around home plate or something to add, you know, a little bit more ambiance around sound there, because I would do that if I was able to do that enhance the viewing or if you're listening on radio. But there's something about when Otani swings and it's like when he connects. It's just different. And back to Mike Trout. I brought this up before, and I had pushback from people with the Angels when I said, this is a couple of years ago that you know, he should aspire to be and this isn't on him. We were projecting him to be the greatest player, one of the greatest players ever, and I said he should aspire to be have a career like Miguel Cabrera, and people were like Miguel Cabrera. I said, look at the numbers, look at what he did in his career. That's now Mike's more all around player than Cabrera. But if you're looking at just numbers, hitting. Miguel Cabrera had an unbelievable career and he was really good in the postseason two. That's what you aspire to. And this isn't on Mike Trout saying Hey, I'm the next Mickey Mantle. It was everybody projecting that, and you know the expectations are so lofty. Well, Mickey Mannon was playing in the postseason every year too, playing in New York, getting attention. You know, Mike's in Anaheim. And while I can applaud you for being loyal, I think the Angels have to look at that. And you know Ernucci just brought it. It's too late to trade him, like too late in that contract that you're gonna have to pay it down. What are you going to get who wants to invest in? That's he gets hurt now feels like every year the last couple of years. But this is a guy. When his career is done, we're gonna go.
Speaker 5: God.
Speaker 2: I don't remember anything about it other than he was always there in the top five or winning MVPs. But really nothing where you go I remember that time or there is nothing. There are no moments for a Hall of Fame career, and that's really hard to do. Where you go, do you remember now we're talking the best player in his sport where you don't remember anything particular. It's like Scotty Scheffler, Scotty Scheffler, and you go, yeah, yeah, that I don't know that time. But he's winning, you know, majors and winning tournaments. You're at least seeing him, but there's nothing that stands out where you go, oh my god. Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of a comparison for Mike trout from an older generation, and the first thing that popped in my head was Tony Gwyn. He played always with the Padres, and it felt like, you know, he could have had even more of a profile he played elsewhere. Just to compare, Tony Gwyn played in the postseason at four different times in his career. He had one hundred and seventeen at bats in the postseason. Mike Troutz had twelve. Yeah, and they were ten years ago.
Speaker 2: And look, Tony didn't want to leave. He wanted to stay in San Diego. And I remember when and I asked him about this. They the Player Association was really upset because they wanted him on the open market so other guys would make more money. And Tony said, look, I don't want to kid anybody. I'm not leaving. I want to stay here with the Padres. But agents, you know, player association, let's drive up those salaries. And Tony's like, I'm going to take five million and stay here with the Padres. All right, we'll take a break. Get ready six months of football straight ahead as of tomorrow, pretty much until I don't know, mid February. Football. Also, we have our Olympic Quiz for the day and top of the hour, speaking of football, we'll talk to Pat McAfee is going to stop buying back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Football starts tomorrow Hall of Fame Game, and we have football wall to wall until mid February. Also for a change, we're going to have relevant college football in December and January. And I remember when we were talking about expanding the playoffs, and I told you that I was told it was going to go to twelve teams. Then there were people who said, oh, the regular season is not going to mean anything. Yes, it will you're going to care about more regular season games for teams because they're going to be relevant because where you're going to be seated. Hey, twelve teams make the playoffs, okay, but are you hosting a playoff game? Are you on the road for two playoff games? And then the bowl games are going to matter. So now the Orange Bowl can lead to the Fiesta Bowl and that could lead to the national title. They're going to mean something. And I think they got it right with twelve teams and making the bowl games relevant. You're going to give a couple of buys to the top seeds. The question is how many teams from the SEC? How many teams from the Big ten are going to make it? Is there going to be an outcry if you have more than three teams from the SEC? Notre Dame gonna make it? Should they make it?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 2: There's going to be a lot of great storylines and you're gonna have to get used to. Oh that's right. Ohio State is playing Oregon in Eugene coming up in October. Like I said, a seat and we should go to that game. Let's go cross country UD go to see Ohio State against Oregon.
Speaker 4: What's wrong with that plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's a quick turnaround because we'd have to leave Friday after the show. Pready got it planned. We fly out at Newark, we go into Portland, and then from Portland we could either drive to Eugene. I think that's two hours two hours, or we could take a plane over to Eugene. I don't know if the game is during the day or night though, because then we'd have to get up really early the next morning and get to Portland. Feels like a game day game. Well, game day is there, but game day can be there in the morning and then the game's not till at night, but it feels like it's a night er than a day or Yes, Pauli.
Speaker 3: That's one of those great October TBD games depending on the state of Oregon in Ohio state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we need to know plan accordingly.
Speaker 3: If they're bad. If someone's that.
Speaker 2: They're going to be good, but they would they do it.
Speaker 3: They wouldn't do a big ten noon kickoff in Eugene, Oregon, where it's a nine am they can't do that. So you're looking at that game being a three point thirty banger or an eight o'clock n TVD.
Speaker 2: Who would be carrying that? Is Fox carrying that?
Speaker 3: I think that that's that might be an NBC situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because well if that's the case and that's scholarship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll check on that one.
Speaker 2: Maybe we get the charter the Bob Costas playing Bob Costas playing.
Speaker 3: That's that off keep I'll see if that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're trying to find out if what time that game is. But that'd be a lot of fun. I'd be sweet.
Speaker 7: It's been a while since we got out that way too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got another saucy one. I got Oregon at Michigan November second. That's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Wait what did you.
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 3: I get excited about college football?
Speaker 2: You can't say that.
Speaker 3: I didn't say it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you did.
Speaker 2: I heard it.
Speaker 3: Just sounded like, yeah, you got.
Speaker 2: Is that what it is? Okay?
Speaker 4: He was just missing the three party.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is this thing on? I think it is football?
Speaker 3: Get excited. Yeah, it's all be excited.
Speaker 2: Oh where were we Ohio State?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, wait, Oregon has to play Ohio State and Michigan's.
Speaker 3: Right, man, they have they have a toughie. Geez, look at this. Yeah, they got a full slate here. They're out of conference. It's not so bad.
Speaker 2: But okay, okay, yeah, I like that. I like that going out for that game. Or we could go to Michigan. That'd be fun too. Downtown ann Arbor awesome. You know college certain college towns awesome. Ann Arbor. That's out of a uh, you know a movie. Yeah, well you went there for Notre Dame in Michigan. Yeah. Let me see Jay in Colorado. Hey, Jay, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Good morning, Dan and CAUs. First time, long time, six six five. I know I'm kind of mushy, sorry, Dan, I'm not sure what kind of fan I am. You know, I'm not an avid fan that catches absolutely everything about my teams. I'm a cheesehead transplant, so go back. But and and several of my closest friends and family are not really sports bands, so I'm kind of forced to watch the highlights, read. I read everything I can on various sites about how the game went.
Speaker 10: And that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 8: I'm not really casual, but I'm not avid. Where do I fit in?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 10: Jay?
Speaker 2: I'm not your therapist here. I mean, you sound like a grown man. You can kind of figure this out. I don't know, Jay, tell me where it all began. You're in Colorado. You can watch every game, you know, subscriptions for all of these things. You don't have to read everything. You don't have to be ashamed to be a Packers fan either. Uh Luke in North Carolina? Hi, Luke, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 14: I had an Olympic sport idea for Todd, But first I just wanted to say I love hearing you guys talk about dust football. I'm originally from Eugene, Oregon. Would definitely advise you guys to go to that Ohio State game. Have you ever been to Austin before?
Speaker 4: I have not.
Speaker 14: Well, that's definitely a place to go to check off your bucket list for sure. And I wanted to know what you guys thoughts about powerlifting for Todd. He's got a good base for it.
Speaker 2: Maybe just need training, hmmm, powerlifting, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I guess that's a lot of weight and I don't have the bottom hand.
Speaker 2: You have no trunk, you have of no legs issues. Yeah, that that's just don't I.
Speaker 5: Don't work out the legs very much. That's a problem.
Speaker 2: No, you don't work out the legs at all.
Speaker 5: They go for walks, but I guess that doesn't really Countterma.
Speaker 2: You always did arms. You never had a leg day. You didn't.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Time for the Quick Olympic Quiz. That's the Quick Olympic Quiz three four, Thank you Dan.
Speaker 3: This is a three line quiz off diving. Olympic diving. We talked to the US Olympic Diving. We had three very basic and probably dumb questions for them, but they were nice enough to respond. Okay, what is the minimum depth of an Olympic diving pool? In feet? What is the minimum depth of Olympic diving pool?
Speaker 9: Would?
Speaker 6: Let go first?
Speaker 5: Todd, I'm gonna say ten and a half feet.
Speaker 2: Ink seating seven point five, Mark, Marvin fifteen feet.
Speaker 7: It's got to be at least twenty five feet.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say twelve feet.
Speaker 3: Fifteen feet is correct. Marvin nailed it. That's the minimum. Okay, seven and a half feet would be terrible, I think, or be interesting. Okay, this one is uh. I thought was had multiple answers, but there's one answer. Why do divers after they dive go sit in a hot tub until their next chance to die?
Speaker 2: So they don't cramp up.
Speaker 3: Does anyone have an alternate answer.
Speaker 2: So they don't get a chill?
Speaker 5: Yeah, something about hypothermia.
Speaker 3: It is to keep their muscles warm, and one of the things is to prevent cramping.
Speaker 4: Hello, good job.
Speaker 3: That's a point for you.
Speaker 7: The warm I said, don't get a chill cramping.
Speaker 2: I think we share that we're not going to accept that we have one more.
Speaker 3: We have one more in a bonus question and a bonus question how to get out of your car now.
Speaker 2: I always like that little towel that they have, like for some reason that drives them off, you know, like a little hand towel.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: Pat McAfee joins us in ten minutes from now,