Speaker 1: Col Zone Media.
Speaker 2: On December eighth, two thousand, a bishop ordained a new minister in his church. The procedure for this sort of thing varies depending on the denomination, but in this case, the ceremony didn't take place in a church. There was no ceremony, and there wasn't really much of a church to speak of. There is not even any evidence that these two men ever met.
Speaker 1: Face to face.
Speaker 2: The ordination took place through the mail, and by the time William Fink was holding the envelope containing his certificate of ordination, it had already been opened. Federal prisons opened most of the male sent to the people they house. A few years into his fourteen year sentence for beating a man to death while working as a corrections officer in New Jersey, Fink felt divinely called to reinterpret the Bible. He even learned ancient Greek to create his own translations of Biblical texts, all in service of proving that Jewish people were the descendants of Satan. And this certificate made it official he was a Christian identity minister. Today, William Fink is one of the leading purveyors of Christian identity propaganda. The man who ordained him. Frank Smith is dead. I'm Molly Conger and this is where little guys. This is the story of Frank Smith's final evolution. He was a bank robber, a bomber, a hit man, a loan shark, a Nazi, and for the latter half of his life a minister. As a young man in the early nineteen fifties, he worked as a boxing promoter, but he kept getting arrested for bank robbery. If you believe a prosecutor in New York, he was also available as a murderer for hire. He had a reputation for being the guide to call when members of New England Organized crime needed something bombed. While he was in prison for blowing up a man's house, he read a few issues of the Rockwell Report, a newsletter written by American Nazi Party leader George Lincoln Rockwell. He was so intrigued by Rockwell's message that he drove down to Virginia to meet the man. Just weeks after being released from prison in nineteen sixty five, Frank Smith had a proposition for the Nazi Party. He owned six hundred acres of land up in Maine that the Nazis could use to start a fake church. It would provide the party with some institutional legitimacy, and it would make it easier for the group to accept donations. After meeting with Rockwell, Frank reported back to a man in charge of a different organization, Raymond patriarcha head of the New England Mafia. He hoped that the two groups could have a mutually beneficial relationship, but it wasn't meant to be. Frank ran a foul of the mafia by ordering hits without permission from the boss, and he found himself on the wrong end of a gun one night in March of nineteen sixty five. After barely surviving the attempted hit, Frank went back down to Virginia to help out with Rockwell's campaign for governor. It was there that he met his wife, Claudia, one of the Nazi Party secretaries.
Speaker 1: For two years.
Speaker 2: Frank was an active member of the American Nazi Party and apparently a close friend of both George Lincoln Rockwell and Rockwell's mistress, Barbara von Getz. Rockwell even gave Frank a fun nickname, the Holy Father. He had, after all, approached Rockwell with the great idea of forming a whites only church. But Frank wasn't actually all that religious. He was, however, full of bullet holes from that botched mob hit. When they first met in early nineteen sixty five, the timing seemed perfect. Rockwell had been considering the possibility of hiding his Nazi rhetoric behind some kind of faux Christian front for years, and now here's Frank offering him the resources to bring that idea to life. Rockwell himself had no attachment to Christianity or religion of any kind, but he saw the political value in pretending his message was a Christian one, and he was in close contact with the burgeoning Christian identity movement. I think it bears repeating every time this comes up, which is not infrequently, But Christian identity means something specific, and it isn't Christianity. To say someone is an adherent of Christian identity isn't just another way of saying they are someone who identifies as a Christian. This isn't someone who is Methodist or Presbyterian or Catholic or anything like that. It isn't a Christian denomination and there's no real doctrinal unity among its adherents at its core, though, the one thing all Christian Identity adherents share is a commitment to a deeply racist, anti Semitic belief system centered around the idea that white Europeans are God's true chosen people. Rockwell knew that in the nineteen sixties. He was in contact with men like Wesley Swift, the father of the Christian Identity movement, and Richard Butler, the man who would later turned Swift's church into the Arian Nations.
Speaker 1: But Frank didn't.
Speaker 2: Frank was just a career criminal, an opportunist looking for a new way to get ahead, an organized crime. He didn't know a damn thing about anything besides collecting payments from guys who made bad bets on boxing matches.
Speaker 3: I'm dal stas a bunch of kids from the coach and they're telling me I'm of Israel. What is this I know about? I know all about the childs and the history. Right yeah, I'm telling here, I says, And that's telling me. I'm a chill. That's telling me I'm Israel. I don't know anything about ten trigsonless.
Speaker 2: When members of the American Nazi Party first explained Christian identity to Frank on his first visit down to the barracks in nineteen sixty five, he was offended. They said he was a descendant of the true Israelites, and he didn't know what that meant, so he thought they were accusing him of being Jewish.
Speaker 3: And we never discussed that either. I never knew of any particular faith. He had never asked them, stayed away from it. It was political. We tested that way. Political and racial. Absolutely racial.
Speaker 2: That's Frank describing the original plan he and Rockwell had for their partnership. He's remarkably candid in this interview. He has no problem admitting what was on his mind when he started down the path of forming his church. He's talking about nineteen sixty five, but that interview was recorded in twenty sixteen. You can probably tell, even just from the handful of clips I've used throughout this series, he's rambling. He sort of fades in and out, and he mumbles, and he doesn't finish all of his thoughts, and some of his thoughts seem to start in the middle, or he's reminiscing about things that don't quite make sense. He was ninety five years old in twenty sixteen, So even though I listened to the entire interview a few times. There's a lot missing there. So he's speaking very openly about how he knew this church idea was a scam when he first thought of it in nineteen sixty five. But there's no explanation offered of how or when or why he changed his mind, because I think he did. He did end up forming a church, and it seems like maybe eventually he really believed he was a minister. He didn't end up forming the church that he and Rockwell had talked about. Rockwell was murdered in nineteen sixty seven, so that plan was out the window. When Rockwall's murderer, John Patler went on trial, Frank testified for the defense. A few months after the trial, American Nazi Party member Christopher Vivdnyevitch showed up outside Frank's house in Maine. The pair had a shootout, but no one was injured and no one went to jail. This apparent attempt to kill him ended Frank's interest in continued involvement with the American Nazi Party, but not with its core beliefs, and the idea of forming that church must have still been rattling round in his mind too. He lived quietly for a few years. As far as I can tell, he pops up in some old issues of his local newspaper, the Ellsworth American, from time to time. In February of nineteen sixty nine, he was offering boxing lessons to local high school boys at a theater after school. A few months later, he called the fire department after losing control of a fire he'd set on his property.
Speaker 1: He says he.
Speaker 2: Set the fire to burn the grass on his property. I'm not entirely sure what he means by that, but it was treated as a perfectly reasonable explanation by the newspaper. After the fire was extinguished, firefighters walked the property just a double check that there were no lingering embers behind the house that could reignite, and they discovered two separate cases of dynamite, one inside of a rusty metal container and the other hidden under a pile of hay. Frank said he had no idea how that got there, and it wasn't his, and he was very grateful that the firefighters found it before something terrible happened. The paper doesn't mention Frank's history with dynamite, but.
Speaker 1: Maybe they didn't know.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Remember, Frank Smith owns about six hundred acres of land in Ellsworth, Maine. He bought it back in the mid fifties, not long after he was accused of several bank robberies, and in nineteen seventy he signed over the deed to all of his property to a recent law school graduate in Rhode Island. He just gave this man hundreds of acres of land. Frank's sister, Florence, who had also purchased some land in Ellsworth, sold her property to the same man on the same day. Frank would later offer the vague explanation that the gift had been a sort of bond for work done that he couldn't repay. The man's name was Brian Soreau, at least I think it's Sorow. I could only find one recording of someone saying this man's name out loud, and that person said Sorrolt, which is what it looks like spelled out. But the man in the recording also said Pawtucket in the same sentence. And I've been informed by the Rhode Islanders and the audience that it's Patucket, So I'm not sure we can trust this In my quest for accurate pronunciation. I did watch a couple of old videos of hockey fights. There used to be a Canadian hockey player named Eve Sorow, and both the French and English language announcers pronounce it Sorow. The name does seem to be generally associated with people of French Canadian descent. I really do go out of my way to try to pronounce names of people and places correctly, but it's an uphill battle when the world is full of people and places who proudly wield their pronunciation of proper nouns as some kind of weapon in an assault against the very idea of phonics. Despite my extreme efforts to find recordings of locals saying these things, I don't think I'll ever escape the humbling experience of the regional shibbaleth. I mean, I'm from Virginia, home of Buna, Vista, buck Annen, Batatat, and Stanton. None of those are spelled how you think I grew up in Norfolk?
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: If you say the R or the L, you're not from here. So I've chosen to go with Siro. I did my best.
Speaker 1: Now, if you're from.
Speaker 2: Rhode Island, you almost certainly know how that man's name is pronounced, because you probably know that Brian J. Sorow was elected mayor of Patucket, Rhode Island in nineteen eighty seven, and he was still the mayor when the FBI arrested him in nineteen ninety one for running a massive extortion, bribery and kickback operation out of city hall. But when Frank gave him all that land in nineteen seventy, he was fresh out of law school. He'd only passed the bar a few months earlier. Frank sort of implies that the land was payment for legal work, but it's hard to imagine what kind of work Sorow could have been doing for Frank that would have been worth six hundred acres of land in just a few months. As a recent law school graduate, he wasn't even licensed to practice in the state of Maine.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't want.
Speaker 2: To imply anything I can't prove. Brian Sorow may be disbarred, but he's still out there, so I'm not making any allegiance. But there are some clues here that Frank hadn't given up on the idea that the land could serve some criminal purpose. I couldn't find anything directly linking Brian Sorou to organize crime, at least not beyond his own racketeering case. No one's accusing Sourow of moving money around for the mafia. But I did find his father's name in Raymond Patriarch's FBI file, the same Raymond Patriarcha who ran the Providence mafia. The same Raymond Patriarca who maybe told an FBI informant to shoot Frank. In nineteen sixty one, an FBI agent wrote a memo about an unsuccessful attempt by their informant to get information about Patriarca out of one of his associates, a man named a May Sourou. Again, there's just no winning with French. I looked at a lot of videos of people saying this name. It's Aime, it could be m a, could be aim m Ama is what I saw most often. Don't email me about pronouncing quebequa French. A Ma Soro, Brian's father, and Brian's brother, Stephen Sorow, were involved in several massive and very confusing fraud schemes over the years. In nineteen seventy nine, A Ma Soro's name was on the incorporation paperwork for a company in Florida that was formed for the sole purpose of engaging in mortgage fraud. His name was actually on the incorporation paperwork for quite a few companies in the late seventies and early eighties, and most of those companies show up in federal court filings in cases for mail fraud, wire fraud, securities fraud, mortgage fraud, really any kind of financial crime you can think of, and some I hadn't heard of. Which is interesting because when Frank Smith did finally get around to forming his church in nineteen seventy eight, the paperwork filed with the state of Maine lists A May Sorrow as the vice president of the church and his son, Stephen Sorow was on the board of directors. Now, this doesn't fit neatly into my story, and it's not entirely about Frank, but it's too weird to leave out. When police in Florida showed up to ask questions about bad checks that were being deposited by that fake mortgage company in nineteen eighty, they didn't find the Sirows. They did find a washed up minor league baseball player driving a car with a forged registration. Bob Banalowitz played a few seasons on farm teams for the Saint Louis Cardinals, but he never made it to the majors. His name pops up in connection with a couple of pretty serious crimes, but I can't actually find any indication he ever served time for any of them. But he was definitely arrested that day in nineteen eighty The article about this curious incident with the bad checks in Florida says police believed the mastermind behind the scheme was a known con man named Michael Arthur Strauss, but by the time the police got there, Strauss.
Speaker 1: Was in the wind.
Speaker 2: A year later, in nineteen eighty one, Banalowitz and Strauss were together again, and they were both on the run from charges related to a mail fraud scheme in Pennsylvania. I think you probably know by now, but part of my process means spending a lot of time flushing out the details of events I know full well are not going to be relevant and they are not getting me any closer to finishing the episode. I have reams of notes about stuff you'll never hear about because it just isn't related to the story. In any way, even by my standards, Bob Banalowitz, the minor league baseball player, is not a character in Frank's story. I mean, he did some fraud with the father of the man that Frank gave that land to, but there's no way they have any meaningful connection, right. There was no reason for me to look up the court records for a lawsuit and alla Witz filed against Wynn Dixie after he slipped and fell in a grocery store in Florida in nineteen ninety nine. But I've got it in my notes, you know, when I was poking around learning a little bit more about this very tang gentially relevant character, because you never know what you might find, and this time I'm glad I looked.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: In nineteen eighty one, when Manolowitz and Strauss are on the lamb after their scheme with this Arose went busted, they hid out at a friend's house in Massachusetts, and the newspaper later reported that the FBI arrested a man named Theodor Green for harboring the fugitives. And that name looked really familiar, And it turned out I had it in my notes already, But surely it's not the same Teddy Green. I'm sure there are plenty of Teddy Greens living in the Boston suburbs.
Speaker 1: But what a strange coincidence.
Speaker 2: I know, you know that at this point I forged ahead on my mission to waste my own time, and sure enough it wasn't a coincidence. The ages matched up, which was a good clue. But I think what really sealed it for me were the descriptions of Theodore Green in those articles written in the nineteen eighties. I mean, how many Teddy Greens in Boston could there be who had a history of bank robbery and once escaped from a Massachusetts state prison by shipping himself out in a crate of dirty rags. There's just no way. The Boston suburbs are home to two men named Theodore Green, who famously tried and failed to escape from Alcatraz on a dozen separate occasions.
Speaker 1: It's the same guy.
Speaker 2: The man who is harboring those fugitives in nineteen eighty one is the exact same Teddy Green who was accused of robbing a bank with Frank Smith in Menford, Massachusetts in nineteen fifty two. They were members of the same bank robbery gang. All throughout the early fifties, So what is Teddy doing back in the story thirty years later. It's an accumulation of hints that proves nothing I know, but it suggests that Frank never lost touch with his old associates even as his interests shifted and his public presentation evolved. He may have put on a clerical caller, but he's still doing business with the same people. When Brian Sirow was indicted in nineteen ninety one, his finances were obviously of great interest to investigators. He was accused of raking in about a million dollars in bribes and kickbacks over just a few short years. They made the arrest after they got him on a wire tap accepting a bribe, but that wasn't enough. They wanted the whole picture, and the whole picture included Frank and Claudia Smith. A nineteen ninety two article in the Providence Journal says prosecute weren't actually sure where all the money went. Sorow definitely pocketed hundreds of thousands of dollars, but it didn't look like he was spending it. He didn't live a lavish lifestyle. He didn't drive a flashy car, or live in a mansion.
Speaker 1: His home was.
Speaker 2: Described as heavily mortgaged, and the missing money wasn't in his bank account. Bryan Sirou ended up pleading guilty, so there was no trial, and any court filings that might exist in that file are in a box on a shelf at the National Archives, so there's no chance of getting my hands on them anytime soon. All I really have to go on here is what the federal prosecutor told this reporter in nineteen ninety two. A lot of that missing money went directly into a bank account opened by Claudia Smith. Soroa was listed as a trustee on the account, and he was observed making cash withdrawals from it a few weeks.
Speaker 1: After he was arrested.
Speaker 2: Frank Smith never really held a straight job, at least not after the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 1: I can't find any evidence.
Speaker 2: That Claudia worked either, but they always had money. Claudia told people they didn't need to work because she had family money, some kind of large inheritance from oil wells on land her family owned. I'm not entirely sure that's true. Her family does not appear to have been wealthy, although I did find a notice in a newspaper in Alabama from nineteen fifty about a pending claim in court. It looks like Claudia and her sister shared a one sixty fourth interest in a parcel of land in Chalktawk County, and one of the other interested holders of that land was the Magnolia Petroleum Come. So there may have been oil and gas on that land, but I don't think it was the kind of oil money that funds you for life. But for decades, Claudia Smith and Brian Sorow were sharing access to several bank accounts. In nineteen seventy nine, when Soirow needed money for a condo development project he was working on, he took out a loan from the trust. In nineteen eighty six, Sorow's law partner and personal attorney, Charles Rogers, borrowed twenty five thousand dollars from an account held by Frank Smith's church. There's no evidence either of these loans were repaid. Disclosures filed with the State Ethics Committee show Sirow borrowed undisclosed sums from the Smiths in nineteen eighty nine and nineteen ninety. He refused to comment on how much money he borrowed, what it was for, and when or if it was repaid. There are a lot of unanswered questions about this money, but it does start to paint a picture that Frank really was using that land exactly how he'd imagined when he proposed the idea to George Lincoln Rockwell, make a fake church and use it to move dirty money around. Like I said, I don't think anyone is outright saying Brian Sirou was involved with organized crime, but Frank never really left that world. In nineteen ninety two, Frank's church owned three cars, and for some reason, he registered them in Rhode Island, not Maine. The cars were registered to an address in Patucket, specifically to a trailer park owned by lifelong patriarcha crime family associate, albo Vitally. According to Claudia Smith's driver's license, that's where she lived. Whether she did live there at some point or not isn't actually clear. The FBI couldn't find her in nineteen ninety two. Frank said she wasn't living with him anymore and wouldn't say where she might be. She did get two traffic tickets near Frank's home in Ellsworth in nineteen ninety four, and the citations indicate her license listed a Patucket address. When she died in two thousand, she was living in Massachusetts, and I can't find any record that the couple ever filed for divorce, and the paperwork for Frank's church was never updated after it was filed in nineteen seventy eight. So even though she's been dead for twenty five years, Claudia Smith is still the registered agent for the Church of Christ and Israel. But back in nineteen ninety two, the US Attorney's Office and the FBI couldn't locate Claudia, but they did subpoena Frank to testify before a grand jury. This wasn't the grand jury that indicted Siro It was one that came a few months after his arrest when they were looking into bringing additional charges against other people related to the corruption in Patucket. Grand jury testimony is secret, of course, so who knows? But Frank said on the stand and there Sirro's lawyer refused to comment on it, and so did the federal prosecutor.
Speaker 1: Not a word.
Speaker 2: The Providence Journal reported that one unnamed source said Frank showed up to court and a clerical caller. I guess to try to sell the idea that he was just a mild mannered Christian pastor whose attorney managed his money in a completely normal and legal way. It does kind of remind me, though, if you remember a few weeks ago in nineteen fifty, Frank and his little brother William were both arrested in connection with that bank robbery in Medford. And when they raided his little brother's apartment, they found a bunch of guns and amo and lock picks and dynamite. But they also found a suitcase full of disguises, including a clerical coller investments. So forty years apart, he's got a real church now kind of, but the clerical caller is still just a disguise. Brian Siro eventually pleaded guilty and spent five years in prison. There's no other reporting I can find on where all that bribe money ended up, whatever came of the subpoenas for Claudia Smith's bank accounts. But let's get back to Frank and his church. The Siro's showing up on that paperwork and in Frank's bank accounts is a hint that the church is less of a religious institution and more of a front for some kind of financial sin inigans. So the church is maybe not one hundred percent sincere, but what kind of church is he claiming to lead? In January of nineteen seventy eight, Frank Smith filed paperwork with a State of Paine for an organization called the Church of Christ in Israel, just a few weeks after the church legally existed on paper. Brian Sirow gave all of the land back to Frank, not to him personally. He gave it to the church, and the church was initially granted tax exempt status, but the main state Bureau of Taxation rescinded that exemption in nineteen seventy nine, and that's when Frank went to the press. He claimed to have been ordained four years earlier, so that would be nineteen seventy five, although when he was asked the same question in nineteen eighty two he said he'd been ordained for five years, which would mean he was ordained in seventy seven, and I think the later date is the correct one. He probably fudged it the first time to make it sound like he'd been a minister for more than a few months before he incorporated his church. The article in nineteen eighty two quotes Frank saying that he was ordained into the Christian identity movement by a man named Glenn Wheeler in California.
Speaker 1: That name meant nothing to me.
Speaker 2: I never say that. I always know the guy. But who's Glenn Wheeler? I mean, with Frank's connections to the American Nazi Party and by extension, the broader movement, I kind of figured he would have been brought into Christian identity by a bigger name, you know, a James Wickstrom or a William Potter, Gale, Dan Gaman. Maybe not Glenn, just some guy named Glenn. But I guess that's kind of the thing about Christian identity. It's not a church, it's an idea. Anyone can just start writing a newsletter full of bizarre, racist, biblical hermeneutics. Anyone can just mail certificates out saying I'm a minister and now you are too. Sometimes a Christian identity group might have a church in the traditional sense, you know, a building and a congregation, something like Dan Gayman's Church of Israel and Missouri. Other times it might look like a church at the center of an entire compound, like Robert Miller's Aloheim City in Oklahoma or Richard Butler's Area Nations in Idaho. Sometimes a Christian identity group is less of a congregation and more of a terror cell groups like the Aryan Republican Army, the Order, or the Covenant the Sword in the arm of the Lord. But it seems like the most common kind of Christian identity minister is a guy whose church exists only in his newsletter. The Laporte Church of Christ never had more than a few dozen members, but Pete Peters had a radio show, a monthly newsletter, a television program in thousands of fans all over the country. Kingdom Identity Ministries didn't have a church at all, but they sold books and tapes, and they broadcast their sermons twenty four to seven over shortwave radio. Sheldon Emery's Lord's Covenant Church was so small they met in his living room, but through his America's Promise Ministries, he bought airtime on stations all over the country to broadcast his message. You know, it's kind of like what Brian Eno said about the Velvet Underground. They may not have sold a lot of albums, but everybody who bought one went out and started their own band. These physical congregations were small, but a lot of the people who got the message would go on to have an outsized impact, and you can usually trace their ideological lineage to a specific organization. Three men associated with America's Promised Ministries bombed an abortion clinic and a newspaper in nineteen ninety six. Another member of that congregation shot five people in a Jewish community center in Los Angeles in nineteen ninety nine. When Eric Rudolph attended Dan Gayman's Church of Israel and Missouri in the eighties, Gaiman tried to play matchmaker with his own daughter. He wanted to make Eric Rudolph his son in law and perhaps his successor. A decade later, Rudolph set off a bomb at the Atlanta Olympics before bombing two abortion clinics and a lesbian bar. Members of the Order murdered Alan Berg, a Jewish talk radio host, because he was disrespectful in an on air debate with Christian identity minister Pete Peters. A man named Michael Ryan was so inspired by the sermons of James Wickstrom that he started a small cult compound and eventually brutally murdered two of his own followers when they expressed doubt about Christian identity teachings. So I think there is value in finding out who Glenn Wheeler was, who was it that ordained Frank, and what version of Christian identity was Frank Steepton, Because there is a wide spectrum everything from guys who've never actually opened a Bible but are likely to nod in agreement if you tell them it says black people aren't human, Guys like George Lincoln Rockwell who don't actually care at all what's in the Bible, but they have a cynical understanding of the political value of tricking that first kind of guy into being more racist. And then there are guys who truly believe that God commands them to incite a bloody race war because of a genuinely held belief in a warped understanding of pre millennialist eschatology. And then there's kinds of guys you and I have never even imagined, and all kinds of guys in between. Sometimes it really is just a tax dodge, but sometimes it is a terrorist plot aimed at triggering armageddon. So that's why I usually just give you the short version. It is a racist misunderstanding of the Book of Genesis. There's a lot going on here. The man who actually ordained Frank into the Christian Identity ministry is pretty obscure. Admittedly, I could keep digging. I could try begging the Special Collections Library and at the University of Kansas to scam the papers in a box labeled Glen Wheeler nineteen seventy seven to nineteen seventy nine in their collection of James Mason's personal papers. You can only access that collection in person due to the discovery of some child pornography in the materials Mason donated to the library.
Speaker 1: I've heard you have.
Speaker 2: To request the boxes in advance so they can be pre screened. I will make it out to Kansas one day, but for now I do know what at least one of those documents is Glenn Wheeler ordained at least one other person besides Frank Smith in nineteen seventy seven, it was James Mason, the author of the Adam Waffen Bible Siege. While Mason was in prison in the nineties after an arrest for sexual exploitation of a minor, he wrote a collection of essays on the Bible. In that book, called One Verse Charlie's, he includes a scan of the certificate Glenn Wheeler mailed him in nineteen seventy seven ordaining him as a minister in Christ's Identity Church. I did find a little bit more about Glen Wheeler, but nothing about his church. None of what I found about Glen Wheeler had anything to do with Christian Identity. He ran for California State Assembly in nineteen seventy on the American Independent Party ticket. The party formed so that George Wallace could run for president on the segregation platform, and he actually met with George Wallace at some point in nineteen sixty nine, and earlier in the sixties he formed some kind of racist discussion group called Western Front with a man whose real name is Walter White, but I think that's for another day. Walter White had a very interesting wife. But as far as Frank goes, I'm not sure he had much contact with Glenn after the ordination, but he was in touch with other people in the movement. When Frank was explaining his beliefs to a reporter in nineteen seventy nine, he mentioned a few guys by name, he talked about Dan Gaman and Sheldon Emory, and when he was back in the newspaper again in nineteen eighty two, complaining about his ongoing battle for tax exemption, he told a reporter that Sheldon Emory had offered to connect him with a group called the Christian Law Association for some assistance, and he also mentioned a recent conference in Wisconsin. Based on the location and the timing, that has to be James Wickstrom. Frank clearly had a soft spot for Sheldon Emory. He dropped that name twice in interviews about his church, and his name shows up in at least one of Emory's newsletters as a supporter. In nineteen eighty hosted an event in Sandford, Maine. It was advertised in the newspaper as a benign sounding inter faith Easter program featuring gospel music and the presentation of a film.
Speaker 1: The film was called Airs of the Promise. It's a very generic sort of phrase, and.
Speaker 2: It's a phrase that appears in mostly innocuous religious writing that doesn't have a Christian identity angle. The phrase itself doesn't necessarily mean we're in Christian identity territory, so it made it a little hard to search for, but this videotape is actually something pretty specific, and Frank seemed to really like this tape. Not only did he show it at the Interfaith Easter program in nineteen eighty, in nineteen ninety one, after he testified before that Grand jury in Rhode Island, he mailed a copy of this video to the federal prosecutor.
Speaker 4: Why of all the people of the earth, has it been only this white Caucasian race, these so called gentiles, who have claimed Jesus Christ as their God, and who have taken this book as the foundation of their religion. The answer, the truth, which is avoided and even denied by the clergy, is simple. These people are the Israelites, the children of Abraham, God's chosen people.
Speaker 2: I did watch airs of the Promise. It's only about forty minutes long, and it was a waste of my time. But the voice you just heard is Pastor Sheldon Emory of America's Promised Ministries, a Christian identity minister in Arizona. So we know Frank was a big fan of Emory and they were in touch at least a little bit. There is a scan of an undated pamphlet published by Emory's ministry. There was archived in the Gordon Hall and Grace Collection of Dissenting an extremist printed Propaganda, that's say special collection of materials held at the Brown University Library. And this old pamphlet from Emory's ministry has a stamp on it showing that it was mailed to the Church of Christ and Israel. Now that's the name of Frank's church, but the address isn't right. Frank's church was in Ellsworth, Maine, and this stamp says Dover, New Hampshire. It turns out that when Frank told reporters that he had started churches in other New England towns that he traveled around check in on from time to time, he wasn't totally lying. I mean, I don't know that any of these churches had members, but there was at least a guy in New Hampshire. The church in Dover was headed by a man named Alan Goodrich, who was incidentally one of the other hosts at Frank's interfaith Easter program. There isn't much surviving evidence that I can find about Frank's church directly. He doesn't appear to have published a newsletter, at least not one that was archived online or written about in a newspaper, at least not that I could find. And there are factors complicating the search. Churches that share the same name might be chapters of the same organization. They might be inspired by one another, or totally unrelated and just inspired by the same source material. Sometimes the same organization has several names over time or even at the same time. A lot of Christian identity organizations have names that look like they were assembled by drawing a few words out of a hat. And there's only so many words in the lexicon here. It's just a sort of random hodgepodge of the words Christ, Jesus, Israel, Identity, Kingdom, ministry, America. So you do sometimes end up with organizations that have the same name that don't have anything to do with each other. But there aren't very many references to something specifically called the Church of Christ in Israel. Now, there is a Christian denomination called the Church of Christ, and I think it does have a church in Israel that is a completely different thing. But within the Christian identity movement, there are only a few references to something called the Church of Christ.
Speaker 1: In Israel.
Speaker 2: And I know Alan Goodrich's church in New Hampshire is connected to Franks because Goodrich wrote a letter to Grace Hoague in nineteen eighty one that was preserved in the Hull Hoague collection. But there were at least two other people using the name the Church of Christ in Israel, and both of them pop up in the nineties. There was a chiropractor and Sei California, who wrote prolifically in a very unhinged newsletter, but he doesn't seem to have done much else. And then there was a group and a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania. The Church of Christ in Israel in Pennsylvania was run by a man named August Christ at the direction of James Wickstrom. So there is a chance that the shared name here indicates some relationship, because I believe Frank was in touch with Wickstrom, but I just can't find the connective tissue to prove this. It would be just like Frank to have known August Christ, though I mean, Frank knew all kinds of strange characters. Frank was getting into hijinks you just wouldn't even believe, So it would make perfect sense if he knew a man like August Christ, he might have lived a life stranger than Frank's. He served nine months in the Navy during the Vietnam but he was discharged for being unfit to serve. He was a clansman. When the Aryan Nations splintered after Richard Butler's death, he led one of the factions, and he tried to form an alliance with Al Qaida. He had his own Christian Identity church. He was on two episodes of Jerry Springer, and before he went to prison for fraudulently obtaining veterans benefits and a truly horrific series of sex crimes against children. He lost both of his legs to diabetes. We will have to come back to August Christ, but.
Speaker 1: I think we're done with Frank.
Speaker 2: Though I'm not done with the stories going on all around him. But I haven't decided yet. If we're staying here, we're moving on for now. I did spend an awful lot of time this week reading some shockingly racist interpretations of the Bible based on a misunderstanding of ancient Greek, so I think I will have to tell you a little bit more about the man Frank Smith ordained in two thousand. I mean, if we're going to talk about guys who believe Eve had sex with a snake in the garden of Eden, there's just no avoiding Bill Fink's weird blog.
Speaker 1: But Frank's pardon, the story is over.
Speaker 2: Francis Joseph Smith, the Second, the man George Lincoln Rockwell called the Holy Father, the man the FBI called Boston Blackie, a bank robber, bomber, loan shark, Nazi, and Christian identity minister. Died on October second, twenty twenty, just shy of his one hundredth birthday. He signed a will a year before he died, and in it he left what little he had to his daughter. He scratched out his initials at the bottom of a page whose final line reads, I have not left my son anything, and this was a deliberate choice. Frank's actual parting gift to his son was leaving his mailing address on file with the city as the point of contact for the church. The church still owns all that land, and as of this recording, the city of Ellsworth, Maine, is still sending Frank's son past due notices or a growing real estate tax Bill. He never did convince the State of Maine that it was a real church. Weird Little Guys as a production of Coal Zone Media and iHeartRadio. It's research, written and recorded by me, Willy Hunger. You probably noticed that I have a cold this week, so I'm sorry my voice sounds a little nasily. Our executive producers are Sophie Lettterman and Robert Evans. The show is edited by the wildly talented Rory Gagan. The theme music was composed by Brad Dickert. You can email me at Riddle the Guy's pot Guess at gmail dot com. I will definitely read it, but I probably won't answer. It's nothing personal. You can exchange conspiracy theories about the show with other listeners on the Weird Little Guys subreddit, and if you're listening to this around the time it came out, you can go over to the subreddit and post in the pin thread if you have questions you'd like answered in an upcoming Q and A episode. I think we'll be doing that sometime in December. As always, don't post anything that's going to make you on my Weird Little Guys