Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Wednesday packed house here. We had people lining up at three point thirty in the morning, and I said, it's first come, first serve. We do have some people who can't get in the building, but we do have a meet and greet a little bit later on tonight from four to six here at the bar on home grown Way, but beautiful facility a couple blocks away from Lambeau. And speaking of which, the Packers head coach Matt Lafleur will stop by here momentarily eight seven seven to three. DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a TP show. Frank Kelliendo the Master, the Great impersonator, will join us a little bit later on as well. Pull question for hour two. Let's clean up our one and then we'll head to our two.
Speaker 3: Seaton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our one, we got up there.
Speaker 5: If you were betting Shudra Sanders goes top five or second round, about seventy five percent have of that as second round. I think it would change a lot if we moved it to ten, So I think I might do that for the second hour.
Speaker 3: All right, I'll give you that.
Speaker 4: See how that shifts.
Speaker 3: All right, you have that power.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: We've also been getting a lot of suggestions from people about is it what city it's tough in to live in when you're a fan of their rival? Okay, right, so like we just saw a Lions fan out in the crowd and he was like, man, that's tough. We got some other suggestions here. Being a Browns fan in Pittsburgh not ideal. Being a Steelers fan in Baltimore probably not either. And actually any of those you could swap out.
Speaker 2: Well, Pittsburgh and Baltimore probably the one scene when it comes to rivalries. Now, I know that you can have the Packers and the Bears, but you know, for such a long period of time the Bears weren't any good. But with Baltimore and Pittsburgh, I mean that's a true they hate each other.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and both are i mean obviously super competitive, so the games mean something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, do you think it's not tough being a Cowboy fan any other place in America?
Speaker 5: You know, you can't walk around being like, you know, we're America's team.
Speaker 4: It is so hard, like, get out of here.
Speaker 3: Stop saying mean things. About us.
Speaker 4: What is this hard?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Get out of here? Yeah, all right? What other questions?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we're sticking.
Speaker 5: I think we're gonna go with I don't have enough options to list on the Commander's fans in Dallas, Jets fans in Boston, Bears fans in Green Bay. But we're definitely taking those suggestions on socio.
Speaker 3: Okay, as they say, all right, by the way, we are showing you the rematch.
Speaker 2: It's pickleball, and it's created quite a controversy here because it looks like Fritzy cheated during the rematch for pickleball. And I don't know if it's under protest, but there is an asterisk that will be attached apparently to the outcome of this pickleball match.
Speaker 6: Yes, Dohn, I feel like I have to stick up for myself because it's being presented as.
Speaker 7: If I went out of my way.
Speaker 6: I know all these rules of pickleball, and I wouldn't still cheated when it's just ignorance on my part that I played it as if it was tennis on a pickleball quote, not knowing where IM supposed stand, Gotta wait for it to bounce.
Speaker 7: You're in the dining room or in the ground.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. It's it's the kitchen. There's no dining room and no garage.
Speaker 7: I see the ball coming, I slam it.
Speaker 2: See this is what you do. You try to throw us off. Really, what the story is?
Speaker 3: You cheated?
Speaker 7: It's being presented as if I intentionally cheat, like you knew the rules? Are you still even if.
Speaker 3: You don't, I mean sometimes you can cheat inadvertent, you still cheated?
Speaker 7: Right ever since I told you?
Speaker 6: I looked at the kid's paper on a chemistry midtime and I copy the limerick word for word from a book and I presented this.
Speaker 3: Steel dishes from a department.
Speaker 6: Well, that's because they didn't calculate it properly and they ended up giving you to.
Speaker 3: Buy DoD there's a history here of cheating.
Speaker 6: I was going to return it, and my wife did say you should go back to the charge us for one, and you got too, and I'm like, I think we should just put in the trunk and get out.
Speaker 8: And I love that.
Speaker 5: Todd just said, I just see the ball coming and I slam it.
Speaker 7: My motto, it's my pickleball bottom. I see the ball, slam it. Don't care for me. The kitchen in the dining room.
Speaker 3: But there are rules, that's all.
Speaker 2: You know how social media, they are very serious about their pickleball.
Speaker 7: It's silly, though. You can't gotta wait for the balance. It's got to be here. It's got to be there. You're we're in the kitchen. You can't hit it there.
Speaker 2: Okay, But there's still rules. They're stupid rules in all sports, but you have to follow them.
Speaker 7: So you gonna yell at like there's like seventy eighty year old people playing pickable. You're gonna yell at the grandma. Hey, you work out, you get one foot on the side there.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, download the out that's our streaming partner. You'll be able to see Matt Lafleur, the Packer's head coach who joins us on the program. Is seventh season there, come on in coach. The uh Packers went eleven and six the number two seed Eagles. They lost to them. Hi, Bud, good to see you. So sit down. We got a home field advantage here.
Speaker 7: I know at nine o'clock in the morning, drinking some beer.
Speaker 4: They only in Green Bay.
Speaker 3: They started showing up at three point thirty.
Speaker 4: In the morning for tomorrow night's draft. Yeah, a deal, I know.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to draft week, are you any different than you are in other weeks preparing for the draft?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean you're juggling.
Speaker 9: We have our first phase of the off season programs, so right now we're doing it virtually because of just all the people that are congregating to Green Bay, and so you're just kind of juggling that schedule and doing the last second setting.
Speaker 3: Of the board.
Speaker 2: But in dealing with the media, in what you say and how you say, because you don't want to tip your hand, sure are you? Like how good are you at lying?
Speaker 4: Just depends who you're asking.
Speaker 3: So, like, let me say, who are you drafting?
Speaker 9: Well, that's a great question, you know, That's what I usually say, who are we drafted?
Speaker 4: I'm sure you've done a mock so.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm only somebody here. No, no, no, we do not. We are mock free. Okay, we are mackless.
Speaker 9: But some that I watch and I look at and I'm like, I hope not. And then there's others that I get really excited about.
Speaker 2: So but you have to it's almost like you're preparing somebody for a deposition, you're just like, okay, let's create a mock draft.
Speaker 3: Now how do we react to that?
Speaker 2: So you would go through scenarios, probably in real time, where somebody goes all right, cam Ward's off the board, Travis off the board, Ashton Genty off the board. So then you get to where you guys are.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know that's something that our scouting department does more than what we do as a staff.
Speaker 2: Oh so you wouldn't get together in a room and go, okay, if this happens, then we do this.
Speaker 9: No, but our scouting department does all that. Okay, so we focus more our time. Like I said, it's it's phase one of our off season programs. So the majority of our time this week is dedicated to our players.
Speaker 2: I was talking to Mel Kiper about this, and he said, why do coaches and gms put more faith or credence in things that happen after a season is over? So they haven't These guys haven't played any games, you know, maybe the Senior Bowl. And Mel said, you know, you're trying to get guys playing against guys who will play in the NFL, because there are guys who are playing against guys who won't be in the NFL and trying to understand just how good somebody is. So how difficult is that to go? Ashton Genty, I see him and man, he's dominating. But is he dominating against guys who will play in the NFL or Schadoor Sanders playing against somebody or a wide receiver?
Speaker 3: So how do you.
Speaker 2: Then kind of read between the lines of that guy is legitimate?
Speaker 9: Well, I think you always are looking for certain traits at every position, and obviously there's a lot of testing and the guys are doing less and less.
Speaker 8: Of that, but you're just looking for traits.
Speaker 9: I do think it becomes more of a challenge when you're maybe at some of the lower levels when guys just absolutely dominate the competition. It's easier when you're looking at some guys that are coming from some of these SEC programs where there's just more NFL talent on the field.
Speaker 3: What are red flags to you?
Speaker 9: Well, it just depends is there's character issues that come up. Because I think if you get good people and that love the game of football, and that's always the thing that you're trying to find out throughout the draft process, But if you get guys that love the game of football and have high character. I feel like they have a chance of reading their reaching their ceilings.
Speaker 8: So that is something that we're always looking for.
Speaker 3: Okay, But what could you ask me that is going to reveal.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean there's a lot of background that goes into these guys, and that that's where you rely so heavily on the scouting department, and certainly there's relationships that you have with people at schools, whether it's other coaches or whoever. And you're always trying to get people to give you the truth.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Matt Luflor, the Packer's head coach. How often have you gone out for a game and you know it's going to be cold?
Speaker 8: And it's almost every week?
Speaker 2: But but you have to put on a good front. You have to be tough, you know, right, you can't be like all bundled up.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you're right. So what I've learned is it doesn't matter. It's all about layering. So I might have like seven layers of clothes on. Now they might be very thin, but I like to wear a vest usually out on the field. But if I'm in a coat, full coat, you know it's cold.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you have good hair. How important is it to make sure that the hair is not covered up?
Speaker 9: Well, you know, it just depends. I try not to wear a hat, but sometimes I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: If they make hats that I like, then I'm more apt to wear them. Sometimes they don't always make the hats I like.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you got good hair.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that.
Speaker 8: You know what, You've got great hairs.
Speaker 3: Who I have great And I have gray hair too.
Speaker 4: It's great and mine's coming in.
Speaker 8: It's starting to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How long did it take you to get over the loss to the Eagles?
Speaker 4: I mean you got to flip the script pretty cool quickly.
Speaker 9: Obviously, it's it's disappointing, but I think that when you look at them, I think they were the best team probably in the NFL, and they proved it.
Speaker 2: You know, we start, we do get caught up on quarterbacks and wide receivers and all of that, and really it's offensive and defensive lines.
Speaker 4: That's a big, big player.
Speaker 9: I mean, you look at they were dominant up front on both sides of the ball. Certainly we had a hard time blocking them and also conversely getting pressure on the quarterbacks.
Speaker 8: So they are built the right way.
Speaker 2: The brotherly shove that the Packers came out Kins, would you have liked that to have remained anonymous, that there's a team, that.
Speaker 8: It is what it is.
Speaker 9: We might have had some nudging towards that, but I'm not really going to get into that.
Speaker 2: Did the commissioner say we need somebody to speak up?
Speaker 8: I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 3: Because I don't think the commissioner wants this.
Speaker 4: Non I can I say.
Speaker 3: What I think happened.
Speaker 2: Sure, Okay, I think the commissioner nudged you guys to say, look, if you have a grievance, put your name to it.
Speaker 3: I'll owe you one. And because I don't think he wants that play to stay in the game.
Speaker 8: Well, it's not a great football play.
Speaker 9: And then certainly when you look at what happened in the Washington Commander game where Frankie Louvers launching over.
Speaker 4: The top, which I mean it's a tough play to stop.
Speaker 9: We've actually had more success, and we had some studies ran we've had more success with a traditional quarterback sneak than we have with you know, whatever you want to call it, brotherly show.
Speaker 3: I think Philadelphia is still going to be dominating with the quarterback sneak. I agree because of that line.
Speaker 9: In that quarterback, I mean they do a great job and I mean Jalen Hurts can squat the house.
Speaker 8: They do a good job of just you know, winn in the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 9: It all starts right there and they get really low and they've they've perfected it.
Speaker 2: Take me back to the Joy and Love Draft. How many different players did you have penciled in for that draft?
Speaker 4: Pick? What picked? Were we?
Speaker 8: I can't remember, uh what pick? Yeah, I'd say twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how many?
Speaker 2: How many players did you have on the board that you were thinking of taking if the draft played out how you thought of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was certainly a couple.
Speaker 9: And I think, you know, it's a credit to Goody and his staff just having that vision of if you don't have a quarterback in today's game, you're you're you're screwed. So let's just throw it out there. It's it's just tough. So you need to have that position solidified. And we're lucky we got him because I think he's a He's not only a great player, but I think he's an even better person. And I just love the energy comes in with each and every day, and he works his tail off and he's continuing to develop as a leader.
Speaker 2: It's like taking a two, but you don't get your grade till three years later because you draft him and then you sit him and everybody is like, you know, you wasted two years with Rogers, or you don't take a wide receive? Were you taking a wide receiver?
Speaker 8: Yeah, potentially if the right guy was there.
Speaker 3: But who would that have been?
Speaker 8: Oh? I mean there was some good ones, so.
Speaker 9: I know I went, you went one before, Yeah, I believe. So I think San Francisco traded up.
Speaker 3: Would you have taken Ayuk if he was there?
Speaker 4: I think potentially.
Speaker 9: I mean I don't want to speak for everybody in our organization, but I think that certainly would have been in the discussion. I think Jefferson went, yeah, Chase. We knew he was going to be gone, so but yeah, Jefferson was right there in the wheelhouse. So I mean, there's always you better have a few players that are kind of there for you. And I think the controversy of that whole deal was that we traded up to go get Jordans. If we would have stayed there picked him, I don't I think it would have been less.
Speaker 8: Obviously, it still would have been a big story.
Speaker 9: But I think the fact that we went up to go get him, and but I do think obviously it was the right decision.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I understand that, and I thought you guys would.
Speaker 9: I love Yeah, I need I need that support from my Packer fans.
Speaker 3: I think you're good. I think you're good on that. But you you have to place that call to Aaron.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how was that interesting?
Speaker 8: I think he was shocked.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll play Okay, Yeah, oh hey, hey, coach, what what what happened?
Speaker 9: I don't think that that was like, what the bleep?
Speaker 4: I think there was more of that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, okay, so so what the bleep just happened? I will say, I mean, whether that was or whatnot. But he did go out and had two pretty damn good years back and back.
Speaker 3: Yeah you pissed him off?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah. What memories do you have playing for the Omaha Beef?
Speaker 4: Oh, the Omaha Beef.
Speaker 9: Probably the rump Roasters, which were these three hundred pound men, three hundred plus pound men that would go out there at halftime and perform for the crowd.
Speaker 3: That's what you remember.
Speaker 8: No, not really but I just thought it was a good story.
Speaker 3: What kind of quarterback were you for the omahak Beef?
Speaker 9: Probably not a very good one, No, I just I was kind of a run around guy and can make some plays with my legs.
Speaker 3: Do your players ever bring up your career?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Do you ever?
Speaker 9: I'm sure they do behind my back and probably make fun of me a little bit.
Speaker 3: But do you have your Omaha beef jersey?
Speaker 4: I do not.
Speaker 2: Damn I'd love to have that. I'd love to hang that in the man cave. Yeah, that never found your Omaha Beef.
Speaker 4: I don't think they.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think the budget was a little bit different. They probably were used it for the next five years.
Speaker 2: So sometimes we get caught up in oh, you never played the game, but you played the game you didn't play, you know at the NFL level?
Speaker 3: Sure, how much does that impact you? Do you think when you're especially.
Speaker 2: When you're calling plays and trying to put yourself in the position of Jordan or Aaron Well.
Speaker 9: I think having the quarterback background certainly helps. I think it allows you to kind of see the game and feel the game through the lens of the quarterback, which is I think most play callers are trying to do and how do you set that guy up for success and ultimately score as many points as you can. But you know, I don't think it necessarily matters. You've seen great coaches that have never played football that go on and have great careers, and you know, but I was fortunate for my time. I started out of Western Michigan as as a walk on and as a receiver, and then when I transferred a second of ally, I didn't really know if I was going to play quarterback or receiver, and it just it worked out that way, and I started for three years and we had a lot of fun.
Speaker 10: Yeah, holy Dan, I got a couple of updates about coach laflores time at the Omaha Beef on Beefootball dot Com as always so already was before you got here couching.
Speaker 4: Are they still rolling right now?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, you.
Speaker 10: Went into the Hall of Fame in twenty twenty four, the Beef Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wait a minute, I was wow. Around of a blog probably my proudest accomplishment. And Dan, also, if.
Speaker 10: You go to their website, you can get custom jerseys, so you could have one made for yourself.
Speaker 9: You know, what Maybe my wife can do that for me for my birthday or something Christmas.
Speaker 3: That'd be nice, nice little beef gift.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 3: It's great. See you, Thank you for joining us. Good luck with the draft. Who are you taking it again?
Speaker 4: That's a great question. A lot of unknowns in this draft, guys, a lot of unknowns.
Speaker 3: So wait there they are right there.
Speaker 4: It's who are taken you guys? Tell me I don't know. You gotta know pick twenty three.
Speaker 2: You don't normally take a receiver. Now you're gonna take a wide receiver.
Speaker 4: What do the fans want?
Speaker 8: I'm sure, I'm sure they want some wide receivers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 9: So I go to my kids basketball events and certainly somebody will just slip me a piece of paper with their pick for us.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, and then you could go, oh, I never thought about that.
Speaker 3: Thanks. I never would have known that. Man, maybe you get a wide receiver.
Speaker 4: We'll see.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: He is Matt Lafleur, the Packer's head coach. Thanks an, thank you coach.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live draft coverage. YEP, with the first pick the biggest states that know about every player in every team. You've got it right here, God listen ass Fox NFL insider Jay Glazer, former New York Jets general manager Joe Douglass, college Football Hall of Famer and former number two overall pick LaVar Erring Tech and Fox Sports lead college football reporter Jemmy Tap delivered.
Speaker 4: A pick fine pick covering the next nightday.
Speaker 1: Night, Fox Draft Night Live lives right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: My thanks to the Packers Matt Lafleur stopping by. I was keeping an eye on Pauli's body language because he's a Bears fan. So how difficult was it for you to act like you like coach Lafleur.
Speaker 4: I hate that he's a good guy.
Speaker 10: I hate that he is a nice guy, was friendly to everybody and likable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he says he's not in his high school hall of Fame. What don't you think you'd put him in just because he's the Packers head coach.
Speaker 10: Seems very accomplished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's in the Omaha Beef Hall of Fame.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he was second ballot he got in the second year of eligibility.
Speaker 6: Okay, yes, Tom, And who would be then in his high school health if someone created a QRE for a disease or something like that, why would he?
Speaker 2: His mom is in the Hall of Fame, and I think his sister in law is in the Hall of Fame of his high school. But him and his brother's brother is a offensive coordinator for the Rams. I guess they haven't accomplished enough to get into the Hall of Fame. Would you update the poll results? We got Doug Gottlieb, the Wisconsin Green Bay head coach who we spent some time with last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got two of them up there right now. They're pretty similar, all right.
Speaker 5: If you were betting should or Sanders goes top five or second round right now, seventy seven percent have him going second round.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: And then if we change it up and say, if you are betting shooter Sandals will go top ten or second round.
Speaker 4: That's at fifty to fifty. Okay, We'll see how that one progresses throughout the hour.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the Saints, given with Derek Carr's injury status, is maybe that'd be a place where he lands. He's Doug Gottlieb, the University of Wisconsin green Bay head coach, host of the Doug Gottlieb Show on Fox Sports Radio, as well as we make way for the head coach of the Phoenix product placement. You got everything that says Wisconsin, green Bay.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, that's the job.
Speaker 3: Don't need a wardrobe, you got it?
Speaker 4: I actually don't. That's the weirdest thing.
Speaker 11: It's like, you know, money wise, everybody says how further the dollar goes in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Then you throw in that you don't actually ever have to buy clothes. You just wear a DSGB gear and you're saving money on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: If I said two years ago you'd be sitting here and we would be talking about your first year as a head basketball coach, you would have said what.
Speaker 4: I would believed that.
Speaker 11: I'm not sure I would have believed Green Bay or how everything transpired, but yeah, I mean I felt more and more prepared to take this on with every passing year because I invested more and more into not just the craft of broadcasting this from It's no different than a radio show or a TV show, or when you're calling games and you've done it. There are people that do it and there are people that live it right, and I felt like I was a guy that really lived it and really kind of invested in, Okay, what's this process? I actually like, how do you put together? As Scotty import and all the things that I had thought I had known as a player and studied some As a broadcaster, I'd gone to a deeper dive of because I just had that burning desire every time a game would be done. Every time you just left with this hollow feeling. There's no win, there's no loss when you're broadcasting games. So as much as there was a lot of pain this year, there's still you're alive if you're feeling that pain, and you feel very much alive when you're coaching.
Speaker 3: What did you not expect that happened?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 11: How long's the show? Honestly, the hardest part is at the start I learned it and at the end I learned it. I'm not great at saying no to people I care about, and between when you're hiring people and it's not going to work and you have to not hire somebody or not offer a scholarship to a player that a dear friend has sworn by or then at the end when despite the fact that the kid is a great kid, you got a part company because we just have to get better.
Speaker 4: We still are in the We want to form great men.
Speaker 11: We want them all to graduate from gb We want to be productive members of society.
Speaker 4: We wanted to have jobs here. We got win some games, and so.
Speaker 11: You know, sometimes those guys shake your hand and walk out the door and put themselves in the transfer portal, and you're legitimately sad you're going to miss them because they're good human beings. They filled up your life with good energy.
Speaker 2: You win four games, and I'm curious of you and your radio show, your reputation, how much that impacted, how much criticism you received by just winning four games.
Speaker 11: Oh, I think it was ten to twentyfold what anybody else at our level ever got. We say this around the office, and I say it in recruiting. There's pretty much eleven college basketball teams that people care about. There's the ten best and then there's us. Right, there's the ten best, and it's it's it was wild.
Speaker 2: I mean, we had But do you think that it felt like ESPN was going out of its ways, yeah, and others and others.
Speaker 11: Yes, but yes, I mean it was it was crazy like like yes, like FanDuel was tweeting a wrect like I have no relationship with FanDuel. I've never said anything critical of FanDuel. You know, the companies that we work for work with other companies other than FanDuel, But they were constantly posting like our record on their social media pagient like what is the deal with ESPN? I mean, I guess it's it's people defending Adam Schefter for a tweet which was categorically false, you know, so yeah, it did.
Speaker 4: It felt personal tweet.
Speaker 11: Well, Schefty had tweeted that Sack State had fifty million dollars in NIL and they were going after Mike Vick as their head coach. And it's just laughable. It's just laughable. And again my point, and I quote tweeted back replied to him, and it was like a nothing, you know, It's like it's one of those things where you tube bad, like come on, Schefty, like you know, it's like one of those check your sources. But I should have just texted him or DMed him.
Speaker 3: Can you not help yourself in situations like this.
Speaker 4: I'm way better than I used to be.
Speaker 11: Well, way, have you ever seen you ever seen the evolution of man post? He has no the evolution of man poster? Right where you go from like hunched over to where we are now, I'm somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 3: Dan, But you can't help yourself.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 11: When I was at when I left ESPN, that was bad, you know, like I just you know that feeling because you've done it, you did it before me. Where you leave and you fear irrelevance, right because when you're there, you're trained that this is the only.
Speaker 4: Thing that's relevant, This is the only thing I'm in sports that matters.
Speaker 11: Right, So I would say, yeah, I was totally addicted to social media when I left ESPN went to CBS, and it definitely ran me a foul there because their perception of how real social media is, how much it matters, I think skews in a direction which is not accurate. I think they think that's like the end all be all. They think the Richard Deitsch's of the world matter, and they don't. Right, So I'm better now. But again, sometimes it's just like he didn't need that one, right, didn't need that one? But the point was that like Sacramento State having fifty million dollars then an L and never, Hey, my bad, somebody told me something that is And I'm the bad guy for pointing out that everyone in sports that follows Adam Schefter knows that he just cut and pasted a text from somebody connected to the university that's not accurate.
Speaker 4: And it again, this is where you get.
Speaker 3: Do you think any publicity is good publicity?
Speaker 11: Yeah, unless it's like your personal life, your sex life or some of the stuff that's going on with other people.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about your sex life's let's not.
Speaker 2: Doug Gottlieb, the University of Wisconsin Green Bay head coach.
Speaker 3: But if you look.
Speaker 11: So, I'm thinking of your word last night and so now it's in my head.
Speaker 4: I'm struggling. But don't do that to me, Dad.
Speaker 11: But you get Dan has a secret word, the secret word, and he planted it and everybody And do you guys know what an earworm is? The earworm of a song? Like I have an earworm of that word, and like, just do not say that, do not say that. You want to keep your jab okay.
Speaker 3: So you keep you know you're going after Lebron or Lebron.
Speaker 2: I didn't go after Lebron. Okay, I never went after the bar. You said Lebron's son couldn't play for you, you had guards.
Speaker 4: I did not hold on me. I didn't say he could not play no.
Speaker 3: Team.
Speaker 11: I didn't think he would start, Okay, Yeah, in hindsight, Yay, probably would have started, not over Anthony Roy. Like, hey, just see, you know with Lebron, Anthony Roy averaged thirty a game. He's leading the country in effective field goal percentage. He's a walking bucket. He's an amazing, amazing young player. Okay, so that's my comp My comp was, I don't I never thought that he's a point guard.
Speaker 4: Okay, and you know the he's not better than Anthony Roy.
Speaker 11: And it was Jeremiah Johnson, who was a top one hundred and fifty kid who's the same age as Bronni And like you're defending your guys as part of it. But yeah, like I thought he would have to compete to start at Green Bay. In hindsight, when he started, probably, yeah, he's a good player. Like at the mid major level is where he should have gone. I stand by that he should have gone to Ducane for a year and played for Lebron's like best friend, got in his confidence. And then if you want to start this has been such a dog and pony show, and Lebron's gone around the country, you know, chastising Stephen A.
Speaker 4: Smith and tweeting me for.
Speaker 11: No reason, because all I've ever done is been honest, Like, sorry, I saw your son play in the Mission League. He was not one of the ten best high school players in that league. He was the best high school league in the country, but he wasn't. I didn't say he stinks. I didn't say he can't play. I never said he can't play at Green Bay. Just the evaluation was completely false. He wasn't a no one was fighting over him to be a second round pick. JJ Reddick saying he earned all of this, Like what are we even talking about? So again, if he develops into an NBA player, great, If this path makes him into something that we didn't see coming, awesome, But like, don't bs us and then chastise us for giving honest basketball opinion, right, I don't think I made it personal. And then he quote to me and here's the here's the crazy part about it.
Speaker 4: Here's great, did you know I signed Lebron. Did you guys know that?
Speaker 11: Yeah, last night sign we signed Lebron Thomas, who's first team Junior College All American. Right, super talented kid. But you'll love the story. So, in the process of recruiting Lebron, he's at Vincennes Junior College and his parents are in South Carolina. So the day before the dead period where you can't go out and see people during the Final four, I flew down to South Carolina because, like, if you're gonna send your baby to Green Bay, Wisconsin to play for me for two years, like you're gonna want to face to face and meet the guy, right. So I go down and I meet his parents and they're lovely, and we're walking out from a restaurant in Columbia and his dad grabs me and he's like, hey, coach, g one more thing.
Speaker 4: What's the deal with Lebron tweeted at you.
Speaker 11: I'm like, Oh, is this gonna be a problem.
Speaker 4: It's like no, no, no, I think it's great. We'll have Lebron play for you and Lebron tweeting at you.
Speaker 11: So the point is in the any publicity is good publicity. We use it in recruiting where we're like, hey, if there's one hundred people who are now tweeting and caring about Green Bay basketball who never did before and really don't now, they just want to tweak us when we're down. If seventy five percent of them eat their words next year, that's seventy five more people than ever cared about Green Bay basketball. And my players come to my defense because they know we're doing the best we possibly can buy them and we just fell short too often.
Speaker 2: Do you want to set the over under only for Wisconsin green Bay wins next year?
Speaker 4: Let's go they had four.
Speaker 10: I'm going I'm going twelve and a half.
Speaker 3: Twelve and a half.
Speaker 10: That's aggressive, twelve.
Speaker 4: And a hook.
Speaker 3: How about you? Seeton?
Speaker 4: I taking the over or under on that?
Speaker 3: You're going over under?
Speaker 4: I'm a believer. I'm going with the over.
Speaker 2: Dug Okay, I got you, Dug probably like thirteen yeah, yeah, like a big believer, but like thirteenth.
Speaker 4: That's a massive improvement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tom, what about you?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I could see fourteen fourteen wins?
Speaker 3: Marvin, I'm going with the over.
Speaker 4: Also, yehow's twenty plus? Anybody I know? Dan?
Speaker 2: No, he did say that he would double his wind total though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you did guarantee that.
Speaker 4: We're going games next year. Yeah, we're going We're going games.
Speaker 3: How many games do you think?
Speaker 2: I don't what's the successful Just give me a successful number.
Speaker 11: I never said that before, So why would I said now? Because I'm asking successful. Seaon for us is we want to have a bye in the Horizon League tournament. We want to have a buy one of the that's one of the top five seeds in the Horizon leagueurnament.
Speaker 2: By the way, didn't you critique Caitlin Clark's shooting form?
Speaker 4: Yes? Okay, yes, but see that that's where you like, No, what do you know?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 11: No? Hold on wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait I could critique show No no, no, no, no, how many divisions on men's v log.
Speaker 2: If you ever have a shooting Oh I have to play now to understand shooting. No again, I haven't coached a game, correct, I probably can coach and win four games?
Speaker 4: Again? Yes, I could probably win five.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, see.
Speaker 5: Just in the in the in the in the sake of fairness, what you are the guy Dan who told Ray Allen he was shooting the ball wrong? To face to his face, you did you did say you know you're doing that wrong?
Speaker 3: First to his face?
Speaker 11: First of all, what was the actual tweet? What was the actually was? It was the tweet she can't shoot, no, or you talk about her form. She was shooting the ball from the lesser side of Durant does and it's a no, he does not the end, not in the end, right, Okay, But she wasn't. She has she had a little Lonzo ball and she since adjusted it. And the point of the tweet was, it's amazing how much work she's put in to shoot through a shooting flaw. Okay, to shoot through a shooting flaw, where like Klay Thompson like that's how you're supposed to shoot a basketball. That looks like the picture of how every person is supposed to the basketball. There's no Reggie Aloisious Miller, you know, shot the ball with two hands.
Speaker 7: It's not.
Speaker 4: But he shot through a flaw.
Speaker 11: It actually shows he has greater work ethic and confidence because no matter what how you're supposed to do it, he did it so often and with so much confidence he could make it in spite of it. Okay, but if you watch Caitlin Clark's form. Now, take a snapshot of it. Take a snapshot of it last year when she was heading into the WNBA. She's changed and fixed her shot. People don't want to hear it because I was a bad shooter in college. My issue was one, I was a Heinz fifty seven guy, so many people making suggestions that it was constantly moving around. And two it became a self confidence thing. But if I couldn't physically shoot a basketball, I wouldn't have been recruited by the number of schools that was recruited by The shooting issues didn't stop us from winning.
Speaker 4: And oh yeah, by the way.
Speaker 11: They didn't actually occur in terms of fundamental flaws. But look if if out there that's my job, Oh it doesn't. Just a head coach. It wasn't as the head coach. That was when I'm just a radio host and basketball analyst. Coach, check the time stamp on.
Speaker 3: It, Give me the time stamp on that.
Speaker 4: Okay, that was?
Speaker 9: That was.
Speaker 11: That was before I became the head basketball coach at Green Bay and since I've become the head basketball coach, we talk about the same thing.
Speaker 4: We talked about.
Speaker 11: Do we do we fix a guy's shot and change his form, which you have to strip it back down and then build it back up, just make an adjustment to it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think may first.
Speaker 4: What day did I get the job? Dan? Thank you? So what was my job at the time that I made the tweet?
Speaker 3: Your job was to be a radio host.
Speaker 11: And college BASKETBA analist And oh yeah, by the way, like this is the amazing thing about me. Whether I like it or don't like it, the reality is that I do have this unique ability to draw reaction, to draw reaction.
Speaker 4: You do, Okay, you do? So, Okay, I just I stand by my analysis of a shot. Okay.
Speaker 11: Her three point numbers had gone down when she was at Iowa, and they were lower when she was in the w NBA, And by my assessment, it was because she was so good.
Speaker 4: She was getting guard further and further out, and she was shooting further.
Speaker 3: And further out. She thanked you yet, No, but you do know.
Speaker 4: Who her boyfriend is, right, yeah, Connor McCaffrey.
Speaker 11: Okay, do you know Connor McCaffrey's dad is yeah, Okay, you know he recruited me a notre dame. He's like a second father. To me is a mentor to me. So yeah, like I'm, I'm, We're good. It's not like Kaitlin Clark's going around. She's not like Lebron James or she's so insecure that she wants to tweet at.
Speaker 3: Me, right that that should help you today.
Speaker 11: Well, it's the reality, like why are you tweeting about me on your day off?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: He's Doug Gottlieb.
Speaker 2: He guarantees at least thirteen wins or something like that.
Speaker 11: Hold on, can I I know you got to go? I know, yeah, uh, you guys were awesome last night. I mean, let's be honest. Frank was really awesome last night. He carried, he carried the thing.
Speaker 3: But I truly appreciate, not just understand how to be Stockton to Malone, it's it's you should know this when you you assist somebody, that's.
Speaker 4: What it was doing you a company.
Speaker 3: It was and you said he carried the show.
Speaker 4: That's worth I was tweaking you the way that you always tweak.
Speaker 2: Me sometimes your words hurt dog, was working your words, hurt dog.
Speaker 11: I was working my way you make I know you shots beautiful. Thank you couldn't guard a soul. But I never said I could.
Speaker 4: That's right, you are who you can defend.
Speaker 11: But I mean it, like, first of all, I think you see from the outpouring support from people you know here at the bar to when you're around town. It means a lot to people of Green Bay that you guys brought the show here by the show.
Speaker 4: And it means and.
Speaker 11: You know, Polly and Seaton and I we used to be right next to each other in a cubicle at ESPN, and I mean to go from there to where you guys are here and to still be honestly gracious with your time last night, I truly truly appreciate it. Look, I get it, like the numbers, the record wasn't good. We're gonna win, It's gonna be a lot of fun. But your just support of showing up is awesome, and it's mentorship and friendship.
Speaker 3: I truly appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that he's Doug Gottlieb feels like PAULI may have written a little bit of what Doug just said there.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm proud of myself.
Speaker 3: I was the feeling. I mean, it had a tinge of sentiment there.
Speaker 4: He was amazing. Is the singing voice. He brought down the hut.
Speaker 3: No he can't say.
Speaker 2: Okay, I gotta go, Doug gottlieb everybody. We'll be back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: This is the best crowd that we've had since we've been in Green Bay doing the show. Yeah, easily, yeah, the best. Probably not as good as tomorrow, but there, as you know, for today, they've been great festive. We have a meet and greet a little later on tonight the same place here four to six. The Danuts are a little upset. Paully is the spokesperson for the Danets. What are you upset about?
Speaker 10: I gotta tell you, dan we live for a couple of things. You buying us dinner or someone bringing us free gear when we're on the road. We really thought Doug gottlie the head coach of Green Bay Basketball, was going to bring a swag bag for us. We were almost I would say he's the word expecting, but I'll use the word expecting.
Speaker 4: I mean a hoodie. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, the bar gave us jackets, satin jackets, hoodies, and here's Doug. Doug doesn't care. Doug cares about Doug. Apparently it had been nice if you brought some gear, then we wear the gear and then you get product placement.
Speaker 3: That's what happens here.
Speaker 5: You know what that's a first year head coach. Yeah, though, yeah, it's all happening right.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Whenever I'd go to Duke and Coach k would load me up with Duke stuff. Big bag, Yeah, big bag John Wooden. When I went to interview coach, wouldn't he gave me gear?
Speaker 3: You know, just being a pennant. Yeah, maybe you know one of the nets when they won a championship, you know.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Coach Ewing came by that one time.
Speaker 2: Yes, he did, Dear big bag of swag, that's what he's that was his nickname, Big Bag of Swag.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Frank Kelly Endo, who apparently dominated last night. He will join us coming up final hour of the program. He was great though, it was so much fun.
Speaker 8: He was wonderful.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, I apparently say the word wonderful too many times.
Speaker 3: Apparently, according to twe of your go to compliments.
Speaker 5: Yes, and usually when you say it, you say it twice. This is a wonderful, wonderful person.
Speaker 3: Now it's in my head. Yeah, you're welcome. You know, Frank, It's.
Speaker 2: Kind of like Doug had a shooting tick. You know, it never left him. That's now, this wonderful is going to be there.
Speaker 5: Do you remember when we had the uh we were in the attic early early day of this show, and you had a crutch where you would say that's just it. You would so somebody would say it. You go, that's just it, And we started having the that's just it buzzer and the minute you said that's just it, we would.
Speaker 4: Go bang, I did it again.
Speaker 7: Or something's great theater. You were big on that, this great theater.
Speaker 2: You have no business saying anything, no business you're not piling on me.
Speaker 3: Hey, look at me.
Speaker 2: Frank Calaedendo is going to join his final hour of the program, Dan and the Dan Nuts here in Green Bay.