Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR or stream us live on the Peacock Act. How do the Lions live up to the height? We'll discuss in the final hour on this Wednesday, Dan and the dan Ne's Dan Patrick Show. More phone calls as well. You got a sneaky pick, a sexy pick to win the Super Bowl this year. I'm going to have a lot of people say the following Kansas City Chiefs Philadelphia Eagles, it'll be a rematch. We often do that. We're like, well, of course, those seem to be the two best teams because we haven't seen any other football aside from that. We've seen preseason games, but we saw those two in the Super Bowl and you're thinking, well, we got most of their team back, both of them. Well, here's Kansas City without Travis Kelcey. Maybe for tomorrow night. They don't have Chris Jones. You know, you keep going back to Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid like they'll figure it out. Well, at some point it catches up with you and you can still have a great coach and a great quarterback and you can't overcome some of these things. The Detroit Lions, they started out one and six, ended up nine to eight, and they had that momentum going into this season. We're looking at the division, doesn't look like it's a great division. Maybe you only have one playoff team out of that division, which would be odds on favorites, the Detroit Lions eight seven, seven to three. DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle is that DP show. You can watch the game tomorrow night on NBC in Peacock. It'll be the Chiefs and the Detroit Lions. The betting line was six and a half. Now it's down to four and a half after the injury to Travis Kelcey and also the hold out by Chris Jones. You also have Nick Bosa who probably won't be playing in the season opener with the forty nine ers. Pole question for the final hour is going to be what seat No. O'Connor, Dan, let me update you here.
Speaker 2: Uh, there's the people who could spend unlimited now has jumped up to twenty percent. Is that people lying so.
Speaker 1: You can you can spend whatever you want and you don't have to run it by your wife?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are those people telling the truth? Does that really exist?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: If I'm buying a pair of tennis shoes or something, I'm not going to clear it. But if I was going to buy a land cruiser like PAULI did, I probably do that, you know, because that takes up a little bit of space, you know, just a pair of shoes, I take it. You know, all of a sudden, you got another car in the driveway, so that one might have to be run by the home office. Just say yeah.
Speaker 5: I know a guy who wanted to surprise his wife with a car for her birthday, which I think is great. But he bought the ideal car his wife wanted. He knew which one kind he wanted. She wanted a certain color, like they had talked about it. He decided to go with the color that he thought was best. Man did it go over poorly and she was trying to be cool about it. She goes, oh, I thought it'd be maybe a blank, he said, I thought this color would be better. It's like he got he went ninety three yards.
Speaker 1: And kicked a field goal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because he was it was she was, I saw the discussion happen, and he went the other way.
Speaker 1: I had a friend who bought his wife a portie and she said, how do you expect me to get in and get out of that?
Speaker 3: And I went, oh boy, nice to appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: So he had to sell the Porsche bought it, surprise, how do you expect me to get in and out of that car?
Speaker 3: I had to sell it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nothing to see here, all right, sneaky pick, Todd, your sneaky pick to win the Super Bowl this year? A sexy pick is going to be.
Speaker 7: Who sounds like I'm all in on the Saints and Derek car for some reason. So I'm gonna go way out in a limit, say the Saints are gonna go on some kind of run. If I want to be, you know, a little wild about it, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna go with I mean, you can like the Saints and you can like Derek Carr. You don't have to pick them, as you're saying, Yeah, so I want to go.
Speaker 7: With a long shots since I've been kind of going in that direction. I'm gonna say Derek car and the Saints are gonna do something very special this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, see, Noel Connor, do you have a sexy pick?
Speaker 2: I don't know that we can call it sexy, like you can't say the Bills are forty nine? Ers would be sexy?
Speaker 4: No? Right?
Speaker 2: I mean that's too although it would be fun.
Speaker 1: Because most people are going to take the Niners, Eagles, maybe the Cowboys, Bengals. In the NFC and in the AFC, you're gonna have Kansas City Buffalo, maybe the Bengals. You might get some people are gonna go that's who else?
Speaker 5: Do I?
Speaker 2: Okay, what about if I said the See now, I'm just like throwing random things out.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: What about the Broncos?
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, that's right. Do you believe that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Because I already told you the two that I believe. Okay, But if I start going down this list and I'm like, ah, what's gonna get a reaction?
Speaker 1: How about the Broncos? Okay, Marvin, what about you? Sneaky pick for the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with the Dolphins.
Speaker 5: Okay, fair enough, Paul sneaky pick, not really sneaky, more historically sneaky. At some point, the Chargers have to hit on this. It's like playing cards. They've had a talented roster most of my life. I've always thought the roster is good, going back to the Tomlinson Antonio Gates days.
Speaker 1: They've got a great roster. Yeah, but they feel like they always hit on nineteen, like they'll go, yep, I'll take a card and then they bust.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go Chargers just because they and they're not an underdog, but historically there.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go the Baltimore Ravens. All right, sneaky pick, go to the super Bowl. Tomorrow. We'll have outlandish hot takes that might actually come to fruition.
Speaker 5: Yes, I was watching NFL Network last night. They're showing playoff games to get you hyped for the season. That lost by the Bills in this cold weather at home to the Bengals. They lost twenty seven to ten. We kind of forgot how much the Bengals handled them that day. They're going to regret that one if it doesn't go well in the near future, they're gonna re at that game forever.
Speaker 1: Oh feels like this is their year, Like this has to be their year. Last year felt like it had to be their year. They're not going to get many more of these. Oh, this is going to be their year. This has to be their year, the Bengals. It makes me nervous with you know, Joe Burrow. You know, when you break a bone or have surgery, it heals. But when you have something like this that he has, it's lingering. Cooper Cup, the injury is lingering. They don't even know what's wrong with him with his hamstring. And now you got Joe Burrow and it just lingers. When you have surgery, they clean it up and send you back out there and you're usually okay. This is one of those where they go, We're not quite sure sometimes rest you know, we're gonna treat this ultrasound, We're gonna do all these different things, and then it doesn't get any better, and then Joe Burrow might have to play with this. All right, We'll get some phone calls coming up. We'll talk to a former All Pro lineman he used to block for Barry Sanders, Lomas Brown. He works for the Lions. He's one of their radio analysts. See like seven Pro Bowls as a offensive tackle for the Lions.
Speaker 5: Seven you think so? Let me see.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he played eighteen seasons for like four different teams.
Speaker 5: Seven straight Pro Bowls. How do you not go to the Hall of Fame and make seven straight Pro Bowls? That seems like the cusp of you.
Speaker 1: Should be well, didn't we do this before? The most Pro Bowl appearances without being in the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we got to go back at least a decade, give guys time to retire.
Speaker 3: We're checking, yes, Marv, Yeah, we did that for MLB for sure. We talked Steve Garvey. Think he made like ten ten he's not in the Hall.
Speaker 1: Ten All Star Games? Yeah, okay, yeah, I don't know. Offensive lineman with seven straight Pro Bowls? And this is when it used to mean something when he went to the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 5: Is it harder to do it when you're on a low averag team like the Lions are easy because you're the only good player like Joe Thomas was a stalwart of the Browns when they stunk.
Speaker 1: Well, Barry Sanders is rushing for fifteen hundred yards. Well, who's blocking for him? Well, Lomas Brown is Hey, he's a Pro Bowl probably. I mean he was good. But most of the time, if you looked at Barry when he ran, it'd be like, no hole here, no hole here, two yard loss, Give it to Barry again, No hole here, no hole. Oh there's a little bit sixty eight yards. I don't think any running back in history had more losses but more big gains than Barry Sanders did. Yeah, it was either this is gonna detonate and he's gone, or you're gonna suffocat him behind the off you know, you know the offensive line line of scrimmage, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 3: For for offensive linemen, since they don't have stats, don't they just you know, go by a who's got the most rushing yards? All right, pick a lineman from that team and he'll go to the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 1: Well, they can do holding calls. How many sacks did you give up? False starts? Uh, then they're they're going to look at you. Well, you know, offensive line is still about pass protection as well. It's not just did you run the ball?
Speaker 3: Well, well, back in that day, you know what long as Brown was playing, Yeah, I'm sure running back was the position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you still had to protect Scott Mitchell.
Speaker 3: Who Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who was Was there a h Naple? What was his name? Out of Colorado quarterback? Yes? Was it k n A A P P L E.
Speaker 4: Am.
Speaker 1: I just making something up with the Lions, like seventies right?
Speaker 5: Not not Eric Hipple? No, sounds like Napple?
Speaker 2: Maybe Jeff Jeff Who Napple?
Speaker 1: Jeff Napple?
Speaker 2: Number sixteen?
Speaker 1: Did he played for the Lions.
Speaker 2: He played for the Bills, Broncos, the Calgary Stampeders, the Denver gold in the New Jersey Generals.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, so maybe it's not him, Eric Hipple, Eric Hippole, Jeff Napple, Jeff Naples. So there was a Napple.
Speaker 2: Don't sleep on that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Derek Carr's brother, David Carr, is going to join us on the program tomorrow right to that is correct. Is Tony Gonzalez joining us on Friday?
Speaker 6: He is.
Speaker 1: And by the way, if you're a fan of Tregger and our meat, Friday, we unveil the new cooking, new grilling area, the Treger Hit Tregger Hood that'll be coming up on Friday. Chad is coming in, Shad, Shad is coming in and kicking Tyler to the curb. Yeah, Shadwick Bozeman Junior the third is coming in to do some cooking soon. Really, yes, Marv.
Speaker 3: Do you think Tony Gonzalez is saying to himself, damn, I wish I was born ten years later, cause.
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought you were gonna say something about his ex wife or girlfriend Lauren Sanchez, who's with Jeff Bezos.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't know that. Boy. The gun is loaded today, VP, you took ed Warder's gun ed.
Speaker 1: That story? I thought he was crazy. Yesterday Edward is saying he got threatened by Tank Johnson of the Cowboys and they were gonna have somebody knock him off.
Speaker 5: Finally a real cowboys story, and no one cover him, and he gave an actual name.
Speaker 7: I thought he'd say, Yeah, I don't want to go to who specifically it was, but I was threatened by a player.
Speaker 1: He was gonna kill him. Yeah, all these shows cover Cowboys stuff, even when there's no story. You have a story where Edward is being threatened. Somebody's gonna kill him because he's saying mean things about Johnson. D threatened to kill me.
Speaker 5: Dak Prescott responsible for problems in the locker room twenty years ago with the cowboys.
Speaker 1: What would Dak Prescott have done with ed Warder?
Speaker 2: Because it's the only time I ever bought a gun.
Speaker 1: He bought a gun. This guy threatened him.
Speaker 2: Anyone anyone hear that story?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Hello, it was like no, everybody picked up on the story about Dion calling him out, even though Ed goes, I haven't written anything in thirty years and Dion's calling me out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this would have been seven o eight. Tank Johnson was a cowboy.
Speaker 1: And now he works for the commissioner? Is that right?
Speaker 5: What not to do?
Speaker 1: Has he had a security Did they look down his resume and go, yeah, let me see any priors threatened ed Warder with a gun? Okay, we can.
Speaker 5: Look never charged, never charged mission.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't blame you. You know, we would have threatened Ed as well. Ed goes out and buys a gun, and Tank Johnson asked Edwarder where he lives, and Ed goes, I'm gonna make you work a little bit harder. Damn. That was an unbelievable story yesterday. Unbelievable.
Speaker 5: All right, Oh, I actually found the story suspended. Tackle says he ect to play for Dallas. Edwarder reported by to Night that lengthy meetings blah blahah. Tank Johnson was suspended from the Cowboys in the fall of two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: Well so he got suspended for threatening Edwarder. No for a twenty.
Speaker 5: Five year old Johnson, who played for the Bears, can't play until the second half of the season because of an eight game NFL suspension for violating probation on a gun charge outside of the facility. This is separate from the Edwarder threatening my God situation. Edwarder broke the story that he was going to be off the field, so Tank doubled down and threatened Ed's life.
Speaker 1: Before Travis Kelsey got injured, the Chiefs were six and a half point favorites. They are now four and a half point favorites over under. Patrick Mahomes passing yards tomorrow nine Todd I'll start with you three, twenty three Night.
Speaker 3: O'Connor uh three twenty five, Marv two ninety four and a half.
Speaker 1: Paul ninety eight, two eighty six and a half wrong over under according to DraftKings, Jared Goff passing yards tomorrow Night, Todd two twenty one, Seaton two seventy five, Marv two fifty eight, Paulie.
Speaker 5: Two fifty four for golf two fifty six and a half.
Speaker 2: This is really a needle in a haystack. The stardage one gotta admit.
Speaker 1: Well, you could be in the in the neighborhood here, Uh over over under win for the Chiefs this year twelve and a half Marvin.
Speaker 3: Eleven and a half Blue Bloom Blue.
Speaker 1: We did that.
Speaker 8: We did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, but that's why I wanted to see if you would.
Speaker 5: I was about to get it wrong again, Jesse. Thank you for not going to me first, and I was just about to get it wrong again.
Speaker 1: I did eleven and a half for the Kansas City Chase.
Speaker 3: I can believe I got that right. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got it write both time, Marvin.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jim Rice to eleven two hours apart. You got the same question, correct.
Speaker 3: I mean, look at me.
Speaker 1: You are the most valuable Dan at so far.
Speaker 3: Jim Rice is the answer.
Speaker 1: Yes, You're like a good show, made it great? Yeah? Uh Paul and Iowa, Hi, Paul, what what is on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 8: A happy sy Hawk week from the state where both teams are gambling. On the game. But I have a definitely not going to make the Super Bowl. Teams that nobody mentioned. Okay, that is the vikings, maybe the playoffs last year. They haven't fixed the secondary. They're definitely not going back to a playoffs this year, let alone the super Bowl. And suck at Stint boy.
Speaker 1: Uh wow, suck at stint stent boy.
Speaker 7: I don't mind sucking back row, even suck a knee. But then the stint boy part, Yeah, obviously don't understand what's discomfort of it?
Speaker 1: I was, Uh, of course you doesn't. I was at a book signing last night and people came up and said, hey, would you put suck at back row? And and somebody else said would you do bloop bloop? I was like okay, and then somebody else says, hey, nobody has it better than we do, or who has it better than we do? Nobody?
Speaker 9: Great?
Speaker 1: So, uh these things are you know, kind of uh infiltrating, you know, are they going to make Webster Dictionary?
Speaker 3: Did you oblige on all those things?
Speaker 7: Was there anything that was asked was like wait a second, now, I'm not going to run now.
Speaker 1: Nobody asked me to sign a body part or anything. I just signed the book. I would sign a body part like an arm or something leg back Jess, why not an honor? Why not? Why not stint Pole?
Speaker 3: Why was they provide a sharpie whatever?
Speaker 1: Stint Point? Did we find out about the seven Pro Bowls?
Speaker 5: Paulie, Yeah, it looks like eight is the number eight nine. I can't find any players with nine Pro Bowls who aren't going to the Hall of Fame or in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: But seven consecutive Pro Bowls for Lomas Brown.
Speaker 5: Right, like if he had had seven and then gotten injured, like Tony Boselli, he's going in. But because he played seven more seasons and was good not maybe not Pro Bowl?
Speaker 1: He played eighteen seasons and he got a Super Bowl ring with the Tampa Bay Buccaneer last season. All right, Well ask Lomas what did the Lions have to do to live up to the hype? More phone calls coming up as well, we're back after this and the Dan Patrick Show. Simply safe home security is here to help you fall is here. And if you're like me, you want to settle back into your routine. Kids at school, spare time filled with practice, doctor practices and seasonal activities, and you want to make sure that if the house is empty, it's not vulnerable. Simply Safe Home Security twenty four to seven Live guard protection designed to help stop crime in real time. Simply Safe professional monitoring agents can actually see, speak to, and deter the intruder with simply Safe's new smart alarm wireless indoor camera. Love these people, They're always coming up with something to make your life better. Safer twenty four to seven Live guard Protection. The new smarter Alarm indoor camera works seamlessly as part of simply Safe system to keep your whole home safe. Simply Safe experts will set it up. You can install it, but it'll take you about thirty minutes or less. But simply Safe does have experts who will do this for you as well. For a limited time, get twenty percent off your new system when you sign up for fast protect monitoring. Visit simplysafeedan dot com. There is no safe like simply Safe. Thanks for listening to the Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. You can watch the game coming up tomorrow night on NBC and Peacock. It'll be the kickoff Kansas City Chiefs the Detroit Lions. Lions radio analyst former Pro Bowl offensive tackle also picked up a Super Bowl ring with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Lomas Brown joining us on the program. Lomas, good to see you. You look great. I'm worried about the hype. I'm worried about the expectations. It's been a while since the Lions have had these kind of expectations. So what's your thought going into Tomorrow night about this team?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Dan, I tell everybody, I'm sipping the kool aid right now. I'm not guzzling the kool Aid. I'm just sipping it right now. You are so right, my good man. And this is been such a long time since the expectations have been hot like they are around here in Detroit.
Speaker 4: The fan base is ready.
Speaker 10: I think the team is ready to go up there and face the Kansas City team, which we all know they're one of the best teams in this league each and every year. So we're hoping that this hype train that we got a lot of people on the hype train right now, So hopefully we'll be able to keep them on the train and won't lose any passengers.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's your biggest concern about the Lions this season?
Speaker 10: So, my biggest biggest concern with the Lions right now is our defense.
Speaker 4: That's been my biggest thing.
Speaker 10: We know what the offense can do, it's the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 4: We know what.
Speaker 10: We finished that last year, and towards the end of the season we became a better defense, but still finishing the you know, towards the bottom of the pack.
Speaker 4: That's just not gonna get it done.
Speaker 10: We had too many shootouts last year that we tried to win and we couldn't win.
Speaker 4: So hopefully this year we won't be in as many close games.
Speaker 10: Hopefully the defense will be able to step up some good service for the offense.
Speaker 1: How confident are you and Jared Goff?
Speaker 4: Very confident in Jared.
Speaker 10: I mean, man Dan, just to see him from when he first got here to the confidence level he has now used to see him. He walks around, he got a little chested, a little air in his chest, and I like that because he's a zuding that confidence.
Speaker 4: To the team.
Speaker 10: The rest of the guys feed off of that. So I think Jared there's been a godsend and I think he set this stuff up to be the quarterback for the Lions for a long time.
Speaker 1: The Lions draft strategy was a little confusing because teams don't value running back, so would they do they draft a running back and then teams don't value middle linebackers, and then they get a linebacker here. How would you rank the draft now a few months later, Well.
Speaker 4: It was shocking.
Speaker 10: You're right when we picked Jamir Gibbs, but kind of trying to pick the mind of Ben Johnson our offensive court.
Speaker 4: They a creative guy that man.
Speaker 10: Look damn, this is the same man that put an offensive tackle in motion on third down and actually threw the pass to him on third down and an actual game.
Speaker 4: So you know, the sky's the limit for Ben Johnson.
Speaker 10: I'm just I just want to see what he's gonna be able to do with a Jamire Gibbs, because he could put this guy all over the field. And to be honest with you, Jack Campbell, the linebacker, I've been pleasantly surprised, I really have been. He's a big guy, man, six ' five about two point fifty in there, and that's.
Speaker 1: A long guy.
Speaker 10: He has great range in the middle. So I want to continuously see him get better and better. Even though he's a rookie.
Speaker 4: I think he's gonna play a lot for the Lions this year.
Speaker 1: He's Loomis Brown. He works for the Lions, the radio analyss, former All Pro tackle.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite Barry Sanders story?
Speaker 10: Look, you, it's almost like a stray. You know, when you feed a straight every time you turn around, they're back at your house.
Speaker 4: That's how Barry was.
Speaker 10: I fed him once or twice, and every time I would turn around Dan, I would get that knock at the door, and that's a little fella, the little big fellow standing at my door, ready to give a meal.
Speaker 4: So that's him.
Speaker 10: If you're limited with your food consumption or your food bill, don't invite Barry Sanders over because he would eat you out of house and home.
Speaker 4: Wait.
Speaker 1: Wait, so your favorite story is not him running with the football, it's him showing up at your house wunning food.
Speaker 4: Eating all my food.
Speaker 10: And then he would show up already eating, so he would already have something he's eating and still show up at your house to eat.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, that's my favorite story of the little big fella.
Speaker 1: If he had stayed playing, would he be the all time rushing leader easily?
Speaker 4: Easily?
Speaker 10: I mean Walter Payton's record was writ and right king distance for Barry. But that's how Barry's been his whole career, even when he got back in nineteen eighty nine. Barry was never motivated by money, never motivated by recognition that those things never motivated him. So Walter Payton's record was something that was an afterthought to him. Making more money in this league was an afterthought. Barry was more concerned with his help getting out healthy and being able to live a productive life.
Speaker 1: His agent called me, I was at sports Center. He said, Barry is going to retire. He's going to London. He's going to be on a flight. But you can't tell anybody what was your reaction when you found out that Barry was going to And I think he rushed for fifteen hundred yards that season and then he was yeah, walked.
Speaker 10: Away, absolutely, Dan. I wasn't surprised when he walked the way. I knew he wasn't coming back a lot of people kept thinking, oh, he's going to come back. He's gonna Barry is a guy strown to his convictions. When he said something, he's gonna do it, He's going to follow through with it.
Speaker 4: So once he retired, I knew he was done with the game.
Speaker 10: Everybody said, oh, go for the record, everybody said this and that, but it was something like I say, that never motivated Barry.
Speaker 4: So once he made his mind up, then I knew it was a wrap back in nineteen ninety nine when he retired.
Speaker 1: Did you block Reggie White at any point in your career?
Speaker 4: Oh, my goodness, I'm so happy he was over the right tackle.
Speaker 10: I didn't have to deal The only time I dealt with Reggie White was at the Pro Bowl when I went to the right tackle position. You talking about the man amongst boys, That's who Reggie White was.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Who made you more nervous though? Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor?
Speaker 4: LT did?
Speaker 10: That was a long week of preparation, Dan, It was a long week getting ready for LT. I mean you remember the famous video we got to get him a get after them like a wild pack of dog man.
Speaker 4: That runs through your mind all week long.
Speaker 10: Him snapping Joe Joe Lee.
Speaker 4: Oh, my god.
Speaker 10: The dude was just he was an animal and didn't talk a lot of noise on the field. Dad, he was relatively quiet on the field. I guess he let his play do all the talking for him.
Speaker 1: Have fun tomorrow night. Good to see you, Lo. You look great, and I hope the Lions live up to the expectations. I don't know what that is. I thought it would be make the playoffs, win at least a playoff game, and I think that would be living up to the hype. Is that a fair bar to have for the Lions.
Speaker 4: That's very fair. That's what we expect.
Speaker 10: Having won the playoff game since nineteen ninety one, having won the division since nineteen ninety three. I think that's a fair expectation of these fans for the Lions to win the division this year.
Speaker 1: Good to talk to you again. Thank you, Lomans.
Speaker 4: Take care of my good man.
Speaker 1: Lomus Brown, Lions analyst and a former Pro Bowl ligneman. What was it seven consecutive Pro Bowls?
Speaker 11: Yep?
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, people talk about Reggie White. You know, we forget about Reggie White. But having watched it, and there are times you watch it and you're almost looking like this is cgi like this is a superhero and they're going to make him look bigger and stronger and better. And you realize that Reggie White was just unique mean Joe Green. And I go back to probably nineteen sixty seven when I started watching football, but the first player I remember watching defensively was mean Joe Green. Where you go, that guy is different and he was mean back then. You know, he did the coke commercial in the jersey with the little boy and we thought, oh, what a nice man. And if you talk to Joe, he is just a nice man. He get on the field, he was not a nice man. He was mean Joe Green. He was the first guy. And then Reggie White came along. And then I was in New York covering the Giants when they won the Super Bowl, and to be around Lawrence Taylor. That's where and I've said this before that I could see fear in somebody's eyes. They're going against him. You could almost see this, like I can remember this as clear as day. The Giants are playing the Jets and Ken O'Brien is the quarterback, and you could I felt bad for him because he knew what was going to happen. Everybody knew what was going to happen, and you couldn't do anything about it. We talk about guys who changed the game. Lawrence Taylor changed the NFL his style where you had to have a tackle and a tight end. Joe Gibbs did this with Washington. He was going to make sure that you accounted for LT you had a linebacker who was an edge rusher. He changed the game. I think Dan Marie changed the game as far as five wide, no running back, quick release. And even Joe Montana came out and said, you know, he might be the best quarterback of all time, not the best resume, but the best quarterback passer of all time. And he wouldn't be wrong there. But those guys who changed the game, you know, we talked about Steph Curry. He changed the game of basketball. You can say Jordan changed the game. Bill Russell changed the game. You know, there are certain guys certain sports that they just they were different, they were unique, and I just remember I was so fortunate to be able to see. You know, when you're talking about greatest football players of all time, you start in nineteen sixty seven, where you're watching and truly watching a game you know, even the Packers. The Packers had great players, but they were just a great team. It didn't feel like there was one player that you would single out, but that was just a unit that Lombardi did a great job with that. I remember the Kansas City Chiefs, they had great players, and you know a lot of those were from you know, historically black colleges in universities because they were going into the AFL at the time, and then you had the merger. But that's what the Kansas City Chiefs, you know, they prided themselves in drafting these players, giving them a chance and you know change the AFL helped bring about the merger. But very fortunate to have witnessed some of those players, and certainly LT. Even though I didn't have a good history with LT, had a bad run in with him one time, But for the most part, I never got a chance to sit down and talk to him. I think later on after he was done, got a chance to. But when he was playing, you never saw him. Although Phil Simms would always tell me these stories. It'd be like it'd be six in the morning and he'd say, my wife would say, hey, Lawrence is here. He wants your golf clubs, and Lawrence hadn't been to bed. He wanted to go play golf and he needed clubs, so he'd stopped by Phil Simms's garage. And you go out there and give him his golf clubs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mark, that combination sounds wild. Lawrence Taylor, New York City eighties.
Speaker 1: What could go wrong? What could go wrong? I had a couple of phone calls in here. Let me see, Oh, Barry and Santa fe Hi, Barry, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Good morning fellows, Good morning chat Roe justifying how much you spend it to your wife? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Did I buy your T shirt for?
Speaker 6: Come on, man, grow a set, stand up to the ball in Chaine and be a man.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Barryry feeling we hear from Barry? Yeah, yeah, Barry's not married as you might expect.
Speaker 5: But what at some point in your life. I know, if you guys are not married, they go from when did it be come your choice and not their choice? Like did they choose to not be married or were they're not options for them. I have a buddy of mine who's not married. I don't know if he could have if he wanted to. He's just a mess.
Speaker 1: Well, then you'll get a guy who goes, oh, no, wire to wire, I'm not getting married, and then you're going, yeah, there's a reason why you're not. Of course, Dave in California, Hi Dave, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Well? My question, so those backup players he saw change the game. You talk about how old Connie is a unicorn. Do you think in ten years he will have more influence on baseball or the wide receiver be back from Colorado might have one.
Speaker 1: Football Oh, it's way too early. With Travis Hunter. I mean, Travis Hunter is a great player. Came out of high school. He was one of the top five players probably in the country. It's one game. It's one game for Colorado, one game for Travis Hunter. He may not play both ways. But this is personal for Dion with Nebraska. He's got a problem with Nebraska. It feels like he's making He's gonna make feuds. He's gonna be like Jordan, like I'm gonna I'm gonna find a reason I need an edge. It's just like what I brought up to Edwarder yesterday. Dion wasn't upset when anything Edwarder wrote, because Edwarder didn't really write anything that was negative. It was a tweet and he called him a celebrity coach and Dion, you know that bold junk and then asking Ed if he believed Now, Ed's job is not to believe or not believe. Ed is to job is to cover, not go. I believe now, Dion, you don't have to be a sick E fan, but you know you're just Dion wanted to have some a prop. Edward was a prop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mark shouldn't Deon Sanders get a raise because whatever they're paying him is probably not for what he's done for that program and just publicity alone.
Speaker 1: How about we wade. How about we wait till like December?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, what what he's he's on already?
Speaker 1: Let's wait wait till December. I know he's made him relevant.
Speaker 3: If they go two and eleven, they've doubled their wind told.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just wait. I don't know what he's getting paid. I would have hired him at Florida State. What he's doing doesn't surprise me. There's no better recruiter in America. This is what Dion did that will go under the radar. He hired great football people. For his staff because Dion realized he's not x'es and O's. He's going to go in and get those players. He's going to motivate you, and he's going to have people there to help him. And that's what he's done. He's done it brilliantly. All Right, last call for phone calls? What we learn? What's the store tomorrow? Right after this football season is right around the corner. In fact, it's here. And if you're starting to think about tailgating watch parties, kings Hawaiian makes a fall Sunday even better. Whether it's the original roles, the slider buns, the salty pretzel slider buns, those soft, fluffy, irresistible kings Hawaiian roles, perfect friendly football get together. Now they have the shareable kings Hawaiian Slider Sundays. It's a perfect weekly meal time ritual and of course Sunday with family friends. In football, there's so many great combinations there. Also, you need game day recipe inspiration. Kingsawaiian dot Com Big game sliders. How about that? It's simple ground beef bacon, cheddar cheese, grilled onion, spicy male seracha blend with smashed avocado or' is it avocado? All on the King Sawaiian Slider buns. It is kickoff time. Go to the bakery or deli section of your local store and pick up those sweet, fluffy, irresistible Kings Hawaiian roles, and of course enjoy. Thanks for listening to the Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or dream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 12: This is Steve Covino and Rich Davis, and together we are Coveno and Rich. Coveno and Rich.
Speaker 1: Thanks buddy, That's right.
Speaker 12: Covino Rich, Fox Sports Radio's newest hit show, heard weekdays from five to seven eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app. Every Coveno on Rich show is available as a podcasts. Just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe of such a rockin dude. The show features our unique take on sports, injected with some fun, humor and relatability. Listen to Covino on Rich five days a week on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: And Rich give me a hell yeah.
Speaker 1: And last call for phone calls. What we learned Watson Store tomorrow. I don't know if you guys followed this story, but this was from a week two weeks ago maybe Jerry Jones, the Cowboys owner, was talking about Sam Williams, who was caught speeding one of his one of his players on the Cowboys, and it sounded like this.
Speaker 11: Well, first of all, I'm saying that he is, which is more often the case than not thish siugns a little hollow, but he does and is maturing, and he is the what was he going sixty six? Was he going sixty six miles an hour? No?
Speaker 4: This year?
Speaker 11: So he's thirty four miles an hour less than this year than it was last year nine age sixty six, So that's improvement.
Speaker 1: He's right, you know, it's thirty four miles different that he got pulled over for speeding for John Sam Williams, God stuff there cheering this day's sports history, Paul.
Speaker 5: He got pulled over to in sixty six and a fifty five? Don't you usually think with that? Is that you said the cut off, Like if you're in a if you're going down a road and it's fifty five, I try to never go over sixty five. I think that's the police cut off.
Speaker 1: Well, what is it? H over ten? The police have some kind of motto like over ten or under ten.
Speaker 5: Like if you're going sixty in a forty five, you're in danger. Yeah, yeah, but if you're going fifty four in a forty.
Speaker 2: Five maybe yeah, maybe I feel like tennish is about.
Speaker 1: But what's the line it's like over ten you'll know when under ten it's something like that.
Speaker 7: It's over ten, you'll know when I think it's their money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if that is now.
Speaker 1: Over over nine your mind. Maybe it's something like that because if you go if you go forty five in a thirty, you're more likely to be pulled over than if you went sixty five in a fifty, because you know you're you have to judge, you know, where is this speeding siting percentage?
Speaker 3: Over?
Speaker 1: What's around this though? Because you're going by a hospital or school zone or something like that. That's why you probably have something like that.
Speaker 2: But hey, you know why I pulled over probably about fifty reasons speeding You know I pulled over.
Speaker 1: When's the last time you were pulled over for speeding anybody recently? It's been a while, Okay, Marvin's.
Speaker 3: Been about ten years.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Todd, No, not speeding, just one time in La.
Speaker 7: I was acting a little strangely because I realized I didn't have my seatbelt on. So I'm start had to go around these side streets thinking that the cops were following me, and they were, and I just panicked, and I'm going up and down these alleys and into.
Speaker 1: Wait, why didn't you put your seat belt on?
Speaker 3: I just I had forgotten my seatbelt.
Speaker 7: I had just gotten out of the gym and I was leaving, and then I started panicking that this police officer was following me, and it was too late at that point to start trying to buckle it in. And they made me go down on the ground. I think I told the story once before. It was very frightening. I had to get out of the car. They get you down on the ground because I was acting like I just robbed a bank or something. I'm going down little alleys and into mini malls and coming back out in a round.
Speaker 1: Okay, but why didn't you put your seat I don't know.
Speaker 7: I always put my seatbal on, but in that particular time, I didn't have it on, and I'm driving and I realized the seatbelt wasn't on, and I'm just hoping that this cup guy's not following.
Speaker 1: You just pull over.
Speaker 7: It was a seatbuild I paddick, and that I couldn't have acted more guilty than I must have had a body in the trunk.
Speaker 2: The tickets like was like probably back then was probably like fifty bucks.
Speaker 7: It was very, very bad. Moved my poet because I acted that way. They made me get out of the car and my face down to the ground like I was hiding. Who knows what in my trunk? Was terrible, good, very bad movie.
Speaker 1: This Day in Sports History, Paul.
Speaker 5: This Day in police History, nineteen ninety eight. There's a police chase and Pallis Verdi.
Speaker 1: It would have been great if there was a helicopter.
Speaker 7: You know, so somewhere like in Santa Monica or Santa Monica adjacent or whatever keept out of the ground.
Speaker 5: Nineteen twenty four. Urban Shocker pitched two complete games in one day against the White Sox. He won both games. UH nineteen forty three, the youngest player ever to play in America League Baseball game Carl Scheibe of the Philadelphia Athletics. He was only sixteen years old. He started a baseball game and pros.
Speaker 1: They ended up naming a field in Philadelphia Shied Field.
Speaker 5: Correct nineteen one, Fernando Vellezuela of the Dodgers set the NL record seven shutouts for a rookie. Wow, he was great. Eighty nine. The Pittsburgh Steelers couldn't use their practice facility at three River Stating because the Rolling Stones were rehearsing s upcoming concert. There you go.
Speaker 1: The Stones are coming out with their first studio album in twenty years.
Speaker 5: The new material.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's.
Speaker 3: Called Yep, We're still Alive.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Cal Ripkin broke Lou Garrig's record on this day in nineteen ninety four over longevity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Faton have two options for you. Eight your great, nine your mind or eight you skate nine your mind. Those are two that we've gotten on. Okay, the Twitter machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought there was something that police set a philosophy there and.
Speaker 2: We're throwing in the pen and you'll know when.
Speaker 1: That anything else this stay in sports can you'll know what. Thank you to Division three McAllister College Saint Paul, Minnesota ends what is at the time college football's longest losing streak fifty so they ended up winning that game. Any anything else on this date in nineteen seventy five, were Martinez never Tolova asked for political asylum in New York City during the US Open Final Results of the pole question set no counter Junior the third.
Speaker 2: Most people ask their spouse when they can spend money. Essentially how that turned out?
Speaker 1: Caate in Oregon. Hey Kate, I'll squeeze yet.
Speaker 13: Hello Dan, First, I have to weigh myself in five, six one and five pounds.
Speaker 6: Okay, I've a question for you.
Speaker 13: Do you think Andersy is insult in Travis Hunter that's why he's motivating him to play both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mentioned that when I when I was watching him play, and then when we came in on Tuesday, that Dion sees himself I think in Travis Hunter, and Dion probably would have loved to have played both ways when he played at Floria State. Yeah, it's a great point. And thanks for the phone call. Thanks for all the calls today chat row chatting it up and those who email the program as well. Let's go around the room. What we learned on the program? Todd, let me start with you. What did you learn today?
Speaker 7: Shout out to Paulie's bravery buy a car without prior approval from the spouse.
Speaker 1: Pretty gutsy, Seaton O'Connor, JJ Watson still put up four or five? Yeah easy, Yeah, no need to, but he does.
Speaker 3: Marvin Seaton says it's personally not personal. Paulie, would you learn.
Speaker 5: When a cop pulls you over? According to officer Jeff Klein of Iowa nine, you're fine. Ten your mind.
Speaker 1: There you go. That's what I was waiting to hear, Todd, What did I learn?
Speaker 3: Money bags?
Speaker 7: Marvin spent one hundred and fifty bucks recently on sneakers for his nine year old boy.
Speaker 1: Legacy Box Simple safe solution for digitizing all your family's precious memories. And by going to legacy box dot com slash Patrick, you can enjoy fifty five percent off when you get started legacy box dot com. Legacy box dot com slash Patrick. Have a great day, everybody. One more item as we close out this award nominated Wednesday program, Well, it's coming up, got football tomorrow and Draftking sports Book and official sports betting partner of the NFL, is hooking up new customers with a camp miss offer to celebrate lace your first five dollars NFL bets score two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly. Draftkinks hooking up everybody. All customers take advantage of the two new offers every single game day this September. You can check the app to see what you get, and don't wait till the kickoff. Do this because you got to download the Draftking Sportsbook app now makes you use the code Patrick. New customers. You're getting two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five dollars. So that's the code Patrick only on Draftking sports Book. The crown is yours, the microphone is yours.
Speaker 14: Fritzy twenty one and over in most eligible states, but age varies by jurisdiction. Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope and y or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine. Bonus issue is free bet one early win token issued at optin money line bets only. Deposit and wagering restrictions apply eligibility in terms at DraftKings dot com slash football terms