Speaker 1: What is Up?
Speaker 2: Mets fans, Welcome back to another episode of the Mets Up Podcast, the twenty twenty six MLB Draft recap. We have got all of the picks in for the New York Mets this year. The draft was a little interesting. They didn't have many picks at the start, but apparently they got their guys. We're gonna tell you our thoughts, opinions, and everything that we know about them in today's episode. If you're enjoying it, make sure you are subscribed to Mets Up over on YouTube, and if you're listening to us Apple podcasts, Spotify, Google drops a rating, drops a review, download and subscribe. James, we got to start with the first round pick that people were caring way too much about, getting up in arms about it because he only threw fourteen college innings. Let's talk about Carson Wiggins right head to pitch you out of Arkansas.
Speaker 3: I think that's why this is fair to get relatively up in arms because you took a player in Carson Wiggins who was a sophomore, so someone that instantly kind of has leverage in the draft because very easy to go back for your junior year, play another year of SECA, especially when you have the stuff of Carson Wiggins when he was on the mound as a freshman. There are people who are in the college baseball world who thought he could have had some of the best raw stuff in the country. There are people at the University of Arkansas, you guys can hear from in a second, that thought if he came back and pitched a full season in Arkansas next year, he could have easily worked his way into being a top five pick. But kind of got stuck in no man's land recovering from injury and then came back pitching the combine didn't have his best stuff, but when he was healthy, it's probably an.
Speaker 1: Eighty grade fastball.
Speaker 3: He's hit one hundred and two miles narrow average nineteen inches of ever, like, it's a really, really, really outrageously good fastball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's possibly one of the best fastballs in the class, especially if he was fully healthy. So coming back rehabbing doing what he has in college, I think we also have to make it very well known that rehabbing at a college university is very different than rehabbing in a major league organization.
Speaker 1: So that's something that's even interesting that he was.
Speaker 2: Able to still get up to like the upper nineties with the college rehab work, and then that slider in the curveball are both really good. The slider is a legit wipeout pitch.
Speaker 3: Looks like it also could be like Flash seventy eighty great pitch. I also think this situation is an interesting microcosm for a big debate going on right now with the CBA of offloading development to the colleges and not letting players go from high school to the league. Because Carson Wiggins seemed like had a bit of a run in with the Arkansas brass and the coaches where his head coach, I want to get the name right right here, seemed like a weird vibe during the season. It was loading Dave van Horn, great SEC coach name Keith's father, possibly Keith's father from May fourth of this past year. So on the road to Omaha right there on Carson Wiggins. He's one hundred percent healthy, but as of right now, they're not going to let him pitch.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm going to say. I'm not real happy about.
Speaker 2: It, which just brings up the conversation that will be a bigger one that we have about why college development offloading is definitely not the right move for baseball if you actually care about player development, which we know that they don't, that this is all to actually offload costs, because if you make players go to college, they have to go into the miners and then they become legers at an older age, which means they don't get the want so to mega contracts.
Speaker 3: No, of course, and that's why it is a weird thing here because even when Wiggins apparently was fully healthy when he went to the combine, the Draft Combine a month later, he didn't have the same stuff to the show as a freshman. He was only sitting low nineties, the slider, didn't have the same movement, the same philosophy. Did feel like it was a very weird player to evaluate because of that. Because of that, baseball perspectives to even have him on their board, because they were like, how we did a very difficult player to evaluate.
Speaker 1: You'd say it was healthy, We'll know I it's healthy. He didn't look healthy.
Speaker 3: But then we also know we've heard that there were other teams towards the back of the first round that were very keen on Carson Wiggins. And when You're a Mets team that had the thurther second lowest bonus pool in the whole thing. You didn't have the second round pick because you forfeited for Boba Schett. At some point you probably have to take a swing. There is probably the only chance to get something relatively safe, which I think was the main criticism of this pick, because this is not safe at all. But I mean, if you can take a swing, I guess get an Adie great fastball to take the swing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also think too, like we saw him at the combine, so I am a little bit surprised that perspectives didn't know where to rank him.
Speaker 3: Just he was like eight miles an hour off his ABA. Now he was like four miles an hour off his average from the year before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we could still see stuff.
Speaker 2: And the fact that I feel like all the other places were ranking him too, I feel like we shouldn't necessarily just see fourteen nings at the college. We know what the stuff can be, we know what the stuff has been. We know that the Mets have done well with pitching development. I know this is a big conversation to that Jonah Tong's bust and that the Mets haven't done anything recently, but the Mets have done well with pitching development, the other big thing that we have to talk about with this pick too, along with the fact that he's Jackson Wiggins brother Mets. Freddie Peralta to the Cubs, Jackson Wiggins to the Mets.
Speaker 1: It's happening.
Speaker 2: But the Mets didn't have another pick until pick number ninety two, and Carson Wiggins was a guy that at least from the I don't want to say mox because you're not seeing Mox, but from the relative idea of where he could fall in the draft, people thought that it was going to be inside the top ninety or then he wasn't going to be drafted and he was going to go back to school. So for the Mets, they didn't have another opportunity to really go get a guy that it seems like they very much wanted. And I like some people, we're gonna hate the process. I like the process here. I don't like going safe in the draft. I like going for the home run. And it does feel like while there's a huge range of outcomes here with Carson Wiggins, one of the top ones is that you could just you can find a guy who's got a unbelievable fastball slider combo.
Speaker 1: And I think we're not yet.
Speaker 3: We're gonna talk about the rest of his class, and how I think these first two picks of Wiggins and Robbins set the Mets up to maybe take fewer risks later on, take more close to ready products, Take guys who maybe didn't have as high a feelings but at least had generally good floors. But again, the risk on Wiggins is something crazy happens. I also felt like the Mets did a lot of the pre work with Wiggins. Of course, you'd expect that from a team's first round pick, but he already signed like he's ready to go player that again, once he went in the first round, he was getting near his slot, which just kind of makes the whole draft more confusing. Anyway, probably knew he was signing anyway, but nice to see you lock that up so soon with a player who again unbelievably wide range of outcomes.
Speaker 2: A couple guys recently have been taken in the first few rounds by the Mets, the Braves, other teams that haven't thrown that many innings. I wouldn't worry about the innings if there's anything to be worried about it as the injury. But you're gonna hear more now from our friend Andrew Ellis, who covers the Arkansas Razorbacks. We're gonna cut him in real quick. He's gonna tell you a little bit about Carson Wiggins.
Speaker 1: What's going on.
Speaker 4: Andrew ellis here, host of the Bombastic Podcast, the number one podcast for Arkansas Razorback baseball. So while I may not be able to tell you much about the rest of the Mets draft class, can definitely speak pretty confidently on the three former Razorbacks who are set to join the Mets organization, and Carson Wiggins, Cahill Aloy and Cooper Dawsett.
Speaker 1: We'll start with Wiggins.
Speaker 4: Of course, he's kind of the big one, the headliner here. I guess you could call it one of the bigger surprises of the draft. Now, we had been kind of hearing over here in Fayetteville that he had a very high asking price as a draft eligible sophomore. Arkansas was hoping to get him back for a junior season, and I will say the Arkansas coaching staff was of the belief that he had pitched a full season in the SEC next year, he would be a guy that would have a chance to go in the top five to ten overall picks. Now that's their take on the situation. Probably a little bit optimistic, but it kind of tells you what type of talent you're looking at here. Freak athlete. He was a really good high school basketball player. Has a vertical leap of over forty inches. I remember touring the Arkansas facilities the weight room a few years ago and they had it on the board all the you know, the highest broad jump, the highest shuttle time, the highest vertical leap. Wiggins was in the top two or three of all of them at six six. So it kind of tells you what kind of athletic specimen you're talking about here. Only fourteen college innings, we only got to see him close some games as a freshman, gets heard about halfway through the year, has surgery, does not pitch it all this past season, which was very much a polarizing, controversial thing throughout this season. It was kind of a whole will he pitch for Arkansas?
Speaker 5: Will he not?
Speaker 4: Is he going to try and hold out for the draft? Could they maybe get him for next year? Obviously it doesn't seem like that's going to happen, But many people in Fayeville were hoping he get to see that evolved version of Carson Wiggins because they feel like if he had pitched his junior year at Arkansas, this would be one of the top two or three college pitchers taken in next year's draft. So while it does, I'm sure some fans are probably surprised why the Mets if the guy at twenty seven overall who had projections a lot later. A lot of those projections took into account his signability, So in terms of talent, I don't think this is a reach by any stretch of the imagination. I also imagine he's gonna wind up signing for below that three point five slot value there, but a really special talent. His brother, his brother, Jackson, is in the Cubs organization right now. He was a second round pick a few years ago, a little bit older than Carson. He's in Triple A right now, one of the top one hundred prospects in all of baseball, who's on a very nice trajectory. Now they're not the same exact picture, but you can kind of get a glimpse into what that future might look like. And by all accounts, all the scouts and people who would know feel like Carson is the better prospect, the more polished overall pitcher compared to his brother Jackson, who is a little bit more a fastball dependent thrower more so than a pitcher. Seems like Carson is a little bit more ahead in his development and I will see how he looks coming off injury. But making no mistake, the upside is absolutely there. If you want to use him out of the bullpen, he could probably be pitching in games in the next one or two years. But I think him as a starter as a frontline ace is very possible and something that I'd imagine the Mets would want to explore.
Speaker 3: So the next pick, the Mets made, like we told you before, all the way, pick ninety two because of Boba Shed. Athan Robbins, outfielder from Texas. Two things funny about Robbins. One is that there were a lot of knocks. He was mocked in the Mets of twenty seven, which is kind of funny, so it seems like there was a lot of communication with him beforehand too. Two he's from Bucks County, PA. He went seat in all for two years. He's like a relatively local kid, which is kind of a funny wrinkle with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out our friend Mike of Stark Graving Sports. He wanted a Robin's bast round so badly got him in the third round. Best of both worlds for Mike. There's obviously some concerns with Robbins, which is why he dropped to the third round. There's a lot of swing and miss, and something that we saw in the draft this year more than ever in the MLB draft, swing and miss was punishing people.
Speaker 1: Jacob B.
Speaker 2: Lombard fell in the draft because of the swing and misconcerns and a lot of contact. First good athletes were taken higher with the idea that you could develop into that power will decide whether or not that's the right way to go about it. There is no doubt that Aiden Robbins has power. I think he hit the most home runs in the Cape Cod League in the SEC.
Speaker 1: This highest average I believe too in the cape Cod League.
Speaker 2: Yet like he can hit, he does swing and miss. There might be issues with adjusting to the breaking balls at the pro level, but he can hit and he is a good athlete. He's probably gonna be a corner outfielder though, which is another reason why he'd.
Speaker 3: Fall yes a right handed corner outfielder, which means you have a lot of hurdles to overcome to be a first division regular fifty future value player, especially because if you watch Aiden Robbins swing, a lot of the prognosticators have gone through this. It's an incredibly unorthodox movement in the box.
Speaker 1: Big leg kick.
Speaker 3: He kind of leans back and then he kind of just like scoops under the ball consistently. It's the kind of thing that again led itself to significantly higher with rate once he went from the Big East to the SEC, and I likely we will only get higher as Nawie transitions from the SEC to pro ball, and it's something that for him likely to actually become an everyday player at the major league level, it will be on the Mets to fully reworking his swing, allow him to keep his power and improve his contact rate, because he was a guy who had one of the highest barrel rates in the entire country. Shout Out Nash Nash talks Texas's where her countter is posting a lot of a lot of Texas Bengal follows him post a lot of Texas, Yeah, a lot of Texas advanced data and showed that Robbins had in the SEC. I think I think these are all for the SEC, because that's all the SEC people care about. Ninety six percent barrel rate, ninety percent, ninety percent of average exit velocity, ninety percentile regular average exit velocity like ninety percent I expected wOBA, but the highest track out rate and one of the lowest whift rates in zone with rates out of zone, with rates, poor chase rate. That's kind of a mess. But when you think about a third round pick like, you're not getting a fully complete, finished, amazing product either.
Speaker 6: Many people have this problem. I want to eat healthy. I have the willpower, I don't have the time and the organization. I need help. What do you do?
Speaker 7: I mean you go to factor. I got two boys that are looking for the gains and they always come in the house, which I'm looking for food. Now they have actual healthy food that is great for them and you know what, it's ready in the fridge for them to pop in and make it right away.
Speaker 6: And they have meals built around your goals. It could be weight loss, overall nutrition gains more protein, fresh never frozen, over one hundred rotating weekly meals, including globally inspired flavors like Mediterranean and Asian. I get all kinds of different salads from Factor that I love, quick easy. They can be ready in two minutes. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash foul fifty off and use code foul fifty off to get fifty percent off and free daily greens per box with new subscription only, while supplies last until nine twenty seven, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: No in the Mets over the last few years, in their second third, fourth round, they've gotten guys that haven't been complete products, and the minor league system has turned them out in two very good major league players Noel McLain, Ajewing, just to name a few. So let's see what happens with Aiden Robbins again. I like the the stone that's there, which is hit ball hard, hit ball in the air, take a big swing like. Those are all things that I like. Now we start to talk about some of the more interesting picks. Keeping it in the State of Texas. Left handed pitcher Shane Sadao. Is that how he pronounced his last name?
Speaker 1: I believe so. I thought it was Siddoh. I'll try and get a pronunciation for you. When Phil a buster here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but from Texas, A and M another guy who's thera was high in college. But what do we not care about especially in college baseball?
Speaker 1: James Era.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brian was the zra a cal Polly like six like ers, Yes, sideo, sideo. Okay, So Shane Sedeo, he's being comped to Zach Thornton right now, which is kind of funny. I think he's got a little more juice though on the fastball than Thornton.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have the juice yet.
Speaker 3: He's the kind of thing with thora and Eric Logan hanging from Fangress made this comparison where the Mets saw a lefty with tremendous command and you think, if you can get two or three more miles per hour out of him, you get a guy who's a good mid rotation star there. And I thought he was, like I thought he topped outbout ninety seven. I think he did a top doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: He was a sit in. That matters.
Speaker 3: He was a sit in ninety ninety one to ninety three. Guy that's with this top maybe matters if you're gonna wind up in the bullpen. And I think the theme for a lot of these Mets pitchers where again guys who you kind of have to squint to see their potential in the rotation in the future.
Speaker 1: But with why the eyes, you can.
Speaker 3: See all of them being tremendous relievers. A lot of people have lamented the fact that Mets still can't develop relievers, so hey, maybe that happens. But again, the hope is here that he does the Thornton thing where he maintains great command as a lefty and develops more so more velocity to become a more regular starting pitcher. But even low nineties, that fastball has a really nice shape.
Speaker 1: It comes from a low slot.
Speaker 3: A lot of the scouts, Tyler Jennings from Just Baseball saying this lot he comes from a wacky angle. It's a kind of a low slot relief and he has a big extension with a weird horizontal release pointe Shawm and I is Zac Thornton, so it's not fully sideum though he's much more higher a release angle than Shaan and I. But some cool videos from behind Home played again from Tyler Jennings, showed that he also really hides the ball super well, like he comes around and the ball doesn't come from back here until the last seconds.
Speaker 1: It's very difficult to pick up.
Speaker 3: He also has a color which is funny, very similar to very similar thorn. And he also has a low eighty sweeper. So again, if you can add two more Tikes to all of these pitches, I do think you have a big time pitcher. He also had elbow surgery after twenty four. He missed all of twenty five I remember correctly too, So not a lot of mile John nolarm either, which is a big trend also for a lot of the pictures in this Mets class.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, round five we went with another SEC guy, so you see, I think we went SEC for the first cross. Five picks, So you got me a lot of SEC. It's the best conference in college.
Speaker 1: Six picks, say six rounds, five picks.
Speaker 2: Luke McNeely coming in. Next relief picture out of the University of Florida. Wow, where have I heard that before? A right handed relief picture of the University of Florida, drafted by the Mets.
Speaker 1: The thing that's.
Speaker 3: Crazy is that he also looks just like Christian Scott inexactly, like exactly the way that he is as a prospects the relief pitcher again from Florida, go and convert them back to his starter, classic, high spin fastball from a low slot, athletic delivery.
Speaker 1: Bit of the.
Speaker 3: Smaller, slighter guy compared to these other dudes we drafted. I have more our sizes on the guys later on we drafted hash hosses across the board. But I think that McNeely seems like he has a feel for spin. They're gonna just give him sweeper and try and do the exact Christian Scott playbook.
Speaker 1: Why not. I'm interested. Let's do it. Let's see it.
Speaker 2: He's got a pretty good fastball too, So like those are things we talk about all the time. You got to have a good fastball if you're gonna be a successful pitcher at the major league level, especially nowadays.
Speaker 1: It's got a pretty good one.
Speaker 3: And I think the Mets did have this mindset if we have to maybe draft a little bit more power just to get some more power pitchers in the system. And again if they think they can coax lastly, and they've done that successfully with prospects over the years, you kind of see teams find their way into the grooves that they've succeeded with.
Speaker 1: Whether it be the Christian Scott model.
Speaker 3: If here's a beneficient guy with a good fastball shape, Will Watson, let's get sweepers on them.
Speaker 2: How about something as simple as like the Chicago White Sox. Any big lefty that's a starting pitcher. It seems like they're super interested because Chris Sale works so well for them, Like they went and got Nella Schultz, they got Higgins Tagin's and met Garrett Crochet, big lefty.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a look at you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're gonna see later on the board. The Mets did this too, with really big rithies that had as balls that had really high slots, so they didn't wind up having the best shape, kind of like Jack Wendinger, but with good command, they're gonna just teach them a billion pitches. I think that's something that we're gonna see as we keep moving down. But McNeil's definitely McNeely. Mcnel's definitely one of the big guys to watch. And Sadaw seems to me like the best floor pick they made in this whole thing.
Speaker 2: Interesting, all right, next round six, Alex Petrovitch, you were talking about the winninger type guys, right hand and pitcher out of Auburn. He's a low nineties command guy through a ton of strikes, throws pretty straight.
Speaker 3: This is the Jack Windinger pick if I've ever seen what about one hundred percent really felt like that. And I want to shout out Sam Jones from the UK Kentucky Analytics intern He gave a great, deep, dense player profile with dava on Petrovitch.
Speaker 1: Which amazing.
Speaker 3: All great guy, It's awesome, incredible, So again shout out Sam Jones. But big command guy was really nice. Track got mayas walk right fastball has not that good of a shape in the low nineties hard slider. Some people have called it the col I think Sam did as well by the scout's calling it a Slyther big sweeper. But again six' five two for the and ridiculous change, up that's the pitch that's going to set him. Apart so again similar, hope let's see splither possibly change. Up let's see if we can give this guy any kind of, spin more fastball, variations and if you can get out, lefties he could probably find a way to be a major league star hopefully at some, point especially for that big all the old heads that are tired of chasing v low and not throwing, strikes not worrying about command and.
Speaker 2: Control Alex petrovitch is your, guy.
Speaker 1: Right that's the.
Speaker 3: One he also has stress. FRACTURE i think his elbowed last. Year so we only had twenty nine innings first two.
Speaker 1: Years that's all, Man so just think about fracturing your. Elbow, yes.
Speaker 3: Horrible we just kept taking guys that don't have a lot of miles on. Them, Again petrovich feels like really really win and gersh, which.
Speaker 1: YEAH i, mean we'll take.
Speaker 2: IT i know he's struggled a little bit this, year but development's not, linear especially for. Pictures all, Right round, Seven pick two Ten aiden keenan right handed pitcher out Of. Stanford didn't really another guy who didn't have a lot of great numbers out in job For, stanford but he's probably gonna be a. Reliever the exciting thing is sits ninety six pretty consistently and has a sweeper that missus.
Speaker 1: Bats, YEAH i want to shout it.
Speaker 3: Again las shouts this, one asked a lot of The mets up community here for help on this people with nice college data draft. Knowledge Mike, dideno friend of the, pod did the draft guy for baseball. Perspectives he Had keenan as a guy circled beforehand as an interesting middish late round.
Speaker 1: Pick another guy who just was bad in.
Speaker 3: College, yeah high walker rate high, era mostly as a, reliever but flashed especially like in those shorter stints and at the combine with a ninety six ninety seven mile an hour fastball that has a legit shape on. It raised that he raised the armslot a little bit while he was in, school still kind of kept that plus ride with it relative to the arm. Slot he's also a guy that dramatically changed his delivery from freshman year to when he got. Drafted he was like a long arm all the way back release guy by the end of. It now he's a short arm action slightly higher, slot so very different, there big time sweeper that missus bass just doesn't know where it's, going but he kind of has this change that looks like it's not really an efficient pitch at, all like it's in the low. Nineties doesn't kill a lot of Vert SO i do think at some, pie at some point we do show him a kick change or split change or something like that just to add to his. Repertoire but another big. DUDE i think he was like six, three but a little bit skinn. HERE i want to say he was like six three one. Ninety it just seems like The mets are going for these power pitchers who with forrest case, scenario they could be major league believers like in two.
Speaker 2: Years, yeah round eight we go with, ANOTHER i mean just absolute unit of, Dude Landen koenig out Of ole miss right hand, picture six, six two hundred and fifty, Pounds get ready for this guy's, ready ninety six ninety eight out of the.
Speaker 1: Pen, yeah absolute.
Speaker 2: Shed it's also cool because he's from a town that's got like two thousand people in A North northion. Coach that's that's some ball knowledge right. There shout out The koenig. Family something THAT i want to talk, about just, briefly is The mets going so, hard especially early, on at these big school guys that kind of were in these secondary ancillary, roles not necessarily the big guys on the. CAMPUS a lot of the, times again we talked about with player developments not a focus at, college so these guys get put into roles because there are so many other good.
Speaker 1: PLAYERS i am fascinated to see what these kind.
Speaker 2: Of back rooms guys can do now that people will actually focus on their.
Speaker 3: Development it definitely is a big bet on what The mets can do. Internally SO i think they should be kind of cocky about the way they've developed McClain Sprot Scott wehinger over the last three four, years as they've got to be played development staff in.
Speaker 2: PLACE i Know tom, struggling but still he was a nothing. Prospect, yeah became a top fifty guy at one, point so.
Speaker 3: Flash even higher than. That but that's kind of, yeah that's kind of what this. Is and if you asked a lot of these same outlets draft prognosticators about what they thought of some of those guys coming out of the, draft that would have also, said you, know don't see, it probably a high leverage reliever for the next. Level so The mets need to take. Shots The mets need to add depth in the minor league. System and when we thought the depth was really good last year and all those minor league teams were, cruising they all fucking suck this. Year so it is nice to just again get these guys that they're not. Like none of these guys are anything close to finished products by any, means but Like coning sixty six two fifty six ninety seven miles an, hour also looked like a guy from watching video on. Him similar to what you said about not really much player development of college seems like with my, eyes not an optimized, delivery not using his, legs not a big follow, through not a very athletic in his lower. BODY i would love to see him develop as a starting. Pitcher head to the weight, room get a really Good Mets Mets love nutrition, plan and just see because not a good fastball. Shape get me to ninety nine with the with them with the empty shape there and then also he had a nasty, split good at killing a killing spin on that.
Speaker 1: Pitch so, again looks like a high levelge. Reliever worst case.
Speaker 8: Scenario this episode is brought to you By Fan Duel Baseball. Fans THE mlb season is in full swing and Fan duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily. Dingers joining the action is. Easy just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their, game and if you're, right you'll get a profit boost to use your next bet for a chance at extra. Winnings it's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home. Runs so are you ready to play your? Game head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get. Started that's FanDuel dot com Slash. Podcast to opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a. Homer playball and swing for the fences on, FanDuel an official partner Of Major League. Baseball no purchase, necessary opt in. Required bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost. Tokens restrictions, apply including any token expiration and max wager. Amount see terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot. Com gambling problem call or text one eight hundred.
Speaker 2: Gambler all, right let's get into the guy that we have the least. Amount this could be catch out of Cal, Poly Ryan, Taman here's What i've. Seen another big dude takes a big. Swing he's going to have major swing and miss. Problems that's What i've seen from people around the baseball. World that the power output is, exciting the swing and miss is.
Speaker 1: Scary he plays okay.
Speaker 3: Catcher it seems like The mets had a bit of a uh an interest to add to the catching depth in their. System wonder, Why, yeah it seems like we've had a couple of swings and miss on catches the last few, years whether it be, draft international. TRADES i think one of the international, prospects actually one of the ones playing, well is it Rod hernanda is still the cycle and he was a Trade giovanni.
Speaker 1: SOMETHING i, Want Giovanni. Rodriguez, YES i always want to call Him. Guyardo, oh he's nineteen years.
Speaker 3: Old he's still in the. Complex but, catcher. Catcher that's actually, okay he's not doing that bad down. There all, right we'll take, that but that's still a long way. Away you take a guy in, college that's it's kind of also the part of the draft where you have to squint to try and find interesting.
Speaker 2: Things, yeah we're not gonna have too much on all these guys going, forward except The arkansas, guys Because andrew Was andrew And Andrew Andrew.
Speaker 3: Ellis Andrew ellis came up because we drafted Three arkansas. Guys he's an expert An arkansas. Ball but the next pick is someone THAT i think is going to be my late round pick WHO i hope it WHO i hope does something. Cool Nate eisler From dart kind of sometimes hard to Find Ivy league. Ball we did find a really Nice Ivy league pitcher last year and he was the centerpiece of the trade FOR i want to say he was with A kuna For.
Speaker 1: ROBBER i think what was the? NAME i can't remember his, name, though you're.
Speaker 2: RIGHT i almost thought that he Was ellasoult for a, second but that wasn't.
Speaker 1: Him No elsault Was.
Speaker 3: Cardinals he actually he got. Hurt but he's still one who looks like FEAH i.
Speaker 1: Find that right. Now But frank something that Was frank El. Salt, okay you guys won't believe this six, six two.
Speaker 3: Forty he's someone that and is kind of a theme with some of these guys The Metro draft That sadao's like. This he's regarded as a pitcher more so than a.
Speaker 1: Thrower Truman. Paulie Truman.
Speaker 3: Paulie that was a big time fastball. Shape But isler has a plus fastball. Shape sits in the low, nineties but really good extension from a low, nineties uh low nineties velo and also from this huge. DUDE i want to shout Out Joe doyle Overslot. Baseball he put out a great rive up scouting report On eisler has a gyro slide that's just go to secondary and a curveball that can get as high as like get to the low seventies in high seventies in. Velocity change it that he makes in once in a. While apparently this something That doyle pointed, out that he's really really good spinning the, ball and he's really good at getting downward action on those breakers from a really high release, height good extension from this big dude makes the fun play off of that fastball and that diving gyro. BALL i almost got him confused in my head BECAUSE i read a great article By Andrew alfarez On Fangrafts today by How alvarez throws a curveball In. GYROSLIDER i like the same exact velow, tumbled the curve has like seven more inches of depth on.
Speaker 1: It SO i got those guys confused my. Head my bad on. That it's been a long.
Speaker 3: Day but, again just drafting big dudes who look like they know how to, pitch you're gonna try and winninger.
Speaker 2: Them there's something to squeeze out of them a little, bit which is. Good you're not drafted like guys like he's gonna top out ninety, two will never be able to get bigger or faster because of his.
Speaker 1: SIZE i like. It round.
Speaker 2: Eleven this is my favorite late round. Pick that's not going to be the catcher THAT i don't know if we signed or, not but kuhi Oh alloy picked number three Thirty round. Eleven outfield drive Or arkansas his brother's will he? WILL i think that's how we pronounce. It, yeah who went To.
Speaker 1: TENNESSEE i Remember. ARKANSAS i think he Was arkissas and he was drafted by The. Orioles, yes but he was.
Speaker 2: A first round pick last. Year here's what we've got On. Alloyd doesn't have a lot of, production has had some injury stuff going. On but when we've seen him, hit he has a batted ball that went four hundred and seventy feet in the air and he hit it one hundred and seventeen miles an. Hour he takes a, violent violent.
Speaker 3: SWING i love it this part of the. Draft, yeah he might as well just shoot for something like that and we'll Let andrew take more of.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 4: Yep Kahill aloya is a personal favorite of mine BECAUSE i feel like watching him.
Speaker 1: Hit it's so.
Speaker 4: Relatable you, know this is a guy who does not get cheated in the. Box he's swinging for the. Fences he's swinging to dude. Damage there's a lot of swinging. Miss he will absolutely swing and miss at a slider in the other batter's box if you give him a. Chance but if you make a mistake over the heart of the, Plate Cahill aloy is doing damage with. It his, brother by the, way is in The Orioles Organization Golden Spikes award winner was a first round draft. Pick definitely not you, Know caheo is not on that level as an overall. Player his brother plays, shortstop is a little bit more of a well rounded overall. Player But, cahillo in my, opinion has better raw power than his, brother which is saying a lot because, again his brother was a first round. Pick cahillo's got a lot of, power and his exit velocities reflect that doesn't always make consistent contact and he has a little bit of a trouble lifting the. BASEBALL a lot of his line his highest exit velocities or line drives or ground, Ball so that's probably SOMETHING i would imagine a professional organization would want to maybe clean up a little bit with, him get him to lift the ball a little bit. More of, course you also want him to recognize spin a little bit, better cut down on the swing and, miss maybe walk a little bit. More but this is a guy that is a lot of fun to, watch really. Athletic swing was also a former. Pitcher when he entered, college he was going to Byu is where he spent his freshman. Season he was going to college as a, pitcher and then quickly they, realized wait a, minute you've got a lot more upside with the, bat so he's switched. Over has had a little bit of trouble finding a. Position arkansas played him at first base a little bit when he first got to. Campus he spent a little bit of time in right. Field that was a little bit of an. Adventure if he can somehow stick in the, outfield the throwing arm is well about, average so that would definitely help. HIM i think for his, future if he's going to play in the big, leagues he probably needs to find a, position and that probably needs to be in the. Outfield that's a little bit of a work in, progress but a fun player there In kahi o.
Speaker 2: Aloy all, right thanks To, Andrew he's gonna be back for one, more don't you?
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 2: Worry Aj crodell up, next right handed pitcher out OF u See Santa barbara and pick number.
Speaker 1: Twelve he's an.
Speaker 2: Interesting guy WHERE i THINK i read something where he might not even possibly sign BECAUSE i think he's a little bit, younger and he's someone who they Expect vilo to, jump which means that he's gonna throw harder because right now he's a low velo. Guy but all the underlying stuff makes you think that there's a lot more in.
Speaker 3: There, okay he's again six, four two hundred, pounds he had only twenty one years, old just turned twenty. One from The Santa barbara's the, gauchos, right they could be THE i think that's the gout shows he. Was he's rely on campus three, years SO i guess then.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's not. Him Maybe i'll mix him up with somebody.
Speaker 3: Else, yeah maybe he was that Guy, cohening or maybe it was The stanford Guy. KEENAN i don't, know but BECAUSE i did see.
Speaker 2: Something about basically how he has crazy spin has great looking. Fastball there's just no vlow behind it whatsoever right.
Speaker 3: Now Maybe, PETROVICH i don't, know no, idea but, yeah he's a low velo guy with another one good extension.
Speaker 1: Walked everybody gonna just see what you could do.
Speaker 3: There BUT i think the next pick The mets made it round, thirteen three ninety is probably the most interesting pick that they made after those first four or, five and Is Jacob, madrid high school catcher from Notther Dame High, School.
Speaker 1: California school has produced a lot of.
Speaker 3: Pros he he looks like he's the one That while The mets spent a ton of their bonus pool on the first two guys with both high risk, Picks madrid seems like a guy that they circled as someone they really really really want it late and hopefully seems like they organized their the bonus pool the way they're going to retain.
Speaker 1: Him, YEAH i hope they do a lot of these.
Speaker 2: Times there are a lot of times when you take a pick here it is a little bit more. Risky but like you, said if we're gonna save money on these other, spots which it seems like The mets, did maybe.
Speaker 3: That's the thing they. DID i think they were straight up by the end of. IT i think That robins gets like a second round. Pay i'm saying the middle. ROUNDS i don't think they want to overslaid. Anybody they just playing a bunch of college sec.
Speaker 1: Dudes, well that's What i'm. SAYING i think that they saved.
Speaker 3: Money, yeah save, money but we're just kind of playing it very straight.
Speaker 1: Up women saving. MONEY i don't. KNOW i wouldn't be.
Speaker 2: SURPRISED a lot of these guys don't have any.
Speaker 1: Leverage you can.
Speaker 2: Think we just saw a first round pick sign with The braves for three million. Underslot who was who was a consensus top ten player in the.
Speaker 3: DRAFT i think to us he was consents top, seven but he's looked like probably more top fifteen. TALENT i think these players instantly have much more leverage with nil, Now.
Speaker 1: Daniil's not that.
Speaker 2: Much we've had this conversation, before got much mask getting not getting that much the top top guys are they have the LEVERAGE a few hundred g's for the top. Guys, yeah not for you, Know Zach. Crotchfeldt you know WHAT i. Mean maybe maybe there's a lot of not For Nate eisler at Of, dartmouth.
Speaker 7: So not for.
Speaker 3: Him i'm talking about like THESE sec guys who probably have decisions to make even as, juniors which usually doesn't.
Speaker 1: Happen BUT i.
Speaker 2: Don't think relievers are getting nil money that they.
Speaker 3: Care, yeah you're probably right about, That but also the team loses a lot of leverage.
Speaker 1: Because you just don't want to lose these. Picks of, Course.
Speaker 2: Jacob, madrid, THOUGH i do think a lot of the money that they're gonna be saving on these other picks when it eventually comes, out is gonna go hopefully towards. Him we don't have any confirmation whether or not he is leaning towards signing or. NOT i don't think The mets would have taken him here if they didn't think they had a shot at drafting him or signing. Him the big thing here is big, tools strong, kid good, catcher has a cand of an, arm really good behind the. Plate there's development there that can come and. Grow and, truthfully if people didn't think that they would have to pay so much overslot for where they draft, him he's probably picked well inside the top six.
Speaker 3: Rounds, yes and again maybe just because he hasn't hit, much and again him talking about the high school kid, here that's what it's have. Said it's more of a defense first. Profile some teams probably don't want to take that overslot risk and try to burn a bunch of money on. That he's committed To, oregon so, again that's a good baseball, team but not like the biggest baseball. POWERHOUSE i think you could probably pry him. Away also from his high, School Hunter green and Gian Carlos, Stanton.
Speaker 2: Oh Notre dame high school was a. POWERHOUSE i think they have the number one high school basketball player going to college next year was going to be the number one overall pick in THE nba draft most. Likely really he was also pitching as recently as last, season hitting ninety on the gun.
Speaker 1: Fifteen, like, yeah sign me, kids sign me. Up let's do it all.
Speaker 2: Right all these next picks are gonna be a little bit, fast a little bit a little bit. Quick round, Fourteen zach krotchfelt crazy cast name ever pick four twenty.
Speaker 1: Pick Wow crotchfeldt at four to.
Speaker 2: TWENTY i love give me the jersey hang hang it In, syracuse but, Yeah zach krotchfelt From troy left handed, pitcher you have anything on?
Speaker 1: HIM i saw seems to an okay.
Speaker 3: Fastball it seems like okay, fastball especially from the left, side could play. Up the one guy who caught my eye from this group down here Was Dustin hagen's the next pick From Missouri Saint. Louis he has a hoppy fastball where if they could coax velosophy eye of it looks like again he's the guy that profiles hopefully being quality reliever in the big leagues one.
Speaker 2: Day and then his skidrey at pick four to eighty out OF lsu right handed, pitcher.
Speaker 3: Yep and not super interesting from without drag. There and Then Cooper dasset here a pitcher From. Arkansas we got a little where From andrew, again just gonna let him take it in.
Speaker 4: Terms Of Cooper dawes a similar story To wiggins in terms of you haven't seen much out of his college. Career Had Tommy john surgery at the tail end of the twenty twenty four, season which had him out for the entirety of the twenty twenty five, season and in this past year he threw about.
Speaker 1: Fifteen innings For.
Speaker 4: Arkansas numbers weren't great had some ups and. Downs the command in his year back From Tommy john was just not really, there but he did see an increase in velocity through his high as ninety nine miles an hour behind closed doors At, arkansas he was more ninety five than ninety seven in. Games for the most, part the stuff is very much. Electric he's got a big swing and miss slider as, well so it's not, just you, know like he's depending on this, fastball but definitely more of a no doubt about it relief, Option like there's no question about whether or not you're not gonna try to turn this guy into a. Starter this is very much a high leverage reliever or. Bust and when you're a guy that throws ninety eight with a, legitimate you, know swing and miss secondary pitch, there it's not like you're gonna need to completely reinvent the wheel to get this guy to be. Effective so as a seventeenth round, pick he's another one THAT i was kind of hoping would secretly sneak on through the draft And arkansas could have him as a senior with an older guy with some experience and, Velocity BUT i think it's probably best for him to go ahead and start his pro. Career wishing for the best for all these, Guys but, YEAH i Think wiggins is definitely one that gonna be, polarizing gonna be you, know some mixed opinions on, this for, Sure but at least for me and most people in the state Of arkansas and definitely those connected to the program At, arkansas they feel like this kid's a freak and they feel like his ceiling, is you, know as high as any pitcher in this draft. Class so we'll see how his pro career plays. Out but that's kind of my report on the three. Arc it's all razorbacks were taken by The. Mets you, guys have a good one.
Speaker 2: And then pick a round, Eighteen pick five Forty Marcus, ward outfielder out Of King's rigg Kings Ridge Christian High.
Speaker 1: School what do you got on?
Speaker 3: Him, james big time, athlete another high school. Guy they're going to try the, sign but The mets are actually going to apparently offer him a contract.
Speaker 1: To be a.
Speaker 2: Pitcher oh, Interesting so there's a good chance that he doesn't, sign, then.
Speaker 1: Yes very good chance of this.
Speaker 3: SIGN i think The mets tried this also last, year very similarly with this exact idea with a high school kid laid, round real, twitchy but then they in sign him.
Speaker 2: Round Nineteen John, smith the third outfielder out OF ucf and then round Twenty Cooper, schulti shortstop out of The university Of. Iowa the reason we don't have much on these. Guys if they make it to DOUBLE, a it's a major. Win it's, huge it's great for the. Organization we'll find out more as we.
Speaker 3: Go, yeah AND i think that as some of these guys get into pro, ball we're gonna try and pay attention to more of the, draft the guys The mets sign that weren't drafted because again with one of his lowest bonus pools and all, base they have to be more creative on the. Edges and that happens because we go over the third level luxury tax and we signed the player for the qualifying. Offers so The mets that we're at there every single yearly going to this draft and the major disadvantage it makes their. Strategy the thing THAT i think is interesting to, track and it felt like This mets team took big swings THAT i think are high risk and in The robins, case seemingly medium reward, early and then they tried to get, like you, know makeup, guys size, guys sec guys, here like hopefully within two years you're at least in our.
Speaker 2: Bullpen can't wait for twenty thirty one When jackson And Carson wiggins are in The mets rotation.
Speaker 1: Opening they can't.
Speaker 3: WAIT i can't believe that we had Two aidens in the first six picks of this draft and we've taken Two carsons in the first, round three differently.
Speaker 1: Too, yeah two differently Spelled. Aiden's it's a, Man we have Taken. Carsons what is going?
Speaker 3: On, yes especially out with some PEOPLE i talked to bound some draft stuff off with for. THIS i Mentioned mike to you In Baseball, perspectus longtime friend of the, Podcast Isaac, groffman who's now lead analytics With Coastal, carolina and they had some by draft.
Speaker 2: Picks they Have South carolina and yank him when we grabbed everybody.
Speaker 1: Else they're damn.
Speaker 3: It Now Coastal baby's. Runner he's rolling with Coast this guy get that. Degree but, yeah so shout out those. Guys help with that. End Shout andrew for helping. Us shout out shout out The Joe, Doyle Tyler jennings and my guy over, Here Sam.
Speaker 2: Jones shout Out Lance. Brasdowski he was the one who was hyping Up wiggans on the. DRAFT i love to see.
Speaker 3: IT i, Mean lance is a stuff guy above. All Use we're gonna try With lance on soon talk about the stay of The mets minor leage pitching, development because he did say before the Season mets are number one pitching development team, still so we're gonna hang our hats on.
Speaker 1: That and that's all we got for, you.
Speaker 2: Guys thank you for, Listening thank you for watching OUR mlb draft recap for The mets this. Season makes you are subscribed to the YouTube channel so you can be miserable watching all The mets the rest of the, season just like we.
Speaker 1: Are subscribe if you're.
Speaker 2: Listening to Us Apple, Podcasts, Spotify Google Drops The, ring drops a, review download and. Subscribe you can Follow james on social media At James shianna And I'm Draftnick. Mark we'll catch you guys maybe in a day or, two probably talk about some other Random met.
Speaker 1: Stuff we'll see you that peace, OUT pas like Call.
Speaker 5: Mets then and then and then through and then and then