Speaker 1: Comedy Off Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes David Cross July twenty fourth and twenty fifth, Then catch Jeff Allen July thirtieth through August first, and don't miss Brent Turhoon August seventh and eighth. Comedy UF Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty nine years later. Four tickets called eight five, nine, two seven to one joke or visit Comedy off Broadway dot com co off Bay.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Welcome everyone.
Speaker 4: It is Kentucky Sports Radio here live at Kroger Field on an absolutely perfect day, overlooking the stadium where hopefully this season gives us a ton of excitement.
Speaker 3: You can give Shallock Clarks Puppy Shop full line A five.
Speaker 4: Nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, a vision Auto glass text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four In this edition sponsored by the TJ. Smith Office. If you call TJ, He'll make them pay. Today is Miracle Treat Day. It is for the UK Children's Hospital, Golisano Children's Hospital at UK and Norton's Children in Louisville and.
Speaker 3: Why does that matter?
Speaker 4: Tell me today, if you buy a blizzard at any of the sixty dairy queens across Kentucky, there will be a dollar from every blizzard soul given to Children's hospitals. So all across Kentucky you want to get a blizzard, get your coworkers, get your friends, get your family, go out on the street by people blizzards. A dollar goes to Children's Hospital for everyone in Kentucky. I hope there are lines at all of them for these for the good work of the folks at Children's Hospital. And in order to celebrate that, Yes UK invited us to do a show on a UK campus for the first time in years.
Speaker 5: Can't remember the last time we were on outside.
Speaker 3: Of Media Day.
Speaker 4: It's probably been since before COVID, and they invited us here and you, the fans, get a chance to do something you would otherwise never do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I know we weren't allowed to give notice beforehand, so you're gonna have to be spontaneous. But if you can get in your car and you can get to Kroger Field by noon, you'll be able to come up to the UK Football recruiting room, which the public is not allowed in correct.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get to see what they do with recruits.
Speaker 4: You will get a little mini tour of this stadium, Mary, and you can come out here and take a picture on the veranda in front of the field, which is about as good of you as you can get. You have until noon, and the first hundred people will get a free blizzard from.
Speaker 5: Dairy Queen while they're here.
Speaker 4: While they're here, you look like you're genuinely surprised, like you know, like you genuine I thought you were gonna like sell that, but now I know that's not faking.
Speaker 3: You didn't know that was happening.
Speaker 5: Of course I knew it was had I'm trying to play the part.
Speaker 3: Okay, it is at all right, it is radio. You did look surprised, though. It was a good acting. Thank you. Okay, sold me. So there they are. They're right there.
Speaker 4: The blizzards are sitting in that cooler waiting for you to uh to come. There are volunteers standing outside of Gate twelve who will escort you up the elevator. You're getting a tour that only the big donors get. But as long as you're here by twelve, you will get to do it. And you can meet us if you want. Yeah, very nice if you k to, ay, just let us do the show here. But to open the doors of the recruiting room to fans to come by, I mean this is a nice area that you otherwise don't get to see. You should absolutely take advantage of this. And if you walk away with Blizzard, and if you get here before eleven, you'll be able to meet Jay Batt, who's going to be joining us the new ad.
Speaker 3: So, so like, get in your.
Speaker 4: Car, I mean, don't wreck, Okay, like drive slow, but if you can get here, Uh, it's very exciting and I wish we could have announced it earlier, but they didn't want to have, you know, a swamp of people. And so now uh to the victor go the spoils. So skip out of work?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 5: It's miracle tree.
Speaker 4: Tell you what, if you're a boss out there, bring your whole department if you like give people the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and bring your department. I'll give you a shout.
Speaker 5: Out there you go.
Speaker 3: Free publicity, yes, but only one hundred people will get these Blizard.
Speaker 5: Well, this recding room is really cool. They you know, for a years we talked about how it was it was the worst. They had some folding chairs and some folding tables stuck over here in the Nutterfield house.
Speaker 3: But this is awesome.
Speaker 5: This is very nice. Yeah, and it's always packed every home game day with recruits their families. You know, they get to sit out here on the right here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, uh, Billy, I hope people will come by and uh, you know, they'll even get to meet you, which is I think a great bonus.
Speaker 6: We'll shake some hands, kiss some babies if you'd like me to h It is absolutely a beautiful day out here. Recruits actually can't be here. This is the one place where recruits can't be. They have to sit down under the deck, on the deck actually on game days. Yes, what do you mean they can't be per rules? Is they actually can't be on this deck that you could come out here.
Speaker 7: And experience before the game, to hang out here during game during the game.
Speaker 3: They kind of NCA rules that I don't know. You can't tell me there's not okay.
Speaker 4: There are people making five million dollars a place, Moore, and there's a rule they can't stand on the deck.
Speaker 3: Guess that'd be a recruiting violation. What a ridiculous rule got get out here when he kicks off.
Speaker 5: But they can come up here before the game. They can walk through it to go to the bathroom. There's food in there when they during game day, but they can't walk a dame deck.
Speaker 3: You cannot sit on the deck.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Have you been in here many times with Dane? Dane and Josiah both Ojojo Siah went like game day visits. You know, we come up here and we would sit right down here behind the.
Speaker 3: Gold which you couldn't sit on the deck.
Speaker 5: I didn't realize that you committed recruiting violation.
Speaker 3: Maybe we did.
Speaker 4: I think the first time they bring us back here in years and Ryan's already self reporting.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that the recruits could not be on the deck during the game.
Speaker 3: There's a sign right there. I'm just reading the sign of wow, okay breaking today.
Speaker 4: So the Children's Hospital of UK and Norton's Children in Louisville, every Derek Queen around the state, a dollar Mark Pope is involved, will Stein, Jay Batt. Everybody is encouraging. Want get to your dairy, queen. The machines are going to work.
Speaker 5: Everybody likes Blizzard, right, So if you just take the day to go get it man, Today's your day.
Speaker 4: Today is the So Jay Batt will join us here in a few minutes. Until then, I want to talk a little bit about the TBT. Oh yeah, the Cats to the finals. I need more exciting. Won the championship. He won the alumni Championship over an old Mario Chalmers and uh and Carlton Bragg retired Civil War general and uh, what a great victory.
Speaker 7: Another fun night there. I've been to all of them. That might have been the most energetic. The crowd really like from the start. They were into a lot of trash talking, lots of trash talk. Kansas did lots of jawing the refs. They're just giving it to the refs again. Those poor guys. They're thinking, why are you all yelling at me in July? But Kentucky fans were locked in from the tip and then had a pretty big blowout. I guess they narrated a little bit there at the end, but it was mostly a fun night of just piling on Kansas.
Speaker 4: It looked awesome. I mean I was watching I went to the Reds game. Decision cut edwin Royo, but I watched it on my phone and it was fun to watch. I mean we yesterday it looked like everyone on the team was good. Like, we had a bunch of people play good. I mean, Archie's the best, but a lot of other guys stepped up.
Speaker 5: There was no doubt who the best team was. Last night they destroyed Kansas. I mean it was more than a twenty point game most like and a half felt worse than that. But Drew's right. We talked about it. The crowd felt like almost like an SEC tournament crowd. They were so into every single possession. These are a lot of fans that don't get to go to rupt, you know, so they go to this game. So they're enjoying themselves. I sat in the up arena and enjoyed every second of it.
Speaker 7: Is this the football team, yeah, ty, Bryan, that's the tennis team.
Speaker 4: If that's a tennis team, we're not gonna be very good. I don't think some of those guys have tennis builds. Okay, So that's another thing. If you come, I mean, don't tell anybody, Billy, but it looks like you can watch a little football.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I've been watching it ever since we got out here. I didn't first look at him for me.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you just get in your car and come here? A blizzard in Kentucky insight, and now you're gonna get to watch, Like, I haven't even watched the team. So who are those people?
Speaker 7: That's all of them?
Speaker 5: Hors Ty Bryant is one of the ones in the front.
Speaker 7: There was up there leading.
Speaker 3: Oh he's yelling. Yeah, look at Todd Bryan. He's leading the jumping jacks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're about to get okay if they can.
Speaker 4: If they kept jumping jack I was gonna make you go out there and jumping Jacksonith.
Speaker 5: Well you know, I think they want me to kind of go through the recruiting process while we're here.
Speaker 3: Well, you're on the deck, so that really that's really the team?
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah wow, Summer workouts camp starts this Weekend's huge.
Speaker 3: He could beat you up, Billy. Well yeah, probably all of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not a fighter. I'm a lover.
Speaker 4: We're gonna get so again, you could watch workouts and stuff. I'm gonna be interested to see who the first person is that they get to the door, comes see the.
Speaker 7: Door seeing the current football team. But back on TBT, the current basketball team was just as into it. Last night as the fans.
Speaker 3: Dude, they were sitting on the front row.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well four of them are on the front row, the Hawthorns, Alex Wilkins and Mason Williams. And they weren't kind of into it. They might have loved it more than anyone else. Archie's pointing out him every time he scores, they're pointing back. They're jawn with Mario Chalmers and they weren't even born yet when he was playing. I couldn't believe how much they were into it. They've attended every game, but last night they were all the way locked in. I'm ready to get job Obbs.
Speaker 6: The spot on the coaching coach Hooden is absolutely like he's killing it.
Speaker 3: I mean, what and what and what a great job he's done.
Speaker 5: Colin plays like the winning bucket. They tried to set up play try to get Willy to have an Ally dunk. So he's trying to do the right thing. But you mean he drew me into the former players, the old players. Shagary was as much as a sighty.
Speaker 4: Cam is maybe my favorite part of the games. I mean, he's out there and the picture which I went to the game with the Turkey utter and he highlighted Shagary standing over top of Kelly Kraft. Yeah, it is quite a side Schregary gets into.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've got like five minutes worth of video of Schregary. I record him while the game is going on directly in front of me. I'm turning to getting Shaggari, but he's just so into it. Wu was just a couple of things down from him. I needed Wu to get up and join him. If we had those two over the.
Speaker 4: Say, I remember when Shagari played. I feel like he has a lot more energy now than when he played, don't you.
Speaker 5: There is no doubt, but he is. He is into it as anybody standing up most of the game. Even when we're up twenty he's up there standing up, talking trash and.
Speaker 3: And like he's putting it himself in defensive posture. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's telling him stop ball, stop ball, stop ball, Like you have Hood coaching this end and he's coaching the defensive end.
Speaker 3: Hood. Man.
Speaker 7: They're up twenty five, still still lighting them up for you know, not guarded.
Speaker 4: What did you see Drew's clever little tweet? No, it was he said coffee and Mayo.
Speaker 3: Will Levis would be proud because you get it. There was like, we haven't guy coffee, ye, and he's guarding Mayo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do you get it?
Speaker 3: Hey, we got our first guy. Hell yes.
Speaker 7: My other one was Searon Collins, who coaches Kansas. He only coached the team because he heard he could have Mayo. You don't know if you saw him.
Speaker 5: But I could not believe that was him.
Speaker 4: I mean, Sean Collins, as my great aunts would would say, got a side bit stout.
Speaker 7: Yeah, more than a side bit.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that was him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he had that build when he played. He thought, you know, he could balloon up a little bit when he retires. I didn't know that was him.
Speaker 3: Got a little got got a little you know, habit all of us.
Speaker 4: You know, maybe we could use him out here to stop the run, plug the gap.
Speaker 7: Also, like two of their players got kicked off Kansas, Billy Preston was in the FBI.
Speaker 3: I love that like that.
Speaker 4: I mean that would be like next year we bring in Kerr. Yeah, Prust never played there. He got him in trouble and then now he's on their alumni. There's something the chaos of TBT makes me so happy. You don't know what's gonna happen. People at any moment might get in a fight. There is just absolute like the rosters come and go, and like.
Speaker 3: The TBT is way more enterta every year.
Speaker 4: I think, well, now if the tbt's times passed, and then Billy, they continue to make themselves entertaining.
Speaker 6: To me, that wasn't there last night, but they sat on the broadcast. The Kansas team had to bust overnight.
Speaker 4: See that it's crazy. So they took a bus from Lawrence, Kansas. Lawrence, Kansas is fourteen days for me. I mean, it's the worst drive we've done it.
Speaker 3: It's awful.
Speaker 6: And they bust, Yeah, bust overnight, got in at six am and then had to shoot around at like eleven that morning.
Speaker 3: Well, no wonder they look sleepy.
Speaker 7: Chalmers played ten years in the NBA, has several rings on his finger. He's busting as a forty year old.
Speaker 4: But there's something kind of beautiful about that that he wants to do.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, I mean I like that. I like that. These guys, I mean we talked about it.
Speaker 4: Khalil Whitney and Archie Goodwin have completely changed the way fans will.
Speaker 5: Look at them, no doubt.
Speaker 3: And then Andrew Harrison playing I just I really am Willie.
Speaker 4: Willie's got one leg and he's out there walking around like it's awesome.
Speaker 7: But on the other side of it, I feel like we've we've kicked some former players out of BPN for not showing up.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marcus Lee can't ever come back. You know, if you show up, you're good. But if you don't, we want you to volunteer. Actually you can be better volunteer. But then when we do, I love it.
Speaker 3: I think it's great. And now they play Sunday at what time?
Speaker 7: One the one part of this is they've knocked out Louisville, Syracuse, Kansas in order, and now we might be playing the local steel mill.
Speaker 4: Now we're playing a steel mill run by two brothers. See, that's another thing that's great about DVD. You get Mario Chalmers, you're out. You know, Louisville you're out, Syracuse you're out. Oh, by the way, here comes Davis Steele three Davis and whoever his brother is.
Speaker 5: For Russell Springs, Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see they played tonight. Yeah, I kind of hope we play it.
Speaker 4: We got that storyline we need UK versus the Steel Company all right, we are here. We already have It looks like four people have already showed up during the first segment.
Speaker 3: You can join us.
Speaker 4: There's ninety six blizzards left for the next hour and forty five minutes and get one. And the UK football team is sprinting. They like to yell, don't they getting fired up? Getting fine? I'm getting fired up. We'll take a break of be right back. It is Miracle Treat Day here at Kroger Field, working back. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Folks continue to show up. See I knew if you if you build it and give away blizzards, they will come.
Speaker 5: Free food, wreathe the crowd out every single time.
Speaker 3: That's right, Are you UK or you you you work? Okay?
Speaker 4: So he was our first visitor there. So eight five nine two A zero twenty two eighty seven. First of all, a couple of things. This is a Miracle Treat Day by blizzard. Today dollar goes to Children's hospital in Lexington or Louisville. Jay Bad is going to join us here in just a minute. I want to thank you K for setting this up. First of all, letting us back on campus.
Speaker 3: That was awesome. I think there's been a change of the mine set.
Speaker 4: There, but they and Billy worked into the night last night to get this to this idea came about it like five o'clock yesterday and Billy and Jake with the UK. You guys worked and you I think you didn't get it finalized till eleven o'clock last night.
Speaker 3: So thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, thank you for having us out UK, and thank you to Tom Leach who joined me on the pre show.
Speaker 4: Each came Tom Leach. You had to wake him up out of bed and tell him to come here this morning.
Speaker 6: No, no, he just had to change some plans late. But this is a really cool place to see and happy we can get it done.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you we got an itinerary with a parking map last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: This is way beyond professional. He set this up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so come on up.
Speaker 4: This is you're gonna you got a chance here to see what you which you otherwise couldn't see. They now have the players climbing the steps. Are you watching this? They're look at these workouts we're doing. You're climbing and walking the steps.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think our fans are already here to get blizzards are really enjoying the sneak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this team honestly didn't know that the football sneak peak was part of this, and adone was sitting there watching them work out. I didn't Who knew that getting to see the football team would be part of this?
Speaker 7: Didn't tell me that they're had some chair backs up there in the in the upper level.
Speaker 3: And the stadium looks really fiel you think, don't you. I mean, this looks really really it's beautiful.
Speaker 5: You know, everything's blue out here. But they've they've improvised it and improved it so much over the years. It's now one of the better places to go to.
Speaker 3: Do they make the play They still make the players front of the steps.
Speaker 5: All conditioning stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, boy, that would be terrible. I hate it.
Speaker 7: It's about to get real hard for him when camp starts. Yes, this is I guess the workout before you start leading right up to it, and they are they're adding chairbacks. How much of this place is going to be chairbacks now? Because it's what is that the first five rows of the top.
Speaker 5: Section, so these two sections you'll have bleachers, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the first five rows of the top sections on both sides now look like they're gonna have chairbacks.
Speaker 7: I can't wait to get out here when it's official. This is just adding to it, And what a great weather day. It already feels kind of like football weather out here.
Speaker 4: One person says, Matt, I don't want to say it, but I'm gonna say it. I think TVT games might be more fun in person than regular games. I absolutely love it. We bought our tickets for Sunday immediately.
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna agree with that, but I will say several people came up to me last night and said that it's not that one texture. Lots of people thought I'm having more fun here than I did with the real thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 7: It just maybe a little more loose Chigari's on the court. The elimning does add to it. If this was the guy's dribbling out and shooting free throws, I don't know it'd be nearly as fun.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: The ad stress because even though we were up twenty, You're like, well, we still got to score.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you still got to score the points. You can't just stand around.
Speaker 7: But if that fourth quarter had just been passing the ball around and drawing fouls and going line that wouldn't have nearly the excitement.
Speaker 5: There's definitely a buzz last night, And like we talked about, I think it's just fans. They don't get the opportunity to come watch the current catch play. They got a chance to come watch this game, and they're into it. Every single person was into the game last night.
Speaker 4: One person writes, the Davis steel team is a little bit like the Simpsons episode where mister Burns loads up the company softball team with Ken Griffy Junior, Jose Conseco, and Darryl Strawberry.
Speaker 7: They're a good team. They've loaded up. We can't sleep on them just because they're the local steel.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, we can't let the steel mill that decided to change from Kentucky.
Speaker 3: We can't let them win.
Speaker 5: They went and sponsored the team that beat us last year.
Speaker 3: I mean, how do you do that? How do you do that?
Speaker 5: But they listened to KSR.
Speaker 4: And I'm not mad at you, but I'm mad at you through Monday. Yes we could, and I'm giving you free publicity, David Steele, this is what you wanted.
Speaker 5: I mean, they're located on the right from Casey Canty's on the right.
Speaker 3: And you know me, I'm on the left, that's.
Speaker 5: Right, and Ryan calling him out yesterday a little bit.
Speaker 4: So by the way, you just I like how you just said, uh, good to see you guys. I like how you just said that Ashley Davis was mad. You didn't even know that to be true. Hurt feelings, you said, hurt feelings.
Speaker 3: You need to talk to me.
Speaker 5: I trust my source on my text machine that that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 4: How you, first of all, you don't even have a text machine. I have the text machine.
Speaker 5: We have the a vision glass alternate text machine.
Speaker 3: And you you take those even when oh, I.
Speaker 5: Think there's nothing but serious and truthful on there. Where do you think I get all my scoops from?
Speaker 3: It's always supposed to be one text machine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but we were when you when you haven't asked a question. I looked at the clock and it was like fifty four, Like we just got a couple of minutes. We got to get right to it, and I know, pussy footing around, We got to go after it.
Speaker 3: Goodness, grapeos, we're on campus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but when it's this is by beat that next to my parents, that might be the most religious man I know, and you're just out here throwing words around.
Speaker 5: It's it's football season. It's time to get nasty. Championship week here.
Speaker 7: Nasty is peakern women today.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: Somebody asked me yesterday literally they said, is Ryan Lemon see like one hundred percent back? I think the answer is now yes. I'm not sure if it was yes, but maybe today it's yes.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of things I'd like to tell you, but I can't.
Speaker 3: Please don't.
Speaker 5: I think there's some stories that will never ever be told.
Speaker 4: I think I think we can. We can leave it there, all right. So Jay Bat's gonna join us here. Oh, there he is. He's out there.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 4: He does the blazer, the blazer, no tie, Yeah thing, he does that very well. That's pattern blazer he was wearing one last Yeah, they're gonna make you get up here and he's gonna join it.
Speaker 3: I think they're going over the last minute notes. Yeah, Brian, do you.
Speaker 4: Have a question that you're wanting to ask We have him for about twenty or twenty five minutes.
Speaker 5: I'd love to ask him a question like what's his forty times?
Speaker 3: You're not going first, okay, we're trying to have Davis Steel. He's heard of them.
Speaker 4: See look, Amy's gonna see this is what I like. He walks in here. First thing he does, he goes and shakes the hands of the people who's coming here to get the fancy.
Speaker 3: I like that. That's a really you know what, that's a really good start.
Speaker 7: It is also the sneaker blazer combo.
Speaker 4: But that's me the sneaker blazer combo. I think is is really good. But see so I I genuinely think people who do that that is a that's a really good sign. He was at TVT last night making the rounds too, with the crafts.
Speaker 7: Setting between the crafts, knew where he needed to go with the fansy. Mario already met him. You know, Mario just walked right up introducing, wait, wait minute you I'm excited. This is going to be your first age nearly two decades on the job, two decades on the job, this will be the first Why do you they got war a polo.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be so exciting for you. But you would get to Mario needs.
Speaker 5: To capture the moment, this historic moment.
Speaker 3: Yes we do. So I go for the hug. You know, I think I go a long hug.
Speaker 5: Gott dap him up.
Speaker 7: I think I hold him for like three seconds, A long, awkward hug.
Speaker 4: This is I think it's a combination of the sugar from the blizzard and being here when we didn't think we would be, and watching our new football team. Who uh oh, I think they're headed off the field. So see you had to get there early. But they may be. Oh, they're saying they may be coming back at eleven. Okay, I I two A twenty two eighty seven. If you have questions that you would like to ask the new athletic director, I'm going to look at the text machine during the break. I certainly have mine. And this is his debut in front of the state audience.
Speaker 5: It's kind of historic knowing that he's been on the job, what now, two days, three days, and he's already gonna come on KSR.
Speaker 3: I know that that is very historic.
Speaker 4: Could also remember miracle treat Day UK Children's Hospital, Norton's Children's Hospital. If you buy a blizzard anywhere in the state today, a dollar of it will go to the children's hospital. We're going to take a break. Beautiful Kroger Field. This looks amazing today. The blue popping off the sun and we will.
Speaker 3: Be right back. This is KSR.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 4: It is Kentucky Sports Radio Miracle Treat Day and now joined by athletic director Jay Batt. Jay, thank you very much, first time on KSR.
Speaker 3: We appreciate you taking.
Speaker 9: The time, glad to be here, fellas, appreciate you guys having me and good day for all of it. So appreciate you being here. It's a beautiful day, my goodness, beautiful day.
Speaker 4: And I liked you getting to meet some fans that stopped by, well on short notice. We only gave them thirty minutes notice, but that's BBN. They get here in thirty minutes.
Speaker 9: Well, I tell you what I got to experience a little bit last night.
Speaker 2: We were talking about it.
Speaker 9: All fair, but it's incredible BBN showing up in July for basketball, thirty five hundred people, loud, intense, you know, lot familiar gets a w a big one on Sunday. But that just speaks to the power of and the importance of BBN.
Speaker 3: It's awesome. So you decided to come here.
Speaker 4: I interviewed you the day it got announced, and you talked about what made you see the job as attractive. Okay, now you've been here a little bit. I know you just started, but you kind of see the Kentucky fan base just in those last few weeks, your preconception of what it would be to now what's happened.
Speaker 9: You know, I think it's I think it's a promised, given, promised, answered kind of thing, and that I think everything I expected Big Blue Nation to be, you know, and again listen, I got all of forty eight hours here, so we'll say that you know, early, early, early and often, but just you know, whether it's you know, externally, I walked into my office, I had a whole stack of male of welcome, hope you do great, glad you're a part of it.
Speaker 2: Pieces.
Speaker 9: So I would say I expected it to be passionate, expected it to be, you know, kind of give your all for Kentucky. And that is what I have experienced early. I mean last night, first event I've been to on campus, to your very.
Speaker 3: First event was TBT. It was I love it, yeah, show it was so yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I mean it's it's great.
Speaker 9: But even you know, I tell you what, whether it's BBN our student athletes, like I was walking around the building last night whether it's meeting some of the football guys, basketball guys, women's basketball, volleyball, over and craft center, like, we've got great kids too. And So, to answer your question directly, BBN's been exactly what I had hoped and what it's been billed to be so far.
Speaker 4: Now you have a lot of have to do today, So I kind of want to ask you some very like specific questions that I know fans kind of want to know the answer.
Speaker 3: Let's start with football since we're here. Okay, the question I.
Speaker 4: Get from fans the most in the new era is do you think the revenue exist and the structure you do this to make Kentucky not just a competitive football program but a top level one. It's changed in the last couple of years. I kind of think it makes it easier for schools like Kentucky in some ways.
Speaker 3: What do you do you think this is a place that can do it?
Speaker 9: Yes, I think for sure, I think I'm gonna answer that emphatically. Yes, And frankly, I wouldn't be here, neither would will Stein if that was if that wasn't the answer. You know, I think it's it's a couple of things, right. We have a tradition. We have championship excellence in this athletic department broadly, that's the base on which all of this is built. I think part of it is we have already done some of the hard work to build structure. Right we talk about champions blue you know, we can talk more about that, about the nimbleness that creates This is constantly changing, right, you know, we're we're we're dealing with everything from legislative things to rule making that's happening on the fly, and NCAA is continuing to evolve in its approach.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 9: We just five for five just popped, you know, came out here shortly. All of those changes. The structure is right, the tradition is right, the tradition of excellence is right. Yeah, we're gonna have to lean in now and again. I think part of the you know, when we were together, I made the point to say, and I mean it, big Blue Nation is the most important thing we have here. It is the most important part of what we will do to be successful in the future. And so part of it is like it's our job to build structure, to to go and find and do. But at the end of the day, like it's a partnership. And so I think the answer to your question is absolutely positively. Yes, We're gonna have to continue to evolve, and.
Speaker 3: So you could see a world that they host a playoff game in this state.
Speaker 9: I love that we took a walk today and we were talking about one of my first big facilities. Walked this morning six am. We had a great crew that was walking with me. We walked the stadium and it wasn't just where's sec Nation going to set up? Is where's college game day?
Speaker 3: Upset up? A right nice happened once.
Speaker 9: Let's let's make that happen again, because that says is we're in this thing and we're doing it, and that at the end of the day, like we're thinking there, right, And so I think to your point, yes I want to.
Speaker 4: Come back to football, let's but I want to make sure I get some other stuff basketball. Mark's Story had a story yesterday that said, just historically, this has been the toughest decade for UK basketball since its beginning. Do you think, in terms of basketball, what have you seen from afar or that needs to happen to get Kentucky to where it has been historically?
Speaker 9: You know, I think part of it is, so we talked about the same things, right, history, tremendous, standard of excellence, tremendous, big blue nation behind basketball tremendous. And I think Mark's got a great team on the floor. I've been to a few practices, will say that. You know, I like the fact that he's evaluating talent every day. Not me, but I think we're in a great spot to have that success. And listen, like, you know, I think Mark was beyond with you guys where he said he understands the mission. He's not going to shy away from the fact that the standard is the standard for Kentucky basketball. And Mark knows that. And I also have that same standard, right like, we need to be there.
Speaker 4: The structure of both football as a gem, Yeah, basketball does not, do you think it should.
Speaker 9: I'll tell you this, it's high on my list to dig into our player management strategy broadly. And so, you know, I think part of what you look at is we've made this evolution in college sports from where that was never a part of the equation at all to today where we'll call it broadly player managements super important. There is delta to be had, there there is margin of excellence to be had by investing in that space. And so listen, I'm gonna ge with Mark, I've got with Will, We're gonna get with got with Kenny. And you know, listen, there's there is nil and revenue share across a bunch of different sports, and so adding capability, expertise, value around player management at the department level is important.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you look from afar and decide whether to take this job, and one of the things you look at is, Okay, what can I be of help for You told me when we first talked, you have a lot of comfort and experience generating revenue, et cetera. So let's put that piece to the side. Because you've talked a lot about that. What are two or three other things you looked at and said, that's something that needs to happen there that I think I can help happen.
Speaker 9: You know, I think part of it is one listen. You look for spots where you can, you know, hopefully help and have an impact. I think part of it is my number one job today, yesterday and in the in the very new future is I got to go listen and learn, right, And so whether that's meeting with every one of our head coaches meeting with our staff.
Speaker 2: Like this is Kentucky.
Speaker 9: We got great staff, and so absolutely there are places where I'm gonna dig and get deep. But at the same point in time, you know, you've only got so many hours in the day, and so we'll have to pick those as we go, Matt. But there are definitely places, you know, whether it's gaming experience, Listen, I've been to a lot of different venues across a couple of different leagues. I think we can new different ideas. Certainly look at some of those things. But you know, listen, this is not a broken place. This is a great place. And I hope I can add to that, but this is a good spot.
Speaker 3: Do you.
Speaker 4: I was looking. The baseball team has a top ten recruiting class. The volleyball team is obviously the favorite in the SEC. The women's basketball team is going to be really good. There's been a concern I know from people in sort of the secondary sports, can't I mean schools to some extent almost have to choose do you agree with that statement or do you think you can be excellent at all of these and do you think you're gonna be able to keep all the sports in the modern era.
Speaker 2: Keep all the sports for sure.
Speaker 9: Okay, that would be you know, I've got history of when I was at the University of Maryland we cut seven sports. Worst day I've ever had in college athletics. I will do everything I possibly can and don't see a world in which that changes. I think, you know, part of the the insight question is part of what makes Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Special is we have had that broad based success.
Speaker 9: We have built that championship standard of excellence more broadly than maybe in previous let's say, decades before it exists. Uh, my goal would be to keep that and so part of that, Matt would be But in order to do that, we have to be hyper focused on driving ROI back to the department, not just the sake of you know, we talked about how like you know, some things I've done the past to drive revenue, that that will be a focus of mine, certainly, but not simply just to drive revenue. You're gonna, you know, work with our tools. Right this big stadium we're sitting in, you can drive revenue here Rub Memorial. There's there's the ability to drive revenue, but not just to do it, but to do it to spread and and build. You know, I think you know you talked about you know, was with with with Menes morning listen, like top ten in the country eighth and yes it's a tough neighborhood, but dog gone it like we can continue to have success in places like that volleyballs with Craig this morning as well, like that.
Speaker 2: What an incredible program he's built.
Speaker 9: What now it's going to continue to take more as the as you know what that takes evolves. But we're in a really good spot for it. So yes, we can do it, and we plan on it. We'll have to keep pushing it. BBN is gonna have to step in there with us, which I know they will, but we it's it's very doable.
Speaker 5: You walked in here and the first thing you did was shake the hands of the fans, not your staff members, not us, You shook the hands of the fans.
Speaker 3: How do you.
Speaker 5: Generally monitor the pulse of the fan base when you're that like director.
Speaker 3: Good question, A great question. Yeah, who knew.
Speaker 5: I slept the holiday and expression that.
Speaker 9: You gotta listen, you gotta listen, and you know part of that is uh, you know to you know it it will not be the only time that I shake the hands of the fans, you know, whether it's inbound contact from emails or whatever. Listen, Like, I value very much what the fans have to say, and so people will have very candid conversations with me, or they'll provide feedback that's okay. I'd like that, we want it. That's how we get better. But it'll be one on one. I'll listen when when folks are saying, you know, part of that is we're really fortunate BBM will tell us what they're feeling.
Speaker 4: I do think in the past generations in this I'm not no dispersions to people, but a lot of people in BBM didn't feel.
Speaker 3: Like their voices could be heard.
Speaker 4: You know, how do you think you can make it to where they don't feel that detachment? Because I know a lot of our listeners over the years that was their biggest complaint to me, I don't feel like my voice is heard.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, listen, I think part of that is, you know, there's millions and millions and millions of voices, so every single one we're not gonna, you know, be able to immediately and irrevocably address. But I think listen, like this opportunity for us to be together and you just to communicate some of that even on behalf of I'm here to listen and to learn and listen. We'll make best efforts. Like we might not hit a home run every time, but we're gonna be up here and we'll be we'll get to the plate.
Speaker 7: Before you're even a candidate here or even in being an athletic director, maybe growing up, what was your perception of UK athletics or maybe a memory of watching Kentucky. I know you're from Virginia nearby. I went to you and see did you have any early early thoughts of UK even though you weren't a part of it.
Speaker 9: I think what you think of when you think of UK is I'll say this one. You know, I was in Nashville for a SEC tournament and you know, was with a different team, lost early, and all of a sudden, out of everywhere, Big Blue Nations just showed up and took over the entire town. That that's what I know of big like it is the incredible passion in the fan base, and that that permeates all of college sports. That's known across college sports. So growing up in a college town, in an acc town like Kentucky basketball and the fan base that goes with it, the football, all of ours.
Speaker 3: It is. It is known.
Speaker 4: Since you've been facing me, just look at what's shown up. Since you've got now, you got now. You've had a lot of people, a lot of people come right. I got some questions from the audience, other people have asked. One person says, I would like to ask Jay Beatt when it comes to negotiating contracts. We've had some issues over the years where long term contracts have made it feel like we were trapped in situations. What is his philosophy on contracts for coaches and whether to have them long with big biles.
Speaker 9: Well, that's a that's a that's a that's an interesting one. You know, I think there's a I've had certainly a lot of experience across a lot of years with coaches contracts, and you know, those coaches contracts that work well are ones where you are mutually incented for success, and so finding a way within those contracts to incent success provide that you do have some backside protection. That's important being smart kind of what I talked about earlier in the player management side, you've got to be smart about it, and you've also got to have relationships in the business.
Speaker 2: When we were able to deliver on.
Speaker 4: That, got some just have a few minutes. Got a bunch of questions about scheduling, So let me do both sports basketball fans. I hear two complaints on scheduling. One is can we play in a cool tournament? We don't ever get to play in these cool tournaments. Now there's one starting I believe you may that we start in next year home up games, non conference. A lot of people say, can we get that schedule?
Speaker 3: Better? Thoughts on that, I'll just.
Speaker 2: Tell you that.
Speaker 9: So we're really fortunate that this is a national brand and that we participate in some you know, one off games, right we're playing you and C in New York, or we're in champions That that is a that is a say in some ways that that's a privilege, would be a way that really helps us nationally from our brand perspective. So we're gonna have to figure out how to continue to maintain that. But big picture, what you'll hear from me is I want our best content in front of our fans in our venues, and part of what we're gonna do. Listen, we're in the football stadium. We spend a lot of dollars in here to renovate suites, which you've seen. We've got plans on the deck that I'm gonna look at here shortly around adding some additional spaces in the stadium.
Speaker 3: Go forward.
Speaker 9: Part of that is if we're going to ask people to step forward, take on new premium seats, give generously, et cetera. They want great content in the building, and so that'll be something we'll work on.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 9: We can't walk away from really unique, incredible opportunities that drive our brand nationally. I mean Kentucky, as you guys know, I mean we are known nationally for who we are and what we do.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: You were at Michigan State. They do the Champions Classic with us every year. That's obviously, that's obviously good. I think some people go, look, our only good home game is Louisville this year, because they're not a way to do that.
Speaker 2: I think that's something we'll look at.
Speaker 9: And again i'll give you the without answering the hey, we're gonna do X, Y and Z today or tomorrow. Philosophically, I'd like us to have our best content or some of our best content in front of our home fans game. We're gonna ask BBN to step up and do more. We got to continue to deliver value for them in our buildings.
Speaker 4: Foot football SEC is going to and goes to nine games, right, you got the Louisville series?
Speaker 3: Yep, let's start with that. Are we going to keep the Louisville series? No matter where this goes.
Speaker 9: I've had no conversations where that wouldn't be that, that wouldn't be the direction.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, Do you see a world in which what happens beyond that is it? Do you think the world stays where the other two games are kind of less marquee but you know, and I understand why people play those games, or do you think there's a world I've heard some people in the SEC say I think we should play all good twelve twelve?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 9: You know, Listen, the SEC is the best football league in the country. I think we'll make Some of that will happen as we go forward to figure out what is that level? Right, and and and part of that is at the end of the day, we will get to that decision making as we go at.
Speaker 2: First forty eight hours. I'll get we're not to that point.
Speaker 9: But I think part of what makes the SEC so rate is that one to sixteen is so quality, and so as you know we're moving to the nine games, we'll continue that that will create a certain say, evolution that will continue to and I think it's a positive having really great games, certainly those in this league, and having more of them is a positive.
Speaker 4: They're telling me, you have like two minutes. I have two quick questions. One, I know it's been forty eight hours, but it's right now on it the bill before Congress?
Speaker 3: Yep? Are you for it? Against it? Do you not know yet? I mean, what do you think?
Speaker 9: What I would tell you is, I think one, I very much appreciate the fact that we have such national attention on an evolving college athletics landscape.
Speaker 2: That's really important.
Speaker 9: I think we as a college athletics enterprise, our elected leaders have worked really, really hard to get us to this point where we've got something that's in process. Now, what I would tell you, Matt is it continues to evolve, and so we can't tell you I'm not going to give you a one or a zero here that we're you know, supportive or not, but I think is we've got great leadership with the league Commissioner Sankie's working his tail off to make sure to put us in a position to have that discussion, and I think, you know, we'll see where should we go.
Speaker 4: Last question, I want to give you like a minute without answering my question, just to address that there's a lot of people who are hearing your voice for the first time to address the BBN before you go.
Speaker 9: Gosh, that's an incredible opportunity, and thank you for that. What I would just say is, first and foremost, really humbled and blessed to be a part of it. Our family is excited to be here. I'm ecstatic to be here and to be a part of this athletics family. So that's first and foremost. I think secondly, I think everybody should hear that we're in a really good place. You asked a question at the beginning. The answer is emphatically yes. We are built for the fact that college athletics is changing and is going to continue to change.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 9: I think some of the questions we talked to today, we asked about we're dealing with one set of facts that, but a month from now, six months from now, a year for now will be very different. Part of what I think is so important is that we are prepared for that. We've done a lot of the hard work. The third part of that is it's where you and I ended last time. I want everybody in Big Blue Nation to know emphatically directly from me that whether they come and they do I one ticket to one game a year, whether they never make it to RUP or Kroger or Memorial, they matter. Because when I said earlier that the Big Blue Nation is our delta, that might be that we have folks that step up and give dollars or buy new premium seats, or buy new season tickets, or add one more preseason ticket. But doing a little bit more for Kentucky Athletics, that's all that matters. And Big Blue Nation as we go, listen, I look forward to spending more time with you guys in helping define Hey, what does that mean? How can I help? If I'm here? How do I get that one more notch up? Big Blue Nation is the delta. And so I just want everybody in Big Blue Nation to hear for me directly they matter the most. This place is special because of them and because of the people, and I'm really lucky to be here.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much for doing it, Jay Batt. We appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Good luck all right, thanks Guysure to take a quick break and be right back here at Crogerfield's KSR.